Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Jeep Wrangler

Comments

• div2div2 Member Posts: 2,580
    Kudos for having the common sense to do the math before making a rash decision. That said, I think it's best to buy a bike and learn to ride it well BEFORE you need to rely on it for everyday transport. I strongly suggest taking the Motorcycle Safety Foundation's Basic Rider Course. Bikes are provided and you'll get a good idea as to whether or not you really do want to take the two wheel plunge. Motorcycle riding is a blast, but it requires a serious commitment if you want to become an accomplished and safe rider.
  • pirate8pirate8 Member Posts: 9
    i am planning to buy a new vehicle i was thinking of a midsize sedan, but i couldnt resist the thought of the Jeep Wrangler in the back of my mind. i always wanted one and i probably will end up with the Jeep. so i need some help on what kind i should buy, and all that stuff. and note that my previous car purchases were 05 corolla sports and a malibu, also 05. i will turn in the malibu and keep the corolla for the gas mileage :) . and also should i go for the used or the new? i need help. even though i have loved jeeps all my life. i need some real help. :(
  • mtngalmtngal Member Posts: 1,911
    Sounds like you have Wrangler Fever, and the only way to deal with it is to buy one. It never goes away (at least it didn't for me).

It's really hard to recommend what Wrangler someone should be looking at without knowing what type of use you are going to use it for. Is it going to be used only on the street? Long distance commutes? Lots of tough off-roading? What's best under some conditions might not be the right thing for other ones.

Just my opinion, but if you plan on never off-roading I wouldn't spend the extra money for a Rubicon. It's a great trail vehicle, but if you aren't going to be rock crawling and doing extreme things, then save your money and get another model.

If you are going to use it for a long distance commute, like mine, then an Unlimited is easier to live with - it's more stable than the short wheelbase Sport (I've commuted 150 miles a day in both).

If you are going to be using it around town, want something that's easy to park, then think about either the X, Sport or possibly the 4 cylinder. If you are going to put a lot of highway miles on it, then skip the 4 cylinder. The short wheelbase Wranglers are just more fun to me, but not a relaxing drive.

Any of the Wranglers, including the 4 cylinder, can take quite a bit of off-roading without any modification. I saw the pictures that Paul took when he took his (more or less) stock 4 cylinder on some advanced trails at Camp Jeep and had no problems.

As far as gas mileage, it isn't great. I also did the math to see if I could recoup the cost of a fuel-efficient vehicle, and gas would have to stay around $3.30 for 4 years before my Fit will come close to paying for itself. When you commute 150 miles every day, it won't take as long.
  • lauryn2000lauryn2000 Member Posts: 5
    I have that "fever" for the new 2007 Wrangler's,that are coming out in the next month or so. :sick:
    But,I will be purchasing a 2dr one,I've had the fever since
    the early 90's when I had my Bronco II.
  • pirate8pirate8 Member Posts: 9
    i have decided to go with the new one. and i know i am defenitely not buying the rubicon, because i dont need to do extreme off roading stuff. i am leaning toward the unlimited, because i will be taking long road trips. even though i am doing alot of inner city driving i think i will go with the Unlimited. but i am also looking to do a little bit of offroading, so hoping that the Unlimited will do the jobs.
  • aphaltcommandoaphaltcommando Member Posts: 32
    Dave,
    The bad thing about using a bike to commute with is that if it rains, and you have an office job, your appearence is going to be shot to hell. Even if you work in a factory, you are going to feel like a drowned rat during your commute. (This is written by someone who owns a sport bike, and has ridden since she was 18). What would make more sence, would be a car with milage in the high thirties. It would cost more initially, but you could use it a LOT more often, bring friends, and dedicate the Jeep for FUN driving with some serious parts. That is the situation that I have. I use the Suzuki for banzai runs through the corners, the F-350 duelie for serious hauling, the Wrangler for rock collecting in places that would give a mountain goat a nosebleed, and the '06 Elantra for EVERYTHING else. I'm not rich, everything except the Elantra is 1990 something. I just use everything for what it excells at, and the Elantra gives me 35-37 to the gallon. Brie
  • skyking49skyking49 Member Posts: 112
    I have an 06 wrangler X and had problems the first day I drove it. After a couple of months of the vibration I took it to the dealer, still under warranty, and they replaced both roters. They said "it happens."
  • wpowellwpowell Member Posts: 125
    Just rolled over 10K miles on my '05 Unlimited yesterday at just shy of one year old. Only brake "problem" came after a near panic stop when pulling a 3,500# boat downhill (Unlimited is rated to tow this weight). The boat trailer has brakes but I still heated the front pads enough to stick to the rotors leaving a residue that creates symptoms of warped rotors. Not sure what your problem was, but "warped" rotors are often not really warped; they just have a buildup of pad material in one spot that can be removed. I went to an open section of road with no traffic, got to a speed of about 50 mph and braked hard almost to a stop then IMMEDIATELY got off the brakes. Repeated this about three times which created enough heat and friction to remove the pad material that had been burned onto the rotors. The "warped rotor" feedback in the steering disappeared completely.
  • glassgirlglassgirl Member Posts: 8
    Hello again everyone,
    Okay got another problem to ask about. Sometimes I hear a popping noise coming out from under the passener front tire area. You can hear it sounds like right under the glove co mpartment area. It doesnt do it everytime I drive it. People have said its because jeeps are so tight that this is bound to happen. I have an 03 wrangler sahara edition, no lift either, (although I wish I did).
    Thanks in advance,
    glassgirl
    lovin my jeep!!
  • drewmeisterdrewmeister Member Posts: 168
    I think waiting till the 07 is out is a good choice. I know a lot of us crotchety Jeepers complain about change, but I'm thinking the JK is going to be very cool. I'm going to keep my current Unlimited, because it's just too painful to part with. How many vehicles can you hear that about repeatedly? That's the Jeep thing.

Anyway, like most people I've had more than one. Then I sell them, regret it, and a couple years later I buy another. However, and this is a big one, PLEASE BE SURE WHAT YOU'RE GETTING INTO! Wrangler people are a bit nuts. Tom and Ray on Car Talk even say so. We give ourselves kidney problems. We ignore rattles and squeaks. We get smashed and burned fingers from fiddling with difficult tops. We enjoy dirt in the interior. We cannot hear the stock radio. People constantly flip us off on high-speed freeways, because we're worried about the top coming off if we go too fast. This stuff is not normal. Your other two cars will feel light-years ahead in technology.

I cannot promise the new JK will be this way, but Daimler-Chrysler has promised all of us that it will still retain "Jeepness", so let's hope so.

If you just want to go for some mild-wheeling once a year, and like the small size for parking, a Liberty can do that. I've driven them, they're nice and ride pretty well. My Dad's Grand is fantastic in dirt, and rides pretty quiet on the highway and tows his boat. But he has no desire to get blown around in an open vehicle that's not on the water. (It's a similar experience, now that you think about it.)

Anyway, the reason I say this is that we've heard from quite a few unhappy people on this board, who don't like the mileage, ride, noise, or experience. It's kind of our duty to make sure you have a good experience. I'd say to rent one for a week, but I know not everyone can. I used to work at a used car lot in the service bay (1993), and used to drive them around on lunch and breaks. When they got an 89 trade-in with all the tops and 29k miles, I bit hard. Had to start actually commuting and sold it. Man I miss that one. So, don't say you weren't warned as you're flipping through the Quadratec catalog and trying to figure out where to store the tops :P
  • drewmeisterdrewmeister Member Posts: 168
    Hey,
    Interior or suspension? Yes, they do rattle, as my windshield frame occasionally makes some "clicking" on hot days. Does it do it only when turning, or only on bumps? Or all the time on smooth roads?

Suspension issues can be serious. You might have someone drive around with you in the passenger seat so you can hear it better. If it is coming from the suspension, I'd get it to a shop to have it checked out.

You can also post this in the Problems and Solutions board for Wranglers. mac24 answers a bunch of questions like this over there.
  • kginfjeepkginfjeep Member Posts: 8
    Hi, I have a '05 Unlimited that I have dual tops. Just put on the soft top for the second time, and it is making quite a "buzz"/flapping noise at the 2 bow (I believe I have the number right - the bow directly above the driver's head, held down via Velcro built into the soft top). I have full metal doors.

The sound is almost like the Velcro itself is buzzing. Sound appears to be coming from the sides of the top. Applying pressure to the top (from inside) doesn't affect the noise. I noticed that the top is noticably more taught between the windshield and this 2 bow than between the 2 bow and towards the rear.

I have checked the velcro on the side windows and don't see any looseness there.

Is this noise "normal"? Any ideas on how to correct, as I said, this is only 2nd time I have installed soft top, may have screwed up. Also, the top was not on the vehicle very long for the first time, still very new condition/tight.
  • mcrrtmcrrt Member Posts: 93
    While sitting inside the Jeep, look along either side of the soft top. Near the rear edge of each door is a metal bracket with a pull ring attached. Each side of the soft top frame has a block that should seat in that bracket and "snap" into place when it's secure (You'd have to pull the ring to release it again). If one or both of these blocks aren't latched into their brackets, it could account for the sound you're hearing. These attachments serve to hold the soft top down when you have the Sunrider open. I didn't describe this real well, so check your owner's manual for other details and pictures. Let us know if this solves your problem! :)

-Marcus
    I would suggest that you check the following things. Make sure that the pins above the rear of the door on each side are in place to hold the top in place (I think these are unique to our LJ's). There are also a couple of half round plastic "guides" near the same location that rest on top of the bows to make sure the bows are centered and extended all the way up. Make sure one or both haven't slipped to one side and created some slack in the top. Next, unfasten and refasten the velcro around both bows and get it as tight as you can. Then, do the same along the top of the rear windows pulling the top down as tight as you can over the windows. You should not have any flapping to speak of with a new top up to maybe 60+ mph, at least that's been my experience. Good luck, post results.
  • guestguest Member Posts: 770
    Are the windows and top, stretching "in" or "out" at highway speeds? If they are going in, like pulling a vacuum, try turning your fan blower speed up to pressurize the cabin. The venting changed several years ago, maybe Mac24 can explain.
  • mac24mac24 Member Posts: 3,910
    If they are going in, like pulling a vacuum, try turning your fan blower speed up to pressurize the cabin. The venting changed several years ago.............

The change of cabin venting through the tailgate in '03 doesn't make any difference to the behaviour of the soft top.

However, if the HVAC is set to recirculate then the top will be sucked in, regardless of the blower setting. This effect is caused by a low pressure area at the rear of the vehicle which increases with road speed. On any of the other settings (which will admit outside air through the grille below the windshield), the top will be pressurized. The degree to which it will be affected is controlled by a combination of vehicle speed and blower setting.
    The Unlimited is better for long trips, and it isn't bad for parking in the city - more like a regular car. The gas mileage will be worse (or at least it was for me) - our manual Sport used to get about 2 mpg more than the auto Unlimited does (both of them are horrible in the city). Any of the Wranglers, including the Unlimited, will be fine for easy to moderate off-roading without any modifications.

As was pointed out, the Wrangler isn't for everyone. You do give up lots of creature comforts for the fun of it. The Unlimited is quite a bit quieter than the SWB Wranglers - they built it with extra padding to cut down on the road noise. It wouldn't surprise me if the new ones will continue this and be at least comparable to the Unlimited (that being said, it's still noisier than most cars - remember there's only either a fiberglass shell or a piece of cloth between you and the outdoors).

Forgot to mention - Wranglers hold their value so getting a late-model, low mileage vehicle will set you back almost as much as a new one. You probably are better buying new, unless you are looking for an older one as a project.
    Mac and everyone,
    thanks for the helpful tips, had too much on schedule tonight to test, just inspected, will try tomorrow.
    I definitely had the HVAC on recirculate, noticed windows bowing inward. So that is at least part of the problem.
    I also see that the velcro could be tighter near the corners of the 2 bow, will re-seat everything tomorrow. And the side windows velcro attachment looks reasonable, but will re-check
    The pins were already locked in place, had checked that before.
    Thanks again to all, will keep posted with progress.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Everything you wanted to know about saving gas in your Wrangler. (Strategies for Smart Car Buyers)

Tell us how you are doing in the Jeep Wrangler: MPG - Real World Numbers discussion.
  • moharamohara Member Posts: 16
    well, i have had my wrangler for about a year and a half and this week i had to take it in for my first serious fix. it started idling rough a few months ago, and its conditioned slowly worsened so that it began to sputter when attempting to accelerate from an idle, and it became just about impossible to restart when stopping on a hill (manual transmission). i tried checking things and a few quick things like replacing the plugs, wires, distributor, etc. but it made no difference. then last week, when trying to accelerate off a red light, it sputtered out and died and i had to limp it to the shoulder of the road. at that point, I had to take it to a mechanic.

It took them two days, but they determined that the crankshaft position sensor had died and was not relaying the signals. the stress from this had damaged the ignition coil so both had to be replaced. not that difficult a fix, but it would likely have taken me a long time to figure out the problem. i am paying the price for having them do the diagnostic. so i offer this to anyone who might experience similar issues. check these components out.

keep the faith,

Michael
  • koolbreeze2koolbreeze2 Member Posts: 252
    Taking Rosie The Jeep to Cape Cod for 5 days. Due to gas prices I have not done as much summer riding as I would like. Its time to pack the fishing poles, some cold stout and hit the road.John
  • jplymanjplyman Member Posts: 90
    Okay the crazy part first - My wife and I are thinking of getting rid of one our cars and picking up a Wrangler Unlimited - we both have wrangler fever - we use to have GC that was awsome except when it broke down and we replaced it with a Ford Expedition. We have been toying with this for the last year or so - we even took our kid out in a test drive - the crazy part is we are thinking of parting with our '04 Audi which gets 24.5 MPG - so here are my questions:

1. What kind of mileage are people getting with thier jeeps - I comute 60 miles a day and currently via 285 in Atlanta - my wife only commutes 10 miles a day (lucky her)

2. We have a 4 year old and will be adopting a little girl next year - how do you feel with young kids in the Jeep in car seats & how do they like it?

Thanks and any other information would be gladdy taken.

John
  • erickplerickpl Member Posts: 2,735
    1. What kind of mileage are people getting with thier jeeps - I comute 60 miles a day and currently via 285 in Atlanta - my wife only commutes 10 miles a day (lucky her)

2. We have a 4 year old and will be adopting a little girl next year - how do you feel with young kids in the Jeep in car seats & how do they like it?

Honestly, you won't even come close to 24.5 and the safety rating of the Wrangler probably won't compare to a newer generation Audi.

Having kids in a Wrangler probably won't be the easiest, but it IS easier with an Unlimited. I personally would go for something like an Audi A6 Avant for that situation (or a Passat Wagon - same chassis).

If you can wing it, find an older Unlimited and your payments will likely be less, AND you can modify it for offroad if that is your goal, and not be modding up a brand new rig.

-Paul
    No takers in the Jeep Wrangler: MPG - Real World Numbers discussion yet?

/hint ;)
  • erickplerickpl Member Posts: 2,735
    There is NO WAY I am going to figure what my mileage is on my TJ. If I did, I'd probably cry and end up selling Kermit. There is NO way I'm selling him. :)

So I just bury my head, put it in 4lo, and keep on crawlin.

-Paul
    LOL, so that explains the big empty in that board.
  • keatskeats Member Posts: 412
    That sounds excellent. It's been years since I've been to the Cape. We're heading to Stonington, Maine next week, though!
    1. Mileage is terrible. I've always been just about the mileage champ around here, only because I have a huge elevation difference between work and home (live at about 6,000 feet, work at sea level). I gain more mpg going downhill than I use going uphill. So keeping in mind that you might not be able to get as much as I do - my auto Unlimited gets between 17-18 plus mpg on our commute normally (150 miles round trip, 90% highway, some slow-n-go, some high speed - if you want to call no faster than 65 "high speed" and using the cruise control to enforce that speed). Add any wind and it goes down significantly. Add in some stop and go, lots of stop signs or lights and it drops to below 14. Driving more than 65 lowers my mileage by almost 1 mpg, over 70 and it will be worse than that. In other words, mileage is terrible.

2. I don't have kids, however, I'm often reaching into the back to get things out of the back seat. Before you buy, take your car seats and try putting them in and taking them out several times. Its awkward, but not impossible, so make sure you are willing to deal with it, especially if you will be doing it often.

Have I scared you off yet? If not, then go get your car seats and visit a dealer to find your Wrangler. If the lousy mileage and awkward accessibility hasn't scared you off, then you have Wrangler fever and you'll feel much better when you have one in your driveway.
  • koolbreeze2koolbreeze2 Member Posts: 252
    I don't even bother keeping track. I know I get about 300 miles per tank. Thats with top down almost all summer. I have 6 grandchildren. Three of them race motocross and have for years. They love the Jeep. I almost have to duct tape them in their seats to keep them in. I drive very easy with them in the Jeep and stay very aware. It only about a foot between them and the tailgate, then the spare and thats it. No real neck protection per whiplash possibilities. Actually, no protection. I would look at the Unlimited for a little extra protection. Its a personal choice but be fully aware of what your getting into with a Jeep.Keep asking questions.Also,can you rent one for a few days? Have you had one before? Well, I am off to the Cape. Have fun Keats!!!! Good Luck, John
  • mcrrtmcrrt Member Posts: 93
    Hi John,

I've had my Unlimited for a little more than 2 years now. I commute about 12 miles each way to work, and my general driving is about 50/50 city/freeway. I've been getting about 17mpg overall with "normal" driving (no more than 65 on the freeway, using cruise). If I specifically drive for economy (60 on the freeway, slow starts from stop lights, coasting down hills and off-ramps, anything to keep the revs below 2000), I can get 19. In an area like Atlanta, you might not be able to get away with some of my "tricks" without angering other drivers (I live in rural Michigan). As Mtngal mentioned, mileage really drops off after about 60 mph.

Regarding children, I have twin 2 1/2 year olds who enjoy riding in the Jeep. The extra room helps, and their booster seats fit just fine. It's a little awkward to crawl back there to buckle them in, but it's not a big issue as this is not our primary kid vehicle. They sit up high, and really like the view out the big windows. Common sense will tell you it's not as safe as your Audi (no side or curtain airbags, fabric or fiberglass top that offers little protection, not as stable as a car in emergency maneuvers), so I don't know as I'd recommend it as an everyday kid transporter.

How about replacing the Expedition with the Unlimited, and keep the Audi for economy/kid shuttle?

All that being said, any Wrangler is going to be pretty loud, ride stiffly, and get lousy mileage. I still love mine! ;)

-Marcus
    Regarding getting rid of the Expedition - not an option we both like the ride and it is great for trips. That is my primary commuter also (60 Miles) my hope is that the Wranler Unlimited would be able to match the Expedition awesome milage of 16 MPG if I drive and 14 if my wife drives.

I'm a big guy 6'1 and just north of 250 (trying to go south of that) - we are looking at this as our second car to take on camping trips and to the lake. Also, we will have to fight over who gets to take it each day :-).

We have been debating about a Wrangler since 2000 - at that time we bought a GC and decided we didn't want two Jeeps - should have sold the GC LOL.

So I guess the bottom line is we are crazy - the Audi a great car but its to small for me - I like sitting up high and having some room.

Thank you all for your insight into the crazy world....
    I have an 05 Unlimited, commute 60 miles a day also, about 52 of those are highway. When I have calculated the mileage, it is usually 17-18 mpg.

I think the access to the rear seat would be difficult with baby seats, you definitely need to try it out before buying.

I enjoy owning the vehicle, but only as a second car, not as the primary vehicle for kids. The upcoming 4 door version could be a big improvement...
    Ditto on all of the previous feedback. I have had an unlimited for a year; mileage is rotten, its a pain to get the kids in and out, its not inherently as safe as most kid haulers...and I wouldn't trade it for anything. I have a 2yr old and a 5 yr old and they love the Jeep. My 2yr old son complains everytime we get in my wife's Volvo SUV and yells "Jeep!" every time we pass one on the road. Understand what you are getting into and do NOT buy one without installing the car seat(s) and climbing in and out of the back to buckle in the kids a few times. I would also highly recommend the Unlimited with the stability and extra crumple zone that comes with the 15 extra inches of overall length. Lastly, mine is armored up with aftermarket front and rear bumpers and rocker protection which I hope adds some protections in the event of an accident. Good luck!
  • keatskeats Member Posts: 412
    I must say, I put off buying a Jeep, which I always wanted, until my daughter was 7. But, crumple zone is not the worry. I don't believe there is a crumple zone. The rear bumper sits right on the frame rails. The frame is not going to crumple all the way into the back seat in a collision, unless the Jeep is behind an immovable object. So, don't let that determine whether you get an swb or an LJ. The real safety issue is that the roof is not fixed. So, if you believe your children shouldn't do anything without a super-duper padded helmet, then go buy a Volvo. If you are a safe driver, and watch what you're doing buy what you want. I drove both an LJ and an swb, and the swb was by far more fun to drive. It felt like a REAL Jeep (no offense LJ owners).

I remember being 8 years-old and riding on the back of my dad's Gold Wing, and I thought it was the best thing in the world. Thank God he wasn't a soccer mom deathly afraid for my safety. Those are some of my fondest memories...
  • 99tj99tj Member Posts: 187
    speaking of gas mileage...has DC scrapped any ideas of putting the Diesel in the new Wranglers? Seems to me that would help significantly. A guy I work with drives a diesel Jetta and get's crazy MPG..close to 50, and drives like a nut to boot. On the flip side, he's had tons of trouble with the vehicle and not much support from VW.

-Dan
    I read elsewhere that the diesel won't pass the stricter emissions standards and is also being dropped for the Liberty. Export Wranglers will get the diesel as an option. Maybe Mac or someone can confirm.
    As promised, here is my report on this problem, which I noticed above 50 mph.

The problem appears to be caused by the velcro built into the top that wraps around the 2 bow.
    I find that less noise occurs if I just leave this velcro "flap" resting on top of the 2 bow. I may experiment with putting some cloth "shims" between the 2 bow and the top to see if this increased tension makes things even quieter.

But bottom line - the velcro - when stressed by the top flexing - made a crinkling noise that I found annoying.

Also, I confirmed that in my Jeep, changing the A/C between fresh and recirculate did not make a tangible difference in this problem, but I think that having it in fresh air may keep the side windows bowed out a bit, which seems to cut a little noise from there.

Thanks everyone for your suggestions and willingness to help!
    Thanks for posting the results. I think you'll want to put the velcro back in place before lowering the top so that everything folds up nicely. I wonder if the velcro noise would have stopped over time as it reached its "comfort zone"?? I don't have a similar noise but I don't recall if I had any of that early on.
    Okay after the feed back and the fever which never goes away we are hoping to get a good deal on a 2006 Unlimited - our son is very excited - anybody have a dealer in the Metro Atlanta area that was either really good or really bad.

Can't wait!

Thanks for all the info.

John
    LOL! Yep, you've got Wrangler fever all right. Wonder how long it will be after you get yours before you try some trail somewhere and really get hooked (Tom, I'm thinking about you - hope things are going all right for you and that you are hitting the trails a lot).

I'm bummed because they just closed a significant part of the national forest I live in, including one trail that I enjoy exploring in the early morning. I can't really complain - the closure is a fire closure - there's an active fire burning all along that ridge (sigh). Paul, if you are around - the fire is all along that ridge north of Frazier Park itself, getting a little too close for comfort to us, but not where there's any threat.
  • ocean_shipperocean_shipper Member Posts: 70
    Hi Everyone.

I had a 2000 Wrangler Sahara 5/sp. Now have a 2003 Wrangler Sahara auto.

For some reason, it APPEARS that the turning radius in the 2003 is not as great as the 2000. Is this possible?

Last time a asked a "is this possible" question, it was about lower sitting seats. I got that one solved with the seat risers from Buchannan Machinery. They work GREAT!

I do hope that the turning radius issue is in my head, cause I have a feeling that if it isn't... the mod on that could be a doosey!

Thanks for any thoughts - Chuck :confuse:
    The turning radius should be the same, due to yours having the same basic components as the earlier models. However, it's possible that yours was set conservatively at the factory. Adjustment can be made after the fact, though you will incur the great expense required for the purchase two bolts and two nuts.

The procedure is the reverse of that needed to reduce the turning radius when fitting larger tires. The adjustment bolts need to be screwed in which will allow the wheel to turn further before hitting the bolt head. New locknuts are required because when the setting is made at the factory the nuts are welded to the bolts to prevent any further adjustment.

• jefferson1964jefferson1964 Member Posts: 330
    Hi everyone...its been since probably september since ive posted...hope everyone is doing well.....

Ive owned several jeeps but it looks like over $3 a gallon is here to stay and probably higher if a hurricain heads toward the gulf of mexico. I sold my 98 GC and Envoy and moved to a Pontiac Vibe which is getting 35mpg. I still own my 05 Rubi Unlimited but the wife has taken over as she does not drive much but still hurts when we fill up and its $45+. I really like the new wrangler coming out in the fall but with gas prices the way they are its just doesnt make $$$ sense to buy one. I had plans to go to Colorado later this summer wheel the rockies with jeep jamboree. I have reservations but hesitant now as gas continues to climb and its a 16 hour one way drive at 15-16mpg. I'll probably just stay home...its a bummer...

If gas prices continue to climb only the people with lots of disposable income or down right rich will be driving the fun vehicles with low MPG while us working stiffs will be in the small tin cans to save cash....class distinction will be more obvious on the road and not just in a neighborhood....
  • jefferson1964jefferson1964 Member Posts: 330
    If i were in your situation and really wanted a wrangler and had a child (i do also) i would wait for the new wrangler to hit in the fall. If mileage is not an issue no biggie but if it is get ready for a hit. Ive average right at 16mpg and is why i let the wife drive it as her primary and i switiched to a Vibe. Like the vibe luv the wrangler, lol....

The unlimited is nice with its extra space in the back but kinda a pain to get my 3 year old buckled in. Im sure when he is 4+ he can do it himself but till then its no fun. What i found out here in my area...dallas/fort worth...the resale value of vehicles with low MPG have slumped. I talked to a dealer about placing an order for a new wrangler and just getting the bare bones 4 door as my wife luvs the jeep but they priced mine and only wanted to give me $15,000...and its an 05 auto rubi unlimited soft top with 14K miles...

If u really want a wrangler get one but just be aware the MPG is pitifull so be ready to spend some $$$ on fuel...
  • ocean_shipperocean_shipper Member Posts: 70
    Thanks for the information, Mac.

Question, if the lock nuts are welded to the bolts, how do I get them out so I can replace them with ones that would allow a tighter turning radius?

Thanks for the picture. I will have to get under my Jeep to see exactly where the nuts are positioned relative to where they could be.
    if the lock nuts are welded to the bolts, how do I get them out so I can replace them with ones that would allow a tighter turning radius?

Just use a ring wrench or a deep socket on the nut and the nut/bolt will unscrew together. Take them to the hardware store and match them up.

The picture illustrates how to reduce the turning radius by placing a washer behind the nut, so yours won't have a washer there. Start with the new bolt set to the same depth as the original then screw it in a turn at a time until the tires just rub at full lock, then back it out half a turn and lock it with the nut. Each side will need to be adjusted separately.
  • dnashdnash Member Posts: 35
    I got mine (2000 Chili Pepper Edition) at the dealer in Cartersville and had a good experience, but back then they didn't have a great selection. Marietta Jeep seemed to have a great selection, but I liked the one in Cartersville and never pursued purchasing one there.
    So what color is your Rubi and how much are you looking to get for it - I might be able to swing a trip to the DFW area - The Atlanta area gas guzzlers are holding there value shot me an email I change my address to public -

As far as gas mileage goes - our Audi is to small for me so I drive our Expedition on my daily comute and my wife drives the Audi about 150 miles a week so our gas bill will go up about 15 a week or so - cut back on meals out.

Also, on MPG I can be a good miser - I got 23.9 on my trip here this AM coming across 285 in our expedition with the big engine - I may have made some people mad.... Oh well they not the ones paying my gas bill
  • jpr18jpr18 Member Posts: 5
    I spotted the new Jeep Wrangler Unlimited 4-dr in Las Vegas, Nevada on 7/20/06. Behind it was the new Dodge Nitro. I got a picture, but its blurry, but you can clearly see the Dodge but not the Jeep because it was towing a trailer.
  • outdoorszeeoutdoorszee Member Posts: 2
    Hey all,

I am looking at a 2006 model and was wondering if I am being foolish, looking at a wrangler with a toddler at home. My ex is worried that the vehicle is too tippy and doesn't have the safety equipment for the kids and is also unsure a child seat can even be installed. I owned a 1999 before this worry but don't recall how childseat ready it is or for that matter how safe the vehicle was.

Any thoughts??

Derek