Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chevy Silverado/GMC Sierra - Owners hangout

Comments

• txyank1txyank1 Member Posts: 1,010
    I've had a Flowmaster on every truck I've owned, but never with any expectations of HP or MPG increases. It's all about the sound. :D
  • noobie1noobie1 Member Posts: 326
    It's true about over oiling those things. I have the stock replacement in my truck. Recently registered a DTC, P0101-Mass Air Flow System. When I took it off I noticed what appeared to be soot coating the honeycomb and those other thingies just downstream. Soot? Didn't make sense. So I blasted it with some B-12 (frowned upon by the book) and put it back on noticing a little improvement. Later concluded the "soot" was a thin coating of oil from the K&N which had collected microscopic particles of dirt. That's the theory anyway. I intend to take it off again and do a more thorough job (before I spend 200 bucks on a new one).

-David
  • rayt2rayt2 Member Posts: 1,208
    Ain't that the truth ! :P I always like to "hear" my truck, the stock exhaust just doesn't cut it. My wife still to this day can't get over my removing a perfectly good new exhaust system from a new truck to install a new Borla system, ahh woman what do they know about a motorheads thinking LOL !

Ray T. :shades:
  • srlbotanicalsrlbotanical Member Posts: 10
    I have to disagree with some of the other replies to your message. I don't think I would modify a brand new truck while it was still under warranty, however I always have owned used trucks and I have always installed a K&N air intake kit. I swear by them. My current truck is a 1997 5.7L silverado. I installed a K&N FIPK. I can notice better performance particularly when I am towing. I also get better mileage on the highway by about 2 mpg.

As far as the issue of over oiling goes, I have never had that problem. The filter comes to you oiled and ready to go. When you do clean and oil it (50K later) you can look up the exact amount of oil you will need on the K&N web site. The oil is pink, so its easy to see how much your spraying on a nice clean white filter.

Also, you can save about 100 bucks if you buy your K&N kit on ebay.

I love it!
    Hmmm, I've never seen a white one other than brand new unoiled. Even after cleaning it. Always pinkish.
    I have a 97 5.7 (350) silverado. The OEM exhaust is completely dual, with two cats and two pipes until they combine in one huge muffler. the exhaust then comes out as one pipe and terminates behind my passenger side rear tire.

I am considering cutting off the exhaust right in front of the muffler and installing glass packs, continuing the true dual exhaust and terminating with a bend behind each rear wheel. I love the sound of glass packs, but I don't want to you to hear me from two blocks away. I just want a nice low throaty sound with out the excessive noise.

What do you guys think? My local shop ( I know the guy and he is really good) can do this for about 200 bucks, and it will be a lot fuller flowing then stock. What do you guys think?

Steve
    If you can afford it (and $200 does sound reasonable) go for it. The type of muffler you use will determine the noise. There are numerous choices to make for sound quality. While I have never used them Flowmaster has a wide variety of performance mufflers http://www.flowmastermufflers.com/mufflers.html

I've never seen a "Glasspack" that couldn't be heard from 2 blocks away. You wouldn't be disappointed with a 50 series Flowmaster. I had it on several 5.7's and it sounds great.
  • sailboatguysailboatguy Member Posts: 13
    I'm about to change my oil for the first time, and I don't want to drain the auto tranny fluid by accident as a couple folks here have done. Is the oil drain plug the one just inches behind where the oil filter is, because it looks like thats part of the tranny to me, but I'm mechanically challenged, so I don't know for sure.

2005 Silverado 1500 5.3 liter, auto trans.
  • obyoneobyone Member Posts: 7,841
    yep it's near the oil filter.
  • stonegstoneg Member Posts: 47
    I've got just over 2300 miles on my 05 Sierra Duramax 6.6 L and have been very displeased with the "off the line" performance. 1st gear seams to really unresponisve. I am condisdering replacing the stock air box with a conical filter with a heat shield to allow more & cooler air in, replace the stock 3 inch exhaust with a 4 inch from the turbo back (to help reduce exhaust gas temp's and to help get the exhaust out), and adding the Edge Juice with Attitude chip/programmer.
    I plan on keeping this truck for about 8-10 years, and figure that if I can get 3-5 mpg more than now, it would pay for itself. I figure that cost to be about $1,500 installed. I am currently only getting about 12.5 mpg in the city, while a friend with an 03 duramax (with this same programmer, but w/o the intake or exhaust) is getting 16.5mpg. Very few of the sites selling the programmers will state ANY mpg gains, and the ones that do are VERY vague. I know that my 0-60 will increase.
    Will my mpg increase?
    Is this safe for my engine? (thats why I'm considering the exhaust)

Also....a question for m_Boise...were you talking about the Tornado throttle body spacer? If so, did you add it, and did it make a difference in your mpg?

Stone G
    I did finally find one and order it. It is made by DJ Motorsports. It was about $95 plus shipping. It supposedly doesnt have any visable mounting hardware, and resembles the Denali grill more than the other manufacturers. I should have it in a couple of days and will know then if it was worth it.
    Ive had my D-Max for over a month with around 2500 miles on it and dont tow anything either. However since I got it, I've had to pull a fairly heavy boat and another time a doulbe axle trailor with a large tractor/front end loader/bush hog on it. PLENTY OF POWER - LOVE IT. I plan on keeping mine for many years so I opted for the D-Max over the gas burner.
    Here is a list of what I have dont to it so far:
    Leveling Kit (raised front up 2.5 inches to level it out)
    Chrome Westin Nerf Bars
    Vent Visors/Hood Bug Deflector/Sunroof Wind Deflector
    BF Goodrich 185/75/16 All Terrain TA ko Tires
    (trimmed front valence just a little to keep tires from rubbing)
    Line-x Spray in Bedliner
    Tint Windows

Future projects:
    Installing a "Denali" style grill
    Cam-Locker Low Profile Deep Tool Box with Rails
    Back Up Sensors (like the Fords have)
    Larger Air Intake with Heat Shield
    4" turbo back exhaust
    Edge Juice with Attitude Programmer
    and maybe a brush guard/push bar

Damn all this keeping up with the Jones' (aka my neighbor and his F250)!!!
  • grayshan55grayshan55 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 96 Suburban with a 5.7. i have true duals with 18 inch glass packs and they are really low and throaty, but when you really want to gun it they get really loud, i recomed getting 18".
  • jerrymcshane1jerrymcshane1 Member Posts: 195
    Has anyone looked at the different types of packages GMS is offering on it's 06' Sierra? Such as one ($3K+) which INCLUDES 20" tires. There's also, on the extended model, a SHORTER box option. I believe it's 7" shorter to be exact.
  • m_boisem_boise Member Posts: 12
    Stone G-

I bought the Poweraid TBS from Airaid. I have yet to install it. Been doing a lot of research, and am still up in the air about it--but I'm leaning towards selling it as the technology doesn't seem to benefit the Vortec engine that is in my truck which uses sequential port fuel injection. The same could be said most engines built in the 90's and later. I have an 05 Silverado Crew Cab, 5.3L V8 Z71 with 2700 miles. I have added a cat-back dual exhaust from flowmaster and the sound is great as well as going from 17.5 to 18.8 mpg overall with 60/40 highway/city driving. I just installed a K&N Air Charger intake system. No results on mileage yet. But it seems to have quieted the Flowmaster just slightly, I've noticed that when I step on it--the V8 really pushes through the higher rpms faster (above 2700) and the transmission seems to allow the rpms to go higher before shifting. While installing the air charger I noticed the stock system was really engineered quite well. The stock intake box was mounted in a way that it was drawing air from outside the engine compartment through a couple of rather large holes that opened into a space above the front passenger wheel well. The stock intake tube was just as large, if not larger that the K&N. It had a strange "reservoir" that dropped below the direct air flow and definately would increase total volume...but seems like it would slow the air down and cause some increase in heat--but I'm no engineer or mechanic. So my results on the K&N are still out and the TBS will most likely gather dust unless I get somebody to buy it from me. My next possible purchase would be a programmer...but maybe I should just enjoy the new truck and stop throwing money at upgrades and accessories.
  • z71billz71bill Member Posts: 1,986
    I know - many people really think that they get better performance & HP from the K&N filter - could it be that replacing an old "dirty" filter (used truck) - with a new filter could have given you the same result?

If it really increases 2 MPG why doesn't the manufacturer just put it on at the factory? - GM, Ford, Toyota, Nissan & Dodge would KILL to get a 2 MPG bump in their full size trucks.

First - I have has several VERY loud cars in my life - so I do understand -

But if you really think about it - it's like putting baseball cards in the spokes of your bike - sounds real cool - but does it make you go any faster?

If I only new that the 1951Bowman Mickey Mantel rookie card in my spokes would someday be worth $800.
    I don't think I'm getting better day to day performance at all from the K&N Intake system--only very small changes at wide open throttle...which is not how I want to drive. The jury is still out on mpg though. I've heard so many conflicting reports on these things that I figured I would spend the $250 and get a real answer for my truck in my driving situations. I have no problem taking the stupid thing off if I see no gains and a dirty throttle body.

As for the exhaust--it sounds more like a "truck" now, and the sound was 90% of the reason I added the fart can. The change in mileage that I saw with the aftermarket exhaust was real...maybe it was from the environment, gas quality, or the fact that I added it before reaching 2000 miles--maybe the engine wasn't really broken in and performing. Who knows? Sounds better and the dual look (no real function) gives it some uniqueness.

Manufacturers adding mpg boosters? They are all in cahoots with oil companies anyway---otherwise we would be driving around for free using our own garbage for fuel by now ;) These vehicles are built to be non-offensive and meet government regulations while still costing too much and sucking enough gas to keep the fat cats fat.

Anyway--enough rambing...just want to make it clear that I'm not here to promote any kind of product or aftermarket stuff, just wanted to hear from others' experiences and let others know of mine.
    I noticed that. It's the Crew Cab bed. Haven't checked to see if they shortened the wheelbase any. If not, what's the point? The model with 20" wheels sounds like a model Chevy had last year.
    I just looked and the wheelbase is that same looooong freakin' 143.5". But the truck is almost 10" shorter. Whoopty do. The thing I hated about mine was trying manuever with that wheelbase. And that's one thing I love about my Av. 130" wheelbase!
  • jerrywimerjerrywimer Member Posts: 588
    They had to have shortened the wheelbase.

So in the 1/2 ton lineup you can now get:
    standard cab, short box
    standard cab, long box
    extended cab, super short box (from crew cab)
    extended cab, short box
    extended cab, long box
    crew cab, super short box

I think the idea behind the addition is that some people want something with more space than you get in a regular cab, but don't need as much space as the crew cab. They also want a usable bed, but don't really need anything too large (sort of the average homeowner that just wants to be able to tote the mulch home without dirtying up the car trunk). This combination improves over the other options by meeting both requirements with the shortest possible wheelbase / turning circle in the lineup. It will provide the extra convenience of the extended cab truck without the "boat"-like manners in tighter spaces and should still give most of the other benefits of a 1/2 ton over the compact / mid-size trucks. Things like overall payload weight and towing capacity.
  • jerrymcshane1jerrymcshane1 Member Posts: 195
    I think it's a good idea. Ford started, this but do NOT sell many extended trucks with the super short box. I wonder if these 20" tires and several box size options are a peek at "things to come" with the new the 900 GMT line, out next year?
    According to the Spec's right here on Edmunds ALL the X cabs (6.5' and 5.8' bed) AND Crew Cabs (5.8' bed) are still 143.5" wheelbase. No improvement there.
    Edmunds has been known to have incorrect specs before. Given that the crew cab truck has the same wheelbase as the extended cab short box right now, there are 10" being cut out of the ec ssb truck. There's nowhere to put the extra 10" (it's in the cab of the cc, the bed of the [current] ec). Unless the rear wheelwell in the bed is going to be practically on top of the bumper, that is..

edit: clarified a sentence (I hope)

PS- I seriously doubt GM is going to go to the trouble of yet another completely unique bed. To keep the wheelbase the same as the current trucks, the frame rails would be cut down and the bed itself would end up with the wheel openings located that extra 10" further back as I mention above. Keeping the bed the same allows them to use the exact same bed that goes on the crew, combined with the same cab that all usual EC trucks have, on a shorter frame. Wheel opening on either part would stay the same, but the wheelbase would shrink ~10". Probably going to check out the Chevy sight to see what it shows..
    Edmunds is definitely wrong. Check out Chevy's web site for the specs (dimensions):

Wheelbases
    Extended Cab Short Box / Extended Cab Regular Box / Extended Cab Long Box
    134.0 / 143.5 / 157.5

Length
    Extended Cab Short Box / Extended Cab Regular Box / Extended Cab Long Box
    220.2 / 230.2 / 249.0

So, basically the wheelbase shrunk 9.5" and the length shrunk exactly 10". :)
    Oh, and our "short box" is now being referred to as the "Standard Box".
    Just checked the GMC site. Unfortunately it hasn't yet been updated to show anything about the EC w/short box yet. I assume GMC is getting this combo too? Maybe it's only Chevrolet.
    That certainly makes more sense. thanks. Edmunds wrong? :surprise:
  • dryodtdryodt Member Posts: 2
    Hey All,
    I am into my second month of my 2005 GMC ownership experience after 27 years of Toyotas we'll just have to see. Thus far the new truck Crew cab SLT 4x4 Z71 Package has been very satisfying. Took it from Oak Ridge TN to Tupelo MS and it averaged 19.9 MPG with only 1900 miles at origin. It has the 3.42 gears in the rear so that probably explains it. No sonner had I bought it than I aquired a 30" Award tarvel trailer. According to the specs and solid load estimation I am well with in the limits for towing despite the higher ratio in the rear. I got 12.3 towing from Oak Ridge to Atlanta and back a little less. Anyone know about towing in OD with the towing selector on. Manual says go for it but history says 3rd gear only may be the way to go. I think the computer may know better? :)
  • KCRamKCRam Member Posts: 3,516
    When you do find errors like that, click the Help link in the top right and file the correction. We hosts do it too!

kcram - Pickups Host
    m_Boise,
    I have been speaking to a couple of aftermarket specialty shops around here, and they all have been telling me to wait until my d-max has at least 10k miles on it before I add the programmer. I am however definatly replacing the 3" exhaust with the 4", as everyone says my mpg's will go up. Now, with the air getting out faster, wouldn't increasing the air in, result in better mpg, more horse power, or ???
    Since my truck only has 2,500 miles on it, it looks like I should take the programmer money and spend it on 16"x 10" wheels and replace the stock 16" x 6.5" pizza cutters.
    Got it, installed it in about 7 minutes. Looks pretty good. I would give it a 9 out of 10. I think it should either be a little more snug, or should come with a chrome or black trim piece to hide the edges of the insert. It is called the Small Hole-Y by DJ Motorsports. Now my 2500HD D-Max has the sophistication of the Denali front end.
  • truitt83truitt83 Member Posts: 3
    I just got a 2001 Silverado about 6 months ago, so im new to chevy. Its the 5.3L V8 stepside. I was just wondering what a good exhaust system would be and about how much will it affect my mpg and pocketbook. would it be something that i could do with the right tools. any suggestions would be greatly apreciated.
    stoneg-

That was my logic too, so I installed the K&N Air Charger which replaces the entire stock air intake system. I have only had it for a week or so now, and haven't gotten new mpg readings. Do some research, ask around, there are plenty of differing opinions out there. Some say the increased air flow = increased dirt into the engine. This makes sense---but I don't think that they let in more dirt/volume of air---the filtration is equivalent. I didn't see an obvious performance change in my day to day driving after installing it (you may see different changes with the diesel). Check out the previous post I left to see what I noticed. I'm going to give it a chance for a couple thousand miles and decide after that. As for the wider tires, that will look great but is not helping your quest for better mpg. The programmer is something I've also been told to wait on. So, I'm done with upgrades for several thousand miles...just enjoying the ride.
  • junojuno Member Posts: 2
    I have a sierra 1500 xlt ext cab short bed V8. I went to change the oil and did not have a wrench to fit the nut.
    Any one know what size I need to buy ?.
  • ryanbabryanbab Member Posts: 7,240
    15mm
    The past few days I have had a problem with my truck not wanting to kick over. If I drive and park it for appx 30-60 min and try and start it again it will just crank and wont turn over. Sometimes it will but the rpms will stay very low and it will die. After trying it a second time itll start right up.

Yesterday I had something else happen, a few hrs after making a trip to the hardware store I went to pull it in the garage and when I turned the key I had a horrible screech noise. Similar noise as if you tried to start the truck when it was already running. HMMM I am now leaning towards the alternator? Should an alternator be hot to the touch after strating a truck and pulling it in a garage??? Cant say I ever really noticed

Any ideas???

Also Truck is 5 yrs old and has 55K miles

Thanks!
    On the high end (several hundred $$) you have Corsa and Borla that make bolt-on cat-back systems in Stainless Steel. Magnaflo also makes one more in the middle $$ range. These, many folks do themselves. Others like myself went with a Flowmatser muffler and had a shop install just the muffler keeping stock pipes for a couple hundred (or less). It comes down to sound preference and size of pocketbook. FYI, it's important from a performance standpoint to stay with 3" if a single tailpie and max 2.25" for duals. As for MPG, there will be a far greater effect on your pocketbook than on HP or MPG. It's all about the sound. ;)
    When was the last time you changed your fuel filter? Sounds like a fuel delivery problem.

Other than the starter, it could also be your a/c compressor that screeches.....
    Yep I have a Corsa on the Denali, sounds great. Removed the K&N FIPK cause the resonance under the hood drove me nuts. Bought some 20's with 275/55, did a 1/3 drop and instant Bling Bling....
    Whats the AC? I have only run it 2 times this yr so far.

The fuel filter was changed last yr (Aug) appx 7-8K miles ago
    Might have a bearing going in alternator if hot to touch in that short a period (driveway to garage) . Screeching could be the belt dragging on alternator pulley if bearing is starting to freeze up or drag. Screeching could also be from a/c, as obyone said, lack of use could effect bearing causing a little drag on that pulley as well although that pulley freewheels until load put on it. I had an idler pulley making noise for a week, just as I was gonna give it a shot of WD-40 it stopped acting up.
    Is battery OK? check the electrolite with a tester. Low readout can indicate inadequate charge from alternator which would make sense if its on the fritz.Did you remake the battery connections? try that if you haven't.
    Keep us posted on results,,,,,,,good luck. Sucks when there are intermittent electrical problems. :sick:

You and I have about the same mileage on our 5 yr. old trucks. GM has me thinking of new with this employee discount deal going on but can't locate an 05 equipped with my needs. They have extended this "deal" to 06 models but only till end of September according to their website. Don't think I could order one in time either at this point. :(

Battery seems fine if its not I have a brand new optima in the garage :)

As far as buying a new one I have been tempted. One reason I am not is I just bought a house a few months ago. Why have a truck payment when I dont now. And also I have the spy shot of the new 07 silverado on my background and everytime I look at it it reminds me of when the 99s came out. Porbably wait until 08 now
    I have a 97 Silverado with the 5.7L (350). I bought two flowmaster dyna-flo 40's on ebay for about $60 each and had my local shop complete the true dual package with an H pipe for about $170 (all welded, no clamps) and exits behind my rear wheels. I LOVE IT. The sound is fantastic! When ever you change over to true dual exhaust make sure you install that H pipe. It made all the difference with noise inside the cab. Inside its a low hum, outside its all Flowmaster. I Swear it feels a bit more responsive, but that could be my mind playing tricks. The sound makes me grin every time... BTW, I also have a K&N FIPK installed. I will never own another truck with out putting on a K&N and dueling out with flowmasters.

Steve in Michigan
  • dch0300dch0300 Member Posts: 472
    Ryan,
    Wow, what a coincidence!!
    Yesterday, for the first time since I bought my truck new almost 5 years ago, my truck also had a little trouble starting and idling after I had driven it and it had been setting for about 30 minutes. It would turn over just fine, but would idle at about 400 RPMs then die. Took about 2 tries then it has run fine ever since.

I did pull my boat almost 300 miles over the weekend. And on Monday on my way to work, when I wasn't pulling the boat, the truck seemed to have a lot of giddy up in it, like the engine was set in "I'm still pulling a boat mode so let's up the power requirements". Maybe after that short drive and parking it, its internal computer realized I wasn't pulling a boat anymore and was trying to re-adjusted itself back to normal?
    -David
  • white6white6 Member Posts: 588
    symptoms sound like fuel pressure regulator. These little babies develop a leak in the diaphram after several years. My brother's 99 had these hot start problems last year; pulled the vacuum line off and, sure enough, there was fuel present. It's a little diaphram (about the size of a nickle) that has a vacuum line plugged into one end. Surprisingly enough, Chevy dealer was cheaper than parts place at about $65.
    So far it has ran fine HMMM

Also thought i would post a pic I took today.

Although some have done it, true duals are't recommended on the 5.3. A little too free-flowing.
    So that's a Corsa on a 6.0? Or is it still the 5.7? Don't remember what year it is. I haven't heard one on a 6.0.
    I bought a used Airaid cheap, including the tube. Put just the tube on first and it got louder...and more responsive. Especially in the 50-70 range. Then I put the box and filter on and wow - talk about noisey. At a certain RPM there's more interior resonance than any muffler I've had ever caused. It's off now pending a possible trade and not sure what I'll put back on. Probably just the tube.
    If you have been following my starting issues I just had a specific question. Today truck ran good I started it a bit ago and it wanted to die but it didnt. Got it in the garage (with wax on it ) pulled the hose off the FPR and it didnt seem wet. Came in checked something went back out pulled it off again and gas poured out of the hose. Put it back on checked a little while later and same thing gas poured out of the hose. Bad regulator?

Thanks

Ryan

--------------------
    I had both the 5.7 in a '00 and the 6.0 in a '02 Denali. The 5.7 was a dog. Corsa had the exhaust for the 6.0 out for awhile now.

http://www.corsaperf.com/flashdenali.htm

I had the airaid for the rado and the FIPK for the Denali. Both put out way too much noise for me. As the airaid setup was initially for the box replacement, dumping the tube and placing the stock tube back was no problem. For the Denali, it's back to stock as the intake noise was a lot higher than the rado. Funny thing cause the airaid tube looks way more restrictive than the FIPK.
This discussion has been closed.