Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mazda Protege5

Comments

• tetonmantetonman Member Posts: 73
    Looking to test drive the p5 and the cooper mini (again) on saturday to compare them. Pugi is close to where I live in IL, so I am glad for the recommendation.

My notes on Monday for those who are interested...

Tetonman
  • maltbmaltb Member Posts: 3,572
    congrats on your P5. Nobody would expect a gender change out of you, but is a name change in the works? Enjoy your Pro!
  • meinradmeinrad Member Posts: 820
    has me counting up 8 silver to take a commanding lead.....
  • mdaffronmdaffron Member Posts: 4,421
    Our new Protege5 belongs to my wife Tammy, so add her to your female-owner tally.

Meade
  • bluong1bluong1 Member Posts: 1,927
    Male, 36, single, Houston Texas, yellow P5, manual, no ABS, sunroof. Should drive it 4 time more than the bike, i.e., 20k miles/year.

Bruno
  • ppk_ppkppk_ppk Member Posts: 19
    Male, 26, Cleveland, OH. Silver P5 + auto + ABS.

- PPK 8-)
  • mmdorfmmdorf Member Posts: 8
    Male, 24, Orange County, CA, Yellow P5 + auto + ABS, 11K miles so far...no problems to report
  • doctor_rdoctor_r Member Posts: 27
    Male, 22, Regina, Saskatchewan (ya It's a tough one) Silver, 5spd, roof, just turned over 10K the other day.

Absolutely lovin the car, after a little unfortunate trip to the body shop.
  • maryboo19maryboo19 Member Posts: 21
    Male, 26, in NYC. Only have it a week and a half and love it. All my friends think it cost a lot more then it did!
  • csuftitanscsuftitans Member Posts: 215
    Male, 27, Los Angeles, Black P5, auto, moonroof, 15-months baby (no, it doesn't come with the car)15K miles and my wife drove this car more than I do; she just doesn't want to let go of the car (I'm driving a Millenia S)

A co-worker of mine own a Silver P5, auto; 27 yr old male
  • tboz1tboz1 Member Posts: 3
    Hi, seriously considering the P5 due to the cargo space and don't necessarily need an SUV sized vehicle. My wife and I do frequently travel with our bikes, however. Is the roof rack long enough for traditional bike carriers? Will 2-bikes actually fit inside for transport, or is that too much?
  • redpr5redpr5 Member Posts: 23
    Male, 45, red with auto and moonroof. Looks like so far I'm the oldest of anyone posting. When I bought mine, the dealer told me the first person to buy one, locally, was a lady somewhere around 65. Hers was a red one without a moonroof. There are only a couple of others here in Monroe, LA, so mine turns lots of heads when I'm out and about.
  • mnkyboymnkyboy Member Posts: 108
    Redpr5, you mention Monroe, LA in your last post. Where did you buy your P5? I bought mine from Hollingsworth Mazda in Baton Rouge. I live in the New Orleans area, but Royal Mazda in Metairie wouldnt work with me on getting my P5.

Demographics:
    see previous post... here is an addition: married
  • mustang87mustang87 Member Posts: 129
    hey everybody that was fun reading about the demographics of the p5 group and learning a little more about the person behind the screen name outthere in cyberspace.

whoever asked for a cargo tray, i bought mine back in october and had no problems getting it. if a remmember correctly didn't take longer than 2 weeks. comes in a box folded in half but installs easily and fits great. if you carry any kind of stuff in the car, you need this. go to mymazda.com and most likely you will find a coupon there for your area dealer for 10% off of parts. if you service your car at a dealership, you can also check the maintenance log (updated automatically) on the website.

btw, have you guys heard about a 2003 mazdaspeed protege with turbo from the factory. can a turbo be installed on an automatic?
  • the_big_hthe_big_h Member Posts: 1,583
    as reported from protegetech.com, one of the oldest Protege info site on the Web:

http://www.protegetech.com/mazdaspeedprotege.htm

enjoy!
  • mazdafunmazdafun Member Posts: 2,329
    The rack is long enough. You need to buy a carrier that uses "factory rack" adapters or mounts. Yakima, Thule, Mondial and others make such beasts.

Two bikes will fit inside with their front wheels taken off and the rear seat-backs down, if you're not afraid of them scratching each other (could always use an old blanket between them).
  • pciskowskipciskowski Member Posts: 155
    Hi,

How has anyone hooked a subwoofer into the factory stereo? Where did you connect it to? Is there wiring already in the hatch area?

Also, I removed the rack from the roof this weekend, and I cannot believe the improvement. Not only did the wind noise decrease, but the ride improved greatly as well. I like how it looks with the rack, but the improvement is too great to put it back on until I need it.

BTW, I got 31.5 mpg on the last tank of mainly highway driving (with the rack on), and I am not the most conservative driver. This is the first time I have ever had higher than the rating in any car! I was shocked.
  • meinradmeinrad Member Posts: 820
    Bike Carrier: I'm going with a hitch mounted carrier. Hidden Hitch makes a hitch specifically for the P5, around $100 and a no drill install. Many companies make hitch mounted carriers. I Plan to get one that swings out of the way so I can still open the hatch.

Cargo Tray: I'm still waiting for mine. Ordered March 5th. They told me when I ordered there were none in any of the 3 wharehouses they get parts from, so who knows how long it will take.

Demographics: My unoffical count. 11 Silver, 5 Yellow, 2 Black, 1 blue red white. Age range: 21-45
  • tincup47tincup47 Member Posts: 1,508
    49 yo Male, Blue
  • onboost91onboost91 Member Posts: 86
    28 yo Male, Silver. Albany, NY
    -Finn
  • shriqueshrique Member Posts: 338
    Wow that color is VERY striking. (GRIN) I thinkI could live with that engine in my car.

Demo:
    30 (I think), Married -7 month old. Silver.
  • vocusvocus Member Posts: 7,777
    I don't think the Mazdaspeed is available with an automatic. So you might not able to bolt on a turbo to an automatic Protege.

I asked about an auto on the sedans board for the Mazdaspeed, and they thought I was crazy. I can't drive stick myself, and wouldn't want to because I drive in city traffic frequently.
  • redpr5redpr5 Member Posts: 23
    Yeah its Louisiana. I bought from Lee Edwards Mazda. They weren't bad to deal with. I got $750 off the sticker price. They originally tried to stick me with $395 of dealer prep charges that were not listed on any sticker on the car, but they backed off after they found out I would back out of. the deal.
  • ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    I want to see a turbo P5. Now that would be cool.

-juice
  • bjewettbjewett Member Posts: 62
    I was told at the Chicago Auto Show that only the sedan would get the turbo treatment, but someone else on the townhall said the P5 would as well. That would be nice, and an interesting competition to the WRX wagon. Lower power (170 vs. 227 hp) but less cost, too.

Anyone know about available colors? I had also heard the car would be out this spring - some said summer - but the web page above says 4th quarter of 2002.

One drawback may be the limited run. I can't believe they would only make 2,000 cars. That implies few choices on options (the MP3 had no moonroof and no cruise control, as I recall).
  • protege_fanprotege_fan Member Posts: 2,405
    We're talking about the MS3 over on the Sedans board...somebody said they'd heard only that orange and black for colours, but I guess we'll have to wait and see.
  • mnkyboymnkyboy Member Posts: 108
    QUOTE:
    "We're talking about the MS3 over on the Sedans board...somebody said they'd heard only that orange and black for colours, but I guess we'll have to wait and see. "

LOL, I think its coming out on October 31st. LOL
    The Halloween Special Edition. :-)

-juice
  • coznefxcoznefx Member Posts: 35
    Finally got my cargo tray a couple of days ago, it had been on order for a month...funny thing is, I checked with the dealer last week and there was still no ETA for the part and then 2 days later it arrived...go figure. I'd check with your dealer...I figure the part has to be in the pipeline by now.

BTW, it was well worth the wait.
    I was told by a Mazda Corp rep at a local show that the P5 and MPV would get similar Mazdaspeed treatment. The P5 would essentially be the Sport20 they have had in Japan for a few years.
    and while they're at it, might as well put AWD onto it!

an AWD turbo P5, I'll be willing to pay 23k for it over the Impreza wagon!
    AWD P5 with the turbo-charged engine.

They even have "outbacked" versions (kinda ugly, IMO) over there. Plastic cladding, a bit more clearance.
  • bjewettbjewett Member Posts: 62
    Any idea on when a mazdaspeed P5/MPV would be offered? The fact it isn't (apparently) being shown/discussed at the NY show suggests it may be a ways off.
    I think it just has the NA FS-ZE engine that puts out 170hp(I think?)...
  • maltbmaltb Member Posts: 3,572
    is a Turbo. But, that's not the system they are using in the Mazdaspeed3.
    so much for trying to read Japanese :D
  • vinceburlappvinceburlapp Member Posts: 64
    Check out this new Honda. Better than Mazda?

At;

http://www.thehollywoodextra.com
    Which Honda are you referring to? The Element, or the Pilot?

I don't see either one competing directly with any Mazda products.

-juice
  • elec3elec3 Member Posts: 160
    Where in IL do you live? I'm from the north side of Naperville, though I go to school in southern New Mexico at the moment.

Like I said, my family and I have had good dealings with Pugi over the last several years, one salesman in particular. A few of them can kinda be typical car-sharks but tend to back off us because we're "preferred customers." If you want the name of the salesman we always deal with or any more info, shoot me an email at Elecstudnt@aol.com.
  • bballabballa Member Posts: 56
    I took my first test drive today, the pro5 seems to be as good as advertised! This is my first post but I have been reading what you all have been saying about this car for close to a month now.
    I have also read every review I could find. My impressions on the pro5: the engine is smooth, pretty quiet and peppy enough for my needs. I drove the 5 speed manual trans.,very easy to drive, had a nice feel. The ride was firm but in no way harsh, very tight. All in all a positive test drive.
  • limpyboylimpyboy Member Posts: 26
    Way to go, Bballa.

I too am about to purchase a P5. I cross-shopped lots of models, from Subaru Impreza wagon to Volvo V40.

It came down to being between P5 and Toyota Matrix, and the P5 won out, among other reasons, because of ergonomics. I really couldn't stand the Matrix driver seat. Soft, with no lateral support and a bottom cushion that was too short to support my thighs.

What color you gettin'? I'm contemplating black and midnight blue.
  • emilyyauemilyyau Member Posts: 1
    Hi, I am deciding between the VW Golf (TDI or Gas, not sure yet) and the Protege5. I like the interior look of the VW Golf... but liked the way the P5 drove.

My concern is with the silver trim in the interior. Is this a silver coating? Will it chip? I don't really like the trim, but could live with it. :)

Thanks for your help and advise!

Emily
  • mazdanewbiemazdanewbie Member Posts: 3
    After 6 Toyotas, the only cars I have own since I was 16, I have finally tried another brand. It was the Protege5 that enticed me. I was initially going to buy the Matrix or the new Corolla. However, Toyota's refusal to offer any cash or financing incentives sent me looking elsewhere. Just about every national reviewer loved the Protege5. After a disastrous experience with a local Mazda dealer (long story), I called one of those large volume dealers that were advertising $100 over invoice deals. Drove the 30 miles and received and unbelievable deal (another long story) on a Protege5 w/sunroof, alarm, mats, wheel locks & cargo net I paid $15,700 after $500 recent grad rebate plus 3.9% for 5 years (in lieu of the $750 rebate) and all processing fees waived! Basically, I was able to buy the MP5 for the same price as a lease on the Matrix XR.

Cons: The only drawbacks is the static electricity...ouch. My shifter vibrates, especially at low rpms...anyone else have that problem?

Pros: This a great little car at a great price. Enough hp's for my use, plus more hp's would run up the price...would like to see an option for another engine like the Matrix/Vibe.

Demo: Male, 29...I have the midnight blue!
  • SporinSporin Member Posts: 1,066
    The shifter is rod actuated. Positively connected to the rest of the transmission by metal. This makes for a firm, but positive shift free from the rubbery, disconected feeling of the more common cable actuated shifters in most cars.

It also transmits a bit more vibration.
  • mazdanewbiemazdanewbie Member Posts: 3
    Thank you Sporin for that info, so I guess my hopes that the vibration will lessen as the engine breaks in is misplaced...
  • SporinSporin Member Posts: 1,066
    It's bad to rest your hand on the shifter anyway.
  • bluong1bluong1 Member Posts: 1,927
    didn't chip since last June.
    Bruno
    Click here and scroll down to: 'MAZDA SPEEDS THINGS UP'

http://www.thecarconnection.com/index.asp?article=4767&sid=173&n=156

Click here and scroll down to: 'MAZDA SPEEDS THINGS UP'

http://www.thecarconnection.com/index.asp?article=4767&sid=173&n=156

This discussion has been closed.