Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

MINI Cooper

Comments

• rayt2rayt2 Member Posts: 1,208
    The sound you here is a little bit of the cars brain computer and the power steering pump shutting down, it is electrically assisted and also has a cooling fan connected with it. The fan used to be a problem on earlier models with catching debris and jamming, then you had a few $$ to spend on the fix if not covered by warranty. Mini has since installed a shield to protect the fan from road debris on later models.

Ray T., 2003 Cooper - 52k miles to date :P
  • gopguycagopguyca Member Posts: 30
    One thing I really hate about the Mini is the one cup holder. Those two it comes standard with aren't really cup holders but more like change holders.

Is it possible to get that "oversized" cup holder installed on both sides of the dash? So that me and my passenger can have an actual cup holder. Also, is the cup holder something I can attach and unattach easily or is it incredibly difficult? Or is it something the dealer has to do?
    The cup holder is pretty much permanetly mounted but can be removed with screwdriver. Putting one on driver side would be a bad idea and would hit your knee all the time. I have found between the add on and the rear holder I can balance my needs. The center two work well for a can of pepsi but not coffee since you wrestle to get drinks out and spillage is often with this poor design. If you have a full carload your outta luck for cupholders.
    Regarding all this driving you'll be doing with the new Mini are you sure your not going to exceed the mileage limits of the lease ? I have just clicked over the 52k mark and the car hasn't reached its second birthday yet (4/21) My warranty is over already in 22 months from mileage factor. Between my 100 mile a day commute and my "just wanna drive this car fun factor" it killed my warranty in no time. Keep that in mind if leasing.

Ray T. :P
  • bodble2bodble2 Member Posts: 4,514
    I think I'd be afraid to use the cupholders. Due to the lurchiness of the drivetrain (at slow speeds), I would likely end up spilling whatever beverage all over the car! :mad:
    I'm not concerned about mileage.

If the Mini's DO get an uglier, less friendly looking interior in the 07 models... I'm not going to want to trade in. Same thing if they make them bigger. As said, I plan on keeping it! lol

But we are getting 10k mileage on a lease to have the lowest possible payments. Me going over that 10k doesn't mean anything if we do keep it, right? =/ But we may also keep 12k because there wasn't much of a difference in payments between the two.

I figured that maybe the cup holder may hit my knee but maybe not... I'm not that tall of a driver and it doesn't hit my knee when I sit in the passanger side, just sucks because it gets in the way of the controls. But is it possible to put a cup holder on the driver side? Should be fine for me just will have to take it off my brother drives it.

Has anyone tried eating a meal in the cooper?
  • greyscalegreyscale Member Posts: 22
    Gop, you are not going to need a cupholder on the driver's side. This car is small inside, and you will be plenty close to the one on the passenger side. My 2005 Mini came with the "larger" cupholder as a standard feature on the passenger side; the salesperson told me it is the first year they started adding it (after owner complaints about small cupholder sizes). I use my large cupholder to hold my sunglasses, reading glasses, change, and sunblock. I keep a water bottle in the small cupholder that is between the two front seats and towards the back seat. The other two smaller cupholders up in front I used to hold change, receipts, trash, whatever. I'm not one of those people that requires a beverage I.V. everywhere I go.

That large cupholder thing swivels around, so you can empty it out if you have a passenger and get it out of their way. It's really not a problem. This whole thing with cupholders and food trays and practically entire kitchens outfitted in cars is a little ridiculous, in my opinion. Jesus, people act like they can't get from point A to point B without a frigging hit of something to put in their mouth. No wonder obesity is rampant in this society.

You asked if anyone has tried eating a meal in a Mini - you are joking, right? My God, can't you pull over in a park or just wait until you get where you're going? I guess I just never considered a car to be a rolling restaurant.
    The car is the second eating place after the living room and dine-in resteraunts. Being able to eat in the car is extremely important, especially on road trips as I rarely eat in a car -- When I bring food home I save it for the TV.

But a cup holder is of extreme importance. Whenever I leave to get into my car I grab a coke. And on the way home from any place I usually have a soda that won't fit into those standard holders.

My concern isn't about the oversized cup holder being too far as it isn't, but that the passanger won't have a cup holder. And while it's true the backseat one can be used as a cup holder, if there is a thrid passanger... Someone won't have the convenience of a cup holder. =(

As for those standard ones.. I was thinking of using them for change too. Whenever I go through a drive thru I could always use extra change for the cents and a place to put change at. In my Mom's car we use the opening arm rest. In the Mini I'll use the "cup holders."

On another topic though... The sound system!

I read several comments about the H/K system not being loud enough. Can anyone confirm this? Also, I've heard several complaints about the speaker on the passanger door making a rattling sound due to the volume or bass of the music, which I'm sure is truthful as everyone I know seems to have confirmed and there is even a step-by-step process laid out on a website on how to fix it -- Though much too difficult looking for me, involves taking the door thing off.
    You have to keep in mind that no one (or very few) buys a Mini for its practicality, smoothness, or comfort. Heck, it doesn't even offer really outstanding fuel economy. A Corolla would be the car that gives you all those. The Mini is just all about driving a "cool", cute-as-a-puppy, retro-look car.

Our other car is an '04 Acura TL that is way faster, quieter, roomier, more comfortable, much better sound system, more amenities, etc., etc. If I give my head a shake and think logically, I would conclude that I'm an idiot to drive the Mini. But driving the Mini puts a smile on my face, even when it lurches along, and the radio sounds no better than a portable boom-box, and Honda Civics blow by me.

The moral of the story is, don't worry about being able to drink and eat while driving a Mini, or whether the stereo sounds good enough. You can't and it doesn't. But the car is still a blast to own and drive (as long as you don't get run over by 3-ton SUV's, right, greyscale?) :P
    The Mini is practical in regards to its size.

No matter what flaws the Mini has compared to other cars, there is no compensating the Mini's small size. It's perfect for parking! The visibility in the Mini is also another strong point which makes it easy to drive and creates a cheery atmosphere when it invites the sun in or more tranquil with the moon.

I personally don't see any troubles eating in the Mini. But music wise.. It's really not THAT bad is it? What is the problem with the Mini's stereo? Is it lack of quality or lack of volume or what?
    You're right about the size -- it IS very easy to park, and visibility is also excellent. It is an excellent city commuter car.

As for eating, I find when you eat in a car, you need elbow room, plus extra room to put stuff -- your drink, the sugar for your coffee, the fries while you're munching on the Big Mac, etc. And the Mini simply doesn't have much "working room". You'd likely end up spilling something. I think if you need to regularly eat in your vehicle, get something like a CR-V.

I don't have the H/K stereo option. I just find the standard unit a little lacking in oomph and dynamic range. To me is not a big deal, since I'm too old to care about blasting my music in the car anymore. And also, my TL has one of the best systems around, so by comparison, most other systems would sound inferior.
    :lemon: :lemon: :lemon: :lemon: :lemon:

Greyscale I couldn't resist LOL so take it with the fun intended.

Really aren't we getting a little carried away here, how much room to eat in a Mini? If you have Mini meals it'll work, White Castle hamburgers are kinda cute to go along with the Mini theme. Stick with the 12 oz. cans and they will fit in front cupholders, install the add on to drivers side and sign up for a knee cap replacemnt in the future.
    Harmon Kardon not loud enough ? maybe if your into sound equipment competitions it's not but how loud does it have to be before you forget your driving and loose it in a corner or can't hear the ambulance behind you trying to get by to rescue the guy who lost it in the corner adjusting the volume LOL

I better stop now before I get a mini headache................
  • SylviaSylvia Member Posts: 1,636
    Let's get back to talking about the MINI - thanks!
  • minigrrrlminigrrrl Member Posts: 2
    :shades: I have a 2005 MCSC (convertible) that is 6 months old. I TOTALLY love the car and thus far have had zero problems with it. My driving is 99% highway (and though it's in the Bay area, it's not stop and go and 95% of that is with cruise control). I commute 100 miles RT 4 days a week, and alternate using the Mini with my other car, an Audi A4 (189K and still rides like a dream!). I have about 3500 miles on the Mini and use 91 gas (ugh - almost 3 bucks a gallon). My on-board reads avg. fuel consumption at 28.6. It was 28.3, but for the last tankfull, just to see what difference it made, I actually drove 60-65 on the road, down from my usual 70-75. Of course, I am over in the far-right lane with everyone blowing by me, usually in their SUVs (considering the price of gas, they must all have pretty deep pockets!) When I did this, the gauge only went from 28.3 to 28.6, much less than the difference I expected. When I calculated the fuel consumption per mile at the pump, it actually was darned close to 28.6, so I think the computer is pretty accurate. My questions are:

1) Is there a way to re-set the gauge and try it again? I have a hard time believing that the mileage would only improve that tiny bit with a 10 -15 mph speed reduction, esp. considering how one always hears that consumption starts to rise over 60.
    2) I read somewhere on here that the mileage improves after the car has 10K miles on it...Is that true, and if so, why?

While I can afford the gas without eating Franco American each night, it's become somewhat of an experiment for me, to see if the speed reduction really does make a difference, and also to see if I can max out the MPG... :)
  • minigrrrlminigrrrl Member Posts: 2
    I ordered my '05 convertible from SFMINI in Sept. 04 and took delivery in December... Before I ordered from them, i called around and found that the dealer in Pleasanton was selling at MSRP, but that it would be a 9 -10 month wait, which was just too long for me. The dealer in Concord sold for 1500 over MSRP and also "threw in" a rubber boot mat, sunshade, large cupholder, and wheel locks. SF wanted 2500 over MSRP, so I said to them, look, this is the deal Concord is offering me, I could buy the car from them, but I'd rather buy from you since I live in SF, can you match their deal? They matched it. Now, I must admit that when I went to get the car, "extras" they agreed to match were absent, save the cupholder. So, when the MA began his reminder spiel asking me to please give him a good rating when Mini calls me to ask about my experience, I smiled reassuringly and then casually reminded him about the missing extras. He ran right in and got the boot mat and sunshade (I didn't push for the wheel locks - I was happy with what I got!)
    I had no problems with the dealer at all, but then I haven't had to service it yet, so we'll see... :shades:
  • sitcursitcur Member Posts: 4
    Concerning the radio - I just ordered my MCs pepper white and did a careful listening test between the standard & H/K sterios with some of my best "reference" CDs and the FM radio.

In two tests comparing them in a total of 4 cars I consider the standard to sound better!!! ($550 savings). I don't know if it is the speakers (supposedly JBL), the head, or both, but the difference is consistent.

Roger
  • hugh1hugh1 Member Posts: 8
    Roger, I think that the head units in the HK and the standard system are identical.

Before final ordering my 05MCS blk/blk,prempkg,armrest,chrome grill, (dealer installed because I didn't want chrome mirrors) I listened to the Harmon Kardon. It sounded a tad better, but not $550 worth. So I ordered the standard. Now I'm in the process of upgrading, and don't know which way to go. Various options have been suggested:

Replace just the speakers with better ones, high efficiency Infinities or Alpines

Replace just the head unit with a higher output one. Higher wattage that will push the stock speakers making them sound better. Would also need to add interface so MFSW buttons still work.

Replace just the speakers with more expensive lower efficiency speakers and add an amplifier. That's basically what the Harmon Kardon system does.

The above choices will cost me anywhere between $350 and$1500 or more including labor. I'd love to buy my components over the internet and put them in myself, but that would be a disaster because I am mechanically challenged.
    Which raises another issue.

Cheap labor installs like Circuit City, Best Buy, etc. mean risking work done by some kid who might never have worked on a MINI before. The boutique stereo shops offer more confidence, but labor is very expensive. And don't look for markdowns on the equipment! What's really holding me up is what I hear in the showroom may not be what I hear in the car.

So I'm holding off until I get to a couple of rallies this spring and summer. I'll listen to systems and then try to decide. In the meantime, maybe I'll run into somebody competent who will do the installs at fair price. In the mean time, the standard system isn't all that bad.

Hugh
    About cleaning and maintaining my Mini.

First night I had it I paked it in front of our house... In the morning he had water spots all over himself. I took him straight to a car wash, ugh. I would like to wash him myself but's its extremely embarresing as where I live no one seems to appreciate anything of theirs and take everything for granted... So me taking care of my car would gain alot of stares and snoots. It embarreses me!

But I don't mind doing is just keeping him clean... Going out with a rag and going over the body and mirrors to keep him clean from little marks when driving or crap that falls from the sky when parked.

I been using a microfiber cloth and ammonia-free windex-like spray to go over the glass, mirrors and body... Is that safe? And if yes or no, what should I/can I be using instead?

And next time my Mini is dirty I do plan on washing him out in the street... Just going to pretend no one else is around!
  • jfljfl Member Posts: 1,396
    ...ammonia-free windex-like spray to go over the glass, mirrors and body...

For the body, use a Quick Detailer rather than "windex-like spray".
    Go to your local AutoZone, Pepboys etc., There are at least 2 dozen products to choose from for quick detailing of your vehicle. STOP :cry: using any kind of window cleaner on the painted surfaces, you will strip the wax off and end up with streaks. "he" will look like crap when the sun hits it and you will be doing a wax job on "him" sooner than needed. :sick: Read your owners manual that came with "him", it goes over "care & maintenance" of your vehicle in detail.
    Now enjoy your new car..... ;)
    Got a glance of article on whats ahead for Mini in 2007. They are stretching the body to allow for more rear leg room and possible addition of rear doors. Front nose is less rounded to meet new requirements for pedestrian safety standards in England. Both Cooper & "S" will be available with a turbo instead of the supercharger and h.p. ratings will be 137 & 173 respectively. Base Cooper will also be available without a turbo @115 h.p. engine as equipped now.
    I didn't care for the "stretch version" but to each his own.

Ray T. :shades:
    If they stretched it I think they will ruin the uniquely cute looks of the MINI. :cry:
  • dlefontdlefont Member Posts: 7
    I just ordered a 2005 Cooper (not S) - 5spd with Prem Package and wanted input from current MINI owners. How does the car fair on long road trips? dlefont-1197@yahoo.com
    Here's the link to the article on the longerrrrrrr Mini
    http://www.autoweek.com/news.cms?newsId=102232

Diefont, My first trip with my Mini was after a 500 mile breakin and was to Virginia/North Carolina from upstate N.Y. about 1500 miles round trip. It was a blast but the stiffness of the Mini starts to wear on the bones after a while. I found myself stopping every 200 miles for a breif walk to get the circulation going again. Was getting a little over 400 miles to a tank of gas also. The car is built to handle so ride comfort suffers on long hauls. All in all I still enjoyed the trip and since Mini's on the road were still few and far between the looks had me laughing and smiling the whole trip. :P
    Hmm...to my surprise, it doesn't look as bad as I had envisioned and feared. :surprise:
  • dlefontdlefont Member Posts: 7
    MAXI MINI: Thanks. That was probably the best description on a MINI road trip I have read. I am planning on numerous three-hour road trips; so after reading your response to my question, I feel much better now. Again, thanks for the information.
  • 307web307web Member Posts: 1,033
    That may not be the longer version in the photo. It looks like it will come in regular and long wheelbase models.
    I wonder if they will work on giving it a more liveable ride?
    Lets hope so, even if it means taking a bit of the edge off the handling prowess. We only have the base (non-sport) suspension, and even that the ride is pretty jarring on all but glass-smooth surfaces. Maybe if I was in my 20's it would be OK, but when you're in your 40's ......Nah! :sick:
  • mininmanmininman Member Posts: 1
    You will love your mini when you get it... to answer your ? about Dinan up grades they are available and i really recomend it, i have a 03 S with Dinan intake, exaust, computore soft whare up grades, pully reduction, and sway bar and i am over the 200 hp mark.. the car is kind of slugesh under 4000 rpms but is a blast to drive... they also have a coopers works tuning package which is a little high in price but is well worth the money... Good luck, Moto on
    Jesse
  • somename1984somename1984 Member Posts: 2
    From what I've read the suspension on base and S are the same. The only differences would be the runflats and 17" rims if you get them. Mine has both and I routinely take it on 300 mile trips b/t college and home and its still not too bad- but I suppose being young helps. Great passing power on the S too, even in 6th gear- I rarely ever have to downshift.
  • crunchcrunch Member Posts: 84
    The suspension on the Base and the S ARE different UNLESS you order the Sport suspension as an option on the Base MINI. I have one of each (base w/o sport suspension and an S) and there is a world of difference between the two. The S can be harsh compared to the base.
  • amitinsfamitinsf Member Posts: 1
    the auto transmission is acting up on my 2005 convertible, which i purchased at the concord dealership. i'd rather go to the SF dealer (as i live in the city), but have heard mixed things about them. has anyone had good or bad experience with repair service at the SF dealer? how about the concord or pleasanton dealers? i'd appreciate your comments- thanks!
  • akitadogakitadog Member Posts: 117
    I just have to say it, to no one in particular. I'm psyched! Dark Silver w/ white roof and mirrors, white bonnet stripes. 6 speed, multi-function wheel, sport package w/ web spokes, LSD (yeah, baby!), alarm, silver interior, floor mats, wheel locks, other stuff I can't remember. Yeeeaaaaaaayyyyyy!
    Congrats! Dark Silver with White roof --- my favourite color combo. Have they confirmed the alarm will be installed by the time you go to pick up the car? We bought the alarm when we bought our Cooper nearly 2 months ago, and are still waiting for the alarm! Something about the LED light on backorder :( Talking about the flashing LED, did they tell you where the it is going to be located? It used to be on the tip of the washer wiper stalk. Then they said it's been moved to under the rear view mirror ala all BMWs. Now they are saying it will be on the tip of the turn signal stalk! :confuse: :sick:
    I was told the alarm should be installed by Saturday. As for the LED, I've heard that it moved to the turn signal stalk so potential thieves will see it through the driver's window.
  • ace1000ace1000 Member Posts: 151
    I will be putting in an order for a MCSc soon, and I would like some advice on a couple of options: the location of the instruments with the Chrono Package versus the center gauges and LCD display, and the auto versus manual AC.

The center speedometer is easy to read, but how about the other gauges and the LCD display? It seems like the tachometer, the LCD displays, and the warning lights are much easier to see with the Chrono Package.

Some auto AC systems go crazy trying to get the interior to the desired temperature, and I often switch to manual to get rid of the roaring fan. How well does the MINI system work? It seems to me that the manual system may be easier to use than the auto system.
    "...it moved to the turn signal stalk so potential thieves will see it through the driver's window."

That's what my dealer said too. Although I wonder about the merit of that because I have always thought the location under the rear view mirror used for all BMWs is the best since you can literally see the LED a block away in any direction. Also, the alarm unit is a BMW alarm anyway, so why not use the same LED setup?
    Well, did you pick up your car as scheduled? Everything delivered as promised? How do like the car?
    Ugh, one little setback after another.

Okay, The car came in on Wednesday, I was supposed to pick it up on Saturday after they install the alarm. Well, the dealer called me on Saturday morning to tell me that they did not realize the alarms were backlogged and they wouldn't be able to install it until Tuesday.

So I go to the dealer on Saturday to deal with the down payment and paperwork, I took the car for a spin and then left it there for Tuesday. This morning (Tue) I get a call from the dealer saying that the truck with the alarm parts would not be in until Wednesday and I could pick it up Wednesday night. I was ready to pick it up tonight.
    Tomorrow the dealer will call me to see if they will be able to put the alarm on by tomorrow night. Ugh, it's a bit frustrating.

On a lighter note, I did see and drive the car, and boy is she beautiful. Those web-spokes look SOOOO much better in person. The shifter felt a little rubbery/vague, but I think it will tighten up with use. Is that a fair assumption?
  • markjennmarkjenn Member Posts: 1,142
    Have fun with your new car.

Probably not a good assumption. If anything, the shifter is at its best when new, perhaps a litlte stiff which gets better, but the rubbery/vague feeling isn't going to get any better as things wear.

It's subjective, but IMHO, the shifter is not bad for a front driver. Not great, but not bad. Some people report major improvements by using one of the solid/heavy shifter balls (Whalen), but I'm not a believer that a heavy ball is going to make THAT much difference. I think it's mostly the bling talking.

- Mark
    Maybe this alarm issue is a common problem for Mini for all areas. As I posted earlier, I'm still waiting for my alarm to be installed 2 months after we've taken delivery of the car. The story I'm getting from the dealer is that they are backlogged on the LED light, because that is a new part. Last year the light was on the wiper stalk. This year is on the turn signal stalk. But I'm not sure if that is exactly the situation because the salesman had told me the part is available, but just not in their local inventory. So I asked him why do they have to wait for the slow boat to China to ship the part over? Could they not Fedex the damn thing? He said he honestly couldn't answer that one! :mad: :confuse:

If there is no action for a couple more weeks, I'm going to start making phone calls to the general manager, and up.
    I must confess, I don't drive manual transmissions much, this will be the first manual I own. Maybe compared to the manuals I have driven (3000GT, Civic) it just doesn't feel as good. Or maybe that's wishful thinking...

We'll see, good thing I have 3 years/ 36K (and keeping my current car) to figure it all out.
  • pete99pete99 Member Posts: 1
    I'm looking at the Mini S and am trying to figure out if I need the Dynamic Stability Control option or the Limited Slip Differential. I'm not buying this to race - just to get to work and run errands. Can I live without these two options?
    DSC is a safety feature which helps the car avoid skids and spins. Statistics show that it is a very valuable feature in preventing accidents, so if you want a safer car, I'd get it, especially if you drive in slick conditions.

LSD is a performance feature which reduces wheelspin when cornering hard while on the throttle. You can skip it unless you plan on driving the car fairly aggressively. On the track, it is a great feature.

- Mark
  • SylviaSylvia Member Posts: 1,636
    Congrats!

Be sure and post in the MINI Cooper: Prices Paid & Buying Experiences discussion as well.
    One interesting tidbit to pass along. DSC is an extra-cost option, whereas ASC+T is standard. DSC is supposed to be one step up on ASC+T. However, in the (Canadian) Owner's Manual, they have the exact same description for DSC and ASC+T.
    I think we went over this is a few pages back. Apparently the Canadian cars call these systems with different names.

Whatever they're called, traction control systems simply cut engine power when a wheel slips on acceleration. It's mostly to reduce the chances of getting stuck in the snow. This is a very simple system and is standard in most cars these days.

Skid control has a yaw sensor that compares the rate the car is turning to the position of the steering wheel and from this can deduce if the car is oversteering or understeering. If either is detected, it then modulates power and brakes individual wheels to attempt to correct the problem. This a much more sophisticated system and recent studies have shown it to be very significant in the reduction of accidents.

Limited slip differentials are mechanical systems that reduce the tendency of differentials to route power to the wheel with the least traction. At least on the Mini, it is pitched as a performance driving option, although it should assist in getting around in the snow - instead of just cutting engine power, it would route engine power to the wheel with more traction.

- Mark
    I quote straight out of my owner's manual as follows:

"ASC prevents slip at the drive wheels while starting off and accelerating the vehicle. ASC also recognizes unstable vehicle conditions, such as fishtailing or nose-diving. In these cases, and subject to physical limits, ASC helps to keep the vehicle on a steady course by reducing engine speed and by applying brakes at individual wheels. This system optimizes driving stability and traction, especially when just starting off, when accelerating, or when cornering."

Interestingly enough, the same description is also used for DSC. I suspect both ASC and DSC are designed to do the same thing, but DSC is just a more advanced version of ASC.
  • novicenovice Member Posts: 64
    Okay--all True Silver base mini w/sport package and premium package. Crazy. But it's my wife's car and she liked the color and didn't need the bigger engine, plus it's what they had without having to order and wait. So far the car is a kick. I've driven it more than she has. Everything works great. I was worried by other posts that criticized the auto transmission but it's fine--though a little different. Handling is super--it's on rails in corners. Parking is almost humorous it's so easy. The ride is not a luxury ride, but other than on bad surfaces it works. It rides okay for the type of car it's meant to be. We'll get other tires at replacement time--these are run flats which are supposed to add to the harshness of the ride. It does transmit some road noise. But it's a very bright cabin and a fun cabin. The sports seats are very nice. Gas mileage is better than promised--37 on the highway. The radio is much better than expected (base radio). So many comments by people--amazing. People are really attracted to the Mini.

So--after one month--two thumbs up by both my wife and me.
    "So--after one month--two thumbs up by both my wife and me."

So is that four thumbs up? ;)
    And regarding color, we had orginally wanted the Hyper Blue, but as you said, didn't want to wait, so took the Pure Silver with black roof. Not the flashiest color but now we really like it. The silver gives the Mini a "high-tech" look, and dirt doesn't show much. The black roof and mirrors set it off nicely.

I too, am amazed at the positive reaction the Mini generates from bystanders, even though it's been out on the market for almost 4 years! I think the car will go down in history as a styling classic. :shades:
This discussion has been closed.