Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chevy Silverado/GMC Sierra - Owners hangout

Comments

• hunter98hunter98 Member Posts: 273
    Email me and I will give you the new "Home" location RYAN and everyone else.

jaredhunter@yahoo.com

Hunter
  • bcobco Member Posts: 756
    more "out" than "hang" 'round here. good call to the "powers that be" in town hall. let's set up a hangout for people to just "chat". looks like it's working out pretty well. LOL. hehehe.

did someone say...ghost town??? ;)

bco
  • hillhoundhillhound Member Posts: 537
    Hey I just got a 2001 Silv Ext Cab 1500 4x4 with 5300 and 4.10. Really like it so far. Traded in Dodge Ram 1500 with 318 and I love the increased power!! The salesman tried to talk me into the 4800 but I said what the h*ll & went all the way. The 4800 alone blew away the 318 anyway!
    I had alot of trouble with that Ram but it was fun to drive. Hope the Chevy holds up good. This is my first ext cab truck (wife's idea) but I'm starting to like it.
    The posts about the guys not paying attention to what the truck has when they buy it cracks me up. My dad's neighbor bought a Ranger a few years ago (great deal) and was real happy with it until my dad asked how you put it in 4wd!
    haha. Seems it was missing that little feature. Anyway the dealer took it back with no major consequences.
    Catch y'all later...
  • dch0300dch0300 Member Posts: 472
    Congratulations !!!!!
    The 2001 Silverado's seem to be built quite well.
    I got my Z-71 ext-cab in Dec '00 (truck born on 12/6/00)
    and my dad got his Z-71 ext-cab in Jan '01 (truck born on 11/14/00) .
    Like son like father, I guess.
    Neither of us have had any problems and no regrets.
    They are really great trucks.

I got in a stop light race the other day with a fwd V6 Camary.
    I lost because when I stepped on the gas, both back tires broke loose, and I laid a pair of 20' patches of tire mark on the dry pavement behind me. I had to get off the gas to get traction again. I did catch back up to it again, but couldn't pass it because our two lane road merged into one lane. The 5.3L has a lot of power. Maybe I should try that in 4wd next time.

Enjoy the ride......
    -David
    I think the guy in the Camry might have been a little red-faced if your tires had held! Glad to hear your Z71s are doing good.
    Later!
  • almost16almost16 Member Posts: 1
    Cant wait, I turn 16 in February. I will most likely get my first truck in March or April. Im thinking about getting Silverado 1500 Ext. Cab. Flowmasters and everything it is gonna be a sweet ride. I'm counting down the days till i get this truck. If my parents want to squander a little more cas it will be 4x4 and flare sides. Got any tips on how to make this truck run sweeter.
    Consider yourself lucky that your parents are going to buy you a New truck of that price range especially at 16. Drive carefully not carelessly to avoid accidents. You will have to watch where you park to avoid getting dings or scratches, and won't fit in some parking spots. Take it easy on the throttle in the fact that these trucks love to rev and run fast. You really don't need any mods with the 5.3L but if you feel the need, Exaust, K&N air induction, Synthetic motor oil is where most go to and stop. Should put the HP just over 300 compared to the stock 285.

Best of Luck

Hunter

2000 GMC 1500 Ext Cab SLT 4x4
  • rgmaxxrgmaxx Member Posts: 2
    Hello All... I have a 1999 GMC Sierra 1500 Ex. Cab 4X4 5.3L. The motor will use ~2 Quarts of oil (5W-30W) every 5,000mi. I have had the dealer check the situation and they gave me a GM Technical Bulletin that says this level of consumption is within "acceptable" (HA!) limits.

The truck doesn't smoke at all, there is some liter noise when at idol. The truck has 34,000mi on it now its done this from new.

Has anyone experienced this problem, how can I get the motor fixed while its still under warranty... Help!

Thanks in advance.
  • mgdvhmanmgdvhman Member Posts: 4,157
    ...they get new cars...or a lease right from the get go.....what happended to late night working on the rod to get it going again by class time the next day with the new cam you put in that night?

..what happened to the youth working!?

Oh well

- Tim
  • 87lion87lion Member Posts: 166
    I wasn't allowed to get a license until I was 17. Then I had to pay my own insurance and gas, and even then could only drive the family car occasionally. I finally got the family car to share with my brother when Mom got a new car. By then it was so rusted I redid the two rear wheel wells with galvanized sheet, replaced one door with a junk yard door and redid about the bottom third of another door with sheet metal and White Magic.

I think Hunter said it well in post 58. Appreciate it, take care of it and drive responsibly,
  • smart99smart99 Member Posts: 48
    I hear you. I remember the old days with a Mustang that should have been scrap. With everything given to them and these young whippersnappers with their pierced dingos and tatoos, it's no wonder we're all rolling down hill like a snowball headed for hell.
    ...good one

I know a 19 year old.....on his 3rd lease...never fixed a car....knows nothing about everything

My first car was $300.....then $500...Then $1500!

All bought by me.....never was on Pops insurance...paid thru the nose.....he figured I'd be the bad one....so sis got to be on his insurance.....guess who racked up cars?

- Tim
    ...and I was hesitant to buy a 30k+ truck at the age of 35? When I was 16 I promise you my ol' man knew better than to trust me with anything more than the family Chevette and then only when he was in a good mood!
    Lets' see: 16yrs+4500 lbs steel+285hp=...well you figure it out.
  • obyoneobyone Member Posts: 7,841
    Live hard, die young, and leave a good looking corpse.

That being said, I read Edmunds special on young drivers today. The statistics are not in their favor. Check out the links:

http://www.edmunds.com/safety/focusonsafety/teendriversafetyseries/44908/index.html

http://www.edmunds.com/safety/focusonsafety/teendriversafetyseries/44877/index.html

http://www.edmunds.com/editorial/features/factorstoconsiderwhenchoosingyourteenag/42966/index.html

young drivers don't know the true feel of a car and don't have the experience to counter steer..etc..when it goes out of control......I found out the hard way what happens when you slam the barkes on in snow...(long before ABS was popular) in a tank of a car!.....missed a tree by a hair...right before I ended facing the wrong way in the ditch!

..and then they think they can handle the speed....course they know it all ya know...

- Tim
    I like RYAN am 21. We both OWN our trucks and have them PAID for by us Working. Both of us saved money towards a truck before we bought it. I drove a 88 towncar. Bought a 92 towncar. Read about new Chevy trucks didn't jump the gun and buy a ford. Kept saving, 1st to order at local dealership, took 4 months. Bought a 99 GMC New, traded for 4k for a 2000 4 dr. Finally got it paid off. I earned it. Pay my own insurance, gas, ect. I have never been in an accident in either truck. When I was 16-17 got rear ended several times with the 88 towncar and got hit in the Rear right Fender at the High School (NOT A GOOD PLACE FOR A NEW VEHICLE). 92 no accidents 1 ticket, spinning or squealing tires. (Had had a bad day at school). Never gotten a speeding ticket. Drive 5-10 over. Occasionally up to 25 over if in a "Pack". I consider myself a safe driver and concentrate on that. I find myself wanting more low end torque rather than HP in my old"er" years. Don't partically care how fast it goes if I got to rev it past 3500. Want instantaneos response without downshifting. Can you say 8100 or Duramax. Oh well a younger person can do well as a driver but from the people I have seen those who have succeeded the best worked for it. And those who had the Car/Insurance/Gas bought for them ended up in the ditch. Or without the right to drive for too many tickets.

I wish him luck and wish him well.

May he be a great driver in a great truck!

Hunter
    have no clue what just being on Pops' insurance means for savings.....Like Ryan!

LOL

- Tim
    I was with a separate company all together for a while. He was SF, I was CC. Now we are both SF, two separate Policies.

Hunter
    I bought my first car back in 1982 when I was 16. It was a 1967 Chevrolet Impala with
    a 396 c.i. V-8. Cost me $800 for it, paid for my own insurance, gas, and maintenance too. Didn't want to spend too much money on a car since I was going to college in a few years and had to pay for it myself.
    Spent a few nights under her hood getting the heads rebuilt, and tweeking the carb.
    And spent many more months fixing up her interior and exterior.....two-tone (French Blue / Corvette White).
    .......good times.

I'll post a picture of it next week.
    -David
  • dead1dead1 Member Posts: 3
    a 2000 Chevy Silverado, as this is the latest year that has the manual transmission with the 4.8. I prefer manual transmission vehicles. I was wondering if anyone has any comments on this. I am new to the news group and have read about some of the problems w/the Silverado, especially the vibration problem. Does anyone think that it is a good idea to still buy this truck even though it may have these problems?
    Take a long test drive to be safe.
  • truckchictruckchic Member Posts: 105
    Hi Everyone - Truckchic here! Back online finally. My computer at work had major malfunctions, so I was unable to check messages here for quite some time!

To Recap - Nov 11, 2000 I picked up my Brand New 2001 GMC Sierra 4WH 4door Z71. I am loving it. Best purchase I ever made! No Problems to report. Had one glitch, the security light came on for about 5 minutes while I was driving one night and the manual said that it could mean there is a problem with the passlock theft system. The light went off when I got it home and parked in the garage, and hasn't come back on since. But, I will mention it to the dealers on my oil change next week.

I have a question. Does anyone have the Pace-Edwards roll & Lock cover for the bed? I am still interested in getting this but need some more info, like in the Chicago area, how much should I expect to pay. Funny story to this: I found a truck here in our parking lot at work and it has the cover I want, so I'm trying to track down the owner of the truck! I saw someone driving a pickup with this cover and I almost followed them to find out about it - how desperate is that! The older gentlemen in the truck probably would have thought I was hitting on him....hehehe.

Thanks everyone. Im open for your suggestions and comments!

Truckchic!
  • mledtjemledtje Member Posts: 1,123
    Who told you the 4.8L 5spd is not available? It is still listed on the Chevy and GMC websites, and it seems unlikely they would drop it.

It is not available on an LT version, that model comes with a 5.3L automatic.

All that aside, the 4.8L 5spd is a great combination. I have one (for sale) in addition to my 2500 6.0L 5spd.

Mike L
  • dead1dead1 Member Posts: 3
    is not available on the 2001, 4.8 litre any longer, from the dealer and from various websites. I think it says so on carpoint.com and edmunds also. Let me know if this is incorrect.
  • ricschricsch Member Posts: 540
    Has anyone seen the new composite bed on the trucks yet, or is GM having difficulties getting them out?
    Can you tell if it's composite by looking at it?
  • pocahontaspocahontas Member Posts: 802
    Well in case you didn't notice, the participant truck picture at the top was removed. Because pictures slow down the download process..., we'll no longer be having that feature in at the top of any of our Town Hall discussions.

A special thanks to ryanbab and obyone for their participation in this effort..., as well as to those of you that emailed me their truck pictures.

In the meantime, I think some of you might be pleased to know that Edmund's is taking requests for people that would be interested in having their vehicle pictures posted right onto the Town Hall front page.

If you're interested, here's direct link to the place where you can submit links to your truck photos: Showcase Your Vehicle in Town Hall! You'll also find a direct link to this application on the Town Hall main page; look for it on the lower right corner where it says "Town Hall notes." Okay?

Thanks for your participation! ;-)

Pocahontas

Host

Pickups Message Board

do we receive any "modeling" fees? Curious mind wants to know. TIA ;-)
    talk about kissing up to your customers...

- Tim
  • user20user20 Member Posts: 4
    Folks - I'm getting ready to purchase an 01' GMC
    Sierra ex-cab 2WD truck. I have not yet reached
    a decision on which combination of engine/rear-end to buy; they are 4.8/3.42|3.73 or 5.3/3.42|3.73. I have driven the 4.8 and 5.3 but not under any taxing conditions (big hills). I'll be using the truck for mainly driving around town and trips to the mountains during the summer (actually big mountains/long grades - the sierras). I will be towing a small boat (~1500lbs) - this will be infrequent though.
    I will probably not be taking the boat to the mountain though.
    In the short test drives that I made I really noticed that the 4.8/3.42 seemed to shift and drive much smother (more like a car?).
    I actually really liked the way it performed. I have not driven the 5.3/3.42. I did use a 5.3/3.73 for a weekend last summer - it felt like it was always in low gear (my current truck has a 3.08 rear-end; maybe I'm just too accustomed to this) . I'm not worried about re-sale value since I plan on keeping the truck for many years (>10).

I would like to get the best gas mileage - and towing capability is not a big issue. Probably my greatest concern is acceleration and lugging up long grades. Any advice or experience would be welcome!

This is my first posting. I have really gained a lot of valuable information from the great posts here -

Thanks
  • worktomuch1worktomuch1 Member Posts: 3
    i have a 99 serria slt 1500 ordered a new 01 2500hd 11/27 no build date yet sould know soon does anyone have any info on delivery dates how long after build date all info would be great!thanks p.s. first timmer
    You will feel the difference between the 4.8 and 5.3 when towing. Only a daily basis, not much of a difference. Seems that the 4.8 comes with the 3.42 and the 5.3 comes with the 3.73 flavors when bought off the lot. I have the 5.3/3.73 and wouldn't swap it for the world. Well maybe if they put the 8.1 in a 1500. I don't tow and carry only groceries in the bed of the truck....
  • ckulusckulus Member Posts: 24
    I have a 2001 Silverado Ext Cab, 2WD, 5.3L with 3.43. I have 1700 miles on it, and am getting 20 miles to a gallon at this point. I have the factory installed tonneau cover and about 75% of ny driving is at 45 miles/hour. I am expecting the gas mileage to go up when I convert to synthetic oil, take out the 200 lbs I have in the bed for additional traction, and summer comes.
    When I was researching my truck I debated between the 4.8 and the 5.3, my friends who have more experience than I said to go for the 5.3. If you look at the EPA ratings you will see that the 4.8 is only rated at 1 mpg better. In running the 5.3 it seems to me that I am barely taxing it and I like having the additional power when I have to get out into traffic or make a pass.
    Test drive the 5.3 and see what you think. What I did was test drive a 4.8 and a 5.3 at the same time. I took the 4.8 out and, then took the 5.3 over the same route, then took the 4.8 out again, and what a difference! This really convinced me to for the 5.3 and I am glad I did.

Chet Kulus
    I'm on my way this very minute to try out a 5.3/3/43. Although I reallllllly want a GMC - this
    config that I want seems far and few between, yet
    there seems to be many more Chevy's with this
    config, so .. I'm actually going down the Chevy
    dealer to test it out. Still part of the GM family!
    I will report my findings - I hope I can
    recall the details of my drive in the 4.8. If the
    difference is small this is going to be tough. I will report my conclusions.

Thanks
  • trw3trw3 Member Posts: 35
    A guy I work with has a pace roll top w/the electric motor,I believe he got it at cost because his buddy ownes the business "Big Boys Toys" I think its in Dwight,IL (south west of Chicago) cost was 1100.00 retail was 1400.00 Its got some nice features but is a little salty for me. Good luck!!!
    3.43? What is that? It is either 3.42 or 3.73 or. 4.10. So when referencing 3.43 which do you mean?
    You are correct, it should read 5.3/3.42. I don't
    know how I got started with the 3.43.

Thank You
  • phillipmphillipm Member Posts: 32
    Has anyone taken delivery of a new gmc sierra c-3? If so, how well does the all-wheel drive work and what kind of gas mileage are you getting with the 6.0 motor and the 3:73 gears? Any info. will be appreciated. Thanks, PM.
  • gonzo7gonzo7 Member Posts: 259
    User 20- I'm also shopping for a 2001 SLE Ext Cab
    2wd.
    I'm curious what MPG 4.8 owners are getting. I'd like to have the 5.3 power but I'm trying to keep it cheap.

The dealers seem pretty motivated to sell- I was quoted $1000 under invoice.
    $26176 sticker- they offered it for $22341- I'm going to ask for them to throw in a bedliner too. How doet that price sound?
    Thats a great price! We have a $1,000 rebate here
    on the west coast + the $500 GM rebate. I have been getting quotes @ invoice (- rebates of course). Maybe I should be trying harder. Unfortunately I only have 3 days until the 1k rebate expires. I have one more test run to make with a 4.8L then thats it - need to make my decision. Right now I'm still leaning toward the 5.3. I will know the outcome by the end of today.
    I have a 2WD x-cab LB with the 4.8 and auto. I consistently get 21-22 highway and 17-18 in mixed driving. I haven't towed anything but have done a fair amount of hauling and am happy with the power. I also have a mid-high cap which weighs about 200 lb. but probably reduces drag.
    If that's $1000 under invoice and then subtract rebates that is a fantastic price. What a difference a year makes. Last year I got $300 over invoice and norebates and thought I got a good deal. Go buy a truck. And have fun!
  • gonzo7gonzo7 Member Posts: 259
    I'd really rather find a used one so I don't have to pay $2K of taxes and plates.
    But...I have read a lot about annoyances in 99 and 2000 models that GM has seemed to have fixed.
    Anyway, while I wait, I've been e-mailing local dealers about new prices.
    The best yet is $500 under invioce, plus I keep the $500 factory rebate, plus, they'll include a free bedliner.
  • emptyempty Member Posts: 14
    EPA rated at a disappointing 11/14. Expected better than 2500[LD] because C3 doesn't use the 4L80E transmission that's supposed to be a power sink. MPG sounds similar to what folks got driving around in 4WD all the time.

Maybe it's just me, but on this list of gas guzzlers, one of the vehicles doesn't seem to be in the same class at the others.

• willimjowillimjo Member Posts: 73
    The C3 is AWD, it's exactly like driving around in 4WD all the time - and hence the mileage rating.
    also, if i remember right...it comes standard with the 6.0L vortec. that's gonna drop your mileage a bit too.

bco
    Pocahontas,

There are already too many Chevy truck discussion topics.

All the real Chevy Truck discussions are still taking place in Chevy Silverado - Continued XVII. Always have been....always will be. It's like a tradition now, ever since it began years ago. Even if we do deviate from the exact intent of the title, the posts have been very beneficial to many people.

This topic is dead and should be deleted.

-David
    The less and more active topics the better, it allows everyone to see and they can skip over posts that wander a bit.

Hunter
    you vill all be kviet now! der vill be NO more discussion ov closing topics we have opened. der vill be no deviation from stated topics. zis forum exists for people to learn, not participate! stop railing against our authority at once...or pay ze penalties. zat vill be all!

zincerely...ze management
    Now let me see, if I want to talk about Chevrolet Silverado trucks (in general) I can go to one of the following topics......

1. Roadside Cafe: Your Place to hang out and talk.
    -or-
    2. Truck Stop: Pickup discussion.
    -or-
    3. Chevy Silverado / GMS Sierra - Owners hangout.
    -or-
    4. Chevy Silverado - Continued XVII

....but which one do I chose? I don't want to have to post my statements on all 4 do I?

I do have a 2001, so maybe I should only be posting in topic "Chevy Silverado (2001)", unless I'm talking about accessories, then should it be topic "Chevy Silverado Accessories", unless it is an accessory to fix a problem then should it be topic "Chevy Silverado Problems", but then what is the definition of a problem?

I'm so confused.....not all good information on a Chevy Silverado that is given out by the knowledgable participants is posted in all the possible "correct" topics.

Guess I just have to read them all to find information.....(gulp).....even the Tundra vs. the World topics.

-David
This discussion has been closed.