Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chevy Silverado/GMC Sierra - Owners hangout

Comments

• jdgoatjdgoat Member Posts: 19
    I want to replace the Goodyear Wrangler RT/S tires on my 2000 4WD Sierra. I like the look and ride of these tires but want to stay away from Goodyear. Anybody have any recommendations on manufacturer/models of tires that I could use for replacement? Thanks.

Jim
  • ryanbabryanbab Member Posts: 7,240
    BFG so far so good 8K miles much better than the stock fstones.

• tomh12tomh12 Member Posts: 240
    Those BFG's have more miles on them than any tires in history!

All over the internet. LOL

Tom
  • mgdvhmanmgdvhman Member Posts: 4,157
    LOL

- Tim
  • truckchictruckchic Member Posts: 105
    Hi - I just got a quote on Rhino Lining. They have a 'special' going on (Imagine that!) $30 off the normal price

For my '01 Sierra Short Bed, $457 for over the rail (normally $487)
    $407 for under the rail (normally $437)

Does this sound like good prices or should I shop around?

Suggestion time from you guys: I'm also going to add the roll & lock type of cover on the bed maybe next spring. Anyone who had this cover or this lining, can you give me suggestions...do I want over the rail or under the rail. What kind of difference does this really make?

Thanks for all your help!

Ok - I'm taking a moment to thank everyone on this forumn for all the help they have given me in the past year. You've helped me pick out my truck with all the little extras, you helped me negotiate a good price for this truck, and you've helped me with all the little questions and issues which have arrised. Thank you to everyone (I can't list everyone's name that helped, but to name a few: ryanbab, mgdvhman, obyone, ricsch plus many many others.)

Thanks Again!
    Truckchic
    PS: If anyone knows about motorcycles or a forumn for motorcycles, let me know, I just got my M Class License! Yippee!
    I got my rhino lining (with $25 off coupon) UTR for $374.

Might wanna shop around
    Thanks. Those All-Terrains look pretty beefy. How is the road noise and highway ride, pretty comparable to the Firestones?

Jim
    the ride is better than the fstone but the road noise. HMMM only bothers me when i have the radio turned down. They do hum pretty good. Really only negative aspect of them
  • markbuckmarkbuck Member Posts: 1,021
    Why not Goodyear? American company, make a good product.

Try the Goodyear GSA's, IMHO
  • cowboyjohn1cowboyjohn1 Member Posts: 125
    Line-X on a long bed and over the bed rail for about $380. With tax it just broke about $400. I forget the exact numbers.
    cowboyjohn
  • 4x4man4x4man Member Posts: 222
    I had the Line-X sprayed in the bed of my truck. Short bed over the rails, $385 plus tax, was a buck short of $400 after tax and out the door I went...

Bob
    Just got a price on Line-X. There is only one dealer anywhere near my house. He quotes me over the rail $468, under the rail $398.

Still don't know what to do with the rails for the roll & lock cover. Do I cover them, or leave them alone? I'm thinking cover them, but will this interfere with the cover when I get it?

Truckchic
    Maybe it's just my luck but I've never owned a Goodyear tire that made it near it's useful life without some sort of treadwear or cupping problem. I don't believe it's always the cars/trucks as the replacement tires seem to last without a problem.

Jim
    pretty good luck with Wrangler TD's....but yeah...towards the end they ended up cupping for some reason?

I would say the Firestones (245/75/16's) I have now have been the best tires for wear so farr? I have probably stayed with the firmest rotate/balance pattern I ever have stuck with also....so that helps.

The whole problem with the Explorers is Ford and their PSI...not Firestone.

I normally wouldn't choose Firestone if buying....but they came with it and have been very good.

Had a lot of Goodyears...and they all went to crap at the end.....like I said...

- Tim
  • txyank1txyank1 Member Posts: 1,010
    over or under the rails IMHO comes down to how it looks vs do you need to protect the rails. I don't like the looks of a liner over the rails, spray-in or otherwise. But then I don't have to worry about them getting scratched. Nothing goes in the back of my truck unless it's all wrapped up, or the bed is lined with cardboard or blankets! Does this bedcover attach to the tops of the rails or does it attach to the inside of the rails (flush fit) so they still show?
  • mrurlmrurl Member Posts: 116
    I would go UTR. As Ryan pointed out, if you get any damage to the fender, they will have to repaint it, and the OTR will be in the way. Also, you should definately not get the rails of the roll top coated. The tolerances are fairly tight and the top will bind and not operate properly if the rails have stuff in them.

As far as motorcycle sites go, I'll be happy to set you up a spot on GHA. Go find some motorcycle gearheads and you all are welcome to hang there. You can even be the moderator if you like.

Peter
  • dmnsmith2dmnsmith2 Member Posts: 21
    Just your avg size brick. 5.3L auto, 3:73 rear end, 4WD, ext cab. Should I use the Tow/Haul mode. Unfortunately my owners manual is at the house. TIA!!!
  • jpfltawjpfltaw Member Posts: 43
    otr liner works ok on my 2000 rado w/xliner and roll n lock. Had $500 bucks in damage when a crate fell on the top rail of a 99 Ram. Lordy was I glad it was a rental. So on my 99 and 2000 rado, xliner otr.
    Pavers?..retaining wall blocks?

find out what a pallet weighs and go from there.

Local yard has weights for all their stuff and how much on a pallet.

1500..about 2200 lbs...(I had a lot more with my old one for short trips)....2500...3500 lbs.

- Tim
    The roll & lock cover I don't have yet. But, if I'm reading your message correctly, you advise not to get the bed rails covered with the spray in liner (Rhino or LineX) because it will cause interferance?

Did I read that right?

I'm not planning on major hauling where the rails would be beaten up - more moving like moving furniture, yard supplies (mulch, dirt, etc.)
    So, I'm not sure if over the rail is necessary for me.

Thanks everyone
    truckchic
    my suggestion is UTR and add some bedrail caps if you dont go with a cover
  • grnsilveradogrnsilverado Member Posts: 23
    IMHO, I would go UTR, I just recently had my truck done in Rhino and I used Ryan and co. advise and got UTR. I also think UTR and bed rail caps look nice. I spent 400 for UTR and 75 for DeeZee bed rail caps. RHINO Liner companys are a national company but are ran individually, the price may vary were you are and you can usually look for around 370-400 for UTR and 400-450 OTR, don't pay anymore than that.
    The real reason for UTR is that if you have to have the quarterpanel repainted for any reason, it will be difficult to mask off the X-line/Rhino asccurately because of its texture.

I don't think the liner will interfere with the roll top. It sounded to me like you wanted to get the X-line/Rhino actually sprayed on the side rails of the roll top. If any got inside the track of the roll top, it would gum up the works.

As for me, I'm saving for a bedrug and an ARE cover.

Peter
  • gvoigtgvoigt Member Posts: 63
    Shortly after I purchased my 2000 GMC, it became apparent that it needed a bedliner of some type and I knew a spray in was the only option for me. I checked around pricing various brands and settled on Ultimate Linings since they were handled by a company that I felt comfortable with and serviced the dealership where I purchased my truck. So the decision had been made, except for the price...$460 bucks bed under the rail only...so I started thinking. Just how important of a customer to the dealership am I? I made them an offer they couldn't refuse. I got my liner installed for dealer cost ($125.00) by giving them opportunity to do some advertising on my truck. Across my front window above the 'A' line the dealerships name appears, just as someone would put "OFF-ROAD" or "4 X 4". And again on the rear window along the bottom of the window out of my line or sight but just above the top of the front bed rail. I like the way the graphics sets my truck apart from every other blue Sierra on the road. We have a gentleman's agreement that I can purchase other accessories for dealer cost plus sales tax for up to one year. I have also added other "advertising" in smaller less conspicuous for compensation in trade. Why not let someone else pay for your add-ons. Next is some flames on the front, working with a vehicle graphics company to provide it 'Free' in turn for me throwing referrals to them of other companies that I know who need their services. Got to use that Marketing Degree for something other than to hid a hole in the wall. The company I work for is toying with the idea of spending some of the advertising budget to have graphics made for guys like me. Oh the liner works great, I recommend that you use Westley's Bleach White to clean it to keep it shiney. It has already taken a beating, dents in the bed tell the story but the liner hasn't even chipped or torn. I'm satisfied.
  • minikinminikin Member Posts: 389
    Spray-in OTR will work fine.
    -- Don
  • dustyonedustyone Member Posts: 262
    K-Mart has their PF-59 filters on sale this week for $2.50 (2 for 5). Best price I have found.
    best price i found was 50 cents each at walmart. They had a "special no ad" sale. I bought two (was doing an oil change that night) got up to the register they rang up 50 cents. I went back and bought the whole shelf of them. 10 in total.
    Got any picutures of your truck you can post?

I'd love to see what kinds of advertising you have.

Truckchic
    where abouts in illinois are you from? Saturday morning i was in um a city by tinley park (bridge.....) and i seen a blue sierra like yours and thought hmmm wonder if that was truckchic.

It was around harlem avenue.
  • lbelrodlbelrod Member Posts: 1
    I have a 99 Silverado 5.3L w/ 50k and would like to change the transmission fluid myself and save 50$. I cannot find out how much transmssion fluid it holds. Dealer could not tell me exactly, but said they "fill it till it is full". This is a sorry answer, so you know why I dont want them o change it. Does anybody know transmission fluid capacity???
    The full rebuild capacity varies with the size of your torque converter, but the pan capacity for a change is 5 qts.

Peter
  • luckystrikeluckystrike Member Posts: 6
    I justed ordered a 2002 Chevy 2500. I have the order number, how can I tract my order thru GM?
  • gregm8gregm8 Member Posts: 4
    hi all-
    i recently bought a silverado ext cab short bed 2001 v-6. i wanted to put and exhaust system on it(probably flowmasters) but i have heard a few people saying that flowmasters on a v-6 sounds terrible. i would like to know if anyone in this forum knows anything about this or could give me any input- thank you very much.

Greg
    I posted a couple pictures or my window graphics at under gvoigt. I'm new to these online photo albums, I hopefully will have several more photos added to my homepage soon. These should answer the visual questions about my earlier post. GV
  • 87lion87lion Member Posts: 166
    Just call the Chevy help line about once a week and they can give you a status. Some operators are more helpful than others. I don't remember the number right off the top of my head. If someone else doesn't post it I'll look it up.
  • wight1wight1 Member Posts: 218
    the phone number you want is 800-222-1020. Give them the order number and they will give you the target production week (TPW). Check back a few times as the TPW gets closer to see if they moved you back. During the actual TPW, call and they can tell you if it has actually been built, and if it has, get the VIN. Call on Tuesdays - that's when their reports are updated. After you get the VIN, you can then give that to your dealer, who can track the truck's shipment from the factory to his front door. Good luck with the new truck.
    Ryan,

I am actually out in the farther western suburbs than tinley. Although I know exactly where you're talking about. That's about 45 min to 1 hour from me.

So, no, that wasn't me. My truck has a license plate in the back window that says Truckchic.

:)
    Truckchic
  • smikessmikes Member Posts: 130
    I have a Line-x UTR ($290), the Wade rail covers that Ryan recommended (match the gate cap great) and had a Pace Edwards Roll Top cover installed. Everything looks great, and works well. I get compliments on it from time2time.

I drove home (Seattle to ND) to see the folks in July and averaged almost 19mph (bed covered). Not bad for a '01 4x4 LT X-cab doing 70-80 most of the time.

smikes
    So far my biggest grip with my 2000 Sierra SLE is the paint. I like the color, but all you have to do is look at it and it seems to scratch. The slightest thing can leave abrasion marks/scratches. Leaning against the side of the truck and you leave behind an ugly scratch. It seems as some one left off the clear coat or forgot to add a hardner to the paint when mixing. Someone also speculated that it could be that it never got all the coats it was suppose to get. Never before have I had a vehicle that had such low scratch resistance as this one does. I lived in Montana where sand and gravel are common place and vehicles take a beating from wind and road conditions, yet scratching wasn't a problem. Not to say that those vehicles didn't have their far share of stone chips. It is one thing for the paint to chip from a rock, but another one from a denim jacket leaving a noticeable scratch from a light rub from leaning over the bed. This same thing doesn't happen when I lean against my Bonneville. I know GMC isn't going to repaint the truck, yet I am going to see if any others are experiencing similar issues.
  • gator36gator36 Member Posts: 294
    What color?
    Black is the worst to try and keep clear. It shows everything
    like it is under a magnifying glass.
    Other darker colors are similar.
    I may have some ideas. But right now
    I am fried... Painting the patio cover...
    Work... work work...
  • hillhoundhillhound Member Posts: 537
    Anyone see the GMC Sierra Professional concept in the Sept/Oct Truck Trent. Looks neat! May not be a concept-the article sounds like it will show up early next year.
    Comes with a built in underhood electric generator rated at 5000w with a built in power strip to run power tools etc. Inside the cab there's a built in cell phone, electric cup holders (cold or hot!) and controls for the underhood generator.
    From the photo it looks like it's built on the 2500 Ext Cab version of the Sierra. Sounds nice if you're a contractor with deep pockets!
  • dch0300dch0300 Member Posts: 472
    How have you been neighbor?
    Sounds like you got great gas mileage on your trip.
    I drove from Seattle to Montana in July to see my folks. With my '01 x-cab, Z-71, 5.3L, 3.73, I averaged 18.7 mpg and I was doing between 75 and 80 mph with the a/c on the whole time.

How has your truck been treating you?

-David
    my last trip i got 17.8 WOOHOO my highest mpg to date im moving up
    Glad to see you are moving up in the world.
    Did you notice any mpg difference when you changed to your current tires?
    I still have the stock P265/75R16 Firestone Wilderness AT's on mine.
    With 6,900 miles on them they are not showing any wearing yet, well except for a little on the back ones. Kinda hard not to show off and put a dual patch of rubber on the road every-once-in-a-while.
    -David
    nope no real difference

My fstones wore funny. I kept em like 9500 miles. Around 7-8K the center tread was smooth (bald). Had em checked out pressure and everything was fine.

My new tires are showing little to no signs of wear after 10K
    My truck has been great. I don't use it all that much since I bicycle commute downtown everyday for work. I've had it 9 months now and don't even have 7000 miles on it yet. My vacation put 3000 on it.

My only gripe with my rig right now is the chips in the windshield from the !#*)*^%$&* idiot Mayflower moving truck driver who passed me in Montana in a construction zone where it was clearly marked every 300 yds DO NOT PASS. Besides the windshield, chipped the paint on the hood, and cracked the bowtie in the grill.

So Mayflower, if you're listening, thanks for calling (not) me back after I lodged my complaint. You can rest assured I will trash talk you until the day I die.

smikes
    Glad to hear you are doing well, except for the Mayflower incident.
    Was that the road construction zone on the east side of Look Out Pass before you get to the $10,000 Silver Dollar Bar?

For some good news, several months ago a rock hit my gold bow tie in the front grill and busted a big chunk out of it. Went to the local Chevy dealer parts department and got a new gold bow tie for $12+tax. Took about 20 minutes to replace it. Looks new again. Sorry I can't offer any help for the rock chips in the hood and windshield.

I've had my truck for 8 months now and have only 6,900 miles on it. My vacation to Montana in July put 1,600 of those mile on it. I'm surprised I don't have more miles, it is so much fun to drive. However, having to drive only 3 miles to work doesn't add up the miles very fast.
    I'd bicycle to work too, but it is uphill the whole way!! Going home from work would be more fun, I wouldn't need to peddle at all.

-David
    I think I was about 30 minutes west of Three Forks. I stopped in Three Forks and called the Highway Patrol to report the idiot.

I asked at Huling Bros Chevrolet in West Seattle and they quoted me $25 for a new bowtie! What's up with that?

smikes
    go with a billet bowtie.
    $25 at Huling Bros Chevrolet.....wow.....does it have "24k gold" in it?
    $12 at Everett Chevrolet.

-David
This discussion has been closed.