Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chevy Silverado/GMC Sierra - Owners hangout

Comments

• noobie1noobie1 Member Posts: 326
    Thanks for the great post! No one could accuse you of being a GM shill.
    My truck was built at Pontiac East, August 2001. Those kids didn't do a bad job, but your right, judging from the results some could have used a little more instruction.

-David
  • ryanbabryanbab Member Posts: 7,240
    his was built in fort wayne indiana
  • sonjaabsonjaab Member Posts: 1,057
    I thought he had a problematic Denali?
    oh i am talking about his problematic silverado haha
  • nimmernimmer Member Posts: 6
    My 2001 GMC needs a waxing. What are some of the preferred products that the GMC truckers using? My previous vehicles were always Simonized but I'm not sure that product is good the the GMC paint used today. Any or all suggestions are appreciated.
  • gvoigtgvoigt Member Posts: 63
    I use good old fashion TurtleWax a couple times a year. Wax on Wax off! I use Zip Wax, the spray on rinse off after each washing. So far no problems. Find the product you like to apply and use it as often as you can, double up on elbow grease as they seem to wear out more frequently.
  • bigfurbigfur Member Posts: 649
    I had my truck in bout two weeks ago for a driveling clunk and the fixed the slip yoke and all that fun stuff. Problem is the noise is BACK after two weeks. Has anyone else run into this problem???
    did they change the transfercase fluid?
  • bigfurbigfur Member Posts: 649
    hmmm let me look i dont think they did. They replaced the rear driveshaft slip yoke and lubed the shaft spindles. Repaired the flange, pinion shaft-rear differential-replaced. Says the cause was excessive clearance. Oh well guess they have to screw with it again.
  • obyoneobyone Member Posts: 7,841
    Yeah I had the problematic kids at the Denali plant also. It was a '00 so the last year of the old style with the anemic 5.7. GMAC offered me an early out of my lease (8 months) so I dumped it for a '02 last year. World of difference. Looks like they lost the kids when they built this one.

The '00 Silverado though would never pass no ball bearing test. And yes, Ryan's right, Ft. Wayne, IN. , 7/99.
    The fort wayne plant must have hired new people for 00 because my truck is fine

BIGFUR

you need to change your tcase fluid to the new blue fluid
  • aspesisteveaspesisteve Member Posts: 833
    My father spent over 30 years with GM and we saw alot of cars in my driveway.

I'd say that line workers at GM are as dedicated as a Honda line worker. The difference is in the design for manufacturability and the suppliers. GM interswaps so many parts for so many cars that they have a problem that resembles inbreeding. GM has profit issues when they are asked to re-design something from the ground up. It's like comparing AA to Southwest airlines as far as efficiency goes.
  • chuckbenderchuckbender Member Posts: 19
    Nimmer, the best I've used is Zaino Bros. show polish...expensive but a little goes a long way...a coat of this will get you an extra 500.00 on a trade-in anywhere, IMHO...can be applied in sunlight and it doesn't leaves a build up in the cracks and crevices of the vehicle. Their website also provides detailed instruction to get the best results.
        George ,Ryan, David thanks for the kind words...
    Chuck
    I agree about Zaino. Great stuff

Have you tried that new ZFX stuff? $20 for a small bottle (REAL small). Works great makes the wax dry faster.

Also the Z5 will take out just about any clear coat scratch. Yesterday my dad hit my moms blazer with a piece of metal (brickmolding from the windows we are putting in) and it left a gouge and a nice 6 inch scratch. Zaino got the scratch out but the gauge was down to bare metal. Man was she pissed. I thought i got mad when i got a scratch haha
  • bonreabonrea Member Posts: 48
    Can anyone tell me where I can purchase products from R&D? One of you nice folks pointed us to this website for instructions on installing their parts but I can't fined them.

http://www.gm-trucks.com/IAR_cabfilter.shtml
    Does anyone know where the switch is on the drivers side door(s) that triggers the door ajar chime and the cab lights. Sometimes I'd like to be able to leave all the doors open and listen to the radio while I clean the cab...but that darn chime!!! On my earlier trucks I could trip the switch to silence it. Your help would be greatly appreciated.
    I believe the new GMs its in the door handle assembly.
    03 right? Darn chime comes thru the radio and speakers!
  • gator36gator36 Member Posts: 294
    Sonjaab is correct. You need to trip the latch mechanism. Just be carefull not to close the door until you open the latch again. It is a horrible thud when you forget.
    My rig is a '00. I'll try tripping th latch and see what happens. Thanks.
    I posted a few pics of my rig at www.picturetrail.com/gvoigt_2000 You'll get to see a working mans work truck. LOL
  • caedward2caedward2 Member Posts: 45
    Will the driver information readout on a base model 2003 Silverado inform me when to change the oil? Or is that function available only on the upgraded DIC (i.e. steering wheel controls)?

I currently have a readout that shows hourmeters/trip/odometer.
  • jlflemmonsjlflemmons Member Posts: 2,242
    Is standard on all GM trucks. A light will come on stating "Change Oil" or something like that.

Jim
  • ferrante1ferrante1 Member Posts: 1
    Can anyone help me? Is there any real difference between a 2500 Sierra and a 2500 Silverado....besides the fact that the grill and so forth are a little different.....is the Sierra a more heavy duty truck or is that just something in peoples minds, just because it says GMC.
  • txyank1txyank1 Member Posts: 1,010
    If the Silverado is like the Base Model Avalanche (and I suspect it is), on the '03 instead of showing up on the dash like before, now it's a text readout in the odometer display window.
  • catamcatam Member Posts: 331
    The only difference other than appearance is the standard features each truck comes with. Both trucks can be optioned and equipped to be identical vehicles, except for the grille.
  • bowtieman1bowtieman1 Member Posts: 38
    The 00-Z71, LT is almost ready to be swapped for a 03-Z71, LT. I have not been on this page very regular so I am wondering if anyone is aware if GM solved the start up valve clatter?? Can anyone advise? Thanks in advance.
  • obyoneobyone Member Posts: 7,841
    a long term problem. Therefore, I'd think there wouldn't be anything to correct. Denial at its best.

Course GM tends to handle these on a case by case basis just so that there's no class action lawsuit.
    If you have a 00. Just unplug the chime unit!
  • edd4edd4 Member Posts: 22
    I am looking for advice on color choice. I have a 2000 Fire Red Sierra with Graphite (dark) interior. I am planning to get black, gray, or light gray Line-X. Any opinions on which color would look the best?
    gray might not look bad at all. Just think though about how your going to use it. Will it get dirty often? Like hauling dirt and stuff. If so id opt for black.
    I saw a new pickup the other day with a matching red liner. The color was very close to that of the body. Looked really good too.
  • edd4edd4 Member Posts: 22
    Thanks for your input. I saw a new black liner recently and it looked good, but I am leaning toward maybe a dark gray if they have that color.
    HEY!.....Ray, that plowsite BBQ is gonna be Oct. 18 th this year in Poughkeepsie! So the same crew and I from waaaaay upstate NY will be invading your town again this year! Mark your calender and plan to attend ! We gotta compare knockers!
    Oh! the mini too....
    Gonna stay at the Best Inn again and party at the pizza uno too.
    Remember this is a family event...so ya can even bring the kiddies.
    (The mommies aren't interested anyway ...so they stay home!...goodie!) They can check out the big KIDZ toyz. Free BBQ and soda !...LOL.....geo
  • dmaddz71dmaddz71 Member Posts: 14
    My latest problem has been the Locking Rear Differential in the 10-bolt rear end w/ 3.73 gears. It used to lock up perfectly every time when one tire lost grip the other one immediately kicked in and started pulling. Now it starts off posi but quickly fades out and rarely (never) stays locked. How do go about fixing these things. Is an entire replacement necessary for a fix as I am sure it is broken. Any feedback would be grately appreciated.
  • abc246abc246 Member Posts: 305
    I read that GM fixed the startup knock in 03, but can't remember where I read it. I think they put a coating on the pistons and rings.

The locking diff does release when the speed goes over 18 mph. It has a mechanical governor that senses speed.
  • abc246abc246 Member Posts: 305
    My 00 reg cab 4x4 V-6 Silverado makes a knock that I am not sure how to fix. It is still under bumper to bumper warranty. When I brake the lower front A-arm seems to move and make the torsion bar slip in the A-arm yoke creating a clunk.

Is the fix just to grease the A-arm yoke or should the A-arm not move in the bushings? It only happens on the driver’s side. I have had the front differential replaced 2 times, not sure if they removed the A-arm during the repairs.

The truck has been doing an excellent job towing. It has towed an 8 foot wide 5000 lb camper about 1500 miles this summer from the mountains to 4x4 in deep beach sand. I push it hard and usually can keep-up or outpace traffic from a starting from a stop to hills. I watched the tranny temp going to the cooler and it never went over 200 degrees, even in stop/go traffic with the A/C. Not bad for a V-6. Gas mileage ranges from 7 to 11 mpg. It actually does better in city traffic (11 mpg) than 75mph with a strong head wind (7 mpg).
  • catamcatam Member Posts: 331
    My 96 chev 7.4L is used for towing mainly. Last weekend I went boating. On the drive there, I noticed my engine heated up beyond 210 probably to about 225, and the tranny temp was up around 210. Granted this was a hot day (98 degrees) and I was clinbing Parley's Canyon (15 miles with elevation going from 4500 to about 8500 ft). However, my boat only weighs 4500# and probably another 700# of gear in the bed.
    My truck already has the aux oil cooler, aux tranny cooler, and aux electric fan. I am planning on changing the thermostat, thinking that maybe it is not opening all the way. Is there anything else I should be looking at for better cooling??? Also does anyone know if there is a thermostat in the 180 degree range available for my truck, OEM is 195 degrees.
    ferrantel:

as far as I can tell, the message GM sends me is that the Silverado is for flag waving cowboys who like the mud and their horses while the GM is for those who work in the city and accidently get the bed filled up with dirt when waiting at a stop light next to a construction zone.

you will have to decide which demographic you fit into.

lol
    Heard that they put new pistons in sometime in 03. I made the leap of faith and now have a new 03,Z-71,ext cab LT in the driveway. GM supplier Discount and a 5K in discounts and rebates made it an easy choice. So far love the new stereo w/ Bose speakers, and automatic climate control. Some stated improvements in brakes that I do not know about yet but will find out. I was not crazy about the front end styling but once you add some light aftermarket stuff it cleans up nice.
  • ro22tolro22tol Member Posts: 24
    I pick up my truck Thursday morning. 2003 1500HD 4x4 short box. MSRP $36,678 Dealer went $1000 off invoice, then $6,500 in rebates so the final cash price with no trade was $26,025 !!!!

Couldn't pass up that deal!
  • PAmanPAman Member Posts: 207
    I'll pick up a 2003 Silverado LS extended cab with the 4.8 engine. The list is $29,715. With $5,250 in rebates and over $4,200 in GM card earnings, I couldn't say no. I couldn't walk away from the huge rebates and the GM card earnings that I can combine with the GM employee purchase discount, all of which end on August 1.

Yes, I know the rebates will probably be extended beyond 1 Aug, but the ability to use GM card earnings with the GM employee purchase program will be gone forever. Too bad--this will probably be my last GM vehicle, unless they start making cars and trucks that I just "gotta have" regardless of price. Based upon the past 10-15 years, I don't expect to see that happen any time soon.

As for the truck, can't wait to get my hands on it.....
  • ro22tolro22tol Member Posts: 24
    Yes I agree, the discounts were just to hard to turn down!
    The GM card earnings will still be in effect for GM employee/retiree/family deals. After Aug. 1st they will be reduced from 5% to 1% on those programs,,,,,,Bummer !
    And they want me to change to a GM family first plan M/C for the deal and that 1% bonus........

Funny thing is tho I just recieved a notice from GM card with a coupon for $750 or $1000 off bonus money if I purchase another GM car........geo
    With dealer incentives and rebates of $9,000 off MSRP, it makes you wonder who sets these prices and pitty the fool who pays anywhere near MSRP.
  • rob35ctsrob35cts Member Posts: 53
    Ok guys I had the o2 sensor, cat. converter, fuel pump, new fuel filter, timing, and looked for codes in the computer. They couldn't find anything wrong! My last tank of gas I really drove slow 65 on the highway, I coasted as much as possible, I anticipated lights so I rarely stopped. I could't have drove much easier. (5.7v8 1994 c1500 extended cab short bed) I only got 14m/g. I know in the past that combination driving would have gave me at least 17. I have got 19 straight highway before. I am burning 1qt of oil per 1000 miles. In the past I would burn 1 qt per 3000 miles. PLEASE HELP!!
    Have you had the cat. converter checked?
    Any muffler shop will do it for free........geo
    Have you had a compression test ran?? That type of oil consumption is very bad an indicative of a bigger problem. How many miles does that truck have on it?? Does it smoke out the exhaust or just leak?? When was the last time to change plugs & wires??
  • evergreenevergreen Member Posts: 213
    In 2000, I purchased a new GMC pickup and was noticing on my records that they charged me $500.19 for regional advertising. I purchased the vehicle for $350 over invoice and never noticed they had added this extra charge into the invoice price. That is all water under the bridge but I am now thinking about purchasing a new Corolla LE for my wife. Can I expect regional advertising costs or is that all built into the basic invoice price the dealer pays the manufacturer?
    ALL auto mfrs. now charge adv. fees. Now if they charged you the mfr. adv. fee AND a regional adv.fee. I would be having a talk with the dealerships GM.

Be careful on that toyota purchase. Those guys WHACK you a adv. fee and a regional dist. fee!
    Remember some person(s) OWNS the right to sell toys to dealers in his area. Thus the regional dist. fee on toys. Weird set up huh?

Thats why my die hard toyota cousin went to a Chevy Prizm instead of corolla last year, also he just got a new Vibe instead of the toy clone because of those charges. We are GM employee/family so we get the BIG discount. WE also pay NO adv. fees or DOC fees on the GM deal.
    ..............geo
This discussion has been closed.