Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chevy Silverado/GMC Sierra - Owners hangout

Comments

• andymsnandymsn Member Posts: 22
    I'm considering buying a 2002 Silverado LS 4x4 SB (5.3L V8 w/ tow package) with a topper. It has just over 36k on it (I know, a LOT of miles for just one year). That's probably why it's currently priced at $20,995. I have not yet run the VIN on GM's warranty database, but I suspect that will be interesting. I have checked the price here on Edmunds and it's pretty competitive.

QUESTION: What are the common issues I should be particularly aware of when I test drive the vehicle? I have driven a couple other 99 and newer Silverados recently and found one that had the infamous driveline vibration problem, then drove another of the same year and it was perfect (didn't deal on it because I just couldn't stand the color - and I'm very flexible on that - it was BROWN - UGH!!).

Thanks for any responses in advance.
  • noobie1noobie1 Member Posts: 326
    I'm not familiar with that particular engine, someone else may speak to that, but probably the one GM problem most talked about around here is the cold start knock. And with 36K, if it's going to have it, it should have it in spades. Some do, some don't. Make sure you listen for it after the truck has been sitting for a while, first thing in the morning is best. There may be more than one piston involved. It lasts for one to two minutes in most cases, until the cylinder walls are thoroughly coated with oil. However, we sometimes hear of one like mine that continues to sound off while driving until the temperature reaches about half way to normal (when letting off the accelerator). You've already mentioned driveline vibration. If it's an X-cab, look for creaking rear doors when driving slowly over a surface uneven enough to cause the body to flex. Another one, look for vibration and/or noise coming from the steering when cranking hard one way or another while driving over a rough surface. These are relatively minor fixes, though, compared to cold start knock.
    That's all that presently comes to mind. Others may add. Good success.

-David
  • sonjaabsonjaab Member Posts: 1,057
    Heck in Central NY a 03 Chevy LS,1/2, x-cab, 4x4,
    5.3, locker, auto, tow pkg, hd susp., power goodies,
    AC, CD is $23,465 plus tax and tag including rebate
    and dealer discount!
    $29,995 sticker. Brand new!................geo
    http://www.syracuse.com
  • dustyonedustyone Member Posts: 262
    There are two reasons to trade in a vehicle.

1. I don't want to deal with selling it myself, too much time, too much hassle, need the money now.

2. I want the dealer to make as much money as possible from me, confuse the deal, hide his profit.

The dealer has made me such a good deal that I can't pass it up is not in your favor. Before you decide to trade it in, read a good book written by a former car saleman. It should open your eyes.
  • chuckbenderchuckbender Member Posts: 19
    Hi folks...been a long while since I posted any new info on the SSBCC(ShortShortBoxCrewCab)for the simple reason things have been slow developing. Currently preparations are under way and are planned for summer shutdown. GM is in full acceleration mode to get these changes made, but the steady need for overtime cuts into the amount of worktime available to refit various areas. Production of this new model should begin at Christmas 2003. The question of box size on this new truck appears to be 5'10"...I have been told it's similar to the Avalanche without the plastic cladding...the interior is like the Avalanche...All two tone paint for Silverado and Sierra extended cabs is being phased out by Aug 31,2003...The new 1500 light duty crew cab is NOT recommended for 5th wheel trailer towing....thats it for now ...will post as it happens.
    Chuck
  • bigfurbigfur Member Posts: 649
    Anyone have a problem with their brakes clunking when you stop or release the brake pedal? mine does it everytime unless im very gentle to stop. any ideas???
  • bspzbspz Member Posts: 35
    Are you talking about the Avalanche 1500 with the WBH (without body cladding) package? If so, they are already here in the states anyway, see Chevy's website...
  • ryanbabryanbab Member Posts: 7,240
    does it happen all the time? Mine does it after it rains or i wash the truck and they get wet
  • professor4professor4 Member Posts: 27
    How did you prep the chrome before painting? (See your post number 5053.)

While I am at it, do you (or anyone on this board) recall seeing any post(s) concerning problems related to the battery being drained in a Silverado? I have a model year 2000 which I have driven 27,000 miles. A little over a year ago, the battery would be drained, and the problem was related to the instrument cluster. Now, this issue has raised its ugly head again. The local Chevrolet dealer is at a loss, and I have a reasonably high degree of confidence in the ability of the technician doing the trouble shooting. This drain is of such a magnitude that it will drain an almost new battery in a 30 hour period. Unfortunately, it is intermittent.

Thanks for your input.
    this is what i did

1. Scuffed surface
    2. applied a surface modifier
    3. primer (2 coats)
    4. Paint (2-3coats)
    5. Clearcoat (2-3coats)
    No it happens most anytime its more noticeable in the morning...or maybe the radio just isnt as loud...but either way it almost seems like they are locking when they shouldnt. No abs lights or indicators or anything. Guess ill have the dealer look at it again. Thanks Tom
    Bspz....this is GMs new Short Short Box Crew Cab which will start production perhaps December...it does have Avalanche similarities.
    The box on the new short short box crew cab is 5'8". Overall length is 228", same as the Ext.cab. The Avalanche box is 5'3".
    Chuck
  • koabkoab Member Posts: 1
    Hey all. Just purchased a new Z71 and did it up right with a 4inch rancho, 33s and some new rims. I've got 4 Bridgestone Dueler AT 265/75/R16s on the Z aluminum rims I'm trying to unload. Looking for $150 a pop. Live in the Denver area.. (I know this ain't ebay but just throwing this out!)
    Professor4... there is a recall notice for this problem issued in Dec 02 (#02066) which may or may not solve your problem...it affected vehicles equipped with Autoride,Stabililink, or Quadrasteer...Hope this helps
    Chuck
  • pogo8pogo8 Member Posts: 1
    I've got to change the pads on the new Sierra for the first time, can anyone help and tell me what size wrench I use to take the calipers off of the steering knuckle(?). Don't mean to sound lazy but I've been sick lately, hard to move around (sniff, poor me) and figuring out a detail like this can hold me up a while, do I need a torx, allen, standard or metric six point, etc... thanks, Chris
  • professor4professor4 Member Posts: 27
    Thanks for the input re. the service bulletin. At this point, anything is worth a try. The truck has been at the local Chevrolet dealer since last Monday, and I'll be on their doorstep early tomorrow. Chevy did extend the warranty, and, as such, I am not out of pocket anything. However, it is a pain in the butt not having the truck and driving a rental (provided by them).
  • gnippergnipper Member Posts: 120
    Ryanbab - Obyone (others I probably don't remember but still here as well) - wow, still hanging around - good to see. I was around and posted quite a bit a little over 3 years ago when we were all waiting on the "4 door" extended cabs. Seemed to be tons of people here. There would be 3 and 4 pages of new posts in a single day. Ryan - does your dad still post? LOL - sorry, I just had to ask.

My work got busy and I quit coming here myself. Started lurking again a few weeks ago as I started looking at new trucks. The 2000 Z71 took it hard in the hail about a month ago here in Dallas - between the trade and insurance - got a good deal out of it - so traded it in on a new one.

I'm back around for a while - good to see all the advice and stories that are being shared. Looks like we have some insider information as well which is good to see on here.
    YUP.......My 01 Chev.2500 LD x-cab 4x4 is having its 2nd birthday! Only 18k miles on it. ( I also have a 02 Caddy, 72 GTO and a Triumph m/c)
    Truck has had HARD usage snowplowing, towing, and hauling.
    Only been to the shop one time for warranty repair. (front wheel fell off !) Sure I have the cold start knock but GM gave me the extended powertrain warranty. But still no shakes, squeeks, etc.
    This will be its last year with me as I trade them after 3 hard years. Up here in northern NY those GM trucks go for big $$$ used.
    Very happy with it ! And yup I will buy another!
    Nipper....good to see you back......
    Hope to hear from others on how their trucks are doing 2-3 years down the road...............geo
    mine turned 3 april 29th
  • txyank1txyank1 Member Posts: 1,010
    after 2 yrs and 28K miles. It had one of the front end problems (noise when backing up and turning), and the sticky throttle body. Never had it in to Dealer. (Transmission went South while at Dealer where I traded it.) Traded my '01 Sierra 5.3 after 2 yrs. and 28K miles. It had a creak in the front end and very mild cold start knock. I had it in to Dealer once for a bushing in the rack (steering). Really liked them both...'cept for the freeway bounce. Have 4800 miles on my Avalanche now (3 months) and love it.
    Well guys just wanted to tell you all I finished up classes last night. This coming Monday is graduation and I will officially have my BS degree :) in mechanical engineering.

Its so nice not having to stress over tests and such anymore. One thing i did learn this semester is cryogenically treating D2 tool steel does improve the fatigue properties of the steel. That was my senior design project (study untreated which is just heat treated and cryogenically treated steel)
  • blackmax200blackmax200 Member Posts: 255
    BWWHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAhahahahaha
    matthew
  • txyank1txyank1 Member Posts: 1,010
  • rayt2rayt2 Member Posts: 1,208
    Now to put that degree to work for ya and earn some big bucks to buy the next new Silverado (that would be Crimson Red right ???) BWhahahahaha

I'm gearing up for camping season with the Rado. It hasn't seen much use since I picked up my new Mini Cooper. Took a trip to Richmond last Thursday to see the NASCAR race there, got 35 mpg @ 75 mph average speed, now that's something the truck can't do !

Again, CONGRATULATIONS on your graduation !

Ray T.
  • obyoneobyone Member Posts: 7,841
    Never a doubt that you would get your "BS" degree. LOL!!
    Was doing 60 on the freeway when an aluminum can whizzed by me. Looked at an old Toyota pickup about 50 yards in front of me spewing aluminum cans out of its bed. Before I could change lanes one hit me square in the bug deflector. The guy was totally oblivious to what was happening. Thought I'd pull along side and let him know but changed my mind figuring a cop would do a better job of it. When I got home I checked the bug deflector and noticed a hair line crack. Oh well, guess after three years another one is in order.
    Congrats..........

RAY2....Ryan wants a CARMINE one !
    i almost to that age for the carmine truck
  • lobsta43lobsta43 Member Posts: 2
    I'm looking at a 2001 GMC Sierra 2500, 60k, with a Dump Body. Asking price is around 23,000. Any advice?
  • hknoepflehknoepfle Member Posts: 45
    Hey, I am thinking of installing a K & N kit in my 00 2500 6.o rado. Question - Am I going to have a problem with the sensor located at my stock filter box. I don't believe I will reconnect that sensor with the K & N kit. Any input will help ease my mind as I get ready to tear out stuff and not put it back! Thanks
  • lobsta43lobsta43 Member Posts: 2
    At present we have a landscaping business. We own a 1987 Dodge PU with tow and Plow. We're looking for a new PU that will tow a trailer and also we can add a plow too. I've looked at several, GMC's, Dodges, Chevy Silverados, and am just not sure. Haven't looked at Fords, my husband doesn't want a ford. Also, he wants an extened cab. Any opinions?
  • jaguar0027jaguar0027 Member Posts: 387
    Enjoy the summer!!!
    enjoy the summer??? Yea right hopefully ill be starting work soon.
    Welcome to the real world Ryan.... J/K :)
    i know its so nice
    now get a job ya bum :)
    Got an offer friday (wasnt home). Going to accept it today or early this week.

Best of all I will get the gm supplier deal :) plus the pay isnt bad at all and best of all i can live at home for another year or two and save some cash then buy a home. To quote hannibal from the A-Team I love when a plan comes together
    Now Jess is gonna want to get married too !
    haha her eyes lit up when she heard what they offered me haha she was thinking ill be getting that sebring pretty soon now
  • sjsporsjspor Member Posts: 10
    The 2000 mile bug this month is a SES light, with a code of P0440, generic EVAP diag failure. Has anyone
    had to shoot this bug yet? I hav'nt heard anyone talk about it, so it may not one everyone will see.

2001 Silverado, EXT cab 2WD 4.3 V6

Thanks...!
    Congrats and good luck!
  • blackmax200blackmax200 Member Posts: 255
    make sure the gas cap is on tight and you are not refueling within 5 min of cold start and letting the engine idle while doing so...(gas cap is off)

hope this helps
    matthew
    Ok 3 choices

1. 2003 Reg cab Short bed S-10 4 cylinder base model 4.10 rear end sandalwood color auto trans

2. 2003 reg cab long bed 1500 V-6 work truck model arrival blue 3.42 rear end auto trans

3. 2003 reg cab short bed 1500 v-6 base model pewter 3.42 rear end auto trans

I am looking at getting a work truck. Driving about 15-22 miles a day 5 days a week. I dont want to beat my truck up at the mills so i figure ill get a stipped down (vinyl floor) 2wd truck. Also insurance (did a quote online) it seems the full size is slightly cheaper.

Price is about 11K for the S-10 and around 14K for the silverado. (basically cost plus rebates. Its about $200 more than the gm supplier deal which i wont be able to get until i start work which is after the rebates end)

Oh yea and truck 2 has a cd player :)
  • dgore1dgore1 Member Posts: 20
    Has anyone out there installed aftermarket Rancho shocks on their late model HD pickup? I'm considering some 9000's, but want to ensure that I'm going to improve the ride/handling of the truck. I've got an 02 2500HD 4x4 Crew/SB w/ 8.1 & Allison.
    No used trucks in your area? If the trucks going to get a beating, I'd buy one that's somewhat depreciated rather than new.
  • tucsonjwttucsonjwt Member Posts: 265
    He must be getting old.
    I would go with oby's idea of an old beater, except that in the rust belt you won't find an old body that will hold together very long. I wouldn't buy any used truck with computer controls - one failed computer blows the cost advantage of a used truck.
    I would run that existing truck into the ground -it's 3 years old (?), and not worth much more than the new trucks you mention above, and you will want to buy a new one once you start making the big $$$.
    If you do go with a stripper, get a GMC so that you get a better seat with the stock fold down armrest. A manual 5 speed transmission will save you another $1000, and it's more fun to drive. Don't buy the S-10 - not suitable for 6 + footers and it's a girl's truck - unless Mrs. ryanbab to be will be driving it.
    I thought all of the US mills closed down. How do they make any money with cheap foreign competition?
    does anyone else here get a metallic clunk right when the touch the gas pedal? sounds like the noise is coming from under the hood but i have no idea what it could be. Also i have a rough idle when i sit at a stop light longer than a couple seconds, has anyone else had this problem? or is it normal???
    well why would i buy a used truck with 40-60K miles for 1K cheaper or the same price as a brand new truck???

Tonight i found a reg cab base sierra. Arrival blue just arrived on the truck a little before i got there. Man it was sweet had 4 miles. The salesman wanted me to buy it tonight and he kinda ticked me off. Also lied to me about ad and other add on fees. Said there wasnt any and it was on te invoice $206 ad fee. Also said they usually dont show people the invoice price WTF i have been to 3 dealers the past wk and have seen invoices on all the trucks. Guess he thought i was a dumb kid. Also flipped when he asked if i was trading mine in and i said nope its paid off.

oh yea another plus (well could be a bad thing) is my gf really liked it.
    oh yea plus i wanna use my 1200 gm points along with the 3K rebate
This discussion has been closed.