Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mazda Protege5

Comments

• mustang87mustang87 Member Posts: 129
    So what would happen to they yellow pr5 allready made? How long would the paint last? Did they come out with certain washing and cleaning instructions for the yellow ones? Keep us posted Rich...

How many people here are in South Florida?
    Does anybody know of a good pavement, quiet backroad in south florida that wants to challenge a pr5? :)

Dima
  • audia8qaudia8q Member Posts: 3,138
    We have not seen any special yellow paint instructions so far.

Mazda is good about standing behind its product if you have a paint problem...so don't sweat it at this point....but if you have a yellow one on order the wait may be a while.

Rich
  • mdaffronmdaffron Member Posts: 4,421
    I am not at liberty to discuss the details yet, but there will be a FREE GIFT for everyone who attends the second-annual Mid-Atlantic Protege Picnic on Saturday, October 6 in Northern Virginia. This is not a gimmick. The gift is valued between $15 and $20. Those who are coming have been e-mailed about it. (If you didn't get my e-mail, let me know.)

I may be allowed to post exactly what this free gift is later today or tomorrow.

But in order to receive this gift, anyone who hasn't let me know whether they're coming needs to e-mail me NO LATER THAN 8 a.m. EDT tomorrow, THURSDAY, SEPTEMBER 27. (I need a week to make the order and receive the shipment.)

If you want to come, you need to e-mail me NOW at mdaffron@the-rma.org

You can still let us know you're coming after tomorrow, but you won't get the free gift!

OK, that said, no whining if you don't let us know you're coming until later than tomorrow morning!

ZOOM ZOOM ZOOM!
    (Yeah zoomzoomzoom)

Meade
    (You can find me hanging out in the Mazda Protege topic)
  • jstandeferjstandefer Member Posts: 805
    Mazda made a Sunburst Yellow Miata available for the 1992 model year. 1,519 vehicles were produced before the color was halted, again due to paint problems with the yellow. At the time, Mazda claimed the Sunburst Yellow used 3 coats of paint and charged an additional $250 for the color.

Since Mazda is now offering the 2002 Miata in a limited run of Vivid Yellow available on-line only. Since this is the same color offered on the 2002 Pro5 and 2001 MP3, I wonder if the Miata will still be available if there is indeed an adherence problem with the Vivid Yellow paint.
  • swalesswales Member Posts: 29
    Hello Everyone

I was wondering if someone could answer my question regarding cargo space in the P5.

In regards to the rear seats folding down, do they go totally flat (the seat cushions also fold forward like old 626 and focus) or is it only the 60/40 seat backs that fold down?

Thanks
    In the Protege5, there are three ways that the 60/40 seats fold:

1) Fold down the seatbacks onto the rear seat cushions (near flat load surface).
    2) Unlatch and fold forward the rear seat cushions, then fold down the seatbacks (flat load surface, barrier between front seats and load area).
    3) Unlatch, fold forward, and totally remove the rear seat cushions, then fold down the seat backs (flat load surface, maximum length, but no barrier).
  • SporinSporin Member Posts: 1,066
    Yup, jstandefer got them all and it is ridiculously easy to do any of them, even totally removing the seats.
    the tank takes about 15 gallons. why can't i drive untill there only 1 left? what was the point of making a 15 gallon tank then. they could have made it 5 gallons and saved the materials and money as well as make the car lighter.

does anybody else think that the little led light for "fuel low" is cheesy? why didn't they make an
    "icon" with the fuel pump so it would lit up when necessary.
  • sloadersloader Member Posts: 1
    Hello everyone.

I'm a new member who has been lurking here for some time and enjoying reading the discussions on this board. I've had my silver auto P5 for about 2 months now and really like the vehicle but my wife has complained about the rusty wheel hubs (I think that's what they are), which are so easily visible behind the aluminium wheels and detract from their otherwise great appearance.

Is this a common problem and can anyone recommend the best fix? I was thinking perhaps this may be covered by the comprehensive warranty but wanted to check with others before taking it to the dealer for my 6,000 Km oil change coming up next week.

Thanks,

Steve
  • maltbmaltb Member Posts: 3,572
    Steve,
    What you are seeing is the part of the brake rotor that mounts to the hub. I doubt it would be considered a factory defect as this type of thing happens on all cars without painted rotors. I'm sure the dealer would say it's a normal characteristic. What I would suggest is stopping by a parts store and getting some VHT hi-temp spray paint. Remove each wheel, mask off the braking surface of the rotor and give it a coat of paint.

:)
  • swalesswales Member Posts: 29
    jstandefer,

Thanks for the help and the quick response
  • bluong1bluong1 Member Posts: 1,927
    I just want to add that the load surface is not 100% flat, even in configuration 2 & 3 mentioned by Jerry. There is a small step about 2cm-height between the trunk area and the folding backseat.
    What you are seeng is the actual brake DISK that the brake pads clamp to to stop your car. These will get a light coat of rust whenver they sit unused in damp or rainly weather. This rust brushes off the first time you use your brakes but does not effect brake performance.

YOU CANNOT PAINT THIS PART!!!

I think the thing Matt is talking about painting is the brake CALIPER which is the pat that holds the brake PADs whcih clamp your DISKS (got that?).

This part is often red or yellow in high performance cars or cars that pretend to be.
    no, I was referring to the center of the rotor that does rust. Note that I suggested he mask off the braking surface of the rotor before he does any painting.
    aaaahhhhhhh... I see. I knew you weren't talking about painting the rotor, but I was afraid that sloader might be confused about that.
  • birdman_1birdman_1 Member Posts: 14
    One more thing about cargo space: the right front seat slides very far forward, and the seat back tilts very far forward as well. So far, in fact, removing the right passenger side headrest is required for me to see the right side mirror.
  • mazdadude1mazdadude1 Member Posts: 49
    Am I the only one in Protegeland who sits in the driver's seat even when the engine is off? I just went outside and sat in my Protege5 and inhaled the cool surroundings of the interior with my moonroof open. I observed the placement of controls and info readouts that make for thoughtful ergonomics. I have the driver's seat adjusted just right with the steering column tilted perfectly. And the seat back leaned back so that my head rests but allows excellent visibility from the rearview mirrors. And the various textures of metal and black cloth! What a great interior!
  • elec3elec3 Member Posts: 160
    Yup, mine does this. Err...mine did this back in Chicago, here in New Mexico the humidity is so low that nothing rusts. The actual disc part of the rear brakes would rust if I drove the car and then left it parked outside in fog, rain, or otherwise generally humid weather. Simply driving the car a few minutes (and using the brakes) will burn or abrade the rust off the discs and leave them shiny and new looking. I agree it does look like crap but is somewhat of a temporary condition. As for prevention, I don't really know but would guess that you can't :(
    No mazdadude1, you are not the only one. I do it in the mazda and my mustang which is parked for the next few years. Even though i don't have a moonroof (the car came with out it and i did not really want it) i still enjoy sitting in the pr5 with the stereo on and feeling the steering wheel texture as well as the shift knob and the e-brake. Allmost turns me on :)
  • mp5freakmp5freak Member Posts: 51
    Almost? Do ya have an smoke when ya get out? :)

I have to admit though - I do it too sometimes. No sunroof either (couldn't justify the extra money, given the car was a stretch in the first place) but the look of the car from the inside and out is just so invigorating (notice I didn't say sexy....)
  • mazdadude1mazdadude1 Member Posts: 49
    Cool, mustang87 and mp5freak. Glad to know I am in good company. 10pm here and about to hop in my p5 and cruise the downtown scene with a friend. Always fun. later
    Got to take my P5 out on a fun little jaunt to Elephant Butte Lake in southern New Mexico today. This is still a great little car :) Cruise at 80 plus the a/c on was no problem at all. This car handles great and specifically does well on fast lane changes and long sweepers. I got to drive through some very twisty twisties (speed limit 35-40) and the car did well though the steering didn't exactly have a perfect feel for the really twisty short S curve stuff. Too hard to go from steering one direction to the other so quickly (at least at 10 and 2, it was a little easier with hands at 8 and 2). I also managed to get up to 100 a couple times (cause hey - this is New Mexico where long desolate straightaways are more common than people and 100 is only 25 over) and the car handled amazingly well for this high speed. The only difference between 80 and 100 is that at 100 you get a little bit more vibration from the road and the engine, which is obviously reaching its peak). Ride was still smooth and steering was still precise. This car could easily handle being much faster than it is if only it had a more powerful engine. My gas mileage for this trip was around 26 - not excellent but not awful considering I had the a/c on and drove 80-90mph both ways.

PS: 90mph in overdrive puts you at about 4000rpm and a downshift out of overdrive in the 90-100 range puts you almost at redline, not such a good thing. To me this seems proof positive that this engine develops most of its power at high rpm and I was amazed at the acceleration I could still get even above 70mph.
  • raduga750raduga750 Member Posts: 13
    I've been reading messages here for a long time, and they've been helpful. I'm thinking about getting a Protege5 very soon, but I'm a bit worried about the hump in the cargo area when the seats are folded down. Have people found this to be a hassle when loading long objects? (Does anyone know offhand how many inches from the hatchback entry the hump is?)

Also, the dealer has pledged to match any internet price. Do you have any recommendations on web sites that have low prices?

Thanks!
    Funny that you mention the tight S-curve. I drove one last week and had trouble going hard left to hard right. The wheel almost slipped from my grip. I think it's something I could get used to, but it would take some time.
  • samsvocsamsvoc Member Posts: 10
    Does anyone know where I can get wallpaper of the Pro5 for my computer? Thanks.
  • doctor_rdoctor_r Member Posts: 27
    I got a cool one off the canadian web site, a couple shots of a silver one. I have it on both my work and home computers right now. I could send it to ya.
  • protege_fanprotege_fan Member Posts: 2,405
    I would just download a pic of the P5 from the 'net and then set is as the wallpaper. Either that or get a digital pic of yours and make your own personal wallpaper.
  • doctor_rdoctor_r Member Posts: 27
    I got a cool one off the canadian web site, a couple shots of a silver one. I have it on both my work and home computers right now. I could send it to ya.
    If I get some free time in the next week or so I'll get my silver P5 washed up all nice and shiny, snap some digital pics of it at different angles, and Photoshop 'em into some wallpaper. Couldn't hurt :)
  • dolce2dolce2 Member Posts: 6
    Hi all. I'm looking forward to getting a new P5 soon...and I'm just wondering if anyone knows how exactly does the perimeter alarm work on the P5? (i.e. under what situations would the alarm go off?) Is it actually worth getting it? cuz the car I want has the alarm installed. Any comments or insights would be greatly appreciated.
  • samsvocsamsvoc Member Posts: 10
    I just bought a silver P5 yesterday using the Ford Xplan. I was able to get the car for $1100 CAN.under MRSP. The service was most professional. No BS, just straight honest answers. Anyone in the Toronto area should check out Achilles Mazda in Acton. I got the security alarm installed and was told that it has starter disable(need key to start car) shock sensor and monitors if the car was tampered with. Get alarm, get one if you can afford it. They are on the pricey side. I pick up the car this Friday. ZOOM ZOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOM
  • sunbyrnesunbyrne Member Posts: 210
    I'm not sure what you mean by the "hump". If you lift the seat cushions forward, the rear seats lay down very flat. Maybe not quite perfectly flat but nothing I'd qualify as a hump.

I moved a six-foot baker's rack in the back of my Pro5 the weekend before last with no trouble. I had to bungie cord the hatch closed because the rack was just a smidge too long for it to close, but it was very easy to load and unload--no issue with the hump at all.
  • todd_p5todd_p5 Member Posts: 4
    I just wanted to say hi from a new Protege'5 owner. I just got my car a few weeks ago. I was living in England and just moved to Florida. I knew I wanted a P5 before I got here, so I had one within 7 days of moving here :) I really wanted to get a red one with the polished rims, but none of my local dealers had one -- so, one of the dealers in my area (in Fort Walton Beach, Florida) did a dealer search of the South East area and located one for me. They then had the car delivered to them, and now I have my red P5 with polished rims. Man, do I love this car. I am really thrilled with the way it handles. I am really into cars, and have had some really good running cars, including my '93Z28 -- this Mazda handles as good as my Camaro, and that makes it really fun to drive.

Anyway, just wanted to say hi.
  • ashutoshsmashutoshsm Member Posts: 1,007
    Nice review (more like a set of ratings for different features etc).

They do have a lot more cars to compare this to in europe, so it gets only a 3 out of 5 (The Focus ins one of two cars with 5 stars - shocking, and quite a few cars make 4 stars). They don't have the 2l engine, but have a 1.3, 1.5 and 1.8, and a 2.0l diesel.

See

http://www.4car.co.uk

Navigate through Road tests, then Mazda, then 323 hatchback.

I'm envious of all the car choices available across the pond!

• hondaaccessoryhondaaccessory Member Posts: 74
    For all of those that had words of encouragement durring my hunt for a yellow P5 "THANKS!" We just picked ours up tonight!!!!
  • dolce2dolce2 Member Posts: 6
    Has anyone experienced some occassional (in an aperiodic fashion) single-honks when the P5's security alarm is armed? Does anyone know what's triggering the response? Any insights would be much appreciated.
  • protege_fanprotege_fan Member Posts: 2,405
    I know that after pressing the keyless remote's lock button twice, the car beeps. Is this perhaps what you're talking about?
    I press locks all doors, 2nd press sets alarm and honks at you.
    I just took some digital photos of my Protege5 and made a few quick wallpapers. If you all want, if anybody else makes some wallpapers, send them to me and I'll put them on a web page where everyone can go and look through them and download the ones they want.

I made about 3 of them and put them on a web page, so feel free to get 'em if you want 'em.

The web page is:

http://www.p5wallpapers.cjb.net

L8R

I just saw an awesome Pro5 at lunch!! It was modified, but very nicely done. It's white, 5-spd, no moonroof, no luggage rack crossbars installed. It had very nice 17" wheels, 40 series tires, suspension kit, and exhaust. The suspension kit only lowered it by about 1.5"--not slammed, but not a lot of space between the tire and fender. The exhaust system had a decent volume to it (similar to the first Miata) and had a low rumble to it. It's presence was known, but it wasn't annoying at all. The windows had a dark blue tint to it, and the wheels had metallic blue inserts. Very nicely done...
  • tistevetisteve Member Posts: 142
    While I was at our dealer getting the oil changed in our Suzuki XL-7, I stopped to check out the MP5 as I am considering it as a possible next vehicle. (They have several brands at this one dealer)
    They had the usual sticker on there from the manufacturer and an additional one from the dealer. On a red MP5 they had on the dealer sticker an extra $500 for "market adjustment". I guess that's their way of saying its a good selling car and they think they can get more for it. They also had a Yellow one with a $2,995 "limited edition color" add-on!! Yea right!
    Are other dealers adding these ridiculous extras? Is the yellow really a limited color?
    How is the interior drivers space? Is it too cramped? (didn't actually sit in one). We just got rid of a Corolla that I hated driving because the interior was too tight. I'm only 6'1 and don't need huge amounts of room, but that Corolla made me feel like I was 7' tall.
    Thanks for any information.
  • raduga750raduga750 Member Posts: 13
    I got a Protege5 a few days ago, and I see what people mean when they talk about its handling. I have a twisty, hilly route to get to work, and the car corners excellently. I also really like the red instrument illumination at night. The ride is firmer than I expected, but I'm getting used to it.

This seems to be a good time to buy. I got a good deal (below Edmunds TMV) and a low financing rate.
  • vocusvocus Member Posts: 7,777
    I am 6'3 and can't even sit in a Corolla. The seat doesn't go back far enough and I am always hitting something. And that's in the FRONT seat. I have a 2001 Protege ES, which is the same inside basically as the P5 is. There is gobs of room, and I can even fit in the back seat as well.
  • mazdafunmazdafun Member Posts: 2,329
    I don't fit in the back seat of my Pro sedan, but fit fine in the rear of the P5. I fit just fine in the front seat. I don't have a moonroof though. I'm 6', but sit as tall as someone 6'3".

I felt cramped in front seats of other cars of this class, but felt the most comfortable in the Protege and Bug. Sentra, Civic, Corolla, Impreza all felt too small. The Focus had terrible seats and poor controls and instrumentation ergonomics IMHO. Neon was too small and reliability is poor. It, and the Cavalier, have glass that distorts my view of the outside, resulting in some big headaches whenever I got one as a rental. The Bug was too expensive, had poor reliability and isn't practical for someone with a kid. Plus, I'd hate to force any of my friends to sit in the rear of the thing.
  • razorrabbitrazorrabbit Member Posts: 15
    Does anyone have white light leaking through their tachometer and speedometer? I have this problem going at certain speeds. As a result, the display doesn't not look clean.
    I've seen some local dealers (not the Mazda dealer) who do what you said you encountered -- add their own sticker in addition to the factory sticker to run up the price. Personally, I wouldn't buy from such a dealer. I paid below sticker for my red P5, and I know of several others on this board that have paid well below sticker for their cars.

I like what my local Mazda dealer told me about this practice of dealers adding on to the sticker prices -- I told him about an MP3 that I looked at on another dealers lot, but the dealer had added $1,000 because they said the MP3 was a limited edition car. My dealer said, "Yeah, and do you think Mazda didn't know it was limited edition when they put their sticker price on it?" He said they sold 2 MP3s and didn't ask over sticker for either one.
    anyone familair with the alarm from Mazda for the P5? I'm not sure if the one from the factory is different than the dealer option one, but I'm talking about the dealer add on.

Anyone install one? What features does it have?

I also see where there is an optional rearview mirror..?..?

-Trevor
  • tistevetisteve Member Posts: 142
    I appreciate the responses about the interior room. I am used to small imports and don't need a lot room, just enough. The pedals on our Corolla were so close together that my shoe (size 10) wouldn't fit between the brake pedal and engine wall with out hitting the brake pedal, very annoying.
    I thought the extra pricing was BS also. Looks like I should be able to get one with 5spd, moonroof and maybe the ABS for the low 17's?
    I still have a year to go on my Tacoma lease, but am considering something more practical for the commuting that makes up 99% of my driving. I do love my truck, just don't always need it to be a truck.
    I'll keep watching this board to see how you all do with them. Thanks again for the info.
  • glennisfglennisf Member Posts: 13
    I just bought a midnight blue 5 speed P5 with the moonroof and ABS/side airbags options. I'm learning to drive manual with it and so far, it's going quite well.
    I didn't buy the security system option, though. Can anyone recommend a good after market security system?
    I remember seeing something once on the racks howling if the bars are installed incorrectly. (is there an easy way to search these forums?)
    Anyways, the bars have a rounded side and a side with small protrusions on them. The front bar has the smooth side forward and the rear has the other side forward. Which is the correct direction for them?
This discussion has been closed.