Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Jeep Wrangler

Comments

• jplymanjplyman Member Posts: 90
    Derek -

You may want to look back a few pages in the Am I crazy and Gas milege question that I posted as I'm in the processes of buying an '06 Limited - Wranglers have gotten a lot better with there tippiness but like any SUV type they can roll over if you drive them improperly. The '06 wrangeler (I've only looked at the Unlimited but would think both would have it) have the LATCH system so a car seat would attach very easily. also check out the www.iihs.org and safecar.gov for crash test scores.

Good Luck

John
    Well I think we are going to sign the paperwork tomorrow on a new 06 Unlimited Black with the H package - $22,500 out the door could get a little better but they gave me a much better trade value....

Derek - Our 4 year old is loving the Jeep and there is LATCH you will need that b/c the seat bell doesn't lock very well. Also, I find getting into the back very easy to get the seat in and out.

Now its time to start finding some good accesories.... any advice where to find accessories would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks to everyone!!!
    Hello all - well we signed the paperwork today but not on the black - we got the bright silver.

Now its time to have fun - has anyone connected an iPod to thier 2006 wrangler with in-dash 6 CD changer or an XM roady?

Thanks

PS Loving the wrangler just have to come up with name for her now.
  • 99tj99tj Member Posts: 187
    OK, I have one of those random noise questions. I know it's impossible to diagnose a noise on a message board :blush:, but hears to hoping someone else has had the same issue.

When I push in my clutch, I hear a "click or tap" at full pressure (to the floor). It's happening every time.

Is this a sign it's ready to die? BTW, it's a 99 with about 70,000 miles on it.

Any info is appreciated.

-Dan
  • mac24mac24 Member Posts: 3,910
    Is this a sign it's ready to die?

I don't know, but with 70K miles of use on it you should probably prepare yourself, both mentally and financially, for its replacement in the not too far distant future.

The use of a friend (to press the pedal), and a long, thin, screwdriver (to use as a stethoscope), will help in isolating where the noise is coming from, which could be anywhere from the pedal to the clutch itself.

Obviously, don't do this with the engine running!
    Thanks Mac, I'll give that a try.

Generally, what happens when a clutch fails? I've owned several manual vehicles, but I guess I've been lucky enough to not see a clutch fail.

Will I simply not be able to shift anymore?

-Dan
    The most usual mode of failure is when the material on the clutch friction plate wears away. This often coincides with a weakening of the spring pressure of the clutch pressure plate.

When this happens the clutch will slip, which will be made apparent by a surge in rpm when you accelerate, but with no corresponding increase in vehicle speed. When the clutch starts to slip it's the beginning of a rapidly increasing cycle. The more it slips, the hotter it gets, and the hotter it gets the more the friction material wears away, which is also why you should never drive with a foot on the clutch pedal, or slip the clutch excessively when moving off or changing gear.

It's also possible for the clutch to fail in such a way that it cannot be disengaged, in which case you won't be able to engage a gear to pull away. Failure of the clutch hydraulic mechanism will also give the same symptom.
    great explanation. Thank you.

I'm going to have a mechanic take a look at it. I have a 500 mile trip coming up soon and the last thing I need is to get stranded in the middle of PA.
  • keatskeats Member Posts: 412
    Yes, PIE makes an adaptor for the Jeep head unit (model # CHRY 02) This adaptor makes your head unit think that the Ipod or XM Roady 2 is a CD changer. I have one and it works great. I use it with both.
    Hey everyone when I was looking at buying my Jeep in the Atlanta area - I looked at CarMax and caught them trying to pull a fast one past me. They entered all my information into thier computer along with my trade-in to see what my payments would be - well I started to look at the whole deal and I noticed that my payoff was $500 more than what Audi told me that day - I went home and called Audi again and my payoff was still $500 less than what CarMax had "Confrimed" in thier system -

Bottom line - make sure you know what your payoff is so you don't get ripped off!!!!
  • smurf6smurf6 Member Posts: 27
    Hi. I had a clicking noise when I depressed the clutch in 2003 - see message 9417 - my Jeep is a 2003. Per the invoice/receipt it states they replaced the following: "1 52107652AD HYD CTRL-CLUTCH ACTUATOR" Beneath that it states "traced to clutch pedal binding - removed and replaced clutch master and slave assembly." Don't know if you have the same issue but that took care of the problem for me and I haven't experienced it again. It was covered under warranty.
    Susan
  • tyoshutyoshu Member Posts: 31
    My daughter is almost 2 and she absolutely loves riding in my jeep. I have an 06 Rubicon and everytime she sees it she wants to get in and go for a drive. It drives very well and is not a bumpy ride at all. Now, it is a jeep but they have made so many improvements that it is a nice ride.

:D
  • pmo728pmo728 Member Posts: 1
    I've wanted a Wrangler for the longest time, and have found a 2000 Sport 4x4 with 90k. Other than the high miles...it's really in great shape. Just looking for honest opinions/experiences... In general...how many miles have most driven their Wranglers before experiencing serious problems...i.e. transmission/engine probs? Feeback would be most appreciated!
    Assuming proper servicing, and reasonable behavior by the driver, you can expect at least 150k from the I6 and probably up to 250k before overhaul. Ancillary components like sensors, batteries, pumps, etc., can (as with any vehicle) fail at any time.

Both auto and manual transmissions can match the engine for longevity, though both are easily damaged by abuse or neglected service. However, at 90k an original clutch, which is a wear item like the brakes, can be considered to be close to the end of its service life.
    Thanks Susan! I'll check out the part number and see if I can trace the sound to it.

-Dan
  • mtngalmtngal Member Posts: 1,911
    I sold the '98 Sport with 130,000 miles on it. I had replaced the air conditioning compressor, and the exhaust manifold, brakes and rotors, and fixed the dash gauge problem that some '98s had. The engine was in great shape and it still had the original clutch - if there hadn't been some reasons why I needed something other than a Wrangler, I would still own it.

I still have an 04 Unlimited with over 80,000 miles on it, and it's not had any problems at all. I'm planning on keeping it as a second vehicle for several more years - until it has at least 150,000 miles.
  • goducks1goducks1 Member Posts: 432
    My '98 has 85K on it. I replaced: the coil, the exhaust manifold (this was a big problem on the 4.0L until 00 I think), radiator, rear pinion seal, and the dash gauge problem (last one was under warranty). Just put new brake pads on it and it's on its third serpentine. It's doing pretty good, I think.
    I wanted to post my first impersion of our new jeep after putting 300 miles on it.

What we bought - A Bright silver Unlimited with the 6-speed transmission, H Package, 6 CD Changer and side steps. We purchased this one b/c my wife wanted a stick and like this color better than black - it is very hard to find a stick unlimited in the Atlanta area that is not carmax.

Why we bought - We have both had fansination about Wranglers from before we were married and our first car together was a GC limited and we looked at a Wrangler than but didn't get it.... Well we started looking at Unlimiteds a year ago when the EP was on and really liked the extra room they had for our family (A 4 year old and we are adopting a little girl from China next year) and then we have a dog and we like to hike and camp. When this latest round of EP came out we looked again. The used jeep market here are holding thier value and so I could get a new jeep for 1500 more than a used one. Also, after reviewing the new body style we personally didn't like it and looked to plush for us. So we were able to trade our 04 Audi for the Jeep - and pay $100 less a month - I will also say another reason that we made the change was this forum - I researched the unlimiteds last year and was surprised that 95% of the post here were positive about the wrangler.

Pros: Its a Jeep! Open air riding, having to slow down in life b/c the ride is a lot better at 60 than 70. I find that am much more relaxed after driving to work in the Jeep nice and slow with the music cranking. I can't talk on the phone so I think I'm a better driver also. I like the factory stereo (I have the 7 speaker version) it does the job and I'm not worried about it being stolen. I find it very easy to manuaver around and get our child in and out his car seat especailly when the top is down - this is also compared to our Audi A4. I really like the simplicity of the Jeep. The wind in my hair.

Cons: Have to figure how to enter the Jeep a little better I'm 6'1 so if I use the step I tower over and if not I have the long step in - getting out is easy. My wife and child do not have this problem. The extra cost of haircuts - I usaully get one every 3 months - but may have to do it every 2 so I'm not so wind blown. The biggest con though is my wife and I have to figure out who gets to drive the only Jeep - my 4 yo may have been on target when we were looking at Jeeps - daddy you get the black one and mommy you get the red one... hmmmm not a bad thought.

Loving the Jeep with the top down and 90+ degree in Hotlanta!
    Glad you are having a great time with your Unlimited! They are SO fun, aren't they? I love your comment about the haircuts!

As far as getting in and out - you might want to think about taking off the side steps. I still have them on the Unlimited because we haven't been off-roading it much (up until a couple of months ago it was our daily driver). We did take the steps off of the Sport when we went to Camp Jeep a couple of years ago (side steps have a way of being knocked off on the trail, and can damage your rocker panels). I'm only 5'1" and I didn't have any more problem getting into it than I had with the step - it was just different. My other half is only 5'11" and he never used the step, though he complained that he would occasionally get dust/dirt on his pants legs from it. There are several other options for steps that are higher and include rocker protection - Paul here has one that I really like (he's posted pictures in the past).
  • erickplerickpl Member Posts: 2,735
    It is higher than the factory step, but still lower then the sill. I am lifted 4.5 inches now too, so either way, I'm hopping in. :)

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

I've done a few mods to mine. :)

Here's how mtngal remembers mine (and you can see the rocker protection a bit better).

-Paul
  • ocean_shipperocean_shipper Member Posts: 70
    I began to notice that for the last several weeks, it appears that when I moved from Park to Drive, it would take about 5-7 seconds to engage.

Hmm... I began to get nervous about what might be going on, but didn't take it in right away. Well... On Monday, I pulled it out of the garage and it took quite a bit longer to move into drive. I even moved it to reverse, and nothing. Only after about 10 seconds, it moved into gear.

Ok.. I drove for a few miles and began to notice a sharp clunking sound when it downshifted from 3rd to 2nd. UH OH! I went over to the Chrysler dealer near the house. After a run with the Trans guy, they determined that there has been a computer code update issued by DC. After he updated the computer, all is well! And geez, it only cost me $150. I guess that was better than a major auto trans overhaul.. or worse yet, a new tranny.

If you are having issues with auto trannys in 2003 models, this could be the problem. By the way, I only have 28k miles on my Green Sahara nicknamed "Treehouse" for our place in the NC mountains (just outside of Hendersonville, NC). I will post the code when I find the repair order. - Chuck
    That's interesting. Software updates are usually issued to fix an existing bug, rather than component wear. Sounds like your transmission was working fine with the original software until a few weeks ago. Unless the original software had become corrupt it seems reasonable to assume that symptoms were caused by mechanical changes.

Besides a request for $150, did he say anything else?
  • ocean_shipperocean_shipper Member Posts: 70
    Mac - He didn't indicate anything other than the software update through his system indicated that it would fix the problem. I doubted very seriously that it was mechanical failure with only 28k miles and the trans. fluid very pink.

Apparently, there was either an internal TSB or memo that was sent out to DC dealers. However, I intend to talk to him as soon as I can to make sure that this was the only issue. I can report that it seems to be working perfectly since the software update.
    I like that solution and have a feeling that over time that our unlimited will evolve into something like that - we are planning on giving this jeep to our 4 year old son when he gets older - probably let him start driving off road as soon as he can safely operate the Jeep! He can't wait!!!!
    Here's an amusing clip that illustrates how a longer wheelbase is preferable in some offroad situations.

Both vehicles are competent offroaders (I own or have owned examples of both) and neither is a Wrangler, nor is one 'better' than the other, just different.

AMG vs LR
    Interesting clip - the longer wheelbase certainly helped. However, would the first vehicle have as much difficulty if it had lockers? It looked like it had problems with a wheel spinning, or was I imagining/not understanding what was going on with that one? I do see how the longer wheelbase helped the second vehicle's front end to get over the obstacle that stopped the first one.
  • hillman3hillman3 Member Posts: 5
    Congratulations on your new Jeep! Mine is an '06 Red Unlimited with automatic, dual tops. I still catch myself with that Jeep grin from enjoying the uniqueness of the vehicle and the fun of driving around town. No offroading yet or planned, since I'm in that 'clean' phase of ownership. Just turned 3,000 miles today. The biggest change was replacing the radio/CD player with a Head Unit that allows me to receive XM Satelite signals. My AM reception is non-existant, but we'll work on that. I swap the Jeep for my Chevy truck every 2-3 weeks so I still have a horsepower fix while the Jeep takes a break. Finally, thanks to the folks in Toledo that built my Wrangler; great work and I hope things are o.k. at the new plant.

Enjoy the drive!

Ron
    Yes, the Land Rover would benefit from an LSD or locker in the front, and from a little less air in the tires as well.

However, if it had been able to make the initial part of the climb with the front wheels it would be at such a steep angle that it's unlikely it would have been able to continue, at least by means of its wheels.
  • brazucabrazuca Member Posts: 95
    Hi everyone. I've been thinking of buying a Jeep as a fun car for weekends and short trips in town. I have a '99 Buick Regal with 40K miles on it, it's in excellent shape but too boring, the gas mileage and comfort for long business trip is excellent and I want to keep it. Wife has her own car. OK, I don't want to spend too much money, therefore I'm looking into a '97 '98 Wrangler. Questions that I have: 1- How does the 4 cyl. performs in the snow and how many miles it will approx. last if taken good care of, I've seen some Jeeps going beyond 150K miles, however, I'm afraid those are with the 4.0 liter in line 6 cyl. Any comments ? 2- Soft top versus Hard Top, pros and cons ? 3- I found a '97 with 85K miles on it, clean title but the owner (1st owner) had an accident and the front of the Jeep was replaced, including radiator, is it too bad ? What could go wrong with it ? The car has oil change records every 3,000 miles and is in great shape, the price is tempting. I will not use the car to commute, just around town on weekends and some fun with my 2 Yr. old boy. By the way, my wife thinks I'm crazy for buying a Jeep. :P
    1: Fine in snow and offroad, it's on the highway that you'll notice a lack of power.

2: Ultimately the pros and cons balance out so it's down to personal preference.

3: If it's been professionally repaired there's no problem.........at least you know about it. If it doesn't have a salvage title and the rest of the information is correct then go for it, it's going to be a toy rather than your main ride after all.
  • rastafarirastafari Member Posts: 4
    So it seems I, well my 2001 Sport, has a bad Throttle Position Sensor. I never knew there was such a thing.

Anyone know what it takes to replace? I know the part costs $104 at Autozone. I don't know if it is something I can change out myself easily? Or how much the labor might run?

Thanks very much for any advice.
    This is rather funny.

I had the TPS go bad on my TJ this weekend. Here is what I experienced:

Sluggish acceleration up hill.
    Wanting to stall when foot off the gas.

Then driving down the road about 45 mph, the engine just said, "DONE." and quit.

It restarted, but I couldn't go over 40 (well I COULD have, but wasn't going to push it).

Autozone code reader told me Pedal Position Sensor. 52.00 later, I have the part and I'm actually standing on my jeep's engine compartment trying to find the best way to install this thing on my hot engine.

All I needed was a Torx bit, not sure of size and a socket wrench to do it. On my 2.5L, it is just behind my throttle body facing the firewall, so it is a tight fit to do it).

I then disconnected my battery and took a shower (you'll see why I needed it if you scroll down). Hooked it back up and it ran better than it has run in months. Acceleration is MUCH better than it has been in a while, and I honestly think my mileage is back up. I had less than 3/4 tank (maybe 5/8), and I went 160 miles before stopping to add gass, the light hadn't even come on yet and I had about 1/8 tank left.

Is your TJ a 4.0L? I didn't see a different part number for the 4.0 vs the 2.5L TPS and she was showing me the screen as she searched for the P/N. That 104 sounds about twice as high as it should be cuz I got mine for 52.00.

You can do this yourself. Just make sure you have the Torx.

My Jeep is normally green. :)

It dried to a nice shade of tan, and the entire engine compartment is the same shade of tan. Okay, the TPS is actually clean, but that is about the ONLY thing under the hood that is! I added about 4 layers of mud to it before the day was over. So thick and my headlights could barely be seen when the lights were on. :)

Did some crawling too (before the mud).

I'd double check that TPS price. If you can get the part, I can show you where it is on my 2.5 or perhaps Mac can get a pic of where it is on a 4.0. It IS on top of the engine, right by the throttle body and butterfly valve at the end of your air intake tube.

-Paul
    -Paul
    Thanks Eric - I will check around on the price. My jeep is a 4.0.

Those are the same symptoms I experienced. Except for the "done" and quit part. Good to know that could happen. Sounds like I better fix it sooner rather than later.
    I wouldn't wait too long. :)

I'm not saying it will happen to you, because I had been playing offroad for the whole day prior to that.

But from Check Engine to engine die the first time was probably 20 seconds. There was a real noticeable drop in power, a series of acceleration/deceleration of the engine, like it was chugging or something, then it went.

Good luck with it.

-Paul
    I'm not saying it will happen to you, because I had been playing offroad for the whole day prior to that.

The TPS is sensitive to water intrusion. Early models (pre '99) had a lot of problems with them until the design was modified.
    That makes sense. My check engine light came on and the problem started almost immediately after my jeep had been caught in a downpour with no clothes on.

Could water have gotten to the TPS through the dash?

Mac any insight into the possible dead on the side of the road scenario. I have been driving with it for a few days now. I originally thought the check engine light was a loose gas cap which I also had at the time.
    I originally thought the check engine light was a loose gas cap.........

A 'check engine' light will also throw a trouble code which is stored for later retrieval. You can get it read at Autozone for free.
    Thank you Mac24, I'll take your experienced comments into consideration. I'll be taking a test drive soon.
  • jeff62301jeff62301 Member Posts: 310
    I've got the same rock rails and a similar amount of lift. you're right, its a jump to get in. its getting out that I find I wind up getting dirty, sliding across the rock rail.

jeff
    Hello all -

Here is my question regarding the soft top - we usally put our top up at night and take it down each morning here in Atlanta (heat doesn't bother me that much). When putting the top back up I notice that I have to us a little force when attaching the roof to the pins on the unlimted. I usaully put the roof up, then attach the pins, then rails, header and last the back area.

Question on the sunrider when I fold it back and then attach the strap to secure it - the matarial folds in like a V where the strap is attached - am I doing this right or missing something.

Thank you all!
  • sancapsancap Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2004 Rubicon and recently the Check Engine light come on and is staying on. This coincides with two other events. The engine periodically skips..like a fuel block, and the speed (cruise) control quick working. However, at ilde if I hold down the on button on the cruise control the engine rpms begin to go up to about 2000 and then gradually come back down and fluctuate......Any suggestions?.....beside the dealer.....
    Thanks,
    :confuse:
  • brettzbrettz Member Posts: 11
    No, that sounds right. I to have an Unlimited and it does the same thing. I got a video with mine on how to do it. It sounded stupid at first, but it did help a whole lot when figuring out how to deal with the sunrider features.
  • yjbobyjbob Member Posts: 56
    Just turned 100,000 miles in my '95 YJ. It is not a new vehicle by any means, but turning the clock gave me a little thrill. BTW, the old YJ has been running well lately.
    I just changed one of the tail lights (burned out after 11 years) at a cost of $1.06. Can't remember the last time I fixed something for a dollar.
    Keep Jeepin'
  • bosox5530bosox5530 Member Posts: 3
    I went to the dealership today and I went in wanting a 06 wrangler sport or unlimited with stick. But i was told they there are no sticks availables and they stopped shipping o6 wranglers, so I dont have much choice unless i want to wait for the 07's which i really dont want. I looked around and found a sport that has my 2nd choice in color, and an auto(which i want a stick) he offered me 5k off msrp + incentives. test drove it, and loved it. how do autos in wranglers hold up? let me know what ya guys think, thanks in advance. mike
    Autos in the TJ's are just fine. I personally prefer the manual in a Jeep - it just seems to belong there.

Offroad, the autos make some aspects easier, such as rock crawling, but the manual is superior with engine compression and downhill crawling abilities.

Have you considered a used Wrangler that hasn't been offroaded? I don't think much changed between 05 and 06. And you might be able to find what you want online, from places like autotrader.

-Paul
    Erikpl likes stick, I prefer auto, neither of us is right or wrong, it's purely personal preference. However, you want a stick so why settle for anything else?

There's plenty of dealers out there and if they choose to, they can access vehicles from hundreds of other dealers. Why not shop around a little more?
    Hi guys. The '97 Wrangler I'm looking to buy has half doors with the plastic window. It's great for the summer but I'm a little concerned with snow, how do you live with it ? Is it OK ? Can you clean the ice and snow and still see OK when driving in the winter ? Will the heater melt the ice/snow enough that it's not a big problem ? OK another question. Can I buy a hardtop and install in a Jeep with half doors ? :confuse: And yes, I'm not a Jeeper but looking forward to become one.
  • middleageguymiddleageguy Member Posts: 42
    My son recently purchased a 1989 Wrangler YJ from his friend who is going to college in Arizona. The YJ has 108,000 and his friend had it three years with no problems, except failed IL emission test on first try.

Are there any routine items that we should make sure are done on a Jeep, or have been done, before he takes to college. College is 50 miles from home.

Thanks.
    The only real mechanical difference between the Wrangler and any regular rear wheel drive vehicle is the transfer case and driven front axle. All they need maintenance wise are clean fluids.

Just make sure the servicing/maintenance is up to date and keep it that way.
  • fairviewfairview Member Posts: 20
    The half doors and soft top do fine in the winter. You have to be sort of careful about cleaning the ice and snow off, but the heater is very good and will melt everything off. As far as the half doors with the hard top is concerned, it is not supposed to work, but it does. I ran a hard top and half doors for several months until I found hard doors, and everything fit OK except for the upper rear corner of the doors. When I closed the doors, I had to encourage the corner to close, but it always did.