Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chevy Silverado/GMC Sierra - Owners hangout

Comments

• jerrywimerjerrywimer Member Posts: 588
    2500 - heavier vehicle than the 1500. This explains the lower mileage compared to similar drivetrains in 1500s. Still not too bad though.
  • white6white6 Member Posts: 588
    What specific problems have you had with your 04 Silverado? I have about 9,000 miles on mine and haven't had a problem yet (knock on wood).
  • white6white6 Member Posts: 588
    Well, I couldn't stand it anymore; had to make some "improvements." Purchased a set of "take-off" 17-inch wheels and tires for $625 (plus tax) and installed. I was suprised at how great the truck reacted to the larger rolling stock. I was expecting the worst; dead throttle response from the extra size and weight, choppy ride, etc. The ride is actually smoother and, since I installed the Diablo Sport Predator at the same time, performance has actually improved just a bit. Mileage, so far, doesn't seem to be affected either. FWIW, they are the factory 17-inch five spoke wheels with Bridgestone Dueler A/T tires. Now looking into picking up a SS grille to replace the chrome mustache. Best price I've found it about $250 plus shipping. Anyone else know of anyplace I might find a better price? I'm kind of surprised that there isn't an aftermarket equivalent at this point.
  • psgpsg Member Posts: 72
    Are probably more numerous then I can remember, but here we go:

Radio stopped working and required reprogramming
    A/C fan motor came loose and required replacing
    Transmission reprogramming due to poor shifting
    Intermediate Steering Shaft replacement
    Replaced back right window due to air leak
    The tailgate cable recall
    Transfer case self destructed

I'm probably forgetting something, but I need to get back to work. What really gets to me is most of the problems I have had are known issues. "Yep, we got a service bulletin on that one." If I had waited to do something about any of the problems, I would have had to pay out of pocket for the repair.

Please post any other issues you may have experienced with your Silverado. I don't want to start a grip session, but my warranty is almost out. I had planned to keep this truck, but I may be better off selling it and buying a Tundra. (My neighbor and his cousin both have Toyota trucks and only need to do maintenance). Yesterday’s, WSJ quoted the CEO at Toyota as saying Toyota may increase US prices to help take the pressure off of GM and Ford. I suspect the resale on our trucks sucks. I miss my ’96 K-1500, it had some problems, but nothing like this. I’m having 1970s American car deja vu. I'd post my experiences with our 2000 Pontiac Montana, but this is not the place. It is probably pointless to mention it, but I’m going to anyway, my wife now drives a Honda Odyssey. My father-in-law is a retired GM employee and he now drives a Lincoln. I’m just shaking my head in disbelief.
  • picklesorviepicklesorvie Member Posts: 28
    1. At low rpm, either idling or moving 30-35 miles per hour, the a/c compressor
    clunks loudly when it engages. There is not a fix for this problem at this time. 2. Steering gear replaced because of chatter in steering at low rpm. 3. Insulators on left-front spring replaced in effort to try to get rid of front-end noise. 4. Dampner
    installed on exhaust pipe to reduce harmonic imbalance at about 62mph.
    5. Vinyl moldings on both sides replaced because of bubbling on each piece
    (caused by bar code left on the vinyl molding when they were installed).
    6. Steering on highway was terrible until recently when front-end mechanic finally calculated specs that set the system straight. 7. Intermediate steering shaft
    replaced. 2004 Silverado, approximately 9,000 miles.
    I forgot about the front-end noise. I was able to get that fixed. I'd have to look back at the invoice to see what was done, but I recall it had to do with changing the torque on something.

The dealer just called and my truck is ready. The clutches in the transfer case have been replaced as well as the externally mounted servomotor.

Wish me luck!

Phil
  • sebring95sebring95 Member Posts: 3,241
    My '03 has been rather problematic as well. I'm at 15k miles now and trips to the dealer for repair/warranty are six. This truck also feels rather lose and clunky and the brakes are horrendous. I have '01 and '03 Dodges, both used for pulling non-stop and they're much more solid at much higher miles (170k miles and 70k miles). I like the engines/gas mileage and Autotrac on the Chevys, but the rest needs work. Just traded my '02 Tahoe as well, it was actually quite reliable (3 repairs in 40k miles) but just a very dated vehicle. Engine and fuel mileage was top-notch though for such a big vehicle. Maybe the next round will be drastically improved....due out around the first of the year. My lease is up on the Silvy in May '06 so I'll be very ready for something new by then.
  • terry_newmanterry_newman Member Posts: 1
    I just signed up and have been reading for the last 2 hours.

I have to say there is a ton of info but getting around in here sure is tough.

I have been hanging out at another forum board.
    www.chevytalk.com

It's much easier to navigate for sure. You guys should check it out.

I'm looking for info on piston slap
  • con3975con3975 Member Posts: 5
    I have the same problem with my 01 silverado z71. I have had several professional opinions, most of which advise on getting a new fuel pump. This "problem" doesn't affect the driving of my vehicle, however we can both agree on how annoying it is.
  • country00country00 Member Posts: 5
    Need some help... I am getting ready to buy some new tires for my 01 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab 2WD. Right now I have 235/75R16 (stock size). I would like to increase the height and width a little to get rid of some of the empty wheel well look and add a little meatier look. One place told me I could put on 265/70R16 and others have told me the only alternate for this truck is the 255/70R16.
    Thanks
  • texsuntexsun Member Posts: 23
    I had been running 265/75/16s on a 99 GMC Sierra on the stock rims with no problems. My daughter now owns the truck (116,000 miles) and just put Liberator 265/75/16s on and loves them. I just went with Liberator 285/75/16s on stock rims on my 02 GMC 1500HD (71,500 miles) and am happy so far. :shades:
  • country00country00 Member Posts: 5
    Thanks for the reply. Is your 99 2WD? I was getting tired of all the tire places telling me that the only replacement for this truck was the 255/70/16, I finally just put those on yesterday. I ended up with BFG Long Trail T/As. So far they seem to ride pretty good. I still agree with you that I should have just went with the larger tire. I don't care for all the wheel well look. I guess next time.
    Thanks again for the reply.
  • tiger10tiger10 Member Posts: 46
    when it comes to overall performance which is a better buy, Sierra or Silverado?
  • hdlovehdlove Member Posts: 5
    be careful- I had a 2001 1500 ext. cab long bed 2wd that had the fuel sending unit go south. I could have a full tank fresh from QT, and turn out of the parking lot and the darn thing would flip to Empty. Tap on the brakes again and it comes back. I also noted on my 2001, and the 2003 that I recently traded for a 2005 3/4 ton, that the guage reads off on the first half- If I had a 3/4 tank, I could still put about 20 gallons in. I would achieve about 100 miles or so by a 3/4 tank, so that would mean that I only used about 9 gallons. I never worried about it, and my new 3/4 ton seems to read right on. I'm loving it as of now, and I am even getting better gas mileage out of the 6 liter V8 than my 5.3! I never got above 12.5 mpg whether I was going 80 or 45. It really irked me. At least in the HD I can justify the crappy mileage for the towing and handling of the truck. Very pleased. GM told me that the sending unit was one piece- around $800, so I just traded the truck for the '03 and put the money into the new one.
    GMC is the Caddy of trucks, and I have found that they are priced slightly higher for the same basic truck. If you use the truck for work, I strongly recommend a 3/4 ton for your next purchase. With the rebates lately, I got $4500 off and was able to buy it cheaper than a comparable 1/2 ton truck. A friend thinks that the GMC's are put together better, but I have seen same POA's on them off the sticker.
    I HIGHLY recommend the Bridgestone Dueler AT 265 75/R16. I have had two pairs of them, and both have netted 50K or better. I bouth them at Firestone, and purchased the lifetime balance/rotate and had it done around every 7000 miles. Now I had the LT version, Load C. DONT BUY THE P-METRICS IF YOU TOW. You will be very unhappy. I had a set of Kelly Springfields that kept blowing sidewalls. Problem- Passenger/metric tire. weak sidewall and load rating. Solution- Dueler AT. They are a great tire. Most recently I put firestone Destinations on it b/c I was trading soon. They did fine as well, but I did get the LT and load C. Now I have a 2005 3/4 ton, and it has Bridgestone something arothers, load E. Time will tell of their durability. I never noticed a huge change in mileage or accuracy of the speedo. The larger tires really do beef up the look.
    I have gone through 3 radios on my 03. CD player related.
    rattle/squeak from under dash, never able to fix. Drove me nuts.
    driver speaker went out.
    blower fan was starting to make noise
    steering shaft issue
    transmission hesitated a bit off dead stop
    front shocks at 38K- Chevy did replace them after I would not go away.
    Breaks have been WONDERFUL. No complaints there.
    passenger side of AC control display- where the blue and red are displayed, went out. Only way to fix is to replace entire control, $245 plus labor.
    tailgate cables, replaced them with old style, never followed up on new stainless ones.
    various rattles and squeaks.

I don't think this 2003 was built as well as my 2001. I have had more sample defects and things that just annoy you than on the 01. I do manage, however, to put 25K or so on per year, so I tend to wear them out pretty quick. the 03 was two years old and riding like a 10 year old truck. I just traded it on April 30th for a 2005 3/4ton HD with the 6 liter V8, and I seem to be getting better mileage already. I don't understand it, but I guess this engine works less for the same buck. I have been happy overall with them, and I tow quite a bit- heavy job trailers, bobcats, cargo trailers, lumber, etc, and the foreign trucks just can't compete with tow power and stability for heavy loads. I would, however, buy the Nissan Titan in a New York Minute if they made a 8' bed.
    I just bought a 2005 3/4 ton extended cab and want to put in my aftermarket radio and speakers. I have never been impressed with GM sound systems. They suck. Moving on, I had a 01 that was really easy to get into, but this one has two screw covers about waist high at both edges of the panel, and I was wondering before I got into it if there were other changes. As far as I can remember there are screws under the open pull handle/armrest and behind the trim panel wher the inside door lever is. Do you still lift up? I just don't want to break anything. Also- does anyone know where and what size of Torx socket to get for the seat nuts? They used Torx on the damn things and standard SAE on the rear seats! Why they change things. I know it is bigger than a 16 MM, and it is the FEMALE version of a Torx socket that I need. I have tried Sears, Home Depot, Lowes, and the tool liquidators in the area
  • txyank1txyank1 Member Posts: 1,010
    I've been driving GM pickups (mostly Chevy's) since around 1987. I bought new Sierras in '99 and '01. While the Base price is slightly higher because more is standard, it appeared as though if equipped exactly the same (hard to do) very little difference in price. I haven't paid much attention since '03 as GMC doesn't make a version of the Avalanche. :( Most GMC Dealers will match A Chevy Dealers deal. It pretty much comes down to personal preference. Which grille do you like better? Myself I wanted the GMC color-matched trim, and the slim chrome side moldings that I thought looked better.
  • baredoggbaredogg Member Posts: 32
    They are the same parts just depends wether you want a BIG BASS MOUTH or something SLICKER they come down the ling and same parts save grill fenders and hoods so pick your look cause they are the same.
    Resale is usually slightly better on Chevy then GMC. Same product, fickle market place.
  • obyoneobyone Member Posts: 7,841
    Sierra/Silverado? The list includes the part name, GM part number, picture, cost and time it takes to R/R the part. If anyone does, email me and I'll send it to you. Being that I have no use for it now.
  • noobie1noobie1 Member Posts: 326
    oby; I sent you an e-mail on that but have no record of it in my "sent" folder, so can't verify that it was indeed sent. Will you please verify receipt. Thanks.

-David
  • z71billz71bill Member Posts: 1,986
    I had the "lube thing" done to the steering shaft of my 2001 Tahoe about 2 years ago under warranty. The truck is now out of warranty - and is starting to rattle again (just a little mostly on left turns)

I have read that GM is no longer doing the lube thing but has a better fix -

Anyone know anything about this - any chance GM will cover this cost since I am out of warranty?

I put a set of Liberator tires on my truck - sold by Wal-mart - manufactured by Michelin (I called Michelin to verify this)

I got the 285 75 16 size - $461.00 drive out including new stems, balance & warranty (8.25% sales tax included) I have 15K on them and they still look new.

I would give these tires an A + for value and performance - the BFG I almost bought would have cost almost $800.

The 285 75 16 size will fit - on stock wheels and will not rub on 2WD & 4x4 Silverado and Tahoes.
  • noobie1noobie1 Member Posts: 326
    Bill; This is the latest TSB listed for my '02'.
    Notice the last paragraph. Apparently there is an improved part, but nowhere in the TSB is the number revealed. I have no idea if GM is replacing it in out-of-warranty trucks. Knowing GM, not likely. If you find otherwise please post it here. The TSB has complete instructions on lubrication procedures using the available kit. If you want the full version, let me know and I'll shoot it to you.

-David

Steering - Underhood Clunking Felt in Steering Wheel

Clunking Noise Under Hood and Can Be Felt in the Steering Wheel (Lubricate the Intermediate Steering Shaft Assembly) # 00-02-35-003G - (Oct 22, 2004)

Models:
    2002-2003 Cadillac Escalade, Escalade EXT
    2003 Cadillac Escalade ESV
    1999-2003 Chevrolet Silverado
    2000-2003 Chevrolet Suburban, Tahoe
    2002-2003 Chevrolet Avalanche
    1999-2003 GMC Sierra
    2000-2003 GMC Yukon, Yukon XL

This Service Bulletin DOES NOT include Mid-Size Utilities such as Buick Rainier, Chevrolet TrailBlazer/TrailBlazer EXT, GMC Envoy/Envoy XL/Envoy XUV or Oldsmobile Bravada.

Refer to Service Bulletin 02-02-35-006A for Mid-Size Utilities.

This bulletin is being revised to notify dealers that it is acceptable to service the intermediate shaft with Lubrication Kit P/N 26098419 until sufficient inventory of the replacement intermediate shaft part numbers become available from General Motors Service Parts Operations (GMSPO). Please discard Corporate Bulletin Number 00-02-35-003F (Section 02 -- Steering).

P.S; Here's another tidbit found on the Chevy Silverado: Problems & Solutions thread:

#235 of 251 Re: Steering clunk [davidw1] by mikepersing May 01, 2005 (10:37 pm)
    Bookmark | Reply | E-mail Msg

Your clunk is an intermediate steering shaft problem, (like gm told you), but they didnt tell you there is a fix. Greasing is only temporary and the clunk will come back. I just had mine replaced and so did my brother. there is a new redesigned shaft available to replace the old faulty one. Unfortunately the part is on NATIONAL back order and could take over a month to get. The dealer told me the number of trucks with the bad part is enormous, and the demand for new parts is too. So you might have to wait for your part. So go to your dealer and set him straight this is a known problem to GM and they should know this, mine did. good luck.
    Nope haven't received any email.
  • fishwoodfishwood Member Posts: 1
    Hi. Where can I find on-line parts diagrams with Chevy parts numbers - including body parts: 2000 & 2002 Silverados? THANKS.
  • ryanbabryanbab Member Posts: 7,240
    what in particular are you looking for?

I have it printed out and can get some #s for you if needed.
  • rayt2rayt2 Member Posts: 1,208
    Z Bill,

Same here,had the shaft done in warranty and now out of warranty clunk starting to reappear. I'll see what local dealer service mgr. says about the "lube kit" or if they will go for the 2nd replacement shaft. Just made last payment on truck in April, go figure it's time for things to start running up a tab again.

After seeing GM & Ford get reduced to "Junk" classification on stock it's no wonder their having problems selling and keeping customers.

Ray T. :shades:
  • shiftlessshiftless Member Posts: 40
    If you use the "Lube Kit", scrap the lube they include with the kit and replace it with a good wheel bearing grease. The thicker grease will provide the required "Space Filler" for a much longer time. The grease included in the kit I purchased (for about $15) was a high pressure lube typically used for chassis lubrication and much too thin for the steering shaft splines.

Ed
  • rayt2rayt2 Member Posts: 1,208
    Ed,

What's the point of the "kit" if you scrap the included lube? Or is there an applicator that you need to do the job included and will it work with a heavier grease? :confuse:

Ray T.
  • shiftless1shiftless1 Member Posts: 9
    The kit includes a very special plug which makes it possible to push the new grease through the spline. Using the syringe included with the kit, the heavier grease and a little more effort, the operation was quite painless and effective. The instructions in the kit were straight forward and helpful. The plug and syringe can be used again so the cost of the kit is a one-time-expense.

Ed
  • baligbalig Member Posts: 1
    Is it possible to get an active center diff for the 242 transfercase? That is one that can be electronically controlled. It can be open or locked as in most 242's, and partially locked by clutches, like a 246 transfercase but fulltime 4WD.
    Or is there any simple way to make one? The electronic controls pose no great difficulty.
    I have been using a 241C, compete in the vehicle and would prefer to have partial locking of the center diff depending on brake pressure, steering angle etc but need the fulltime 4WD that the 246 doesn't have.
    I need it to fit a 32 spline transmission shaft (th400, 4L80e)
    Or does anyone know who knows these New Venture (New Process) transfer cases inside out?
    Keith
  • pinnpinn Member Posts: 7
    can anyone out there with a 2001 silverado 4x4 extended cab with the 4.8 l automatic engine tell me if they have tried installing the poweraid throttle body spacer and the poweraid air induction system tell me if they have noticed a change in they're mpg and overall power or is this company just feeding us a bunch of crap like some aftermarket suppliers i have installed 33 inch tires recently and i am considering buying these products to make up some of the mpg loss that comes with bigger tires and if not offer some real solutions?
    Forget the poweraid. I think its in the same catagory as the tornado. Can't think of anything off hand to increase your mpg to compensate for those tires. Well maybe an egg behind the gas pedal.
    Country00, sorry it took me so long to get back to you, I've been off the net the last two weeks. Anyway, it's a 2WD. The BFG Long Trails T/As are a good tire. As to the Liberator, my Dad thought they were made by Michelin also, but they are made by BF Goodrich out of Ft Wayne, IN. There is a recall on a batch made in a two week period, to include BF Goodrich, Liberator and Uniroyal brands. See the note below I pulled off of Google.

The recalled tires have Department of Transportation tire identification numbers which begin with DOT BF and end with the last four digits 1504 or 1604. The DOT codes are found on the inner or outer sidewall of the tire just above the wheel rim and are printed in small type (less than half an inch tall). There are no issues with tires manufactured outside of these DOT weeks. The weeks are the 15th and 16th week of this year.

obyone - as to the Tornado, you guys told me not to buy it a while back, but I already had. I posted that I have seen a 2 mpg increase both city and hi-way since installing it. Still getting 14 city/16 hi-way, no change in driving habit, still love to listen to the Flowmaster....does it work for every vehicle, can't say, but it sure worked on mine. I mounted it right behind the air mass sensor. At $42.00, it paid for itself a while back with today's fuel prices.

Later - Texsun
  • flyfshrflyfshr Member Posts: 1
    The passenger seat bracket has stopped functioning. It doesn't catch anymore, just goes all the way back. I'm trying to locate a replacement but need a diagram or part number. I have a 1998 GMC Sierra 1500 Extended Cab. Anyone able to point me in a direction to locate this? Any assistance greatly appreciated.
    you guys think there is any benefit to getting my exhaust system upgraded to a 3 inch catback system by magnaflow performance wise and fuel efficiency i'm hoping some body has had it done and could give me some input ?
    Other than the sound and maybe the looks of the tip can't figure on getting any better gas mileage with the loss of lowend torque. If you look at an exhaust system, the major component that creates back pressure is your catalytic converter and NOT your muffler or non-mandrel bends. Cut those out and replace with straight pipes and you've removed most of the restriction. Course again, you would lose some amount of lowend torque. And since the Silverado is no torque monster, I'd give it serious consideration before doing it. You would probably fail emission testing, then again around my parts we don't have emission testing.
    obyone - as to the Tornado, you guys told me not to buy it a while back, but I already had. I posted that I have seen a 2 mpg increase both city and hi-way since installing it. Still getting 14 city/16 hi-way, no change in driving habit, still love to listen to the Flowmaster....does it work for every vehicle, can't say, but it sure worked on mine. I mounted it right behind the air mass sensor. At $42.00, it paid for itself a while back with today's fuel prices.

Hey I'm glad it works for you. I had it installed in four company vehicles ( 2 Fords and 2 Nissans) with no improvement in mileage or power. You're getting 14/16? Hmmm I used to get 15/19 and I had a 2WD too with the 5.3 and 3.73.
  • damurphdamurph Member Posts: 10
    I'm looking to hear from people about their dealer, dealing and deal experiences. Who have you dealt with, was it good or bad? How's their service? Would you deal with them again?

I'm looking at the '05 Sierra and Silverado. I want a 4X2 extended cab with the 6' bed, Cruise and Power Windows.

I look forward to hearing from anybody in the K.C. and Western Missouri area.
  • bigsarge88bigsarge88 Member Posts: 1
    I just put some 24" rims on my 01 Tahoe. Is there anything I have to change or worry about in the next few months. Thanks
    do you guys think the powerchips or programmers work or just a waste of moeny and time it's not like they're cheap up hear in canada you know they run about $600or about $300 in your dollar so I should get some input what's your thoughts obyone you seem to be a straight shooter?
    factory brakes. Those rims will cause a little longer stopping distance on the already dismal stock numbers making for an emergency braking a somewhat hair raising experience. Have you noticed the difference after installing the 24s?
    IMO the Hypertech unit isn't worth the money. The Predator programmer may be worth it if you're adept in tuning. Because of the options it offers in programming you could literally screw your truck up if you're not familiar with what you're doing. They do offer preset custom tunes which you can also modify.
    I have the 6L with 3.73. Best I've ever got was 16.3 hi-way running from OK to TX with a tailwind and that was three weeks after I installed the Tornado. And I run with the traffic, which is about 75-90 mph - :shades: . I've noticed a slight drop in mileage after installing the Liberator 285/75/16s, but haven't adjusted my speedometer/odometer yet either. I'm about 5 mph off. I also need to clean the K&N FIPK filter, it's been about 50,000 miles since I installed it. Of all the additions - K&N FIPK, Flowmasters, Tonado, K&N definitely improved performance and Flowmaster improved sound/looks, the Tornado was the only one that I noticed that improved the mileage.
  • txyank1txyank1 Member Posts: 1,010
    I had an Airaid on my '99 4.8 and if anything I lost about 1 mpg. 'course that could have been 'cause I had to keep hitting WOT to hear it suck air! ;) I wouldn't spend the money for a new one. I did just pick up a used one for my Av that included the intake tube....which is what I was after.
  • bunnjoeybunnjoey Member Posts: 2
    DOES ANYBODY MAKE A CONSOLE THAT REPLACES THE "20" SECTION OF A 40/20/40 BENCH SEAT IN A 2005 SILVERADO CREW CAB?
  • andre1969andre1969 Member Posts: 25,655
    hey gang, anybody here know about how much a cubic yard of #57 driveway gravel would weigh? Is it something I could chance with an '85 Silverado 1/2 ton with an 8-foot bed? I'd only have to haul this load about a half-mile, as the materials company is just up the street from me.
    You sound like a perfect candidate for a TORNADO. Not sure if it will fit after the MAF with the airaid intake tube tho.
This discussion has been closed.