Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Jeep Wrangler

Comments

• goducks1goducks1 Member Posts: 432
    A friend of mine had that happen to him too. Apparently car thieves aren't the smartest bunch. Whoda thunk.
  • mac24mac24 Member Posts: 3,910
    It is a telescoping bottle jack though so I am back carrying it again.

Take a 12" square of plywood with you as well. It'll spread the load if you have to use the jack on sand.
  • drewmeisterdrewmeister Member Posts: 168
    mac24 is probably right. The only other possibilities get really ugly, things like piston-slap. However, an 04 shouldn't be having these issues. In order to make a better call, we probably need some more details.

1 - Engine? (4 cyl or 6 cyl)
    2 - Mileage?
    3 - Does it get better when the engine warms up?
    4 - You mention "could this be from not changing the oil", and the answer is of course yes, but how long and how many miles has it been? My 04 has 20k, so I would imagine you have to have at least that much. If you're driving in Miami city traffic and not changing the oil, this may be bad news...
  • skyking49skyking49 Member Posts: 112
    Anyone have the scoop on how this engine stacks up to the Inline 6? My wife just bought an 06 Wrangler X. The new 07 models seem to come standard with everything under the sun, Standard ABS, Stability control, wider, longer and they will have the V-6. I have heard good things about the Inline 6...words like bullet-proof etc. I am not unhappy with her choice but its hard to overlook all the standard features on the 07. I like the fact that the 06 is on the small side, its one of the reasons she bought it. She doesn't like riding around in a big SUV....still there are all those standard features.:)
  • jvprjvpr Member Posts: 48
    hi thanks for the reply!

how much do you think this will cost around?
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    As Mac already suggested in the P&S section, that should be covered by warranty if you only have 20,000 miles on it.

tidester, host
  • mijeeper97mijeeper97 Member Posts: 4
    Hey, i have a 97 too and the back door is the same as yours'. i tried all kinds of lubes too and nothing helped. i don't think there is anything you can do. sorry man.
  • Hi Everyone - Just posted some photos from last Summer when the family and I went to Silver Lake Dunes. It was a blast. Embarrassed to say I rented a Jeep rather than use my own...mainly because I wanted to "learn" from an experienced guide caravan style which I'm glad I did. Taking my own Jeep out there this year, though...can't wait for the warmer weather!

Feel free to check out a couple other photo albums I've got out there...

My photos

• cxxviii128cxxviii128 Member Posts: 14
    Awesome... I'm in Traverse City and have a place adjacent to the Sleping Bear National Park - where unfortunately you can't do this kind of thing. I just bought a Jeep myself; where are these pics from? Have any other recommendations for good spots/trails in NW MI?
  • Hi cxxviii128,

Silver Lake State Park is probably about a couple hours drive South from Traverse City. I'm actually trying to find off-road locations in Michigan and so far, I can only attest to Silver Lake Sand Dunes.

Silver Lake State Park

The area around the entrance has shops geared to support the dune patrons. You can buy the necessary flags and permits. I suspect they also provide access to air-up your tires following your dune run (I think they recommend about 10-12 psi to lay the tires on top of the sand rather than digging in with harder tires).

The place from which we rented the Jeep is...

Sandy Korners

Really nice folks there and I highly recommend them if you want to get a feel for the place on your first time.

Here's a link to Michigan's DNR ORV Trail Maps. Unfortunately, it appears most are not for vehicles more than 50 inches wide but I think the U.P. may have more trails that allow for our Jeeps.

Michigan DNR Trail Maps

I hope you find a place to exercise your Jeep. I'm trying to figure out a way to take a mini-vacation and drive down to see Tom and ride the trails at Turkey Bay in KY. Tom and others here have posted some wonderful photos of wheelin' down there. I'd like to do a Jamboree but I just can't shell-out the necessary admission costs for myself and the rest of my family. I figure for that money I could drive down to KY and wheel with Tom.

I think forest roads are the best bet for us in Michigan but be sure you get a DNR off-road permit. I've heard the ticket can be rather steep so $16 is cheap insurance. Please let me know if you find any good places to off-road in Michigan.

Happy Jeepin'
  • randyacerandyace Member Posts: 96
    Hello everyone....been away for awhile....

I want to purchase a cargo carrier (hitch receiver-type), but want one to fold up so as not to have to take it on and off continuously (except of course when needing to open the rear door).

I thought initially the carriers themselves folded up, but saw on J.C. Whitney's site:

http://www.jcwhitney.com/autoparts/ItemBrowse/c-10108/s-10101/p-100000223425/med- iaCode-ZX/appId-5000002004437/Pr-p_CATENTRY_ID:1000002234255000002004437

This is a receiver bar that folds up, as opposed to the actual carrier folding up. Is this what I'm looking for? Also curious about the fold-ups having enough room in concert with the spare tire.

Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks, Randy
  • jeepn1973jeepn1973 Member Posts: 1
    Hi,

This is my first time posting on this board, but I have been a long time Jeep lover, having various jeeps over the last 14 years. Currently I have a 73 CJ5, and a 2006 Rubicon.

I've got about 750 miles on the rubicon with the I6, and I'm hearing a couple of noises that have got me a little concerned.

1. A rattling noise from the clutch/transmisson (6speed) area. It happens with the engine at idle, and the clutch engaged (pedal up). I'm figuring, that this may be a clutch disk cushion spring noise, which may be no big deal. The transmission also seems to shift a little hard at times, almost like the clutch is not releasing completely.

2. A possible engine ticking, which is most noticeable when the engine is around 1500-2200 RPM under light load (usually in 3rd or 4th when cruising down the road at ~35mph), but I can also hear it slightly at highway speed, even above the road noise of the MT/R's. If I accelerate hard, the noise seems to go away. The ticking doesn't get any better when the engine is warm either.

I brought the Rubicon in for service and had the mechanic go for a test drive, and he denied being able to hear the noise. ( He also was bringing the jeep up to over 4000 rpm with every gear shift until I asked him if he wanted to walk back!)

Then, I had the service manager go for a ride, and he said he could hear it loud and clear, but that it was normal for an inline 6 that has not been broken in yet.

I've owned a couple of the I6's before, and have never heard ticking this loud, and both of those had over 100K on them.

Any thoughts? Thanks in advance!

-Tom :surprise:
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Welcome Tom. Please set up a CarSpace page and post some pics of that 73; I've been looking for old photos of my '74 CJ-5 and haven't found any yet.

Steve, Host
  • birdjaguarbirdjaguar Member Posts: 15
    Those pics are great, w/ the blue sky, dunes...wish I was there... ;)
  • jcountsjcounts Member Posts: 2
    Tom, I've had a Cherokee and a Grand Cherokee w/ the 4.0, and yes , they did tick very loudly, starting at about 70,000 miles.This engine is basically a very old design, so it may not be as "refined" as newer mulitvalve engines.However, the old 2.5 is the biggest piece of trash ever put in a Jeep vehicle(blew on e up at 110,000 miles. Hopes this helps
  • yjbobyjbob Member Posts: 56
    The "new" V-6 engine for the 2007 Wrangler is the DC 3.8L pushrod V-6. This motor (and its 3.3L variant) are widely used in the DC minivans (Chrysler Town & Country & Dodge Caravan). I ran the 3.3L motor in a 1995 Plymouth Voyager for over 130,000 miles with no major problems. I can't compare torque curves between the 3.8L V-6 and the current 4.0L I-6 because I have not had a 4.0L. (I have a 1995 YJ Wrangler with the 2.5L I-4 that has performed well for over 95,000 miles.) In the minivan, the 3.3 or the 3.8 seem to be powerful enough (I have a 2003 Town & Country with the 3.8L). I would be willing to consider the 3.8 in the new Wrangler if the engine access under the hood is reasonably good.

Although my 2.5L I-4 has an engine-powered fan drawing air through the radiator, I would not be surprised to see an electric fan in place of a fanbelt fan in the new Wrangler. I think the 3.8 has never had a belt driven fan because it has been installed only sideways in the front wheel drive minivans.

On another subject - regarding the 4WD connecting mechanism, I see a device on the front axle of my YJ that I have understood to be the 4WD locking mechanism (I presume this to be a sliding collar on a spline shaft). My understanding is that the transfer case is always connected to the front shaft and spins the front shaft and front differential. Disconnecting one of the front axles effectively disconnects the front end since the differential would be spinning the disconnected axle end. Is there an additional disconnect within the transfer case?

As always, thanks to all for outstanding technical discussions of Wrangler components.
  • yjbobyjbob Member Posts: 56
    I claim temporary insanity. Of course there is a shifter fork in the transfer case that connects the front propeller shaft in 4WD mode. I don't know where my brain went last night...

Looking at the service manual, I see the "shift motor" which is a vacuum-operated solenoid that connects and disconnects one of the axle halves in the front axle of my YJ. It is an automated way of disconnecting the "hubs" to decrease wear on the front differential in 2WD mode. I don't think the original "MB" WWII jeeps had one, but I remember being able to buy manual hub connectors for the CJ's. If I recall correctly, YJ's were among the first 4WD vehicles that let you disconnect the front diff from the cab without having to go to the front wheels. However, looking at the TJ service manual (2000), I see no mention of a front axle disconnect system. Is there some other disconnect device for TJ front axles?
  • randyacerandyace Member Posts: 96
    Well, never mind. I figured it out.
    I see no mention of a front axle disconnect system. Is there some other disconnect device for TJ front axles?

No, the TJ has a regular front axle with no disconnects, neither at the hubs nor at a halfshaft. In two wheel drive the front propeller shaft is disconnected within the transfer case, but will rotate when the vehicle is in motion because it's being driven by the front axle. In reality, having unlocking hubs does little to reduce wear, tear, or gas mileage, and adds to mechanical complexity.
  • tsjaytsjay Member Posts: 4,591
    Sorry you didn't get any replies, Rando. I didn't have any info for you.

It's unusual for a request for help to go unanswered in here. Guess not many folks checked the board yesterday.

Tomster
    Have you hugged your Jeep today?
  • mtngalmtngal Member Posts: 1,911
    Even Southern California can get winter once in a while. Interstate 5 was closed for a while this morning, and everything around is beautiful winter white - snow covered trees, etc. And the Unlimited soft top didn't seem to mind at all!
    Jimlw2 - nice pics of that Jeep you had as a kid that you've added to your CarSpace page.

We need more than one photo in your album, Mtngal. ;)

Steve, Host
  • lcs1lcs1 Member Posts: 1
    Hi Tom,
    I have a 2006 wrangler unlimited with the I6 and it makes the same noise. My dealer says its normal and could be the injectors. Hope he's right. Thanks
    Steve - I'm working on it, but at the moment it's snowy and not good photo-taking or jeeping weather. Maybe if we get a BIG dump of snow I'll get some better snow shots. At the moment I'm just enjoying what little snow we've had this year, and getting used to a new camera.
  • Hi Harriet - Great photo! Hard to believe I-5 closing due to snow rather than melting asphalt! The last time I was on it back in the 1980s I was going from LA through Bakersfield on the way to Sequoia National Park it was over 102 degrees before noon! Your green Unlimited and black softtop sure gives a pretty contrast with the ultra-white snow. Thanks for sharing and let's see more. I'm fascinated and regularly tell my wife about your daily commute from one extreme to another in terms of weather, traffic, and congestion. You give us hope by living at your dreams and driving your passions...good for you!
  • Thanks Steve...I think I've finally traced my Wrangler Fever to its original source. This was my favorite sand toy Tonka as a kid and when I found it in my folks' cottage crawlspace last Summer I realized my passion started earlier than I thought! :P

• Just wanted to share a comment from a Discount Tire rep. when I took my wife's Liberty there this afternoon to get the tires rotated after 6,000 miles. I'm still getting used to having full-sized spares after always having just those emergency mini-tires in my previous vehicles. I asked to have the "forward-cross" rotation per the manual and put the spare on the right rear with the left front tire becoming the new spare. The Discount Tire guy was very reluctant for fear of inducing drive-train problems by including the new spare. He checked the treads on all five tires and then agreed it would be OK because there was only a 1/32 difference in tread depths of the spare compared to the other tires. He said the limit is 4/32. Any difference over that and including the spare could cause drive-line problems on 4x4 systems. As with my Wrangler, they didn't do the rotation as a forward-cross even though that's what I asked for. They just did an 'X' (I had marked the tires before they rotated). In fact, it took him quite awhile to try writing down graphically what I wanted per the manual and he assumed they would probably have to come ask him what he meant. That tells me they rarely do that "forward-cross".

Mac24...I know you do your own rotations with every oil change each 3,000 miles. I haven't, yet, purchased the necessary jack stands and I'd like to get a good jack so until then, figured I'd just pay Discount Tire to do it. I used your advice to follow the manual on my Wrangler and Liberty by doing the forward cross with the spare on the right rear. Do you agree/disagree with the Discount Tire guy's 4/32 tread depth limit on including spare or not? Seems plausible. Based on his comments, I plan to check and compare tread depths and keep including the spare until that "limit" is finally observed.
    I am in Ct too..the Naugatuck Valley and can't wait for some warm weather. So no holes to be drilled and these will fit the 06 Jeeps?
    Based on his comments, I plan to check and compare tread depths and keep including the spare until that "limit" is finally observed.

Firstly, I'd be very unhappy when the Discount Tire guy didn't do what I specifically asked for in terms of a tire rotation. Second, I doubt that a 4/32" (1/8") difference in tread depth will cause a problem on either your Wrangler or Liberty. You don't want a practically worn out tire and a brand new one on the same axle, but he's taking it to the other extreme.

However, referring to the quote at the top, the whole idea of including the spare in a regular rotation is that "limit" will never be reached. One tire will always have 3k less than the others, though it won't always be the same tire, and that amount of wear won't come close to being a problem.

I just checked the Sears site and they have a 2 1/4 ton floor jack complete with a matching pair of axle stands, on sale for $27.49. That's just over half a tank of gas, and probably less than you paid Discount Tires for the rotation on your Jeeps. Just a thought. ;)
  • Thanks Martin - I knew I could count on you to set me straight. I'd like to stay and chat but I'm heading over to Sears...I hear they have a sale on just what I need to put me in control of my own tire-wear ;). Honestly, thanks for feedback!
  • jeff62301jeff62301 Member Posts: 310
    the cargo rack looks like the one I have,

I borrowed it from a friend to take 5 tires to StLouis, less than 200#'s bent the shaft in it and so I paid him for it, and put in a heavier shaft.

it said it was rated at 500 pounds, made by larin.

if you know anyone with metal working skills, you could probably build a nice one cheaper than buying a lightweight one.

Jeff

looking forward to a warm weekend, the soft top needs to go back on soon!!
  • mijeeper97mijeeper97 Member Posts: 4
    Hey guys,

I just put warn bumpers (front and rear with tire carrier) on my 97 TJ and they look SICK! If you are thinking about bumpers I definitely recommend warn.
    What a cool collector's item.

Remember when toy trucks were metal?...ahh the days.

Personally, I was a huge fan of "Stompers". (Which were, ahem, really plasticky)

BTW...something I just learned...regular HTML markup seems to work fine here. If you have a big picture to post on the board (like the one I used here) just give it a width setting in the URL code that the board uses. (example: width='320') This way, it won't blow the forum up past the ads and everything to the right.
    Hey, I may have both of the same problems. I posted quite the b**chy post complaining about my Unlimited making a pinging sound going uphill. The fix has been to turn the overdrive off going uphill at 40-50 mph (when stuck at that speed). This brings the rpm up over 2k, which gets rid of it. I've found it to be pretty bad on the highway about 1800rpm. So bad, I have to adjust speed a bit to get rid of it. I must admit, I'm also worried. I don't remember pinging this audible since the late-seventies Oldsmobiles my parents had... :P

The rattling noise may be something else, as I seem to have it too. It happens at idle, and at the first touch of throttle. It may not be the same as what you have, but it might be. Seems to be much worse in cold temps. There is a person in the problems solutions thread that said they had the same thing. I read on a grand cherokee post that someone with a similar issue had some heat/ac components replaced, which temporarily fixed it. I'm about to take the dash completely out, as it's driving me nuts...
  • Cool Stompers website...I remember seeing those and still have a couple myself...no longer working but my son still likes pushing them around. Tires are all cracked. Seeing the Jeep Stompers makes me realize how folks get into buying things like that to start a collection of "Jeep Toys" or the like. Right now, for me, I'd rather put the money into making my real Jeep customized the way I want. Thanks for sharing the Stomper pics...Good memories.
  • gman1259gman1259 Member Posts: 209
    The good news is...The smart ones usually don't get caught
  • gman1259gman1259 Member Posts: 209
    I took Elliemae up to the property on Sunday and it started snowing pretty hard. I would slide going around corners, until I put her into 4 wheel drive. She then handled like a dream. I will say I am happy with the new tires in the snow.

Here is a picture of Elliemae parked in front of my future driveway.

Wasn't the snow lovely this weekend? I had such a good time snowshoeing all over Mt. Pinos, though I'm paying for it today.

The BFG ATs seem to work pretty well around here, but we don't often get really icy conditions (and when it's that bad, I stay home!). By the way, it's snowing right now, so I might have an interesting time getting to work tomorrow.
  • tyoshutyoshu Member Posts: 31
    i am looking for a "temporary" roof rack that i can use to carry a couple of kayaks but i don't want to have it installed permenently. does any know if such a thing exists? thanks.
    They make foam block racks (link).

I wouldn't recommend this rig for the highway but it should be fine for getting to the lake or river on the backroads. If you go the homemade foam route, the blocks tend to fly off when you hit bumps - the ones for sale usually have separate straps to tie the foam to the roof.

Steve, Host
  • wpowellwpowell Member Posts: 125
    Combined weight of your kayaks? Do you have a soft top or hard top? Do you happen to have front and rear receiver hitches?
  • jtbazjtbaz Member Posts: 2
    I had a 1999 Jeep Wrangler Sport with a manual transmission and sold it three years ago. I have regretted ever selling it and now I am going to buy a new Jeep Wrangler. I am looking at the 65th anniversary addition. The only issue I have is whether I want a 6 speed or an automatic transmission. I live in Phoenix, which is growing, and traffic is getting worse. I am concerned it would not be as fun with a manual if I am stuck in traffic alot. I was at a dealer last night, and the sales rep indicated that 75% of the Jeep Wranglers that are sold from his dealership are automatic. I am also planning on keeping this jeep for ever . . .so I am concerned that I may become tired of stick. However, I have always enjoyed driving a stick. Any thoughts? Thanks in advance.
    I went auto this time. I like them offroad as well. I do think you give up some performance, but the mileage isn't noticeable. Plus, no clutch to ever wear out.

I feel like you do in that I'll keep it forever. Do things to it I couldn't afford when I had my 89. Maybe a v8, even. Heated Bestop seats. Streetable lift, etc.

My extended family was/is in Phoenix. I would go a couple of times per year to Mesa to see them until they passed away. I couldn't believe how fast it was growing. Drove up to Flagstaff in a rental last time. Made me sad, as lots of places asked "do you have a 4wd? There's lots to see if you do". May have to road trip back down sometime.

If you get the 65th anniversary, are you getting the new green? I would think black will roast pretty good in the AZ sun...
  • jtbazjtbaz Member Posts: 2
    I am going with the green. I was actually looking at silver, but then when I was at the dealership I saw the Jeep Green and thought it looked pretty cool. Phoenix is growing real quick I have lived in Phoenix for 6 years and I am amazed at the growth.
  • 99tj99tj Member Posts: 187
    Hey Skyking, Naugatuck is very pretty, I like the areas around the river. Anyway, I don't recall what I said in that post, but I ended up buying brackets from these guys http://www.jeepit.com/bracket_gallery_2.htm They simply just bolt into the same spot the doors do. I would have to guess that these would work on an '06 but I don't know for sure.

I then bought the round 6" mirrors from Autzone(as suggested by the guys that sell the bracket). Worked out pretty well. I can't wait for the warm weather to get here and stay for good. I'm ready for topless /doorless Jeepin'

-Dan
  • koolbreeze2koolbreeze2 Member Posts: 252
    Go with what you want. Either way will be nothing but fun. Welcome back to Jeepworld. KB2
  • dmrapdmrap Member Posts: 4
    I just became the proud owner of a 2005 Wrangler Rubicon. I am interested in getting the best running board/side step, but I am concerned about installation. I particularly like the "Rock Barz" by Warrior Products, because they are very low profile and will not impeded off-roading. The problem is that they must be drilled into the frame.

Does anyone know of a good running board that does not require drilling?
    Yep..I like Naugy although housing prices jumped 20% last year. So..when I remove the doors I bolt the brackets where the doors were? I wish I had a diagram of it. I haven't had a chance to check it out much...heck, I thought the doors were just held on by a straps. I was reading some forum and the guy showed how he drilled holes etc. I definitely don't want to do that. Thanks for the reply.
  • 99tj99tj Member Posts: 187
    This link is a pretty decent pic of the bracket/mirror attached.

http://www.jeepit.com/images/rubi-mirror2.jpg
    heck, I thought the doors were just held on by a straps

Your doors are restrained from opening too far by straps. To remove a door, release the strap then remove the nut from each of the two hinge pins. Carefully lift the door from the hinges, then remove the appropriate fuse to prevent the interior lights from coming on.