Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Jeep Wrangler

Comments

• believebelieve Member Posts: 74
    By the way...do any of you use synthetic for the tranny (hand shaker)....or rear end? I'm a die-hard synthetic oil fan and was considering changing everything on the "Bee" to synthetic.....if so....what brand?
    Thanks in advance!!!!...Lew
  • koolbreeze2koolbreeze2 Member Posts: 252
    I went from a Jeep Wrangler to a Town Car to a Cadillac to a Buick Park Ave. and then to a Sebring Conv. and back to the Wrangler. Its apples and oranges. The Wrangler is about fun and connecting with a vehicle in a special way. I believe this is true for men and women. Do your research if you plan on getting a Wrangler to be certain its for you. Better to rent one and talk to owners, then decide. Its a big jump from Sports-sedan to a Jeep. Kinda like riding a racehorse to work and then going home on a mule. You will get there, see alot, have fun, but it will be a different ride. Go Easy and Good Luck, John
  • wpowellwpowell Member Posts: 125
    Paul,

How are the Trxus MT's on the street? I hear they are a little quieter than most MT's?? BTW, just did a search of the forum to find out what the backspacing was on the canyons and turned up this quote from one of your posts last year:

"I'm running 30x9.5 BFG AT's right now. With my Dana 35/30 combination, I won't be going any bigger than 32x11.5"

Funny how our finish line for these damn things keeps moving. I remember thinking "I'll just buy the Rubicon so I don't have to make any mods...".

Anyway, your Jeep looks great; the new tires make it look like its feet finally grew into its body :P

If you get a chance post a pic from the side so we can see those wheelwells filled up!
  • nolid5nolid5 Member Posts: 148
    Mark,
    Paul has quite a few pics over in his CarSpace album.
    I still think it's cool to see the transformation that "little" jeep has gone through.
    Looks great Paul. Would love to see a pic next to Thelma Jane now.
    Rich
  • mac24mac24 Member Posts: 3,910
    Seeing as no one else has picked this up you can have my two cents. ;)

First, you'll do no damage to your Jeep using synthetic. At the far end of it's life you may see a little less wear. This may be important to you if you intend to keep it for over 200k miles. You may see a small improvement in fuel consumption. You may run a little cooler. If you already have a high mileage you may get a few oil leaks as hardened oil seals are softened. You can extend your engine oil change intervals, though the amount of particulates circulating won't be reduced. If you tow the DC recommends you use synthetic or semi synthetic in the axles.

Finally, I use non-synthetic in the engine and transmission, and synthetic or semi-synthetic in the axles, brakes, and power steering. You may decide differently and I wouldn't argue with you.
  • erickplerickpl Member Posts: 2,735
    The TrXuS MT's are really nice on the street. Yeah, they have some noise, but not bad at all considering they are 12.5" wide and are mud terrains.

Initially, i wasn't going to go with a BL/MML and 33's, but after a wheeling trip in October, my wife said the Jeep needed to be bigger and needed better traction. She mistook a wheel not spinning in the dirt as no power, but it was a case when lockers would have helped. So, I went with an ARB air locker in the back and a Lockright autolocker in the front. I don't get stuck like I used to - just more damage to get. :) hehehe

You can check my carspace account for pictures, but if you have any specifically you want, let me know and I'll try to get em. :)

As far as being next to Thelma Jane, mine is taller now. Tom's lift is a 2" Procomp lift and he's on 31's. My total lift is about 4.5 (3.25" suspension and 1.25" body) and I'm on 33's. However, Tom is still the much better driver and goes places I'm still too timid to try! :)

It is probably more about the driver and skill level than it is with the capabilities of the equipment. :)

-Paul
  • believebelieve Member Posts: 74
    Thanks Tom for teaching me how to post a photo on this site...and thanks Mac for helping me with the Synthetic question......and for the rest of you here is a photo of my new (used) jeep with the BFG tires Tom, Mac and Mtngal recommended......you guys and gals are the best!
    By the way Mtngal...i bet your enjoying that little Fit eh?
    Lewimage
  • mtngalmtngal Member Posts: 1,911
    That's a really nice looking Wrangler (Wranglers should be in bright colors), and aren't those BFGs nice and quiet on the road?

Having a Fit has helped me get over saying goodbye to the old Sport. It seems to be a car you either "get" or not, kind-of like the Wrangler (and I sure "get" it!). I'm still having a problem believing that I own a Honda car (don't know why I should have trouble with that - I used to own a Honda motorcycle).

I hesitated to answer the question "how is the Wrangler" as a daily driver, because I wasn't coming from a sports car, and people have different tolerances for what is acceptable. That said, we've used both the '98 Sport and the '04 Unlimited as our daily drivers at various times. The Sport wasn't as good of a day-in, day-out, long distance commuter type of car since it is more skittish and rough riding than the longer Unlimited.

I would hear more engine and road noise in the hard top Sport than in the soft top Unlimited, though you can hear more traffic noise with the softtop Unlimited. If sound is an issue to you, then go for the hardtop Unlimited.

The Sport was definitely more fun to drive, it's just harder to relax. The Unlimited was fine as a daily driver for us, and if it weren't for the gas and the need for a car my elderly Mom could get into, we'd still be driving it. But Wranglers aren't for everyone, and especially for someone who likes speed (those things that make Wranglers so outstanding off-road work are liabilities at high speed).
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    "More than 350,000 Willys Jeeps were built and used during World War II. In the game, a player can use the iconic vehicle as a mode of transportation or as a mobile attack platform with a variety of mounted weapons."

Vintage Jeep Vehicles To Appear in Medal of Honor Airborne (Inside Line)

Steve, Host
  • drewmeisterdrewmeister Member Posts: 168
    Finally! Soft top is on the way. I found a dealership that had one in Khaki (ok by me) plus hardware for 652$ plus shipping! For an unlimited sunrider, this is a super-great deal. Only Mopar and Quadratec are carrying them otherwise at full $1200. People, get the dual-top option.

If any unlimited owners like that color and need a softop, let me know on here and I can direct you. I think they have another.
  • jeff62301jeff62301 Member Posts: 310
    if thats the price with the hardware you got an awesome deal.

jts
    I think he needs a garage though.

Big photo

More in The Eye of the Beholder story. I suppose it's really crash foam, but it sure looks frosty to me.

Steve, Host
  • keatskeats Member Posts: 412
    I have khaki dual tops and I love them, of course, I have the light khaki paint job. Black tops are great, but the khaki will stay a lot cooler in the summer.

Speaking of soft tops. I just used some 303 cleaner to get stains off mine, and then used Lexol's Vinylex protectant on it. The top looks like it just came out of the box now. The Vinylex is awesome. It also works great on faded plastic.
  • mtngalmtngal Member Posts: 1,911
    Thanks for the link - what a great story, and it sure looks like a fun time. Gives me an excuse to visit Texas again, when I finally manage to retire.
  • goducks1goducks1 Member Posts: 432
    Many thanks to Mac for the advice on changing out the brake fluid. A brake bleeder wrench is a good investment, esp one that is 3/8 on one end and 5/16 on the other, since the front and rear valves take different sizes. The first one took forever to get some clear fluid, but the remaining ones went exponentially faster, especially the last one. Took almost 2 pints of brake fluid for the whole process. The old fluid was pretty dark, though not the disturbing black color of my power steering fluid when I changed it (also for the first time) with the help of a turkey baster--sucked out the old stuff from the reservoir and filled it with clean stuff 3 times this month until I could live with the color.
  • eltipoeltipo Member Posts: 21
    I am totally interested. I have tried to bid on tops, but lose every time :mad: . That deal sounds awesome!!! How can I get that contact information. How much will you pay for shipping? Thanks for the heads-up.

If you are thinking about buying a Jeep GO DUAL TOP! I only have a hard top and it is driving me nuts. I feel like I am missing part of the whole experience.

Go easy
  • mac24mac24 Member Posts: 3,910
    I have tried to bid on tops, but lose every time :mad:

LOL......you're obviously not bidding high enough! :P
    "I feel like I am missing part of the whole experience. "

Oh yes. And the good part too :)

Been running no doors, bikini top only for the past week straight.
  • 99tj99tj Member Posts: 187
    Very good part!

I went doorless and topless today and plan on the same tomorrow. Love it! :shades:

-Dan
  • durability05durability05 Member Posts: 142
    I have a dual top, my soft top is still like new. I have always used the hardtop. I have a 06 Mustang Convertible for top down driving. My softop is the black version though. The problem with the hardtop, is that it is difficult to remove, unless you use the electric winch mechanism that you would set up in your garage. I am buying real soon a Garvin Wilderness Expedition rack, I wonder how this will affect removing the hardtop,maybe make it more difficult, which reminds me, I got to post a question about this rack.
    Anybody presently using this rack, had installed one etc.
    How is the wind noise at speeds of about 65 mph?
    Would I probably lose 1 mpg at that speed?
    I think the Wilderness rack is the best looking, best integrated Safari rack on the market, except for having to drill above and below the tail lights. I like to take the Wrangler out with the family more often, I really need the cargo space. Other racks like Cargo Master or Olympics I think do not require drilling into the tub, but look like an after thought installation.
    I don't think the hardtop is difficult to remove, 6 bolts come right off with the Makita, undo the latches, and 2 guys can lift it right off. Build an upright hardtop cart (see post 21360) and storage is not really an issue either. It would be a pain to put on and off regularly if I didn't have a soft top, I suppose.
  • wheelsdownwheelsdown Member Posts: 250
    THANK YOU to all the soldiers who have answered when our country called.

Terry
    Their ebay profile is http://cgi3.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewUserPage&userid=stevewhitemotors

I don't see the auction still listed, so the other one may be gone. Even with shipping (for me, ~$200) it was still a better deal than buying over the counter. It should be here Thursday, so I'm quite excited. I still have the top on this year since we've been getting a couple thunderstorms a week. The bikini just doesn't keep the interior dry at all in a downpour. July and August around here you can pretty much go no top at all.

Look into the basic rope winch. You don't need to pay for a powered winch unless you really want to. (I have the cheapo triple-pulley and buckle job.) It lifts the top right off, then I lower it to the ground for storage.
  • pinhead1pinhead1 Member Posts: 3
    I have seen on ebay a new Bestop Sunrider for 2003-up for $618 ($30 for shipping). It is an ebay store called The Wright Part.
    I religiously watch Ebay for Unlimited parts, especially tops. I have never seen a complete soft top go for $618. I recently lost a half top w/ tonneau and that went for $670. Which leads me to a question...

Anyone have an Unlimited with half top? I would love to see some more pics of that. I think I might go this route with my Jeep.

Thanks
  • kommandokommando Member Posts: 8
    I just put a KargoMaster rack on my YJ and it's considerably more sturdy than the others I've seen, with a 500lb capacity. I replaced an Olympic SportsRack (100-150lb cap.)with it, and the difference in quality is very noticeable. The KM is even slightly adjustable for fit.

I've seen a few installed Garvins, and they're quality racks, but will be noisier than a KargoMaster because a KM doesn't have to have a basket up there. It also isn't quite as sturdy. With the Garvin and Olympic (and most others), the front mounts only attach to the sides of the windshield frame hinges. The KM attaches to both the sides and the front of the hinges, which makes it much more stable and considerably less damaging to your windshield frame nutserts. The KM rear mounts require drilling one 5/16 hole above each taillight, while the Olympic required 2 holes above each. It also utilizes the existing taillight mounting holes as well, and the KM brackets are gusseted on one side for strength.
    In addition, I substituted stainless hardware, including 8-5/16x4 eye-bolts w/nylocks in the upright and "streamer" bars. This makes the hardware rust-free and provides additonal tiedown points.
    Wind-noise is hardly noticeable with Thule crossbars on it, compared to going rackless, and seems better than what the Olympic used to sound like. I haven't got a wind-deflector for the Thule yet either.
    For even more cargo space, put a sturdy 2" receiver on the back (350-500lb tongue rating), get an aluminum 20x60 HitchHaul, a Husky 20x60 aluminum truckchest (@ Home Depot), and a locking hitchpin. Bolt the chest to the HitchHaul with nylock nuts and you now have lockable storage that can be installed/removed in a matter of seconds. HitchHaul also makes a 24x60 carrier, and there are many sizes of chests on the market, but you might want to beef your rear suspension/axle for more weight. See Airlift in-coil airbags for that stuff.
    Check www.slicktops.com. They have a sale right now for their Unlimited Coyote top at $575. I have their YJ frameless Sport top on my '95 and it's much simpler than most softops. I just needed a $30 top-prop to help the rain run off better, but other than that it fits great. I'd even inquire of them when/if they're coming out with a full frameless top for the Unlimited.
    Two guys can pull a hardtop off without too much trouble, even with most roof-racks. With a rack that is mounted on the back of the tub, it may tilt out of the way, or you may have to remove all/part of the rack. With a rack that is on the sides of the tub, instead of lifting the top off, you lift it enough to clear the retainer/'cage and then walk it backwards until you're free of the rack.
    I never used my hardtop, so I sold it. The softop is fine, as long as you have full hard doors, down past -10F. Just don't fold/roll/scrape the soft windows or take it through a carwash.
    Yeah I'm running a frameless soft top myself from the now-defunct Rock Gear company in New Mexico and love it. The windows and sides fold into the top itself so I run it as a safari/bikini top 90% of the time anyway. If you've got a hard top for part of the year you really don't need a full blown soft top.

Got one of those Lange quick-disconnect mirrors yesterday and attached it to the driver's side windshield post. Tired of being paranoid around cops when running soft- or no-doors in the summer.
  • wpowellwpowell Member Posts: 125
    This looks like a good deal (not mine or anyone I know):

http://www.floridajeepers.net/viewtopic.php?t=24896
    That does sound like a great deal. Plus I am in Florida. Only problem is I have an '05 Unlimited.

I have read sketchy things about the Gator Top place and customer service on other forums. For the price of that top, I can find the Mopar half cab (close enough $715). Problem is I would have to buy the door surrounds and tailgate bar. That's another $185 or so.

Any Floridians (or South easterners) w/ an Unlimited looking to unload a soft top?

Thanks
  • ocean_shipperocean_shipper Member Posts: 70
    I bought a 2003 Wrangler with dual tops and found out that the soft top doesn't have the windows. I had the dealer buy me new windows (in black when the soft top is Green) and when they gave them to me, the rear window didn't have the lower bar and the window doesn't have the sleeve to put the bar in it. Does anyone have an idea if there is a separate place to get the matching windows WITH the rear bar and sleeve for installation?

I hate the thought of going to the local dealer, but might not have any choice.

Here is a picture of the rear so you can see what I mean...
    image">

And another one....
    Help in Northern Virginia!!!!
    Thanks - Chuck
  • erickplerickpl Member Posts: 2,735
    First of all, you MIGHT want to size your pic down by editing your post and putting width="550" next to the link to your pic. Makes the pages much easier to read.

Secondly, the bar should be part of the soft top setup, so if the dealer provided the soft top, they should provide that bar. I'd try them first.

Otherwise, you can probably find one on eBay easily enough since you already have the brackets for that back window installed. I would only try this route if dealing politely with the dealer does not work.

You might also try Bestop. They sell OEM style replacement parts and should be able to help you at least with the color matching. Does your top say Bestop anywhere on it (usually by the header by the front door).

The only issue I see with it being used is that the dealer may not be too willing to add stuff that they have to pay for (though most likely they pilfered parts off this one for another Jeep on their lot - it does happen). However, since the dealer provided the soft top stuff (windows), they should realize that the bracket is essential for using said back window. :)

If you need to buy them
    http://www.jeepsareus.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=JAU&Prod- uct_Code=TJrod&Category_Code=Wrangler6

Good luck!

-Paul
    No top to sell you but also make sure you check the auto parts sections of the http://www.craigslist.org/ for all the cities within a reasonable drive of Florida on a regular basis Buddy of mine picked up a soft top for his '99 on the Charlotte one. Shame you're not looking for an Unlimited hard top...there's one for sale on the Raleigh one right now.
  • ocean_shipperocean_shipper Member Posts: 70
    Paul - I tried to find a way to edit my post, but I guess that it is too late to edit it. I will try to remember it next time I make a post.

First, as I best can tell, this is a factory soft top that came with the dual top on this particular jeep.

I did call the dealer that I bought it from (a Chrysler dealer) and they told me that I need to take it to the Jeep dealer and have them let the selling dealer know what they need to order to complete the top. They did advise that they would buy it and I would have to return to them the 'replacement' windows that they ordered for me.

The Jeep dealer said that they can order the same color for both the side and rear windows and the bar at the bottom. I was 'stunned' at the prices. They quoted me $238 for EACH side window, $198 for the rear window, and $129 for the bar! What a RIP OFF! :mad:

If they renege on the original purchase of the OEM, I will look to aftermarket tops.

Thanks for all the information! - Chuck
    Thank You for the excellent information on racks, I actaully thought the KM was well designed, except all the pictures were on softops. After all your inputs on wind noise etc. I'm am probably going to go for the Wilderness Tailgate Mounted Trail rack. I got the Mopar factory hitch on the wrangler which is a 1 1/4 reciever, so that limits me , specially since my bike rack etc are all 1 1/4.
    Also about ease of removal of hardtops, softops etc. I prefer the push botton power top of my mustang, and its excellent wind defection of its windshield. My wrangler's seat belts would sing in the windstream with the top down. I will keep its hardtop on permanently, anybody needs a dual top?
    Ebay Item # Item number: 4645808574

heres a half top for an unlimited on EBAY, looks good!!

jeff

I tried to post a link, it wrapped around and didn't work, so edited my post to the item #, sorry its not just an easy click.
    Here we go...

Tiny URL
    Plus another $200 in parts for the door surrounds and tailgate bar...I guess it's still cheaper than a new soft top.
    Drewmeister,

what did you do to create "tiny url" ?

jts

guess I'm not supposed to post without something Jeep related, got a bestop bikini top for christmas, put it on a week ago, really nice. its a "sunlighter" its transparent, lets some light through, I like it more than I think i would have liked one that blocked all the light. I may be pealing it off for the weekend, its so nice out right now, I don't think I need any top.
    Go to http://tinyurl.com/ and paste the long link in the box there. http://www.makeashorterlink.com/ is another.

Steve, Host
    Kommando, do you know anything about the Wilderness Tailgate mounted trail rack. I notice it has two supports that are removable via pins. Is it for the 200 pound capacity. If I was only to carry 50-75 lbs. Do you think I can get away with not having to install those supports. This means all my weight carrying would be on the factory spare tire carrier. I have pretty much narrowed myself to this set-up. If I don't have to mount the supports for now, I will go ahead and order one from 4wd hardware
  • mmitschmmitsch Member Posts: 7
    Does anybody have any suggestions as to what to use for cleaning the soft-top's clear vinyl windows on a 1999 Jeep Wrangler? Mine are the grey tinted type. Also, what is the best thing to clean and protect the top with?

Thanks!

Mike
  • div2div2 Member Posts: 2,580
    Meguiars makes a couple of excellent products:
    Mirror Glaze Plastic Cleaner and
    Mirror Glaze Plastic Polish
    As for the top itself, I like Raggtopp Cleaner and Fabric Protectant.
  • chow3chow3 Member Posts: 37
    Hi- Looking for seat covers for 05 Khaki unlimited(neoprene?). Any suggestions? Also looking to add a tow hitch. What do you all think?
    Thanks Chow
    i bought smittybuilt / outland seat covers: they faded badly in just a few months and the seams tore when i took them off to wash them.

As far a hitch, I have an ACME, I bought it at the local farm store. It always seems to take me longer than the directions estimate for installing parts, but it was pretty straight forward and not that difficult. Holding it inplace while putting the bolts in was the hardest part.

on my 04, I got a Hoppy trailer wiring harness, it is a t shaped connection just unplug a connection in the rear fender well and plug end each into the T Connection, it was really easy.

jeff
    I had my 3500lb tow hitch installed by U-Haul of all people and they did a great job for next to nothing. It's never given me any trouble. I tow a johnboat with it sometimes.
  • wheelsdownwheelsdown Member Posts: 250
    I bought and installed a U-Haul on mine. Took about 30 minutes. Everything fit perfect.

Terry
  • keatskeats Member Posts: 412
    Lemon Pledge will work great on the Windows. For the top I have used 303 Protectant Cleaner and Vinylex. I like the Vinylex more, it made the top look better than new.