Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

MINI Cooper

Comments

• seminole_kevseminole_kev Member Posts: 1,696
    actually the speed channel broadcast a SCCA pro rally last sunday. Well, sort of. They interupted it for some "great" Nascar updates. Of course, they did the same thing during day 2 of the WRC's Rally of Argentina. Really I could see the MINI starting in the WRC Jr events. They're more stock, 1600cc FWD cars. Some of the smaller manufacturers are making some inroads there. Would be a good place to start. Would love to see them at the top level though. Just don't steal too many victories from the WRC Focus ok? ;-) You can take all the Peugot victories you want though!
  • jr47jr47 Member Posts: 10
    Thanks! I'm pretty far down on the Cooper list (Sept/Oct build). I guess I might get a 2003 instead? Oh well, who knows... I'm not holding my breathe...Although I wonder what the changes will be? If I'm that far down, I might as well wait for the new model, it's not like they're giving price breaks on 2002's!
  • someblondeguysomeblondeguy Member Posts: 45
    The changes for 2003 will be;

- armrests added (I sure hope they're retrofittable, as my 2002 Cooper S won't have one :-( )

- the front cupholders will be revised/moved.

- many options such as; heated windshield (similar to the way a rear window is defrosted), Rain-senor (for wipers of course), and Park Distance Control (sensors in the bumpers omit a beeping noise INSIDE the car, letting you know you're getting too close to an object/car), should all be available for optioning, by then.

- possibly some new colour choices (exterior and interior).
  • segestasegesta Member Posts: 27
    It's funny that they would outfit the shortest car on the road with Park Distance Control. I thought that was just for bloated SUVs trying to navigate the Wal-Mart parking lot (!)

I'd love an armrest, however...
  • hpulley4hpulley4 Member Posts: 591
    Most, if not all, of these options were supposed to be available for 2002 but won't be.

I agree that parking distance control is funny on a 142" long car but actually with my seat usually all the way down, I often find it difficult knowing how close I am. I usually think I'm close when in fact have 4-5 feet to spare...
  • tollagtollag Member Posts: 23
    I was watching the SCCA, and noticed that broadcast.. because you know, life can't go on without Nascar!!! (jk... don't really care for Nascar, it's a boring sprint race). Anyway.. I Love Puegot it's Ford I have a problem with... and I'm sure they could pull out another 50-75 bhp from that inlne 4, and make in an awd vehicle. We'll see though... maybe Makinen will switch to it like his father!
  • tchoyttchoyt Member Posts: 8
    Been waiting for a long time for Mini and Mini S, no response from dealership in San Diego(Escondido), how are the 2 dealers in Orange County and how was the purchase, easy or difficult? I would like to hear what the wait has been, and if the Cooper S is worth the difference in wait time and aggravation in terms of getting one?
  • richardjenkinsrichardjenkins Member Posts: 20
    Verrrrrrrrryyyy Intelesting...

I am having the same discussion with my dealer. I was offered an "S" for August delivery at MSRP plus a mandatory allowance for options, but I'd be interested in changes for the new year. P N - What's the source of the data for the '03 changes?
    Reading from many sources, the new changes for 03' will basically be those that were removed from this year's car!
    Thanks for all of the responses re the 2003 changes. I noticed that on the test drive, no armrest! I am sure they'll make it available as an aftermarket option for 2002's though. At least that's how it is for BMW's.

As for lead times tchoyt, I can't speak for So Cal, but here in the Bay Area I was told 4-5 months for the Cooper, 13 months for the S. I'd love the S but I can't afford to wait 13 months! Oh well...
    Wow, 4 - 5 months to get ANY Cooper? Or to get one optioned exactly the way you want? I was able to find what I wanted on the lot, but with the high turnover on the local lots in Chicago, it took frequent trips to the dealer to check the stock. But definitely no waiting lists if you just want to show up and buy one.

For what that's worth...
    Yep, 4-5 months for a custom ordered Cooper. Although they say the timeframe is variable (people dropping off the list etc). They said 4-5 months is a worst case scenario though (but we'll see).
    Regarding in stock models, the dealer here never seems to have more than 3 cars max. They seem to sell very quickly, at least here. In fact, I went for a test drive last weekend and by the time I got back to the dealership, someone else had already bought it! (I'm sure he wasn't too pleased when he saw we had taken our dog along! - whoops! - ah, she didn't do anything anyway, she just sat on my wife's lap and enjoyed the ride...)
    But going back to the wait time, it's not a big deal for me. That's my timeframe for buying a new car anyway.
    By the way, I went to cars.com and found a "Mini Cooper S" listed with 500 miles, advertised at a suburban Chicago luxury motor-car dealer, for $24,995. However, the car is NOT an S, because there's no hood scoop on the car in the photo. Strike 1.

Then I went to the dealer's website and the same car was *not* claimed to be an S... *but* the price showed $29,995! Strike 2.

Identical used (~200-500 mile) Coopers are selling in Chicago for $22.5 - 24K. Strike 3.

So before Chicago-area Edmunds readers get all excited about the Cooper S for sale in Downers Grove, read all the fine print. Of course, if anyone wants to spend $30K on my loaded (leather, premium, heated seats, CD changer) "regular" Cooper, I will even wash it for you. It's the least I can do. :-)
    I was just wondering if anyone else who's car is going to be made before August is going to be missing thir Xenon headlamps, Heated Windscreen, sensing wipers, and the auto dimming mirror? My car is supposed to be here Early July, and I guess I have a decision to make on weather or not I want it... :-\
  • the_big_hthe_big_h Member Posts: 1,583
    http://www.moutons.org/sccasolo/Lists/2002/stockc.html

according to this list, the Mini Cooper S will be in DS, facing cars such as the Integra Type R, S4, IS300, Sentra Spec V, and the WRX.

The regular Mini Cooper will be in the HS class, which include common compact sedans such as Focus, Civic (except Si), Sentra (except Spec V), and Protege (except MP3).
  • pengqirenpengqiren Member Posts: 6
    I know we buy these to drive, not ride, but I'm concerned whether or not my 2 kids in booster seats in back will be able to sit comfortably w/o shoving their feet in my back. I'd appreciate any data/anecdotes about seating capacity in back.
  • only1harryonly1harry Member Posts: 1,140
    but I don't think I 'd put my kids in a Mini, at least not frequently or for a log trip. Buy a mid-size sedan for the kids (the wife actually) that you can be the grocery getter and use for family trips, etc. I 've bought my wife Galants, Accord and an Altima. I feel better knowing she drives the kids around in a 3,000lb car than a 2300-2500lb one that's almost 1/2 the length..

BTW, I can't believe the S4 is in D Stock. That's an AWD 250hp car. It belongs in BS with the older M3s, etc. Other than that the cars in DS are not badly matched. The Mini has its work cut out for it though.. BTW, you left out all the BMW 3-series V6 (330ci, 328, etc.), Eclipse/Talon Turbo AWD & Prelude. Out of all these cars, the power to weight ratio seems to favor the Integra Type-R (195hp weighing 2600lbs) but on the downside the ITR has the least torque out of all the cars.. We know the ITR has beaten the BMWs & DSMs in the past as well as WRX & IS300 last year at the Nationals and has been the presiding National champion car in G Stock for the last 3-4yrs. The only cars in this new class the ITR was moved to, that it hasn't proven itself against, are the Mini and the S4.
    What do you guys think? I think the S4 or the ITR will take the D Stock National championship this year at Topeka.
    '99 Integra GSR
    '06 Civic LX coupe
    '11 BMW 335i coupe xDrive
    '13 Honda Accord sedan (wife's car)
  • hersbirdhersbird Member Posts: 323
    Saw a yellow cooper today it looks nice. It is a lighter yellow then most cars, closer to my brother's WRX yellow. Lighter then my mom's 99 VW bug and much lighter then my 2000 Dodge. It would make a nice 4th shade of yellow in our family!
  • silver_bulletsilver_bullet Member Posts: 1,339
    Harry, in your post above you mention "BMW 3-series V6" cars, but you probably know that all BMW 6 cylinders are in-line engines. BMW has never made a V6 engine for any production car -- so far.
    I don't know about booster seat aged kids but my 14-month old son sits fine in his forward-facing convertable car seat (was rear facing at one time). There is lots of space behind the passenger's seat and you can arrange it such that there is a fair amount of space behind the driver's too (I usually sit too far back though). I occasionally have an adult sit behind the passenger seat but have yet to put 2 adults in the back -- I'm sure it is possible so I don't think booster seats will be a big problem. I'd put the smaller child behind the driver though.

Getting my son into his seat is easier than I thought it would be. When the front seat is pushed all the way forward, there is more than enough room to strap a child in. Rear facing seats would be much more difficult (did it last year at first in my 3-door Geo Metro with my son before we bought our wagon).

We have a Saturn LW200 wagon for our grocery getter and for overnight trips but since getting the MINI Cooper last last month all day trips have been done in the MINI! Last week we even got groceries in the Cooper, including a mega club-pack of diapers which required me to fold half the back seat down. The MINI is a fun car to drive and my son is at the stage where he wants to walk so a stroller isn't even required so at the moment, the MINI fits our needs for a family day tripper just fine (overnight would likely be a stretch but you never know, with the seat down a playpen/bed might fit). My son loves clocks and similar things so he loves the MINI too -- as soon as he gets in, he looks at the speedometer and says "CLOCK!"

The novelty of getting him in the back seat will probably wear off at some point but for now I don't see why a family can't use the MINI Cooper. I wouldn't want it to be my only car but it could be done.
    I've seen 4-cylinder 318 and 316 BMWs in HS too. I don't know if they're just old ones or what.
  • m37stevem37steve Member Posts: 10
    Tollag-

Xenon may be available for July build cars, heated windscreen not until September. I ordered in March, decided I could live without the heated w/s, but my order is on hold until the Xenons are available.
    Sorry. I didn't notice you directed that question at me. (I forgot that I put my initials down for my name, in my profile).

My source (and the best one):

http://www.mini2.com

I had an option of waiting for the Xenons, but that would mean that I'd be transfered to the back of the list! Since I can't really let that happen, I'll just do a personal upgrade to Xenons later... they'll cost like $700... only $200 more..

Assembly begins, June 14th!
  • mattrichtermattrichter Member Posts: 19
    Hi Everyone, I'm in the SW Bay Area and I'm looking to order a Mini or S with tons of options, but no Perma plate, wheel locks etc. I don't want to pay over MSRP and am willing to drive or fly a bit to get the right deal. Any idea where to look?

Thanks for any help.

Matt
  • kkcymrukkcymru Member Posts: 48
    Have you tried Lithuania? They don't have the S, but the Mini Cooper starts at just 53,332.64 LT.
    No problem! I too have migrated over to mini2 as well as Edmunds...look for me as magnus2 there.
    Don't know why a Mini should not be a grocery getter. We used our classic Rover Mini Cooper when we lived in the UK for exactly that. I drove wife and baby son home from the hospital in the Mini too...(!)
  • pablo_lpablo_l Member Posts: 491
    I have ordered a full-spec-everything S in the Bay Area. It'll arrive in October or November (Xenon and Harman aren't available earlier). I am not paying over MSRP.
  • mattrichtermattrichter Member Posts: 19
    Thanks for the hopeful news! What dealer did you use?
  • stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,441
    happened to see a mini for sale at a local Chrysler dealer (southern NJ area). Actually, the have a large high end european car selection on the used side (quite an odd set up, but the same dealer has high end dealersips and a leasing operation)..

Anyway, I only saw it from driving by, but it was a base car, blue with white roof. Really looked sharp. Must be brand new, the tries even had the sipes and stripes that wear off after a few hundred miles.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

and good websites with info about the mini, or upgrades? right now i'm really limited to mini2.com, and mini-madness.com

thanks a lot :)
    Not to be confused with minimadness.com, which is for slammed custom vehicles. A cool site, to be sure, but nothing about Mini Coopers! :-)
  • sadbluebugsadbluebug Member Posts: 3
    Looks like another good website with info on Mini.
    Will have to change my name as just traded my Bug for a Indi Blue Cooper. Way more fun to drive.
    Your profile says you were shopping for an Acura... what happened there? Just wondering...

Good color choice by the way ;-) My Cooper is also Indi Blue with white roof and mirrors!
  • m37stevem37steve Member Posts: 10
    I'm told that for the Xenons to be US DOT legal
    that washers and automatic levellers are required, and you won't get all that and the lights in the aftermarket for $700. Also, are you sure you'll go to the back of the list? That's not the case with my dealer-- my order will be placed as soon as the Xenons are available
    I heard on mini2 there is a warehouse full of MINIs in the UK waiting for a shipment of Xenon parts to arrive. Otherwise, they are supposedly done.

Washers and levelers are there so as not to blind other drivers with the xenons. I agree to this policy as many drivers around here have blinding aftermarket installations on their tastelessly accessorized excuses for automobiles that point right into the eyes of oncoming drivers.
  • tetonmantetonman Member Posts: 73
    Had decals of US Flag and SCCA on the sides. Also had chrome driving lights on the grill, which I have not seen before. Car looked great and was getting a lot of stares...

Only negative was a very small child in front passenger seat without a car seat...
    I was actually in Boston yesterday, and stopped in at my dealer, and found out... (also got a very cool bucket hat). He did however inform me that there is about a 50/50 chance that I will in fact have my Xenons, because when orders were being taken in March, (when I ordered) there were allocating lights... so we'll see in about a month, month and a half... Ohh and by the way, aren't the Halogen lamps also self-leveling?
    Yes I got the white wheels as well and put a Union Jack on the roof (being from the UK). By the way, the Acura MDX was to replace another car, but ended up with a Mazda Tribute instead. Will update the old profile. Also have a VW Golf. Too many cars.. But the MINI is the coolest my kids think...
    My silver 16" 5-spokes get fairly dirty so I'm wondering how dirty the white wheels look? I don't know if the silver hides it better or not.
    I've seen what the white wheels look like with brake dust. It isn't pretty. (Those darn pads sure do give off alot of dust!)

http://www.mini2.com/images/news/uks/DSCF0026.jpg
    http://www.mini2.com/images/news/uks/DSCF0027.jpg

http://www.mini2.com/images/news/uks/DSCF0021.jpg

It's gonna be a chore cleaning the white X-lites (16" wheels that come standard on the Cooper S) on my car.

Speaking of my car: Where are you?!!!!!!!! You were supposed to be here by now! Come home soon. I promise I won't rev you too hard. (At least not til your worked-in).
    Where did you find them on MINI2?
  • nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,373
    While I don't own a Mini Cooper (Congrats to those of you who do, they're beautiful little cars), I have owned a car with white wheels before and I must tell you that they are murder to keep clean. Now granted my wheels were mesh style that came standard on my 1992 Chevrolet Beretta GT. The wheels were hard to keep clean even for a 16 year old (it was my 1st car) who had nothing better to do than clean his car almost every day (during the spring and summer). My advice to you who have the Mini with white wheels is to WAX, WAX, WAX them to shield them from brake dust.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

Yes mine had black dust on them by the time I got home from the dealer. But so did the alloy wheels on my Bug. Only time will tell if it is too much work to keep them looking good. I was thinking about getting one of those "magnetic" brushes "as seen on TV" to wipe over the wheels between washes and pickup the brake dust.
    I was told by my dealer that the pads on the MINI are non-metallic so I don't know if that brush will work. Cleaning is at least very easy -- the dust comes right off and doesn't need soap or anything to loosen it (so why does it stick in the first place???).

Also, thanks for the article. Seeing the car on two wheels is neat, I just hope it only happens when stunt drivers are doing it on purpose! I bet he turned the stability control off...
    ..sometimes.

I helps repel the dust. (But not entirely).

The rims on that silver Cooper S in that article are the same ones I'm getting on my Chili Red S.

I hope they're not a pain to clean (with all their nooks and crannies).

P.S. Do alot of girls seem to notice you and your car? Is it a chick magnet?
    Not to stereotype but most women who've seen my car call it very cute, but sporty too (for some reason they say that quickly afterward like an apology). Definitely an eye catching car to one and all. I'm married and my wife and I have a young child so I don't really know how effective a magnet it might be to a single person...
    Well, you're right. I am! ;) What gave it away?
This discussion has been closed.