Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mazda Protege5

Comments

• bjewettbjewett Member Posts: 62
    I agree with some of the other posts regarding the MazdaSpeed strategy.

We need a 2.0L engine option. Give me a P5 with the same seats, roof, safety (etc) options but with the clutch & turbo engine mods and price it competitively, and it would be a deal. They carconnection link says there is an internal debate on where Mazda will go next. This doesn't bode well for a turbo P5 anytime soon, I would think. Could be time for a Subaru, unfortunately.

I've been waiting for a turbo protege, but don't care for orange, black, the big wing or stereo. I guess just getting more power out of the protege (or P5) isn't likely. How about a midnight blue protege5 with 170 hp and nothing wierd tacked on? Anyone else wanna buy *that* car?
  • the_big_hthe_big_h Member Posts: 1,583
    and it'll cost JUST below 20k too!
  • mnkyboymnkyboy Member Posts: 108
    Dont you think we might be able to buy the turbo when it comes out and put in on our existing 2.0 engines? Shouldnt this work?
    I dunno, it would not be a simple package. I thought it was supposed to require a heftier clutch, new computer control unit, along with the turbo and intercooler hardware. Might be pricy - that said, I think Mazda could make money selling it. I just don't think it will be a simple install, and I dunno what kinda warranty would be offered with it. But I *am* sure there would be interest among protege owners if they can keep the cost down.
  • pciskowskipciskowski Member Posts: 155
    I ordered the cargo tray from Sweeney Imports in Cincinnati last Friday, and I received it yesterday. It was $40 plus shipping, which still came to less than my local dealer quoted me, and they didn't have it in stock and didn't know when they would get it. Definitely worth it! I got the cargo net and wheel locks too, and the whole order came to $97 including shipping. They are at sweeneyparts@fuse.net or 888-831-2698.
  • chicagoprochicagopro Member Posts: 1,009
    Brian--

I don't know where in IL you live, but a few of us in the Chicago area are trying to get a meet together on April 27th at Busse Woods.

Details are over on protegeclub.com, in the Upper Midwest section...see the IL Meet thread.

--Dale
  • bballabballa Member Posts: 56
    limpyboy, I like the blue but I think the silver is the color I am going to get. With the interior so dark I think the exterior should be light or else in the summer the heat will be more of a problem. I don't want many extras,moonroof being the only major one. My wife really wants the moonroof , me not so much. Any owners with opinions on the moonroof? Never had one on any of my cars. Thanks
    what's up with the static electricity? Is it a big problem and does it occur in all pro5s?
  • the_big_hthe_big_h Member Posts: 1,583
    is caused by you rubbing on the seat fabric while driving, all Proteges (hatch and sedan) have this, ahem, 'electric' personality ;)

easiest way to avoid getting shocked is, before you put your foot on the ground, make sure you hold onto a metallic surface of the car before stepping out. I just grab onto the A pillar and pull myself out of the car, and no shocks!!

but I am kinda used to the shocking though... hmmm...
  • limpyboylimpyboy Member Posts: 26
    I had one on a 1990 Jetta GLX. Loved it. For my new P5 it's a must-have for me.

Jetta had nifty device: When roof was fully open a spring-loaded air deflector popped up, reducing noise and air rush.

And the static thing happens with most cars with fabric seats, particularly in dry weather. A-pillar trick is a reliable avoidance maneuver.

BBalla, I notice we're both replacing gigantor vehicles with the P5 (Your Silverado, my Durango).

I'm curious: All the P5 owners out there, what was your previous vehicle?
    limpyboy, the pro5 will be in addition to my silverado. Which one my wife will drive I don't know.
    I had a white '93 Civic hatchback 5-speed that I loved, but I needed 4 doors. Last December I bought a '99 Camry automatic that I hated, so I traded it for a red Protege5 5 speed. This is more like it..

Demographic-36 year old male.
  • phoenixmp5phoenixmp5 Member Posts: 60
    I haven't had a chance to post for a while, so here's my attempt to catch up!!!

Demo: Male, 36, red with moon roof and auto, 13,400 problem free miles. Love the car, though if I forget to turn off over-drive, the auto can be a bit sluggish in traffic... No surprise there. Loved the 5spd, but hate the hour and a half of shifting involved with sitting in traffic each way every day.

Static: A good trick to cut down on the static problem, is to dilute liquid fabric softener in a spray bottle and mist the interior on occasion. I also use this to reduce static around my stereo and computers.

Silver face: Won't chip any worse than the black on the Protege DX!!!

Prior Vehicle: 97 Toyota 4Runner! The P5 carries my dogs and drums just fine. :-)
  • iamziamz Member Posts: 542
    I didn't want to spend the money for the moonroof but I DID want ABS, and Mazda forced you to buy the moonroof when purchasing ABS.

At any rate, I'm very glad I purchased the moonroof. It's very functional and it also has a pop up wind deflector that works fairly well until you get to speeds above 60 mph.

Some people ordered the extra wind deflector and said it works very well on cutting out wind noise.
  • cbmortoncbmorton Member Posts: 252
    I definitely wanted the sunroof on my P5. I got the car in mid-Feb. and haven't had much of a chance to use it yet, but it's a decent one for the price. Would have been nice for it to be deep-tinted and a little larger in size, but it still works well. The nice thing about sunroofs is that you can tilt them for extra ventilation when it's inconvenient to slide it back, such as on a cooler day or when leaving the car parked in the sun.
  • mnkyboymnkyboy Member Posts: 108
    What do you mean Mazda forced you to buy a moonroof with your ABS? I have a Vivid Yellow P5 with just a moonroof. I think the salesman told you a lie so you would buy the vehicle on the lot. If you configured your vehicle on Edmunds or MazdaUSA site, then you can tell that you can buy a P5 with just the moonroof.
    Thanks for the notice - I can't make it around then, but appreciate the info.

p.s. - champaign/urbana, 2 hours from Chicago.

Brian
  • vocusvocus Member Posts: 7,777
    I used to have 2 Proteges, a 1999 DX then a 2001 ES. I had that static problem too. I cut back on it by touching the tip of the key to the outside of the door frame right before pushing the door closed. It's the only thing that worked for me. Worth a shock (I mean shot). :)
  • seminole_kevseminole_kev Member Posts: 1,696
    if you want a moonroof by itself, your ok. But if you want ABS and side airbags, you have to buy the moonroof. Kind of a rip if you ask me, but Mazda's not the only one who does things like this.
  • douglamdouglam Member Posts: 67
    Defintely get the moonroof if you can :) I almost bought a P5 without the moonroof just because the dealer didn't have the P5 in black. Now I have a Blue P5 with moonroof and I don't think I can live without one :)

Blue is very very nice too!

And yes, getting the optional moonroof deflector is highly recommended! Really cuts down on wind noise.
  • protegextwoprotegextwo Member Posts: 1,265
    That is a very nicely optioned Pro-5. Once you have a moon roof in the Mazda Protege, you can't go back. It's all part of the Zoom Zoom Zoom life style.

-love train
  • chicagoprochicagopro Member Posts: 1,009
    Sorry you won't be able to make it...keep checking back, though. We're going to try to plan another meet during the summer, too.

--Dale
  • mustang87mustang87 Member Posts: 129
    my p5 is in ADDITION to my 87 mustang. the mustang is sitting and waiting for me to finish college, get a job and a house so i can restore it. loooove pony cars.

about the static. why not buy some seat covers. no more shock and the seats are protected, higher resale value down the road.
  • protegextwoprotegextwo Member Posts: 1,265
    Happy Easter to All!

God Bless,
    Larry
  • starskystarsky Member Posts: 2
    Hi everyone,

I purchased a mica blue protege5 in the middle of February. Now that the weather has warmed up, I washed and waxed my car today. I noticed that the hood and roof feel as smooth as glass to the touch, but the sides of the car don't have the same feel - they are almost a little rough and have considerable more friction as you move your hand across them.

Is it possible that there is a consistency problem with the clear coat on my car? Has anyone else noticed this with their paint job?

Thanks!
    mnkyboy, as seminole_kev and protegextwo stated you can just buy the moonroof. At the time I only wanted ABS, and the moonroof had to be purchased in order to buy ABS, not the other way around.
  • mazdafunmazdafun Member Posts: 2,329
    If I could fit into a P5 with a moonroof, I wouldn't mind too much about having to get it. As it stands (or sits), I don't fit into a Protege or P5 with a moonroof. Thus, if I wanted ABS (which I might if it snowed more here), the Protege would be off my list because I plain don't fit into it.

I guess the demographics suggest to Mazda that most people should be fine with the moonroof if they want ABS. I just don't fit that demographic.
  • mazdafunmazdafun Member Posts: 2,329
    I was told to expect it about summertime.

I was wondering if Mazda would put in one of their new I4s (such as the base engine in the 6) as an option. No turbo, "regular" gas, plenty enough HP and torque for me. Also, the wheel and tire combo they have on the P5 now are plenty fine for me. I actually kind of dread the ride on the Mazdaspeed 3 with those 17in, 45-profile tires. Heh, of course, I wouldn't mind if they put the Renesis rotary in either. :) The RX8 looks great, but I like the packaging and utility of the P5 better.
  • seminole_kevseminole_kev Member Posts: 1,696
    I don't like sunroof/moonroofs. When I've had them in the past, I never used them. And I don't like punching a hole in the structure of the vehicle for something I never use. I do like ABS and Side Airbags. Just wish I didn't have to buy everything to get a few things I want ;-)
  • sunbyrnesunbyrne Member Posts: 210
    The only part of that "package" that I really needed to have was side airbags, which of course requires getting ABS which of course requires getting the moonroof. I've never had a car with a moonroof before, but I can tell you now I as long as I live down here in Texas I will never have one WITHOUT a moonroof from now on. I love it!
    I'm considering a P5 - or a subaru, or... driving my civic into the ground.

Would you all mind answering a few questions?

1) How is the engine noise at highway speeds? I understand the P5 stick is geared such that there are much higher RPMs at speed than the auto. Does it bother you?

2) How about noise off the roof? Does the moonroof deflector really reduce the roof rack noise too?

3) What kind of hwy mileage do you get?

4) How is the car for long, higher-speed runs? Can you drive 80+ for a long stretch comfortably (yes I know it isn't a Lexus)

5) How's the noise/vibration/harshness?

6) We'd all like lots of power, but is the power adequate? I'm curious about a summer Mazdaspeed P5 but fear it will have a big wing, 900-watt stereo and purple seats...

7) I think I know the answer, but how is the handling for hauling through on/offramps at 20 over the posted speed?

Thanks,
    Brian
  • SporinSporin Member Posts: 1,066
    New MPG high...

I usually get between 28-32 MPG in my 5-speed P5 (13k miles). That is in mixed driving.

This weekend I made the trip to my wife's folks's house in Maine. 3.5 hours each way, about 60% highway, and 40% fast 2 lanes (Rt. 4 & 202, 45-55mph)

On regular 87 octane gas, I got 34 MPG. :-D

I kept the HVAC in fan positions that kept the AC Compressor off, and I think that made a difference. Anyway... just thought I'd brag.
  • SporinSporin Member Posts: 1,066
    1) How is the engine noise at highway speeds? I understand the P5 stick is geared such that there are much higher RPMs at speed than the auto. Does it bother you?

It's noisier then my Passat was but not by much and certainly not uncomfortable. Tires are a big casue of noise and the SP5000's are pretty quiet. Unlike my snows (Arctic Alpins) which are quite noisey.

2) How about noise off the roof? Does the moonroof deflector really reduce the roof rack noise too?

No moonroof and I took off my roof rack the first week (thought I didn't find it noisy).

Strictly highway and i'm hitting 32-34 easily.

4) How is the car for long, higher-speed runs? Can you drive 80+ for a long stretch comfortably (yes I know it isn't a Lexus)

I don't often drive that fast so I can't say. It cruises nicely at 70-75 though, with no problem passing slower traffic.

Not bad, but it is an "economy car" so don't expect Lexus levels.

6) We'd all like lots of power, but is the power adequate? I'm curious about a summer Mazdaspeed P5 but fear it will have a big wing, 900-watt stereo and purple seats...

The only confirmed turbo Protege will be the limited edition sedan, at least until the redesign comes along. I think performance is perfect, especially for around town driving.

7) I think I know the answer, but how is the handling for hauling through on/offramps at 20 over the posted speed?

Nothing short of fantastic!.
  • meinradmeinrad Member Posts: 820

No it doesn't bother me. I suppose it might be perception though. If I was driving a Caddy, I'd be upset with how loud the engine is, but with this car, I don't mind it at all.

I don't know about the deflector, don't like the looks of it. I removed the cross bars b/c it was too loud when I opened the sunroof. With the sunroof closed it never bothered me. I have no problem with the noise levels with the sunroof open now that the cross bars are removed.

Don't know. Never bothered to check. I usually go by feel, and it feels like I'm going long enough between fill-ups.

I don't know, only have maintained 75 for any length of time. Hit 90 once for a short period, felt great. I never maintain anthing over 80 for long periods so it's not an issue for me.

Noise is average for the class of car, no real vibration. I think it rides kind of harsh, I can feel every crack in the road, but it's the tradeoff for handling I guess.

I feel the power is more than adequate for 95% of the driving most of us do. To me, it's not underpowered, it's just that sometimes you want more. Some cars are just plain underpowered. But, if more power meant more cost, I probably would not have bought the car, so I'm happy with the power as is.

Easy answer. Fantastic. I have a favorite right, left, right, ramp near my house, and it's a blast to fly through. The car flat out corners, I don't think anyone tries to dispute that.
  • vilainefemmevilainefemme Member Posts: 49
    Does anybody know how much fuel is in the gas tank when the little warning light goes on? Or at least how far you can go before you truly run out? It appears that it goes on any time that it's lower than a 1/4 tank, which is annoying since I don't like to bother going to the gas station until it's really important. (lazy) I could relax in my old car because my mom always told me I had like 50 miles or whatever. No reason to sweat it.

I'm crabby. Went to use the cruise control for the first time this weekend and it doesn't work! It'll stay steady for a few minutes, but then eventually start slowing down and then the cruise will turn off completely. And I realized how annoying it is to not know if the MAIN cruise button is in or out. There should be some sort of dash light showing that along with the 'cruise' light. I'll be taking it in this week and also checking on the availability of the cargo tray.

vf
  • pgillpgill Member Posts: 84
    1) It's all relative to what your experiences. My other car is a BMW X5, so compared to that, P5 is pretty noisy. But after taking my roof rack off, the noise has been manageable.

2) I don't have a moonroof.

3) 30+ on highway

4) My daily commute is 70 miles each way (80% highway, 20% rural roads) and I find P5 very comfortable to drive. I routinely drive 80 mph and occasionally drive at 90+ mph and find my P5 very stable and comfortable at those speeds.

5) Pretty good balance between road feel and smooth ride. No complaints.

6) You're not going to blow away a WRX from traffic lights, but I find the power adequate and it's "peppy" enough with manual transmission.

7) I have no problems following "sportier" cars off ramps at 20+ mph over posted speed limit. Plus, I routinely go 20+ mph over posted speed limit on rural roads in my daily commute...has therapeutic benefits.
  • reitrofreitrof Member Posts: 122
    I just came back from a trip from Boston to Montreal this weekend. Had the car fully loaded with Gear and my wife and 2 daughters. Cruising about 80mph both ways and got 28.6 on the way up and 27.6 on the way back. And that included bombing around Montreal.

Haven't seen too many P5's around Boston yet, but saw at least 15 in my weekend in Montreal, 3 reds, 2 blues, a mix of silvers and blacks and finally another yellow besides my own! Saw more P5's in Montreal than I have since last July in Boston. Kinda cool. First time I have seen another yellow on the road.

Actually came up on a blue one with 4 guys cooking down the 2-20 on the west island.
  • mustang87mustang87 Member Posts: 129
    i go at least another 50 miles after the light comes up.
    i do agree that its hard to figure out if "main" button for cruise is on or off but when i use the cruise, i always turn of the button now so i know its off next time i wanna use it. i am glad the cruise is not on a stalk like toyotas. but the buttons should be illuminated. also on p5's next to the fogs and dimmer button there is one empty slot that is not used. why not put an aditiional coil holder there? is that so hard mazda? why not put an additional power outlet. why do automakers take so long to figure things out?
    Any advice on replacing the stock speakers? My main concern is squeaks and rattles in the door after doing so. What has everyone else experienced? What speakers sound OK with the stock head unit? Does anyone have pictures of what an aftermarket head unit looks like installed? Please feel free to email me.

Thanks!
    I never have understood why it's necessary to turn off the main cruise control. For about 15 years on a combined 4 different cars, all of which have had cruise, I have never turned off the main. hmmmmmm......
  • elec3elec3 Member Posts: 160
    so you don't accidentally turn the cruise on. Not that it ever happens, but I suppose it could.

It's pretty safe to assume that when the light comes on, you've got <= 50 miles let. Mine usually comes on between 2 and 3 gallons, so you've got whatever you can get out of that much gas. I try to not let it go below 1/4 tank when it's warm and a 1/2 tank when there's any possibility it might freeze up. There's little in life worse than being stranded without gas.

The Pro5 would make an excellent commuter car and should be quick enough for most people, but is no WRX if you're just looking for blinding speed. Still, it handles like a dream and has power where you really need it, so it's hard to hold it against the Pro5 when it runs out of breat around 5000rpm or above 85mph. If you do normal, sane driving you'll never even notice. If you like to push the envelope or street race at all, you might really find yourself wanting more power. The fun in the Pro5 is that it handles well and needs to be wrung out to be fast. The practicality of the Pro5 is in its gas mileage, roof rack, hatch area, big backseat, 4 rear doors, etc. etc. etc.
  • badboyeeebadboyeee Member Posts: 26
    theres about 2.5 gallons left when the fuel tank light comes on. i figured it out today. here's what i did:

The light came on, then i drove about 20 miles to the gas station. It took 12.385 gallons to fill up the fuel tank. Then I did the math, 14.5 - 12.385 = 2.2 gallons. So therefore I believe the light comes on when there is 2.5 gallons of fuel left. :)

I wouldn't drive more than 50 miles when the light comes on
  • sunbyrnesunbyrne Member Posts: 210
    1) Engine noise at high speeds is pretty normal for this class of car. The slightly higher RPMs at higher speeds is mildly annoying, but only in the sense that I'd now like a 6-speed, but it's not enough to bother me.

2) I do have a moonroof. I had the car for about two weeks before getting the deflector and the deflector makes a marked difference.

3) I rarely drive pure highway, but lately I've been getting around 28 with about 60/40 highway/city.

4) Hmm, the only long stretch like that where I've wanted to go 80 for long stretches was on a road trip to San Antonio (I live in Houston). Unfortunately, there was too much traffic and I generally had to stay around 75-80. It was fine for that.

5) Similar to other cars in its class. As others have noted, the suspension is a little stiff, but I like that. Of course, Houston is mostly pretty smooth concrete, not the choppy asphalt of the midwest.

6) I find the power adequate. Of course I'd love another 20-40 horses, but I don't find myself cursing the lack. Now, my wife's 99 LX with the 1.6 in it, that's underpowered.

7) Heh, the handling is the best point of the car's performance. I routinely ignore yellow speed signs for curves--the P5 handles them without difficulty.
  • little9little9 Member Posts: 30
    First, do the rear seats of the P5 lie flat or do they merely fold forward giving an uneven floor when carrying a load? Second, what is a cargo tray? Does this hide items in the "trunk" from view when the rear seats are up? Third, can one order a P5 to specification or is it necessary to shop several dealerships to find what you want? Fourth, do you know of any dealers in Missouri/Illinois who do deals via the net. Have been seriously considering the Elantra GT but am not happy with the rear seats which do not fold forward to form a flat bed. Thanks.
  • vilainefemmevilainefemme Member Posts: 49
    Thanks for the answers everybody. I'll keep it under 50 miles when the fuel light is on. I couldn't remember ever reading the size of the fuel tank to figure it out myself.

If you go to MazdaUSA.com you can see the what sort of stock is available at your local dealership. Go to the "Locate a Vehicle" section. It shows the color, transmission, options, MSRP, etc. It also tells you if the dealership does deals on the net.

The rear seats fold approximately flat after you undo the seat cushions, but the trunk space is still lower than the seatback area so it's not completely level and flat. The cargo tray is a tray that covers the trunk floor to keep it clean, there's already a privacy cover (removeable) on the trunk lid to keep the contents hidden. You can probably still order a car but any dealership is going to try and get you to buy what's on the lot first.

vf
  • shriqueshrique Member Posts: 338
    Say I would like to get that and the bumper protector....however I'm too lazy to go back and read the messages to find out a couple of places that may already have these items in stock. Could you post where you guys got yours without having to wait 9 months?
  • meinradmeinrad Member Posts: 820
    My Cargo Tray and Net have finally reached the dealership! My wife is going to pick them up this afternoon. Ordered on March 5th and arrived today. Not a moment too soon either as the weather is improving the stroller will be going in the hatch a lot now, and I don't need dirty stroller wheels ruining the hatch.
  • badboyeeebadboyeee Member Posts: 26
    oh my goodness, I have to wait at least a month for my cargo tray?! I've ordered it on 3/23, i guess I have 2-3 more weeks of waiting
    Yeah, i would only try to go around 30-50 miles when the light comes on. You never know how well placed the gas line is at the gas tank. Getting air into the gas line isn't a good idea either.

I really don't see the point in running the gas tank till there's only fumes left. Not that you're shaving seconds off laps while going to pit stop like those Nascar racers. :)

So when the light comes on, just try to get to a gas station at your earliest convenience :)
This discussion has been closed.