Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chevy Silverado/GMC Sierra - Owners hangout

Comments

• obyoneobyone Member Posts: 7,841
    Would you believe none so far in the 18 months I've owned it!?

Yep, I'm amazed too. Figured I'd get that brake judder for sure. But as I had told Quad in an email, I had changed the front brake pads to ceramic in the first 300 miles cause I couldn't stand all that black dust forming on the front rims like BMWs.

I do kind of miss not knowing the Nissan service manager on a first name basis as I knew the Chevy manager.
  • stardust4stardust4 Member Posts: 1
    Hello all!!

I recentely bought a 2005 GMC Sierra Denali Crew Crab and here are the Engine Specifications:

Code LQ9; Cylinders V8; Liters 6.0; Fuel Induction SFI; HP 345; Torque 380

As you all well know I am sure
    My question is this:

What does CODE LQ9 mean?

What does FUEL INDUCTION SFI mean?
    mainly in this one ^^^ what does SFI stand for?
    Thank you in advance, as I am just learning about engines from my husband... :)
  • geo9geo9 Member Posts: 735
    DEAN.............Either your gettin' old or the planets
    were aligned the day you bought that truck !
    From reading Akangles titan issues and titantalk
    makes me wonder.....................

Thats good tho !

BTW:Babs truck is still hanging in there tho.
    He don't post here much since hes a mod at the other
    place and a workin' stiff now !!!!!!!!!!!!! :shades:
  • buddygleebuddyglee Member Posts: 44
    I bought a 2004 chevy new, 4.8 engine. I change the oil when the computer tells me it is time but in the interim I usually have to add a quart, Chevy dealer said it is normal but I have never had to add oil between oil changes before on my other vehicles (unless there was an evident leak) No smoke out of the exhaust, most of the gaskets on this engine have leaks (i can see the difference in the dirt on the engine but no dripping leaks) just discolored dust where the parts are joined. I don't really haul anything and the speeds are kept under 95 (no thanks to the computer)Typically between 70 and 85. It is possible that on some of the Oil changes I bought a gallon jug instead of a 5 qt jug so it started 1 qt low but I feel the amount of oil used between changes should be minimal. I have had the check oil light come on about 3 times. I also use the Lucas oil additive is there anyone that has any pros or cons about this or Slick 50 type additives?

Thanks.
    How has she been? She's on her second Titan right? I know what she's going through cause I've been there before....

Good to know Babs is still around was thinking he got married and a job and not having enough puter time.
    LQ9= Generation III V8 6.0L Compression 10:1
    Bore x Stroke (in) 101.6 x 92

SFI= sequential fuel injection
  • ryanbabryanbab Member Posts: 7,240
    I am still around. Not married yet. Next spring. Been pretty busy building an 18x18 deck. Hauled alot of wood and concrete kept the truck busy. I am almost to 60K miles. Not much has changed I need to paint a new set of mirror caps and change over to my BFG MTRs for the summer. My BFG ATs are pretty much worn out at appx 50K miles. They dont have much traction left when it rains out.
  • randykeith1randykeith1 Member Posts: 2
    Thanks for the response to my problem. The answers just confirmed my conclusion, but it is good to have it confirmed. I still like my Silverado, and I won't be expecting it to act like a V8 in the future. :)
  • jjjjrjjjjr Member Posts: 2
    I was idling through a parking lot when the oil and temp gauges seemed to fluctuate somewhat erraticaly, before just the oil gauge dropped to zero. I immediately stopped the motor. After adding two quarts (it was just below full three days ago), I started it up and saw no movement of the oil gauge, heard clattering, and immediately shut it down again. I didn't hear any clattering until just before stopping it the first time, and after running it for another 3 seconds upon starting it again (after adding oil)

1)How much damage is most likely to have been done?
    2)How hard is it to replace the oil pump?
    Any help would be very much appreciated.
  • grabowskygrabowsky Member Posts: 74
    Any one know what's the best way to punch out the covers on a bedliner? It's a GMC liner and the dealer installed it but of course the wankers didn't remove the covers over the bed hooks. Any info would be appreciated. :)
    dremel tool?
  • joe29001joe29001 Member Posts: 48
    If you install 4 or 5 quarts at an oil change, you're starting off 1 or 2 quarts low. That would explain your oil "loss". Skip the Lucas/Slick 50 snake oil and just add all 6 quarts next time. Your oil "consumption" should disappear (unless you've done permanent damage by driving 85 MPH with the check oil light on).
  • buddygleebuddyglee Member Posts: 44
    Nope the oil light only ever flickered I am pretty careful about driving when the idiot lights come on. Is it a 6 quart capacity? I thought 5 quarts?

Thanks, Buddy
    6-quarts, check your owner's manual, it should be listed under 'capacities'.
  • txyank1txyank1 Member Posts: 1,010
    Hope you had better luck than I finding decent deck boards. Was lucky to find one in ten that was useable and even those were slightly bent, warped, or twisted. Hey, I know a lot of people like that! :surprise:
  • geo9geo9 Member Posts: 735
    YO TX !...............Weather is gettin' nice here in
    NY ! Do you remember Hoffmans German hotdogs?
    Some guy named Doug is importing and selling those NY
    favorites down in TX.................

A good pressure treated board is hard to find unless
    they are from a inside lumber yard. Whats funny is
    most of these "carpenters" don't know how to lay the
    boards out with the "cup" of the wood the right side
    down so water will run off your deck instead of making
    line pools of water when it rains!

On topic: My 04 2500 just passed inspection with a
    HARD 15k miles on it! All towing or snowplowing.
    Only problem in 3 years had been those heated mirrors
    glass cracking ! So its off to its 2nd dealer visit
    in 3 years for replacement!

Can't wait for the GMT-900s to show up next year !
    Black, 2500,x-cab, 4wd, plow prep., locker, tow pkg.
    for me please !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :P
  • jasminecjasminec Member Posts: 3
    Hi there. I'm trying to get a tailgate hinge bracket for my 1999 sierra (v6). I've searched online and have had no luck, so I called a dealer. They told me that there were two body styles made in 1999 and wanted to know which one it was. I asked if there were any differences I could look for....he said, "Uh, not really". Well, then how can I give him an answer. I did some research and if I'm correct the old body style is called classic. It really is my hubby's truck and he said that he thinks it is the newer version. Can anyone help me? Where do I look or what do I look for to tell the difference? At this point if you open the tailgate it falls off so I have to find a solution. Thank you all in advance. I did try searches for the differences and the most I got was that there were different grills and interior trim. But I didn't see what they were. Thanks again.
    Dont get me started. I went through so many deck boards looking for good ones. I pretty much used up the whole 10ft and 8 ft boards. Biggest problem I seen were ends cracking. Now I am dealing with an occasional spindle warping (C shaped). Staining the deck and spindles hasnt helped either. Quality of wood has really decreased in the last 5 yrs (I worked at a lumber yard).

On a truck note yesterday and today I spent greasing the front end, U joints, draining the rear diff, putting on the bfg MTs and paining my fender wells (inner rears) with black spray on bedliner (out of a can). Came out great

Took 1 and a half cans to do both sides. I tarped off the sides with plastic.

by getting away with 2 leaves on a half ton. Must be made of metal from Krypton. Simply amazing!!
  • jasminecjasminec Member Posts: 3
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    You might try stopping by AutoZone or a similar shop. I had an experience like this recently with a Toyota Celica - needed an O2 sensor and didn't know which of the two "versions" of the 2000 Celica we had. AutoZone was able to pull up the list of possible parts and determined that we could tell the difference by the 8th character in the VIN number. Who knew??

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

Hi George. Don't think I do remember Hoffman's. But I'm at that age where I don't remember too much anyway. :(
    I probably didn't get the "cup" right either. But then I never claimed to be a carpenter.
    I was in NY over Memorial weekend. Daughter and I drove up....straight thru...31 hrs each way! :cry: Averaged 21.04 mpg with the Av (3.42 gears). The only place I found gas over 2.80 was in NY State! Topped off at 2.98/gal. before heading back.
    Truck is still looking good Ryan! One of my Sportsides had NO coating underneath the rear fenders and side of box. It was nice to be able to wash under there and have a clean body-colored inner fender.
    Truck hauled the 2200lbs of concrete a few months back great. A little sag but I would say thats a given
    You should've borrowed Tim's truck. I'm sure he'd lend it to ya course with a few words of wisdom on overloading a 1/2 ton. LOL! ;)
    we all know his is the 2500 LD version hehe

I am going to be changing my cabin filter soon. Last time I talked to him he still hasnt changed his
  • hws49hws49 Member Posts: 3
    ndfan, I too recently purchased a 2006 Silverado V6 5-speed. I find that I have to push the clutch almost all the way to the floor to get it to disengage. The dealer said it was self-adjusting, and there was nothing they could do. From looking at it, that appears to be the case. I can get it in gear ok, but I have a hard time driving it smoothly, and I've driven a straight shift all my life. What I wouldn't give for an old-fashioned adjustable clutch. If you find out anything that can be done, please reply, and I'll do the same. I'm hoping that as it wears it might get better, but if it keeps self-adjusting, who knows.
    I noticed what looks like a small radiator in front of my gas tank. What gives?
  • KCRamKCRam Member Posts: 3,516
    USA Today link

And the accompanying article here

Looks like an enlarged Colorado to me...

kcram - Pickups Host
  • p100p100 Member Posts: 1,116
    I have read a bunch of comments on this truck in the gm-trucks.com forum. Very few like it.
  • aik262aik262 Member Posts: 9
    AIK262 hey, i bought a 2004 v6 5spd, same problem, just got let clutch surfaces break in a bit,My 3rd gear would catch pretty good when I up shifted.
  • millerfordmillerford Member Posts: 10
    We just bought a new Chevy Silverado 2500..Duramax, Alison, LS model...about 3 or 4 months ago. This truck has been nothing but trouble. Everything that could possibly to wrong with GM's crappy engeniering did go wrong. We traded in our 2001 F-350 7.3L PSD..best truck possibly ever owned. I would give the world have it back over this heap. Time was taking it's toll on the Ford, but it still ran better and had better power, torqe, looks, and engine than this Silverado. I am a Ford man, but thought why not give the other guys a chance. Now I know why i'm a Ford man. GM just really lost themselves yet another consumer of their crap!!! Never will own another one again! Now i'm looking for a used F-250 with the old 7.3L possbly a 2002. We used the 2001 to tow our six horse trailer...no problem towed like a champ..but we sold it and got two 3 horse trailers...Sundowners...amazing trailers. So yeah :sick:
  • sebring95sebring95 Member Posts: 3,241
    Based on your forum name and bio: "I'm 16 and on my first Expedition, well hopefuly my first of many. I love Fords hate GM with a passion:) I don't think you can get any lower than you are with a GM product:)):)).

Who would have imagined you'd have trouble with a GM?? Let us know what has actually gone wrong with "your" 3-month truck and maybe we can help? Or maybe not!
    What was wrong with it? Power, torque, looks, engine? That should have been noticed before you bought it. A simple test drive would have been a good comparison.
    I think the I'm 16 part says it all...
  • aik262aik262 Member Posts: 9
    wow, thats a change, they lost truck look with new front grill and lights hopefully the inside looks better, the tahoe looks better then that
  • hws49hws49 Member Posts: 3
    Thanks for the info aik262. I'm hoping it will loosen up
    as it wears.
  • pickles077pickles077 Member Posts: 30
    Poorly designed front end. The front bumpers are painted where the slightest contact will mar the paint. Bring back
    our chromed bumpers with vinyl rub strips.

If I have to buy a truck with a painted front bumper it will be a Toyota.
    P.
  • trucktrickstrucktricks Member Posts: 45
    Of course that kids story is bogus. I have a new 2500HDwith the Duramax(360hp and 650 f/lbs of torque). Don't even try to tell me that any stock F-series engine makes even close to that power level. Yet he claims his old Ford was more powerful.I don't have anything against Ford diesels except they are noisy and the 6.0 seems to be a piece of crap(at least according to Ford).
  • mojo63mojo63 Member Posts: 1
    where is that resistor located????? bought the part but can't locate ...just changed the cabin filters but didn't see anything remotely looking like the resistor ....is it near the heater controls????????
  • erik_werik_w Member Posts: 4
    I have spent a good couple weeks looking at trucks, and taking test drives. I'm set on the Silverado, but I'm having second thoughts on the Z71. Do I really need a 4x4, no. But, I'd hate to buy the truck and wish I had the 4x4, or worse, end up needing it later. Plus, I'm guessing that 5 years down the road I'll be better off when I sell/trade it having the 4x4. Anybody have any opinions? Does it cost a lot more to maintain the 4x4? Thanks...
  • sebring95sebring95 Member Posts: 3,241
    There's a little bit extra cost to maintain (diff/transaxle fluids), slightly worse fuel economy, and more to break obviously. In most cases, it appears a used 4x4 is worth a substantial sum more. Is it more than what it costs when new? I dunno, it would take some investigation. I've never bought a 4x4 because it's not something you'd likely say "i wish I WOULDN'T have bought" but more likely the other way around. I've not found many conditions where 2wd is better.
    Contrary to the recommendations (mostly from 4x4 Owners) I would NEVER by a 4x4 just because it has higher resale if I didn't have a specific need for it. And personally I never have, even though there may have been a few times while living in Upstate NY it may have been helpful. ;)
    Does anybody know when the 2007 Silverado Classic is coming out? I was at my local dealership trying to make a decision on 06 EXT-Cab Z71 and I asked my salesman for a "book" on the Silverado. She said she couldn't find an 06 book and said I could look at the brochure for the 07 Silverado Classic.

So my main point is that if they already have the 07 books, are they close to getting the 07 Silverado Classics on the dealerships?
    The 2007 Classics are already on the lots around here (Mass). They should be arriving at a dealer near you soon.
  • gmcjoegmcjoe Member Posts: 11
    Let me assume you have a new body style truck (since you say you changed your cabin filters). On a 2000 the blower resistor is located on the HVAC assembly near the blower motor. Remove the cover on the bottom of the HVAC assembly by loosening the three 7 mm hex head screws. Once the cover is removed, if you were sitting in the passenger seat, your right foot would point to the blower resistor. The wiring harness uses a connector that has seven wires in an in-line configuration. The wire colors are tan, yellow, purple, light blue, black, orange and orange. When mounted in the HVAC assembly, the actual resistors are in the blower's air flow, to help dissipate heat. Hope this helps.
    If they are calling it a "Classic" is that NOT the new body style that's coming?
    No, it's the old body style, a carryover from 2006.
    It's definitely the same as the 2006. I have a brochure and some of the pages are exactly the same as they are in the 2006 brochure, including the front page.

I'm guessing Chevy has a bunch of parts left and aren't ready with the "new" 2007 model so they are just selling 2006 trucks and calling them 2007. I don't mean anything wrong by that statement. And, I'm not saying Chevy is wrong. I'm just saying the 07 Classic is exactly the same as the 06.

Erik
This discussion has been closed.