Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chevy Silverado/GMC Sierra - Owners hangout

Comments

• obyoneobyone Member Posts: 7,841
    Are they getting rid of all those L-1011's? I used to be a frequent flyer with them because IMO they had the best 1st class food....stewardess were not bad too compared to those on United who mostly all are nearing retirement age. Since we talk about quality a lot of times here on Edmunds, Continental Airlines has won the JD Powers award for the past 5 years running......don't care for their food tho.

On the toolbox, you may want to investigate it further cause GM REQUIRES that you install the bed support brackets prior to installing either a toolbox or a ladder rack. They don't say why but I suspect its due to a weak bed. BTW, the other topic is called Chevy Silverado - Continued XVIII and here's a link to that post.

obyone "Chevy Silverado - Continued XVIII" Jan 21, 2002 10:18pm
  • snowstormsnowstorm Member Posts: 5
    Looking to replace my 93 Dodge with a new pickup and noticed that the front bed width is 64" while the rear dimension is 62"! This will not allow my current 63 1/2"Highway products to fit' I'm referring to the inside of the top bed rail. Anyone notice this or did I just encounter a Monday truck. Ed B.
  • kg11kg11 Member Posts: 530
    The're all like that.Ram and F150 are too.I don't know about Ford SD.My Sierra 2500HD is 63 3/4 front 62 back.
    kip
  • snowstormsnowstorm Member Posts: 5
    My 93 Dodge varies 1/4" front to back and have measured the 2002 Dodge with the same tolerance.Will now check the Ford SD. Seems like one would have to have a custom shell made for it to look good,but that is not my concern. I can solve my potential problem by installing my toolbox on a 2x4 getting the lid over the rail. Ed B
  • sonjaabsonjaab Member Posts: 1,057
    Thats funny !
    Out of all the GM saleman I spoke with
    only ONE knew WHY ! The others just said:
    DUH! ya just can't............
    Guess where I bought my new 01 !......Geo
  • dch0300dch0300 Member Posts: 472
    Thanks for the link to the info on reinforcement kits. Much appreciated.

Funny thing is though, when I bought my truck Chevrolet had a promotion going. If you bought a new Silverado you got a free Adrian Steel toolbox ($500 value). Nothing was said to me about having to reinforce my truck before I installed it.

I had a great flight in the new Delta 767-300 yesterday. We took it up to 39,000 feet over the Olympic Mountains. With lots of fresh snow they looked spectacular.
    One thing I can say about the Delta pilots is that they like to test the heck out of their new airplanes before they take delivery. I was sitting in the second observer's seat for most of the flight. We did lots of communications checks, "stick shakers" which puts the airplane almost in a stall condition, a few yaw tests which make it feel like the back of the airplane wants to pass the front of the airplane, and a decompression test which drops the oxygen masks when the pressure in the airplane reaches 14,000 feet equivalent.
    At about 60 miles out the Delta pilot put the airplane in an autoland condition. And when we were about 1,000 feet from the runway, only then did he disconnect the autopilot and put his hands on the yoke to finish landing the airplane manually.
    No matter how much fun it is to do these tests on a 767 or 777 airplane, nothing beats doing them in the "queen of the skies" a 747-400.
  • ryanbabryanbab Member Posts: 7,240
    truck beds being to weak

Parked next to a newer Z71 like mine. He had a toolbox in his truck and i noticed the bulk head (part of bed closest to the trucks cab under the rear window) was bent in like a V and actually touching the cab. Wonder how it happened. Bet he was hauling something and hit the brakes
  • txyank1txyank1 Member Posts: 1,010
    tough day at office!
    A buddy of mine did the same thing with
    his new Ford hauling a lawn tractor !
    Smashed it real good ! He had a spray
    in liner too. I told him to get a drop
    in to begin with ! At least now he uses
    tie downs !!!!!!
    Hey Ryan.. who is the guy who posts here
    that made the fiberglass bin that fits
    under the rear seat. Wasn't he selling
    them? Somebody at putc is looking for one.
    Thanks......geo
    blackmaxx but i dont think he is selling them

MATT YOU OUT THERE?
    they wee talking about buying bins at Kmart....hehe.

dch300

According to my dealer, there are two kits one for the ladder racks and one for the toolbox and BOTH are for sale. Think the it was something like $50 for one and a $100 for the other. If as the TSB says, GM says its a must have, can't see them charging for it since it was there fault. I'm not done with the service manager yet...but it is irritating.

I guess the heavy wouldn't qualify for top gun?
    I'll check with my Chevy dealer on that kit for the toolbox when I have the truck in for scheduled maintenance this month.

747-400 (heavy) as a top gun? On one of our tests a few years ago that would apply. During this test we had to get the airplane below the horizon. And that meant flying it about 500 feet above the surface of the water through the Columbia River valley gorge in eastern Washington. You could almost see the whites of the fishermen's eyes as they looked up in amazement to see a 700,000 lb airplane buzzing over their heads. Probably got a few calls to 911 as a result of that test.
  • seeligseelig Member Posts: 590
    thanks for the link.
    after meeting Matt in person, you would certainely understand just how meticulous he is. the man knows his stuff.
    Was kinda curious if during testing, they do that kind of stuff?
  • jaguar0027jaguar0027 Member Posts: 387
    I heard that some time ago you test drive a GM, Ford, and I think Dodge over the same piece of road. I was wondering...

Of the three trucks you drove, which one had the best overall ride (as far as bounce with an empty bed) and comfort\handling?

Thanks!
    joints on the freeway. The rides went similar to the sales with Ford having the best, Chevy second, and Dodge last. The bottom line was that they all have that bounce over a certain type of expansion joint and wasn't only found in the Chevy/GMC trucks.
    obyone,
    I think barrel rolls are part of the flight test only when either Tex Johnson or when terrorists are at the controls.

Does anyone have a recommendation on a good grease gun (brand and where to buy it) that will work well on our new Silverados?
  • mledtjemledtje Member Posts: 1,123
    If you haven't seen BCO's pictures on the locations of the zerk fittings in a Silverado 4x4, take a look:

http://www.picturetrail.com/gallery/view?username=bco

Zerk 5P was changed to a right angle fitting for easier access. Also, removing the front skid plate will make life easier.

The brand of grease gun is not critical. Mine has a flexible rubber hose for easier access.

Mike L

• cowboyjohn1cowboyjohn1 Member Posts: 125
    David

Am curious it the Delta pilots did any simulated engine out tests?

cowboyjohn
    I found a grease gun at Checkers. Most of them have the full handle which requires one to have three hands. One to hold the fitting, one to hold the barrel and one to squeeze the trigger. The one I found holds the same amount of grease but allows you to hold the barrel and squeeze with one hand. Course you could also buy a battery operated one from snap on for a coupled hundred.
  • gvoigtgvoigt Member Posts: 63
    Save your money, forget those battery operated ones, they don't generate enough pressure to push grease into the spindles of a garden tractor, let alone a truck. Pneumatic ones are ok if you spend all day doing that kind of thing. The same ones you find on the Snap-On or MacTool rigs are available thru Sears for a lot less. I have a simple hand sized unit that I bought at the local hardware store. It is cheap and easy to use. I added an optional flexible extension to access those tight areas.
    cowboyjohn1,
    No, the Delta pilots didn't do any engine out tests on their customer flights. The only flights I went on where the customer pilots did engine out tests were on some 777's for El Al Israel Airlines. They tested them one-at-a-time thank goodness.

mledtje, obyone, gvoigt,
    Last time I checked I had 3 legs but not 3 hands, so it sounds like a manual hand sized grease gun with a flexible extension will work best. It also sounds like my life will be easier if I too change out zerks 5 to some right angle ones. I'll probably use the GM Part No. 12377985 chassis lubricant (as called out in my owner's manual) unless it is $20 a tube.
  • mledtjemledtje Member Posts: 1,123
    My grease guns (yeah, I have 4, 2 manual and 1 pneumatic and 1 manual converted for oil) all snap on the zerk and do not have to be held on while greasing. 2 hands is plenty.

When you buy right angle zerks, you need the metric (6mm?) ones.

Mike L
  • jaguar0027jaguar0027 Member Posts: 387
    Thanks for the heads up on the differnces in the ride. I may opt for an F-150 if Chevy cant make good on the vibration issues.
  • erikheikererikheiker Member Posts: 230
    My personal preference is a pneumatic type grease gun with a flex hose and an adjustable swivel nozzle. It makes getting to all the fittings so easy. If there is no air available, I'd go with the pistol-grip squeeze type over the lever operated one that takes three hands. I've had hoses pop off before, so I like to keep some pressure on the nozzle. I've never tried the battery operated ones, but as little as I use one, I would consider it a waste. An air one is only about 25 bucks. As for the fitting Ryan calls 5P, I agree that replacing it with a 45-90º fitting would make it easier to lube that one. It's a 6mm fitting available at any auto parts store. When it comes to selecting a lubricant, I prefer using Mobil 1, which is a synthetic. My 89 GMC was on synthetics from 9k miles til I sold it at 111k. I never had any problems with the front end and it was still nice and tight when I sold it, even after spending its life getting beaten up on Alaska roads.
  • degregdegreg Member Posts: 2
    Purchaced a 2002 Siverado 2500 HD Crew (with plow prep) 2 questions. If already discussed sorry! 1)Truck overheats (into red area)only with plow on, tried moving plow up/down/tilt-left/tilt-right nothing works-- seems like truck needs extra elect. fan on radiator. Question 2)- truck has 6.0 (votec 6 litre) rated at 300 hp & Denali (same block) at 330hp & Cadillac Escalade (same block) at 345 hp. What is the difference? top end? exhaust? THANKS!
  • rayt2rayt2 Member Posts: 1,208
    If your running hot while plowing then you have an issue to take up with dealer, you should have a larger cooling capacity with plow prep or maybe it's not included as is with trailer pkg.
    As for engine horsepowers I don't have a clue.

Ray T.
    making the hp difference
  • y2kgmcy2kgmc Member Posts: 23
    Hello group, is there anyone with access to 2001 silverado wiring diagrams? specifically the factory alarm(content theft). I just want to add a vibration/ glass breakage sensor to trigger the horn and lights, such as when you reach in and open a door with alarm armed . I believe the door handles have a switch that triggers this. 2001 2500HD......... Thanks Ed
  • everharteverhart Member Posts: 59
    I have a 2001 K2500HD ext.cab 6.0 with 8' Plow & only have a problem of running hot if plow is all the way up. I usually run with my plow off the road about 6", engine temp is about 190-200. Brent
    I too have a 01 2500 ld with a 8 ft western.
    My temp rises a bit ..but never over 200.
    My 97 chev. xcab would run hot at hiway
    speeds and sometimes the hot temp alarm
    (beep) and the temp guage would rise to
    about 210 or so. I had a 7 1/2 western
    on that one ! I wonder if the new GMs
    have the hi temp alarm (beep).
    Anybody know?............Geo

BTW: Check out www.plowsite.com
    Ask over there....Most of them people
    know their stuff about plowing and rigs!
  • everharteverhart Member Posts: 59
    Been their since Sept. --Ohiosnow--- Alarm not that I know of. I've owned a snowplow for over 27 yrs. I was answering a question for degreg. with a hot truck.
    Ohio snow huh? I see your posts. Looking
    back I see it was the otherguy who had a
    hot running truck (old eyes).
    Did you attend the snowplow BBQ in poughkeepsie ?
    Pretty good time ! Topless bar, resturant,
    and 24 hr diner across street from hotel !
    Great time woman stayed HOME !
    Great to meet a bunch of those plowheads
    in person ! Now I can put a face with the
    name. Sure hope they have one this year !
    ..........Geo
  • unitsupunitsup Member Posts: 4
    I am looking at a used 2001 Silverado with a V8 engine. How do I tell which V8 engine it is?
    tell you what motor it is. Also look on the manufacturer's sticker. One thing for sure...dont' ask the salesman.
  • xyz71xyz71 Member Posts: 179
    Look on the VIN number - count over to the 8th number/letter if it is a
    V = 4.8L
    T = 5.3L
    U = 6.0L
    G = 8.1L
    Yesterday I got an interesting letter from Chevrolet Program Headquarters. Part of it reads as follows...

"Everett Chevrolet is in desperate need to acquire several pre-owned 2001 Chevrolet 1500 Pickups in order to fulfill special used vehicle requests. Our records indicate you own one of these vehicles and our new car manages have been authorized to buy back your current vehicle.

We would like you to exchange your 2001 Chevrolet 1500 Pickup for any new 2001 or 2002 Chevrolet car, truck, van, or sport utility vehicle. Bring this letter for admittance to this event and present it to authorized representatives at Everett Chevrolet. You will receive a coupon book good for 100 rolls of Kodak film and a 35mm Camera just for attending."

Kinda sounds like a sales gimmick to me. However, unless they want to make it an even swap - my truck for a new 2002 HD truck. And besides why would I want to trade in a perfectly good, 14 month old, absolutely flawless truck with only 9,955 miles on it for one that might not be as flawless!!

Or maybe they just want to get their hands on my truck to see why it has been such a good and flawless truck?

It's close by, so I'll probably go there and see what the deal is. And my 5 year old son will probably like getting a cheap 35mm camera of his very own to take pictures with.
  • txyank1txyank1 Member Posts: 1,010
  • rayt2rayt2 Member Posts: 1,208
    Ya won't know if ya don't go, see how desperate they are for your truck and what they have to offer. Then let us all know so we can have our laugh for the day!

Ray T.
    is worth vs. 100 rolls of film and a cheap camera.
    About 1 month after I bought my new truck, the dealer sent me an invitation in the mail to a 1 hour "new vehicle orientation" meeting at the dealership. I'd receive expert information on my new vehicle plus food, drinks, and a free gift.
    When I got there the food was cheese and crackers, the drinks were 7-up, Coke etc, and the free gift was 2 bottles of touch-up paint for my two-tone truck ($5.95 value each) which would come in the mail. The orientation was pretty boring, I didn't learn anything new about my new truck, so I got a 1/2 hour nap while there. Was it worth it? To me it was but only because I got the free touch-up paint, and a nap. Can't get a nap at home with the kids around.

I've got to go there this Friday for some schedule service (lube, tire rotation, etc.) so I'll find out what it's all about it then. I'll post the results of this adventure on Monday.
  • erikf2erikf2 Member Posts: 100
    When I was looking to buy a truck two years ago, dealing with the folk at Everett Chev was a very good experience - no b.s., no pressure, the salesmen were well informed, they were willing to make a very reasonable deal, etc. I probably would have ordered a truck through them if the dealership across the river in Marysville (Roy Robinson Chevrolet) hadn't had the exact truck I was looking for in stock.
  • cpo3cpo3 Member Posts: 6
    Maybe one of you longtime GM P/U truck owners can help me, Iam in the market for a new P/U and I was wondering how the 2002 2500HD GM trucks are holding up, I now own a 1991 GMC Safari van which I bought new,the only trouble I have had with it is those dam junk brakes that GM puts on there vehicles, so my ? is how is the braking system on there trucks with all wheel disk brakes, are they holding up, another ? I need to ask is about this problem some owners seem to be having with engine knock and pinging, has this problem been fixed yet. Thank you
  • 4x4man4x4man Member Posts: 222
    My 2001 2500HD brakes are far better than the 97 half ton's brakes that I had. IMHO they finally got it right. I just upgraded to 265's and the abs is no longer sensitive over bumpy roads when stopping, some other people have complained about the touchy abs as well.

The knock on my 8.1L seems to be due to carbon build up as after I put a can of fuel system cleaner in, it goes away for a couple of thousand miles. I have not been concerned with my knock ever since. My 8.1L has never pinged with 85 or 87 octane gas, so I can't help you there.

Bob
  • kg11kg11 Member Posts: 530
    please see my (and others) recent posts on the "Chevy silverado / GMC Sierra w/8100/allison"thread
    kip
    "I can't get a nap at home with the kids around"
    I got 10 & 11 yo boys. I hear ya ! LOL...
    esp. with the woman YELLIN' at em'......Geo
    DCH.....your post MADE my day!......LOL
    erikf2,
    Everett Chevrolet is the dealer that I ordered my 2001 Silverado through. I too thought they were straight-shooters with no B.S. They wouldn't give me much for my 1989 Silverado though, only $3,000. So I sold it myself for $5,500 and only one week after I had picked up my new truck.
    If you want, drop me an email at hartze@att.net with your contact info. Maybe we can get together for a little while, look at our trucks, have a beer, and talk Mariners baseball.

sonjaab,
    I got a 2 year old daughter going through the terrible 2's, and a 5 year old boy growing like a weed. Sometimes after a long hard day at work, all I want is about 15 minutes of snooze time, just enough to revive myself a little. You know, just enough so that I can stay awake when the wife wants to hold a conversation with me in bed at 10:30 at night and I'm trying to get to sleep!!
    Ryan, you taking notes yet buddy?
    I also got a 20 yo boy who lives on
    campus at SUNY Oswego. Only see him
    for $$$$$. Or when he misses his mom
    or whomp and play with the little ones !
    4.0 grade avg. in Partying, girl chasing
    etc,,,,to be 20 again !!!!!!!......Geo
    "Ryan, you taking notes yet buddy?"

Yep :)
This discussion has been closed.