Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chevy Silverado/GMC Sierra - Owners hangout

1104105106107108110»

Comments

• KCRamKCRam Member Posts: 3,516
    This is not a new practice by any means. GM did the same thing nearly 20 years ago with the new Chevy/GMC (C/k) being sold alongside the old body (renamed R/V series). Ford has domne this with the last two F-150 designs (F-150 Heritage).

kcram - Pickups Host
  • txyank1txyank1 Member Posts: 1,010
    Gotcha, Thanks. Didn't think the new ones were here yet. ;)
  • grabowskygrabowsky Member Posts: 74
    Why does my gas tank have a radiator in front of it?
  • dagoreddagored Member Posts: 13
    Why does the chevy truck series have such a problem with the lights. one running light or a head light always seems to be out. What is going on and how can I fix it? :mad:
    I haven't seen to many headlights out, but you can fix the DRL problem by replacing with a bulb that has a "LL" suffix. Stands for "Long Life", or "Long-Lasting". I've been using them since the new'99s came out and am yet to have one burn out.
  • erik_werik_w Member Posts: 4
    I just got a 06 Silverado Z71 Ext-cab. Silver Birch Metallic exterior with dark charcoal leather interior. The truck I bought was a fully-loaded with the 3LT package. I'm pretty damn happy with the price, too. It stickered for $35,900 and I paid $27,400 after rebates. I also got the 5 yr/100,000 mile warranty.

So does anybody have any advice on taking care of this rig? Can the oil % used monitor be trusted or should I just get an oil change every 3000 miles?

Thanks in advance...
    Erik
  • gmctruckgmctruck Member Posts: 186
    Same here.... I used the "LL" rated Amber lights in my DRL's. My truck is a '99 Sierra and I haven't lost a DRL bulb since I made the switch many years ago.
  • dagoreddagored Member Posts: 13
    I think I am using LL lights also. I will have to check. thanks
    What does "GMC" stand for? Most people seem to think it stands for General Motors Company. The only problem with that is GM itself won't say if that's correct or not. I once read it stands for Grabowsky Motor Company,the originators of the brand. GM says the name of the original company was Rapid Motor Company. Any ideas? I'm sorry this post isn't about freaking out about a simple problem like DRLs. :)
  • geo9geo9 Member Posts: 735
    Check out this link:
    http://www.gm.com/company/corp_info/history/gmhis1900.html

Max and Morris Grabowsky built their first truck in 1900. In 1902, they organized the Rapid Motor Vehicle Company and began production to build one-ton trucks. This company was the beginning of GMC Trucks.
    Thanks for the info but I'm aware of GMs verion of the history. What I want to know is what does GMC stand for?
  • aik262aik262 Member Posts: 9
    the % meter is pretty good, do a lot of city driving, around 3000 it will say change oil, but open road, mine didn't say change oil for 12000 miles, just depends on your driving habits. aik262
  • wgreenwgreen Member Posts: 17
  • wgreenwgreen Member Posts: 17
    Does a locking rear differential have any effect on RPMS at a given speed or overall gas mileage?
    Am looking at new 1500 models and a lot of them come with this option,don't want to get one if it is going to decrease the miles per gallon.

thanx
    wgreen
  • gatorfan05gatorfan05 Member Posts: 3
    What will I get more power with, a performance chip, or a power programmer, I was looking at the Superchip MaxMicro Tuner for the programmer?
    Iv got a 01 5.3 liter z71
  • obyoneobyone Member Posts: 7,841
    and who's doing the programming.....
    I read about the superchip microtuner. It said it was easy, had three settings (economy, performance, and ultra performance) and u could adjust shifting and all that. But i dont know if thats better or if i can just buy a chip to put in like for diesels.
  • thompson1223thompson1223 Member Posts: 3
    I dont know if its bent or if its something else because when i hit the brakes the noise goes away?? can anybudy help me out
  • jerrymcshane1jerrymcshane1 Member Posts: 195
    FRESH OFF THE PRESS FROM MOTOR WEEK MAGAZINE:

http://www.gminsidenews.com/forums/showthread.php?t=34507
    The NEW engines are a year off as is the 6 speed tranny combo. The track system in the bed is a clone of Nissan's ingenious setup EXCEPT GM and their ego's would NOT allow the spray on bedliner to be included. DUMB, DUMB and DUMBER.
  • bgunnz15bgunnz15 Member Posts: 6
    Hey... If anybody can help me.. I had my check engine light come on and i came up with the code P1416... Is this a major or minor problem?.. What can be wrong and how easy is it too fix?... I dont want to go to the dealership!!! If i can get some help it would be greatly appreciative.. Thank You
  • bballabballa Member Posts: 56
    code P1416 is a problem with the air check valve passenger side. What happened before the engine light came on, did you hit a pot hole that gave the truck a huge jolt. That is what happened to me a couple of years ago.
    So all i would have to do is replace the Air Check Valve? I just bought one at the dealership today and i havent had a chance to put it in... Thank You for the help bballa!!!
  • bballabballa Member Posts: 56
    What was the cost for the part? Mine was done under warranty. I just had the SES light go on yesterday. The code was P1415, drivers side air check valve. I cleared the codes and the light has not come back on. I am hoping that is the end of it.
    Hey sorry i couldnt respond.. But the part was 45$.. i am just having trouble taking the part off.. any suggestions... the difficult part is take the metal clamps off of the hose and not breaking the air line.. If you can please help... thank you
    No. You're right, it seems MOST come with the locker.
    Why is it that this particular forum is so damn lame? The Ford and Dodge forums aren't this stupid. Are their just nothing but women here?Hinges?Gas milelage on a truck? Are you all fems? Not that there's anything wrong with that! :confuse:
  • cccnealcccneal Member Posts: 3
    I had 300lbs in the back of my 04, 2500 silverado the other day. The truck road better than normal. Any thoughts about putting a heavier bumper on the back to give me a smoother ride and still keeping the bed free? Any idea on what the weight of the stock bumper is?
  • hws49hws49 Member Posts: 3
    Too funny grabowsky.
    Maybe us Chevy owners have a stronger feminine side than Ford/Chrysler owners?
    I dunno, but I find myself worrying about the upholstery stitching color a lot lately...hmmm.
    There is nothing wrong with being concerned about stitching color!I just wish GM would offer some pastel colors in their truck...
  • cccnealcccneal Member Posts: 3
    You did not answer my question on the bumper weight?
    I'd think that replacing the stock shocks and adding royal velvet shackels would do better in the mileage department rather than hauling around extra weight.
  • dutcheedutchee Member Posts: 4
    anyone know why i cant get my power windows on my 2002 silverado 3500 dually to go up. i have tried the fuses nothing blown there is there a switch or fuse that i cant find

Thanks
  • Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
    A national newspaper is looking to interview consumers who have decided to hold on to their current pickup truck, rather than purchasing a new one. Please send an e-mail to ctalati@edmunds.com no later than Wednesday, August 9, 2006 by 2:30 PM PT/5:30 PM ET containing your daytime contact information and what pickup truck you currently own.
    With Ford one can NOT get the fatory 20" tires on the extended cab 5.5' box. ONLY on beds that are 6.5'. I wonder if one will be able to order an extended cab Sierra 4WD 1500 with 20" factories on the SHORTEST bed model with the new 900 platfrom series?
  • p100p100 Member Posts: 1,116
    Suggest you get sheepskin covers for those front leather seats ASAP! If the seat quality is the same as on my neighbor's '04 Z71 (which he bought new), you will not be very happy. The leather on the seats started cracking after only a few months, and they looked like a cow chewed them up and spat them back out.
    Not a single post since 22 of August? Yes, this forum is as lame as a forum gets.
  • grawlinsongrawlinson Member Posts: 1
    Does anyone here know if it's possible to swap out the manual climate control in an '05 with the automatic from an '03. Those evil people at the dealership loaned me an '07 with all the bells and whistles when mine was in the shop, now my wife wants me to look into upgrading the climate control in our '05. :)
  • jnealjneal Member Posts: 247
    Almost anything is possible given sufficent money and time......
    In this case however I would think that it would be far easier and probably about as cheap to trade in the "05 on a "07. Plus it sounds like you already have the 'other half's' approval :)
  • shiftlessshiftless Member Posts: 40
    Obyone,
    What is your opinion of Michelin LTX M/S tires regarding ride comfort, milage performance, handling performance, tire pressure and any other comments you can make comparing: P265-75-16 & LT265-75-16 ("C" rating) on a 2K Sierra short bed, standard cab? The bed is fairly heavily loaded with tools most of the time. My daily commute is short but most weekends involve several hundred miles of hi way travel.

Ed
    I had LTX M/S tires (LT215/85R16E) on my 96 Ram dually, outstanding performance. I put over 55,000 on them in just 3 years, and they still had tread left. They even held their own in light to moderate snow.

kcram - Pickups Host
    The "P" tire will give better ride results. I'm assuming you have a 1500 series truck. If that's the case, I don't see any benefit from owning a LT series tire since the weight rating of the P series exceeds the max load for the truck.
  • vickery8vickery8 Member Posts: 3
    I recently purchased a 2006 gmc sierra crew cab 2wd and I have a vibration or bounce that comes in just above 40mph. It turns into more of a vibration at 50 and above. I think it is related to the aluminum driveshaft. GMC is saying they are working on new body mounts to stop the problem.Anyone else have this problem and know what to do to fix it?
    If your truck came with factory General tires, I would start looking there and replace the tires with Michelin LTX M/S. These General tires are of such horrible quality that some Silverado owners insisted on another brand of tires when the tires were repeatedly replaced by dealers under warranty for various vibration problems.

Who determined that your driveshaft is the root cause of the problem? I have the same aluminum driveshaft on my '06 crew cab Z71 and no vibration. If the driveshaft is bent or out of balance, it should be replaced/rebalanced. That's not that hard to figure out. As for body mounts being the culprit, I have not heard that.

As you may have noticed, we are reorganizing the Forums to allow better focus and easier searching when you have a particular problem or comment about any given vehicle. Many of the large generic discussions (like this one) will be closed to new posts, and we ask that you continue in the more focused discussions that you can find at the Group page for the vehicle, linked below. This discussion will not be deleted, so you can still search for information in it.

We recognize this is going to take some getting used to (for the hosts too!), so please bear with us. If you have any questions, you can always email the host of any discussion - the link is at the top of each page to the host who oversees that discussion.

If you don't see a discussion in the group appropriate to your question or comment, start a new one, or send me an email, and I'll point you in the right direction!

Thanks!
    kcram - Pickups Host

Chevy Silverado/GMC Sierra Group
This discussion has been closed.