Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chevy Silverado/GMC Sierra - Owners hangout

Comments

• 4x4man4x4man Member Posts: 222
    Wow, I thought my wife was the only one to strike up a conversation late at night when I am trying to get to sleep...
    Funny they have the whole afternoon and dinner time to get what is on their mind out...but NOOOOOOOOO..... :-)

Bob
  • sonjaabsonjaab Member Posts: 1,057
    SAME HERE !
    Thats cuz the kids are awake and she has
    somebody else to either kiss or YELL at !
    .....lol.............Geo

BTW: Those late nite conversations are
    how i ended up with the 10 & 11 yos !
  • ryanbabryanbab Member Posts: 7,240
    im taking some good notes this is better than school hehe
    BWAAHAHAHAHAHAAA!!

Uh...oh crap...I better stop with the late night conversations then.... we ain't got no kids, yet...
    lol

Ryan-
    Keep takin' them notes, bolding several sections!!

Bob
    got the highlighter out
  • dch0300dch0300 Member Posts: 472
    I usually get home at 4 PM, which gives her over 6 hours to get things off of her mind.
    Last night we got her mom to baby-sit for us so we could go out for dinner on Valentine's Day. Well that gave us about 5 hours of one-on-one time for her to talk about anything she wanted. So 5 hours later we were back at home in bed and she was still wanting to talk about stuff.
    Luckily there was Winter Olympics Figure Skating on TV, so when she started watching that I got the chance to fall asleep.
    We should start a secret club for guys that have to deal with wives that do this to us.

Ryan, highlight the above sentence about figure skating, it may come in handy someday.

I'm heading to the Chevy dealer soon for my scheduled service and my 100 rolls of Kodak film and 35mm camera! I'll post what happened there when I get back later today.
    "Ryan, highlight the above sentence about figure skating, it may come in handy someday"

HAHAHA this actually worked this past wed (or maybe it was tuesday). GF came over and i had some hw to do. Turned on the olympics and guess what was on? Skating YIPPY gave me some time to get some stuff i needed to do done (like surf online haha)
  • edwardt1edwardt1 Member Posts: 20
    I'm thinking of changing the tires on my HD from
    245's to 265's or 275's any comments or suggestions it is a 4x4.

Thanks, Edward
  • txyank1txyank1 Member Posts: 1,010
    and it's no secret. It called MARRIAGE!
    Have to try that out...she's killin' me as I have to get up at 4am and she wants to yak yak yak till late at night. Then she wonders why I get cranky the next day...
    I love her to death, but "can't it wait till tomorrow??" :-)

One note here Ryan... DO NOT highlight the above statement, this will have you becoming good friends with the couch downstairs or a cold shoulder....
    hehehehee

-Doctor Love
    LOL
    Ok, I just got back from the Chevy dealer, and I know you all are just dying to find out about the free 100 rolls of Kodak film and 35mm camera.
    As we all pretty much guessed it was a sale gimmick. Just a tactic to get you back in there to try to sell you another vehicle. I told them don't bother, I only bought my truck from you guys 14 months ago and I'm not going to get rid of a flawless truck.... so just give me my free stuff and I'll be gone.
    As it turns out, if I send in a roll of film to U.S. Express to get developed they will send me an equivalent roll of film free. So I calculated what it would cost me to have them do my prints. Let's see $6.99 to develop one 24 exposure roll of film, $.08 additional per print if I want 4"x6", and $1 shipping, that makes it a total of $9.91. I can go to Albertsons and get 24 double 4"x6" prints for $6, and then buy a 4 pack roll of film for under $10.
    As far as the free 35mm camera.......let's just say it may be even too cheap for my 5 year old son to play with.

However, while I was waiting for my truck to get serviced I met a guy who is moving to another part of the state and is selling his boat. He has a 1991 Brunswick Spectrum, 19.5' aluminum, 3.0L I/O with kicker and an electric motor. He's asking $10,000 for it and I'm going to look at it tomorrow. You guys know anything about this brand of boat?
    I don't know anything about that particular boat, but have read of people not liking the performance of the 3.0L on anything around the 18 foot and larger for skiing and other stuff.

If you won't be doing watersports, then it won't matter. I have a 4.3L in my boat, 18ft, and sometimes it is not enough when pulling slalom (SP?) skiers. Water skiing, wakeboarding and tubing are no problem. Course my boat also has a 32 gal tank so that adds weight REAL quick!!

pics of my boat:

http://www.picturetrail.com/4x4man

Bob

• morin2morin2 Member Posts: 399
    I had a Brunswick Spectrum aluminum boat, but it was much smaller, a 16 1/2' side console V-hull with a 3 cyl. 50 hp Mercury. I think it was a 95. Very well made welded aluminum - it was often mistaken for a fiberglass boat from a distance because the only rivets were in the transom. Very light and very fuel efficient, it ran all day on 7 to 8 gallons, which was less than a buddy's jonboat & 25 hp Johnson. I sold it 2 years ago to get a bigger center console fiberglass boat to fish Chesapeake Bay & tribs.

With trolling motor and kicker, it sounds like this one is rigged for fishing. What about electronics, extra props, etc? I believe this boat is an orphan & Spectrum disappeared about 97, but check the NADA boat guide online for valuation. Last time I used it, you got 3 or 4 free value quotes. Offhand, without checking, $10K sounds very high.
    4x4man, morin2,
    I took a look at the 1992 Spectrum by Blue Fin this past Saturday. Overall it was not a bad looking boat. 19.5' long makes it seem big. It was in good shape however I don't think the boat was originally made to go on salt water, and he has had it out in Puget Sound (salt water) so the boat and trailer are showing problems because of that in many areas. A lot of the fasteners are corroding/rusting, and there is wall-to-wall blue carpet in the boat which will hold the water quite well....yuk! I was told that the original owner bought it new in 1992 for $23,000. So, for a boat that is over 10 years old and show signs of problems, I wouldn't pay more than $5000 for it.
    No Sale!!!

Ryan,
    When you replaced the rear axle fluid in your truck about how much fluid did it take? 2 quarts?
    my rear axle took slightly more than 2 qts. I estimated it to be 2.15-2.20 qts
  • revkerrevker Member Posts: 33
    do you have a 4.3L vortec in your boat?
    Yup, I have the 4.3L vortec in my boat with the Volvo Penta outdrive.

Bob
  • gvoigtgvoigt Member Posts: 63
    Ryan
    Talked to the service guys at the dealership about when a good time to replace the lube in the rearend. They were dumbfounded. Never heard of any requirement to do so. I thought I read somewhere it was suppose to be done at a specific mileage especially if you tow trailers. Do you got the facts?
  • xyz71xyz71 Member Posts: 179
    the 1/2 ton GM comes with synthetic gear oil from the factory - owners manual does not give a change interval. I still changed mine at 6,000. GM synthetic is $25.00 per quart.

Unlike Ryan mine took 4 quarts (he must have the rear end from a Tundra)- I changed the front diff at 18,000 - it took 2 quarts. This time I used Mobile 1 at $6.00 a quart. If I ever do the rear again I will use M-1.
    What rear end do you have? 2500?

Mine is a 1500 10 bolt. Mine is filled just below the fill line like it is stated in the manual and on the rear diff itself.

The stated change time for it is 500 miles of towing.

I changed the rear out at 18K. It was a milky fluid at first. SOme metal particles.

Also $25 a qt? I got mine for $22 a qt i think at the dealer. Maybe they upped the price?
  • revkerrevker Member Posts: 33
    yeah that's what i thought. I've got a 99 Bryant ski boat w/ the 4.3L 190HP vortec in it. Same ones i've got in my 98 Blazers. I've got the merc outdrive. 18'2" long, w/ 32gal fuel tank. What kinda boat you have? Sounds similar to mine. Have you done any mods on your boat?

3.0L in a boat larger than 18' will move it though but, you won't like the performance especially in the long run though. not enough umph from stand still. you'll be saying, "damn, why didn't i get a bigger engine", "i wonder what a bigger engine would feel like in this boat on WOT", among other things.
    The boat is a 1999 Larson Sei 186 (18 ft). I have been in contact with Edelbrock on their intake manifold for the vortec 4.3L, they plan to have it out by summer. The intake will be for a 4bbl carb and they have a 600cfm carb with a special calibration kit to run perfectly on the 4.3L. They were stating their non vortec intake increased hp by 17 horse. Right now I have a stainless steel 19 pitch prop that gives a good out of the hole shot. I did find this adjustable pitch prop that will allow you to have this massive skin peeling out of the hole shot while not effecting your top end speed. Check this out:

http://www.land-and-sea.com/marine/torque-shift/torque-shift.htm

The only downfall is the $1,000 price tag...I can do the dishes for a while to get the engine upgrades, but gonna have to do a bit more begging to get that prop!!!

On a side note, my dad has a 1995 19ft Bayliner Capri with the 3.0L 4 cylinder and if you load say four adults in that thing, it is a dog. But he just uses it to fish so no big deal.

Bob

I also have a 1500 - 99 Z-71 LT with 3.73 locking rear diff. I put in 4 quarts still was not full. So I took a drive to warm up the gear oil, them filled it up until it was flush with the bottom of the fill hole. Maybe 4 1/3 quarts total. This is a little over full - last time I checked it - hot from driving a little fluid came out of the filler hole when I removed the bolt. But when cold oil is not over bottom of fill hole.

I may change again at 36K - which would be 30K since last change. I plan on keeping this truck several more years.
    4 qts in a 3.73???

um ok
  • mledtjemledtje Member Posts: 1,123
    I think the rear end is supposed to be filled to 1" or 1.5" below the filler plug. If you can't find the fill line in your manual, leave me a message and I'll check my shop manual at home. You're probably overfull, which won't hurt much - extra drag to move and loss of 0.5mpg.

Mike L
  • mbwhitleymbwhitley Member Posts: 32
    Looking for a recommendation for a good source of GM Manuals. Need them for both a 2002 Silverado and 97 Venture.

I remember seeing recommendations for manuals that were better than Chilton's, but I can't find that post anymore. The only shop manuals that show up on the search engine is for Lexus.

Mike
  • y2kgmcy2kgmc Member Posts: 23
    the official shop manuals are avaiable from HELM INC http://www.helminc.com/helm/homepage.asp

there should be an address in the back of your owners manual also.

but sit down B4 checking price,I think the silverado manual is $ 120.00 or $130.00

• y2kgmcy2kgmc Member Posts: 23
    the official shop manuals are avaiable from HELM INC http://www.helminc.com/helm/homepage.asp

there should be an address in the back of your owners manual also.

but sit down B4 checking price,I think the silverado manual is $ 120.00 or $130.00

I know 1" below the bottom of the fill hole - but that is when the diff is cold. This is to allow normal expansion for when the fluid gets hot. It should be below when cold - level with the bottom of the hole when hot. I know I am a little over full - should have stoped at 4 quarts. Two is not enough.
  • mrmilkytoumrmilkytou Member Posts: 27
    I have a question???

I just picked up my 2002 GMC Sierra Crew Cab, Duramax, Allison, Locking Diff. I looked thru the recommended service. It says to check and fill, not change the rear or front axle fluid.

I can see changing it early for safety sake because of machining concerns during manufacturing or assembly, but after everything breaks in synthetic should last the life of the truck.

The only reason to frequently change it is with a locker the additive is needed for the clutches or if you tow a boat and constantly back into the water.

Other than that I see it as a waste.

Any comments??

Mr. Milky
    "The only reason to frequently change it is with a locker the additive is needed for the clutches or if you tow a boat and constantly back into the water."

The manual states to change it after 500 miles of towing

Also with the locking rear (G80) you do not need that additive thats only for the pre 99 trucks
  • dustyonedustyone Member Posts: 262
    I have only towed 485 miles, therefore I will not have to change mine. :)
  • obyoneobyone Member Posts: 7,841
    it cause you never know when you might end up using that last 15 miles.
  • obiggsobiggs Member Posts: 33
    HELP, my parking brake goes all the way to the floor and still is not enough to keep it from rolling down my 2% driveway. I looked under my truck and where 1 cable goes into 2, and it's tighten all the way (from the factory?) anyone having the same problem?
    I have to say that the more I use my 2001 Silverado 1500 LS ext-cab Z-71 the more I'm impressed with it.
    Yesterday I hauled 20 - 60lbs bags (1200 lbs) of river rock in it (directly over the rear axle and aft). The bed of the truck only squatted 2" when measured at the rear wheels. And the braking didn't seem to feel any different than when it is empty, it stopped just as quickly and smoothly. I just drove it like I normally do, as if I don't have 1200 lbs in the back.

Per a Truck Trend Comparison........

Silverado 1500 LT (empty) 0-60mph: 7.79 sec
    Silverado 1500 LT (1000lbs) 0-60mph: 9.34 sec

Tundra SR5 (empty) 0-60mph: 8.06 sec
    Tundra SR5 (1000lbs) 0-60mph: 9.86 sec

Silverado 1500 LT (empty) 60-0mph: 141 ft
    Silverado 1500 LT (1000lbs) 60-0mph: 147 ft

Tundra SR5 (empty) 60-0mph: 125 ft
    Tundra SR5 (1000lbs) 60-0mph: 139 ft

So it appears that when you load a Silverado 1500 with 1000 lbs, your braking distance only changes by 4.2%, so you can use your same braking habits and just brake your truck like you normally do.
    If you load a Tundra SR5 with 1000 lbs, your braking distance changes by 11.2%. So if you load this truck you had better remember to change your braking habits to accommodate for the load.
  • cowboyjohn1cowboyjohn1 Member Posts: 125
    David
    Interesting comparison. Where did you get the numbers - or was this a personal test set up by a well disciplined engineer?
    cowboyjohn
    Well disciplined engineers are hard to find these days. When I graduated from college in 1988 (Ryan was about 8 years old then), there were around 24,000 Electrical Engineers nationwide graduating then. I read an article the other day that showed in 2001 there were around 11,000 EE's graduating. The big jump, if I remember correctly, was in Forest Management. It has doubled in the past 14 years and has surpassed the number of EE's graduating. I hope this isn't a sign of things to come.

Our friend hillhound posted the link that showed the truck comparison in another topic.

Here it is.....

http://www.trucktrend.com/editorial/article_popup.jsp?id=30189&sidebar=1

• markbuckmarkbuck Member Posts: 1,021
    The adjustment you need to to is at each rear brake. I did it twice on my '99. The tophat unibrake parking brake is a bad design, the only spring to return the unibrake is outside the brake housing.

I use my parking brake as little as possible in freezing conditions.
  • kg11kg11 Member Posts: 530
    "if you load a Tundra SR5 with 1000 lbs"
    If you do that,you bought the wrong truck !
    kip
  • everharteverhart Member Posts: 59
    I've picked up 3600# of baged rock salt about 6 times sofar with my 2001 HD 4x4 ext cab & I very impressed with it's brakes. Plus it rides like a big old Caddy (60's thru 1975) with a 1-3/4 ton load & I've got 75 psi tire pressure. I've got just less than 4,000 miles on it in 6 months & this is my 5th new Chevy truck with no problems.
    In Jan. I was picking up salt & there was a Tundra loaded with salt it was squating pretty good, most of the guys were teasing him so when he took off trying to impress us his load shifted & tore the tailgate off. It landed on the road with 800# of salt crushing it, we laugh so hard we about died. Now if I'd only had a camera with me then I could posted pics of a Toy at work.
    Everhart,
    It is good to hear that you have a great truck. I can say the same thing too about my 2001 1500 ext-cab Z-71 after 14 months and 10,500 miles.
    You gotta start carrying a camera in that truck for those Kodak moments!!

My only Kodak moment was last week when I had to jump start a Ford. I hooked up the jumper cables from my battery to his, and his truck still wouldn't start. I then removed the jumper cable from the negative on his battery and clamped it to his engine block. And guess what, it started. Looked like bad bonding of his negative battery cable. And he just got done replacing the starter and the battery, but didn't bother checking the connection of the battery cables to the truck.

Every truck owner needs to understand and respect the limits of their vehicles. Wether they own a semi-truck, HD, 1500, or Tundra they all have their limits.
    What impresses me about my 1500 is that it handles almost exactly the same, and extremely well, when it's empty or when it has 1200 lbs in the back. With a Silverado there is no need to dramatically adjust your driving habits as you approach your trucks hauling limits. The same can not be said for some other types of trucks out there that are not truly meant to haul much. These other trucks are just an accident waiting to happen especially if their driver is unaccustomed to hauling or is overloading the truck.
    Yea I should, if just for when I pick-up salt I've seen some unbelievable things there, one guy when out over the curb & tore off his back bumper. Another had the rear springs mounts break & the bed ended up on the ground. I could go on & on so I'm putting a camera in the truck today for those Kodak moments.
    What do you guys do with all that salt you are hauling?
    I plow snow with my HD & salt the parking lots when needed with a salt spreader. I've only spread about 11 tons this yr. This winter hasn't been the best as I've plowed for over 27 yrs. but it has made enough to pay for the New plow & salter, & a years worth of Golfing.
  • sonjaabsonjaab Member Posts: 1,057
    No driveway queens for us !
    Save that for tooyota !.....LOL..geo
    does having your truck covered in 2 tons of salt count?

My truck is white/gray from the salt :(

It needs a bath
  • rayt2rayt2 Member Posts: 1,208
    Better get that thing washed you only have 5 year or is it 6 yrs.? rustthru protection. LOL We have had zip with snow here, in Poughkeepsie, N.Y., this year, they have already started issuing drought emergencies, resovoirs are down to 45% when normally this time of year at 90% capacity. I am on the town water which comes from the good ole Hudson River, don't think that will ever dry up, and get to wash my truck whenever weather permits. Also have a heated garage to bring it to when needs to be washed inside during the cold days.

Got my Extended Component Warranty in mail yesterday for the engine knock, exact same letter you got.

Ray T.
    I wash including a underbath every time I salt as sreading 1000# to 2000# of salt each time can realy eat up your truck if you don't. Best thing is 1 of my accounts is a completely touch-free car wash & a full wash is free everytime when I'm done.
This discussion has been closed.