Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Have you recently switched from a luxury sedan to a luxury SUV?
A reporter would like to talk to you; please reach out to [email protected] by 7/25 for more details.
Did you get a great deal? Let us know in the Values & Prices Paid section!
Meet your fellow owners in our Owners Clubs

Chevy Silverado/GMC Sierra - Owners hangout

Comments

• I have a friend with the Rhino liner. The Rhino liner color fades unevenly over time. It seems to be working well but it looks old before it is old! I prefer the Line-X brand. It seems to be holding up much better in terms of looks. Both types do a great job of protecting the bed. Is Line-X available where you are at? They charge about $450 for a 8 foot bed with coverage over the bed rails. It costs a little less for a 6.5 foot bed or if you don't want the rails covered. You can save an extra $50 to $75 by negotiating and getting the installation done at the installer's convenience.
  • Thank's to all about the hitch suggestions. I know what an equalizing hitch is and have one. I never have measured the wheel height but will try that when I hook up the trlr again. The air bags sound interesting. I hadn't thought of that but will certainly look into it. This is what I enjoy about these sites.....lots of second opinions and good suggestions. Thanks all.....

Stan
  • ryanbabryanbab Posts: 7,240
    have had mine now since april 00. 18K miles

Worked and looks great

If it becomes a little faded all you need is some rhino shine stuff. Spray that on (kinda like an armor all but different) and the shiney blackness comes back

Ryan
  • ricschricsch Posts: 540
    I installed an Airlift air bag kit on my truck, definate improvement in ride and should be a benefit in towing. Easy install too.
  • gator34gator34 Posts: 3
    Line-X has a coupon on their website. Had one sprayed on my LB this week. Just over $500 for over the rails incl. tax. I haven't seen a bed that looks better! You also get a warranty for as long as you own your truck.
  • obyoneobyone Posts: 8,054
    in business. Some of these guys are here today and gone tomorrow.
  • Thanks...
  • erikf2erikf2 Posts: 100
    Rick, here are the pictures of my Ride Rite compressor and in-cab controller. I think I will be re-locating the controller to someplace higher on the dash, or maybe put it on the A-pillar, because it's actually kind of inconvenient where it's at right now. It's not actually in the way, but it is in a very poor spot to view the guage.

Here's the compressor in the engine compartment.

Here's where the air lines and wires for the controller feed into passenger compartment, next to the steering shaft.

And here's where the controller is located - for now.

• ricschricsch Posts: 540
    thanks for the pics, will help in mounting my compressor and running line & wiring. I did mount my gauge in the cab-I don't have a console, so I mounted it just to the right of where you mounted yours. Hope to complete the rest of the install soon.
  • erikf2erikf2 Posts: 100
    The biggest problem I am having with the controller being located **under** the dash is that the guage can't really be read unless I duck my head down to about the same level; not very practical for monitoring while driving!
  • jdgoatjdgoat Posts: 19
    I want to replace the Goodyear Wrangler RT/S tires on my 2000 4WD Sierra. I like the look and ride of these tires but want to stay away from Goodyear. Anybody have any recommendations on manufacturer/models of tires that I could use for replacement? Thanks.

Jim
    BFG so far so good 8K miles much better than the stock fstones.

• tomh12tomh12 Posts: 240
    Those BFG's have more miles on them than any tires in history!

All over the internet. LOL

Tom
  • mgdvhmanmgdvhman Posts: 4,162
    LOL

- Tim
  • truckchictruckchic Posts: 105
    Hi - I just got a quote on Rhino Lining. They have a 'special' going on (Imagine that!) $30 off the normal price

For my '01 Sierra Short Bed, $457 for over the rail (normally $487)
    $407 for under the rail (normally $437)

Does this sound like good prices or should I shop around?

Suggestion time from you guys: I'm also going to add the roll & lock type of cover on the bed maybe next spring. Anyone who had this cover or this lining, can you give me suggestions...do I want over the rail or under the rail. What kind of difference does this really make?

Thanks for all your help!

Ok - I'm taking a moment to thank everyone on this forumn for all the help they have given me in the past year. You've helped me pick out my truck with all the little extras, you helped me negotiate a good price for this truck, and you've helped me with all the little questions and issues which have arrised. Thank you to everyone (I can't list everyone's name that helped, but to name a few: ryanbab, mgdvhman, obyone, ricsch plus many many others.)

Thanks Again!
    Truckchic
    PS: If anyone knows about motorcycles or a forumn for motorcycles, let me know, I just got my M Class License! Yippee!
    I got my rhino lining (with $25 off coupon) UTR for $374.

Might wanna shop around
    Thanks. Those All-Terrains look pretty beefy. How is the road noise and highway ride, pretty comparable to the Firestones?

Jim
    the ride is better than the fstone but the road noise. HMMM only bothers me when i have the radio turned down. They do hum pretty good. Really only negative aspect of them
  • markbuckmarkbuck Posts: 1,021
    Why not Goodyear? American company, make a good product.

Try the Goodyear GSA's, IMHO
  • Line-X on a long bed and over the bed rail for about $380. With tax it just broke about $400. I forget the exact numbers.
    cowboyjohn
  • 4x4man4x4man Posts: 222
    I had the Line-X sprayed in the bed of my truck. Short bed over the rails, $385 plus tax, was a buck short of $400 after tax and out the door I went...

Bob
    Just got a price on Line-X. There is only one dealer anywhere near my house. He quotes me over the rail $468, under the rail $398.

Still don't know what to do with the rails for the roll & lock cover. Do I cover them, or leave them alone? I'm thinking cover them, but will this interfere with the cover when I get it?

Truckchic
    Maybe it's just my luck but I've never owned a Goodyear tire that made it near it's useful life without some sort of treadwear or cupping problem. I don't believe it's always the cars/trucks as the replacement tires seem to last without a problem.

Jim
    pretty good luck with Wrangler TD's....but yeah...towards the end they ended up cupping for some reason?

I would say the Firestones (245/75/16's) I have now have been the best tires for wear so farr? I have probably stayed with the firmest rotate/balance pattern I ever have stuck with also....so that helps.

The whole problem with the Explorers is Ford and their PSI...not Firestone.

I normally wouldn't choose Firestone if buying....but they came with it and have been very good.

Had a lot of Goodyears...and they all went to crap at the end.....like I said...

- Tim
  • txyank1txyank1 Posts: 1,010
    over or under the rails IMHO comes down to how it looks vs do you need to protect the rails. I don't like the looks of a liner over the rails, spray-in or otherwise. But then I don't have to worry about them getting scratched. Nothing goes in the back of my truck unless it's all wrapped up, or the bed is lined with cardboard or blankets! Does this bedcover attach to the tops of the rails or does it attach to the inside of the rails (flush fit) so they still show?
  • mrurlmrurl Posts: 116
    I would go UTR. As Ryan pointed out, if you get any damage to the fender, they will have to repaint it, and the OTR will be in the way. Also, you should definately not get the rails of the roll top coated. The tolerances are fairly tight and the top will bind and not operate properly if the rails have stuff in them.

As far as motorcycle sites go, I'll be happy to set you up a spot on GHA. Go find some motorcycle gearheads and you all are welcome to hang there. You can even be the moderator if you like.

Peter
  • Just your avg size brick. 5.3L auto, 3:73 rear end, 4WD, ext cab. Should I use the Tow/Haul mode. Unfortunately my owners manual is at the house. TIA!!!
  • jpfltawjpfltaw Posts: 43
    otr liner works ok on my 2000 rado w/xliner and roll n lock. Had $500 bucks in damage when a crate fell on the top rail of a 99 Ram. Lordy was I glad it was a rental. So on my 99 and 2000 rado, xliner otr.
    Pavers?..retaining wall blocks?

find out what a pallet weighs and go from there.

Local yard has weights for all their stuff and how much on a pallet.

1500..about 2200 lbs...(I had a lot more with my old one for short trips)....2500...3500 lbs.

- Tim
    The roll & lock cover I don't have yet. But, if I'm reading your message correctly, you advise not to get the bed rails covered with the spray in liner (Rhino or LineX) because it will cause interferance?

Did I read that right?

I'm not planning on major hauling where the rails would be beaten up - more moving like moving furniture, yard supplies (mulch, dirt, etc.)
    So, I'm not sure if over the rail is necessary for me.

Thanks everyone
    truckchic
This discussion has been closed.