Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

65/66 mustang the only stang worth a damn

kinleykinley Member Posts: 854
edited March 2014 in Ford
65/66 mustang the only stang worth a damn

Comments

• hedgs00hedgs00 Member Posts: 1
    What, other than aesthetics, would you say is better about the 65/66 models than say a '67? My parents had an ivy green '66 coupe, which was nice. My first car was a '67 convertible (bought in 1984), which I loved. It was dark blue with a white power top. It was great cruising around the Indiana campus and on road trips.

I'm thinking about getting another Stang in the future, so I'm interested in others' opinions.
  • kinleykinley Member Posts: 854
    In my opinion the 67 Stang is to the 65/66 as the 58 T-Bird is to the 55,56,& 57. Had Ford come out with the 67 first I would prefer it to the 69 & later models. There's something about the first issue, first love, first child, first car, first wife, first college diploma etc. I enter my 66 GT coupe (Ivy Green) in shows & have noticed the 65/66 Stangs draw more attention. Mach I is a popular one as are the CA Specials, the only car to be most popular is the Shelby at the shows here in the NW. If anything adverse happens to my coupe - I'll be in the market for a GT convertable of 65 or 66 for they are not as bulky as their successors. My opinion only here.
  • bubukittybubukitty Member Posts: 96
    I have always liked the 64 1/2 to 66 Mustangs. I saw a Black '66 GT convertible once with a 4-spd tranny that was beautiful and wish I had bought it, though it was pretty expensive (about $19k). However, I am also a big fan of the '67 and '68 cars as well. Though they are a little bigger than the first generation, I like the more aggressinve look to the front end with the deeper set in headlights and the scooped out rear panel with the inset taillights. It just looks great! I'm a big convertible fan, and would love to have a '67 GT convertible with a 4speed. Probably pretty rare. Seems that most of the early 289 Mustangs were mated to automatics. I like the '69 and '70 cars as well, but not as much as the first two series body styles. My thoughts on the matter!
  • pure911pure911 Member Posts: 40
    i came really close to buying one (a '66 289 coupe) but I then came across the information on the exploding gas tank. I rather not die a fiery death in an old american car. Although every once and awhile I get a strong desire to go out and buy one...

hey maybe I will someday; if they fix the gas tank problem...
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    Oh, just buy it...you probably have a much greater chance of being run over by an SUV driver with a dog on his lap talking on a cell phone.
  • stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,509
    If the gas tank is the only reason you're not buying, there is a fix (as reported on the TV expose). You can weld a panel (sort of like a bulkhead) behind the back seat, creating a sort of fire wall (doesn't stop the tank from going, but keeps the fire from crispy crittering the back seat passengers).

Doesn't do much for authenticity, but it's better than keeping both eyes glued to the rear view mirror and ramming a truck (in which case the non collapsing steering column impales you). Oops, sorry about that..

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• macadam1macadam1 Member Posts: 22
    Interesting opinions of the first and classiest of the "pony cars". My 1st was a new Ivy Green 6cyl. fastback purchased in my 20s', traded two years later for a '67 GTA fastback, one super good looker. Sold the '67 outright which was later
    totaled by the buyer. Finally in Jan. of '70 I bought a new '69 Mach 1, burgundy, 351 Windsor, gears,gold stripes with the black [Ditzler] hood.
    I still have the car today. Its an unrestored original, garaged and covered from Dec. through March. Paint and interior are in excellent original condition and its insured with classic QQ
    plates. For many years I was involved in rallyes, trials and gymkhanas with various sports car clubs and Mustang clubs. My '69 is an absolute blast to drive; with half the fun being the thumbs up from other drivers . The various comments made in this topic are benefical to all lovers of these classic pony muscle cars. From the
    64 1/2 thru the '73, they can all be appreciated.
    I'm an original member of Fords "National Council Of Mustang Clubs"; as Ford was a prime backer of
    Mustang Clubs. I can ramble on and on if your interested.
  • hhinojosahhinojosa Member Posts: 1
    I've been restoring my 66 coupe. On Sat, I was driving to get it painted and was sandwiched. The body shop estimates $4K in repairs. Does anybody have any hints on how to deal with the insurance company and get my car fixed or a decent value if they want to total it? Any help is appreciated.
    Hi hhinojosa!

VEry sorry to hear of your accident.

You need a professional appraisal ASAP, and you sumbit this as evidence of value to your insurance company. It should cost about $150. If you are in the SF BAy Area I can refer you, e-mail me.

First, however, wait and see what the insurance company will do. Sometimes their offer is okay.
    are you willing to travel for the 390 Stang? Would you consider a 68 390 FB? If your travel is only Indiana, then I'll stop looking for you.
  • brucec35brucec35 Member Posts: 246
    I'm curious. Why would someone consider the old model Mustang superior to the new ones? It's slower, inferior in braking and handling, less sophisticated, much less safe in a crash, and less comfortable inside.
    I don't think any old car is superior to a new one, in terms of safety and reliability. The only real virtues of the older cars is their distinctive and original styling and their simplicity when it comes to repairing them...also, a 60s car can still be used in everyday driving, whereas it's a bit of a strain for the older cars.
    A 60s Mustang is still a pleasant ride.
  • dverespeydverespey Member Posts: 56
    I agree with the first love comments and that this is always a subjective thing.

That being said, my 65 coup is the only car I miss.(wrecked by a truck, no one in either vehicle at the time). Its true that any new car has better handling, safty, systems etc. But it is the style that is the draw. With all the aftermarket tools available a very nice modern driver can be built up from a classic body. Don't do this to a show car, but if you find an old driver around that needs some work you can make a real nice ride out of it.
    Actually, if you keep the old parts and don't do any cutting or welding, I see no problem with upgrading an old car, even if it's a show car. I'd put a disk brake kit on an old Ford V-8 in a red hot minute, for instance, and you can't beat 12 volt electrical systems and lighting.
    Try to catch a ride in a 66 289 4V Hi Po, 271 h.p. 4 speed and upon acceleration you will not be able to lean forward to touch the padded dash.The GT has front discs, heavy stableizers (poor spelling) with a very snorted dual exhaust.It doesn't come with a hood ornament, but if you want to see one, just look in the rear view mirror. My 66 GT is only the 289 4V with AT, but is still a hoot & more fun than the wife's 95 4.6L T Bird. I've owned it since new.
  • cottrell1cottrell1 Member Posts: 39
    The reason I ask this is the guy next door to me has a nearly perfect Mustang of this type I have suggested a 427 which is a very powerful engine as you know it was put in the later Shelby's or is a 289 the best answer? They both certainly are better the the six he has in there now. I know from reading websites that most people opt for the 289 but the HP figures seem to be around 300.
    Which doesn't seem enough for the the only stng worth a damn!
    A purist will keep his Stang "factory". A racist will shoe in the biggest block he can. If your neighbor wants more performance than originality, he might look into the 4.6 DOHC engine. Again the engine area isn't suited for just any big block. One is limited by the thickness of one's wallet though. A Cleveland 351 IMO is the most economical bang for the buck. Even a Windsor 351 is an improvement. Techies seem to do almost anything. Feb issue of Mustang Monthly shows the AOD tranny in place of the original C4 on a 67.
  • wilcoxwilcox Member Posts: 582
    dangerous in the 65 & 66 models. It's whiplash city. Be sure to upgrade seating if you seriously plan to drive these automobilies. For Safety Sake!
    Hey, face it, ALL old cars are dangerous for some reason or other...if it's not the seats, it's the dash or whatever. Best thing you can do is get some modern seatbelts in there.

I think a 427 would effectively ruin the car as an everyday driver...it would then be a track car, and have value for that but no longer as a collectible, since it would have been bastardized.
    Here is one of my dream cars. A '67 289 GT convertible with a 4 speed tranny, triple black color scheme...... Sure would love to have one!
    Ah, but would you like to pay for it? That one should set you back a cool $15K or more, no problem.
  • snpydog1snpydog1 Member Posts: 1
    LOOKING FOR A 1965-66 MUSTANG CONV.
    I HAVE A 66 HARD TOP W/PONY INT.
    FOR DOWN PYMT.
    I admire your quest. I too, would like a 66 ragtop and have a 66 Hdtp, but having had it for over 33 years I just can't part with it. Would you like a Rangoon Red, white top, red/white pony interior, V 8 4V, Cruisomatic, A/C, wire wheel covers, Michelin WSW and while we're at it make it a Factory GT with Power Steering. Well, so would I, but they are out there. Be patient, attend the Mustang Roundups and you'll find it. Good Luck
    Shifty, saw a 1967 GTA just as I described in Hemmings recently asking about $22k! Sounded like a totaly pristine car too, but as a GTA it has the auto tranny which isn't much fun, at least for me anyway.
    Geez, that had better be one helluva spectacular GTA for $22K...that's about $5,000 over a #2 car price....perhaps it's a never-driven showcar?
  • macadam1macadam1 Member Posts: 22
    To Kinley
    I've had my '69 Mach1 for 30 years and am the same way, just cant part with it. The car just before it was a '67 GTA Mustang. I had told my son I would give him the '69 after high school graduation in '84, but I couldnt part with it when the time came. Found him another '69 Mach1 and had it restored. Since you've had yours for 33 years, do you remember "RALLYE DAY USA"
    I talked to my neighbor today and it turned out that his father who origanally owned the car swapped a 289 for the Six awhile back and he would if he put in the 289 bring it back up to stock. I also found a great page for 'stang enthusiests by Tom Schmidt.
    Also if any of you are active in "Trucks". I've set up a great disscusion called Chevrolet C/K vs Silverado its number 1484 and is on the last page near the bottom.
    Sorry.
  • wnicholswnichols Member Posts: 42
    I like the looks of the older Mustangs too. I wanted one, but found their interior space to be too cramped for my frame.

I have had my '73 Mach 1 CCJ 4spd for 14 years now. It is fast. I will be replacing the tires this year (they have been on since '86). One of my brothers owns a '68 fastback with a 351C.
  • modvptnlmodvptnl Member Posts: 1,352
    Unless he put the 351 in later, a '68 had neither a Cleveland or Windsor 351. Which brings us back to originality and value. I know this is almost 3 weeks late but I'm trying to start it up again.
  • wnicholswnichols Member Posts: 42
    The '68 car had this "replacement" engine in it when he bought it. We do not know the reason.

Not all of us can afford the high price of an unrestored original or a restored classic. This was definitely my brother's case; the car was purchased when he was 14.

Likewise, my '73 is not completely stock. I don't worry too much about that, though. I just want to drive it, enjoy it and still be able to afford to own it.
    Sounds like a stang that a friend had. The original 302 dropped a rod and he had a nice 351w lying around. If I remember the 351w fit nicely, where a 351 c would require a mess of alterations under the hood.
  • 7074970749 Member Posts: 1
    just bought a nice 65 coupe w/289/3spd & want to install power steering- know of any quality kits available- ford store says i have to buy by seperate parts- thanks, 70749
  • doublejeeper1doublejeeper1 Member Posts: 1
    I just recently purchased a 66 coupe with pony interior and all #'s matching and only 83,000 miles, but have no papers on the car. I got the 289 to run last week and it runs beautiful. I was told by the seller that he bought it as a parts car because of the same issue. Is there anything that I can do about getting the paperwork?
  • rprogersrprogers Member Posts: 3
    I have a 66 Mustang with 289 and manual 3 speed trans. In the past 6 months the clutch has become so rough it shakes the whole car. I've had the clutch assy checked out (got a new disk), had the trans overhauled with new seals, bearings, and synchros, got a new trans mount, and it still shakes. Don't know what to do next. Any ideas?
    RP Rogers
    I'd say resurface the flywheel for openers...this is a typical Mustang problem.
    I agree with shifty, start with the flywheel, then the clutch plate.
  • jpstaxjpstax Member Posts: 250
    Saw the new movie "Gone in 60 Seconds" last Saturday. It finished #1 at the box office. Anyway, there's a GREAT chase scene involving a '67 Shelby Mustang GT 500 and the police that has to be seen to be believed. It's near the end of the film, so you have to be patient and sit through the first hour and half. There are also some nice foreign sportscars, mostly owned by rich L.A. yuppies. The car chase though is worth the price of admission! I think it's almost as good as the one in Bullitt.
    Oh, Ah, A Mustang car chase. Life is good.

For you Mustang oglers, Ebay is a great place to check out cars. I usually waste an hour on Mondays just running down all the new ones for sale. Some really nice refurbished Mustangs. Of course, I have to hold my hand back from the mouse over the bid button, a la Dr Stranglove. Maybe after I get more garage space I'll have to buy another.......
    Would you really buy a collectible car on an online auction, sight unseen? I don't think I would, but I'd like to hear what others think.
  • chris396chris396 Member Posts: 53
    I'm amazed at some of the prices that those cars sell for site unseen. As someone who looked at quite a few cars before purchasing mine, you'd be surprised what can be hidden in a picture. A car can look fantastic in a picture and be a pig when you see it in person.
    Oh, man you got that right! Of course, I'm pretty particular, so maybe people who buy online don't care about bondo and incorrect engines and all that if the price is right. I don't like to drive "crippled" cars myself...if they aren't really in top shape, it bothers me to have to nurse it along. I just can't imagine buying an old car on line unless I've inspected it or hired someone to do that.
  • speedshiftspeedshift Member Posts: 1,598
    I used to sell cars through Hemmings, and very few buyers flew out to inspect before they bought, so maybe buying on-line isn't all that different. I always wondered whether they got what they wanted--probably not, at least not after the honeymoon wore off and the reality of an unrestored 30-year-old car set in. I always tried to represent the cars accurately, but some terms are relative--what exactly is "clean"?
    Exactly...or "restored" or "rebuilt". Very loose terms depending on who you ask.
    Who said buying? I look at it like a new issue of a car magazine every day.....and yes sight unseen there are some pretty ones, I havn't owned an old stang now in a number of years. It just gets the old desires up and running again.

I'm a pilot and aircraft owner, nothing is ever purchased used without a complete pre-purchase inspection. Cars, planes whatever.
    *especially* a plane! (at least with them the wrenchturner is supposed to be licensed).
  • roadroachroadroach Member Posts: 131
    I'm currently in the process of resto-moding a '66 GT fastback. While deciphering the codes on the car, I came across the DSO code which is supposed to indicate where the car was shipped once it left the factory. Mine has a code of '89' which indicates it was for something called 'transportation services'. Anybody got a clue what that could be?
  • sdgrantsdgrant Member Posts: 12
    DSO 89 is the designation for special vehicles, factory show vehicles, other non-production destinations.

Previous posts talk about modifications to early classic Mustangs, but my '64½ Mustang is a genuine Indianapolis 500 Pace Car coupe, one of 9 left in the world out of only 190 made. It's been restored to flawless condition, and modifications to this museum piece are not likely!
    Yes, the Pace Car replicas hardtops were given out to dealers, and are the rarest of the 1965 Mustangs. There really is no such thing as a 64 &1/2 Mustang, but hobbyists like to use the term to differentiate between early and late 1965 cars....the easiest way to tell the difference is that the first Mustangs had a generator and the later 65s an alternator.

Certainly I wouldn't modify that car either. Save the mods for the plain jane hardtops!
  • stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,509
    Didn't the 64 1/2's have the 260 ci engine, with the 289 in later 65's?

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

This discussion has been closed.