Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Jeep Wrangler

Comments

• mac24mac24 Member Posts: 3,910
    I think that since the Jeep Wrangler: Problems and Solutions forum was started, a lot of newcomers have been finding their way over there instead.
  • mtngalmtngal Member Posts: 1,911
    I'm still around, mostly. We've just gotten SO busy and I haven't driven the Unlimited any place interesting in weeks! Gas got down to $2.98 and I was starting to think about off-roading again, but this weekend it went over $3.00 again (sigh). Long weekend and all.
  • keatskeats Member Posts: 412
    The last TJ was built on Thursday
    I'm really interested to see the new one. The pictures make it look much the same as it always has looked, but that can be deceiving. It may be the end of one era, but it could be the start of something better - I'm withholding judgement until I see the new one in person.

Having 4 doors in an Unlimited would be nice. I find getting things in and out of the back seat to be a strain sometimes, though having all that extra room compared to a SWB Wrangler is really nice!
  • iwntajeepiwntajeep Member Posts: 10
    Hey everybody, I posted back in May with questions on buying a 2006 Jeep Wrangler X. Well, I ended up gettin it right after memorial day. I'm only 18, so help from Mom and family helped a lot with the car buying processes. I got the price down to something I could afford and am now driving, with GREAT pride, a brand new Wrangler!!!

Its a black, trail rated X model. The only options on it is A/C and Cruise Control (for the drive to college this fall). I am having a blast and look forward to asking all of ya'll advice when I get up some money to start "buffing" it up, probably be a few years though...

Have I hugged my Jeep today?!?!? Heck, I hug mine everyday!!!
    Welcome! That bright shining light I see in the distance has to be that great, big grin still on your face, right?

Now you can tell everyone just how much FUN the Wrangler is. When they look at you like your crazy you can say, "It's a Jeep thing, you wouldn't understand." Does anyone know where that came from?
  • koolbreeze2koolbreeze2 Member Posts: 252
    Congrats!!!! Have fun and pay attention to the short wheel base. What tires did it come with? Soft top or hard top? 5 speed? Go Easy and Have Fun. John
    Thanks! It came with the tires that come stock on the Sport model b/c I payed a lil more for those. So I didn't have to get those lil' steal wheels set. Its a dark slate gray soft top. Its an '06 model so its a 6-speed. In the next couple years I would like to beef it up a lil bit with a small lift like 2 or 3 inches and put maybe 31" tires on there... just depends on what I want when I save up the money... thats when I'll be comin to everyone on here for advice. Plus I will prolly get a hardtop sometime soon.

I'm havin a ball with it! Every time I have a few days in a row of no rain in the forecast, the top comes down. I absolutely love it, and I've wanted a Wrangler for a good three years so its like I'm dreamin that I finally have one. I just hope I never wake up if it is a dream!!
  • erickplerickpl Member Posts: 2,735
    for now... :)

Got my rear and side armor on over the long weekend, but I still need to install backup lights (and wire em).

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

This stuff is STOUT!

About the only additional stuff I'd add would be a stronger tie rod, front D30 differential armor, and hopefully a cage upgrade. :)

Now, I'm ready for Windrock!

-Paul
    Hey everybody!
    eventhough I'm not financially ready to put a lift on my Jeep, I've still been lookin because basically I'm obsessed... haha... anyway, I found this deal that Rough Country is running on a 4" lift. I just want some feedback on how good a deal it is, and if its quality is good. The deal can be found here http://www.roughcountry.com/Jeep_TJ_4in.htm

Thanks and I'll be lookin forward to the responses...
    What do you want to achieve with a lift when you can afford it? Looking cool on the street is just as reasonable an ambition as being fully capable on an extreme trail.

However, it's important to be honest with yourself at the beginning in order to get both the best suited and the best value. For instance, for serious off-road use a more complex and better engineered lift will be required. As usual, you tend to get what you pay for. The biggest plus for the lift you're looking at is its low price.
    You are one happy Jeeper! Don't forget to use the "search this discussion" option when you have questions or just want to better inform yourself. There is alot of info to be obtained from the search option. Start with your tires so you get a sence of how they handle in rain/snow. Info on lifts,etc. Good luck and don't let friends drive your dream. Go Easy, John
  • drewmeisterdrewmeister Member Posts: 168
    Remember to look very pained at all your friends when they say "let's take your car" and say..."It's not a car. It's a Jeep."

Probably most of the people on this forum over 30 have at least one, maybe more, Jeeps that they wish they had never sold. We still keep pictures of them. So, do the maintenance, park in the shade, drive SLOWLY (I cannot emphasize this enough, treat this thing as a Mustang even one time and you can really get into trouble), wash off the road salt, etc. Keep it forever if you can.

Welcome to this unique little group. I'm in a few different forums re: Jeeps, and this one is one of the friendliest by far, as well as offering useful advice and minimal use of the word "XTREME". And we have Tom and Mac and Paul and John and Mtngal and...well, you get the idea. Post a pic of your new ride when you can!
  • tsjaytsjay Member Posts: 4,591
    iwntajeep:

CONGRATULATIONS ON THE NEW WRANGLER!

I'm sorry I'm a couple days late in sending along these congratulations, but this is my first time on the board since you posted.

You received good advice already... KEEP YOUR SPEED DOWN with that Jeep. Don't try to take corners at the same speeds as you would in a car. The very things that make a Jeep such a great off road vehicle, like the short wheel base, the narrow track, and the high ground clearance (which means a high center of gravity) are just the opposite of what you would want for good cornering.

Don't be in a big rush to add mods. Take your time to learn how everything relates before jumping into mods. Almost anything you do to modify your Jeep will mean that something else has to be changed as well.

Post some pics!

Tom
    Have you hugged your Jeep today?
    Thanks to everyone with their congratulations. I definitely am not gonna rush into anything for probably a year or two or possibly three. We'll just have to see. I had a Jeep Grand Cherokee before this so I have a respect for SUVs already with the turns, and I know that the Wrangler is a whole different story even still. With the manual transmission it seems to be easier to keep my speed down because I keep track of it better than I did with the automatic in the Cherokee.

The lift I'm just going ahead and looking at just to feed my obsession... I'm not jumping in to anything, just kinda gettin a feel for what I want. I don't think I'll ever do serious offroading... maybe a bumpy trail or somethin easy every now and again. So mainly all I'm lookin at is lookin good on the street, but still bein able to handle a trail with some water and mud...
  • wpowellwpowell Member Posts: 125
    I noticed a a little oil coming from the rear of the engine/front of the bellhousing when I was installing my lift a couple of weeks ago. Jeep is headed back to the dealer tomorrow (1 year old, first time back) and I have read elsewhere that DCJ, or at least some dealers, consider a seep "normal". Anyone have any experience with leaks and warranty response? Thanks!

BTW, the Rubicon Express 3.5 Super Flex has worked out really well. Very please so far both on and offroad.
    If the area around the seal housing is damp with oil that's normally considered ok. However, if oil is actually dripping out then the seal needs replacing.

However, dealer A may not act in the same way as dealer B. ;)
    Hey Jeep folks. Everybody probably has at least one second, third, etc. car, and that's the boat we currently find ourselves in. The current second car is a Focus, which has been pretty good. It's at 100k miles, but it just wasn't built to go forever, and the transmission is showing signs of checking out. Plus, I'd like to get something for my wife with better safety features. Since we all have Jeeps in common, I thought I'd ask what everyone might consider, rather than just hitting the "best sedan" forums first.
    Considerations:
    1-Price. Under 20k or close to it. (Got to leave room to put gas in it, ya know)
    2-Safety
    3-Reliability (it will commute 90 mi. each workday)
    4-Mileage (well, cause it will commute 90 mi. each workday)

I know mtngal just bought a Fit, and honestly it was on my short list, but she wants something bigger. I also know that everything I just said says "Camry", but the word Camry brings her to tears just like the word "Minivan" does to me... :P

So that's that. One choice was to trade the Wrangler to save money, but that was just irrational, and the thought passed.
    Mark,
    Wanted to say thanks to you and keats and mtngal for your posts regarding my job situation back in May. As all of you said it would, something did indeed work out!

I'll be working from home on contract for the next year, which means I can stop putting commuting wear and tear on the Jeep. Plus, almost no gas expenses! Furthermore, it gives me up to a year to find something else.

If I wind up having to commute long distances by next summer, so be it, but for now, all's well. I must admit it's a good feeling to have this settled. Thanks again for your kind words.
    Wow! Way to go - just knew something would work out for you! Hang in there, and enjoy that Jeep you hung onto.
    Has your wife actually been in the Fit yet? The reason I asked is that I was really surprised how roomy it is, and it sure doesn't feel like a small car. The Yaris is tiny compared to the Fit. The Scion XA is about the same size dimension-wise, but feels much smaller to me.

By the way, there's been reports of a Fit being in a head-on collision in a tunnel in the Bay Area (hit a Jeep by the way. Sad to say the Fit driver was reported to be driving the wrong way and appeared intoxicated). The pictures showed a smashed in front end, but they could open the driver's door and the driver only had a broken clavicle (collarbone). Not bad safety for a little car!

I'd react the same way to a Camry as she does - give me a Wrangler, a hatch back or anything except a sedan or a coupe (unless it's a Corvette, Porshe or something along those lines).
  • texasjeeptexasjeep Member Posts: 270
    I would get a Jetta diesel. You can't hardly beat the mpg (around 600 miles to a tank) and diesel is usually less expensive than gas.
  • div2div2 Member Posts: 2,580
    How about a 2004-up Mini Cooper?
  • erickplerickpl Member Posts: 2,735
    OOH, there goes div2, throwing a FUN car into the mix! :)

I'd LOVE a Mini Cooper S with a few goodies added. ;)

But how much cargo space do they really have? I'd love an Audi A4 or A6 avant for family hauling but those wouldn't be in the price range you're looking for.

Probably the best thing you could do, is check out sites like KBB and Edmunds and look at the various models that makers you like have available. Perhaps a Magnum wagon would work. Perhaps the Fit would meet your needs. Maybe the Honda Element would suit you. Regardless of what we say, you need to decide what elements/features YOU need in the car (don't think of price yet) and then see what cars meet your criteria. THEN apply your price constraints to it. Don't be afraid to consider pre-owned, especially if they can be certified pre-owned.

-Paul
    I took a new Mini for a test drive (3x). I ended up with a very scared salesperson and a car that loves to go. It was almost as much fun as a Wrangler. Not as small as it appears and loves corners almost as much as I do. The Wranglers in my life have kept me alive. I am now into slow and easy. I do test drives about once every three months just to keep the blood flowing. I love how the sales people look at black and red Rosie with confusion as I step into their new BMW or whatever (with no thought of buying). This has become a retirement hobby. The VW GTI wins for over the top test drive. Lots of fun and good on gas. That would be my choice.Bright Red. But I would keep Rosie so they could bury me in her after I go airborn in the GTI. Get what you love - life is short. I watch my gas by driving less but I understand that not everyone can do that. Go Easy, John
    "the driver only had a broken clavicle (collarbone). Not bad safety for a little car!"

God protects the drunk and the stupid...
    That's great, drewmeister. Glad to hear it. As for a car:
    Honda Accord
    Mazda 6
    Subaru Legacy
    VW Golf
  • dave__dave__ Member Posts: 80
    We just bought a new car for my wife. Research got us down to an Accord or a Camry. After driving them both we went with the Accord because while my wife thought the Camry was nicer, it was not $3,500 nicer.

Our Accord is an EX with leather but no navigation and it was around 23K.

It's not a Wrangler, but it is a nice addition. Now all we need is a motorcycle and an airplane! ;)

Yours in Jeep Coolness,

Dave
    I am happy that you are hanging on to the Wrangler. Keats had an excellent list of suggestions. I really like the VW Golf. I rented one once for 2 weeks and loved it. Good luck and Go Easy.

Mac- I reviewed all of the messages in the new Problems site. My hat is off to you. You have great knowledge and even greater patience. You are like a Jeep Therapist. It should be Dr. Mac. I learn alot just from reading the advice you give people. You and Tom have helped me just by your knowledgeable (and to the point) responses to other people. Very unselfish. A trait that is difficult to find from strangers (or anyone).Its an interesting (and somewhat depressing) site. I still go to this site first. Its much happier. Thanks, John
    I still go to this site first. Its much happier.

This board is more sociable, the other one by its very nature is perhaps a little gloomy, but getting a positive answer lifts the mood (I hope).

Thanks for the kind words, but don't forget that everyone is welcome to answer questions and post support.
  • goducks1goducks1 Member Posts: 432
    Mini Cooper S would be my choice. Close friend has one and it's a blast to drive, and it will age well.
  • div2div2 Member Posts: 2,580
    Mini Cooper S would be my choice. Close friend has one and it's a blast to drive, and it will age well.

Can't beat it for a daily driver, but what do I know? I drive my 1999 Sahara @35 miles per day Monday-Friday... :P
    Not my idea, I hit it via google though I adjusted the fitting a bit. Take two 1 1/4" x 1/2" tee pipe reducers and cut them in half lengthwise. Take a 1/2" PVC pipe and cut to fit. Presto, $4 top prop. Between this and the hard top dolly and the Penetrol restoration, I am one cheap @#$%.

Meant what I said about them aging well, too. There is something about the styling of certain vehicles that means they never look outdated, even when they are 10+ or even 20+ years old. This was a factor on me getting this Wrangler back in 1998. Cars that top my age-gracefully list:

Jeep Wranglers/CJs, Grand Wagoneers (the AMC ones)
    Mini Cooper
    most Mercedes sedans, coupes, and convertibles
    Porche 911
    Cars that top my age-gracefully list:......

To which I would add (and I'll keep it short):

Morgan (the quintessential British sports car which looks virtually the same as it did in 1930).

New Beetle (instantly recognizable roots).

AMG H1 (sadly, production of the H1 Alpha ceased last month, however the last one to roll off the line is very little different in appearance to the first HMMWV (or HUMMER) that appeared in 1983)

EDIT: I have to admit that 1 & 3 wouldn't be suitable choices for a backup commuter vehicle!
    Ah, the Morgan. Now that would be a car of choice. Park it right next to the Jeep and on a nice day you could take the Morgan in the morning (sounds like a song) and the Jeep in the afternoon. Talk about aging gracefully. John
    After a lot of shopping (GM apparently doesn't want me at it's Summer test drive events anymore, as I don't ever buy one), we've pretty much settled on two things. Volvo S40 (safety plus she's in love with it) and the new Rav4. I believe we'll probably go with the Rav, since it fits everything on the checklist. Price, mileage (non-awd and 4cyl gets 29 hwy rating!, for an SUV even), safety isn't really rated much yet, but side airbags are a plus, plus it isn't a small vehicle. She likes that she can see out well, and I like the fold-down extra seat in the rear, without having to buy a suburban or explorer or something. You can max one out at 27k or so, but we don't really need leather and nav and all that stuff. They start at around 21, but most dealers have them at about 23.

Thanks for all the advice. Now comes the annoying part..."whaddya mean where are the keys to your trade?". I am SO not looking forward to the inevitable wrestling match.
    "whaddya mean where are the keys to your trade?".

*lol* Oh, man, I remember when they went to test drive my trade when I bought our Grand Cherokee. They came back and said, "OK, let's go set down. I've got some numbers for you." I said, "where are my keys?" He said, "What?" I said, "I'd like my keys back before we start talking about numbers. That way when I don't like your numbers I can go across the street to the Ford dealer and buy an Explorer." The service manager came right over and I got to avoid the back and fourth garbage they pull. I was in and out in about 1 hour.

Btw, I had my Edmunds invoice and TMV for both my trade and the Grand, and I got $500 below that.
  • redrocker15redrocker15 Member Posts: 102
    Yikes! I know it's been a long time since I've posted anything here - - for numerous reasons. Now I'm posting with real mixed feelings.

I have my own business (yep, that's right - magnets, Tom). My wife recently got a new car, so we needed to decide whether her Blazer or my SE was more appropriate for picking up parts, etc. Clearly the Blazer wins in the 'practicality' category. (Please, no arguments - - I've struggled with all of these already.)

As an unmotivated seller, we learned that a friend of a neighbor girl needed a vehicle and had seen my Jeep. This girl and her father asked if they could come look it over, and I said yes. I'd just painted the faded wheel flares (the Krylon Fusion worked wonders!), washed and waxed it, so the Jeep looked great. Not shabby at all for a '98. They stopped by, and even though I was unmotivated to sell it, I couldn't curb my enthusiasm to "sell them on the Jeep thing". I put the top down, the windows were already out, referenced this forum for information, let the Dad take her (the daughter) for a drive since she needs to learn to drive a stick, and told the Mom that "when Dad gets back, he'll be grinning ear-to-ear and want this for his own." Bingo! Dead on! But the daughter was not likely to let this baby go to anyone else.

After some negotiating, letting his mechanic check it out, and so on, I'd convinced my wife that if these people were unwilling to meet my price, I'd just keep 'Eugene' since we knew the history, and it wouldn't cost us much to keep him as part of the family. I spoke with the Dad, told him the price was firm, and he said he'd check with his wife and call back. I knew I was sunk at that moment.

Sure enough, the only people we really showed 'Eugene' to ended up buying it. I guess the only positive is that their attitude is so pro-Jeep. The girl was making comments like "Of course you wouldn't just want to sell him to anybody...you'd have to know something about the people first" when she took her first ride. Plus the Dad figures she can learn to drive a manual in his Civic, while he drives the Jeep to work just to check it out ;)

I'm fairly crushed by all of this. This is the first time since March 2000 that I've been Jeep-less. Again, it helps that Michele and her Dad will be really good Jeep owners. I'm not sure how I'll react the first time Michele comes to visit her friend next door....

There will be another Wrangler in my future. The sooner the better.
    I can certainly relate to your dilemma about selling Eugene. I felt the same way when we had to face the fact we needed something other than 2 Wranglers, and I had to give up my Noble Black Steed. However, I sold him to a Jeep person who's also a mechanic, and he'll definitely get more use than he was spending most of the time parked in my driveway. It was hard to look out the first morning and see only GiGi and the Fit in the driveway. I love having the soft top, and the Unlimited is much easier to live with than the Sport, but it just isn't quite as much fun.

Wonder if we should start a book on how long it takes you to come to the conclusion you don't want to be Jeep-less any more?
  • aphaltcommandoaphaltcommando Member Posts: 32
    It depends on what you want the back-up vehicle to do. I have an F-350 dualie crew cab for hauling, an '06 Hyundai Elantra for milage, a GSXR 1000 for ADRENALIN, and a restored 1940 Taylorcraft BC 65 (airplane) for C L A S S. :shades:
  • wpowellwpowell Member Posts: 125
    Congratulations on a nice collection, but that's helpful how?? :confuse:
    funny, I got a call from a buddy today pestering me for details of the 07 Unlimited. He sold his 95 Rio Grande YJ around the time of kid #1, now that kid #2 is a toddler, he's ready to get back into a Jeep. He always drives mine around wistfully when visiting.
  • aphaltcommandoaphaltcommando Member Posts: 32
    wpowell,
    It is helpful from the standpoint that far too many people try to fit one vehicle into many different roles, and then complain about the fact that they don't do all of them well. I bought my F-350 to PULL. I have had over a ton in it while pulling a 30 foot trailer behind it. It does this while climbing hills with ease, but it will only get 10 MPG empty or full. That's why I bought the '06 Elantra, (36 MPG). There was a person on one of the threads here that complained that their Wrangler only did 80 MPH on the highway. Someone rightly said that if he wanted a Mustang, he should have BOUGHT one.
    My 4 cyl. Wrangler will only do about 65, but I take it places that would give a mountain Goat a nosebleed. Brie :shades:
  • guy21guy21 Member Posts: 129
    Has anyone heard:

When they are orderable
    What pricing will be
    When they are starting production (other than pilot)
    When the dealers might see them
    I don't know yet, and even the lead time has yet to be determined (though it'll probably be four to six weeks as usual). However, if you want a soft top with half doors the bad news is that you'll have to wait until next year, as at present (GCH) Half Doors have a Job #1 of 1/31/07.
  • hanzyhanzy Member Posts: 1
    i bought my 6th, yes 6th wrangler last aug. i have had a 91-93-95-97-2001, and bought a loaded sport last aug. at 6k miles the rotors went. anyone have this prob? the brakes are just NOT right. theystill feel playful. love the ride, suspension and all else, but the braking is horrible. kraigheiligmann@yahoo.com
    I haven't had problems with my Unlimited (04) or the 98 Sport (replaced those rotors at around 110,000 miles). Haven't done anything to the Unlimited yet, either brake pads or rotors (80,000 miles - majority of those miles on the highway). If I were you, I'd be talking to the dealer about it.
    The rotors on my 2004 X needed to be replaced at around 13K or just beyond warranty. The dealer I took it too replaced them under warranty anyway. :)

They've been fine ever since and I have about 37K now.

6 Wranglers? At your pace I'm due for a new one! Nice of you to break in those 5 other vehicles, I bet they're all still running for someone. ;)

Yours in Jeep Coolness,

Dave
    We all know the Wrangler does not get the greatest mileage around. For the last few weeks, I was wondering how much I could save in gas if I had another commuting vehicle.

I love my Jeep so it would have to be another vehicle that made me happy and got way better gas mileage. I thought the best option especially for the purpose of doing the financial analysis, was a motorcycle. It fit the characteristics I was looking for; cheap (relatively), fun, great mileage.

I put together a little spreadsheet (I know, what a nerd!) and compared the Honda Rebel to the Wrangler. The Rebel is probably not enough bike to commute with but it's cheap, get's great mileage (50 mpg) and if it doesn't make financial sense then nothing will.

I simply looked at the cost in fuel to drive the Jeep on my 60 mile commute and compared it to the cost in fuel to ride the bike. Then I divided the cost of the motorcycle (purchase price, helmet, gear, insurance, etc.) by the fuel savings to see how many trips it would take to pay for itself.

With gas at $3.00/gallon it would take 491 trips to work to pay for itself. If I conservatively estimate that I'll ride it to work an average of 1 day per week (more in the summer, hardly at all in the winter) then it would take me at least 10 years to pay for the bike with the money I'd save on gas.

I will probably still buy a motorcycle someday because I want one. But for now, I'm feeling better about the real cost of my Wrangler's mileage.

Yours In Jeep Coolness,

Dave