Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Jeep Wrangler

Comments

• barnz_69barnz_69 Member Posts: 75
    I'm not sure about the Flip Top, but Bestop is a great soft top; in fact, I believe the bestop tops are OEM on new Jeeps, though I may be mistaken.

In any case, I can assure you that the Bestop brand is top of the line.

Try looking at quadratec.com for models and prices.

Ryan
  • keatskeats Member Posts: 412
    Yep, the OEM tops are made by Bestop--to Jeep's specifications. I would recommend the OEM top, even though it is more expensive, but you certainly will not go wrong with a Bestop. Iknow the OEM tops are several hundred dollars more, but I do think the fit is better on them. My factory top certainly fits better than my buddies Bestop.
  • mac24mac24 Member Posts: 3,910
    We're going to do it - I've arranged to pick up a Fit tomorrow afternoon (silver, Sport, auto because they couldn't find a manual).............

Good grief, you move fast! Wasn't it worth waiting until you could locate a manual, if that was what you really wanted? Did you ask what they'd allow on your '98?
  • yjohnyjohn Member Posts: 32
    I know I already posted a rust question, but I have another that I am really considering different options. My '92 YJ has frame ROT. The front corner by the steering box and both back corners by the shackles. My dad has a mechanic friend who thinks that he can weld in patches on the back, and I bought a repair panel for the front on ebay. My other option, of course, is finding a good used frame, but then I would have to go through the whole change over process. Keeping in mind that I am a high-school student on a limited budget, what would be the better choice in the long run? I just got my first car (the Jeep) last fall and want to bring it back to its safe, former glory. Thanks for any help.
  • durability05durability05 Member Posts: 142
    Drewmeister you are right, us Wrangler owners like the Honda Fit too, I checked it out this weekend, the trunk space behind the back seat is cavernous (22 cu. ft.) The Magic Seat was amazing it even folds up like a jump seat too. I think we like the Fit because it is practical and is engineered right, like a Wrangler. Also I did own a 1991 GTI a decade ago. We only drive a combined 20,000 miles / year on the 04 Wrangler, 04 Pilot and 06 Mustang Vert, so no need for an economy car.
  • mtngalmtngal Member Posts: 1,911
    I thought about waiting, but decided to go with the auto for a couple of reasons. First, the gas mileage is only 1 mpg different, I can live with that. Second, my back will thank me in the long run, though it wouldn't mind a manual again. Third, we have to go up to Mom's in a week and will need to have a car (rented or owned) that she can get in - we're taking her car in to get the AC fan and security alarm fixed.

I didn't ask about what they will allow for the '98 Wrangler Sport (probably should have, though I don't think it would be worth it). I would guess/hope that I'll get a bit more by selling it privately. The only thing I'm worried about is that someone (probably a kid) spilled some white paint on the hood (oil base I guess - it doesn't wash off). I'm sure that will hurt somewhat but I wouldn't think it would make enough difference to pay for a body shop to sand it down and repaint it. After all, it's an 8 year old vehicle with 130,000 miles on it. The carpet is a bit rough (not surprising) so I know I won't get top dollar anyway. I'll be happy if I get something around $4500 for it (figure that the good mechanical condition will mean more to someone than the cosmetics, as long as it is cleaner than it is now - it hasn't been used much the last 6 months.
  • durability05durability05 Member Posts: 142
    Mtngal , excellent choice for your new commuter car. I checked it out last weekend, amazing utility, Honda has an economy car that is amazingly interesting, and the fit and finish is even better than our Honda Pilot. I am pretty sure that your Fit Sport Auto will get you more than double your Unlimited Auto in MPG. It is time to preserve your 2 door unlimited, it is a classic that I think would have been in production for only 2 1/2 years.
    Me I intend to drive my TJ for another decade.
  • goducks1goducks1 Member Posts: 432
    I sure hope you can get more than $4500 for it. I'd think closer to $6500. Last time I looked at the value of my '98 Sport it was around $8500 though I have only 80K miles.
  • erickplerickpl Member Posts: 2,735
    What many do is go to eBay to get the soft top hardware (the bows, mounts, brackets, etc, then get a Sailcloth Replace-a-top. When I got my 97, I had a soft top only, but the top was pretty much shot. Got a R-A-T and have loved it since.

I don't know much about the aftermarket mounting hardware for soft tops, and eBay seems a logical choice to find it.

I did buy a factory soft top with hardware from a gal I know who sold her Jeep and had forgotten about it for 250. :) So I have an extra for when I mess up my current one. :)

-Paul
    Check out Craigslist in your area too. Buddy of mine got a used factory top for $100 on it.
  • nolid5nolid5 Member Posts: 148
    I guess you can officially say "The Fit is Go" What's with that slogan? :confuse: I remember it, so it must work. Honda is certainly spending the $$ to market it.
  • zeistzeist Member Posts: 8
    Thanks everyone for their input.
  • offroadmaniac1offroadmaniac1 Member Posts: 3
    Does anybody know how to remove the factory stereo from a 2000 jeep wrangler?? any input helps. thanks
    see post 21400
    Does anybody know how to remove the factory stereo from a 2000 jeep wrangler?? any input helps. thanks

Apparently, as this is the third time of asking and getting a reply, any input doesn't help at all! :surprise:
  • believebelieve Member Posts: 74
    Hi all....it's been a while since I've visited this site. I just saw Mtngal's post and wanted to say that you can't go wrong with a Honda. I've had them since 1977. My wife has an Element right now............me,,,
    I am still looking for a wrangler..
    I also wanted to add that 4500 for your wrangler is not asking enough......I would detail it and bump it a couple thousand....remember... you can always come down...kinda tough going up on price!...If I were closer Id be right over .........take care and enjoy saving some cash on gas ;) ............Lew
    I found a 2001 sport with 80000 miles on it....I have a 2003 4x2 ranger shortbed with air and just the basic stuff but has only 15000 miles on it.....if you were in my shoes....what would be a fair deal?...I really miss my old wrangler!!!!
    Lew
  • tsjaytsjay Member Posts: 4,591
    she's gonna have a Fit! :)

Tomster
    ROTFL! You are SO right! I've gotten Fit now. Picked it up Thursday and got to drive it home last night. It'll make a good daily driver/long distance commuter car for us, and I've been having so much fun thinking of puns with the name. So far I'm really happy with it (next stop, install a Roady XT, gotta have my XM).

You guys are so right - I got looking at prices of '98 Wranglers around here advertised on the Recycler (it's not your throw-away little sheet delivered to your mailbox, but a place to advertise for free and works really well - I sold both the Nissan Hardbody and the Toyota Tacoma through it) and there were no Sports advertised for less than $5,000. It looked like cream-puff Sports go for around $8,000. Since mine isn't cosmetically cream puff, think I'll price it lower than that but higher than $5,000. I'll probably not do anything about it for a couple of weeks - this weekend is going to be spent playing with the Fit and next weekend we're going to Vegas. After that I'll have a chance to take my Noble Black Steed for a bath and get the interior detailed.
    I usually answer questions (or make facetious comments), so just for a change.............how comfortable are you in the right hand seat, both physically and psychologically?

Personally, it's the former that causes me a problem. I like to drive, and on a long trip I'll do so until I begin to feel tired. It has nothing to do with my wife's driving (which is excellent), I just enjoy driving. When we switch places though, I can't get comfortable in the passenger seat at all. It just feels wrong, everything from being at a slightly different angle, to having the seat belt fit in the opposite direction. It's not just a 'being in control thing' either, as it feels just as bad when I sit on that side to clean the windshield.

So does it bother you at all, and if so is the seat, the concept of being a passenger in your own vehicle, or both?

Just curious. :shades:
    For some interesting trivia that applies to your question - there's a vanpool program through my company and one of the things they consider is the disadvantages of having people sit in the same seats all the time. Seats will wear differently for each person, and from your post, I get the impression that your wife spends far more time in the right seat than you do. It probably doesn't fit you very well.

My husband and I carpool to work (he drives in and I drive home), so I spend as much time riding as I do driving. I'm perfectly comfortable being a passenger and don't notice any difference.
  • Hi mtngal - Saw your new Fit on CarSpace and it really looks fit! Sharp looking and your photos do great job of giving us a good feel of the interior. Thanks for sharing and happy driving your new toy...I mean car (aren't they really grown-up toys?) :)
  • jeff62301jeff62301 Member Posts: 310
    I love tossing the keys to a friend and have them drive once in a while, even offered to let a friends 16 year old daughter drive,,but she opted to wait until we were out sometime during daylight.

when i was test driving (test riding), i told the salesperson I wanted him to go along on the test drive so i could ride in the passenger seat and back seat, he thought i was nuts, apparently no one had ever done that before.

jeff

it was sunny when i went to the mall today , and raining when i left ( no top ) wasn't bad until i had to stop at stop lights.
  • gman1259gman1259 Member Posts: 209
    How did the Fit do going up the Grapevine?
    The Fit does quite well on the Grapevine - we did both sides this weekend (Bakersfield Saturday and Santa Clarita Sunday). It's got a 5 speed Auto in it (very nice!) and does downshift to 3rd for the steepest parts - rpms around 5000 so it is noisier than at other times. However, it is still quieter than the soft top Unlimited! It can maintain 70 mph with the cruise control set, and this morning we computed the gas mileage at 39 (all highway driving, going up and down the Grapevine). Looks like it will be somewhat sensitive to speed, just like the Wranglers. The first tank (to and from work Friday, driving 70) came out to 30 mpg, where we slowed down to 65 over the weekend. We're going to keep it around 65 for this tank and see if the difference is the slow-n-go traffic or the speed. With the Wrangler the slow-n-go doesn't bother it's mileage figures much, where speed will make a huge difference (as will stop and go).
  • jeff62301jeff62301 Member Posts: 310
    does anyone besides besttop make soft doors? I know best top makes good stuff,, i just can't bear to part with $375 for something that won't be on the jeep that often.

jts
    Nope. Rock Gear did for awhile but they closed down apparently. A used pair of Bestop doors on Ebay can be had for $200 or so.
  • highdeserthighdesert Member Posts: 12
    I bought some "anti-fatigue mat" at Lowe's for $4 per linear foot (36 inches wide) for use as a cargo liner for the Unlimited. It's about 1/4 inch thick and is a decent match for the dark khaki carpet. I'm happy with it so I thought I'd share! Twelve bucks total...call me cheap. :blush:

Dennis
  • Hi Dennis - Very innovative idea and budget conscious to boot. Thanks for sharing your idea.
  • wpowellwpowell Member Posts: 125
    So, after conquering every speed bump, curb and handicap ramp at the local mall I was ready for something new. I broke out the globe, gave it a spin and landed here:

">

Actually, I "had" to attend a work function in Maui and we rented a Jeep while we were there. When the rental car folks said "Jeep" I assumed they meant a Liberty with boat trailer tires, but I was wrong; we got a (drum roll, please):

I have to say I felt right at home in the Unlimited Rubi, but the scenery was a little different than what I am used to. What an awesome place to roam around in a Jeep. I highly recommend it if you are ever in the neighborhood! Here's one more for the road:

A rubi rental!? Now that's a great idea! Maybe I'll go to Hawaii so I could test one out. Eventually I'll need to replace the Unlimited I have, and why not with a Rubi? And why not do a LONG test drive, just to make sure it would work out. Wouldn't that be a good excuse to visit Hawaii? I might even be able to afford it with all the money I'm saving on gas having the Fit as my daily driver...
    Nice! Tough Job :shades:
    Bet the front driveshaft was removed. :)

My Wrangler on my Maui trip had the front DS gone, to prevent that spur of the moment offroading that some may try to do.

But we only had an X. :( Rubi's were just starting to come out on the market.

Did ya check out Iao State Park? :)

-Paul
  • pinhead1pinhead1 Member Posts: 3
    Can anyone tell me good or bad about their experience with the Sunrider soft top? Thanks,
    The sunrider top is easy to put back and fun (remember sunscreen). My owners manual doesn't mention it, but I understand later ones tell you not to have the sunrider open without removing the back window if you are going to be driving at highway speeds. I tried it and it creates a strong suction on the side windows that will pull them in against the supports and perhaps stretch them. Otherwise, it's a quick alternative to putting the top all the way down.
    Paul,

The front DS was there, but it may not be for the next guy :P I kinda got it into the lava field and did a little, uh, rock crawling. Not my fault; they basically taunted me by giving me a Rubicon as a RENTAL! Is lao State Park the giant lava field in South Maui? If so, yes, I saw a little more of it than I should have :blush:
    Anyone heard from the team captain??
    I absolutely agree with mtngal. I pop open my sunrider probably 5 times for every time I actually put the top down. Takes 60 seconds and you can just "flop" it closed if you are out of the Jeep for a little while.
    Tom's still here, he just doesn't post as much these days, though his last post was only a few days ago......Tom's last post.
    and has not been at a puter much.

As for Iao state park, it is kinda in the middle of the island. As you come south from the airport towards the Four Seasons hotel, there is a road in town that you can take to the west. You go past a mall, then the road basically runs right into the park. So the stuff in south Maui is NOT it. Here is a pic from Iao...

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

The south side of the island didn't do much for me, except as a jumping off point to get to Molokini Crater for some nice snorkeling and scuba.

Try the Hana Highway. Beautiful drive and awesome with the top down. It is so twisty, I think of it as a Jeep trail that happens to have asphalt.

-Paul
  • pinhead1pinhead1 Member Posts: 3
    Thanks for the info! I just got my dream car 2 months ago 2006 Wrangler X - Solar Yellow and will now look to buy the soft top. So with the Sunrider it is best to keep back window open, does it flop much when open on highways?
    Hi everyone,
    I finally found my Jeep!!....I've been missing my 91 for years now. Saturday I pickup my 2002 Sport {"yellow"). It has both soft and hard top and only 30000 miles. I'm finally getting rid of the ford ranger.....it really hasn't been a bad vehicle....easy on gas.....but the fun factor is totally missing!!!.....anyway....just excited here!....later
    Lew
    Way to go! Sounds like a nice find, I like the yellow (bright colors work with Wranglers). Now the fun will start! Post pictures as soon as you can - we love looking at them!
    Mark:

Thanks for asking about me. I also got an email from old Tex (Texasjeep) asking about me. It's nice to know that I have been missed around here.

I still check in almost every day, but I just haven't had much to say. I just don't seem to have much enthusiasm for anything any more.

I'm still trying to pick up the pieces and get on with my life after losing my best friend and soul mate, Ross Allen. That has hit me harder than anything that I have ever been through in my entire life. I have Hank now, and I am developing some pretty stong feelings for him, but no matter how much I end up loving Hank, I know that I will never forget my Rossie Pup. I still think of him and cry at least once during the day almost every single day, even though it has been seven and a half months since I said goodbye to him.

For the newer folks around here, please take a look at the website that I made for my Puppy. Well, even for you old timers, you might want to go back and take another look, since I have probably added some stuff, if you have not been there for a couple months or more.

http://home.earthlink.net/~tsjay53/

Everyone who was a member of this forum at the time was very supportive back in September, during the early days after I had to have my Ross Allen put to sleep. Thanks to all of you.

Tom
    Have you hugged your Jeep today?

• tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    but I just haven't had much to say

There's a whole new generation of Jeepsters (and potential Jeepsters) out there who desperately need education - and you're the man best suited to provide it! Now, get with the program! :)

tidester, host
    I realize how my last post must sound to most people; they will think I am mentally impaired for caring so much about "just a dog." That's OK, I accept that only a very few people can understand what I am going through, because only a very few people ever love a dog like I loved (and still love) my Rossie Pup.

That picture I included in my previous post says it all... Thelma Jane (my Jeep for the benefit of you new folks), Ross Allen, and "Grandpa." Almost EVERY Saturday, my Puppy and I would go wheelin' at Turkey Bay. I took that picture by holding my digi camera in front of me while Ross Allen and I were driving home from Turkey Bay.

I wrote this "open letter" to Ross Allen a few weeks ago.

"While other family members were too wrapped up in their own activities to give me more than a cursory acknowledgement that I was home, you had been waiting for me all day, and you gave me a hero’s welcome as I walked through the door after work. My arrival was the high point of your day.

Often when I talk to humans, they only halfway listen, having their minds on something else, but you always had time to listen to my problems, and you always gave me your complete, undivided attention as I spoke to you.

People are sometimes in a bad mood and are best left alone, but you were never in a bad mood; it was never a “bad time” to talk to you. You were always there for me.

No matter what sacrifices I make for other family members, it often goes unnoticed or unappreciated, but the least little pat on the head, or a “good dog,” or an “I love you” would thrill you. And, if I took time to play with you, it was almost too much excitement for you to handle.

Humans are always expecting something, making demands, but you asked for so little; you only asked for my love and a tiny bit of attention once in a while. You brought joy and a deep peace to my life every day, and you repaid me for the simple little things that I had to do for you, like feeding you and taking you outside, a million times over.

People have their own lives to live and their own business to tend to; they have places to go, people to talk to, things to get done, and no matter how much they love me, they can only give me part of their time. But, I was the center of your life. You had no life apart from me. I was your life.

Is there any wonder that I loved you so much? Is there any wonder why it hurt me so badly to say goodbye to you on that awful day, September 19, 2005? Is there any wonder why I still cry for you almost every day, even now, almost six months after you had to leave me? Is there any wonder that I will love you forever and will not be whole again until we are reunited? Rossie Pup, Grandpa loves you, and Grandpa misses you."

Well, since Ross Allen was a Jeep dog, and since I mention wheelin', I guess this post is not really off topic, is it?

Tom
    sound crazy?.....I don't think so Tom. I do think you would sound crazy if you didn't feel the way you do. It's been quite some time since my Lab "Holly" went home. I still think of her quite often...and it's been 13 years ago...we do have two other girls right now and they are also up in years...
    I think ...
    The world needs more people such as yourself. And we need you back here on this site....

I will be picking my jeep up hopefully this Sat....my two dogs will also be "Jeep Dogs" when that happens (the only reason I mention that is to stay on topic :) .
    talk later....Lew
    Have you visited my Puppy's website?

http://home.earthlink.net/~tsjay53/

There is a Jeep Jambo going on at Turkey Bay right now. They sign in tonight, I believe, and then wheel tomorrow and Saturday.

They don't close Turkey Bay for the Jambo, so anyone can still go wheelin', but I think I'll sit this weekend out. I have been there before on Jambo weekend, but not as a participant in the Jambo. Turkey Bay is big enough so that it isn't a problem for non-attendees to wheel while the Jambo is going on.

One of my regular wheelin' buddies is a trail guide for the Jambo at Turkey bay and for the one at Williamsburg, Ky, the "Gateway to the Cumberlands Jamboree." I might try to go to the one in Williamsburg sometime.

Tom

P.S. Congratulations on the Jeep purchase! I want to hear all about your initial impressions.
    my 2002 sport will need new tires....I will not be doing any off roading and I do want it to look good. any suggestions?
    tks...Lew
    one more thing..what is the biggest tire that it will take without any problems?
    Lew:

A stock Jeep will take tires up to 31" in diameter. You don't want to go any wider than 10.50" on factory wheels. They have too much backspacing for more than a 10.50" tire.

The 31 x 10.50 tires look real good on stock Jeeps.

I would recommend BFG All Terrains in the 31 x 10.50 size. Those things are nice looking and wear REALLY well. I had a set on Thelma Jane until I decided I needed mud tires for all the wheelin' I was doing.

Tom

P.S.

You sound like a perfect candidate for a budget boost. Rubicon Express has a pretty nice little kit for just over $200. You get two inches of lift out of them. I think I would still stay with 31" tires, but theoretically, you could go with 33's.

A stock Jeep with 31's or one with a budget boost and 33's will not have much room for wheel travel during flex before the tires rub on the flares. This shouldn't be a problem unless you disconnect the front sway bar, and since you say you won't be wheelin' your Jeep, that may not come into play in your case. If you go the budget boost route and stay with 31" tires, you will have a little more room for flexing, if you ever do disconnect.