Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chevy Silverado/GMC Sierra - Owners hangout

Comments

• ricschricsch Member Posts: 540
    I plan on dropping my truck using a Hotchkis Suspension kit for a 2-4 drop on my '01 x-cab, kit consists of lowered front coils and rear leaf springs, told directly by the company that I won't have to install a c-section in the rear frame. Other companies offer spindles or lowered control arms for the front and new hanger and shackle kits for the rear, but the Hotchkis kit is a simple bolt-on (except for the x-cab's carrier bearing support bracket redo), heard of guys swapping the hangers and it's not all that fun. Ordered my kit from Summit Racing for around $500, free shipping also.
  • dustyonedustyone Member Posts: 262
    I wonder if I could use the 4" lowering stuff you guys throw away to raise my truck 4" and would two kits raise it 8 inches. LOL
  • parkpointerparkpointer Member Posts: 4
    Recently bought 2001 -Cab 1500 I/ 4.8 & 3.73's. I am dumb, didn't have any vie problems on (3) 4x4 test drives 1-LT -Cab I/5.3 & 3.73's I/ LT265's auto everything; 2-LS Re Cab shorted I/ 5.3-3.73's-LT265's auto; 3-LS -Cab 4.8 & 3.73's w/ LT 245 ALS BW's. Then the dealer found my opts and made a dealer swap. Funny, I never test drove, because it was exactly what I wanted. But alas, the vibes like you read about. Here's the truck info: built 8/2000, tires-LT245 General Ameri 660 ALS BW's on Alum Rims, HD susp (1st opt past std.), built-Oshawa, locking rear, and 4spd auto. The vibe throught the column is quite noticeable. Have had the tires rebalanced to no avail. Then had two replacements mount on front which have helped slightly. Waiting for two better rears. [To those whose vibes are light, please say drivetrain and tire combo?] Not sure if certain tires help or not? The least of the test drives was the loaded LT. Probably has more sound dampening than regular LS's, don't know for sure. Have regular front to rear aftershocks, but oddly they're very slight and only really suck on frost-heaved roads. If anyone has any success stories, please comment! Thanks!!!
  • obyoneobyone Member Posts: 7,841
    Sounds like your dealer is on a try and see style of diagnosing. GM has a vibration analyzer which costs about $300. The dealer, if he doesn't, should buy one of these as it helps to pinpoint the vibration. It's been awhile so I'm going to have to check my notes if I still have it as to the name of the unit. Interesting that you have the vibes as I thought it was resolved prior to the '01 were manufactured....
    if anyone knows of a site (forum) for motorcycles, specifically Harleys similar to the Edmund's town hall?
  • minikinminikin Member Posts: 389
    "zactly...only beer to come in cans should be ones with widgets..like Guinness/Murphys/Boddingtons......and there is something about a Fosters Oil can that is manly!"

Boddingtons? widgets? Where the hell are you from, anyway? Must be somewhere worth while. Back on the day you wrote this I was sucking down Boddingtons and Theakston's O.P. in a Yorkshire, Harrogate district pub. Do that about 2-4 times a year.
    -- Don
  • ryanbabryanbab Member Posts: 7,240
    huh?

whatcha need to know?
  • minikinminikin Member Posts: 389
    To me it was worth the $330 just to correct the tire size (265 Mich LTX/AT from 245 Steeltex AT) after I dumped the stock tires at 2500 miles, without having to screw with taking the truck in to the dealer. (Yeah, I know, I probably just have too much money, but I hate dealing with those guys if I don't have to.) Being able to fine tune the tire diameter in 0.25 " increments to get the speedo dead on, firming the shift points, and effectively removing the speed limiter really made it worthwhile. So did the ability to optimize power for premium fuel. I regularly drive 5.3, 4x4 Silverados at sea level in LA and DC as business rentals and realize that for most of you guys the stock power's OK, but living at 6000+ feet every HP counts.
    -- Don
    I also put the shiftfirmness on and changed the limiter to 110.

I like it good acceleration
  • mgdvhmanmgdvhman Member Posts: 4,157
    Michigan is the place.......surrounded by Bud drinkers..although a larger group is forming each year that likes REAL beer.

Drink on brudduh

- Tim
  • skeeter01skeeter01 Member Posts: 2
    Let me run this one by you. There is a dealer in my area that is selling a
    2000 1500 reg cab Z71 for 22k.Shortbed with the 5.3. Its a brand new truck- just need to move
    it because its a 2000 model. Should I jump on it or keep looking? I'm in the South Texas area
    if that makes any difference.Also, anyone who has a similar truck I am interested in knowing what
    kind of MPG they are getting Thanks for any input...

-Skeeter
  • blacksilvertooblacksilvertoo Member Posts: 6
    Hard to tell from the info you give. Reg cab, but how equipped? If it's a stripper, that's a poor price -- if it's leather and plush, then it's a good price.
  • tucsonjwttucsonjwt Member Posts: 265
    printout in their office. Then enter the options in any car pricer (edmunds, nada, carpoint, etc.) and compare invoice to list price. You should be buying the 2000 way below invoice, in my opinion (at least $1000 or more) plus any dealer incentives and rebates out there - Edmunds has this information also.
    Long term, I would go for the short bed ext cab and a new one to improve resale, since you are up over the $20 K mark already with the 2000, if you are planning on a short bed anyway. Also, the 2001s are supposed to have frame improvements to lessen the "shakerado" vibrations on the earlier models.
    Good Luck.
  • 87lion87lion Member Posts: 166
    I have a truck similar to yours - 2k Silverado, 2wd, x-cab LB, 4.8L auto with 3.43 rear end, and 235's. I get numbers very similar to yours, maybe 1 mpg less in mixed driving.
    I'll be driving cross country next week and got the truck serviced for the long drive. Oil change, lube, tire rotation, SW upgrade, change rear diff fluid. Dealer charged about $32 a quart for the diff fluid.

BTW does anyone know which hotel chains are dog friendly? My pooch will be accompanying me on my trip.
  • sf0383sf0383 Member Posts: 204
    I have stayed at some Residence Inns that allowed dogs. I was at a Best Western in Colorado last week and people had dogs with them there.
    I'll check into it.
  • erikf2erikf2 Member Posts: 100
    Try the following links: www.petvacations.com, www.petsonthego.com/accommchains.html, www.allstays.com/Special/petfriendly.htm, www.planet-pets.com/lodging.htm

Don't forget that the information on these sites might be out-of-date, so call ahead to any hotel or motel where you think you might stay.
  • jaslon4jaslon4 Member Posts: 15
    I just bought a 2001 chevrolet silverado ls. It has the Z71 package, locking diff. automatic, has the 4.8 V-8. Upgraded to the cast aluminum wheels. It is also a shortbed and reg. cab. Paid just over 22k. Hope this helps.
  • skeeter01skeeter01 Member Posts: 2
    Thank you all for the information on the 2000 Z71. Unfortunately the truck has been sold. So I'll keep looking. I was not aware of the frame improvements for the 2001 "Shakerado" thats good to know. Again I thank you all for your input. It has been a big help.
  • jhendleyjhendley Member Posts: 2
    See my first post #326 describing my new 01 GMC. I also would like just to lower the rear about 2 or 3 inches to level the tuck when empty. I do not carry very heavy loads, don't need the rear end height. I am also looking for advice on the best dual exhaust system. I am not looking for noise, only better looks and performance. Hope some-one can help in these two areas.
  • dustyonedustyone Member Posts: 262
    I used the Flowmaster 70 Series dual exhaust on my '00 Silverado Ext Cab. Easy to install, no resonance in cab, nice low rumble (not noise). Noticed a hp increase (perceived?). Used the side exit to maintain factory appearance. www. flowmaster.com
    If you don't want noise then don't let anybody talk you into flowmaster 40's. I made that mistake and had them cut off the same day. wasn't able to get the 70's right away so I went with a more traditional 'turbo' muffler that sounds pretty good. It's still plenty loud when you get on the gas. The higher revs due to the 4.10 rear end don't help either.
  • blackchevyblackchevy Member Posts: 12
    After finally getting my new 2 wheel drive HD2500, I was amased at how high you are in this vehicle, and was wondering how high the 4 wheel drive must be, but after checking both are 6.5 inches in ground clearance. I was wondering why this is. Is it because of the Allison trans or what?
    I was told that the two and four wheel drive 2500HD are the same height because they raised the body to allow room for the Allison. I've seen two and four wheel drive side by side on dealer's lots and I couldn't tell the difference
  • nutmegger1nutmegger1 Member Posts: 1
    Dave, would be interested in the data sheet you offered in your message #501. E-mail me at eefarrington@hotmail.com. Thanks.
  • dansa2dansa2 Member Posts: 28
    at 10,000 miles dealer replaced all 4 tires and the spare with new good years. said my front end shake was caused by not rotating tires at 6,000 mi.and premature wear/bad tires. they replaced them under tire warranty. was asked to bring truck in for a check at 13,000 i. still had the shake. they balanced the tires and rotated. now at 15,000 mi. I still have the shakes. since owning the truck I drive the same highway 5 days and it will only happen 1 day out of the 5.I mentioned the rack and control arms and the repair memo posted on this board from another poster but the dealer says its not that. I guess I have to call the big cheese at the truck department,GM, to get any help.
    Have you went to a different dealership to have it checked out? I had a '00 that they had did the service bulletin to and it still wasn't right, now thanks to the aid of the BBB, I'm driving a smooth '01.
  • dinosierradinosierra Member Posts: 14
    Had a vibration on my 99GMC.Steering pol.
    found a service bulliten some where but can't remember. But the # is 00-02-350/.005 Part # 26085548 E7700 shaft steering intermediate.
    Hope this helps
  • dansa2dansa2 Member Posts: 28
    what,who is bbb.
    bbb = better business bureau
  • billbysbillbys Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2500HD Silver ado with the 8.1 engine/Allison 5 speed and a 4.10 rear axle. I only have about 1400 miles on it thus far with my driving split about 75/25 highway/city. I drove the first 500 miles as recommended at 55 or less and now drive the speed limit which is 70 mph where I live. I've towed my 13000# 5th Wheel 50 miles at the recommended 50 MPH (500 towing mile breakin max) and all the driving together has averaged 12.5 MPG. I have had individual tanks as high as 13 and as low as 11.9 MPG. So far I am thrilled with the truck and will continue to be if things go as they have so far. I'm planning a towing trip soon and anxiously await the mileage figures towing my 13000# RV. The limited towing thus far indicates the truck will definitely handle the trailer better than my 98 454 did which wasn't all that bad. Now if the new engine will just hold together!!
    gas are you using?

Thanks

- Tim
    ..Crew cab?.....ex.cab?....reg cab?

- Tim
  • billbysbillbys Member Posts: 2
    The truck referred to in message 382 is an extended cab and I'm using regular unleaded grade gasoline formulated for the Kansas area. I would add that you don't have to baby the 8.1 to get the stated mileage.
  • whatsachevywhatsachevy Member Posts: 136
    '01 Silverado 2500HD EC 4x4 SB 6.0 4.10 locker - Just filled up for the first time. 306 miles, 25.0 gallons (12.2 mpg). Don't know how full the dealer filled the original tank, so I'll update the next several fillups to see if anything changes. Miles consisted primarily 50/50 city/highway at speeds normally not exceeding 80 mph (had to try the 100 mph limiter one time). I definitely have a lead foot. This truck is great for someone with a lead foot. Will get scratch shifting to second gear in tow/haul mode. Was always told if you're going to drive a vehicle hard, then break it in hard. We'll see!
  • deviatedeviate Member Posts: 9
    Hey guys--lowered my new '01 Sierra 2WD a couple of weekends ago. All Belltech, spindles and shackles. Pretty slick 2" front, 4" rear, same great ride quality. Questions of the day: #1: Two days in a row now, I've parked the truck, gone to bed, and when I get up to go to work in the morning, the clock is wrong. No, the battery didn't go dead, starts fine, and it's not the CD time showing, it's the clock. So, I reset it and go on with my life. Next day, same deal. And it's not starting at 12:00, like the clock was using key-on power, it's strange times like 3:14 or 10:51 or something. Ideas? #2: Softer shocks than the Belltech Nitros for a lowered truck? The belltechs are about the same as the factory ones as far as stiffness, and I'd like to go a bit softer, it's got a little rear-end buck. #3: Before I did any wrenching on the truck, I took a tape measure around to every wheelwell, and measured the stock height. On level ground. Passenger side rear was 7/8" taller than driver's. Naturally, this remained after I lowered it, so I just put a 3/4" spacer on the driver's side to even it out, and then did the four-wheel alignment after that (it lined up fine). Just wondering if anyone else has experienced this, must be an inconsistency with the factory leaf springs. OK, other than this little stuff, it's a great truck, 1100 miles and counting. Thanks in advance for any input! ----Tony in Nebraska
  • animal7animal7 Member Posts: 6
    Anybody have actual fuel mileage on this vehicle? 2001 crew cab in chevy or gmc with dual wheels, 3:73 rear and 6.0 with 4l80e or allison, long bed!. I own a 99 gmc crew cab w 5.7, 4:10 and a
    short bed and am getting 13.5 mpg on the highway. Hoping the new one will do better.
  • hunter98hunter98 Member Posts: 273
    You won't do any better, it seems that the 6.0L on average is getting 2 mpg less than the 350 vortec in the same truck setup (weight, trans rearend, ect)

Hunter
  • txyank1txyank1 Member Posts: 1,010
    I'm new here so I apologize if this is "old" news. The dual exhaust comments caught my eye. I had a '99 X-cab with 4.8 and put the same 50 series Flowmaster I had used on all my 350's on it. Wow! Sounded great outside but couldn't stand the resonance inside. So I swapped to the 70 series big block muffler. Quieter than I would have liked out the back but much better inside. I Recently bought an '01 with 5.3 so I called Flowmaster to see what they had come up with. Their cat-back system uses the 70 series with a resonator in between the cat and the muffler. Knowing the 70 is a little quieter than I wanted I decided to go with the 50 but with the resonator. Ideal compromise! Sounds great and very little resonance inside. I think I actually lost some mpg on the '99 but may have gained 1 to 1 1/2 mpg on this one. These LS1 engines are awsome.
    seems wierd that people can get the same MPG out of a 496 that I get out of my 364!

Must be the tighter 5 gears instead of 4?

who cares.....I believe 8.1 will be for me...soon

- Tim
  • animal7animal7 Member Posts: 6
    How is the mpg with the 8.1 compared to the 6.0 in the same truck? 2001 crew cab, long bed,
    dual wheels, 4 x 4, 3:73, allison? Can't decide which way to go with gas price going out the
    roof. I would love to try the Duramax, but can't justify the extra 5 grand! Any info would be
    appreciated.
    Now that the truck is lowered, have you experienced any bottoming out in the rear (assuming you hadn't installed a c-notch in the frame)? Hopefully in the next month I will have time to install my Hotchkis suspension. Is your truck an ext.cab? If so, did you install a carrier bearing relocating bracket? Any driveline vibes? Have no suggestions on the clock issue except take it to the dealer.
    don't know abut that combo.....but I have a 2000 2500 LT SB with 4:10's....get about 12.5-13...50/50 city/hwy..and while some people are getting the same MPG with an 8.1...(ex.cab & crew)....there are a few 10-11 MPG reports....but even some of the 12-13's claim they drive it hard....so who knows...

as I said before....I like power...one of the reasons for a 6.0 when I couldn't get my 350 anymore...and I can't go down in engine size!...LOL
    ...so now going from a Ex.cab to a Crew cab....that's more weight...so I GOTTA get an 8.1!....right!?

haha

- Tim

....the 8.1/Allison Ex.cab and Crew cab I drove felt very nice....kinda made the 6.0 Crew cab seem like a wounded pig!

....but all 3 are very nice
  • cdnindccdnindc Member Posts: 14
    Has any one purchased a tonneau cover offered through GM Parts, the hard foldable 4-piece lockable cover? I'm looking to know if it locks the tailgate and if is it watertight. Please offer opinions or better alternatives with prices???
  • blair223blair223 Member Posts: 20
    At first I was getting 13.0 MPH on my 2000 2500 LS SB Ext Cab 6.0L with 4.10 gears. Now after 14,000 miles (in 6 months..ouch) I am getting 14.0 with about 80% highway miles. No heavy loads but not babying it either (70 MPH with cruise control on highway and slightly heavy acceleration after most stops)
  • jdh8jdh8 Member Posts: 9
    Hello All:

I have a smoke colored Lund Trident Bug Deflector that is brand new - never been used
    - although I did open the box - for sale. I got this one by mistake when I ordered one
    for my 2000 Yukon. This one
    is for the 1999-2001 Silverado 1500 or the 2000-2001 Suburban/Tahoe -- it does not fit
    the GMC models (Yukon/XL/Sierra) -- that one is slightly different because of the
    different front end grille on the GMCs as opposed to the Chevys. It is part number
    86063. These retail for about $70 plus usually about $10 shipping. I will ship this to
    whoever is interested for $70 flat -- or best offer. I'm figuring a $10 shipping cost in
    there which I'll pay for, so this is a pretty good deal. Please email me at
    jhess@best-in-class.com if you are interested and we can work out a way for you to get
    me a check and I'll get this big box out of my house. I put one on my 2000 Yukon and it
    looks and works great.
    Haven't checked in a while...but last tank with my 2000 2500 SB LT with 4:10's was 14.2 MPG

not too shabby for my driving..

- Tim
    ..almost 33,000 miles

- Tim
  • caveman3caveman3 Member Posts: 14
    local dealer has several 01 1500 HD crew cab 8600 gvw , but only in short bed , expect to have long bed by mid summer . looks like 2k 2500 , but in cc . will wait on the 8ft. bed.
This discussion has been closed.