Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

MINI Cooper

Comments

• cct1cct1 Member Posts: 221
    Ditto above. The MCS Gertrag has been highly regarded from day one. The base (non S) mini cooper used a different 5 speed tranny from a different manufacturer when it first came out; the earlier models had so much trouble (especially with the clutch) that they switched to a five speed Gertrag--I think this happend in 2004. It was a shame the original tranny in the base Cooper did so poorly with reliability, as it shifted incredibly easily.

So the tranny/clutch problems you're hearing about are from early model base Cooper's; the Cooper S has had a stellar tranny from day one (and now the base Cooper does too).
  • bry317bry317 Member Posts: 3
    I think Mini 2006 which get improving from its previous Mini is better than the 2007 Mini.
  • njexpressnjexpress Member Posts: 170
    extech2 - You are certainly entitled to your opinions. I still strongly feel it is as much of a guy's car as it is a girl's car. That said, If you want to custom dress a mini in baby pink with a purple roof and Cinderella stickers and maybe even go for cloud patterns on the inside of the roof, then yes, it will look every bit of a 6 year old girl's car too :D:D . What makes the Mini so special is that it is customisable to look like anything the owner wants.
    I drive an ML 350 AND an S2000; I got the ML because it was a REAL truck (Most people would profile it as a guy's truck) with a sturdy ride and I got the S2K because it is a very real sports car with one of the slickest shifting sticks in the third rock (Again, most people would want to profile this as a guy's car..There is not a single guy - under the age of 33 at least - that wouldn't want to be seen in the S2k, unless he can't handle a stick shift; In fact, most guys would rather be seen in an S2K rather than in a Mercedes SUV). On that token, the Mini-S with it's stick is indeed one of the nicest cars to rip thru' twisty back roads, provided the driver can handle a stick. I would still stongly consider a mini-S for my Camry's replacement, when the next redesgn is out. Maybe I won't go for a soft top, now that I got the S2K, but, I would still get a Mini for it's driveability. And yes, the hard top is just as full of testosterone as the soft top - in fact, it provides bigger doses of it, considering the weight savings...
    If it is more endearing to girls, Oh well, what kinda young lady wouldn't like a distinctive and well put out car that handles like a thrill ride, not to mention not wanting to own one for herself??
    eashley,
    Thank you for the input on your car. I am glad to know that you didn't have any issues and makes me wanna drool for the Mini even more. The basis for my comment was this: Wasn't 2002 the MY with the most issues and they got it addressed subsequently, starting with MY 03? That is exactly what I mean by saying the reliability might be questionable on the first model year unless the car is QA tested by real world drivers.
    I am not trying to make one of those "not as reliable as Toyota or Honda" kind of comparisons there. I realize a Camry is very reliable, so, I have one for the family work horse slot. The ML has questionable reliability but outhandles the ultra-reliable Lexus, so I chose the ML over an RX330. Finally, the S2K is more reliable AND outhandles an Audi TT or a Z4 ( i felt so at least, after test driving them AND test driving the S2k repeatedly), so, I went with that.
    That said, I am still willing to take my chances ;) in getting a redesigned mini during it's first model year, similiar to how I knowingly went in for my ML - I love my cars for what they are - I do not beleive in compromise candidate cars.
    Cheers!!
    --njexpress
  • alloway70alloway70 Member Posts: 3
    As former Army Sgt. who owns a very reliable Mini Cooper convertible I'd like to comment on how well my Mini held up in an accident. I was sitting at a red light with two other cars in front of me when a woman in a Silverado ran into at a high rate of speed (still don't know how she didn't see any of us, but that's a different message board)and luckily I never stop too close to the car in front of me (or I would have had front end damage as well). Of course there was extensive damage but I was completely amazed at how well my Mini held up. The rear end didn't cave in...most of the impact was absorbed by the rear bumper and the tailgate (which was pushed up instead of in). My Mini even bit back as her front bumper was completely pushed down. I've never felt unsafe in my Mini and I certainly don't feel unsafe in it after the accident (I just got it back after a month in the shop). Accidents become deadly when speed and negligence is involved. Mini has built a very safe small car but I doubt any car would hold up to someone speeding, talking on the phone, applying makeup, smacking their kid in the backseat while eating a big mac in their over sized SUV that only ever hauls around two people :confuse: .
  • ttenragttenrag Member Posts: 38
    I am glad you remained uninjured, but it only makes me laugh when i read the last sentence of your post. People cause wrecks...cars, or "over sized SUV's, don't cause wrecks. Do people need SUV's....not really, but that is none of my business.
    You are correct that oversized SUV's don't cause wrecks. But they do cause MORE damage and injuries when their driver gets into an accident--that's the point. Especially when the majority of people driving them really don't need them.

SUV's don't drive like an ordinary car, yet people (and I recognize this is a generalization; I own an SUV myself) drive them like it--and the results are often disastrous to the person on the receiving end.

Do we need SUV's? Yes, but not for what the majority of them are used for. So we've got a number of people driving them poorly, and an SUV driven poorly is far more dangerous than a Mini driven poorly.
  • kreuzerkreuzer Member Posts: 131
    I'm really getting interested in the Mini - especially the different body styles that are coming according to the very first post on this forum. Does anyone know if we'll get all the different styles over here in the States? I'd like to see the pick-up and 3-door wagon. Are there any good links on the web for more updated information about the coming models? Thanks.
    The only confirmed model is the 5 door Traveller concept (although it won't be named that). The other body styles alluded to are only rumors, and it's doubtful we'll ever see the pickup, panel truck, or moke, but you never know (Other hot rumors are an AWD mini). If they do come out, it'll be several years before we see them--there hasn't even been a concept of these (with the exception of the Traveller) released.

It's not even clear wether the 143 HP engine will be in the new Mini, as Edmund's stated, although it's looking more and more likely that there will be 115 and 143 HP Cooper.
  • kreuzerkreuzer Member Posts: 131
    for the info. Do you know where I can find a website or picture of the concept Traveller? Thanks!
    If you google mini concept detroit, you'll pull up tons of pictures. Also, if you google Mini cooper, you can pick up some excellent web sites (Edmund's doesn't allow us to link them).

Edmunds is a great source of info for most mainstream cars, but for something like the Mini, there are some fantastic mini specific sites.
  • hileatushileatus Member Posts: 10
    Perhaps this should go under Care & Maintenance but this group seems to respond quicker. My 05 MCS now has 10130 miles and I would like to know the correct tire rotation configuration. There is none in the manual. At 5000 I switched the front to the rear (couldn't figure out the best way to jack up the car so all 4 wheels would be off the ground; ???). Winston (the car) is shod with 195/55/16 Dunlop Sp 5000 runflats. Any help here would be appreciated. :confuse:
  • markjennmarkjenn Member Posts: 1,142
    BMW has never recommended tire rotations on any of its cars. Not sure why. Cynical folks think it's because they tend to offer free maintenance, so why do something that's going to cost them and reduce their tire replacement business?

In any event, you can certainly do it and it will help tire wear somewhat by making them wear more evenly. Some folks think it's absolutely essential, but on a FWD car like the Mini, you can probably just replace the fronts 2x the rears and do about as well. So I view it as important only if you're set on replacing all your tires at the same time.

If you do rotate, you never want to rotate side-to-side if the tires are directional (designed to roll in one direction only) and yours probably are. In any event, I'd just swap front/rear on the same side. Obviously, there's no spare to worry about.

- Mark
  • chedderchedder Member Posts: 5
    I'm amazed by the volume of posts on this forum!

I am ready to purchase a 2002 Mini Cooper for what I think is a great price. It's got 21,200 miles on it, leather, roof, 5-speed and CD changer. I'm bringing it to a dealer to check it out before I commit. My question to the forum is, is it worth it? On the flip side of that question, and considering that I've seen many other Mini's with more miles go for more money, why is it so inexpensive? The dealer that I am buying the car from says it was listed for $2000 more and sat on the lot for 3 months. So perhaps he just lowered the price to get it off the lot?

I relaize that I am answering my own questions here, but I am very close to closing the deal, and wanted a little more feedback that my own.

Thanks all! :confuse:
  • bfromholdbfromhold Member Posts: 38
    Hi markjenn~

I couldn't help but put my 2 cents worth in to your earlier post: "In the most current issue, they've published some updates, and Mini has improved to average and is now a recommended car. This is pretty strong evidence that, while it may not match Honda or Toyota reliability, it's improving with every year of the current design, and is now an easy match for virtually any European car and most American cars."

I currently have a 2001 Honda Civic EX with only 74,000 miles. Well, this is my first Honda and my LAST!! I've had problems with this car that's inexcusable. Examples:

* I had to pay to repair the sunroof only 2,500 miles past the factory warranty. :mad:

* I just had the automatic transmission replaced at only 70,000 miles (and it had been serviced with all Honda parts/AT fluid 6 months ago). The dealer charges a whopping $3,500 to replace the transmission. :mad:

I don't have much faith in "Asian" cars anymore than any other makes. Hopefully I'll have better luck with my MCS that I have on order. The only thing I'm still debating on is whether I should buy the extended maintenance & warranty. Does anyone have any comments or suggestions about extending the maintenance & warranty? Also, is an alarm better to get or a Lo Jack?
    The only good data we have is Consumer Reports and they definitely show better reliability for Asian cars as a rule. Of course, this is just the averages and you can get a Toyota lemon or a Land Rover that is totally reiable. But while I'd still recommend a Honda or Toyota to someone whose #1 priority is a reliable car, the Mini's record has improved to the point where I don't think it's a big issue PROVIDED you have a dealer within reasonable driving distance. And I'd wait a year on the new model - BMW has a terrible track record of problems with new or revised models.

The odds are that you'll spend more on the extended warranty than you'll make back on claims. If this weren't true, they wouldn't make any money on them and they most certainly make money on extended warranties - it's one of the most profitable segments of the car business, for both the dealer and the insurer. But peace of mind is worth something too. So buy it for this reason, not because you think it's a good deal, because it generally isn't.

If you do get an extended warranty, you need to make sure it's from a reputable insurer - I don't think Mini itself has a factory sponrsored extended warranty program. And bargain hard - their is usually a lot of negotiating room in their list price for the warranty. There's no reason to get it when you buy the car - you can always buy it later and from another dealer. Finally, be careful of bogus piecemeal insurance like "wheel and tire insurance" and the like. They're almost always a total rip off.

The car is under factory warranty for 4 years, so I don't see any reason to commit to an extended warrany for while.

Have fun,

- Mark
    Since you don't mention a price, it's pretty hard to comment on whether the car is "worth it".

Personally, I'd steer away from the 2002 cars at anything other than a blowout price. They have been extremely troublesome and tend to be plagued with shoddy interiors and rattles. 2002 was a clean sheet new design in a new factory - always a recipe for lots of problems. Mini made hundreds of changes in the 2003's and 2004's that have improved the car remarkably. 2004 and on are the "good years".

- Mark
  • chedderchedder Member Posts: 5
    Yes, mentionig a price would've been a good idea..

They are firm at $15,000. Is that a "blowout" price? Compared to others that I have seen, it is the best so far.

The '04's look to be around $2000 more.

I've read the posts about the rattling and (ugh) tranny problems. the rattling and interiors QC I can deal with. My biggest concern is the engine and tranny, which is why I am bringing the car to a Mini mechanic to look at.
  • Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
    A reporter aims to speak with anyone who has owned a vehicle and found its controls to be complicated. Please respond to jfallon@edmunds.com by Monday, July 17, 2006, and be sure to include your daytime contact info and a few words about your experience.

Thanks,
    Jeannine Fallon
    Corporate Communications
    Edmunds.com
  • bfromholdbfromhold Member Posts: 38
    Mark ~

Actually, I'm buying/ordering a 2006 MCS from Rasmussen Mini in Portland, OR. For some reason they don't have the back order problem like here in Washington. I was promised the car will be delivered sometime in late September to early October this year. They are selling the car to me at MSRP, and they're even throwing a few freebie items into the deal: sunshade and mats (front, back & boot). However, they are charging $175 for document fees and the trip permit (I guess I'm pretty much paying for the "free" items, huh?).

I drive about 18,000 miles a year, so the 3 yr/36k maintenance is really only going to last me 2 years & the 4 yr/50k warranty will be up in 2.75 years. That's why I'm debating so much on the extended maintenance and warranty. Plus, considering the bad luck I've had with my Honda, I'm not too optimistic on reliability anymore. Interestingly enough, the price for the extensions are cheaper than the dealer here in Washington. Not too sure why... I guess I can wait and think about it. I don't believe I'd have to pay tax on the extension if I paid it Oregon as well?

I'm also still toying over the possibility of getting the security alarm or the Lo jack. Are these cars hard to steal? I rarely park my car for extended periods of time in questionable areas. Do I really need an alarm? Has anyone out there had theft problems or vandalism to their cars?
    Sounds like a fair deal at Rasmussen. Most folks seem to like them.

Like I said, get the warranty if the peace of mind is worth it to you. But shop hard and read the fine print - don't make a snap decision when you're in the finance mgr's office signing the final paperwork. As I said, unlike most other mfgs, I don't think there is a standard extended warranty backed by Mini USA, so the price differences may be due to the different coverages of different carriers. If you don't have time to do the homework, I'd just postpone it - there is no advantage to buying the warranty at purchase unless you absolutely have to roll it into the financing.

Don't know much about security systems or the theft risk of a Mini. A lot would depend in where you park the car and how good your insurance is.

- Mark
  • plektoplekto Member Posts: 3,738
  • SylviaSylvia Member Posts: 1,636
    Your post and responses were moved to the discussion MINI Cooper: Prices Paid & Buying Experiences
  • gretsch6120gretsch6120 Member Posts: 48
    How are you guys knowing if they sell at MSRP? Is it on the car sticker at the dealer? And this is +Taxes, Tags, Title Correct?

I'm headed over to Mini of Concord in SF Bay area on Saturday to test drive a Cooper with my wife. She's against one as she thinks its too unsafe but I'm at least going to test drive it with her. :) Am looking to sell my G35 Coupe but still want some fun.

Andy
    Several people have reported they've made MSRP deals at Concord. I think that's there public policy and doesn't require any negotiation. The drawback is that they usually have a longer waiting list than dealers who mark up over MSRP and then allow you to dicker them down.

Yes, typically when someone says they bought at MSRP, they paid the bottom-line mfg sticker price (including destination), plus tax, title, and license fees (the stuff that is fixed by the state).

I think Mini's are safe enough and are a blast to drive, but you definitely are going to be taking a huge step down from a G35 in terms of ride, comfort, outright speed, etc.

- Mark
  • shadrach2shadrach2 Member Posts: 9
    East Bay only charges MSRP and has a long wait. Concord routinely marks up pretty much every car in the lot (BMW or MINI) and I'm not aware of them coming down to MSRP. They certainly didn't do it when I tried to buy a car off the lot. Their "thing" is that they have a large inventory and if you want one you're going to have to pay.
  • gretsch6120gretsch6120 Member Posts: 48
    This is what I've heard as well. Was out at Concord over the weekend. Spoke with internet/AAA/Costco selling named Mari. Very very nice woman.

The cooper is currently going for $1100 over MSRP and the S some $1800. She said that she could get only $600 over MSRP for Costco or AAA members.

-A
  • bodble2bodble2 Member Posts: 4,514
    Did Mini replace the CVT with a conventional 6-speed Steptronic for the Base Cooper for 2006? I didn't see any reference to CVT on the Mini.ca site.
    I haven't heard this. I believe the CVT has a "step mode" to simulate a conventional tranny with discrete gears, but it's still a CVT.

- Mark
  • andys120andys120 Member Posts: 23,388
    Did Mini replace the CVT with a conventional 6-speed Steptronic for the Base Cooper for 2006? I didn't see any reference to CVT on the Mini.ca site.

AFAIK that is the case.

2001 BMW 330ci/E46, 2008 BMW 335i conv/E93

A reporter seeks to talk with current owners of the Mini Cooper. Please send your daytime contact info and the model year of your vehicle to jfallon@edmunds.com no later than Wednesday, September 27, 2006.

Thanks,
    Jeannine Fallon
    Corporate Communications
    Edmunds.com
    A reporter seeks to talk with current owners of the Mini Cooper. Please send your daytime contact info and the model year of your vehicle to jfallon@edmunds.com no later than Wednesday, September 27, 2006.

Thanks,
    Jeannine Fallon
    Corporate Communications
    Edmunds.com
  • bpraxisbpraxis Member Posts: 292
    Why not purchase a new 2006 Mini or better yet 2007 for $18,000 with just the standard options?

Why pay $15,000 for a used Mini when you can own a new one with a full warranty for $3000.00 more not to mention the quality problems for 2002.

Enough said.............
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    Hi all,
    You'll notice that we're dividing some of the information to make it easier for folks to find the exact info they're looking for. Please visit the top-level MINI Cooper group to see the new discussions, and feel free to create new ones that you think might be of interest to members!

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• joesterjoester Member Posts: 11
    Mark,
    My question is seperate from warranty issue. Wanted to ask you what brand did you use when you did your brakes on your mini. I'm at the point where my factory pads probably need changing. I've got 33,000 on the odometer. Are O.E.M. pads worth it?
    Would like to hear your thoughts,
    Joe
    I'm not Mark, but I'll chime in...

I'd stick with the OEM pads. There are other pads with better stopping power, and also less brake dust (greenstuff pads are popular on the Mini), but there have been several reports of people having issues with the rotors warping after going with a non OEM brake pad--I'd stick with the OEM pads.
  • joesterjoester Member Posts: 11
    Thanks CCT1. Will heed your advise.
    Joe
  • rphillips2rphillips2 Member Posts: 40
    I have an 06 S and changed to the "Redbox" pads. They have 12k on them with no warping issues. I couldn't stand all the dust generated by the stock pads. I had to wash the wheels every 1-2 days and now I can go 1-1/2 to 2 weeks.
    Does anyone know if the keyless entry can be programmed to auto-lock? Not auto relock (which I know it can do), but auto-lock, in the sense that you can park, exit, close the door, walk away, and the car will lock (and arm if so equipped) itself after a programmed number of minutes.
  • blueguydotcomblueguydotcom Member Posts: 6,249
    No comfort access will not autolock. It's the one design gaffe, imho.
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    Has anyone had experience with the sunroof creating too much buffeting and wind noise and really being annoying? I've heard this complaint a few times from MINI owners but haven't experienced it myself.
  • coupahcoupah Member Posts: 18
    Absolutely, YES. it's much better w/ windows down...
    that is all!
    Okay thanks. But with windows UP, it is like...annoying...or unbearably loud that you couldn't even have a conversation?
  • abangabang Member Posts: 44
    Does anybody what kind of gas the base 2007 Mini requires? Regular unleaded or premium? Edmunds does not have that info listed under the specs. for the 2007 model.

Since it now has a Peugeot supplied engine, I'm wondering what kind of gas it requires. An informal survey of my friends in Europe indicate that Peugeots are pretty reliable cars which gives me more confidence in the new Mini engine.
  • luvtodriverluvtodriver Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2006 Audi A4 manual wagon 2.0 liter engine; have had it exactly a year and have driven 20,000 miles so far and the gas prices are killing me. Although on paper the MINI COOPER S doesn't state significantly different numbers, what has been your experience? I'm seriously thinking of trading my Audi for a MINI. Any thoughts? thanks... :confuse:
  • traumertraumer Member Posts: 19
    For all your questions check out the Mini Cooper web site at:
    northamericanmotoring.com , its a hot bed of Mini Cooper fans with more posts and pictures than you can ever read or look at.
    If you're concern with gas mileage, you may want to look past the Mini (base or S).
    the 2007 MINI base model has some good MPG figures.
  • sinn6sinn6 Member Posts: 2
    I'm thinking about going to a dealership and buying a 2007 Mini. I really like Mini Coopers and I just want to know from owners some of the technical problems it might have. Or if I should even get a Mini at all. The only thing that I'm worried about with this car is that I live about 300+ miles from the closest dealership.
    I am currently seeking a Mini S Auto
  • pharmd718pharmd718 Member Posts: 78
    I picked up my mini cooper S a few weeks ago. I noticed that the wheels got dirty very quickly with some black resedue. I am assuming that its from the brakes and is to be expected.
    The only thing that I dislike about the mini is reaching for the seatbelt. However, that can easily be corrected with an attachment to the headrest that pulls out the belt for easy reach.
    As time goes by the car becomes more and more fun to drive. My only regret is not getting the sunroof. The multi function steering wheel is a must (the only way you get cruise control).
    Best of luck
  • sinn6sinn6 Member Posts: 2
    I'm really looking foward to getting a Mini S and where I live the only way you can get a good deal on a Mini is at the dealerships (in Pensacola, Fl they sell used Mini's for about the same price a person could get a new Mini for)
This discussion has been closed.