Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Jeep Wrangler

Comments

• mcrrtmcrrt Member Posts: 93
    I read somewhere (JP mag, IIRC) that the new Rubicon tires are a 32" BFG Mud Terrain, but with an updated tread pattern that is currently unique to the Rubicon. I would have to imagine that the new tread pattern reflects an updated design that we'll be seeing soon available to the public. ;)
  • jerrymcshane1jerrymcshane1 Member Posts: 195
    32" BFGoodrich MTR Tires
    New industry-exclusive BFGoodrich® Mud tires have more tread blocks with biting edges for foul weather and off-road traction. This 32" wheel/tire set up is standard on the Rubicon 4/2-door models. They look pretty "beefy" to say the least. THANKS for the pics/info erickp. I want to buy a summer machine next spring. A Harley is out of the question for I lost my brother in May when a drunk driver swerved into his lane and hit him head on. He bought the bike a week prior after finishing his 2 year stint with the Peace Corp. Would not wish that scene on anybody.
  • mac24mac24 Member Posts: 3,910
    I read somewhere (JP mag, IIRC) that the new Rubicon tires are a 32" BFG Mud Terrain, but with an updated tread pattern that is currently unique to the Rubicon.

Which would explain why only 17" wheels are available.

Guess the Saharas are running Bridgestone Dueler AT's

Good pics erickpl. The Rubicon's tires certainly aren't an MT/R pattern, in fact it looks very much like a standard BFG MT. If the Duelers on the Sahara are on 18s I'm afraid I don't like the look. To me a low profile tire on an offroader just looks weird, and of course the sidewall won't flex too well either.
  • 4rider4rider Member Posts: 96
    From a off-road perspetive, tires, with taller sidewalls(hence smaller rims), when aired down provide better grips and cushion than those of lower profiled tires on larger rims. The smaller rim,is also less likely to get damaged when side slipping is unavoidable.

The inherent conflicting appealing points for street vs off-road is understandable. However, making a wrangler more appleaing to street performance or look just doesnt make sense. There are enough crossovers can do the trick. Why tarnish Wrangler's off-road heritage.
    Like Paul points out, the cost and selection of the mud or a/t tires on lager rims are big issues too.
  • wheelsdownwheelsdown Member Posts: 250
    Is anyone else having problems with logging on. I have to log in every visit even after I check "Remember Me".

Hosts?

Terry
  • saharagalsaharagal Member Posts: 88
    Hi Tom,

I'm so very sorry to hear about Gill. I hope his family is doing okay. What a shock to read through the posts and see that. So sad.

Sorry I've been such a stranger around here. I've looked around from time to time - here and Gill's place. I still have my white Sahara. I'm seriously considering getting the 4 door one now. I'm bummed they don't have a white Sahara in 4 doors.

I hope you're doing alright! How's the family?

Saharagal (Laura)
  • mtngalmtngal Member Posts: 1,911
    The one thing I've always loved about the Wrangler is that it is so customizable. How many of us have bought a Wrangler and promptly replaced the OEM tires and/or rims (all right, I drove on the OEM tires until they needed to be replaced)? So it would make sense to offer OEM tires that middle of the road, and like those that need Muds, someone going for looks can buy their own 18s and have a real custom look.

As long as our little vehicles are so versatile that it is easy to make changes, I'm happy.
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    That's a problem a few people are experiencing and we're working on it! Take a look at this discussion KarenS, "Forums Software! Your Questions Answered..." #3083, 5 Oct 2006 8:11 am in Forums Software! Your Questions Answered....

tidester, host
  • Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
    A reporter seeks longtime loyal Dodge-Chrysler-Jeep buyers who want the company to build a subcompact model or two. Please reply to jfallon@edmunds.com no later than Friday, October 20, 2006 with a few relevant comments and your daytime contact info.
  • lagenomailagenomai Member Posts: 5
    I've always wanted a jeep as a second vehicle and recently reached a verbal agreement on a '98 Wrangler Sport, I6, manual transmission. The agreed price is $3800 usd (my allowance was $6k), however this particular jeep already has over 225,000 miles on it. I'm buying from the original owner (friend of a friend), mostly highway miles, and this guy kept meticulous maintenance records (notes and receipts all in a book which I will inherit). I had a mechanically inclined relative take a look at it and he said everything looks and sounds good except for an antifreeze leak which probably means the water pump needs to be replaced (STS receipt shows that some maintenance was done on the radiator [or something] and some hoses were replaced about 17k miles ago). I'm happy with everything about the jeep except for the mileage...

I don't know much of anything about cars...this deal is not final - am I crazy to go through with it? Opinions would be much appreciated! Thanks in advance!
  • erickplerickpl Member Posts: 2,735
    The water pump, radiator, thermostat, and hoses are all items you could easily replace yourself.

I'm not mechanically inclined, but I've swapped that stuff (cept the pump) myself without too much problem.

225k sounds a bit high IMO, but the 4.0 is a good solid engine good for a lot of use. If everything has been maintained well, and you have proof that was actually done, then it probably wouldn't be a problem. Would you be using this as a daily driver or for offroading?

-Paul
    I think the mileage would be more of a factor if its service history was unknown. Any eight year old vehicle will require attention from time to time, regardless of the mileage. If you're going to buy an older model TJ, then in my opinion a high mileage example with a good service history is a better bet than a lower mileage model of unknown provenance.
    Thanks Paul and mac24 for the replies...as of now I'm still planning to go through with the deal... I plan to put about 10,000 miles/year on the jeep - no off roading, something to get me to work when it snows and to the beach on summer weekends (I'm a little late on the latter).

Mac - you make a good point about the high miles/known history vs. low miles/no history...

I would love to be able to replace the water pump and such on my own, but I certainly don't trust myself. The boyfriend doesn't like to admit when he doesn't know something so I'm a little hesitant to have him work on my motor-powered toys...I do have that mechanically inclined cousin, but he's got a lot on his plate right now so I don't want to burden him with my repairs...going to call STS tonight to get an estimate on a water pump replacement. Then I might invest in "Auto Repair for Dummies"...!

Thanks again!
    BONUS! I just got notified that the guy I'm buying the jeep from noticed some antifreeze on his driveway so he took it to STS. Turned out to be a loose hose. Problem should be resolved.

It makes me feel quite a bit better that, even knowing the car was pretty much sold, he cared enough to have the problem looked into.
  • tsjaytsjay Member Posts: 4,591
    Laura:

It's great to hear from you! It has been AGES!

I'm doing OK, but still missing my Ross Allen Puppy awfully bad. I guess you had heard that I lost him? That was a little over a year ago.

Yes, it was quite a blow to lose Old Giller. He and I were very good friends. We just seemed to have been meant to be buddies, because we immediately hit it off and had become good friends over the Internet and through phone conversations before even meeting one another in person.

Stick around, Kiddo.

Tom
    Have you hugged your Jeep today?
    A question on driver line issue associated with a 4-inch lift together with lowering transfer case. Assuming the lowered transfer case does not produce any noticible vibe in the drive shaft. Will this setup still develope a drive shaft related problem over time? i.e. Can this setup be a permanent solution?
  • tsjaytsjay Member Posts: 4,591
    I have never heard of a problem because of running a with a lowered transfer case, assuming the driveline angle was actually corrected by the transfer case drop.

The transfer case drop takes away some of the clearance gained by the lift, and, in my opinion, they don't look very good either.

The alternative is a slip yoke eliminator kit and a new driveshaft. The new driveshaft will have splines and will be able to get longer and shorter, which will mean the slip yoke is no longer necessary.

The driveline length from the output of the transfer case to the rear differential's pinion yoke has to be able to get longer or shorter as the rear axle goes up and down when the vehicle's suspension is flexed. The same is true of the front driveline, of course.

This lengthening and shortening is accomodated by the slip yoke at the back of the transfer case. The slip yoke makes the effective length of the transfer case greater, reducing the distance between the transfer case and the pinion yoke.

The shorter the horizontal distance between these fixed points, the more the angle is changed when the transfer case is raised because of a suspension lift. So, a slip yoke eliminator makes for a greater length between the fixed points and brings the angle back closer to the original angle.

Tom
    Have you hugged your Jeep today?
    Thank to Tom for such detailed info. No question that SYE and CV drive shaft is the true solution. The only cole reality is it cost fair amont of $$$. Wodering why Jeep does not build it with SYN and CV from the factory to begin with?

Another related quetion is that since the lift afftects both front and rear drive shafts, does this mean the front drive shaft needs the similar SYE modification also??
    Wodering why Jeep does not build it with SYN and CV from the factory to begin with?

Hmmm........what could the answer be? :shades:

It should also be noted that the replacement propeller shaft has two adjacent 'u' joints (just like on the front shaft) which comprise a cardan joint, not a CV (constant velocity) joint.

Another related quetion is that since the lift afftects both front and rear drive shafts, does this mean the front drive shaft needs the similar SYE modification also??

No, the front prop shaft is much long than the rear, so the angular change is much less than on the rear when the suspension is lifted. It's the fact that the rear shaft is so short that causes the problems when doing a lift.
  • jerrymcshane1jerrymcshane1 Member Posts: 195
    So far, thru last week, there have been 4314 07' Wranglers built. 734 last week, 1678 this month. I don't know what the "normal" output is expected to be.
  • hypehype Member Posts: 16
    Help-I want to drain & flush the coolant myself and I cannot locate the engine block drain plug to drain the coolant from the engine block? Is the block drain plug obstructed from top side view of engine? Can someone provide me with a clear path to it-thanks!!!
    It's a threaded plug with a square recessed socket. You have to access it from below as the exhaust manifold shields it from above. You don't have to jack the vehicle up, just roll under the rear of the drivers side front wheel and look up. Make sure the Jeep is cold before you put your hands up there! ;)
  • hypehype Member Posts: 16
    mac24:
    thanks so much-that gives me something to go on!
    I should be able to locate it now.
    From what you described-the block drain plug sounds like it is towards the rear of the block-that is-away from the grille/front of the Jeep?
    Correct, it's at the transmission end of the block and low down, closer to the oil pan than the head.
    Hi, everyone. As you've probably noticed, we have been trying to refine the discussions into more narrowly focussed topics. Our objective is twofold. We want to make it easier for people seeking specific information about their vehicles to find it easily and without having to wade through hundreds or thousands of postings.

To those ends, we will be shutting down the general make/model discussions and work exclusively with specific issues. This requires us to populate the make/model subsections with relevant, interesting and timely topics. Rather than having the hosts simply create boilerplate topics for each make/model, we feel that you, the owner, the make/model enthusiast and the prospective buyer can best judge what those topics should be.

You can help by adding a discussion (it's easy!) or suggesting one here.

To add a discussion, click on the last link in the "You are here" line at the top of this page. That will take you to the topic page for this make/model. Review the list of topics and click on the "Add discussion" link when you've decided what topic you'd like to add. Follow the directions and you're done! Feel free to add more than one. Just avoid duplicating existing topics and try not to make it TOO specific!

Your help and continued participation in the Forums is greatly appreciated! Thanks.
    To those ends, we will be shutting down the general make/model discussions and work exclusively with specific issues.

So which forum will I need to hear from mtngal about the Jeep trails that are closed because of the current fires? Or from tsjay about the offroading at Turkey Bay? Or from erickpl about the many repairs he's making after his Wrangler tripped over? Where would I post to let anyone who's interested know about the great deal and service I got when I purchased a recovery strap last week?

I can understand the logic in having two Wrangler forums, one for problems and another for general discussion, but to lose the general discussion and to split the 'problem' forum into 101 separate narrowly focused threads seems to me, to put it politely, counter productive.

One of the things we have here is a sense of community, which will disappear if this general 'Jeep Wrangler' forum is closed.

I will be sorry to lose track of you all.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Oh, I don't think it'll get quite that specialized -- the feeling is that more new (and those lurking) Jeepers will want to post. Discussions this big (20,000 + posts!) tend to discourage participation and make it harder to find info.
  • believebelieve Member Posts: 74
    Hi everyone!!
    It's been a while I know...I was getting ready to do the
    same with my jeep (change the antifreeze)...I didn't know
    you could do the block on this....I was thinking I would
    have to keep flushing it until it was clean....is there
    anything that I need to do as far as just retightening
    the bolt when done or do I have to use a compound?
    Anyway....thanks for that info!!!
    Lew
    It's hard to flush properly without removing the plug as it's at the lowest point of the block's water gallery. You do need to use a sealant, either a compound or ptfe tape (I prefer tape). As well as sealing the plug, it'll make it easier to remove next time.
    Oh, I don't think it'll get quite that specialized --

With all due respect Steve, that doesn't address my question.

When this forum is closed, where will we go to post non-specific Wrangler related items, i.e. general Jeep chit chat?

Is it the intent for this to become just a Q&A site?
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    There'll be the usual Meet the Members type discussions around - of course, for Jeepers, we have Jeep Wrangler Owners: *Wave* & Meet. :shades:

The intent is to make it easier to navigate, not harder. Tracking the Wrangler group should let you find all the threads you want to see without too much pain, and let you find all the, say, lift ideas, without having to skip up and down through all the other posts about CBs, soft-tops, Turkey Bay, etc.
  • skyking49skyking49 Member Posts: 112
    I recently was blessed with a grand-daughter. I want to know if most of the car seats on the market will fit in the back seat of my 06 Wrangler X or do I have to have a specific type?
    TIA
  • mr_anton89mr_anton89 Member Posts: 72
    I'm considering an 07 Wrangler and I am not sure whether or not to go with a hard or soft top. I live in Northeast Ohio with snowy cold winters so I was thinking that a hard top would be beter for the cold, but the convenience of a soft top is a plus. Any advice?
  • erickplerickpl Member Posts: 2,735
    Get the dual top option and have both.

-Paul
  • brazucabrazuca Member Posts: 95
    Hi. We recently purchased a '97 Wrangler as an extra car for some fun...and we never expected to be using the Jeep all weekends, my son (2 1/2 Years old) only wants to go out in the Jeep. We have a Britax Marathon car seat which is one of the biggest in the market and it fits nicely. I would like to suggest the Britax brand, you will pay more, but the safety and quality are amazing. You should not have problems in fitting a car seat. Kids and babies really have fun with a Jeep Wrangler. ;)
  • brazucabrazuca Member Posts: 95
    I'm really afraid we will loose track of the people and the interesting discussions we have here. When I'm looking for a topic, I just type Jeep Wrangler and find these discussions and experiences shared here. Why change what's working so nicely ? If it is not broke, don't fix it.
  • div2div2 Member Posts: 2,580
    First off, the following comments are NOT-repeat-NOT, aimed at you or Steve. That said, there are a couple of other hosts who seem hell-bent on discouraging the participation of the "old guard" members. This current "realignment" of topics appears to be designed to further that goal. It seems to me that new participants should simply learn how to use the search functions if they want answers to specific questions. If I want a one marque message board that offers hundreds of threads on a multitude of topics I've got dozens of other options. Town Hall/Carspace should keep its unique flavor.
  • xthecatxthecat Member Posts: 30
    Is there any differance in Handling or gas mileage between the two?
    Wheel size has little to do with handling or gas mileage, it's the diameter of the tire that's important. If a manufacturer offers a significantly larger tire as an option, they usually compensate for the increased tire diameter by changing the final drive ration as well.
    I'm really afraid we will loose track of the people and the interesting discussions we have here.

Gosh, I hope that doesn't happen! Someone suggested a "Meet the Members" style topic. :)

tidester, host
    ... participation of the "old guard" members.

Hey, we need you guys and gals!!

tidester, host
    I guess we'll see. How long do we have before this topic becomes "Read Only"?
    Some general topics in some areas have already been closed but I wanted our members to have time (days? weeks??) to make suggestions and set up topics for themselves.

tidester, host
  • believebelieve Member Posts: 74
    Question////I have both factory tops....Can I install the hard top over the soft top?.....(of course the soft top would be
    in the down position...thanks!!
  • xthecatxthecat Member Posts: 30
    I thought that an 18 inch wheel (sitting higher?) may affect the roadhandling a bit. But than again, as you mention little to no differance, street / highway driving that is.
  • fairviewfairview Member Posts: 20
    While I don't post much, I really enjoy reading the posts. I go on a couple of other forums that are organized by topic like you are talking about, and they are harder to follow what people are talking about and doing. As long as there is a good search feature, it is easy to find a specific topic. Please keep this the way it is.
  • koolbreeze2koolbreeze2 Member Posts: 252
    I agree with div2 and Mac. I read this board daily though I only post occasionally. I read it because of its "community" flavor, humor, variety, genuine people, and valuable information. If I need info I simply use the search option. The flavor is very unique-lets keep it that way. If something works, (and this works) why change it. Go Easy, John
  • ocean_shipperocean_shipper Member Posts: 70
    "... Town Hall/Carspace should keep its unique flavor."

Not to beat a dead horse to death, I too am a daily reader of this forum and have only posted rarely. However, when I did, I found that I could get answers to the questions I asked very quickly. I haven't had the same luck in other forums at other websites.

More to the point, much of the reading that I have done has inspired me to inquire about other topics that I got directly from this 'open' forum.

Let's not fix what isn't broken!
  • dnashdnash Member Posts: 35
    I am already checking 4-5 threads a day. Any more would quickly drive me away. I am interested in most of the discussions pertaining to the Wrangler, but I don't have the time to look through too many threads. It will definitely disconnect the "community".