Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

MINI Cooper

Comments

• jcphenryjcphenry Member Posts: 8
    how many of the people who put their names on the
    waiting lists for the T-bird actually end up buying them.
  • rickroverrickrover Member Posts: 601
    Wow - good to see a lot more activity here. It will be interesting to see how "Mini Mania" plays out in the U.S.. A friend of mine thinks the Mini will be the next "chick car" - I hadn't thought about that before, but now that he said it I can see that possibility occurring - It is "so cute" and all. Any thoughts?
  • xhawkeyexhawkeye Member Posts: 10
    Cooper - chick car
    Cooper S - non chick car

It'll be like the Integra where non vtec models are chick cars.
  • wishnhigh1wishnhigh1 Member Posts: 363
    But I know way too many girls that wont accept anything but the top of the line, fastest model. I personally know one of them that can probably kick all your butts in an autocross. She kicked my butt, I know that!
  • cayennered1cayennered1 Member Posts: 193
    Well the new Beetle sure is a chick car. So I have little doubt that the Mini with its terminal cuteness won't follow suit.
  • jwilberdingjwilberding Member Posts: 25
    e-mail me if you want to know how to find an M-coupe for close to Cooper S price.
    Just got back from UK and didn't have a chance to line up a test drive of the mini... not as many of them on the road as I was expecting. All of their car mags (some great ones) had good things to say except for one interesting article about a couple who had a string of problems. (the husband did buy it for the wife...)

The Mini has much more of a history overseas and in particular in the UK, but my informal pub polling found that not everyone was as crazy about it as we seem to be in the states. They have sooo much more to chose from than we do. The Renault Clio Sport 6 was really beautiful,the Peugot 307 was nice and I loved the Lotus Elise. Although a little higher priced word is that the Elise will make it to the US in 2003. Of course the FEDS will probably have to modify the aluminum chasis and tweak the engine or change altogether.

Maybe the Mini will need at least one year to fix some of the little problems. (new one is that is pulling to one side, BMW supposedly put out a service bulletin to it's Mini Dealers)
    Many people feel buying a car in the first year of production is not wise, but I think that is another subject on the board.
  • cayennered1cayennered1 Member Posts: 193
    I have the brochure from the Detroit Show and it indicates ten color choices of which I believe 2 or 3 are specific to the Cooper S. The brochure indicates that there are more colors to come.

Anyone know of any new or additional colors. I heard someone mention Rootbeer at one time (a brown, I presume).
  • gotenks243gotenks243 Member Posts: 116
    I don't think I quite agree with the interpretation of the Thunderbird in post #250. You seem to imply that Ford is having a hard time selling the new T-birds, which last I heard is totally untrue. As far as I know, they're still backlisted and every one built is already sold, practically. This is obviously a success, but you seem to imply this is a flop.

And about people worrying about the size of the Mini and thus its practicality, I took careful note to sit in the back seat quite a few times at NAIAS in Detroit this year. I'm 6'0", with fairly long legs, and I found it quite bearable. I was more comfortable in the back of the Mini than in the Audi A4 (lack of knee room!) and the Nissan Sentra Spec V (horrible rear room even compared to all its compact-car competitors). Sure, it isn't quite as comfy as even the 3-series, but it's still there when you need it and not totally useless or anything.

While we're talking about comfort, am I the only one who felt more comfortable in the Mini Cooper with the normal seats than in the Mini Cooper S with the sport seats standard? For some reason I just felt so much better sitting in non-S...which is sad, since oh boy would I love the engine in that S. Maybe if I ever do end up buying one, I can just buy a non-S and upgrade it aftermarket or buy an S and just get the seats switched out or something.

Mike
  • rezo00rezo00 Member Posts: 103
    that costs to much
  • seminole_kevseminole_kev Member Posts: 1,696
    just depends on how much you're willing to spend on quality. Like those that would buy a Crown Vic over a Mercedes S-class because they're the same size and therefore the S-class is over priced.....
  • revkarevka Member Posts: 1,750
    You'll now find a direct link to Edmunds' Mini Cooper New Vehicle information in the Helpful Links on the left side of the page. Hope this is helpful.

Revka

Host

Hatchbacks & Station Wagons Boards

• alika21alika21 Member Posts: 7
    Who can't afford a $16,300 base price please.
  • revdrluvrevdrluv Member Posts: 417
    If I was shopping for a SVT focus, Mazda MP3, Civic Si or Sentra SE-R, I think a Mini is definately in the mix for cross shopping.
    you have a Mini dealer even remotely close. Unfortunately I'd have about an 11 hour drive to the nearest Mini dealer to get servicing. Hope the Mini is a big hit so maybe they'll allow more Mini dealers. At least that way I'd have an extra choice.
    For those interested, you can check through Edmunds' Dealer Locator to see where the closest Mini dealer is to you.

Revka
    Host
    Are you big enough to drive a MINI? That is the question people will begin asking themselves soon. This car is not a flash in the pan like the beetle, why becuase the MINI is not just a Golf with different skni. The MINI is technologicaly amazing. It has all standard features found on its larger BMW relatives. ASC, DSC,Electronic brakeforce distrobution, cornering brake control Traction control, Drive by wire, 6 air bags, Speed sensitive wipers, flat tire monitor, etc.... all matched by a rear wheel drive suspension in a front wheel drive car. Why, because how else could it out slalum every Ferarri and Lamborghini and that Road and Track has ever tested. This will be an amazing car and anyone who calls it a chick car either is too far back on the waiting lists that they will never have one, or they mistake small with womanly because of their inferior packages.
    the MINI is not a "drive by wire" car. It has throttle by wire if I remember correctly, but the steering is still a mechanical unit with mechanical linkage.
    You are absolutly correct, but that does not take away from the fact that it is an unbelievable car for a very small ammount of money.
    Now if they could just get a few more dealers out there.......
    And don't forget the fact that the MINI Cooper that Road and Track tested - the one that outhandled Ferrari, Lambo and every other thing BMW makes did not have the sport suspension option, 17"wheels or even proper tires, it had the standard suspension, 15" wheels and all season tires! It makes me wonder what an S with sport suspension and 17's will do handling-wise :-) I checked with the manager of my MINI dealer last weekend - they will start delivering S in May and I should have mine in July or August. I will have my choice of grabbing one of the fully spec'd pre built MINI S' that get delivered or I can order one exactly how I want it. Now I have to decide whether I'm keeping it or selling it. I'm a total sucker for a good handling car - and the MINI is way better than good.
  • nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,421
    put your name at the bottom of the waiting list. Sell the first one you get, then by the time you can get the second one, all the kinks will be worked out.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• novcenthusiastnovcenthusiast Member Posts: 80
    Where are you on your dealers wating list? Just curious because I'm trying to figure out how long it would be b4 I could expect to take delivery if I wanted an S.

The MINI dealer I went with had a waiting list two times longer for the S than the base Cooper.
    The dealer here in Manhattan (BMW of Manhattan) has been alloted 300-350 Minis for the first year of production. They have deposits on 175 of them. I'm not sure of the breakdown of Coppers to Cooper S'.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

EastBay MINI is supposed to get somewhere between 200-300.

If the national projections of 20K for the year are correct and the statement "about 5% will be S models" is also correct then there will only be about 1,000 S models. Thinking about it 5% seems kinda low.

Anyone know if these numbers are about right? If they are then I would likely have to wait until late fall/early winter for an S. That's no good...
    That sounds really low for the S models.

I'm probably getting numbers mixed up, I don't have the paper I wrote down all the info on, but now that I think about it the dealer probably said every 1 in 5 Coopers will be S's. 20% seems more reasonable.
  • esq1esq1 Member Posts: 20
    I just saw the minis on display at the Chicago auto show. What a cool car! On a 1 to 10 scale, the mini gets an 11 for style points, both inside and outside. I want one like I wanted a big new toy when I was a kid. Getting back to reality, the mini is even smaller in person than it looks in pictures. The backseat would only be good for a show-off trip around the block; anything more and your passenger would die of claustrophobia. I could live with that. But what scares me is that the head position for the backseat is about 6 inches from the back bumper, the rear seat is right on top of the plastic gas tank, and the front bumper is not too far from the driver's feet. With the bonnet raised, you'll notice that the whole front end (the bumper structure, the wheel wells) is plastic and you couldn't fit an extra piece of paper under the hood because the engine takes up every square inch of room up there. For full dramatic effect, walk past the Escalade EXT then walk past the mini. I despise that my car buying choices are influenced by some jerk who needs a 6,500 pound truck to go to the grocery store, but that's a discussion for another board. I'm anxiously awaiting the NHTSA crash test scores for the mini.
  • xhawkeyexhawkeye Member Posts: 10
    USA Mini's front license plate location ruins the front. Should've lowered it to keep the chrome strip in one piece like the European version.
  • silver_bulletsilver_bullet Member Posts: 1,339
    I was afraid they were going to design some sort of ugly bracket for a front plate, but that takes the cake. I wonder if it can be removed and replaced by a panel that doesn't have the molded in bracket? I see they had to put those stupid side reflectors on the wheelarch moldings as well -- maybe another couple of parts can be ordered from Europe to do away with those too.
    that's ugly. What did they do to my MINI??? Feel bad for you guys who's states make you have a front plate.

Oh wait, it can't be my MINI because they don't have a dealer within an 11 hour drive from me!
    While you're waiting for more Mini news, come put in your vote for the Hottest Hatch. Happy motoring!

Revka
    Host
    Sorry I didn't reply sooner - I'm 17 on the list - I put a $1k deposit on it almost a year ago - before my BMW dealer was even a confirmed MINI dealer. They stopped the original list at 20 which happened the second day of the list. Most of the original 20 want an S so the MINI guy thinks my number should come up in June or July. Last I checked the list was up to about 300 - they don't take deposits anymore to get on the list. They expect to get 5 or 6 Cooper S a month. I will have my choice of taking an S that comes in or ordering one exactly how I want it. I will probably sell the first S I get if they are worth a significant amount over MSRP which I think they will as early as I'll be getting one.
  • hjr2hjr2 Member Posts: 105
    is this like Mini-me for alice cooper(sorry for the bad joke).

it is a cool car. I wish the dealerhsip were open this weekend when i go to cincy. It has a month to go.

I do nto think i will even get to see one at the dayton ohio auto show nextmonth, it is local dealers show, adn the nearest mini from dayton will be nearly 60 miles.
    BMW of Manhattan is owned by BMW of North America. They've got about 300 MINIs alloted to them for the year and about 170 of them are spoken for (with deposits). Since they are owned by BMW of North America, they will not charge markups. So you could get your Mini at the end of this year (given that the release is on time) and pay sticker and not a penny more. Plus the local economy around here could use a hand!

• thor8thor8 Member Posts: 303
    That is good information, thanks.

I read your wish list, you must like torture!
    Just kidding.
  • qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,936
    I have respect for anyone with an Alfa on their list. :)

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

I guess I'm a glutton for punishment. Supposedly, Alfas are extremely reliable cars now. I can't wait until they grace our shores!

Thanks for the props!

• harlequin1971harlequin1971 Member Posts: 278
    The Mini is a cool car. I think it is a great alternative for someone who wants a car of distinction but can't quite pony up 30+ for a Merc or Bimmer. As for comparisons, I would compare the Mini to a Beetle or PT Cruiser for niche appeal, a Mcoupe or BMW318ti (no longer available in the states) for quality of build and drive, and the Infinity G20, Sentra SE-R, Subaru Impreza (WRX) and the New Acura coupe for pricing.

What we have here folks is this: A car that is kitshy-cute, drives like a go cart on steroids, looks like a clown car with style, and is priced in the affordable range for most consumers. It will not twist most lemmings away from their Cavaliers, Corollas, or Civics....It may not convince the public to give up their SUVs in preference to economical "green" cars. But it should move some people, such as myself to consider giving up their current car for one with a little something different to offer. I love it's look, and I am anxious to get behind the wheel of one and size it out.

I currently drive a BMW318ti, and I love the car. It is size-wise similar to the new Mini, and I get kudos on it wherever I go. I would love to get back into a car with a CVT transmission, having owned the amazing Honda Civic HX coupe for 3 years, and never have to sit stressed and aching in rushhour traffic again. But the temptation to splurge for an S is hard to resist.

I will not be fighting for one of the first off the line, however, because like the 318 and the Mcoupe (and the G20) small, high-quality, expensive cars do not move the American public to the dealerships, and I will be happy to wait out the first wave and buy mine next spring. I just know that this is what the beetle tried to be upon it's re-release, a nostalgia car freshened with new technology. The beetles are cool, but a little too cute, and seeing them running around town painted with mouse ears and various other things, makes me gag just a little. I think the Mini is cute (kitshy-cute) without being too cute (Backstreet Boys-cute).

I have no doubt that some women will find the car attractive, as should some men. To make it a chick car would not be fair. I see it as an urban car, a euro-car for those who would rather go to a rave than a Grath Brooks concert. The hip college crowd will dig them, the poetry-goth crowds will respect them, the soccer moms will think they are cute (but could never buy them, "what would Buffy and Alison think?") and the highly-educated Volvo/Saab crowd will consider them for week-end cruisers (something they never would have done with the PT Cruiser or the Beetle).

Mark the fact that Mini plans to send 20,000 of these cars to the US (roughly 275 for each of it's 70 dealers) in the first year and you have a boutique car that has more than enough buzz to stay hot for years 1-3 and should be a small enough player to remain successful beyond that. If these cars are as high-quality as they are made out to be, I know I will be enjoying one very soon.

Peace and love to you all, enjoy the motoring.
  • alf3alf3 Member Posts: 83
    I own a 318ti as well, and have had a deposit down for a MINI since July. Interestingly enough, you mention how the ti and MINI are comparable in size. Actually, the MINI is nearly a full two feet shorter than the ti !
    Well, I wasn't looking at wheelbases or measurements, just kind of an eyeball appraisal. The Mini is definately a samll car, so is the 318 I drive, so I think of them in the same "class" of cars size-wise. I just got on my list down here in AZ for a Cooper (non S) and they told me I was 593 on the list, but most want the S model and quite a few are out of state. No doubt, many of the people on my list want the car and are on several lists, and will take the first one they can buy.

Me, I can live with or without it at this point, so I am not too worried, my 318 is in great shape (95 with 68k miles) and I could use a little time to save my sheckels for the new ride.

We'll see, I expect to get one by August/Spetember given the demand and my place in line.
    I take it 593 is typo. If not that's one Gargantuan dealer.
    Nope, that was my number, but they stated that the number included both S and standard models, and included people from around the country. I assume that people have been calling and getting on waiting lists all over the country for the car, and will take the first available dealer that contacts them.

As far as my place, I am confident that I will get my car this year, regardless of the inflated list number I have, based on the following criteria:

1) I want a regular Mini, not the S (60% of the people are on the list for an S, which represents only 20% or so of the Minis being sent over to us.)

2) I need the regular mini, but I want a CVT transmission Mini, not a manual (Cars will be sent one way or another, and some ordered, so opting for the CVT should speed my order along the list)

3) Most people on the list have been on the list for months and months. (In thoery, many of these people will have invested their money in a different car by the time they get their spot in line)

So, I feel ok about my spot, seeing as how it cost me nothing to get in line, I figure I have an easy enough out in the end, as does any of the 592 people ahead of me :)

Happy Motoring
    Got any insights to offer on the Mini Cooper vs. Hyundai Tiburon vs. Acura RSX? Please join us in this new discussion. Thanks for your participation.

Revka
    Host
  • capt2capt2 Member Posts: 57
    At last summer's Euro 2001 in Spartanburg they had two new mini's and a "real mini" that was there for the car show. What struck me was the size difference between the new and old. The new one is somewhere between half and a third bigger than the old. Guess they figured the US public wasn't quite ready for the smaller version. Maybe when we end up with the $4 gal gas there will be as many "little" cars here as in Europe. Right now the mini's a little small for my tastes.
  • alf3alf3 Member Posts: 83
    As I noted on the new discussion board...I cannot for the life of me imagine anyone cross-shopping these three cars. I'm speechless. To me, each appeals to a very different market segment. I cannot imagine that the BMW / MINI marketing staff considered either the Hyundai or the Acura as a potential competitor.
    There MIGHT be some folks casting a wide net who might cross-shop the RSX before going for a MINI, but I'm skeptical. The MINI is probably always going to be a limited availability car appealing to a very select clientele, while the RSX is much more of a mainstream vehicle for mainstream tastes. Tiburon? Not even on a MINI buyer's radar screen...
    But once the Mini becomes more available to the US buying public, I believe it will be a competitor to the Acura RSX...I don't know about the Hyundai. You also have to remember that even though car enthusiasts are the majority here on Edmunds, we are not as prevelant out in the US market. I'm sure there will be people just starting out or living here in the city or new drivers who will have the need for a fun, practical, inexpensive, small car and the Mini, Acura, and Hyundai Tirburon fit the bill nicely.

I live in Texas, and at present, there is not one single MINI dealer in the entire state. Zero. Meanwhile, Honda, Acura, and Hyundai dealers abound. That's what I meant by "limited availability". Unless something changes, the MINI is going to be mostly an urban phenomenon, and then only in selected cities - Acuras are almost everywhere.
    You're right in that respect. Not one dealer in the state of Texas? Maybe because everything is bigger in Texas and there's no room for a car called the Mini. LOL!

Yes, everything is bigger here, including the lawsuits and dealer greed. There is a legal battle going on between BMW and the dealers in this state over the requirement for separate sales and service facilities. BMW dealers understandably don't want to have to build another facility to sell MINI, but BMW NA insists. Until this gets resolved, BMW will not appoint any TX dealers. I was all set to order a MINI from out of state, but BMW dealers won't be allowed to service MINIs, so that means no warranty service if something cropped up - no sale.
This discussion has been closed.