Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

MINI Cooper

Comments

• rayt2rayt2 Member Posts: 1,208
    Will be entering Mini in first autocross race 10/19 at a local National Guard base (Stewart International) Never done this before but don't need roll cage for this stuff just a helmet. Can't wait to put this car thru the paces.
    Anybody out there have any experience with Autocross Racing, tips, etc ??????????

Let's Motor !

Ray T.
  • nippononlynippononly Member Posts: 12,555
    you should mention window troubles...I saw that weird "self-sealing" action the windows do every time you close the door, and wondered if that might not create an expensive problem later in the car's life.

In the base Cooper with the 195-section run-flats, the ride is not harsh...the road feel is excellent. Having said that, these are also the loudest tires I have ever heard in any car, once you get on the highway.

2014 Mini Cooper (stick shift of course), 2016 Camry hybrid, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (keeping the stick alive)

• ecofriendlyecofriendly Member Posts: 4
    Is anyone else disappointed in the gas mileage of the MINIs? Their website says "let's sip, not guzzle", but for such a small car I thought gas mileage would be better. (EPA's website says 28-37 for 5-speed, 25-32 for automatic) Honda Civic's gas mileage for an automatic is 29-40 mpg & the car is quite a bit bigger. Any chance they'll ever come out with a hybrid MINI? I would love a MINI, but gas mileage is my first priority.
  • hpulley4hpulley4 Member Posts: 591
    Wheels are mostly a personal choice, especially on the Cooper where you can get non-runflat 15" or runflat 16" or 17". If you like the runflats, which I do, get the 16" or 17". If you don't, get the 15" unless you want to swap the tires out when the runflats are used up. I like the 16" tires because they are wider too -- this gives lower gas mileage but better grip (heavier, though, so slightly slower off the line), especially while cornering so again the choice is gas mileage and a bit faster off the line with narrow all-season tires vs. better cornering grip with performance summer tires. If you are getting 15" wheels then you have the lighter 12 lb 7-hole design or the heavier 15lb 8-spoke design to choose from. With 16" I don't think you get choice with the Cooper normally though you might be able to swap in some 16" v-spokes from an S. I have a set of each 16" wheel, 20 lb 5-stars with summer Goodyear Eagles and 17.5 lb v-spokes with Dunlop Wintersports (both runflats). The v-spokes are 2.5 lbs lighter each so they make up some for the heavier winter tires.
  • drgreydrgrey Member Posts: 10
    I'm looking into a MINI with CVT transmission as a third car to be shared with my wife. I'd probably prefer an S with the 6 speed, but I doubt she'd be comfortable with it. Does anyone have any positive experience with the CVT? Any problems? Many thanks,
  • revkarevka Member Posts: 1,750
    Hi rayt2- There hasn't been much discussion about autocrossing on this board. I just asked Pf-flyer to re-open this autocrossing discussion, on the News & Views board. So perhaps you can help get things moving again in there. Use your copy/paste so you don't have to re-write your whole message.

And please return here to keep us posted on your Mini Cooper ownership experience. Thanks!

Revka
    Host of Hatchbacks & Wagons Boards
  • stryderstryder Member Posts: 140
    I Think Hpulley said most anything interesting about tires, so I won't chime in. (Though my car was Indi blue too, so I'll support that!)

Haven't driven a CVT, some people swear by them, there were a few early hestiation issues, but I think they're sorted out. Its always worth a test drive to see if she likes the S, sometimes the fun of the car can be worth shifting if you don't drive it often, even if you'd prefer an automatic, certainly the case in the MINI I think.

As I'm from the hudson valley myself, my brother autocrossed at Stewart once or twice, I don't recall him saying much except that you look like a fool the first time, so take all the experienced people's advice, and just concentrate on improving your driving, not getting through the fastest. Also expect to beat up your tires a bit, but hey its fun!

People would always ask me when I first got the car what milage I got, and I'd usually say low 20's in city, low 30's on the highway. As I never drove 55 on a flat road, I never got close to 37, and city driving was very much stop and go in Cleveland. Considering what the average car gets in milage, I never really cared that I didn't get higher. The engines are tuned for performance, use premium gas and work well. 115 hp out of a 1.6 litre is also respectable. Its a bit surprising they don't get better milage, but the fun is worth it, and I think no one buys them as an economy car. They're a luxury small car, not an economy car, and the milage goes with luxury, not economy, I guess that doesn't work well for your goals.

A hybrid MINI is a possibility, but unlikely. BMW is pushing hydrogen power, and has several of their cars in hydrogen form running around the auto circuit. Also they released a diesel MINI in Europe, but due to Diesel's unpopularity and a lack of low sulfur Diesel in the US, it probably won't ever make it here. Both of those are much more likely for the MINI. Most people who have bought them are trading up from much bigger cars, so the gas milage is an improvement, for those where it isn't, the fun factor makes up for it I guess. Short of a few other compact cars, the MINI does very well. Edmunds.com posted the most fuel efficient somewhere, MINIs in the top 10, and several of the top 10 are diesel VW's and hybrids, which isn't a fair comparison.
  • ozone1ozone1 Member Posts: 87
    I have the CVT and I think it rocks! I haven't had any problems with it whatsoever. I do a lot of driving in San Francisco and in commuter traffic, so having the CVT transmission just made sense. You also have the option of driving in manual mode and control the simulated gear shifts (no gears in the CVT) yourself. Did you have any other specific questions or concerns?
  • rsunicorsunico Member Posts: 82
    Today the status on my 04 Cooper S has changed (finally) to "waiting for transport". How long before it arrives (from peoples experience) on the east coast (I'm in NJ)?. I'm trying to figure out when to place my Subaru for sale.

ALSO.. what financing rates have people gotten? My dealer gave me a LOUSY trade-in for my 01 Forester AND is trying to gouge me with a 6.5 finance rate. I've found 4.44 so far.. is this pretty good for a new car? Thanks!
    4 weeks would be if everything went smoothly to get from awaiting transport to getting to NJ. (The ship docks in NJ)

MINIUSA at 866-askmini usually has much more updated info then the owner's lounge, or if you're feeling especially stalkerish, you can use this: http://213.31.205.37/GLWebApps.AppTracking website, which is Wallenius Wilhelmsen tracking site (Your car is shipped by them). If you click Auto, you can input your car's VIN (get it from the owner's lounge) and that will give you an idea of what its up to, much more accurately then the owner's lounge itself. Delays are possible before you get booked on a ship, and at the vehicle prep center once you're dropped off in the US, so 4 weeks is a vague guess.

If you have way too much time, you can use the ship's call sign to track it across the atlanic with other websites.

Sorry, no help on financing.
    Stryder; Have you been to Bear Mtn. State Park for the Wednesday night car shows at all this year ?? Have seen a few Mini's there, wondered if one of them was you.

RS, what dealership in Jersey did you order thru?

Ray T.
  • riopelleriopelle Member Posts: 132
    I am considering ordering an S this winter so that I have it for the Spring. It's an emotional thing - an "you only live once" decision since my Mazda will only be 3 yrs old and is great. A few questions:

1. Does anyone know about BMW replacing the Chrysler engine with a Peugeot engine for 05 (reported by Automobile)? Makes sense, just looking for confirmation or timeline.

2. Reliability issues - thoughts? My Mazda has been flawless. After 10 years spent driving awful VW's, I don't want to step backward.

3. The runflats - It's great reading opinions on this new technology, which I am concerned about. What is the lifespan estimate?

4. Does anyone have a roof decal, and are they removable after installation? (ie if you get sick of it)

Thanks. Enjoy your awesome cars.
  • ontheroadagainontheroadagain Member Posts: 44
    I had to laugh when I read that, as I just used those words, to effect, last night when explaining "why" I wanted a MINI, even if it's not the most practical car for me.

I'd heard that the run flat tires created a very rough ride, is this incorrect?
    In order;
    1)It's on the drawing board for the Peugeot engine, time will tell.
    2)Cars to new but I got 11k on my 03 and there were no problems.
    3)The car is a short wheelbase the ride reflects that no matter what tires, I don't have runflats just the 15" standard tires.
    4)Roof decals are removable but it's a use once and throw away.

Buy the car, you'll love it!

Let's Motor

Ray T.
    Thanks for your answers Ray. Glad you like the car!

I know runflats ride rougher than standard tires due to the hard sidewall needed to maintain the integrity of the tire in event of pressure loss. The just don't have much give. I don't think the difference at the 17" size should be considerable. I want the sports package but those 17's may be a bit more than necessary. Anyone have thoughts on the 16s vs 17s?
    I went to school in Rochester, got my car in Buffalo (last Spring), I've since moved to Clevelandn (last summer, a month after I got the car), so I haven't gone to any MINI stuff in NY, just visiting friends/family, but most of that was last year anyway.

The 17" tires are heavier, then 16"s are a bit lighter overall, otherwise its mostly looks between the two if you're choosing.

I think 2005 is a bit too early for the Peugot engine conversion, I'd expect maybe a year or so later, it'll probably coincide with the first redesign, which would be odd after about 3 years of production.

Roof decals vary depending on if you get the dealer version, or an aftermarket one, many people don't know what they want permanantly, so get vinyl ones which are easily removable.

MINIs aren't flawless, but they're a new car. Reliability has been improving greatly, but flawless is probably a bit too much to expect, but you should be better off then a VW, many VW style things MINI has admitted were broken and fixed under warranty and redesigned so all new cars don't have the problem, I never got the impression VW was keen on even admitting their cars had common issues.

Runflat lifespan is more dependant on the tires, not the technology. Depending if you get performance or all season, don't expect more then 20-30K out of your tires, and probably even less if you drive more agressively. As runflats get more popular maybe other compounds will be used, so you could get longer life.
    BMW has to be madly anxious to get the DaimlerChrysler engine out of its product. I admit I am keen on the Pug engine but it's not worth waiting 2 more yrs.

That Checkerboard roof - I don't think I can resist. Anyone have any trouble or bad wear with a roof decal?

thanks again all.
    rayt: I got my Mini through prestige in Mahwah, NJ. I can't say I recommend them until the transaction is completed. Will keep you posted.

stryder: THANKS for the link to the shipping company! Thanks to you I found out my car should have arrived in NY yesterday and unloaded today! YAY!

riopelle/et al: why are you keen on the Peugeot engine? Curious. BTW I have owned 5 Peugs and for the most part the engines were great.
    The performance runflats, if driven hard (driving the MINI as it is meant to be driven) with lots of chriping starts and drifting corners, will not last you a long time. Heck, mine spent half their time off the car (winters on for winter) and at 20K miles on the car (so probably 10-12K or so on the summer tires) my Goodyear Eagle runflats are really getting down there, down to 3-4mm of tread (2 or 2 and a half 16ths of an inch). They're still legal but with the remnants of Isabel raining yesterday the tires hydroplaned some in puddles so this may be the last season for them by the time I put the snows on this year. 3mm (2/16ths) isn't a lot of tread for areas which get decent amounts of rain, especially if you take the back roads like I do which tend to be poorly maintained with ruts and depressions to fill with water.

BMW definitely wants to get out from using a competitor's engine. Chrysler isn't a competitor but that deal was made before Daimler bought them. The Pug engine is coming but not for 2005 model year. They might, just might, be in the 2006 MY which means end of 2005 might see it introduced but I think end of 2006 (2007 MY) is more likely with the next model (5 year life cycle). No one knows yet of the displacement but a 2.0L turbo would be nice ;-) Buy a current car now, enjoy it until the Pug engines are out and trade up. Why wait? As you said, you only live once and it would be a shame to get hit by a bus while dreaming about your MINI...

Roof decals are removable and they say they're UV transparent but I'm not 100% sure they won't leave 'tan lines' if you remove them in 4 years time. I went without a logo.
  • irnmdnirnmdn Member Posts: 245
    BMW definitely wants to get out from using a competitor's engine. Chrysler isn't a competitor but that deal was made before Daimler bought them.
    Right now, DaimlerChrysler is BMW #1 competitor.
    It's like F150 using vortec engine.
    My Mini status has just changed from "en route"(she arrive at the docks 4 days ago) to "at distribution center". To anyone who has waited in the past.. does this mean I have another week or so wait? My dealer is only 40 miles from the port. Thanks.
    Basically yes, you have another week give or take a few days. It depends if anything's holding up the car, but it takes several days to clean everything up, test, etc etc and then they'll release it, and ship it to your dealer.

Distribution center is definetly one of those vague times in your car's journey though, it could be only a day or two more now, or two weeks depending on any number of factors, (like how busy they are)
  • dinger2bdinger2b Member Posts: 7
    Our experience for a new MINI was that their web site status was at least several days behind the actual status of the car. For example when it was at the distribution center it was actually at the dealer and so forth. At this point the dealer knows more or e-mail the MINI site and they can give you more up to date information. It is a cool site but the status being behind can be frustrating.
  • davenport47davenport47 Member Posts: 1
    I'm pretty sure I want a Mini, but I can't find any dealers in Maine and Peabody Mass is a bit far to drive for servicing. Are there any Mini owners in Maine? Where did you get your Mini? Where do you go for service? What about breakdowns in rural areas? Thanks for any info or advice you can offer.
    I think there are MINI owners in Maine, but I can't think of any off the top of my head, there's nothing wrong with being more unique because you're farther away from a dealer. If you breakdown in the warranty period, MINI pays to have your car towed to the nearest dealer regardless of where you are in the US. (Canada too I think, but check on that...)

Otherwise you're just going for service at 10K miles then every 15K after that, its not bad at all, (unless you live in Northern Maine).

If you're interested in buying from Peabody, call them and ask if anyone from Maine has bought from them, its to their benefit to tell you about others in your situation.
    After a 5 month wait my MCS finally arrived yesterday! It was well worth the wait!

http://members.tripod.com/peug405/mini/mini.htm
  • revkarevka Member Posts: 1,750
    on finally taking delivery! Nice photos. We look forward to hearing about your first impressions.... Happy motoring!

Revka
    Host of Hatchbacks & Wagons
    I don't mean to rain on your happiness with your MINIs... I've intentionally not taken a test drive because I'm afraid I'll fall for it...

But what do you all think about the rear seat and the possibility of getting rear ended?

Someone posted recently somewhere about the lack of crash test results due to the "trunk" being nonexistent...and a plastic gasoline tank back there...

Am I foolish to worry?

I'd hate to have a friend or relative crushed or worse back there in an accident.

I'm serious..and don't mean to offend anyone with this question.
    As much as I've been LOVING my new Cooper S... Has anyone had the John Works package installed? If so is it worth it and what are you paying? My dealer is charging $5,600 plus tax...
    The back seat wasn't tested because the test dummies wouldn't fit in there. The MINI was far from alone in this. Most fastback cars like the Toyota Celica and some Honda/Acuras also have this problem that the back seat is too small to fit a dummy. They only test for side-collisions anyways, not (yet) for rear end collisions. That test is coming.

Look at almost any rear end collision between vehicles and you'll see the car that got rear ended has little damage while the one doing the rear ended looks totaled. The front crumple zones of cars absorb most of the energy and the hitting car usually submarines under the other one since the back end of a FWD car is much lighter than the front. Unless you are rear ended by a tractor-trailer rig, the car doing the rear ending usually comes out much worse.

The MINI's gas tank is not in an unsafe location, it is ahead of the rear Z-axle which is a very strong component. It is not a Ford Pinto or Crown Victoria with the tank behind the axle.

I feel safe with myself, my wife or my son back there. Most rear end collisions are relatively low speed compared to head on since most are under braking (too little too late but braking nonetheless) so for most people, whiplash is the leading problem and the MINI has some of the best passive head restraints available, adjustable and locking for both front and rear passengers.

The MINI is a strong car. Look at some wrecked exotics sites and you'll see some which rolled many times and the passenger compartment is well maintained.
    $5600 is about normal for a JCW conversion, (Its like $4500 in parts plus 8 (10? I can't remember) hour in labor.

I think everyone who has gotten the JCW loves it (but testdrive one first) but its biggest selling point seems to be keeping the warranty intact. You can get the same pulley reduction and ECU reprogramming and exhaust for 1/3 of the price which gets the same hp from other companies, if you're not paying for the warranty..

My view on it is if you think the S is slow, then look into your options. If you care about the warranty issues and have the extra money, it may be for you, otherwise you might want to look at cheaper versions...
    Congratulations on your new baby.....err Mini !
    Enjoy and as Mini says.......Let's Motor !
    Bear Mtn. State Park still has the Wednesday night car shows till the 15th of October from 5 to 9 pm, join the other Mini's and come on up to show it off !

Ray T.
  • eandlcubedeandlcubed Member Posts: 78
    i have seen alot of threads on the pros and cons between the 16inch and 17inch wheels. i am deciding between the original 15 and the upgrade 16. can anyone give me any insight? i tested the 15 on a cooper at the dealer and it wasn't bad. but of course i couldn't do anything much with a salesman sitting next to me :) he didn't have a 16 for me to try. i am not doing any autocrossing and am afraid of a rougher ride with bigger wheels. however thanks in advance.
    I don't find the ride to be much different. Honestly, I was expecting more of a difference but there isn't much. The suspension is still stiff. The 15's are lighter, and you notice that right off the line. But for cornering they are a bit narrow and tall so you notice that they don't grip quite as well under hard use. Most who autoX use 15" wheels but put low profile rubber on them.

Only you know how you'll drive on them and how you like the look. Hopefully there are some 16's for you to try somewhere before you buy/order.
    I have the 15" rims on my Cooper and I've been very happy with them. I think it really comes down to looks more than anything. The ride difference is there, but nothing drastic. Cornering may be slightly better with the 16", but again, probably not by much. Is the spare the same size for Coopers with 16" and 15" rims? Anyone know?
    There is only one undersized spare available. Same with either tires on the Cooper.
  • eandlcubedeandlcubed Member Posts: 78
    the difference between 15 and 16 wheel. i can put that money on the xenon lights instead :)
    I hope I won't get stoned for posting this one...but is there anyone out there who owns or has driven an automatic version?

A bad shoulder knocked me out of the manual shift world a few years ago.

Anyone?
    andys120, umm, what is this? Is this what the MINI has for it's version of an automatic?

Just to date myself, I once had an automatic stick shift VW bug that I inherited from my mother!
  • andys120andys120 Member Posts: 23,389
    That post was deleted, I thought I was in the A4 forum. The MINI has a CVT automatic, not a Tiptronic. A THer named "Drivin" is fun has one, see if you can dig him up.

2001 BMW 330ci/E46, 2008 BMW 335i conv/E93

It has a 'steptronic' mode where you use steering-wheel paddles to 'shift' between some imaginary gears. Most find the sport automatic mode to be faster but the steptronic mode is supposed to be fun and is still useful when cornering so you don't get a 'shift' occuring when undesirable.

I've never driven one.
    I have the automatic version of the MINI Cooper, also known as the CVT. The CVT Cooper although it is an automatic, there are no gears. I couldn't be happier with it. It's great for my commute and driving the hills of San Francisco and Marin. You have 3 driving modes...D mode is for regular driving...SD is a sport mode which holds the revs higher in each simulated gear to give you more high end ooomph before the next shift....finally, +/- Mode (or Manual mode) allows the driver to control the shifting. Tap the center stick down to upshift and tap up to downshift. You can shift between all 3 modes on the fly. To get into SD mode, you tap the center stick once to the right. You can only enter Manual mode from SD mode. To enter Manual mode you tap the stick again either up or down. To get back into regular D mode you tap the stick back to the left. There is a digital display on the odometer which tells you what mode you are in or what simulated gear you are in when in Manual mode. The only peculiar combination is when you want to change from Manual to SD mode. In this case, you would tap the stick once to the left to exit Manual mode and enter D mode and then tap it back to the right again to get into SD. Unless the paddles were added to the 2004 models, there are no steering wheel paddles as in some other cars. I hope this answers some of your questions.
    Unless I'm misinformed, paddles only came with the MultiFunction Steering wheel before but I think now you get them even without that wheel.
    What is the multifunction steering wheel? I have a 2003 Cooper with the leather steering wheel which also has stereo and cruise control on it. Is there another? I was never given the option of paddles, although I have heard rumors of them being added at some point.
    Just took the MINI automatic/CVT for a test drive - it was a 2003 loaded to the max...with run flats. I have to admit I liked the car but wish I could have driven it for more time. Before I make a decision, I'd have to go back.

When I asked the salesman about the differences between the 2003 and 2004 he said only their costs. Is this really true?

My first impressions were that it was much more roomy in the front than I expected and that front dash board is a bit overwhelming at first glance. I did use the Sport drive, though not the Manual mode.

It's a very cute car, there's no doubt about it. The only three negatives that I noticed were: the very small rearview mirror, the lack of much of a trunk and that I didn't see any sort of compartment for "stuff" other than the glove compartment. Did I miss something?

It's very tempting. The salesman was quite nice - a young guy just out of college. No hard sell at all... I'm thinking hard about this one.

I've been reading through all the posts from the beginning and am now up to page 58 - I appreciate the suggestion to look up "drivinisfun's" posts, too - very helpful about the CVT, etc. - and ozone1 many thanks for your explanation as well!

Now as to "paddles" not a word was mentioned about them to me today.
    I may be misinformed about them. I thought they were always available but I could be wrong or perhaps in UK and Europe but not North America. Sorry for the misinformation.

The MINI has storage in the doors, on the back of the seats (mine at least has nets on the back for storage) and there are rear cubby holes on the car sides as well. Plus, there are the cup holders and you can get an armrest and an organizer to fit in the space under the HVAC, behind the cupholders to increase the storage dramatically. The trunk is small with the rear seats up but very large with them down.

If the rearview mirror seems small then you may be sitting too far away. It seems fine to me now but first I was sitting very far away and it was kind of small.
    Sorry I'm not to swift on the acronyms, hpulley4...do you mean between the two front seats but behind the parking break? Is this something you have to buy from some sort of after market catalogue?

It's a very enticing car but I was disappointed by what appears to me to be very poor planning for things like useable cup holders - we commuter/driver/parent types that spend our lives in the car need to have our cup of coffee, tea or bottle of water handy.

How do you all deal with this? I know it may sound silly, but it's got me stumped.

And can anyone tell me the differences in the 2004..or perhaps I should just look at their webiste?! Thanks all!
    I would agree with you about the storage space, but i guess it depends on what you have to store. I've had to get a bit creative or at the very least find certain places where I put certain things. For example....cell phone and sunglasses go in the passenger side cup holder...coffee (as long as it isn't a jumbo sized cup) goes in the left cup holder....passenger coffee goes in the center cup holder (the one between the two front seats) or my Gatorade/Water bottle goes there....wallet and extra CDs go in the driver's side cubby on the door. There is an aftermarket product which can slide into the open space right behind the two front cupholders. Once you see it, you'll know what I mean. You'll be surprised how much you can fit in the little car, especially with only two passengers.

I've had issues with the rearview mirror also, but you do get used to it. Go back for another drive, sounds like you may need to.
    Thanks Ozone, I will have to go back. I guess it's kind of like looking at a new house or apartment in that you can get swept away by the view or whatever and not notice some of the specifics. I only remember what looked like two really small cupholder holes in the front and then they had this larger holder that appeared to pivot? Didn't notice on between the seats at all!

The car seems great and maybe a second experience will push aside all my puritanical upbringing's guilt at the very idea of considering buying such a sporty little car!?

The only other car that's gotten my interest lately is the 2004 RAV4...and I haven't driven it yet. It's bigger, but not too big and has the advantage of being more practical for a family (all 3 of us plus dogs)car...but now that my husband is getting his new used Suburban from the local police department's auction...maybe he'll keep it clean enough for us to use for our long drives to the Outer Banks of NC? ;-)

Thanks for your help. This forum is a great sounding board and it's filled with some very helpful information.

One more question: if one gets separate rims with snow tires for the winter is it better not to buy them through the dealer? Or doesn't it really matter? I asked the salesman about snow tires and he acted like they didn't need them, but from what I've read here it sounds like it's a good idea to have them.

Appreciate your help!
  • alanminialanmini Member Posts: 6
    Just got my 2003 Red Mini with 5 spoke wheels and sunroof, and after three weeks and a few hundred miles I'm tickled to death. Handling is remarkable, the car goes like spit for a 1.6 litre engine, and the gadgets are fun.

Only one problem. Though the stiff clutch and brakes loosened up, the manual transmission feels kind of pokey. It gives the impression of resisting shifts. It's hard to make smooth shifts unless you pause in the middle of the shift throw.
    My old Honda had no such problems.

In your expert opinions, will this smooth out over time? My local mechanic says no - that I should bring it in for immediate service. Of should I continue driving it hoping the gearbox will smooth itself out.

To 2003 Mini owners who have been driving a long time, I ask whether time (driving) should cure this problem or should I bring it in?

Thanks for your kind opinion.

ALANMINI
This discussion has been closed.