Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

MINI Cooper

Comments

• novicenovice Member Posts: 64
    smehder,

My wife has the same set up--Base Mini w/SP. I too am really satisfied with the performance, engine response, etc. And, while it doesn't ride like my BMW, it works. We took a long ride Sunday--several hours--the sports seats are really nice and the ride is fine. Again, I view this as a little roadster so I'm not expecting a luxury ride. But around town and on the interstates the ride is clearly acceptable. I don't know that I'd get the run flats at replacement time mainly due to cost/benefit issues. But I don't think they're particularly harsh and we just really enjoy the car so much it hasn't been an issue for us. My wife is more focused on the looks--I dwell on the functional elements. Hope this helps. I drive it every chance I get. ;)
  • cosanostracosanostra Member Posts: 91
    smehder -

My wife has a 2004 MC w/the premium package, cold weather package and CVT but we did upgrade to the sport seats. We are both very satisfied with the car, though I do sometimes wish for a bit more pick-up. The ride is pretty good for a car that I too would describe as a roadster. We've taken it on a number of long (5 hrs) and longer (8+ hr) road trips and found the ride and seating to be quite nice for a car its size - though after 8 hours I was more than ready to be out of the car. I am able to sit back and nap for a bit while my wife drives. Granted its not quite as comfortable as my Camry, but the Camry isn't nearly as cool or fun to drive. :)
    We did not get the run flats as the sales person did comment that the ride would be harsher, but we also weren't interested in the extra cost at the time. That and as it is my wife's car she got to choose the options, etc.

Just my 2 cents.
  • got_vtecgot_vtec Member Posts: 22
    I test drove an MCS. My main concern at this point is that I do occasionally take road trips and instead of fun twisty roads, they are usually on boring interstates or various back roads. Am I going to just hate the stiff ride after a while? The comments above about 8 hours sounds positive -- I usually get tired after 8 hours in any vehicle! 5 hours and I'm bored stiff and restless, even if the ride is comfy!

On the other hand, it was a blast to drive, and plenty of room for the driver. Well, my feet seemed a bit closer together than I'm used to, but I think I could get used to that. I need to check the back seat room again, but it seemed OK. (Reviews have said that it was cramped?)

I read some of the comments above about DSC and LSD. If I have no plans to drive in snow, how important are these options? I would consider the LSD, if for no other reason than it sounds like a sporty car should have that. :-D

I also read more than one review that said that the 17" tires made the car slower!? Is it worth NOT getting the sport package and just manually adding whatever features you like (fog lights, etc.)? The one I drove seemed "fast enough" but not faster than other sporty cars; that seems to roughly match the quoted specs in the reviews.

Finally, I probably don't have the patience to order one from the factory anyway, so if I do decide to get one, I probably will end up taking something that is close enough to what I'm looking for, options-wise.

I'm really tempted to get one for the fun factor, but I can't help but feel like I should get something a bit more practical! Most of the other cars I'm considering have more room, better ride, etc. Fun? Maybe, but the MCS just seems a bit moreso....

By the way, if you replace the run-flats with normal tires (even if sporty ones :-) ), what are you going to do for a "spare"? I was thinking, "Carry some fix-a-flat," but I dunno! :-)
  • bodble2bodble2 Member Posts: 4,514
    IMO, if you take extended road trips with any frequency, think twice before getting a Mini, especially one with the sport package. Several main factors make the Mini not ideal for long trips. The harsh ride, as many have commented on; the engine noise; and lack of space. Not just luggage space, but there is a dearth of storage bins and such for nick nacks. Even the cupholders are not that well-designed.

If you buy it to blast around town, or short trips out to the beach on weekends, etc., especially as a secondary vehicle, then you won't have any regrets.
    I commonly take 2-or-so hour trips. I probably would try not to use it on an all-day drive, as we do have another car. I did notice that the ride was pretty stiff, but seemed OK for the short time I was in it. Still, I couldn't help wondering if it would get tiring after a while.

I played with the "build your car" configuator, and it can get pricey pretty quickly. Do most people order theirs? The local dealer had almost no S models, but it was still better than the Scion dealer I visited that just had one of each model. Heh. Anyway, I wouldn't want to feel like I had to overbuy a number of options that I didn't need/want, and probably won't have the patience to order.

I thought it was a blast to drive, but it is quirky enough that it's going to be hard to get past some of these issues. If I were buying a 3rd car, I don't think I'd have any concerns. :-)
    I would consider anything up to about 2 hours (each way) a short trip. My experience is that over an extended drive, space, quietness, ride quality, amenities, power, become of paramount importance in occupant comfort. On a short trip, these things don't really come into play. Based on my 4-month experience with our Cooper CVT, I can't see myself using it for any sort of extended drive.
  • rayt2rayt2 Member Posts: 1,208
    Gerry, Its all in the seat of the pants so to speak. My first trip was to Virginia/North Carolina. The suspension even in the Cooper is stiff but that's how these cars are built. I didn't really find the trip uncomfortable at all. The numerous seating positions you can adjust for can make the ride quite enjoyable. Anyone who drives that kind of distance without taking 15 to 30 minute breaks every now and then would be a little on the looney side to me. Ya need to stretch out and get the blood flowing, gas, refreshments etc.
    The MCS has no spare as you know since the battery is back there.. If you were to change out to a regular tire ya better carry a can of fix-a-flat or tire goo with a plug in compressor. I do not like the run flat idea and was disappointed Mini could not find a place for a spare tire on the MCS. I installed after market 16" wheels and tires on my Cooper and do not find the ride any worse than the stock 15" tires. The handling did improve however with the wider tire (as I expected it would) I bought my Cooper off the lot as equipped, my only option was the Indi Blue metallic paint option. The car had all the creature comforts I neded as equipped.
    Whatever your decision enjoy... ;)

Ray T. :shades:
    Thanks for the comments. Ah, decisions, decisions.............
    The numerous seating positions you can adjust for can make the ride quite enjoyable. Anyone who drives that kind of distance without taking 15 to 30 minute breaks every now and then would be a little on the looney side to me. Ya need to stretch out and get the blood flowing, gas, refreshments etc.

I agree, being able to adjust the seat does help. Since we never have anyone in the rear, we can push the seats as far back and recline as much as we want. Plus we swap drivers every 2 hours or so and take breaks for snacks, etc as well. These breaks help to make the trip better and this is what we do on road trips in our Camry as well. Neither of us really likes to be in a car more than 3-4 hours, but you do have to see the family once in a while. :)
  • rummy77rummy77 Member Posts: 1
    I just ordered a MCS this weekend. The options add up really fast. By the time I added the sport package with web spokes, the premium package, leather, LSD, and some DIOs, it came to just over $28k. Pretty pricey, but I love the car. I think you need to bear in mind that the Mini is a piece of automotive history, and if you are going out to buy one because you've heard it rides nicely, or because it's cute, then you really need to re-evaluate. Yes, the car is extremely fun to drive. Also, it's very small. Particularly with the S, realize that it is a small but performance minded hatchback. It isn't going to ride like a Cadillac, and it's not going to be as fast as a Porsche. It's a fun car, that's pretty quick, with a lot of style. If that's what you're looking for, then this would be a good choice.
  • minialxminialx Member Posts: 1
    I'm going this weekend again to order my Mini.. I went in wanting the convertable but immediately turned my head, didn't like the way it handled when test drove. I the test drove the Cooper S. Not much difference from those two except the price. I test drove the S and was not impressed, I then drove the Cooper and what a difference, I liked it better. I'm stuck tho' with which one to buy. Also it didn't seem that the dealer would go lower that the MSRP. Has anyone had luck bring the price down.
    When all is said and done, my Mini would run me approx 22.2K (Cooper). With Prem & Sport package, Automatic, Xenon Lights, basic but that's what I wanted. But now there is SO many deals with other dealers that give discounts, does Mini offer them? I live in the bay area and was surprised that the dealers around here only carry 4-6 models.

Also, I read a lot of ppl getting free accessories with their purchase, I was offered nothing so I left. That's why I'm going back would love to get the additional year warranty, mats, amoung other things. Can anyone help?
    Thanks! :blush:
  • crunchcrunch Member Posts: 84
    Sorry, but MSRP is the price you pay for a MINI. In Ca it can easily be MSRP+.
    Here in Tx you usually pay MSRP and get a freebie or two. discounts are rare if any exist at all. :surprise:
    As noted previously, we (wife's car actually) have the MINI Cooper with sports package, premium package, and CVT. Clearly the car is not a quiet ride on the Interstate, and it's obviously a tiny vehicle. BUT--the seats are extremely comfortable we find, and the ride is not that bad. Based on other posts before purchase, I was expecting something nasty ride wise. By the way, since we didn't order the car, the one she took has the Leatherette. I have to say that too has been a very pleasant surprise. A recent spill of some kind dried and hardened. I simply used a moist cloth, rubbed a bit, and presto. No harm to the material, and stain begone.

Our other car is a BMW 3. I have to say, though I am hooked on the 3er, I can't wait to hop in the MINI at every chance.

If you use your car much, and you enjoy cars, do yourself a favor and have some fun in a MINI. Just don't create unfair comparisons for ride purposes, spaciousness, etc. The MINI is a unique vehicle--is it for you? :confuse: Only you can answer.
  • joesterjoester Member Posts: 11
    I have to share some thought about my 2005 mini cooper base. I now own it for 7 months and have nothing but praise to give to the company. My mileage averages from 29-32 combined with stick.
    The car is a head turner and I kind of uped the ante. I ordered 18" chrome Alba wheels for it. I must say that in New York City commuting, not a day goes by without a thumbs up, an inquiry from cars next to me at lights, or inquiries from passing by people who are impressed.
    I thought that I gathered this attention with my antique cars (which I collect) but the Mini has them equalled and beat.
    For those of you considering the mini you must be able to handle the "press". There are a lot of people out there who are intrieged by the Minis. Be prepared for this. I even let people sit behind the wheel to get the feel of the interior (when it's parked). Enjoy them. They are great cars.
    Joester
    P.S. I will put on the OEM wheels in December for the winter.
  • frankcoopersfrankcoopers Member Posts: 16
    I finally sold my 16 month old 2004 MCS with 17K miles back in early February. I sold the car for $21,900 or $700 above of what I paid for it brand new in late 2003 :shades:

I ordered a new 2005 MCS 6-speed manual (Identically configured to the 2004 MCS, save some new'05 goodies) in late January and took delivery in late March. car currently has 2,800 miles and not a single problem.

My wife has a 2002 Cooper CVT with 31k miles and no problems either.

Since I have plenty of experience purchasing, owning and selling MINIs, feel free to ask me questions. :)
  • minilunaminiluna Member Posts: 10
    Mark,
    Do you think the possible increased torque steer at the limit could be dangerous, especially on a FWD auto?
    My 2005 MCS is still on order, and I was thinking of adding on LSD. But I don't want DSC... All this ASC, DSC, and LSD is driving me crazy, a short drive mind you...
    MiniLuna
    Frank,
    There has been a lot of spirited discussions about the merits and safety of DSC and LSD. Did you get LSD on your new Mini? Would you recommend LSD? Go back a few pages to read the discussions. Also, I heard that Mini’s don’t depreciate as quickly as other autos.
    MiniLuna
  • frankcoopersfrankcoopers Member Posts: 16
    I did not get either DSC or LSD in my new '05 MCS. I only have the standard ASC+T (All speeds electronic traction control). My view on DSC and LSD is the following:

DSC: Offers added safety over ASC+T but tends to be pretty intrusive upon brisk acceleration. Also if you do lots of driving in mountain roads or over wet/icy pavement, then DSC may be a good bet for you.

LSD: At $500 this is considered to be a bargain for a factory installed and fully backed Limited Slip Differential. Me thinks the LSD is better than the DSC as it is much less intrusive and only works on certain situations. Also consider getting the LSD if you plan on autocross or do track days on the car frequently. If you plan to mod the vehicle with either JCW (John Cooper Works) bits or aftermarket parts, the added power can affect your MINI's ability to maintain proper traction, spcially from standstill. The general rule of thumb is that if you either plan on autocross or mod the car, the LSD is hghly recommended.

Consider also, that an aftermarket LSD, like a Quaife, will run you anywhere between $1,500-$2,000 installed. However, some seasoned MINI Auto-Exers will tell you the Quaife is still better than the factory LSD offering.

Since I don't do autocrossing or live in the frozen north (I live in hot and humid Florida) I could not justify spending an extra $1K on enhacements I will rarely if ever I'll get to use.

Resale: Yes MINIs still have the highest residuals in the industry and rival that of cars costing 2-3 times as much. For the '05 MINI, its residual value after 3 years is still projected at 63-65% off original MSRP.

Like I said, I sold my '04 MCS for $700 above of what I originally paid for it new late in 2003. I have never made money on an used car before and keep in mind, that MINI had no sunroof, no auto A/C, no sport package, it was pretty much a "bare bones" car with just a few options.
  • reellawreellaw Member Posts: 23
    I have a 325i 1994 with 42,000 miles- still runs well, etc. but I test drove the "S" this past weekend and it was fun--am I crazy to give up a bigger car for the "S"?

What are the differences btween the 16 inch 17 inch and 19inch tires? I don't know enough about tires--

Thanks
    Try here to learn about tire and wheel effects and packages offered for your car. The site is very helpful to those of little tire knowledge...
    http://www.tirerack.com/upgrade_garage/WheelSearch.jsp?autoMake=BMW&autoModel=325i&autoYea- - r=1994&autoModClar=

Outfit the car with whatever combinations you want, change color of car to match yours etc.

"What are the differences btween the 16 inch 17 inch and 19inch tires?"
    The higher the number the bigger the tire diameter. Then theres the series (70, 60, 50) 50 series tire is wider and lower sidewall then a 70 and so on. The lower the sidewall the harsher the ride quality.

Ray T.
    Wow, it is amazing you can make money on a mainstream car! And I'm happy you were able to do that. :shades: What I don't understand is why would someone pay that much for a used Mini which has no particular special option? Did MSRP increase from 2004 to 2005? If not, why wouldn't the person simply buy a brand new 2005. Even if he pays full MSRP, or even slightly higher, he would still be ahead. :confuse:
  • markjennmarkjenn Member Posts: 1,142
    Selling a car for more than you paid is an anomaly. It happens, but not frequently. I suspect in this case, the car was bought for MSRP and imported into a MSRP+ market with waiting lists. For the buyer who doesn't want to wait or go out of state to get their car, paying MSRP for a used car may be acceptable.

And there are the expenses associated with getting the new car. It's kinda like the housing market - yes, you make good money on the sale, but you have to replace it with something.

And in some states (like mine) there is a huge sales tax hit. If I were to go out and sell my car for what I paid and get a new one for MSRP, I'd still take a $2K hit in sales tax losses.

- Mark
    But, of course, the trade-off is you get a new car in the process. :) If I can sell my cars everytime for what I paid, I think I would take the sales tax hit and get a new car every year! :P
    I'll second that, to me that is a fair tradeoff for a new car. Hmmmmm I wonder if I could get $16975 for my 2003 Cooper with 58k.............nah a bit much I think ;)

:shades:
    Yes, it depends on your POV. I'm sure by the time I sold my current 2004 at MSRP and went out of state again to buy a 2005 at MSRP, I'd be out about $3.5K in taxes, trip overhead, and accessories that wouldn't transfer over. And probably a week of my time. That's not a bad deal for a new car every year, but it's not trivial either.

And then you have to consider that if you can get MSRP for a year-old MCS today, you'll probably be able to get near MSRP for a two-year-old MCS in a year. So if you can lengthen you replacement interval to two-years, you can play this game effectively while spreading the tax and trip overhead over two years rather than one.

My plan is to wait and see what the 2007 model brings. If it's a nice step up, then this is a good time to pull the trigger. If not, then I'll drive this thing for 7-10 years as I do with most of my cars.

- Mark
    Everytime I buy a new car, I always tell myself that it is a keeper. But after 1 year or 2, I get the itch, especially nowadays with cars resembling computers in terms of newer and better technologies!
  • rsunicorsunico Member Posts: 82
    I had 16 on my 04 MCS. 17 on my 05MCSc. I could tell the difference. 17 is a firmer ride on bumps. 16 cushioned bumps a little better. Spoke to editor of Autoweek - he concurred my findings. If you live in an area, such as the northeast with crappy roads, I'd stick to 16, If the roads you ride on are pretty smooth Id go with the 17.. they look better, imo.
  • blitz64blitz64 Member Posts: 5
    I read alot about the 2007 Minis but haven't heard anything about 2006. So there is nothing new about 2006 MCs? I'm thinking about buying one now and if I wait until Sept. I can get a 2006 model. I was wondering what's new, should I wait, especially since buying a 05 or 06 is the same price. I heard the 06 MC S is $200 more msrp.
  • akitadogakitadog Member Posts: 117
    For the '06s, I've heard that the price is going up on a good number of options. Also, some colors are leaving the MINI and some new ones are being introduced. JCW package comes from the factory and there are some new trim packages. So, be aware that even a conservatively optioned '06 could cost you a few hundred more than an '05.

It's a moot point anyway, as September builds mark the '06 model year. You might be too late to get in on the '05s if you wanted to.

the '07s will be new from the ground up. They'll look very similar to the '06s on the exterior, but almost everything about them will be different, particularly the frame, engine and interior design.
  • rachaelsrachaels Member Posts: 1
    Hi there! I am thinking about buying a mini and I need some help! What is worth the money as far as packages go? I want to try and stay under 20,000 if possible--so I want the base mini, not the s. Can I stay under 20,000 and still get some good options? Also. . .how does it handle in the winter time? How expensive is maintainence? What about repairs?
    In my opinion, not too many of the packages are worth the money. The basic car -- either base or S -- probably represents the best value. I had to buy the premium package because apparently 99% of Minis are built with it. The multi-function steering wheel that comes with it is nice, but hardly a necessity. The big moonroof looks cool, but it really heats up the interior because the shade is a mesh design, and is not effective in blocking out the sun. But if you have to have a really "cool-looking" Mini, without worrying about cost or practicality, then I would say the Sport Package and Premium Package would do the trick. :shades:

Good luck! :)
    As the previous poster indicates, the smart money avoids the overpriced options and buys a base mini. The outstanding car in the Mini line is the base MCS - $21K with destination and everything you really need, including the 16" wheels that ride and handle better than the 17 inch on the sport package. Add premium, sport packages, and nav to a Mini and you're basically adding 25% to the cost of the car.

I'd much MUCH rather have a base MCS at $21K, than a MC with a bunch of options. I added sport, leather, and xenons to my MCS and wish I hadn't.

Having said all this, get what YOU want.

- Mark
  • ddw5ddw5 Member Posts: 23
    Hi folks. Just purchased an '03 S w/ 32.5k miles and every option except nav- including the 17" runflats. I've been told that the base cooper has a spare tire under the car. Is there anything to keep me from puchasing a spare, storing it in the same space, and putting non-runflats on the car? Previous posts on this topic are not 100% clear. Any help would be appreciated...thanks.
    ddw5,
    Yes there is something in the way, the dual exhaust and placing the battery in the rear on the S eliminates any possibility of mounting a spare as on the MC. that's why all S's come with run-flats. That being said, many of us have ditched the run-flats and run without a spare. I carry a Slime repair kit and a compressor for minor damage and I have AAA and MINI roadside assistance if I have a big problem. It may not be the most convenient solution but it works for me.
    Hi everyone, I just picked up my new 2005 MCS chili red, solid color, with no extras for about $21,000. Love it. It has every thing I need, and I can’t understand people buying all the overpriced options. I can’t see how any adult human being can fit in the back seat, but this is not a problem for me, folded down the seats, and plenty of room in the back for carrying anything non human. With the front seats in a normal driving position, I could not get into the back seat. I can’t see how Mini markets the car as a 4 passenger.
    Mark, Mininman, Read a post a few pages back about the Dinan upgrades. Is it worth it? What are a Dinan intake, new exhaust, pulley reduction and sway bar? Is it possible to get up to 200HP without Coppers Work? MininMan says it sluggish under 4,000RVP, wouldn’t that make normal driving (not getting speeding tickets) difficult? I have to keep a check on my speedometer with my MiniS, just going thru the gears efficiently; I am always above the speed limit in the suburbs. I shift by feel, am I driving efficiently in each gear at 2,500RPM, and I seem to be shifting at least at 3,000RPM and above. When I picked up my car the salesman mention a more efficient air filter an exhaust system as an upgrade for better performance, he said 5 to 10MPH more, is this the Dinan upgrades, would it be worth it without pulley reduction (what ever that is?) an sway bar? I would appreciate anyone’s feed back. – MiniLuna
    There are lots of ways to increase the HP on the Cooper S. The most common and biggest bang-for-the-buck is the pulley reduction. This means replacing the pulley on the supercharger to one that is most often 15% smaller than the stock pulley. This causes the SC to spin faster, creating more boost which increases HP and torque. With a 15% pulley and the proper intake you can easily get close to 200HP (at the crank, not at the wheels). The attraction of the Dinan items is the that Dinan provides a warranty in the event there is a problem caused by their parts that MINI won't cover. If you do it your self, you take a bigger risk. The JCW package carries a MINI warranty and a high price.
    The sway bar improves handling a bit, but unless you drive aggressively on a frequent basis, you probably don't need it.
    Mods cost money and add risk. If your on a budget, a DIY pulley and intake is the best. If you read enough, you will get many opinions about mods vs warranty so make sure you are prepared for the outcome before you begin.
  • mini_cutemini_cute Member Posts: 1
    Is mini cooper s (not convertible) of 2005 and 2006 offer hot orange color?
    Hot Orange is available ONLY on the convertible
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    A bump in horsepower options may make the MINI Cooper Coupe even more popular.

Additionally, BMW plans to offer more body styles for the next generation MINI.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• njexpressnjexpress Member Posts: 170
    Hi All,
    I drove my first Minis over the weekend - a Type -s 6 spd, then a Base 6 SPD and finally a Base covertible with CVT. OMG OMG OMG OMG!!! That was automobile nirvana!!! It really is the anti SUV, about 180 degrees away from my M class.

I was all set to order one saturday evening until the light bulb went off - The '07 redesign is due in Summer '06!!!!!!!!!.

MINI2.com seems to contradict what 's on inside line - Supposedly, the '07s will go into production in Sept - 06 which puts the earliest availability at October 06 - which puts it 3 months off the dates on inside line...
    Also, I am not sure if there will be any '07 Type S convertibles available right from the beginning?

There are lots of pictures out there on the proposed interior and they are very polarizing. Well, the Mini IS polarizing, to begin with...
    The exterior is slightly different and looks meatier. Personally, I would wait for the 07 and HOPE they won't make them heavier.
    I can't wait to find out more and get on the waiting list - The advantage to buying the Mini from what I hear all around is - You pay MSRP period, so, it really does not matter whether you are the first one to buy it or the last, as in the very end of the model when it is just about to be restyled... (assuming you are not too concerned about potential maintenence issues during the first year..)
    Cheers!! :)
    -- njexpress
  • cct1cct1 Member Posts: 221
    A couple of things to consider...

This is a brand spanking new engine. Which is why I'm going with a 2006. It took Mini/BMW a couple of years to work out all the bugs from the 2002 launch; although I expect the 2007's to do better than the 2002's, I'll still bet there are going to be some growing pains with a completely new design.

All of the external pictures to date have been test mules or artists renditions. There has to be some changes to accomodate the european pedestrian laws, but I doubt the external styling is going to change too much, with the exception of the new models lines being (re)introduced.

As for pricing, it really depends on where you live. In the midwest, for example, expect MSRP and a reasonable wait. In California, expect above MSRP, or MSRP and a very, very long wait (although this may improve with the increase in production and rumored changes in allocation).
  • njexpressnjexpress Member Posts: 170
    As to concerns arising from Year One of Generation two - It is valid somewhat but - While Citroen is involved in the process, the engines are still being built by BMW in England and NOT in France (in a citroen facility) as it was indicated initially. Considering that the Bavarians are spearheading the operation and what sticklers they are in quality management, I will feel comfy taking the plunge with the '07 unless of course, I reverse my decision during one of those nights spent sleeplessly, visualizing myself in a Cooper - S with the top down and I deceide that visuals aint enough anymore......
    The exterior would be 90% similiar I would expect, not that I would like anything done to it really... Yes, there would be the slightly revised fascia/grille in tune with the pedestrian regulations..
    I live in NJ and they have always been available at MSRP, except during the very beginning. I am just hoping they wont make it longer than the current 143.9"" and more so, not any heavier - That would kill the spirit of the Mini!!!!!! If that seems like a possibility, then my vote is for the '06, even if I find this out for sure only by aug '06!!!
    Yes, there is a definite increase in production according to some high ranking goodfella from Mini - I thought I read it right here on insideline or mini2.com, maybe. Happy motoring, with your '06 mini! Good Luck with your purchase too!
    Cheers!!
    --K
  • davidg3davidg3 Member Posts: 16
    I do alot of commuting, 110 per day. 2/3 on highway at 70+ and 1/3 on country roads. Love the look of the Cooper and enjoyed a short test drive. Now the big question, anyone out there do a substantial amount of driving in their Cooper and can comment on the long range comfort? Thanks
    My wife has the base Cooper, but with sports package and premium package (by way of explanation, the car came that way--but was the color she wanted). The sport seats are very comfortable but I wouldn't expect the base seats to be the same. We've spent several trips in the car and it's surprisingly comfortable--your commute should actually be a blast--some great gas mileage on the hgwy coupled with a daily rip through the country turns. We joined a Mini Club and it's a kick doing the country touring. Minis hardly need their brakes for turns since the car just gobbles up the hair-pins. This is my view of it all, others may have a different take. I should add, my car is a BMW 3er and I really like the Mini--including the comfort of the seating. Hope this helps.
    We've taken my wife's MC on a number of long road trips. The car has the premium package and the sport seats. The seats are actually quite comfortable. However, on rough road, you do bounce a bit. Usually this isn't a problem on the highway, but in town there are a couple of streets we try to avoid when we've picked up the morning coffee. :)
    I commute a 100 miles a day and presently have 61k on my 2003 5 spd. Cooper (only options are bonnet stripes and color -Indi Blue). I bought the car specifically to replace an older commuter (91 CRX). Have been consistently getting 34-35 mpg at 70 -75 mph. The ride is as enjoytable or boring as you make it. Comfort is all in the adjustment of the seats. The sport pkg seats mentioned add side bolsters over the standard seat but unless your rallying alot the side bolster won't matter to a commuter IMO.

Ray T. :shades:
  • davidg3davidg3 Member Posts: 16
    Way cool from each of you have have driven the Cooper and find it comfortable in long trips and routine commutes. My favorite commuter was an 87 Accord hatchback coupe. Small, handled well, about the size of the current crop of 'economy' size cars. Rayt2, I presume you are driving a Cooper base not S. No problems with the 70-75 mph highway and excessive road noise?
  • micwebmicweb Member Posts: 1,617
    Congrats on using the Cooper as a commuter car! A touch of class, and massive savings in gas - out here all we see are Coopers used as "show and tell" vehicles by city dwellers going out to clubs, sort of the Bimmer of the new millenium on a reduced scale (but fortunately most owners are lot less arrogant than the 90's Bimmer crowd used to be).
    No problems with the 70-75 mph highway and excessive road noise?

We've never had a problem with the noise - its not any noisier than our 98 Camry. Occasionally there's a bit when we hit the cross wind just right, but going 65-70 on the road hasn't made excessive noise. We have the stock 15" wheels & tires, so bigger wheels, run-flats, etc might make a difference.

-cosanostra
    Dave, Not an "S" although I drove both for comparison before buying my Cooper. In retrospect I should have bought the "S" just for the better performance but still enjoy the base Cooper. I find no problems with road noise at speeds, no more so than any other car I think. These cars are quality built, aside from some issues here and there, and road noise is comparable to many of the better built small cars. I usually am hearing the wind since I ride with the windows down most of time, with the windows up it's usually the CD I'm listening to and we all know the sound deadening qualities of that LOL. :shades:

Micweb, Touch of class it is indeed and still draws attention wherever I go. We don't have a lot of Mini's around my area, I'd dare say I was the first in 2003 but Iv'e seen maybe a dozen in past two years. The nearest Mini dealer to me was 50 miles away although we have a BMW dealer directly across street they don't sell Mini's nor will they in near future according to Mini USA Corporate office. Sure would increase my odds of upgrading to an "S". The local "show & tell" shows turn up a few but their all drivers just tooting their horns to show the public. I even helped sell a couple of cars just by letting people sit in the car and get the feel, granted they were leaning towards one but the "feel" is what draws em in. The dealer rewarded me with $50 dollar "bird dog" certificates which was cool for my referrals and eventual sales.
    I have run into the "beemer" snooties too but really don't pay no never mind, lifes to short to be so hung up on oneself.

On another note I attended the SVRA (Sportscar Vintage Racing Association) Zippo Grand Prix race at Watkins Glen International this past weekend and saw a lot of the older original Mini's running their hearts out, they are still quite competative to this day and still draw the smiles on the crowds.

Ray T.
    2003 Cooper
This discussion has been closed.