Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chevy Silverado/GMC Sierra - Owners hangout

Comments

• seeligseelig Member Posts: 590
    count me in..............i'm wanting to unload the wife's '01 so the purchase of our new Jag will be even easier.
    the Jag dealer has no problem taking the '01 in for trade next month when our Jag comes in, but did ask "does the rado have that engine knock when cold?"..........Doh!!!!
  • ryanbabryanbab Member Posts: 7,240
    how cold does it get in california??? Its been dipping into the low 30s here as of late and you know what is wierd? My engine is silent usually itll have the noise a few times a week.
    but, it does drop to around 30 during the coldest part of the year.
    i have heard the knock in my wife's truck no matter what the temp is when it's cold.
    funny thing is that the wife's will surely beat my '00, but then again it ('01) has more ping to it so it might just be that it's advanced.
  • noobie1noobie1 Member Posts: 326
         Mine knocks anytime it's been sitting for 30 minutes or more, at any temperature, especially in the morning, louder and longer when it's cold. Though difficult, I think a case can be made that durability IS an issue. Yet, the strongest point is demonstrated by seelig in his,......Doh!!!!. No intelligent buyer (his Jag dealer or anyone else) is going to buy a vehicle making a noise like that without a significant discount. GM isn't volunteering to make up the difference. It comes out of the owner's pocket. And, it's a discount that would not be necessary were GM not negligent. And further, it makes no difference whether the vehicle has been sold or not. It's value is dimenished, period.

I haven't read the above articles yet, but it seems like both good news and bad. It's good news that it's finally happening; The bad is: 1.) Given that lawyers take the lion's share, if successful, are we all going to wind up with 500 bucks? Hardly worth the effort. 2.) Unless GM settles, it could be a many years court battle. I could be pushing up daisies before it's over.

On a similar note, it's finally dawned on me that auto warranties are like insurance policies, paid for in the purchase price. And just like an insurance company increases its bottom line by denying claims, so does.........Well, duhhh!

http://quicktake.morningstar.com/Stock/quarterly.asp?Country=USA&- amp;- amp;- amp;Symbol=GM&stocktab=finance 

-David
  • kg11kg11 Member Posts: 530
    The actual weight of my '01 2500 HD 4X4 8.1 EX-cab SB GMC ,with no driver and 1/4 tank of fuel is 6113 lb.Yours with 2WD and long bed should be similar. 5400 is way low.More like 58-59

kip
  • bigfurbigfur Member Posts: 649
    They say the solved the problem by the 03 model year. Instead of a 40K dollar buy back, why not just put an updated engine in the trucks that have the problem? Would cost GM less and keep us (the owners) happier.
    you would actually want your truck torn apart and a new engine installed? For some reason i couldnt trust someone else (other than the factory) to install an engine in a newer truck
    when the dealer installed the new tranny in my '00, i was welcomed with a banging sound when going over bumps.........AKA the crossmember was installed with finger tight nuts..........Doh!!
    the tech apologized and said sometimes a phone call breaks his routine and things like this happen...........imagine having your fan blast thru your radiator because some bozo got a phone call during the replacement of your engine.........LOL
  • z71billz71bill Member Posts: 1,986
    I think we have two separate issues here (at least)

1. What should GM do to fix / replace vehicles with a knock?

2. What must GM do to comply with the requirements of its 3 year / 36 month warranty?

I think it is safe to say most owners of knockers want the vehicle fixed / replaced or something done to make them feel whole.

But in a lawsuit what is right means nothing - what is the law will determine the outcome if this goes to trial.

Go look at the CONTRACT you signed when you purchased your vehicle. You will not find anything in this agreement that gives you one ounce of protection for an engine that makes a noise on start up. You will also not find anything that gives you any assurance of what the vehicle will be worth when you sell it. In fact I would bet all of our sales contracts have some wording in them that says something like "There are NO warranties, expressed or implied made by the seller or manufacturer except the written new vehicle warranty that is offered by the manufacturer. Seller disclaims all warranties including any warranty of merchantability or fitness for a particular purpose" In other words - Even if all our engines die at 36,001 miles and the market value of our vehicles is ZERO - GM has no LEGAL obligation.

The only way a lawsuit will do any good is if it puts pressure on GM to do the "right thing" - the threat of bad publicity and lost future sales could force GM to settle. Even if a jury finds GM responsible it would most likely be overturned on appeal.
  • jtt3jtt3 Member Posts: 20
    It doesnt matter what GMs sales contract says as Lemon Laws will supercede them anyway.

Most Lemon Laws include a clause about Loss of Value because of a defect.

It is a no brainer that an engine that knocks at startup will be worth a lot less than one that doesnt knock and maybe even Non-Sellable.
         Yeah, I agree about letting Chevy change the engine in my truck; What a scary thought. From what I've seen of the level of competence in Chevy service departments I might feel more comfortable letting JiffyLube make the switch.:)

z71bill;
            You make some interesting and valid points. But, as I read it in my contract, the clauses you note refer to the dealer and NOT the manufacturer. My contract follows those with, "This provision does not affect any warranties covering the vehicle that the manufacturer may provide". I'm not a lawyer and don't pretend to know much about it; In the end, it seems that the crucial thing is regardless of how much responsibility they do or do not accept, can an attorney convince a jury that GM is negligent in their customer's "loss"?

-David
    I don't know the details of every state's lemon law - but I think most have restrictions such as -(examples only) vehicle must be in the shop 5 times for the same problem - or out of service for 45 days in the first 6 months of ownership, or involve a safety related problem. I also think that the time frame to bring a lemon law case is limited. I don't think it is longer than the 36 month 36,000 mile warranty and have read some states only give you 18 months to start a case (or maybe that is 18 months to notify dealer of the problem). I also think it only covers the original owner of a new vehicle.

In any case it will be an uphill battle to prove a truck with a 10-30 second start up knock has a major defect or is "non-sellable" given the plain fact that many of these vehicles are bought and sold every day. Since I have not heard of anyone with an engine failure as a result of the knock - and at this point thousands of knocking vehicles have over 100K miles on them it makes me wonder how much the $ damages will really be.

Maybe we will end up with $1,000 discount coupons that can be used to purchase new GM trucks!! Ala - side saddle gas tank case.
    The fact that there are cases in which attorneys are winning or getting GM to settle as pointed out in the articles above should give reason for hope. I agree "non-sellable" is an extreme term and probably not applicable in most cases. But I know my truck is worth less to an informed buyer. And BTW, 10-30 seconds is a least case scenario. Even the GM TSB describes the condition as one to two minutes. Mine does this and continues to rattle down the road until operating temperature is approached.

-David
    I have about 5grand or more in add-ons on my truck which is why i think a new engine would be ok. Plus i hate the look of a 2004 so if by some grace they bought my truck back id be going to another brand for sure. I also dont see a Mass buy back or anything to that nature. I believe the real question is what WOULD they do for us???
  • obyoneobyone Member Posts: 7,841
    fixed orifice PCV valve installed in their throttle body? Yellow or red? I was reading up on the last TSB available for the rough idle/hard pedal and found it interesting that they installed a PCV valve in the throttle body. Who would have ever guessed?
    You make some good points. It will be interesting to see how this ends up. I have 2 5.3L Chevy trucks - my 99 had a slight start up knock that started around 20K miles, but it went away at 25K and has not returned (has about 40K now). So far the only time my 2001 knocks is the first start up after I change the oil. I see this as normal (but my 99 does not knock after oil changes so who knows). The 2001 has 27K miles.

If I were a betting man - I would put my money on the lawyers getting all the cash - the truck owners getting extended warranties (maybe 200,000 miles) and maybe a discount coupon to buy new trucks. I just think the chance of a major buy back or engine replacements is slim to none.
  • hknoepflehknoepfle Member Posts: 45
    I am getting ready to install a Sony XM receiver in my 2000- 2500 Rado. I am wondering if anyone has checked the back of the stock radio head unit for an audio input so I don't have to use the cassette adapter. Any info on install would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
  • don770don770 Member Posts: 12
    Last winter on the day after Christmas, I started my 2000 rado, and it knocked for about 3 miles. Probably would have knocked further but that was as far as I going. I have noticed that
    knocking ever since it had about 15k. It still does it in below freezing temps. It now has about 55k on it. Well out of warranty. Do people like me have any case against GM??
  • PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372
    Welcome to the Mazda Mania Weekly Chat!

Don't miss the newest addition to our live chat events here in Town Hall. Join us every Tuesday from 6-7pm PT/9-10pm ET for our Mazda Mania Chat!

Whether you own a Mazda, would like to own a Mazda, or just like going ZOOM ZOOM ZOOM... be sure to stop by and meet and greet your fellow Town Hall users! (We may even pull out some Mazda triva questions)

/direct/view/.ef1b553

...and don't forget Wednesday's member-to-member chat -- Our topic this week is "SUV or Truck? The new debate...

http://www.edmunds.com/townhall/chat/townhallchat.html

6-7pm PT/9-10pm ET. Drop by for live chat with other members. Hope you can join us!

PF Flyer
    Host
    Pickups & News & Views Message Boards
  • rayt2rayt2 Member Posts: 1,208
    Did you ever file a complaint with GM Customer Service regarding your engine knock when you first heard it or have dealer document it? If GM does anything it will probably be for all effected vehicles who reported the problem. I doubt it would be on a larger scale unless NHTSA gets involved with a recall declaration.
    My trucks 5.3 has been knock'in since 17k miles and has 45k now. Does it everytime it starts when engine is cold, lasts for minute or two (longer in the winter temps)then goes away. I have the "letter" from GM that warranties the problem for 100k or 5 years, but it's probably better off on the bottom of a bird cage for all it's worth !

Ray T.
  • cowboyjohn1cowboyjohn1 Member Posts: 125
    2001 2500HD, 8.1L, Allison, 4x4, Extended cab, long bed, 30,000 miles. After about 20,000 miles it began to whistle a bit, and is getting a little worse and louder as time goes on. Doesn't do anything for about the first 20 miles - almost seems like it needs to be warmed up before it starts. Also, seems like it might vary in intensity as power is applied or reduced. My ears aren't good enough to pinpoint where it is coming from. Better ears couldn't pinpoint it either. Anyone have any ideas??
    cowboyjohn
  • txyank1txyank1 Member Posts: 1,010
    supposed to be fixed or what may be different BUT... the 5.3 in my Avalanche not only has no knock/slap (11k miles) it also has no hint of pinging at all, which both my previous 4.8 and 5.3 did. :) (nothing but 87 octane BTW)
    I've never towed more than 7700 lb with mine.On the innerstate @65 you can't tell it's there most of the time. With your 6.0 towing 9k you're going to struggle on the hills.It all depends on how slow you can tolerate. My parents pull 6600 lb with thier 4.8 and love it. I tow 7700 and wish I had something bigger (diesel) than the 8.1

What's ON your truck and what's BEHIND it? I've seen some big 5ht wheels and stock trailers behind 2500s and I think I'd rather have a dually if I went over...OH,WAIT! You said 9000lbs ? I was thinking of MY max tow rating.You'll be fine,just a little slow on the hills.Make sure your trailer brakes work.
  • hennehenne Member Posts: 407
    Hello all, I am transferring over here from the Dodge Dakota Forums and wanted to say hello. I just ordered a 2004 2500HD Xcab 4x4, 6.0, Auto, LS. I had 3 dakotas in a row that couldnt be repaired and am coming back to GM. Hopefully I wont get caught up in all this CSK.

I hope to have the truck around the first of the year and hopefully the incentives will be as good or better then.

Robert
    Like a Rock. Iv'e never owned a Dodge product and don't think I ever will. Aside from the 66 International 1 ton dually for a first truck Iv'e owned nothing other than Chevy's. Ford is not an option either.
    Let us know when the truck arrives.

Ray T.
  • cyberdynecyberdyne Member Posts: 36
    One of the vehicles I considering is a 2003 or a 2004 Silverado 1500 ls with a 4.8 v8 and a 5 spd tranny. I will be using it to move 15k miles away, then as a daily driver? Will this truck hold up or can I expect a lot of problems? Please let me know any opinions.
     Thanks, Michael
  • stef7stef7 Member Posts: 22
    I have the same truck, 1999 Silverado 1500, 4.8, regular cab. 5 speed manual, 3.42 rear axle. I never had any problems with this truck. No engine knock or anything mentioned on this board (and I've been reading it for 4 years...)exept for throttle body sticking which I cleaned 3 years ago, working fine ever since. Also replaced the rear drums and pads but this is regular maintenance.

I think you will be pleased with this truck.
    Good luck!
  • cyberdynecyberdyne Member Posts: 36
    What do you think is the best rear end grar choice? The 3.42 or the 3.73? I will be using the truck as a daily driver and moving my stuff 1200 miles to relocate to Florida.
    I think that the 3.42 is just fine with a manual trans, unless you have to pull heavy loads all the time. I'm a general contractor, so all of my tools are in the truck all the time. I can see a difference when I unload everything, but not that much.
  • brockbbrockb Member Posts: 1
    buy a little more than you need;

manual tranny: don't forget about bumper to bumper traffic and your knees.

1/2 ton: carefully research your payload and towing requirements.
    My brother bought the same truck the same day (sept 1999)exept for auto trans. He paid 1200$ more than me for that feature. Last summer the trans busted. Replacement cost: 1800$ Out of warranty of course. We both are in construction business, pulling heavy loads regularly, building material, trailers with small tractors on them.
    I never had any problems pulling whatever was hooked behind. Of course if you're in traffic jams everyday, and you have a bad left knee like I do, this would be a thing to consider.
  • eholland1eholland1 Member Posts: 1
    Hello People. I'm new to the site I just took delivery(Actually Oct. 28th) of a 04' Silverado Sandstone Metallic, with a TAN velour/cloth interior. Power: Vortec 5.3-V8 & 3.73 rear. The color combination & positive press lead me to this truck. I was a Ford man for years, but I just wanted to try a different domestic. So far I'm in love with this vechicle. Hopefully I will have years of trouble-free use ahead. A question. When did most of you do your 1st oil change?(milage-wise) Thanks, ED
    I seen one for the 1st time last week and I love the color. Its a mix between pewter and the sunset gold
    Ok I got a bunch of oil filters at walmart a few yrs back. I am down to 1 so i ordered a 12 pack

Both types are PF59 AC Delco (the new ones have a recycle symbol on them) same part number on both labels also

Comparing the 2 they look different.

1. The gasket on the new one is thicker
    2. The little divits (holes) in the top had 5 in the old one and 6 in the new one
    3. You can see inside (actual filter area) easier on the new ones.

Just wondering if anyone had any comments. I know it was discussed awhile back

--------------------

Ryan

2000 Silverado LS 5.3 V-8 Z71 Ext Cab Indigo Blue
    Bought my 2001 5.3 LT silverado ex-cab in april with 28K on it. I have had it in TWICE for an engine tick, which as the rest of you was told its normal. Also had it in twice for the idle problem and was told once that it was electronically controlled and they couldnt do anything, the other time i was told it was something in my intake that was the problem. Ok fast forward five monthes since i was in the shop last...NOW i have what sounds like an engine tick when i press the gas. Seems to be getting louder and louder. I checked the oil and all the other levels they are all in operating range. Im out of my warranty period but do have an extended. Also have a full K&N intake and dual exhaust system on the truck. I am afraid if i take this truck into a dealer and ask them to look at it they will tell me its doing this because of one of the modifications i put on the truck and not fix it, in which case im out $200 for my deductible or whatever it costs for them to fix it even though i TOLD them monthes ago it was a problem. Just trying to get some advice from everyone out there, hoping a service tech or service writter might check this out and tell me whats going on. Any help is apprecated. Thanks,
    Tom
  • letsgetmikeyletsgetmikey Member Posts: 82
    I'm a refugee from the vans board.

Just bought an 04 GMC Sierra SLE ext cab. White with a tan interior. I did'nt like the "dark pewter" cloth interior that GM uses for about 95% of the trucks I've seen. It's like sitting in a bucket of tar. Had to hunt around for the tan interior, and one showed up last week at the closest dealer to me. Tan is probably more difficult to keep clean, but I'm pretty fastidious about keeping my vehicles in top shape.

Anyway, I have ordered a Leer topper from a local distributor (I have to carry around a lot of stuff).

I've also ordered a "Bedrug". Does anybody have any comments on these?

I also got a card from GMAC for a special promotion. GMAC will make the first two payments (up to $2000) if you finance through them. That's what pushed me over the edge to buy one now.

I got 4.9% rate, financed 18 months (and GMAC is making the first two). Payments are whoppers, but I only have to make 16 of them.

Love this truck.

Mikey
    Bigfur, Moss Magnunson Act covers your intake and exhaust modifications.Try a google search for the document and take it with you just in case. So the dealer can pound salt if they try handing you the line of bull about modifications, they have to prove it damaged something. Chuckbender used to post here and he works for GM, maybe he can shed some light, as far as the ticking engine goes. You already documented the problem while under warranty , therefor dealer has a record of it and can't use the line "your out of warranty" on you. They will try though so get your guns loaded for a battle. There are some lawsuits in the works in Florida right now related to our ticking engines, have to wait and see what happens with this.

Eholland, I did my first oil change @ 3k and thereafter every 5k, 45k do date so far. I'll change earlier if light comes on but that usually only happens when I do a lot of trailering. Average seems to be 4500m when light comes on when trailering. Hell the manufactorer says to change @ 7500m intervals, I'd only consider that if using a synthetic.

Ray T.
    Well they cant say they didnt know about it before i hand, i still have all of my records of everything i have bought and every service ever done since i bought it. Wonder who in Florida id have to talk to, being that i am moving there on new years day from Minnesota (another reason the engine thing is REALLY bothering me). I dont want to have the engine blow in the middle of my move, man would that suck. Oh well have to see what happens at the dealer, thanks for the info.
  • barlitzbarlitz Member Posts: 752
    I just purchased an 01 C3 with 25000 miles, pewter with matching tonneau cover. I've been looking the last few weeks at trucks. 04 F150 Supercrew Lariat they wanted $36,000 and also was looking at 04 avalanche Z71 could,ve gotten for $33000.The C3 is in better than mint condition, it still has remainder of factory warranty, paid $23000. I think I did okay, any opinions?
    "I never go by mileage or time...I go by oil color...one reason I like valvoline...it's a more clear color. anyway I like this oil change light...it is similar to my strategy; it goes by both time and mileage, and maybe more, such as engine load. But I always make sure I don't go beyond owners manual requirements."

You always make sure you dont go beyond the owners manual requirements, however you dont go by milage or time. Isnt the owners manual requirement to change the oil at a certain milage or time interval? Seems a little hypocritical to me
    amazing obyone, but even more amazing is the article in which they claimed to cut apart the filter to look for particles trapped inside by the magnets, and find none. could it be because there are no particles, or that the magnets do nothing more than hang around the outside of the filter making you the owner, feel more confident that you just spent money on a well designed device that does nothing?
    Trailer weight ratings for both 2500 HD and 3500 HD with 8.1 or diesel are 15,100-15,500.

The 8.1 was first available in '01 replacing the 7.4 with more power, higher tow ratings and better fuel economy. I get 13 on the highway (empty)compared to 10 in a '89 w/454 and aprox the same weight and axle ratio.

DRW pros and cons: Dual rear wheels contribute a lot to stability when towing or hualing, especially in the wind. There's less sidewall flex with more tires and a wider stance.

Your tow rating goes down slightly with DRW because your GCVW is the same for duallies as it is for SRW. DRW are harder to park and wear out more tires in the same number of miles.

hope this helps.
    kip
  • obyoneobyone Member Posts: 7,841
    Actually, the best place for these magnets are attached to your hard drive. Removes any bugs or viruses Windows might have. Course it will also protect the hard drive from any metal particles that are attributed to the read/write process of the head.
  • txyank1txyank1 Member Posts: 1,010
    "One of the vehicles I considering is a 2003 or a 2004 Silverado 1500 ls with a 4.8 v8 and a 5 spd tranny."
    I don't think they offer a 5 spd with V8 any more. Not for the last couple years.
    you wouldn't by chance be joshin' me now would ya?
    i'd think the magnets would be better served around my JL bass...........LOL
  • blackmax200blackmax200 Member Posts: 255
    for not hanging here more often... I haven't been in a discussion about filter magnets since 1982 when I was traveling in Wisconsin, Iowa and Minnesota for FRAM. I better run down to the Tractor Supply Company and get me some of those "Cow Magnets" for the filter, gas line and maybe get some for the hard drive too... BWHAHAHAHAHAHahahahahahah... Oby, Mike you're killin' me...

00 Z-71 still running great... my bud just got a 04 K3500 stdCab DRW dump body & 8.5 Fisher blade... man talk about go anywhere... bring on the snow
    Hope everyone had a great T-Day... now for the next comercial holiday... :-(

matthew
This discussion has been closed.