Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chevy Silverado/GMC Sierra - Owners hangout

Comments

• seeligseelig Member Posts: 590
    now that's a name.............hey stoutporter, are you still using Malms on the truck?
  • ryanbabryanbab Member Posts: 7,240
    he should be using zaino haha
    easy Babs.........remember, to use Zaino, one must follow directions...........LOL
    HAHA i do i do

the nw and improved Z5 is awesome
  • stoutporterstoutporter Member Posts: 13
    waxed it once back in them olden days when new....I think?....dealer waxed it for a 1 year anniversary clean up for free.....and that was the last waxin'.....truck be 4 years old now....hell....I still got last years salt on the carpet!....it's a truck boys...get over it...Good luck on this one now! - Rube Porter
    >....I still got last years salt on the carpet!....it's a truck boys...get over it...Good luck on this one now! - Rube Porter<

yeah OK........i read that as being Lazy...........you are not worthy of Zaino.
    the cab air filters?........at least send them to me before the mildew sets in..............K?
    or that bar cap ain't never gettin fixed...........good luck on this one now!
    Tim looking into that burb yet?
    >Tim looking into that burb yet?<

Nah, that comes with instructions too........LOL
    you really should see the showroom he's got above the Rado............heck, you aren't that far away...........and Tim is one heck of a host..........i went home snockered, and 20lbs. heavier to boot........;-)
    haha I will have my own humble ebode in the near future. I am putting money down on a lot tomorrow then next yr i will start building. WOOHOO my truck will have a home (garage). Mike when i do my garage i might need a bar built :)
  • heavy5022heavy5022 Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2000 1500 5.3, 3.73 ex cab sb. 2wd. Last I remember at least 147,000 on the clock. So far I have replaced The gas guage sending unit, a couple of belts, front door speakers (one was cracked)and a battery (pretty common in AZ).

ORIGINAL BRAKE PADS!!!!!!

Anyway, I used to lurk here years ago. When Ryan was waiting for his "Indigo Blue" 1500. Ryan, you married yet?
  • madijomadijo Member Posts: 30
    What kind of mileage are people getting out of stock tires? I just purchased a set of stock tires that someone drove their brand new truck strait to the store and traded for a larger wider set. These are Goodyear 235/75/16's with about 12 miles on them. I got the set for $240.
  • jimbo49jimbo49 Member Posts: 10
    I have a dumb question for someone.
    What is the easiest way to determine if a truck has a locking Diff.? I recently purchased a
    2002 Sierra ext. cab w/ Z71 & am now sure if it is equipt w/ the locking rear.
    Not married yet.

Jimbo check the glovebox for the option code G80 to see if you have the locking rear end
  • rayt2rayt2 Member Posts: 1,208
    Everybody takes a break if yer smart ! Welcome back Mike !
    OK a question you probably haven't answered in a while, did you have the infamous "piston slap/lifter tick"? 147k is outstanding !
    If so I just gained a lot of confidence in my engines durability.

Do you do any towing with your truck or just a lot of long trips/highway miles?

Ray T.
  • txyank1txyank1 Member Posts: 1,010
    If it does all kinds of clanging and banging and shuddering and sounds like it's coming apart-----yep you got the locker. I hate it! Give me a posi.
  • dch0300dch0300 Member Posts: 472
    The locking diff. in my 2001 kicks in with no sounds or shuddering like you've indicated.
  • dustyonedustyone Member Posts: 262
    2000 Silverado driver's side mirror is being stubborn. The control is very sluggish. The passenger side is o.k. so the trouble has to be in the mirror itsself rather than the controller. The mirror will move if it is given a little help. Any suggestions here? Thanks
    No Burb yet.......I decided to buy the ex a house instead (wink)....Ado is dirty, but reliable. I could care less about the interior or the exterior. It's a truck. 76K Miles.....original F-stones 245's....will most likely replace them soon...if it wasn't for winter...I'd go 85K!.....hands down...the best tires I have ever owned.....most likely get the same tires.....same size. Original brakes...and cab filter!...LOL...

a good host ?....well heck yes........the best you ever seen.......Thanks for the kind words Mike....my friends are the world to me....without them we are nothing.....and yes.....I had him looped up right up until the airport terminal on Guinness and hot wings....... best friend I have met in years....Glad I met ya ace.... Get out and live yawl.....life is too damn short.. - Porter
  • kg11kg11 Member Posts: 530
    I've read here that you need to reinforce the corners of the bed to use a cross-bed tool box.

What about a ladder/lumber rack ?

I've had a lot of headaches with this truck,as many here have read,but untill somebody comes up with something that comes close in the comfort dept...I'd have to switch to a half-ton ford or dodge.Not an option.

So? Do I reinforce the corners?

kip
  • badgmbadgm Member Posts: 5
    GM has a "kit" avail. (free I'm told) to reinforce the bed lips so they won't warp when you add the tool box. I just glued a piece of 1x3 in 6 spots under the rail lip so my tonneau cover clamps won't bend the rail tops.......geo
    Hey mister!...Ya didn't make it to the BBQ in Poughkeepsie! All the plowheads and I were looking for ya! I had a Plowsite T-shirt and a Hannibal "hangovers installed and serviced" T for ya too !

We wanted to put your mini in the bucket of the BIG JD loader!...............geo
  • heavy5022heavy5022 Member Posts: 2
    I'm not sure who Mike is? My name is Chuck.

Yes, mostly Highway miles. Typically 85-95 MPH in 115 degree heat as I live in Arizona. I did own a 5000# travel trailer also.

Yes, the motor started knocking at about 12,000 miles...its a little worse now, frankly I don't worry about it.

I plan on running it another 100,000 miles or 2 years...than I may buy a new F-150 Supercrew.

Chuck
    Geo,
    Ever have a day that you knew there was something that had to get done but didn't ? Yup missed that darn Plowhead convention, was so looking forward to makin too!. I was at a firehouse live burn drill most of the day (it was scheduled at last minute and mandatory attendance) and beat all to hell by time we finished, so I forgot. Just tryin to do my community service as a volunteer ya know! Actually I thought for sure I was gonna see my Mini in the bucket of some loader by an overzealous plowhead so I skipped town haha !
    and stop chang'in yer name darn-it, if it were'nt for the "geo" signature I would not have known !

Chuck,

Confusion rules sometimes, I don't know how I thought you were Mike either. Mines a tapper too, started at 17k, but your longevity report gives me some piece of mind more so than that piece of paper GM gave me for the slapper, or was that supposed to be a wake up call ??
    I had purchased a service warranty contract over the internet to make keeping this truck for 10 years feasable but that company (Warranty Gold, Ltd) seems to be headed to bankruptcy court and I'm out $2500 for two vehicle service contracts!

Tim, I mean Stoutporter !

Curious minds wonder what tire pressures you kept those puppies at?? or did you fluctuate dependent on loads carried? I don't quite see my steeltex making 70k, with 45k on them now and not lookin so great for the impedding winter here on the eastcoast.

Ray T.
    Name Got changed...NOT because I wanted too.
    Its NOT because of any problems with my Chevy or Caddy either.

But thats another story.........

Hey what size shirt ya wear? Will have to send ya one!
    ......geo
    XL so I can do a shrink fit haha
    Now I'm curious as to why the name change.....e-mail me this long story, address in my profile. Your not the only one with a name change I've noticed.

Ray T.
  • gvoigtgvoigt Member Posts: 63
    Do install the corner reinforcement kit available from your dealership at no charge. I installed one when I got my cross bed tool box. My buddy didn't and now he has a slightly modified bed. The front left corner separated when a load shifted in his bed. It never would have happen with the kit or if GM would have done their homework and done the design properly. My cross bed is accompanied by two toprail boxes and that puts a great deal of weight and stress on the walls of my bed but thus far all is great.
  • hdblairhdblair Member Posts: 1
    I have the opportunity to get an employee purchase coupon (plus 4%) apparently called a "GM in the Driveway" incentive. Am looking to purchase a GMC Sierra 2500HD. Are these coupons any good? What kind of "real" discount does this provide? Thanks.
    Hey obyone i thought you said the zaino plastic/tire stuff doesnt run? I put it on my bedcaps and it rained last night (put it on 2 days ago) and it ran down the sides of the bed

What a waste of $12
  • obyoneobyone Member Posts: 7,841
    Mine's will last through at least 3 rains as compared to one with the 303. And I haven't had any "run" streaks. Hmmm, maybe your rain is too acidic? lol

Bottom line....better to waste $12 than to waste $25 with the 303.

One last thing. Did you allow it to soak in and wipe off the excess? Sort of buff it out? Taking off all the excess should reduce your streaks. Try it on your tires too so its not a complete waste.
    >"Try it on your tires too so its not a complete waste."<

would that be before Ryan changes the summer air out to winter air??

sorry babs, couldn't resist.........
    Ray T.,

245 Steeltex... fronts at 50 always, rears at 40 dry. Light loads for short distances I left rears at 40. Loaded I put them up to 80.

They look great, but are showing age when it's wet out.

Check pressure several times a month. I have rotated them about 7-8 times. Balanced 3 times or so, and got at least 2-3 alignments.....weather any of these things "feel" like they needed it or not.

Great tires.... Glad I didn't jump on the wagon back when everybody was scared about the sidewall issues with the "other" tires they made. The 10 ply are some nice tires. Hell...Firestone was the first company to make tubeless tires!

Was lucky to get 35K out of my Wrangler Td's on the last truck. BFG's are a little better, but you won't get this kind of mileage I'd imagine.

B-good

- Porter
    I followed the directions. I also did use it on the tires (they didnt run or streak like the side of the bed). I am happy how it works on the tires but not on the plastic. $25 for 303? I bought a gallon for $40 and still have 3/4 left from this spring (i used it on the bedliner a few times, one suggestion dont use tire spray on a spray in bedliner it makes it very slippery i almost fell out of the bed this weekend haha)

I did switch to winter air this past weekend. I pumped up the tire pressure to 58 rear and 55 fronts (did some hauling this past weekend). I have over 30K with my bfgs and they are wearing great.
  • gator36gator36 Member Posts: 294
    Had to change back to summer air over here in So Cal.

Recent temps in the triple digits. Not to mention the recent forest fires.
    it was 80 here early in the week but it has gotten colder. SHould be snowing in a few weeks :)
    in fun land......(err .. CA).......LOL
    honestly, i like it warm but our temps are crazy.
    BTW, just wanted to let you all know that GM gave me a warranty to ease my mind about the lower end knock that a lot of 2000's have.
    the warranty was for 100K or 5 years, and paid off recently with the tranny being replaced.
    the replacement wasn't quite as crisp as my wife's '01, and being friends with the service manager pays off as well. the truck recieved a 3rd tranny 2 weeks ago and is shifting like new.
    hit 109K this week and the engine is still running smooth as a kitten.............i really should change out the spark plug now too i guess.
    anyone care to guide me through replacing the plugs?
    i'd imagine the engine needs to be cold eh?
  • blackmax200blackmax200 Member Posts: 255
    Must the be the 3 year winter reunion? Ha Haven't been around much, but glad to see yawl still kicking... Looking at getting new tires for winter. Firerocks still have 4/32 but never know what South Coast NE winters are going to bring. Trying to get Michelin 275-70x16, but not many dealers have them and those that do seem to be quite proud of them.

Been working on boats a lot this year, trying to get enough sea time for USCG captains license. Other than that things still pretty much the same.

Got to agree with Tim... at least he got the cabin air filter! I don't even want to try to get at mine.

Mike good luck on getting the plugs out. Remember dude ya got aluminum heads!

Babs, haven't heard about school much.. did you graduate yet or did I miss that? My middle daughter started at ECU in Greenville, NC in August. Went down in the 'rado to get things set up. Stopped in Annapolis for an overnight, a month later, where we had dinner was under 6 feet of water. Glad Isabel didn't come and visit up here. I have fought my share of 'canes and don't really need to do more.

Keep the faith will try to check back more often.

matthew
    >"Mike good luck on getting the plugs out. Remember dude ya got aluminum heads!"<..................double DOH!

think maybe i should take it to a shop?
  • obyoneobyone Member Posts: 7,841
    Getting the wires off to get to the plugs.

Just changed wires on the Denali with 12k miles. talk about a pain........
  • bigfurbigfur Member Posts: 649
    a K&N fuel injection performance kit (or a full intake) on my 01 5.3 Silverado 4X4. Noticed an immediate improvement in performance, fuel mileage im not sure yet. Also made my exhaust sound alot better too (Flowmaster cat back into dual 3" pipes out the rear). Ill let you know if i see any improvement or not in my fuel mileage.
    Yea I graduated (this past May) with my bachelors in engineering. August i started again working on my masters, i figured if i stopped i wouldnt go back.
    >"August i started again working on my masters, i figured if i stopped i wouldnt go back."<

so what, we all gonna have to call you Master now??

on another note, being as smart as you are, give me some tips for getting those "blank" spark plug boots off.........

"good luck on this one now!"
    All i can say is good luck with the boots. About a month ago i was going to inspect the plugs and couldnt get a boot off so i left it alone (didnt want to break the wire since i didnt have a spare). I asked over on the other site and people said theirs came off easy.

ON the Zaino Note Obyone I emailed them and heres what they said

ryan,

You will get some runoff from water or rain.... I can't help that... but it will not cause any harm...

Sounds like you are putting it on to heavy....Try putting less Z-16 on...

Thank You,
    Sal Zaino

Their website says

One application of Z-16 Perfect Tire Gloss&#153; leaves an incredibly durable, water repellent, perfect looking satin finish, that's only slightly glossy and dry to the touch.

Now correct me if i am wrong but if it is water repellant it should not run. I am not claiming to be a smart guy but come on
    Master Ryan??? Hahaha right now I have a BS degree :)
    well we all know what BS degree means on this forum eh?

porter, you can chime in whenever..........LOL
  • noobie1noobie1 Member Posts: 326
    Someone may have already mentioned this here but, given the "pain", it bears repeating.
    I had the same problem the first time I took mine off. One trick to eliminating it is to thoroughly coat the inside of the boot with a glob of Dielectric Silicon Grease (GM #12345579 or equivalent), using a Q-Tip. Repeat as needed.

-David
    yea that will work for the next time but for the first time its a PITA

also that dialectric grease is good for the door weather stripping
    just found out that there is a boot puller that is about $12.00 to do the chore.
    i have a huge tube of Die electric grease that the dealer gave me 3 years ago.............they lube all the cab seals and weather stripping with the stuff.............totally wipes out the squeaks caused by dry stripping.
  • noobie1noobie1 Member Posts: 326
    This is another pretty good product to quiet weather stripping and cap boots, though I've never tried lubing spark plug boots with it. But, rather than spray it on, wet a small piece of cloth (not as messy). One of these days soon they'll come up with a material that doesn't need lubricating.

BTW, seelig: If you get that boot puller, let us know how it works out.

ryan: Man, you're right about that. I finally found a technique though that worked for me; I stood on a milk crate to get leverage and rotated the boot in a circular motion while pulling. Also, it pays to wear gloves; They can let go very suddenly.

-David
    milk crate? haha i stood on the step on my grill guard.

any of you guys detail your engine bay? Yesterday I spent about 2 hrs to clean the dust (from work) out of the engine bay. Used an air hose, vacuum, some Zaino Z16 on the plastic pieces and hoses and i waxed the back of the engine bay where it is painted (after cleaning it). I can tell you it sure doesnt look like I have 40K miles+ on my engine its pretty darn clean.
    that's all it took for me to give up engine detailing.............i'm waaaay too anal about this sort of stuff..........took me 2 days, and then i had to go on a job site that was employing what seemed like 2 dozen earth movers...........totally undid what i spent 2 days on.
    now the wife's truck still looks good, and we should be in the new home by December, so that one will get some sprucin up.
    there is a distributor in the area of my work (2hrs away) so i'll have to pick of some zaino.
This discussion has been closed.