Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Mazda Protege5

Comments

• Options
    bluong1bluong1 Member Posts: 1,927
    you guys want to tint the sunroof? Is the main function let the sun ray pass through?
  • Options
    Yes, I think the gear box can be hard when it's cool, since the transmission oil is more viscous. However the temperature here in Houston is around low 40s, and my P5 still shift all right.

Bruno
  • Options
    phoenixmp5phoenixmp5 Member Posts: 60
    Speaker Rattle: My car did the same thing after I changed the factory speakers. Upon removing the factory speakers, I noticed a thin sponge collar around the speaker, which pushed up against the panel when it was in place. As an experiment, I loosened the bottom few snaps on the door panel and squeezed in a very soft sponge between the door and panel and the rattle stopped. This is a good way to find out if the panel is causing the rattling.

Moon roof tint: Here in Arizona, I couldn't get any tint shop to tint the moon roof! Every shop told me that the moon roof glass is different than the other windows and the tint would hold in the heat, causing it to break!

I had a CRX with and after market moon roof (without cover option) that I had tinted limo, to cut down on the BBQ effect and had no problems with it breaking. However, after market glass had plenty of room to expand, as it wouldn't sit flush with the roofline.

Difficult Shifts: My CRX was very tough to get into gear in cold weather (I haven't always lived in Arizona). I talked to my dealer and they put in lighter weight oil in the gearbox, which solved the problem. In the summer time, I noticed no adverse effects from the change and drove the car till it had 96,000 miles on it without a problem. I don't know if this is a possibility for the Mazda, but may be worth an inquiry.
  • Options
    mp5freakmp5freak Member Posts: 51
    Thanks for your take on the rattle! So you are saying that the rattle had nothing to do with the speaker, but was rather the door panel banging against the door? Sorry if I'm reading that wrong. Thanks for the info!
  • Options
    shriqueshrique Member Posts: 338
    Most of the time I enjoy having the full sunlight coming through but at some times during the afternoon the angle is just right that it came right in over my sunglases which of course made me close the shade. I like have the shade open and would prefer it in the dead of winter but I don't want to have to wear a hat inside my car.

Most of the cars that I've owned have had a metal mesh kinda like a microwave door instead of a tint. That's why I was wondering if it could be done.
  • Options
    Thanks for your take on the rattle! So you are saying that the rattle had nothing to do with the speaker, but was rather the door panel banging against the door? Sorry if I'm reading that wrong. Thanks for the info!
  • Options
    mnkyboymnkyboy Member Posts: 108
    In your previous post, you mention that tinting the moonroof is a must in Louisiana. I live in New Orleans, and Ive been thinking about getting my car tinted. I have a Vivid Yellow Protege 5. Do you know any good shops around the New Orleans area that does tinting? Also, why is is a "must" for the moonroof to be tinted?
  • Options
    I noticed today that when I shifted into second gear, it was pretty rough. It felt sort of like I was breaking ice :). Today is the first time that its been below 30 degrees in New Orleans this year. I think the cold is doing this, so im not worried.

Anyone else have this problem, or know why this happens?
  • Options
  • Options
    vocusvocus Member Posts: 7,777
    There should be no reason why they would not tint the sunroof. I had a 2001 Protege ES with the sunroof (black with blsck interior) and I had the roof tinted to cut down on heat. The shop charged me an extra $30 to do it (I think it was somewhere around there) and never had any problems. My tint band on the top of the windshield, however, did peel off a little.
  • Options
    revkarevka Member Posts: 1,750
    Hi Folks- For additional feedback, you may also want to copy/paste your vehicle problems/annoyances in our Mazda Protege5 Problems & Solutions discussion. Also, while you're there, look for a direct link to Edmunds' Maintenance Guide where you can look up Manufacturer Recommended Service Schedules, Recalls, and TSBs (technical service bulletins). Good luck in finding a solution.

Revka
    Host
    Hatchbacks / Station Wagons / Women's Auto Center Boards
  • Options
    The entire gear system is inside an oil fluid (not the same than the engine oil), and designed to work optimally at a specific oil viscosity. Usually the viscosity is reached when oil is warm up (by friction and heat transfer from the engine). The oil viscosity decreases with temperature. That means that, when it's cold, the oil is more viscous, or thicker. That's why the shifting is more difficult. If it becomes problematic, you can change the transmission fluid with lighter oil as phoenixmp5 suggested.
  • Options
    elec3elec3 Member Posts: 160
    I had an aftermarket sunroof installed into my Pro5. The dealer did it for me because he sold the black Pro5 I wanted and I had to settle for a silver one he got in that had everything but the roof. He agreed to get an aftermarket one put in for the same as the list option for a factory roof. IMHO this is really the way to do it as the sunroof I ended up getting is very high quality - the shop the dealer chose works mostly on BMW and Mercedes. My roof has 3 "preset" buttons, one for vent, one for full open, and one for close as well as arrow buttons to open it partially. It also has a deep tint to it which is a necessity in southern New Mexico. If I really want sunshine I just open the roof, but I can't imagine having a sunroof that is not tinted. I really wish I could tint the rest of my car but at the moment there are two things stopping me - the first is that I don't have the money and the second is that my car's registration is Illinois which has some very strict tint regulations.
  • Options
    vocusvocus Member Posts: 7,777
    I had my black Protege tinted at Maryland legal limits (35% light, all windows) and it still cooled the interior considerably. I know a friend who had her windows tinted dark, and didn't care about the laws here in Md. She was pulled over, and the cops stripped her tint right there on the spot! Boy, was she mad!
  • Options
    ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    Police feel safer when they can see inside, for obvious reasons. If you have tint, open the windows and make sure your hands are where they can see them.

-juice
  • Options
    You state that "this is really the way to go". Do you mean that people should not get a moonroof as an option, then get an aftermarket? I would have to disagree. Aftermarket sunroofs have far more problems than factory installed.

I just want to clarify this, so someone wont take a aftermarket over a factory installed.

In your case, yes, its better to get the dealer to do it, rather than someone like Pep Boys. As for the controls of the factory moonroof, the factory has (2) buttons, one to tilt, the other to open/close. The factory "moon" roof is not a "sun" roof. A sunroof doesnt have glass, a moonroof does. My Toyota Cressida had a sunroof, and it was just the roof panel sliding, rather than a piece of glass.
  • Options
    audia8qaudia8q Member Posts: 3,138
    We use the same feature brand after-market moonroof you mentioned. Not only have we had it installed in P5's but Tributes also. IMHO the aftermarket roof is nicer than the factory model.
    Rich
  • Options
    phoenixmp5phoenixmp5 Member Posts: 60
    Yes, the rattle in my car was caused by the door panel, NOT the speaker.
  • Options
    newcar31newcar31 Member Posts: 3,711
    I use mobil 1 synthetic transmission oil. It seems to help smooth shifting in the winter.
  • Options
    I've owned two aftermarket moonroofs, and several friends have had them too. None ever leaked or had any problem whatsoever. The aftermarket has come a long, long way.

I bet the same folks that supply Mazda also supply the aftermarket (ASC in my case), so in many cases we're talking about the same product.

-juice
  • Options
    Just wondering whether everyone goes to their dealer to get their regular maintenance done. After the warranty expires I likely wont visit my dealer much, except for the odd repair. The reason I ask is because I want to move to synthetic oil for my Pro5, and would prefer to go to the mechanic of my choice to get all of my regular maintenance done. Of course, I don't want to have a problem in 2 years and have Mazda claim that its because I didn't go to Mazda for service. Any thoughts? Thanks...
  • Options
    They can't legally make that claim. As long as you follow their scheduled maintenance, you're ok. Keep good records, including receipts.

We have two Mazdas, and honestly? Mazda parts are so overpriced it's ridiculous. An O2 sensor was $220 at one dealer, and I later found an aftermarket equivalent for $70. A new gas cap for my Miata was something like $28, while most cost $5 (could not find one that fit the Miata, though). Next time I'll shop on-line, Perma-cap models sell for $10.

But basically their markup is about 200%, it seems. A lady in line in front of me paid more than $8 for a lousy oil filter. Hard to find one that costs more than $4-5.

By all means, find a better source.

-juice
  • Options
    hurler4hurler4 Member Posts: 104
    newcar31, is it ok to use Mobil 1 for transmission fluid in the P5? I change my own transmission fluid (I have an Altima, but am thinking of getting the P5), and cannot use Mobil 1 becauise it is an API Service GL-5 lubricant. My Altima can only take a GL-4. Is the Maxda GL-5 compatible?
  • Options
    I think so. My Miata and my 626 have been fine with Mobil 1 gear oil 75w90, which indeed is GL5. That's what both call for, actually.

-juice
  • Options
    absolutely. ateixeria is right, they use GL5.
  • Options
    In *principle*, you could do the regular maintenance anywhere, just keep the receipts in case you need to prove it. In practice, I have heard some stories which show the contrary! Personally, I brought my P5 to my local Mazda dealer for regular maintenance. On the side note, for my previous car, a Civic, the Honda dealer accepted I bring my own oil. I never try this tactic with Mazda though.

Bruno
  • Options
    I do all of the regular maintenance myself. If I do an oil change, I staple the dated receipt for the motorcraft filter to the dated receipt for the Mobil 1 and write the mileage down on the receipt. The dealer cannot deny warranty service if you keep records. Besides, if you do it yourself, you know it was done right and you shouldn't have a problem. On top of that, oil related failures are very, very rare if the oil changes were performed regularly and correctly.
  • Options
    I usually change the oil in my car, but after reading the Owners Manual for the Protege 5, it states that the car must not be on a incline when changing oil. I usally ride the front right tire onto a ramp, then change the oil. What do you use to raise the car with? Is it necessary to jack the car up on all fours, and put stands underneath?

I never even looked under the car to see where the drain plug is. If I do the ramp thing, will all of the oil drain out? One of my old cars had the drain plug in such a way that the oil wouldnt fully drain unless you had the car completely level.

Any info or tips?
  • Options
    Thanks for all of your comments. Actually, I was really thinking more of the other maintenance items other than the oil change. I haven't been to Mazda yet for a simple oil change. The other stuff, like the 24,000km (or equivilent) suggested maintenance has many more checks and what I would consider minor, yet likely important, items. I worry that if I don't get those things done at Mazda, or if a separate mechanic doesn't do *every* single thing on Mazdas maintenance list then I could get denied a warranty claim. Any thoughts?

Hmm - I drive the car so damn much that my warranty will be up in 2 years anyway, so maybe I shouldn't worry so much :)
  • Options
    I don't know about that, I've always been able to change my oil on a level surface at my old job (Jiffy Lube). I've never had to jack it up to change the oil, but I can't see why you shouldn't. From the looks of the oil pan and the fact that the plug is on the back, it seems you would get more oil out by having the front end in the air. The owner's manual also says that you need a "special tool" for the oil filter so you should have the dealer do it....Yeah right!!!

Other maintenance is the same thing. The only tangible things Mazda will do is: Change radiator fluid, air filter, transmission fluid, spark plugs, fuel filter, lube all hinges, etc. With the exception of the fuel filter, most people could do all of that themselves and as long as you document the work you should be OK. Thats what I plan on doing because the dealer charges ridiculous prices for these services and "inspections".
  • Options
    SporinSporin Member Posts: 1,066
    Since the oil drain plug is at the bottom, back of the pan, having it up on ramps should be even more effective then having it flat.

You DO NOT need a special tool to remove the oil filter.
  • Options
    My tip: I use ramps, but my driveway is on an incline, so I drive down the ramp, making the car level again.

Find a nice incline, at about the angle of your ramps.

-juice
  • Options
    Thanks for your thoughts. I actually don't plan on doing any of this myself. I live in an apartment, and really have nowhere to do car maintenance. But I would plan to have a separate, and more reasonably priced mechanic do everything. So I guess I should be okay, as long as I get full documentation on what they did. I guess I could just take my Mazda maintanence booklet and go to my mechanic and tell him to do everything on the list....
  • Options
    How is your exhaust looks like? Mine is a little bit dark on the bottom. I wonder if I have to make them check the injection and ignition during my next visit of Mazda dealer.

Bruno
  • Options
    cappykcappyk Member Posts: 10
    Has anyone replaced their stock mirror with the Mazda accessory? If so, where does the mirror tap into the electrical system? The map lights?

Where is the temperature sensor? Outside the car I assume...but where? I really don't wish to get into a wiring nightmare.

Thanks,

Cappy
  • Options
    mazdadude1mazdadude1 Member Posts: 49
    While interior sections got "dumped on" we just got a light "dusting" of snow here on the southeastern coast of NC. And my p5 did just fine in its first snow! lol Always cool to see palm trees, spanish moss and snow together... surreal. later
  • Options
    mustang87mustang87 Member Posts: 129
    Because i am originally from ukraine :)
  • Options
    mustang87mustang87 Member Posts: 129
    Mine is the same way and I thought it was only dirt.
  • Options
    boopoppaboopoppa Member Posts: 48
    I had a great driving experience today on my way back down to school. There was fairly moderate traffic on the highway, and I spotted an mp3. what a beauty. I was definitely jealous of the nice exhaust and the red roll bar that was slightly visible under the car. can't wait to get those put on my mp5. anyways...i drove up next to my fellow zoomer, gave him a thumbs up, moved up to let him admire my car...both blue beauties....and for the next forty minutes drafted off each other as we zoom zoomed down the freeway. I'm sure it was a great site to see mp3 and mp5 together. I was smiling the whole way.

ciao bisous!
    boopoppa

PS: i too have black smudginess on the bottom part of exhuast tip. i figure it's just exhaust grime and heat stain.
  • Options
    Nice! I might as well share an "experience" as well. I bought my blue P5 back in July - been great. I am often parked on my girlfriends street during the evenings and weekends, so I notice the cars parked at houses on her street. Shortly after I bought my P5, a blue MP3 showed up in the driveway of a house a few doors down. Very nice - the guy loves it and is totally paranoid about keeping looking brand new! Then about a month later, a red P5 showed up in front of the house next door to the MP3! Now, just last month my girlfriends brother just bought a 2002 Protege LX, and its always parked in the driveway or on the street. Funny how one small street can all of a sudden be overcome with all three flavours of the Protege, in less than 6 months :)
  • Options
    ppk_ppkppk_ppk Member Posts: 19
    hi guyz...

I got my Pro5 y'day... Itz a silver auto with ABS , polished alloy wheels and moon roof. im excited :-)... Just took it out for a small ride y'day... Felt very good... I got it for a little less than the invoice price... I need to mention here that this is my first car!!!

I did not go for the factory casette player. I felt it was quite costly and I also read in this forum that the audio system itself is not of very good wuality. I wud need a cassette player/better audio system. Any suggestions? I found the quality of the audio system to be "ok", but am OK to change for a better one.

Another thing I would definitely need is the alarm system. The salesman told me that the factory fitted alarm system (if the car came with one) was very sensitive and at times, would go off even if there is a heavy wind. I think he was just trying to sell me the car without alarm!!! He suggested I go in for the COBRA alarm system. Can you please pour in your suggestions on what alarm system is good for the Pro5? I am planning to go hunting for it this weekend. So any inputs b4 that would be appreciated.

Thanks guyz. Catch you all later... - ppk.
  • Options
    Thanks for sharing the story. Be careful, don't make yourself too visible to the cops...

Talking about mp3 and mp5, I read recently an auto magazine (sorry, I can't remember which). They tested about 20 new 2002 models, including both of these beauties. Guess what, the mp5 beats the mp3 in slalom! I can't believe it. That proves only that the mp3 driver is not that good. But it also shows that the mp3 is not distance that much the P5 in term of handling.

re-bisous, ;-)

Bruno
  • Options
    dsm6dsm6 Member Posts: 813
    Bruno - If you can dig the article up, I'd be interested in knowing in which magazine this article appeared. I'd like to read it. Thanks.
  • Options
    Ahem...! I suspected such request might pop up and I was right. OK, I'll try to dig the article out.

Later then, Bruno
  • Options
    bblachabblacha Member Posts: 160
    Edmunds says that the Protege5 is not made in Japan like the sedan, but in St. Louis, which my research suggests is a Ford plant that used to make Explorers and Aerostars.

Do you notice any differences in build quality and reliability between these two models?

Is my research right - is it really the old Explorer/Aerostar plant, or did they build a new Mazda plant?

Any info would be appreciated. The Protege5 seems like a blast of a toy car, but I obsess about vehicle quality.

--Bart
  • Options
    SporinSporin Member Posts: 1,066
    Edmunds is wrong. The Pro5 is built in Japan of 95% Japanese parts.
  • Options
    bblachabblacha Member Posts: 160
    I appreciate this info. Mind if I ask how credible your source is?

--Bart
  • Options
    toivotoivo Member Posts: 12
    My Protege 5 window sticker said that the car was built in Hiroshima, and was 95% or 98% of Japanese origin. Maybe they've moved production since, but at least last fall all the cars in my local dealership were made in Japan.
  • Options
    boopoppaboopoppa Member Posts: 48
    yea..i read that pro5 is almost all japan made, not sure where.
  • Options
    tincup47tincup47 Member Posts: 1,508
    If it starts with a J, it was built in Japan, U.S. built vehicles will start with a 1. The first three digits of the VIN are the world assembly identifier and have to indicate country of origin by Federal Law. Although most info on Edmunds is accurate, they are not 100% by any means.
This discussion has been closed.