Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chevy Silverado/GMC Sierra - Owners hangout

Comments

• tomh12tomh12 Member Posts: 240
    Sounds like lack of competition is the problem. I'm sure price caps will fix that....LOL
    I don't think oil/energy companies are above taking advantage of any opportunity to get the highest price for their product. (Gouge?) BUT, I also think the LEAST opportunity for that is offered in the free market with plenty of competition that price caps suppress. Hope you all don't get the California results.
    Tom
  • ryanbabryanbab Member Posts: 7,240
    Jolt is some crazy chit.

When it wears off its nappy time hehe
  • pat5000pat5000 Member Posts: 13
    My dad has a 2001 GMC Sierra. I noticed one of the speakers on the drivers side door is hanging inside the grill. Does anyone know how to get the grill off so I can access the speaker?? Thanks in advance!!
    you will have to remove the whole door panel
  • obyoneobyone Member Posts: 7,841
    elaborate on that?
  • mossjmossj Member Posts: 1
    Anybody know the rear bumper height, off the ground, of a stock GMC Sierra (2WD)?
  • mgdvhmanmgdvhman Member Posts: 4,157
    This is Ed's first moose 65" spread, the fishing pole is 5'6" long, He shot him fall 98.

http://www.teleweb.net/mgdvhman/Moose.jpg

N-Joy

- Tim

State mottos

Alabama: Hell Yes, We Have Electricity

Alaska: 11,623 Eskimos Can't Be Wrong!

Arizona: But It's A Dry Heat

Arkansas: Literacy Ain't Everything

California: By 30, Our Women Have More Plastic Than Your
    Honda

Colorado: If You Don't Ski, Don't Bother

Connecticut: Like Massachusetts, Only The Kennedy's Don't
    Own It-Yet

Delaware: We Really Do Like The Chemicals In Our Water

Florida: Ask Us About Our Grandkids

Georgia: We Put The "Fun" In Fundamentalist Extremism

Hawaii: Haka Tiki Mou Sha'ami Leeki Toru (Death To Mainland
    Scum, But Leave Your Money)

Idaho: More Than Just Potatoes ... Well Okay We're Not,
    But The Potatoes Sure Are Real Good

Illinois: Please Don't Pronounce the "S"

Indiana: 2 Billion Years Tidal Wave Free

Iowa: We Do Amazing Things With Corn

Kansas: First Of The Rectangle States

Kentucky: Five Million People; Fifteen Last Names

Louisiana: We're Not ALL Drunk Cajun Wackos, But
    That's Our Tourism Campaign

Maine: We're Really Cold, But We Have Cheap Lobster

Maryland: If You Can Dream It, We Can Tax It

Massachusetts: Our taxes are less Than Sweden's (For
    Most Tax Brackets)

Michigan: First Line Of Defense From The Canadians

Minnesota: 10,000 Lakes... And 10,000,000,000,000
    Mosquitoes

Mississippi: Come And Feel Better About Your Own State

Missouri: Your Federal Flood Relief Tax Dollars At Work

Montana: Land Of The Big Sky, The Unabomber, Right-
    wing Crazies, And Very Little Else

Nebraska: Ask About Our State Motto Contest

Nevada: Hookers and Poker!

New Hampshire: Go Away And Leave Us Alone

New Jersey: You Want A ##$%##! Motto? I Got Yer
    ##$%##! Motto Right Here!

New Mexico: Lizards Make Excellent pets

New York: You Have The Right To Remain Silent, You
    Have The Right To An Attorney ...

North Carolina: Tobacco Is A Vegetable

North Dakota: We Really Are One Of The 50 States!

Ohio: At Least We're Not Michigan

Oklahoma: Like The Play, Only No Singing

Oregon: Spotted Owl... It's What's For Dinner

Pennsylvania: Cook With Coal

Rhode Island: We're Not REALLY An Island

South Carolina: Remember The Civil War? We Didn't
    Actually Surrender

South Dakota: Closer Than North Dakota

Tennessee: The Educashun State

Texas: Si' Hablo Ing'les (Yes, I Speak English)

Utah: Our Jesus Is Better Than Your Jesus

Vermont: Yep

Virginia: Who Says Government Stiffs And Slackjaw
    Yokels Don't Mix?

Washington: Help! We're Overrun By Nerds And Slackers!

Washington, D.C.: Wanna Be Mayor?

West Virginia: One Big Happy Family... Really!

Wisconsin: Come Cut The Cheese

Wyoming: Where Men Are Men ... and the sheep are scared

- Tim
    Well that pretty well insults everyone, everywhere in the good old USA!!!!!

LOL

Nice chuckle to start the day.

Tom
    Someone needs to start a new topic titled:

"HUGE KNOCKER PROBLEM"

to replace the one shut down so the conspiracy theorist don't think GM pulled the plug on the last one. I'm sure the insults and name calling PF mentions are just an excuse and not the real reason....
    LOL
    Tom
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    One major daily newspaper is looking for folks who drive 2002 or 2003 yellow or orange cars, and another major daily newspaper is looking for folks who successfully or unsuccessfully attempted to negotiate the purchase prices of their vehicles at the end of their lease terms. If you care to share your stories on either or both of these topics, please send an e-mail containing a short summary of your experience and your contact information to jfallon@edmunds.com no later than Tuesday, May 14.

Thanks much,

Jeannine Fallon
    PR Director
    Edmunds.com

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• gvoigtgvoigt Member Posts: 63
    Last week Fox Valley Truck closed their doors. They were bought out by an individual who owns dealerships that covers just about every brand on the market. It seems like there will be no competition unless you want to drive a long ways. I really liked working with the folks at FV Truck. They had been in business for a very very long time. So when my lease runs out I guess I will have to do some traveling to order my next Sierra. Sad part is I knew with FVT I would have gotten a really good deal and have been treated like my purchase meant something to them, not just another 'sale'. Oh well. The good do die eventually.
  • txyank1txyank1 Member Posts: 1,010
    of the step in the middle.
  • xyz71xyz71 Member Posts: 179
    Is it the small speaker? Tweeter?

Had the same problem last week on my 2001 Tahoe and 1999 Silverado.

Let the dealer fix the Tahoe - then two days later had the same rattle in my Silverado. It was the same problem!!

1. Open door - lay on ground - look up at bottom of door - remove small screw.

2. Stand up!! - pull door "map" pocket straight up and out.

3. Remove door lock and power window cover. It pulls straight up and off.

4. The speaker cover is held in place by little tabs - they are part of the cover - you just need to reach in and bend them straight. I have small hands - so I could reach them on one side - enough to remove 1/2 of the speaker cover.

5. I then drilled 1/8" holes in the the tweeter - same spot as original bolts. They were plastic -and formed as part of the tweeter.

6. Used small screws to secure it to the door.

7. Put the cover back on -reach in and bend the tabs back.

8. Drink 2 beers and wonder why GM did not design a better system.

Good news - this has been the only problem with the 2001 Tahoe - been over 1 year - about 10K - only other trip to dealer was free oil change.

Dealer gave me another free oil change and also free inspection. Found a relay in A/C that was bad - said it shut off compressor and prevented max cooling - we had not even noticed the problem.
  • ricschricsch Member Posts: 540
    It is a huge loss for the Fox Valley to lose a fine dealership, that provided service after the sale! I couldn't believe the news when I heard it, guess there are no laws of a monopoly in the car business. Looks like money talks also, since I heard the deal was worth a few$$. I know my future vehicle purchases will be made from out of the immediate area also if it happens to be another GM vehicle.
    Has anyone purchased, or at least driven either the Denali or any other GM truck with 4WS? What is it like? I have been watching dealers lots around here and haven't seen any yet. Would love to hear feedback on how the handling is with 4WS. I think a crew cab is MADE for this option.
    Tom
    I work by a gmc dealer and about a month ago they received 10-12 denalis with 4ws. Today i passed a dealership that had about 8.

Havent driven one yet but i probably will soon
    Good to know they are hitting some dealers lots.
    Hope your wet vac duty didn't last too long last night.
    Tom
  • eric2001eric2001 Member Posts: 482
    The suds (beer) vac can always work all night...

Hey Tim, whatever happened to Mike? Haven't heard from him in a while now. Everything okay?
    -Eric
    He's got Digital Camera Itis!

...or just relaxing after a big project.....check the golf courses?

hehe

- Tim
  • catamcatam Member Posts: 331
    I posted this question on another thread, but I think this is probably the more appropriate place.

I am in the market for a used 94-95 Chevy/GMC full size ext cab. 4wd is preferable but not necessary. Also 1/2 or 3/4 ton are fine.

I am looking for info on any common problems, things to watch out for etc. when test driving. Any info along these lines would be helpful.

Thanks all for any info.
  • everharteverhart Member Posts: 59
    I bought New a 1994 Chevy Ext.cab K1500 4x4 short bed Silverado 5.7 V-8, auto,3.73 gears,loaded with all power options plus it had the Heavy Duty package. I plowed snow with it from day 1 & never had any big problems. I got 13 mpg city , 18 mpg straight highway. I sold it back in Aug. 2001 for $12,500.00 with 75,000 miles on it with a 7'6" Meyers plow the truck was in very good condition. The only things I can think of that had to be fixed were under waranty, heater control- needed electrial lube on contacts, seatbelt recall, & it did have a antifreeze leak on the intake behind the alternator. I talked to the guy that bought my truck the other day & he said he loves it no problems at all. Hope this helps.
    I had a '94 GMC SLE 1/2 ton SB, 4X4, reg.cab, 350, auto that I bought new in Dec. of '93. Put 93,000 completely trouble free miles on it and only replaced one set of front and rear brake pads. Sold it in 2000 when I got my new GMC 2500 EC 4X4 (also a great truck). My '94 was in such great shape that I sold it to my brother-in-law. LOL
    I REALLY did sell it to my brother-in-law and he is a nice guy. I even think he STILL thinks I am. I have not heard of any wide spread problems with these models. Good Luck.
    Tom
  • danogdanog Member Posts: 318
    What happened to the Chevy Silverado cont. XVIII topic?
    it no longer exists

You may wanna check out

http://www.gm-trucks.com

where trucks are actually discussed

• catamcatam Member Posts: 331
  • bamatundrabamatundra Member Posts: 1,583
    The Tundra is outselling the Avalanche! Man! - I would not buy any GM stock now!
  • quadrunner500quadrunner500 Member Posts: 2,721
    Shouldn't the Avalanche sales be added to GM's total truck sales? Ford SuperCrew is counted in the F150 total.

With Avalanche, GM added to its full size total nearly as many trucks as Toyota has in its mini-1/2 ton segment, in total.
  • danogdanog Member Posts: 318
    Thanks Ryan for the info.
    like to see these Tundra fans in a live discussion with trucks on hand........no PF to hold their hands....no restrictions......no rules....no censorship.....

ahhhhh....what a site

- Tim
    Yep!
    Tom
    Isn't Toyota selling more trucks than the Avalanche? I think that this says that true Americans are staying away from Chev's Mexican built abomination in droves!!
  • hillhoundhillhound Member Posts: 537

I guess true Americans only drive trucks with V8 iForce engines manufactured on mainland Japan!!
    What an appropriate response!

I hope that meter is DURABLE, 'cause I suspect it's going to get a lot of use.

LOL
    Tom
    BWHAHHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAAHAHHAHHAHAAA

.....that kills me

- Tim
    The Tundra does outsell the Avalanche - right? Are you denying it? Where is your BS meter going now?
    even compare in the same catagory??

the length you go to to grasp onto something amazes me.........

"after 20 years of VHS the first year DVD sales were lower.....DVD must suck!"

someone needs to explain apples to apples to this kid...

- Tim

..all comes down to lack of.......lack of size in pickups....lack of anything like an Ave......perhaps lack of some brains?....LOL
    Babs was bragging in all of the Tundra topics a couple of months ago about the Avalanche sales. I thought that you guys would like to hear the latest news.
  • sonjaabsonjaab Member Posts: 1,057
    AWESOME POST !
  • rayt2rayt2 Member Posts: 1,208
    Your a RIOT ! ROFLMAO

Ray T
    Tom and Ryan both admit they have knocking engines. Quad got rid of his. When is Chev going to fix this problem?

I might want to buy a Silverado when they achieve high levels of reliability and quality. When do you think Chev will achieve this - if ever?
    Yes i do have an OCCASIONAL knock. Mostly when the temps dip below 40 and only for 5-10 seconds on startup. I havent heard any knocks whatsoever since late february. Truck is awesome and wouldnt trade it for anything else (other than maybe a 2500 CC with the big block). I do have a 100K warranty and I am happy. I have full confidence the engine will last way past 100K.

My truck has been 100% reliable and id say the quality factor is 95%. Not to shabby in my book.
    I don't check in for a few days, and what happened? Where is the Silverado topic? Wait, let me guess, a couple of the "non-GM" owners ruined another board?
    -Eric
  • mpalombompalombo Member Posts: 186
    OMG Thats sooooo funny!

-Mark

BTW guys we had some crazy weather here yesterday. Check out my 2000 Silverado photo album at http://www.picturetrail.com/nh_mark

Some parts of Northern Michigan were to get snow as well too.......nuttin' surprises me until June is here!

fraaking in the 40's here last few days......no rain/snow....

- Tim
    we had 50s and rain all weekend.

Snow would have been nice
    We had 2.2" of snow yesterday, looked outside around 10:30 am, looked like Christmas, the pine trees were white with huge flakes coming down. All this after a 90+ degree spell in April.

Go to love it!

Mike: good to see you again, hows the links treating you, or are you spending all the time at the 19th hole?
    -Eric
  • chevy4mechevy4me Member Posts: 203
    Has anyone tried the AC rapidfire plugs on a 5.3l and is #12 the right plug for the 1999 ?
  • brickeybrickey Member Posts: 9
    I know its been discussed, but has the best aftermarket gear oil and additive been determied? I need to change mine, but I'm not sure what to use. Should the transfer case be drained and refilled also (27000 miles on a 2000 Z71)? How about the tranny and filter? Do I have the 4L60 or 4L80?

Rob
    You have the 4l60, the 80 is on the back side of the older 3/4 tons & and all the newer with the 6.0. As for fluid, I recommend Mobil1, but to each his own. Does your rear-diff require additive? I am not sure on that, as mine is a locker, not a posi, and no additives are necessary.

Not sure on the transfer case, any problems engaging 4WD? Won't hurt, but may not be necessary.
    -Eric
This discussion has been closed.