Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

MINI Cooper

Comments

• silver_bulletsilver_bullet Member Posts: 1,339
    Personally, I prefer the look and feel of the high quality leatherette used by BMW to the "real thing" - the fit is nicer, and it lasts forever with minimal care. From what I've seen, MINI uses the same grade of leatherette in the Cooper and Cooper S.
  • hpulley4hpulley4 Member Posts: 591
    Not much of a waiting list around here. There are pre-speced cars waiting on the lot of my dealer and not much of an order list either. Few on the roads though I now know of a few local people who have picked them up.

I love the pleatherette. It is soft and pliable, looks good, is not too hot in summer, and it holds you in your seat nicely especially with the sport seat bolstering. I wish more cars had this alternative.
  • milwaukeeboymilwaukeeboy Member Posts: 19
    silver bullet,

i feel your pain, i'm about to plunk down the hold money with an out of state dealer (the dealer here in milwaukee, WI is charging $4000 premium for cooper s). my advantage is that there is a dealer here. my guess is there will be one in houston before years end (which coincidentally is probably the best delivery you're likely to find on an S).
    I hope you get the car and the deal you want. I'm one of the few (?) people who doesn't want a Cooper S -- a Cooper would suit me fine. With no dealers around, however, I'm not going to go out of my way to buy a car that I can't get warranty serviced without taking a road trip.
  • johnny36johnny36 Member Posts: 10
    Pick-up my British-racing green Mini with white roof a couple of weeks ago. Just about 2 months from when I ordered it. Makes me wonder why some dealers have been saying 4 - 5 months for delivery. May be because I got such a striped-down model (standard with no options except DSC). Or perhaps, as my dealer sort-of implied, BMW has production windows and if you are lucky to hit the window at the right time... Anyway, I'm over-joyed that I got my car months before I thought I would.

First impression (after a few weeks of driving): absolutely incredible! (hope this counter-acts some of the negative comments). I didn't get this car because I thought it would be a road-rocket, but after getting it on the highway, I was amazed how much zip it has. Perhaps the most wonderful aspect, my wife (who is not at all interested in cars) completely loves the Mini! My biggest worry will be the arguments about who drives on trips :)

Second biggest worry: I'm going to get fired from my job, because I keep taking co-workers out to look at it and/or a quick jaunt around the parking lot.

Responses; everyone loves it! (it took about a week before I realized why everyone was beeping and flashing their lights) the other day a local youngster gave me an enthusiastic "MINI!" cheers as I rolled into my driveway (kids these days are SO hip...) I'm a graphic designer and my fellow designer all adore the attention to detail (the type-face on the tac and speedometer was a particular hit). I let a few car-fanatic friends take it for a spin and all were well impressed. Most thought it was a $30k car and were slack-jawed when I said "more like $18k".

The handling is incredible especially the breaking. Since I've had it, I've been in two situations that required VERY fast breaking (why does this always happen when you get a new car?). I can safely say that I would have lost control of our other car ('94 Corolla wagon) in these situations and likely have been in an accident. But, with the Mini, I never for a second felt that I would lose control. Forget about looks and zip and fun, this is the reason to own a Mini/BMW.

Bought it from Morristown BMW in Morristown NJ. Highly recommended (hey, they got me a car in two months!), very smooth dealings, no mark-ups or forced options (although I did get rally light, my option).

Overall, I've got nothing to major to complain about. The only thing I don't like is the real-view mirror (the shape seems to limit visibility). It took me a day or two before I realized that the side mirrors (property positioned) offer or provide most of the rear viewing. It's just a change in my driving habit to rely on the side mirror instead of the rear-view.
  • misterbeanmisterbean Member Posts: 7
    The start up sputters has continued past the last few fill ups - I even went to different gas stations... Not serious... it's going in next Monday.

All beware of the rain gutter - it's about the only flimsy thing on the car. Mine has become loose due to the dealer's "detail" job.

As for the leather - it's great. It really feels like seats that belong on a more expensive car. After 4k miles, they show no signs of wear.

I love this car, but I wish they'd put a larger visor in the car. I have the same problem with my wife as Johny36 - she want's equal time with the car...
  • crcoxecrcoxe Member Posts: 72
    And I thought we were the only ones ... johnny36 and misterbean, I feel your pain. I have always loved driving, and until we got our MINI, my wife gladly let me drive everywhere. Now it's a race for the keychain every time we go anywhere. No kids yet, but I'm glad to hear the rear is convenient for the baby seats - I especially like the built-in anchors.

We got real leather (cordoba beige) and absolutely LOVE it. After sitting in both at the dealer, I thought the leatherette seemed more "ette" than it did "leather." The beige interior with British Racing Green/white outside looks fantastic too. Never had leather before, but now that I do I may never go back.

I was looking through the manual a few days ago and noticed that the MINI is supposed to come standard with power windows that can be operated from outside using the key (similar to VW). Mine does not do this. It's not an option I really care about, but if I'm supposed to have it and don't then I'll get it fixed. Am I alone, or is this one of the "standard" options that is not yet available?
    If I turn the key to the left and hold it, the windows go down after unlocking the doors. If I turn right, it rolls them up after locking the doors.
  • segestasegesta Member Posts: 27
    I can't get my windows to all go down, either. Not that I'm losing sleep over it, but I'd like my car to do the things it's advertised to do.

Other gripe: I've got the black leather seats with the little dots. Very cool looking, but if you wear anything other than polyester, you will notice after a 30 minute drive that the back of your pants and shirt have the little dots embedded in them, and they don't go away... My commute must be too long, or else I better lose some weight!
    I noticed that hpulley4 has a maple leaf next to his name ... perhaps they decided not to include this option on cars shipped to the States. Not quite sure why. Perhaps the Brits are still angry about all that tea we dumped in Boston harbor and this is how they are getting back at us!

segesta - tough luck with the black leather. I suppose the upside to that is once all the dots are off the seat and onto your clothes, the problem will be solved. Your new problem will then be having to go clothes shopping. ;-)
  • drivinisfundrivinisfun Member Posts: 372
    I did initiate contact with Ft Lauderdale BMW/MINI a couple of days ago. Had an opportunity to chat with Larry Bonito, sales manager for MINI. Needless to say, these people are an absolute pleasure to deal with. They take the time to answer all your questions, no hassles, no pressures, no BS, just straight answers.

I encourage anyone living here in FL (Or the east coast)interested in the purchase of a new MINI, to make your purchase at Lauderdale Imports. GilasMini is right.. (Thanks for the lead and sharing your buying experience)This dealer will not tackle any "mandatory accessory packages" or any other price gouging practices. They do not believe this fosters repeat or long time customers. very impressed. You get your MINI anyway you want it and pay Sticker MSRP price + options. In order to confirm your order you'll be required to give a $500.00 deposit that according to Mr. Bonito is FULLY REFUNDABLE, NO QUESTIONS ASKED, should you decide not to but the vehicle in the end.

Lauderdale imports have a very good reputation not only here but in other MINI devoted sites, such as MiniCooperOnline.com. After interacting with them, I can see why.

Having said all this, however, my wife and I have decided to postpone ordering our new MINI for another 3 months or until the month of September. I was told in Ft Lauderdale imports that orders being placed from this week on will be strictly for 2003 model year new MINI vehicles (With a late october delivery date). The 2002 MINI production is completely sold out. The 2003's will be manufactured beginning in September. Problem is that Lauderdale Imports does not have the MSRP list prices for new model year 2003 MINIs yet. They will get the new pricing lists until the month of August.

Although we could go ahead and get on the order waiting list for our new base Cooper this week (The security deposit policy is a non-issue)still, we don't know what will the actual price increase for new 2003 MINI models will be. We are more comfortable waiting for them to get the 2003 MSRP pricing lists and then placing our order knowing EXACTLY how much are we expected to pay.

Also we are not in a hurry to get our new MINI. We figure that if we order the car in September, perhaps we will be looking at a late January 2003 delivery date (8 months from now).

We have 2 questions regarding the 2003 MINI COOPERS:

1) Does anyone have an idea of how much the MSRP pricing will increase on the base Cooper models?? $100, $500 or $1000????

2) What changes will be included in the 2003 model year run? One thing I would like to see added as standard equipment in the Base Cooper with the CVT Transmission is a center console with armrest. I think the rest of the car is just perfect.

We will indeed do business in September with Lauderdale Imports. Great people!

Thanks to all for your insights!
  • someblondeguysomeblondeguy Member Posts: 45
    Your car/key will have to be programmed to do that.

If I don't want to have the doors lock automatically when I start to drive, anymore, I can have that feature deactivated.

There's also a few other neat things you can get programmed. Your dealer may or may not know about them. Check it out with them.
  • dawgoddawgod Member Posts: 4
    I posted this a little earlier, but never got a bite-so here goes again.....Is anyone out there rideing around on the 205/45/17 runflats with the 17" s lite wheels?? Curious as to ride quality, noise, etc... It seems from alot of the posts that the more popular car is a base model, but I opted for the s with all the goodies, so I'm curious to hear some real world experiences. Thanx-
    I test drove an s with 17" and didn't notice too much harshness. Later i rode in the back of a base model with 17"; while my wife drove. In this car, I noticed an appreciable clunking over bumps. I attributed this more to being in the back with nothing to do then to the difference between models. Personally I am ordering an s with 16" all-seasons (just reserved a spot yesterday for a projected december/january delivery). I think the 17s will be cool, they just didn't seem like the most important toys for me to add. What goodies? The sport package i take it?
  • misterbeanmisterbean Member Posts: 7
    17" wheels will probably make the car "epoxied" to the road. I test drove the "S" with 17's - and was impressed. However, I just traded my '99 Cobra, and was reaaallly tired of the rough ride.

I also tested a base model with 16's - and loved it. I basically bought my car based on that experience. As you may guess, I've got the 15's -had to based on the package I wanted (sunroof) and seats. The 15's are soft and well- don't do the car justice. I will be looking for 16's - although they'll be aftermarket. I don't think 17's are worth the extra cost - both initially, and every 10K miles!!

Like crcoxe, I've got and the leather interior - beige and blank - wonderful.

Anyone in Florida aware of emerging clubs?
  • mattrichtermattrichter Member Posts: 19
    Hi all,

This information is for all of you looking to buy in the western united states. I live in the SF Bay Area and was looking for a dealership. My criteria were simple: accept a factory order, no mark-up above MSRP, and no manditory non-factory options. I started with all the Bay Area dealers, then fanned out to Sacramento, LA, San Diego, Nevada and Utah. In the Bay Area, of the dealers I could reach, there was no luck. If there was no mark-up, the waits were wayyy tooo long. (over a year for an "S"). One east bay dealer (or Sacramento, I don't remember now) was first come first serve for cars on the lot, but you had to show up in person to do the deal. So there was no garantee that in the time I drove to the dealer that a car would still be available! LA was the worst, with mark-up up to $6k for the S (One dealer at $6k, two at $5k, several at $2.5k and several with manditory non-factory options etc.) I don't remember why San Deigo didn't make the cut. Las Vegas has lots of people on the waiting list and was over MSRP as well. I ended up putting a $1k or $2k deposit on an "S" from Salt Lake City. No mark-up over MSRP. factory ordered the way I wanted (basically everything but the sun-roof and the back-up beepers) and about a Sept delivery. Great experience.

One of the dealers tried to tell me that BMW/Mini wanted to do this (underproduce and not allocate cars to regions proportional to the demand) so that they could make more money on keychains and the like! For those of you dissing the PT Cruiser, remeber that sells about 150,000 units a year without the Turbo option quite out yet!

Anyway, I went through the same crap when my wife and I bought an MDX. The SF Bay Area is a horrible place to buy a car that is in high demand. With the MDX, I had to buy from LA to get it at MSRP, But it looks like the Mini is too hip with the LA crowd so I went farther afield to find a deal. The LA dealers at $6k over MSRP said they were selling all they were getting.

I urge anyone looking to buy a Mini to do the same thing, just call all the dealers in an ever-increasing radius, until you get the deal you want. Eventually, the resto of the dealers will get the idea and lower thier price or back down on the manditory options (on of the LA dealers suggested I get custom flames painted on the car to make the manditory option premium!)

Good luck to all the purchasers!

Matt
  • stryderstryder Member Posts: 140
    I took my car in and asked them to give me a list of what they could program, and I got the 'follow me home lights' (optional delay for the headlights to turn off after turning off the car) auto-lock at 12mph, and 1 button unlock for everything from the remote. They never mentioned windows down, and specifically said daytime running lights weren't an option for my car, so I guess there's a big range from car to car as well as the canadian versions.
  • tollagtollag Member Posts: 23
    I got my Electric Blue Cooper S programmed with daytime running lights... If your dealer said it's not an option, you should have a talk with them...
    I sort of believe them, they said they thought it was possible, but then plugged the car in, and the option didn't come up. This was at classic in cleveland, I also got the same answer when I bought the car at towne in buffalo. Why its not an option, they had no clue, but they did find the follow me home lights which they didn't know about until plugging in since I mentioned it.
    I've heard a good number of reports about cars that won't take certain options. At first I wasn't sure if it was incompetent dealers or what but I suppose it is possible that there are different versions of the onboard computer hardware and software. Some features might require an upgrade. Just a guess but I've heard enough that I'm not sure all of them are just stupid service people.
    Could very likely be firmware (the name given to software stored on proms for embedded computers)revision. Because so much of the control is actually done in firmware (as opposed to hardware) it is entirely possible that new features were added in newer versions.

You can see the same sort of thing with cell phones, certain features don't exist with older versions. Another common thing is that you will buy a new phone that will have firmware several revisions out of date. This is probably the case with cars too. Can dealers do upgrades? This I don't know.

I thought DLRs were required in the States. Not that I'm a fan; I just thought they were unavoidable with newer cars.
    I don't think the states required them yet though GM, Volvo and others are lobbying for them to be made mandatory.
    Whoa, you guys just kicked it up a notch! I thought I was all high-tech with a cell phone and a Palm Pilot. I get the jist of it, but what exactly is "DLR" (or is it "DRL")? In any event, your feedback tells me I should go back to the dealer and see what toys I can add on to my car. The key-operated-windows are nothing more than a novelty, but some of the other options you all have mentioned sound great.
    DRLs are Daytime Running Lamps. Basically low power output from either the high or low lamps (high in the case of the MINI) turned on as soon as the parking brake is released. It is done to increase vehicle visibility.

I love the key operated windows and am considering getting the hold-the-button function switched to this action as well. It means I can open up the car and let it air out before I get in. I guess on cars with window-mounted window switches you can unlock the door and lower the windows from there but I find this feature even more convenient.

BTW, DLR are the initials of David Lee Roth. His CDs are occasionally in my MINI...
    Oh, you're all right, its DRLs. My bad.
    You know, some days I try to put 2 and 2 together and end up with 5. Should have figured that one out on my own. By the way, DRLs also help bring down insurance premiums.

Speaking of music -- anyone still waiting to buy should seriously consider the multi-function steering wheel (standard with premium pkg). With the volume, radio presets and CD controls on the back of the wheel, I can fly through the twisties with both hands on the wheel while searching for that perfect DLR/VH tune with the tips of my fingers (running with the devil, anyone?). Not to mention cruise control and a nice leather-wrapped wheel.
    ...except that it wasn't on the fixed-spec Canadian Launch Edition that I bought. The pre-release test car I drove had the multi function steering wheel and it is the one feature I miss on my car (I don't miss the trip computer or auto climate control). They can be added afterward but are very expensive. Now that I've had my car for 8 weeks I can adjust the volume and other radio controls without looking for them but at first they did take some attention.

The sport package, part of the Launch Editon DOES give me a leather wrapped wheel, shifter and hand-brake boot though, for which I'm glad. The wheel just lacks the buttons.
  • segestasegesta Member Posts: 27
    To get off-topic briefly: GM's desire to make DRLs mandatory is more a business decision than a public-safety one. They make a lot of their passenger cars in Canada, where DRLs are the law. They'd just as soon equip all their cars that way (i.e., those coming the States), and save a little money.

And if all cars have DRLs, then *no one* is more visible, are they? ;-)
    ... primarily because of the sunroof. Could care less about the trip computer and ACC, but we really wanted the sunroof. Cruise and the MFSW have been pleasant additions as well. Got a few of the sport package items a la carte (DSC, 16" rims w/perf. runflats). At first it was going to be both premium and sport, but as soon as I sat on the leather, I conceded the sport pkg for the leather. Would like the sport seats, but I really don't miss the spoiler and foglights. Also, you can't get sport seats with the beige leather (not sure why). Overall, I am glad I build the car the way I did - I feel I got the best of both worlds. Couldn't resist the bonnet stripes either.
    DRLs are not there to stand out in a crowd, they are there for all cars to be more visible. Studies have shown decreases in some types of accidents in places where they are used on all cars. Also, pedestrians see cars more easily so they don't run out into the road; many anti-DRL people say DRLs make pedestrians less visible but it is better to improve the way they see you than the other way around (better for them to be off the road than for you to test your car's brakes).
    I actually asked the mechanic who did the programming about firmware upgrades (not in such technical terms), he stared at me funny, then said they never got any information on engineering stuff before it happened. But aparantly its not uncommon for BMW's to have them available, so maybe one will show up. I tested the key-window down feature, and it doesn't work on my car, only closing windows (and sunroof) with the key works. Odd how there's little differences between the Canadian and US cars.
    Has anyone seen a Velvet Red MINI with white roof and mirror caps? Does it look nice?
  • dacremadacrema Member Posts: 6
    Saw one at the dealer in VA (Mini of Sterling). It looks much better that MINI USA web site would lead you to believe. In the web site the car looks just like a very dark red. In life the paint comes to life. I think it will be a popular color for Va Tec fans.
    Car perfomed well with 4 star rating (Supermini class) but there are some areas of concern. Body structure is solid but there are issues with leg injuries and chest injuries in side impacts. I hope the US MINI versions fare better than the MINI Euro counterparts.

2 things that caught my attention: The side ALPS head restrain system is OPTIONAL in the European market. Also for the child restrain system, ISOFIX is not even mentioned.

Still like the car a lot. Not bad showing for a car this size. Still eagerly awaiting for the NHTSA and IIHS results.

http://www.euroncap.com/results.htm

What are the main differences in terms of safety equipment between North American bound MINIs and European ones?

of the MINI to some other cars, even bigger BMWs and you'll see that it really doesn't look that bad. If you just look at the MINI page it looks like it isn't great but once you compare you'll see that European tests are quite tough (and should be). I sit very far back when I drive my MINI which is a good suggestion when driving small cars.

There are even safety equipment differences between Canada and the USA. In Canada, all Coopers get ASC+T but in USA it is only standard on the S and not even an option on the Cooper -- you must get DSC. All 6 airbags are standard in Canada.
    I think all safety equipment is standard in the US, except DSC which is an option in both the Cooper and Cooper S models.

Yeah, the MINI did very well on comparison to other small cars in the European tests. However the Fiat Punto, VW Lupo and Renault Clio kinda surpassed it as well.

But none of those cars are sold in North America, so moot point at least for us.

The FIA Euro tests are very similar to the IIHS in the United States and more tough than NHTSA's. But the Euro tests also include Child Restraints and pedestrian protection tests.

I think the American tests sorely lack child restrain protection stats per model. A big failure in my opinion.
  • johnny36johnny36 Member Posts: 10
    Agreed, velvet red does look great in the real world (also a color that will age well). I had considered velvet red initially, but opted for BRG. Saw a VR with a black roof at my dealer. Almost sorry I changed my mind. Another great color in the real world, that looks terrible on the website, is the silk green.

Either color would be a great choice, because I bet there won't be a lot of Minis in these colors. Makes a unique car even "uniquer".
    ... and too bad, because I think Silk Green and white looks splendid, and is a nice alternative to the more common colors typically ordered. Having said that, I'd probably opt for BRG and white on a Cooper because that's the classic look I'm after :)
    Yeah, altough we haven't yet seen the Velvet Red Metallic in person, it must be one heck of a beautiful color. Actually we are seriously thinking of ordering a base Cooper in Velvet Red with white roof and mirror caps.

BRG and Silk Green are nice colors as well. Is just that we want to change the tune from green colored cars.

White Pepper, although not a color of choice by us, appears to be nice specially with a black roof combo.

Most of the colors I have seen here are Indy Blue, Chili Red, Yellow, Pure Silver and Dark Silver. People seem to like also the Electric Blue color in the Cooper S.

Yesterday I saw a new Jet Black base Cooper with white roof. Not bad at all. The chrome trim enhances nicely with the black paint. Black cars are a big no no in my parts and add to that the demanding cleaning care, no thanks.

Has anyone ordered a one color Cooper? Perhaps they don't want their "Cooper" to be confused with the Export market Mini ONE model not sold here?

I think the color choices that will make MINIs even more unique are Silk Green, Velvet Red, White Pepper, Jet Black. Those are the "Off the beaten path" colors.

I think a truly unique Cooper will be ordered in one tone color (Silk Green) with cloth seats. Better resale value due to rarity? Time will tell.

I think one has to think about the colors and options when ordering a new MINI. This somehow will ensure further uniqueness due to the very flexible "A la carte" options menu.

Has anyone order the Multifunction steering wheel with cruise control? We are still debating over this one. Is it worth the $350 premium over the standard non-leather covered steering wheel?
    The Mini One model is sold in Europe and elsewhere in the world, excluding the US and Canada.

This model has the same 1.6L "Pentagon" engine but rated at 90HP. It is a pretty basic car (No tach, only very basic levels of equipment) and offers one option package called "MINI ONE SALT".

MINI ONE cars are strictly one paint color and no roof color combos are offered.

According to my calculations, the MINI ONE should start at around $13K to $14K US Dollars.

Basically our "Base" Cooper model is the mid-level model in other overseas markets.

Perhaps due to the production allocation limitations for the US market and BMW's desire to keep the car very exclusive, I see why the MINI ONE did not make it to our shores. Perhaps the MINI ONE might be a bit too spartan for our tastes. Also the MINI is more of a mainstream type of car in Europe and Asia as where as in North America the MINI is more of a cult status commodity.

I still contend that the less junk you add to the MINI's option list at time of purchase, the more enjoyable this car would be. The MINI is meant to be a simply car. To me DVD navigation, Xenon Lights, rain sensing wipers are nice toys but overkill on a car like this. Even the Supercharged engine doesn't appear to be that great in comparison to the base 1.6L engine in the Cooper.

One other thing I really like about the Cooper's engine is the fact that it has a timing chain, not a timing belt. Big plus in my book.
  • rickroverrickrover Member Posts: 601
    The MINI Cooper or S loses it's appeal when you start adding a bunch of options. I saw an S at my local dealer that had most factory options like sport and premium packages, leather plus a bunch of accessories including wheels/ tires that brought the price up to $29k - absolutely not worth it.
    Near $30K and you are talking slightly used 3 Series money. When my local greedhead dealers had one or two used MINIs on their lots with $30K stickers, I laughed out loud (there are no official MINI dealers in my city). People in this country don't remember the original Mini, and the philosophy behind it - it was a car that adhered to the "KISS" principle. I think it is a shame that the marketing gurus have taken the "expensive fashion accessory" approach with the MINI, but I guess they don't feel the car would sell in this truck crazy country otherwise.
    My car just has the sports package (16" wheels, sport seats, leather wheel, fog lamps) and heated seats as options. I much prefer the bigger wheels and the sport seats and the heaters were just part of the spec. Most people who come up ask me if it cost $40000!?!

As I've said before, only thing I'd add today if I did it again would be the multi function steering wheel.
    My MINI is British Racing Green, white roof/mirror caps, white bonnet stripes, and beige leather interior. Came "this close" to getting the velvet red, but my wife talked me into the BRG, which looks FANTASTIC, especially with the white accents and tan interior. I am hoping for the rare value due to the tan interior because all other MINIs have black carpeting and black door insets.

We have the MFSW (premium package) and it is a great option. Some don't like the premium package, but with the dual-pane sunroof and MFSW it's well worth it. I've never had cruise and/or radio controls on the steering wheel before. Now that I do, I may never be able to go back to "normal" controls. The radio contols are on the back of the wheel and in perfect position for the fingertips. Keeps both hands on the wheel and both eyes on the road. And with the leather wrapped wheel, you will want to keep your hands on it as long as possible! I did not like the plasticky feel of the standard wheel. If you don't want the whole premium package, shelling out $350 for the MFSW a la carte is a solid investment.

The only problem with such a unique car is the fact that people have no problem holding up traffic, almost causing accidents, just to ask what the @#$% it is and how much it costs. I must say, however, that more often than not people just point and waive with a smile. I feel like an ambassador of goodwill or something.
    though without the multifunction controls. I agree that the leather wheel is a must. Comes with leather bottomed (chrome topped) shifter knob too. Don't know what it is with the leather & chrome fetish but it looks good.
    Yesterdays paint discussion prompted me to head out to my local (International Autos of Milwaukee) to window shop.

I saw both a Pepper White and a Velvet Red (in fact I think they had every color represented except Silk Green). Both PW and VR cars had black roof/mirrors. I was really surprised how much I liked both colors, especially the PW which is basically a cream color. I'm not sure there is a bad color for this car.

Browsing the cars with their various options (I think they were largely dealer spec cars but I have no way of knowing) was a good reality check for the options that I've been considering. I agree that running the price up too high is a no no, but I am firm on option packs 1 and 3 for both the base and s. Pack one because the sunroof is cool and I absolutely could not have a car without cruise control. Pack 3 because I live in the great white north (relatively speaking) and because its so cheap.

I think that sport seats and 16s are a must as well so I would add package 2 to a base.

For me these cars price out at 20.2 k for base and 22k for s. I think that is still in the acceptable ball park. It does mean no leather or audio upgrades for me but those things aren't as important to me.

The biggest thing that I question is adding package 2 to the s; that is gilding the lily IMNSHO. (BTW, gilding the lily is actually a mixed metaphor that has become embedded in our collective language, more on that in Town Hall/Drama/Shakespeare ;-) ).

I'm also pretty biased against the CVT (sorry drivinisfun), but we all have to make our own choices.

If anyone is interested I could go back and take some pix of the rare colors (and post them here). Let me know.
    There is a very cool female salesperson who posts on MINI2.com under the name "MINIJewel" -- see if you can find out who this is :) She seems like she'd be a good person to work with, as she's motivated enough to follow the discussions on that forum.
    I know we beat this issue pretty much into the ground the other day, but I checked mine out again and found that the key will close the windows and sunroof but it will not open them. Strange, really. I plan to head back to the dealer to have it fixed and perhaps add DRLs.

As for colors for those shopping, the only "absolutely not" color for me was the pepper white. Of course I never saw one in person, only on miniusa.com. Now, however, based on what milwaukeeboy reports, perhaps there are no "absolutely not" colors. And I too am biased against the CVT, especially in a car like this. Don't mean to offend anyone, it would just take all the fun out of driving this car.
    Whoa! That MINI2 site is way too mature for me (LOL).

Actually I think she works in the office. There only seem to be 2 *salespeople* there and both are male. As far as I can tell there aren't any salespeople at all, just guys who take down orders, but that is the luxury of a sellers market.

The only good thing I got from the MINI2 site was this link from the webring:

http://www.russswift.co.uk/Pages/Videos.html.

Watch them all; repeatedly.

Admittedly, there is a strong U.K. bias, but the American presence has grown significantly. LOTS of info, both good and bad, about people's buying and ownership experiences.
This discussion has been closed.