Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chevy Silverado/GMC Sierra - Owners hangout

Comments

• txyank1txyank1 Member Posts: 1,010
    are available through jpcustoms.com. along with a lot of other neat stuff.
  • obyoneobyone Member Posts: 7,841
    waited over a month on back order. The dealers do have them though.
  • rayt2rayt2 Member Posts: 1,208
    The problem with long inactivity or short runs is that thru the natural combustion process you get an acidic build up in the oil which can cause engine oil breakdown. That's why you see a suggested mileage (7500k) or 6 mo. time frame on oil change intervals as I know it. Your driving conditions/habits also play into it.

Ray T.
  • xyz71xyz71 Member Posts: 179
    My 1999 Silverado 5.3L owners manual states- never go over 7,500 miles or 12 months between changes

My 2001 Tahoe 5.3L owners manual states- never go over 10,000 miles or 12 months between changes.

If you only go 2,000 miles in 6 months - and the change engine oil light has not came on yet - I would wait until the light came on / or close to 12 months before I changed the oil.

I thought the " change engine oil" light only came on when you started the engine - but last month mine came on while I was driving. Maybe has before and I just did not notice it. Anyone know for sure if this is normal?
  • ryanbabryanbab Member Posts: 7,240
    both times mine has come on it was while driving
  • mledtjemledtje Member Posts: 1,123
    It makes sense that it could come on either way.

Cold starts count against the total, so a startup could put the count over the limit and set the light.

On the other hand, mileage counts also and the light could just as easily come on when driving down the road.

I've had both happen and never thought about it either way.

Mike L
    Everytime mine has come on it's been while I'm enroute. It is normal.

Ray T.
    tire lowering flexible extension from GM?

Just wondering cause I was sent two. Figuring maybe I got someone's......
    nope didnt need it :)
    You're sent detailed instructions on lowering and raising and lowering the spare to check if you need the updated part. What isn't explained is that should you fail the test, until you get the updated part from GM, you will be unable to lower your spare.

What was the idiot thinking when he sent the test out to GM truck owners?
  • xyz71xyz71 Member Posts: 179
    This is not a problem, just a question.

To the left of the brake pedal - up under the dash there is a small black cover - held in place by one plastic nut. If I remove the cover (I am just a curious type) it has several electrical plugs that have "OMRON 8567" (hard to read upside down) printed on them. What are they?
    might be the so called black box that is now on cars
  • seeligseelig Member Posts: 590
    never had that problem either...........but then of course, both my rado's are perfect.
    never use a drop of oil, never vibrate, never had air leaks, never pinged, always get 19-23 MPG's, and that's with 5.3's................nope, chevy made me 2 goodin's. but i really do like the new rado's with those "BuTTugly" headlights.....

good luck on this one now!!
  • downeast1downeast1 Member Posts: 18
    Its a fuse panel and also where you can connect the trailer brake connector that Chev USED to provide with the trailering package.
    I posted this message or a facimile on the wrong board(newbie) and was chastised so now I am here with it. Bought a new 2003 chev Silverado 1500 4x4 Z71 LT about three weeks ago. Traded in a 1999 GMC Sierra Z71 SLT that I had a lot of little things go wrong on.
    Noticed that Chev has made a few changes. the front end is different now and a diferent grille. Tail lights are bigger and better. headlights seem brighter and the fog lights are bigger and better. The interior was changed too, no longer is the large console on the roof but a smaller one with no place for the remote, glasses or tissues etc.,The cabin air filter is gone now along with the ash tray and some console storage. the power outlets have been moved and now there is a cigarette lighter which my sierra did not have. The seats are more comfortable than my Sierra and the power mirrors have signal lights in them along with power fold and heat. The new radio/ 6CD changer is pretty good once you figure it out but the new climate control system does not let you run the fan without the AC on...so no fresh air. Chev stopped putting in the trailer brake pigtail harness too when the HD trailering is ordered but my dealer gave me one. The MPG is about the same as the 99 Sierra maybe a little less, but seems to have more power and tows better and gets about 1 1/2 more MPG when towing....can't figure that out , both have the same gear ratio 3:73. I think the 99 Sierra had ten less HP but not sure. Redundant controls now on the steering wheel which is a nice touch and with the computer you can scan all sorts of stuff like on the luxury cars. All in all I like the truck, it came with a few scrtached that came out and a bad left front tire that made the truck pull toone side but the dealer took care of that. The only other problem I have had so far is the remote gizmo quit on me. Just turned 3600 miles...
  • seeligseelig Member Posts: 590
    the remote may need new batteries already.
    glad to see the new Rado's are ever so improving, but the new headlight design has killed my interest in a new one.............sorry, but the new front end is ugly......sorta has that "squintz" look about it.
  • csandmanncsandmann Member Posts: 8
    My 02 5.3L liter silverado 15,000 mi. is using a quart of oil every 1000 miles. I called the dealer a couple of weeks ago, he advised changing the PCV valve (something about a revised design) turns out it the valve currently used in the 03 5.3 motor. anyway I changed the valve and oil approx 400 miles ago. When I checked the oil level today, It showed 1/2 quart low. Has anybody else experienced this problem. I'm just looking for some info so I can better battle with the dealer when the time comes. Does anyone have access to TSB 01 06 01 029 dec. 01 it's titled "greater than expected oil consumption" I am curious to see what it says.
    Engine - Higher Than Expected Oil Consumption

File In Section: 06 - Engine/Propulsion System

Bulletin No.:

Date: December, 2001

TECHNICAL

Subject:
    Higher than Expected Engine Oil Consumption (Replace PCV Valve)

Models:
    1999-2002 Chevrolet and GMC C/K Models
    2002 Cadillac Escalade
    with 5.3L or 6.0L Engine (VINs T, N, U - RPOs LM7, L09, LQ4)

Condition

Some customers may comment on higher than expected engine oil consumption. They may further comment on consumption in the range of 2,000 miles (3,200 km) or less per quart (0.946 liter) of oil under normal driving conditions.

Cause

The condition may be due to the PCV Valve flow rate under certain engine operating conditions.

Correction

1. Verity that the oil consumption is not the result of an oil leak or other engine concern.

2. Dealer should perform an oil consumption test. The vehicle should have accumulated over 4,000 miles (6,450 km) before establishing the oil consumption rate. Reference Service Bulletin # 01-06-01-011, Information on Engine Oil Consumption Guideline, for details.

3. Remove the PCV Valve and inspect the hose going to the intake manifold for signs of excessive oil being present.

4. If excessive oil is present in the PCV hose, replace the PCV Valve Type 948C (2) with a new-style fixed orifice PCV Valve Type CV2OO1-C (1). See Fig. 1 - PCV Valve Identification.

Important :Do not install the new style fixed orifice PCV Valve on vehicles equipped with the 4.8L V8 Engine (RPO LR4). Use of this orifice on the 4.8L V8 engine may affect engine idle quality and engine RPM control.

Important :The new style fixed orifice PCV Valve contains no moving parts, and does not rattle when shaken.

If the vehicle has an orifice style PCV Valve, investigate other causes for high oil consumption.
    Parts Information

Parts are currently available from GMSPO.

Warranty Information

For vehicles repaired under warranty, use the table.
  • txyank1txyank1 Member Posts: 1,010
    looking at '03s with any intent of buying. It appears to me as though for $870 you get Bucket seats with just the Drivers power. For $1575 (or thereabouts) you high-back bucket seats (looks like the same seat) with both power. I don't thinkso!
    they are less than $3 and take less than 5 min to install
  • lspangler1lspangler1 Member Posts: 68
    I just bought a 1500 HD 4x4 and so far I am quite happy with the truck. The interior changes are most welcome. I like the new front end except for the outer edge of the hood. I just washed it for the first time last night. I've had it for exactly 7 days and I've already put on 1,000 miles and had the biggest buck I've ever seen in the bed for a ride to the butcher.

The second day I had the truck my remote wouldn't work but once it started working again it has been fine. very odd
    I can't find a rubber bed mat anywhere. I've tried Autozone, murray's, kmart and Meijer. I'm going to call pep boys now.
  • morton4morton4 Member Posts: 12
    If you have a Fleet Farm by you, go there.
    Hello guys,

I own a 01' z71, 5.3, 3.71, RADO with all the fixins.

Anyway I have read the post from this site for awhile now. I actually have a question for you all.
    Has anyone had troubles with the front differential for the 2001 z71? If so let me know about whats going on. I have my truck in right now getting looked at.
    whats wong with the front diff? Leaking?
    I havent found out yet. They are still tearing it apart. I have to call around 330pm today to get a update. I called earlier but they said that I would have to call back when the night crew got in. Kinda stupid I know. I will post what I find out.

The symptoms are: when acelerating or deaccelerating it would make a rotational noise in the driver side wheel base, or there abouts.

I will post with an update shortly
    Alright here is what they know so far:

I guess my front diff took a [non-permissible content removed] and ripped up my transfer case. Destroyed pinnon bearings and stuff. As of now they are deciding on whether to rebuild or replace the whole txf case.

Any opinions on this?
    Is it better to rebuild or replace?

My truck is fast becoming a problem child, or thats what my wife says! She wants a new vehicle, but I'm partial to my RADO. Crappy or NOT>
    It wasn't the battery, dealer said the computer just forgot about it????They had to use a scan tool and reprogram the truck to accept my remote, took about 30 minutes after downloading the isntructions from GM. I read the post about oil cosumption, had 3500 miles on mine when the oil was changed and did not use any oil that I could tell, my 99 GMC 5.3 never used any either...Have a friend with a 2000 silverado 5.3 and his doesn't use any either, in fact his has over 50K and never been in the shop except for routine service.
    id opt for new
  • aviatormanaviatorman Member Posts: 44
    Everybody semes to think the 2003 Rado front-end design is terible. I have to say it is odd, but it is strting to grow on me. If Chevrolet didn't fix the long list of problems from the previous design I'm not to impressed. I have a 2001 Rado Z71 w/ the 5.3 in it and have had nothing but trouble with it. I'm about ready to go to a differnt brand.
    What kinda trouble?
  • aviatormanaviatorman Member Posts: 44
    The trouble I have had is the truck hesitating when it first starts up. There is also a ton of little things go wrong on it, but they fixed them I guess. They still can't find the hesitation problem to fix it.
  • bradbern1bradbern1 Member Posts: 1
    I own a 2000 Silverado Z71 and have had numerous problems with it since purchasing in June 2000. It has been in the shop in excess of 70 days since purchasing. It started out with cold start knocks, had 4 engine flushes and then the engine rebuilt with .020 over pistons. This was the GM fix for the cold start knock. The cold start knock is now gone and I have also been having what seems like lifter bleed down hot or cold start, with tapping on restart. Everyone I know that has a 5.3 has noises like this. During the rebuild I even asked them to replace all the lifters, no help! My buddy just bought a 2003 Silverado Z71 and it is already making lifter noises. Anyone else out there dealt with this and have you been able to get it fixed? GM gave me a 6 yr\100k power train warranty to shut me up, however the engine noises are not acceptable to any of us who own these trucks. I had a 94 Silverado before this and it was the best truck I have ever owned.
    engine noises

Are they affecting performance at all?

I wish i knew why mine was intermittant. For the past wk (has been in the upper 30s at night) when i have started in the morning i have had the knock. Today i started it up and it was silent.
  • sonjaabsonjaab Member Posts: 1,057
    The lifter tap you hear is not the lifters.
    It is fuel pulsing thru the fuel rails
    and injectors! I took mine in for cold
    start knock and lifter tapping.
    Dealer said "they all do it thing" on the
    cold start knock. But the lifter tap the
    mechanic whipped out a stethoscope and
    let me check it out...Sho' nuff fuel
    pulsing thru rails and injectors ! Sure
    does make ya crazy hearing it in drive
    thrus and stuff tho...........geo
    I have a friend at GM powertrain and according to him, there has not been an engine failure do to knock. The reason for the knock is the short piston skirt. The short piston skirt is required for the engine to pass some of GM's durability and emissions testing. There is a new piston design but he was unsure if it was in production engines yet. My '03 6.0L is quiet, I have some belt noise when the engine is cold but I can't hear it in the truck.
    Go here to read all different stories on this continued production problem with the GM Vortec engines. I hav'nt heard much from the guy who developed the site since he had his vehicle bought back by GM, I believe he opted for a Ford for his new choice.

http://www.angelfire.com/tx5/gmpistonslap/

There is a fix but GM is doing it in stages of productiion for their entire line. Corvettes get it first (since it involes 30,000 units a year compared to millions with the rest of the line) then it will eventually find it's way to all their engines. They are doing NOTHING for the most part with existing engines other then an "extended component warranty" for the engine only. That piece of paper is probably better used for the bottom of a bird cage when you look at GM's attitude towards "quality customer service". You stated a friend has a 2003 with the noise so obviously GM still hasn't reached the Silverado power train line yet with this fix.

My Y2K 2500 Ext. Cab w/5.3L developed this problem @ 17k, I have 34k on it now and other than an annoyance no operating problems. I just let the truck run for 1-2 minutes before engaging the transmision till the noise disappears. I did get the ext. componenet warranty but you read my thoughts on that. I plan to buy an aftermarket extended warranty to cover anything else that may develop during the 10 years I'll have this truck. I like the truck just don't trust GM quality for the long haul.

Ray T.

• hunter33hunter33 Member Posts: 6
    I had the same noise in my o2'5.3 4x4 ext . Z71 front diff. the dealer had it apart 4 times now and it still makes a howling noise only when your in 4 wheel high or auto 4 wheel at about 45 miles and hour they replaced everything. The real problem is to find someone that knows how to set the gear mesh up properly. now it leaks and the engine just started making that lifter tap noise at cooled start at around 14,000 miles I have been using 5w30 mobil 1 Time for a new one.
  • gvoigtgvoigt Member Posts: 63
    I thought that I might be immune from the knocking everyone is complaining about...but...for the first time since I purchased the truck I started it up the other morning and there it was. I just turned 16K on my '00 which I have had for 21 months. The morning was a cold one, and I was due for an oil change, but even after the oil change I have noticed the knocking occasionally. Am I excited or worried? No. I haven't noticed any excessive oil consumption and the knocking only lasts for a few minutes plus it can be covered up by turning up the radio. In another 23 months it will be traded in on something newer. I agree GM needs to address this issue but what is already on the road will never see a solution. Hopefully the bugs will be worked out before I pick out another GM product. If not I will look elsewhere, but the choices don't look any better.
    Well I have not recieved all my paperwork yet on the exactly what they did. Apparently they have to get it all sorted out first. anyway, From what they could tell me they rebuilt the whole txf case and stuff. Said that the gears were all tore up. I dont have more specifics yet but I will post when I find out.

So far no noise. My rotational noise came when in 2hi, 4hi, auto. I could hear it alot when I slowed or accelerated.

Thanks for the input hunter.
  • gator36gator36 Member Posts: 294
    There is a TSB on the front Differentials that has to do with the engaging mechanism. This is an old TSB where due to a partial engagement the carbon fiber discs in the front diff would be worn out by 2wd driving. Then when you command 4wd the discs would not engage.

Here is some of the text of the TSB...

Front Wheels Slipping with Vehicle in Four WHeel Drive (Replace Transfer Case Clutch Plates and Front Drive Axle Lubricant) #99-04-21-003B
    Front Wheels Slipping with Vehicle in Four Wheel Drive (Replace Transfer Case Clutch Plates and Front Drive Axle Lubricant)
    1999-2001 Chevrolet and GMC K and T Models (Silverado, Sierra, Blazer, Envoy, Jimmy)

with NV236/246 Transfer Case (RPO NP8)

This bulletin is being revised to correct a part number in the Parts Information section. Please discard Corporate Bulletin Number 99-04-21-003A (Section 04 -- Driveline/Axle).

Condition
    Some owners may comment on a slipping type condition at the front wheels while the vehicle is in four wheel drive (4WD).

Cause
    When the vehicle is driven extensively in low temperatures (-12°C (10°F) or below), slipping may occur when the vehicle is in the 2 HI mode. This occurs because the transfer case clutch pack does not have enough torque capacity to overcome the viscosity of the front axle lubricant. The friction generated by the slipping clutch discs may cause premature wear of the clutch pack assembly.

Correction
    Overhaul the transfer case and replace the clutch plates on affected vehicles. Replace the lubricant in the front drive axle with synthetic axle lubricant, P/N 12378261 (in Canada, use P/N 10953455). Use the following procedure and the part numbers listed below.

Walter... (gator)
    Thanks for the TSB info. I think this is what they had to do. I am still waiting for the paperwork. I have the truck back now and it seems to work great. I suspect that will change since I own a truck huh?! Just a matter of time.
  • abc246abc246 Member Posts: 305
    FYI. "carbon fiber discs in the front diff"

The carbon fiber discs are located in the transfer case!
    I had a 99 5.3 Sierra and never had an engine knock but did have what I always thought was a lifter noise when starting cold that went away before I was out of the garage. Just bought a 2003 Rado z-71 5.3 and now I am worried about this engine knock stuff. Its got about 4k on it now and still quiet.
  • chevy4mechevy4me Member Posts: 203
    I had one replaced under waranty but its progressivly getting louder again. Is there a TSB on this problem?
  • elkhunterelkhunter Member Posts: 5
    Hi all,

Is there a way to disable the Automatic headlight feature on my 99 GMC sierra truck. I have tried the dome override trick,but that didnt' work on my 99. Please help. thanks!
    I'm looking for a hard Tonneau cover that is removeable. So far the best option I've found is made by Peragon. Does anybody have any experience with this or any other hard Tonneau covers? I had an A.R.E. on my last truck and while it looked very nice, it was very difficult to remove.
    My Y2K override feature works fine , push dome light button in 3 times and it cancels the auto feature. It resets everytime you restart the truck however. I thought 99's were the same way, maybe not.

Ray T.
This discussion has been closed.