Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chevy Silverado/GMC Sierra - Owners hangout

Comments

• cowboyjohn1cowboyjohn1 Member Posts: 125
    Was quite interested in your report of road construction east of Lincoln's 10,000 Silver Dollar Bar and Smikes report about west of Three Forks. I am heading that way on Friday. Do you know of any decent country roads a person might get around all that. Guess if I take Lolo pass to Missoula, I can get around the Silver Dollar bar construction, but don't know how to get around Three Forks. Any ideas? I would like to keep my 2001 extended cab in the best shape possible. Thanks
    cowboyjohn
  • dch0300dch0300 Member Posts: 472
    The road construction east of Lookout Pass on I-90 that I went through on July 6th wasn't that bad. Just guard rail work now.

Lolo Pass is under construction, they are widening the road at the top.

It sounds like near Three Forks you might want to make sure you have a bug/rock guard on your truck. Or at the Garrison exit off of I-90 you could take Highway 12 east through Avon, Helena, Townsend and then meet up again with I-90 east of Three Forks. It's 2 lane most of the way, but not many vehicles, no road construction and it's a nice drive. Just one mountain pass west of Helena (MacDonald Pass, 4 lanes up and down, elev. 6400', 8% grade I think, watch for deer at dusk). Stop and see the capitol building in Helena, they just got done restoring it. Great museum too.

Here is a link to the Idaho road report:

http://www2.state.id.us/itd/ida-road/idaroad.asp?criteria=All

Here is a link to the Montana road report:

http://www.mdt.state.mt.us/travinfo/const_mai_frame.html

(click on Construction Reports)

-David

• cowboyjohn1cowboyjohn1 Member Posts: 125
    David

Thank you very much for that input. It was very helpful and I am bookmarking those websites. I also learned of some construction around Absarokee, Red Lodge, and the Wyoming line which I will be going thru. I am on my way to Nebr., and stopping in both directions to visit friends from a couple of past lives. It will be fun, but I don't want my new pickup messed up from construction. And yes, I do have the bug (stone?) deflector. Am leaving on Friday.
    Thanks again.
    cowboyjohn
    I wish I knew who my friends were in my past lives.
    Anyway, have a great trip, hope the truck doesn't get damaged, and try to visit a Cabela's retail showroom in Sidney or Kearney NE.
    I've heard the one in Sidney is Nebraska's #1 tourist attraction...hmmm imagine that. They are pretty cool though, wish we had one here.

-David
  • trucks4me2trucks4me2 Member Posts: 31
    Thanks for the road trip news. Driving to Livingston MT next month from Oak Harbor WA and will keep those sites bookmarked for a road review.

Stan
  • hdaiv1hdaiv1 Member Posts: 3
    I just bought a 2001 GMC Sierra with the "Ride Control" option (Hey, it was the only white one left w/$1000 rebate). Does anyone know how to lift the front end to make it match the rear? Thanks
    David A
  • ryanbabryanbab Member Posts: 7,240
    crank the torsion bars up (if its a 4wd)
    Don't you also want to add to post # 907 "....and then take it in for a wheel alignment."

Check the height of my truck at the center of the wheelwells (with fender flares) last night. The truck was sitting level in the garage with the gas tank 1/2 full. Here are the numbers if I remember them correctly.

Right Front: 35.75"
    Left Front: 35.75"
    Right Rear: 37.75"
    Left Rear: 37.75"

Truck has not moved at all since day 1.

-David
    david my rear is like 39" and front is like 37.5"

After 285's and torsion bar crank. Before it was 36.5 in the front

Yea you will need an alignment after you do this
    I'll go check it again tonight, and remember to write it down too.
    -David
  • hdaiv1hdaiv1 Member Posts: 3
    Thanks, I knew I had heard something for it here somewhere. Unfortunately, I couldn't justify getting a 4x4, living in the South with next to nothing in snow. On a C1500 series, is there anything short of adding a front-only suspension lift kit to raise the front about an inch or so?

I forgot to mention my new truck's specs: 2WD Ext. Cab, 5.3L, 3.73 locking rear, and enough power to pull my house down!

David
  • txyank1txyank1 Member Posts: 1,010
    cant raise the 2wd trucks. They do not have torsion bars
  • obyoneobyone Member Posts: 7,841
    Just add rubber spacers between the springs.
  • eric2001eric2001 Member Posts: 482
    That aint the right way to do it... but it does work.
    -Eric
  • seeligseelig Member Posts: 590
    is to put BFG's on the front.........like 285's!!
  • gator36gator36 Member Posts: 294
    Go with a 3 in. spindle lift from Fabtech? If you are going to put the
    tires on it. It would be worth the $500 to do a spindle lift.

Then you can coax 33's into the wheel well...
    you see BFG is coming out with a new mud terrain tire? 255/85/R16 might be in my future

Anyone wanna donate a set of rims?
  • quinnjfquinnjf Member Posts: 1
    Is Autotrac available on the base 2002 Sierra 1500 Extended Cab 4x4? GMC says it's standard on the SLE but isn't clear about the base truck.
    --anybody know?

much obliged...
  • dddaveldddavel Member Posts: 10
    Has anyone got their $1000 certificate yet, or know anything about whats going on ? I sent for mine in april or may, still waiting. Thanks.
  • michgndrmichgndr Member Posts: 160
    Pls explain further.
  • cdnindccdnindc Member Posts: 14
    I have a 2001 Sierra 4x4 Ext Cab, 5.3, with locking rear. I'm at 8000 miles and my owners manual says I need to check drive axle fluid level if I've never towed, or replace fluid after first 500 miles of towing. The only thing I've towed was a 6x12 uhaul trailer this past weekend moving into a new house (about 80 miles of loaded tralier hauling), and I'm about to drive from Washington, DC up to Atlantic Canada and back on the long weekend towing a loaded 6x12 trailer again (2300 miles).

Do I need to check the drive axle fluid now, and replace when i get back,
    or
    should I replace it now, and check it when I get back.

And how mouch do they charge for this? At the dealer, they quoted me $160. Thanks
    You can do it yourself for about $75-80 or cheaper if you want to go with different fluid

gm fluid is $26-$28 a qt and you will need 2 qts and about half of a third so thats almost $80. Then you need a new gasket.

i did mine myself not to long ago. I have never done this on a vehicle before and found it pretty simple
  • sonjaabsonjaab Member Posts: 1,057
    In May when I got my new truck I got
    a sidesaddle cert from a friend.
    Because I was getting a GM employee
    discount and was not related or living
    with the person on the certificate.
    I could only get $250 on it.
    I showed my copy to the dealer.
    Filled out a GM paper at dealer and
    that was it. I never recieved the
    actual certificate !!!!!!!!!
    It must have been sent to the dealer.
    I haven"t heard anything else since
    May 01. So I guess it worked !!!!!!!!!
    Love my new Chevy 2500..........Geo
    the Chevy/GMC ADTA Truck Show in Tulsa? It's in October. I saw it listed in Sport Truck but am not familier with this show. Always looking for shows within driving distance and am thinking of going. I don't even know what the ADTA stands for.
  • lakotalakota Member Posts: 11
    Looking to buy a 1500 in January, need to have it in possession by March 1. I know most people like details so I'm interested in Extcab LB 4WD - off road - 6.OL engine (Big as they have - non diesel)- basically loaded - at least 3 doors.

I figured I'd buy about a 2000 model b/c what I want in the truck will be too expensive new, but I hear so often about special rebates - several thousand dollars off MSRP - 3.9% financing, etc. Does this just apply to what they have in stock or can you order a truck and still get the same deal? It seems like you could get a new truck at a similar cost to a used vehicle 2 years old. Are there special requirements on the financing - like at my bank I can get the best auto loan rate they offer with no money down. Any money down required with GM?

Any help is appreciated and I hope to become a regular contributor in the future. Thanks.
  • tucsonjwttucsonjwt Member Posts: 265
    the truck. If you buy at the end of the model year - like a 2001 now through the next two months - you will probably get the best price. You often get $1500 - $2000 off in "consumer cash" or 1.9% or 0% financing - usually either or, but not both. If you get on one of the GM brand websites and ask for information, you will sometimes get a discount certificate later in the mail as an incentive. Also, GM has a lot of discounts for various classes of people (active duty military or reserve, recent college graduate, current Olds owner, etc,) so if you fall into one or more of those classes you can get $1000 per category in discounts.
    Some discounts depend on which region of the country you live in - I think you can get that from the GM brand websites also.
    If you plan on keeping the vehicle a long time - like 5-10 years - then I don't think it matters which model year you buy, so buying at the end of the model year makes sense. You can verify this by checking the value of a 5 year old vs. 6 year old vehicle on various car pricing websites - like here on Edmunds TMV site, Kelly Bluebook website, NADA website, Cars.com, etc.
    I lean toward taking the cash incentives vs. low financing since I plan to trade every year or two.
    If you are short on cash or just don't want to tie up money in a depreciating asset, then I would go for the lowest financing. Usually, the manufacturers can beat the ordinary financing available elsewhere, except for credit unions, which usually can meet or beat the manufacturer's normal financing.
    The most popular vehicles have the least incentives, the least popular vehicles have the most incentives, so I wouldn't look for too many incentives on big SUVs or heavy duty trucks, but since you want a 1500 you can probaly get a good deal right now.
    One other thing, if you think we are heading for a big recession you might want to hold off buying your next vehicle, since prices will drop if economic activity slows. Personally, I think this won't happen, so I think now is the time to buy.
    Good luck and welcome aboard.
  • 87lion87lion Member Posts: 166
    You may have a hard time finding an x-cab longbed. In the Washington DC area a year ago I did not see any long beds except for regular cabs. I had to factory order mine.
  • mgdvhmanmgdvhman Member Posts: 4,157
    good luck on that one now!

- Tim
    in the 1500HD
    I was under the impression he wanted a used one though?...being he said at least a 3 door...

- Tim
    Didn't know who you were talking/writing to. Daryl maybe? LMAO!!
    I just sent him an e-mail?

haha

...BTW...them Opus X still have not been touched yet.....Mike doesn't smoke them and I figured it wasn't officially done yet? But I is getting anxious and I think since the Corian part is done...it's time!

Thanks

- Tim
    FIRE IT UP
    yeah right.....i was lucky enough to look at em though........
    Tim was being a stingy ^&#%^& wasnt he? Had em locked up in a glass case.

Said you can look but you cant touch
    Mike couldn't do nothing at all and had to fork out big bucks everywhere we went...uh huh

LOL

- Tim
    the rest of the time though, it was like i had my own key to a liquor store.....
    thanks tim ol buddy.........can't wait for the next one...
  • steadskysteadsky Member Posts: 11
    I paid for the AJ1 Glass Deep Tint option. When I picked up my truck I noticed only the side-rear windows were deep tinted while the rear was only lightly tinted like the front Windshield and Front Driver Passenger windows. GMC claims that this is the way it is but can't explain why. Anybody else go through this?
    Dale
    Same as mine. I was told this is due to the rear widow defogger. If you don't have the defogger, the tint is dark like the rear doors.
    -Eric
  • hrbngrhrbngr Member Posts: 3
    Is there any way that a determination can be made about the severity of the piston slap in a NEW vehicle during a test drive? I am interested in a a 2001 Sierra C3, but I am concerned about the ticking/knocking problem.

It seems that some trucks are worse than others, and I was hoping to avoid getting a "lemon" right from the start...

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
    lack of tint on the rear windows of all the crew cabs. Thought it odd, but figured that must be the way they make 'em.
    Not on mine...
    I have the rear window defogger and have the dark
    tint on my 2001 1500 ext cab.
    Crew cabs I believe?

- Tim
  • ruddsterruddster Member Posts: 19
    I also have 2001 2500HD crew cab, rear window is dark tinted same as rear sides.
    curious. I'll have to get all my "Honey-do's" done on Saturday so I can go to the Chevy Dealer Sunday and look at windows. Maybe the key is whether or not they have the rear-window defroster?
    The rear window defroster (as I earlier posted). GM does not dark tint the crew cabs with the defroster. I do not understand this since they do offer this on the extended cab, but that is GM for you.
    -Eric
  • hrbngrhrbngr Member Posts: 3
    Is there any way that a determination can be made about the severity of the piston slap in a NEW vehicle during a test drive? I am interested in a a 2001 Sierra C3, but I am concerned about the ticking/knocking problem. If it stops after 15 seconds is that ok?

It seems that some trucks are worse than others, and I was hoping to avoid getting a "lemon" right from the start...

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
    However, I would seriously think twice about purchasing that particular truck. Are you sure you wouldn't rather wait for the Sierra Denali with the four wheel steering?
This discussion has been closed.