Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chevy Silverado/GMC Sierra - Owners hangout

Comments

• z71billz71bill Member Posts: 1,986
    So - coasting down a hill in neutral and hitting the brake causes your gas gauge to change?

IMO that would be normal -

And really how often does anyone really do this anyway?

What do you think happens to the gas when you hit the brakes? It sloshes around - and that effects the reading on the gauge. When you are in gear and stop - or go up / down a hill the gauge is designed to hold the current reading so you don't have the gauge readings moving all over the place.

If you drive more than a few miles before the gauge changes / shows a correct level then that is a problem -
  • bigfurbigfur Member Posts: 649
    Went thru and just switch the coil pack to a differant cycnder that the pack i thought was bad. The OBD said #6 had a misfire, so i switched the coil pack from #6 to #4 and reset the code. So far no codes have come up but the truck is acting almost the same. This dosent make sense to me. Wondering if anyone has any more advice for me. Im quite grateful for the advice i have gotten so far.
  • westuagwestuag Member Posts: 7
    Does anybody know what the 2005 front end will look like? Any pictures out yet? Will there be any changes to the interior of the Silverado?

I am considering buying a new CC, but I would like to know what the new ones will look like before I do so.

Thanks for the help.
  • obyoneobyone Member Posts: 7,841
    If changing the coils made no difference I'd have a look at the plug. Funny that the miss doesn't trigger a code. Then again neither did mine.
  • aa555zzaa555zz Member Posts: 55
    <i'm confused.......you said the dealer fixed the problem, then go on to say that dealers can be dishonest?...........what are you actually saying???>

My problem was fixed. However, another person took their vehicle to the dealer to have a problem fixed under warranty,,, only to have the problem recur a very short time later when the vehicle was no longer under warranty. Now the dealer wanted to charge them lots of money to fix the problem again. My point is,,, maybe the dealer never fixed the problem the first time.
  • txyank1txyank1 Member Posts: 1,010
    just changed in '03. Not likely to change again for a couple yrs. Next front end update I would expect to be Sub/Tahoe.
  • boat10boat10 Member Posts: 59
    I have a 2002 rado, 2wheel drive, short bed with 17340 miles on it. My problem is I have a squeal in the steering column on cool mornings when turning to the left. Have had the SIR coil changed and the intermidate shaft greased per GM...NO LUCK...still have the squeal when turning to the left. Anyone out there have (had)the same problem and what was the remedy to fix. I have had the truck back 4 differant times, but not fixed.
    New problem cropped up last week..have a popping noise in the front end when going over a slight bump in the road. Sounds like metal to metal hitting against itself. It does not cause any driving problems,just the sound. Have ask my servicing dealer about this, they don't have a clue as to what's going on. I asked to have the front end lubed...guess what...no jerks in the front end to lube!!!!!!!!!!!
    Any help would be appreciated.
  • seeligseelig Member Posts: 590
    mine is a '00 with the left turn squeal.
    had the intermediate shaft replaced, but the squeal stayed..............my remedy was an all out stereo job.......well over 1,200 watts and triple layered the entire cab now with sound matt..........oh, the squeal, well i still hear it, but it's not as prononced as it was the first couple years.........the wife's '01 never had it so i thought GM had taken care of this problem.........guess not.
  • wispwisp Member Posts: 6
    hey there--actually we were just following the other guy's test. The gas gauge is very erratic from 1/2 tank or less. We watched the gauge drop 3 "clicks" while on a straight away, no rhyme nor reason.

Having a gauge that can move nearly 1/4 tank with no provocation is a big deal to us---I suppose we could keep the tank full all the time, but it's not always feasible where we live and drive. We live in the middle of nowhere, and have great long stretches of mountain passes with no stations.

The poster who originally brought this up was saying that anytime you go through neutral, the gauge becomes erratic--that's just backing out of a driveway, or anytime you start the vehicle.
    Called around to find the price on them, Pep boys had them for $49 a peice. Just thought id let you guys know.
  • andrzejandrzej Member Posts: 1
    I have a 1997 GMC SIERRA 1/2 ton 4x4 with an electronic tranfer case. When i put it into 4x4 the the car is making "boom" noise, and when try to accelerate a little harder there is this metal to metal grinding. Similar to a chain slipping out of gears. I don't know if it is the chain or not. Give me some insight on what the problem could be and if there is some kind of website out there that has a good step by step procedure to rebuild the transfer case. Thanks in advance!!
    I agree - if your gauge shows bad readings - it is broken and needs to be fixed -

Like I said - the gauge is designed to hold steady when the truck is in gear so the reading does not jump all over every time you hit a bump or turn a corner or go up or down a hill. But for some reason the gauge will move if the truck is not in gear. Every time I back out of my driveway (which is down a hill) and shift from reverse to drive my gauge changes - but by the time I drive 2 blocks to the corner it is reading correctly again.

My gauge is fine - but

I know that in normal driving (for me)I will need about 23 gallons of gas somewhere between 325 and 350 miles - I reset the trip odometer at every fill up - If I go 350 miles and my gauge is not at 1/4 of a tank or less I would pull into a gas station and fill up anyway.
  • bjlbjl Member Posts: 7
    Does anyone have any ideas what would be wrong with my truck stereo? I got in my truck and the radio station seemed like it was off the air- no static, just dead. So I tried changing channels, playing cd's- still no sound. It seems to be operating correct other than no sound. It's like as if you hit "mute". I have checked my owners manual and came up empty. Any ideas?

Thanks,

bjl
  • psgpsg Member Posts: 72
    There is a service bulletin on this. I took my truck into the dealer and they did a reprogram. I haven't had the problem since.

Phil
  • noobie1noobie1 Member Posts: 326
    This doesn't sound like the same TSB but it should get you in the door.

Radio - Erratic or Intermittent Operation

File In Section: 08 - Body and Accessories

Bulletin No.: 01-08-44-014

Date: November, 2001

INFORMATION

Subject:
    Erratic or Intermittent Operation of Radio

Models:
    2002 Chevrolet Camaro, Corvette
    2002 Chevrolet and GMC C/K Pickup and Utility Models (Silverado, Sierra,
    Avalanche, Suburban, Tahoe, Denali, Yukon, Yukon XL, Yukon Denali)
    2002 Chevrolet and GMC S/T Pickup and Utility Models
    (S10, Sonoma, Blazer, TrailBlazer, Jimmy, Envoy)
    2002 Chevrolet and GMC M/L Vans
    2002 Cadillac Escalade, Escalade EXT
    with RPO ULO, UNO OR UL9

The following intermittent conditions may occur with the entertainment system:

^ The radio turns off by itself.

^ The radio's audio cuts out.

^ The radio can't be turned off.

^ The radio functions/features are erratic.

Important : The above conditions are INTERMITTENT symptoms and may be difficult to duplicate. The customer reporting any of these concerns should be justified in exchanging the unit as these symptoms may never result in a permanent failure.

Radios that exhibit the conditions above should be returned to an ACDelco(R) Service Center for exchange.
  • psgpsg Member Posts: 72
    02-08-44-020B MAR 03 Audio System - No Audio From Speakers At Times.
    Thanks for the input on my audio trouble. I will be calling my dealer in the morning. One of these TSB's has to be my problem. I just had this truck in there last week! My only issues were "service 4wd" on my display. Second time for this one. Also one of my keyless fops died- they replaced and reprogrammed. Wonder if all these problems are some what related? All involving computer reprogramming. Just a thought. I will report back.

bjl
  • obyoneobyone Member Posts: 7,841
    "Wonder if all these problems are some what related?"

Common denominator being that it's made by the General.
    Good news radio works this morning. Bad news something else is haywire. Truck struggled to start. Something funky! Waiting for my dealer to open.

bjl
  • madjakmadjak Member Posts: 1
    I am shopping for a late 90's model Chevy or GMC truck. I have heard that a letter or number in the VIN tells which rear end gear it has. Does
    anyone have any info on this or know how to identify the gear ratio in a used vehicle?

Thanks,

Jack
  • catamcatam Member Posts: 331
    There is an underhood decal that lists all the option codes installed on the vehicle. Just find out the option code for the rear end you are looking for and cross reference it with the decal. To the best of my knowledge, the VIN # does not include this info.
    PS. Some model years put this decal in the glove box.
    02-08-44-020B MAR 03 Audio System - No Audio From Speakers At Times.

This is what it said on my repair summary. Like psg mentioned. The rough start was not found, but it only did it that one time. I my have made that happen. Sunday I was jockeying the truck about in my garage to get at the fuses. A lot of starting-moving the vehicle, turning off, starting...
    Hopefully my problems are solved.

Thanks,

bjl
  • seeligseelig Member Posts: 590
    my Kenwood system works just fine...........what TSB are you guys talking about.............LOL
  • gearhedgearhed Member Posts: 26
    I had the aluminum wheels rotated on my 2003 Silverado in December. I asked the dealer to grease the screw threads before putting the wheels back on. The service manager refused and said they don't do that anymore as a safety issue.
       Three months later, I get a flat tire. Five nuts came off using a whole lot of force, but one nut unscrewed about three turns and then locked up solid. I sprayed WD-40 oil all over it, waited a few minutes, and it still wouldn't come off with a two foot breaker bar on it. So I had to take a truck with less than 9k miles on it back to the dealer to change a flat. Anybody else hear about garages who refuse to grease the wheel threads as a safety policy?
       I feel that if I get a flat out in the middle of nowhere and can't get a wheel off, why bother to include a spare tire?

Thanks
  • iowabigguyiowabigguy Member Posts: 552
    I think the proper thing that is put on the threads is called "anti-seize". I think what happened is your wheels were put on with a air wrench and over torqued. Factory specs for my aluminum wheels is 130 foot pounds. Most air wrenches are usually set for over 200. This is what causes a lot of warped rotors too! I don't let the dealer touch my wheels. I rotate them myself and use a torque wrench to meet specs. I also have the anti seize on the threads. It is not a lubricant and does not affect torque settings.......
  • rayt2rayt2 Member Posts: 1,208
    I do the same thing on all wheel studs and have NO problems ever removing the lug nuts, the service manager was blowing smoke up your butt telling you it's a "safety issue", antiseize has no effect on proper torquing of lugnuts. Overtorquing also stretches the threads on the studs which can also cause them to stop turning after just a few turns when removing. Worse case scenerio is you either strip the threads or snap off the studs. INSIST on torque wrench usage whenever dealer or service company reinstalls a wheel. 200 psi on an air gun is going to give more torque then needed and will do damage to rotors as well as studs as stated by Iowabigguy.

I had this happen on a Subaru when new tires were installed at Mavis Tire, they overtorqued and I could not remove nuts when I went to do disc pads a month later, they had to replace 5 studs on 2 different wheels because of overtorquing and stretching the threads.

Ray T.
  • catamcatam Member Posts: 331
    On several different vehicles after having new tires put on, I have ended up breaking the studs after the nut locked up after a few turns. This can be a real PITA on 4x4s if you have to pull the hub in order to get new wheel studs in place.
  • obriendmobriendm Member Posts: 7
    I was checking the oil today in my 1997 GMC Sierra 4x4 (126,000 mi with the 5.7L) when I noticed there was almost no coolant in the reservior. Sure enough, underneath the truck there was some orange coolant fluid. Does anyone know if the intake manifold gasket problem that has been reported with the 3.1/3.4L V6's also affects the 5.7L V8?
  • gmhellmangmhellman Member Posts: 121
    I have checked the TSBs that I could find and none of them stated that there were any coolant leaks listed in a TSB for the 5.7L. I would beleive that due to the mileage and the age of the engine that the hoses or seals might be cracked/leaking. I hope that the fix is cheap and easy for you.
  • gearhedgearhed Member Posts: 26
    14 city, 18 highway

2003 Ext cab, 1/2 ton, 4wd,
    4.8 vortec, auto trans,
    3.73 rear, autotrac
  • hunter33hunter33 Member Posts: 6
    I have 2003 Silverado Z71 4x4 5.3 extended cab.could someone tell me if this is normal or not every time you take off from a stop with med. acceleration you here a clunk and when it shifts from 2nd to 3rd it will clunk it's not the Ujoints its like to much backlash in the gears I took it to the dealership there saying its normal. I have read some post on clunking and there saying its in the Transmission my noise is in the rear end?
    Do you feel a small clunk when you stop?

Then a second clunk when you take off?

If so the problem is binding at the point where the drive shaft goes into the tranny. Removing the drive shaft and using a special spline lubricant on this point solves the problem.
  • pathy58pathy58 Member Posts: 15
    I had this happen a long time ago and it was a spider gear in the rear end. It was only cracked and then split. That's when dealer admitted it was a spider gear.
  • ohneedshelpohneedshelp Member Posts: 13
    2001 extended cab
    No warrenty left !
    Power mirrors,locks window,
    Problem Window will not work I can hear the motor, but window does not go down.
    Is this something easy to fix, or should I get it to the dealer ?
  • mitzijmitzij Member Posts: 613
    Could be a busted window regulator, have to open up the door panel to find out. Might also have bent tracks. I think the window regulator is sold only with the motor, so it'll cost you a couple of hundred in parts. The tracks are cheaper, maybe $25. I'd recommend a good mechanic using GM parts.
  • stansharpstansharp Member Posts: 2
    I recently purchased an 02 Silverado 1500HD 6.0 litre and love it. The truck has a full cap on it and I would like to be able to lock it up tight.I carry a lot of equipment and tools in it for my job.
    The existing lock is on the cap only and seens to be pretty badly corroded and it is not very secure.
    If anyone knows of a solid fix to this problem please let me know.
    Are you looking for a lock for your cover, or for your tailgate?
  • ohneedshelpohneedshelp Member Posts: 13
    Well it is a busted window regulator !!!!!
    $220.00 in parts + labor =
    $518.00 Plus TAX am I getting screwed ?? or is this the price of owning a chevy ???
  • mitzijmitzij Member Posts: 613
    parts price looks about right, I think labor would be, at most, 2.0 hours. A faster tech could probably do it in less time.
  • noobie1noobie1 Member Posts: 326
    For that kind of money I could get the parts, the full five volume Service Manual, a set of tools and do it myself. But then, I'm the adventurous sort.

stansharp: I'm wondering the same as bigfur.
     You used to be able to get a power tailgate lock at R&D Truck & Auto Accessories, http://www.truckautoaccessories.com
    but apparently not anymore.

-David
  • sebring95sebring95 Member Posts: 3,241
    That labor is pushing 4 hours even at $75/hour. Does GM mechanics get those numbers or are they charging you even more hours?? Yikes!

I've changed the power regulator in a Toyota Camry once, took about an hour. I bought the part from a salvage yard for $100 because they wanted $225 for the OEM unit. Somethings fishy on those labor charges!
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    A newspaper reporter aims to interview people who are dealing with vehicle recalls, especially of GM products, such as the recent problems with the back gate on the pickups. Please send your daytime contact info to farataye@yahoo.com or jfallon@edmunds.com by Wednesday, April 7, 2004. Thanks, Jeannine Fallon PR Director Edmunds.com

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• balichbalich Member Posts: 62
    I called the dealer where I purchased my '03
    Silverado and I wanted to get my tailgate latch
    replaced .. the dealer says they will not
    perform fix unless it's a official recall of GM ..
    I thought it was - I saw it on the news and on
    Yahoo under GM .. The dealer says its not official ??

Makes no sense .. can someone offer a explaination ?

Has anybody got theirs replace(tailgate latches) ?
  • gator36gator36 Member Posts: 294
    The recall is official for some at this point in time. This is going to be a staged recall due to parts limitations. GM doesn't have enough tailgate (not latches) support cables to allow everyone that heard of the recall to run into the dealerships.
  • rayt2rayt2 Member Posts: 1,208
    Yup, I replaced both after they broke on me last year. Left an impression in tailgate when it fell "like a rock" onto bumper, I was some pissed off. Don't suppose GM will cover that though !
    GM = General Malfunction !

Ray T.
  • ryanbabryanbab Member Posts: 7,240
    The latch isnt recalled the cables are

I wish this came about sooner. I broke 2 cables (they happened at different times) luckily it didnt damage my truck. It did cost about $30 to replace them
  • retiredmikeretiredmike Member Posts: 1
    I recently purchased used 2001 Silverado, 4x4, extended cab, 47k miles, a really nice truck. Was having some maintenance done on emg brakes, found a broken stud on each rear wheel. Somewhat alarming! Has anyone else encountered broken lugs?
    Thanks
    RetiredMike
  • txyank1txyank1 Member Posts: 1,010
    it's not too unusual for folks to snap one off themselves when it's been put on with an air gun. Maybe that's what happened and they never fixed it.
  • wnicholswnichols Member Posts: 42
    Had both of my tailgate support cables replaced under warranty.
  • hogboyhogboy Member Posts: 84
    My tail gate cables are still OK on my '00 Silverado. I called the dealer yesterday to schedule normal oil change, throttle body clean etc. Asked about the cable recall. Service manager told me they don't expect to get the cables in sufficient stock until August and if anyone broke cables prior to the recall, paid for new ones and still had their receipt then GM would cover it.
This discussion has been closed.