Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Did you get a great deal? Let us know in the Values & Prices Paid section!
Meet your fellow owners in our Owners Clubs

Chevy Silverado/GMC Sierra - Owners hangout

Comments

• hillhoundhillhound Posts: 537
    You didn't mention if you would be getting 4wd or 2wd. My advice on the engines is for 2wd go with the 4.8. For 4wd go with the 5.3, especially if you plan on towing anything with the truck. I honestly couldnt tell much difference in the two engines but a guy who has owned both trucks with both engines tells me there is a marked difference if you are pulling or hauling any kind of weight.
  • jaguar0027jaguar0027 Posts: 387
    other theory though....

you can't buy too much truck......but you can buy too little..

you can buy extra and not use it...but it's kinda hard to buy less and try to "find" more....

I'd go with a 5.3/3:73

- Tim

WELL PUT MY MAN!!!!!!!!

Jim
  • mgdvhmanmgdvhman Posts: 4,162
    I raise one to ya

- Tim
  • obyoneobyone Posts: 8,054
    time on ya hands....muahahahaha!!!
    I resemble that!

LOL

heck..I wish

- Tim
  • 87lion87lion Posts: 166
    I've got the 4.8L/3.42 2WD x-cab LB and am very happy with it. I've hauled a fair amount of stuff in the bed as I've moved twice since December, once cross country. I've averaged about 18 mpg in mixed driving and about 21 highway.
  • eric2001eric2001 Posts: 482
    But I already agreed with you can't have too much (8.1-Alli), but it is growing old having to stop at every gas station around... Starting to think my truck has stock in the oil companies. LOL
    -Eric
    much more stopping than a 6.0...if any?

- Tim
  • maringamaringa Posts: 36
    Thanks everyone for their input on gear ratio's/engine size. (By the way, I'm didn't specify that I wanted a 2WD drive - don't plan to do any off-road driving). I'm leaning towards the 4.8 liter / 3.42 ratio, however after visiting many of the local dealerships (Dallas/Ft. Worth area), there aren't any 4.8 liter / 3.42 SLT's, only 5.3 liter / 3.42 SLT's. Maybe there will be more 4.8's when the 2002's come out, because the 2001's are almost gone due to heavy discounts in the area (up to $7,000 off MSRP w/rebates).
  • mledtjemledtje Posts: 1,123
    Most dealers don't stock 4.8L engines. The 5.3 costs more and they make more profit on them. I had to order my 4.8.

A 2001 5.3 discounted heavily is probably a better deal than a 2002 4.8. And I have and like the 4.8.

Mike L
  • truckchictruckchic Posts: 105
    Since you already got all the technical advise, I'll let you know my experience. I test drove both the Sierra and Silverado. Can't say there was a difference. What I found to be different, was in what GMC included in their truck and what Chevy Silverado included in theirs. It seemed like I got more thing included in the Sierra which were optional on the Silverado.

That is why I went with the GMC Sierra 4WD 4 door 5.3 liter. I love it!

Truckchic
    You just have to get over that big bass look of the front grill which is similar to a F150. But that shouldn't be too hard as others will have to look at it and not you. hehe
    to the base..but it costs more..

same equipped trucks I believe GMC is more?

- Tim
    locking nut washers?
  • eric2001eric2001 Posts: 482
    I thought it was grease nipples. LOL
    -Eric
  • 87lion87lion Posts: 166
    When I was shopping almost all the Silverados on the lots were 5.3L 4x4 short beds. I had to order my 4.8L 2WD long bed. I might have passed on the long bed if I had found a 4.8 2WD on the lot somewhere. (But I'm glad I got the long bed)
    or reg cab?
  • txyank1txyank1 Posts: 1,010
    downside to the Sierra vs Chevy, you have a grille that looks a lot like a Ford. The grille and the black bumper cap and side molding are the main things I liked better about the GMC. Didja ever notice how much better the Tahoe/Suburban grille looks in the Chevy.? Black grille with the chrome surround. One other disadvantage though, you don't find much apparel with "GMC" on it.
  • ryanbabryanbab Posts: 7,240
    people have put that grill (burb tahoe) in silverados kinda pricy though in the 300-400 range

Ryan
  • txyank1txyank1 Posts: 1,010
    I haven't seen one like that yet. Have seen a few of the older body style with the Escalade and Yukon front ends. A favorite at the shows.

john
    ill scrounge up a photo
  • dustyonedustyone Posts: 262
    The only difference in the Silverado and Suburban grill is the Silverado surround is black whereas the Suburban is all chrome. (compare my '00 Silverado 1500 with my wifes '01 Suburban 2500 http://www.picturetrail.com/gallery/view?p=999&gid=259411&uid=52606 )
    They make an all black grill i think its on the Z71 burb
  • dustyonedustyone Posts: 262
    including the black grill
    huh?

You dont like em?
    that the black grilles are cool.. Someday in the future I think I will go for one.

Ryan - Went to a local 4x4 place here in NJ. It will cost $750 to install the A.R.E. fiberglass tonneau on my Rado.. Just thought you would like to know...

Jim
    Black billet...tha's what I had installed along with the billet bowtie. Anything to get rid of all that blinding plastic chrome.
    $750 for an install? Kinda outrageous don't ya think?
    LOL... ummmmmmmm ok that includes the cover + installation...

Jim
  • minikinminikin Posts: 389
    Jim -- Just paint the one you already have if you want black. That's what I did. Lot cheaper than a new one.
    -- Don
This discussion has been closed.