Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chevy Silverado/GMC Sierra - Owners hangout

Comments

• lmbarberlmbarber Member Posts: 14
    I was going to buy a 2001 Lightning. Then read about the leaking Intercooler and some other related problems. Then I had the idea about ordering a 2001 or 2002 Sierra with sportside box, 5.3L, and all the other goodies. Then massage the suspension, chip the engine, add a decent intake and exhaust. Add some nice wheels and rubbber. Maybe even supercharge it. I dunno.
    Well, any thoughts?
  • obyoneobyone Member Posts: 7,841
    i like the supercharger idea the best.
  • ricschricsch Member Posts: 540
    Yes, have an ARE hardcover on the bed. Is this in response to where I could mount the compressor? If so, it appears that the compressor unit would be small enough possibly to mount on a frame rail.
    more like on the floor of the bed closest to the cab.
  • skid3skid3 Member Posts: 11
    I am looking for a new truck. I like the new Chevy's looks and powertrains. After reading posts here about problems with the Silverado (especially the 2000 model) I have questions. local dealers still have new 2000 Silveradoes on their lots and may be willing to deal.
    Are the engine and suspension problems reported unresolvable and are they common to most?
    I am also trying to find out about real world MPG for unloaded driving. Can anyone report on the 6000 engine with 3.73(?) gears in a 2500 chassis?
    Comments from owners of other engine/drive train combinations are welcome also. Thanks
  • ryanbabryanbab Member Posts: 7,240
    engine and suspension problems???

My experience
    5.3 3.73 ext cab 4x4 (Lt285 tires)
    city: 12-14mpg
    highway: 14-18mpg

Ryan
  • mgdvhmanmgdvhman Member Posts: 4,157
    I own a 2000 2500 with 6.0 and 4:10's.....35K miles.....started out at 12.5MPG..now it's about 14+ MPG

Would do it all over again......and I'm gonna!

- Tim
    yea yea ill believe it when i see it

Ryan
    Oh yeah....it's Babs!...still stuck in the 6800? GVW range!

haha

one step at a time grasshopper........move to a 2500LD at 7200....then I can sell ya mine at 8600GVW....then by the time you are all grown up ....maybe 9200?

LOL

- Tim
  • mrurlmrurl Member Posts: 116
    ... don't have any of the problems you have seen in the 1500. Even in the 1500, those problems are in the minority.

I have a 2000 Sierra 5.3l, 3.73 rear locker 4x2 Excab. Don't let Ryan scare you with his mileage. He only has 2 throttle positions - zero and pedal on the floor. My current average is 16.5 mpg with a high in the highway at 75 mph of 19.9 mpg. Ryan thinks I drive like an old man, but then, so do my kids, who are older than Ryan.

Peter
  • cowboyjohn1cowboyjohn1 Member Posts: 125
    2500HD, 8.1L, Allison, 3.73
    Just went on a 500 mile trip over 4 mountain passes, 6%grade, 70 to 75mph, once over 85, filled with gas just before I left, weight after 125 miles into the trip was just under 7000#. Total trip 13.87 miles per gallon.
    I am very happy with the gas mileage and the pickup.
    cowboyjohn
  • mledtjemledtje Member Posts: 1,123
    2500 - 6.0L 3.73 4x4 5spd (no effect on highway mileage).

14.0 mpg average with popup camper onboard. I'm running right at 7400 lbs loaded. No problems to report.

Mike L
  • doverarjimdoverarjim Member Posts: 23
    My 99 2500, 2wd 6.0l auto, gets average of 14.2 MPG on a 18 mile a day round trip to and from work. On the highway at 75 or better, the best has been 15.7 MPG. Cruise control is by far the best option on this truck, I've had it for just over a year now and it has 28,000 miles on it. Many times I will look at the speedo and see I am at 50 or more in town anytime the road is clear I set the cruise.
    The mileage figures are much better than I expected. I live in a mountanious area and should expect reduced numbers.
    The troubles I referenced are from reading posts on Edmunds Town Hall about Silverado problems. I did not mention sticking rear doors , as I plan to get a regular cab with a long bed. There are many posts about front end vibrations and engine problems. It is good to hear that many of you have no problems.
    no front end vibs
    no engine trouble
    no sticky rear doors
  • dch0300dch0300 Member Posts: 472
    The 2000 Silverado regular cab long bed that you might get, is it going to be a 1500, an LS and have 4 wd too?

-David
    There were two available as of last Saturday. A 2500 LS 4x4 with a Vortex 6000 V8 & 3.73 rear and a 1500 LS 4x4 with a Vortex 5300 V8 & 3.73 rear end.
    I have both a 1500 4x4 and a 2500 4x4. The choice needs to be made base on what you want in a pickup. The 1500 has more of a car like ride and performance. The 2500 rides and performs more like a truck. The 2500 doesn't make a very good commute vehicle, while the 1500 doesn't make a good load hauler (2000+ lbs).

Both trucks work well and do what they are meant to do. You need to decide what you want the truck to do and select the appropriate one.

I think I like my 2500 best, but that may just be because it carries my camper and when I'm driving it I'm going camping.

Mike L
  • greekshootergreekshooter Member Posts: 3
    I haven't had any problems with my wife's 2000 Silverado (1500), Z71, 5.3, 3.73, extended cab, bucket seats,leather and rear locking dif plus tow package. I've done two oil changes so far (11,000 miles). Used Mobil 1 both times. I have to change the transaxle fluid this weekend. will go to synthetic for the rear. I checked the mileage on the interstate when we first got it (wasn't doing much over 55 mph since it was new) and we got close to 20! That is using regular gas. Very surprising. I have added some Westin nerf bars, a removable bedliner, rail caps, and some stuff on the hood and windows. Pleasure to drive. It has the AT Wilderness 265s tires (had it aligned and tires rotated at 7500 miles). I also did a lube job on it myself at 7500. I replaced a few of the grease points with some 90 degree angle jobs so that I can get to them easier. Had to remove the skidpad to get to them. I have the three door model and leather seats. bought some Husky mats for front and rear (they are great). Wife loves it.
    A 2500 makes a perfect commuter....and one of the reasons I chose it..(amongst others)..as it has better handling and control dry than a 1500....something you need in todays traffic.

I'd never get another 1500 again

- Tim
    2500 as a commuter only when carrying a large load. Other than that, like Quad said, the 1500 rides better. But you knew that already. Hehe
  • tomh12tomh12 Member Posts: 240
    Took my 2500ld 4X4 to dealer for free oil change and he gave me a 1500 Z71 4X4 to run errands in while they serviced mine. Have to agree with Tim, I'll take the 2500 for commute or any other purpose anytime! 1500 is way too mushy for me, not to mention how much better the tranny and 6.0 in the 2500 is than the wimpy little light duty tranny and 5.3 in the 1500. Nothing less than the 8600GVW is a real truck. LOL
    Tom
  • whatsachevywhatsachevy Member Posts: 136
    '01 Chevy 2500HD EC 4X4 6.0/4.10 Auto - 3000 miles averaging 13.4 MPG since day one. Highest was 14.9 on highway at 80mph. Rides like a truck, handles like a sports car (even with the stock 245's). It is definitely a truck ride - very stiff. 1500 ride is much softer. I haven't been in a 1500HD so I don't know what the suspension is like but I would guess its more like the 2500. This is a great truck! So far, no problems. Changed oil at 975 miles. Checked oil today and still on full. I change oil every 2500-3000 miles. No plans to use synthetic. I've owned two trucks in my life and both were well over 200,000 when I sold them and neither one used any oil. I don't plan on messing with a good thing. I'll spend my extra money on beer.
    Quad just enjoyed the 1/2 ton ride so much he had to buy a new 2500HD......DOHHHHH!

LOL

- Tim
    and I definitely don't want that in a commuter. Test drove a 2500 HD and a 1500HD. Not sure what you guys are talking about, but I wouldn't trade the way my truck rides for that. But then some like to be shaken like a martini and that's fine too.
    island roads must be nothing like the big city Dean?

haha

- Tim

I'll take a controlled ride...
    Considering the more serious suspension, brakes, engine, trans, frame, etc. the 2500 is a bargain compared to the 1500.

The question still remains - what do you want out of a truck? Drive them both and decide.......or buy them both and decide everyday which one to drive.

Mike L
    99 Silverado 1500 4x4 4.8L 5spd
    00 Silverado 2500 4x4 6.0L 5spd
    Deadhorse, Alaska 6-6-99
  • tomh12tomh12 Member Posts: 240
    Great choice! Only drawback is the security guards needed to keep the radical tree huggers from damaging it. Where's a good Yugo when you need one? LOL
    Tom
    damaging it?

You cant damage a hummer they are industructible hehe

I can just picture obyone driving up the side of a volcano with one of those

Ryan
    My .02, looks like big brother to the ugly Pontiac Aztek, I'd go for a Tahoe or Sub before buying one!
    Curious as to where you mounted the in-cab controller, and where did you mount the compressor, and where did you hook in for power? I decided to go for the in-cab control for the extra $90.
  • jaslon4jaslon4 Member Posts: 15
    why did u have your tires aligned already . i dont see any use of having them aligned with so few of miles
  • truckchictruckchic Member Posts: 105
    Hi everyone! I thought you escaped this site? I haven't checked in for a while because I thought everyone went to gearheadsanyomonous.

Hope everyone is riding good!

Truckchic
    how's your new truck treating you? Any problems, have you added anything to it?
    Received the AirlIft kit today, question on instaling the on-board compressor, actually the gauge/switch unit-where did you install yours? Looks like directly below the power outlets, along the bottom of the dash would work. Any easy access through the firewall for wiring? Also, with using the compressor, would I have to install the fill valves? I was hoping to eliminate this step.
  • txyank1txyank1 Member Posts: 1,010
    I just found out that the company I work for has a deal whereby I qualify for GM's Supplier Discount pricing. They don't tell us exactly what that is, only that it's 4% over what a GM Employee can buy for. Anybody know how that relates to Invoice or MSRP? Is it really that much off?
    its a good deal no haggling.

For example

my trucks MSRP was almost $33K it was like $32800

It came out after the supplier deal to be like $27 something. It was like $4500 off the MSRP.

Came out to be like $500 under invoice for me.

Request the form (forget the number) it has all the details on it.

Ryan
  • truckchictruckchic Member Posts: 105
    Hi ! Truck is treating me good - except for the bumpers have started rusting - after 4 month! Contacted the dealer, at first they were very reluctant so they wanted to put a sealer on them so I said, okay I'll let you do what you want, then I'll bring it back in 4 months when it starts rusting again and you can put new ones on
    then.
    Called to schedule the appointment for the 'sealer' and was told, Oh, we ordered you new bumper from a new supplier with a new coating on it. (Funny, there must have been other complaints the way they changed their tune so quickly).

So, I still need to call and see if the bumpers came in yet and schedule and appointment. I've been traveling with work a lot so it's been tough.

Haven't added anything yet. Saving up for the roll and lock cover. For now, I'm looking at a bed mat.

Truckchic
    Thanks Ryan. I've submitted the info. and am waiting for the form to arrive.

john
    ...it sounds like a lot off..but nobody buys for more than $500 over invoice.(average about 2-3 hundred over)....much less MSRP......unless you live in Hawaii!

Sorry Dean

haha

- Tim

but still.....it's a discount!
    and no haggling whatsoever

made it very stress free
    stress in buying anything.....so I really don't know what ya mean Pal?

LOL

what's to worry?...you get your car....you pay for it. How can people worry about a car purchase? If you are getting crap from the guy.....go to the next dealer. Pretty simple.

- Worry free Tim
    -worry free tim?

yea right then how come your sweating the details about the bar with mike? Are you gonna go elsewhere if his price is high?
    Now the only thing to worry about is WHAT you've bought! Get a good one or a lemon.
  • thomasb2thomasb2 Member Posts: 5
    Ordered a 2500hd 4wd ex. cab long bed AS on 4/7/01 from Poulin Chevy in Rochester, NH.. Best people you could ever hope to deal with. Took delivery on 6/15/01. So far only 800 miles on it and I am very pleased. I have a very slight stumbling/hesitation just off idle but it is barely noticeable and I will monitor this for now. Very happy with the 6.0's power and acceleration as well as the performance of the 4L80E auto. First tank gas mileage was 12.2 mpg. Second tank fuel mileage up to 12.67 mpg both tanks were mixed driving but more city than highway by far(70/30 ratio as a guess)I purchased this truck for commuting and plowing/towing. I could not justify the extra cost for the 8.1/ Alli combo and honestly I don't think the front end and u-joints would survive very long with the monsterous torque of the big block.I thought about the diesel but you can not get VYU plow prep and diesel together( you can not get the plow prep on the LT either!)Will keep you all posted.
    not a lemon
    Ever since 1988 these things won't stay tight. I've always put a dab of silicone sealer on the threads. Have you noticed how they finally fixed it? They put a reminder in the owner's manual to check and tighten periodically! Gotta give them GM Engineers credit.
    Sweat the details?

Mike and I are farr beyond the price...(which is a very good one)

I haven't heard from him since wednesday though?.....probably busy. I respect his right to do other things than my project!

LOL

.....I think I ticked him off with too much humor last week....but I'm pretty sure we be all back on track?

Mike's a good guy I am looking forward to meeting......Like you Ryan!....so come on over in August Pal!

- Tim
  • vusicvusic Member Posts: 53
    I have a 2001 Sierra 1500. I was informed by the Dealer that the computer system tells me when to change the oil.
    I had them change the oil at 3000 miles although the "change oil" light was not activated. The truck is now at 4400 miles and the "change oil" light flashes 3 times at start up. I know that I am not in need of oil. The dealer claims that they did indeed change the oil and informed me how to deactivate the light. The light still flashes at start up. I an taking it to the dealer but wondered if there were any insights in this forum.
    Any input?
This discussion has been closed.