Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mazda Protege5

Comments

• mazdafunmazdafun Member Posts: 2,329
    These are rough numbers based upon what I measured in a nice dark metallic blue P5 I checked out over the weekend:

The floor is about the same as in the sedan, but the 4in reduction in overall vehicle length is definitely taken from the cargo area. I don't know who generated the listed cargo numbers.

Seats up and cargo cover in place: just under 12 cu ft.

Seats up and cargo cover removed: about 14 cu ft to where the top surface of the cover used to be (19 cu ft must mean crammed up to the headliner).

Seats down and cargo cover in place: about 30 cu ft if you keep your stuff below the level of the cover.

Seats down and cargo cover removed: about 33 cu ft.

You can pack stuff higher, so long as you can still see out the rear.

The front passenger seat does not fold down flat. Still, there is about 63in from the rear of the cargo space to the rear of the front seat, depending on how long-legged you are (I had them adjusted about mid-way through their travel).

The rear seats fold down two ways: seat backs down only, or you can flip the seat cushions forward and then drop the seat backs for a slightly larger cargo space. However, the bottom edges of the seat backs don't go down any further; they are held in place by their hinges.

Net, the cargo space isn't much less than the sedan's. It's shorter and taller, but much more accessible. Also, ALL of the space is usable. In my sedan, I have to stay clear of the trunk hinges and the backs of the speakers. The P5's cargo space is completely finished. Also, if you hunt around under the carpet, you will find 4 METAL cargo tie-down rings (not the flimsy plastic ones you find in some vehicles).

For those who have to carry more than 2 6ft-tall people, I found as much head room in the rear as in the front, though the rear seat room is just adequate (still much more than in competitors, except for the Civic). I am 6ft tall, but I'm proportioned such that I sit as tall as someone 6'3".
    Other nice touches: map pockets in the rear doors, rear center seat still has a lap/shoulder belt combo, Dunlop SP5000 tires on 16" alloy rims, plastic snap-in covers to fill up the holes should you choose to remove the standard roof rack, cruise control is done with wheel-hub mounted buttons instead of a control stalk that is slightly in the way (I've since trained myself to avoid it).

Too bad they didn't come out with this when I was looking in 99, but I'm still pleased as punch with my 99 ProLX! However, I'm still trying to convince my wife to get one of these!
  • SporinSporin Member Posts: 1,066
    Great info! Thanks. :-)
  • maltbmaltb Member Posts: 3,572
    Don't forget to note that Mazda took a one time hit for the retirement package they offered. I am certain that next years earnings will look much better due to that.

:)
  • estoesto Member Posts: 136
    So who's seen the biggest "adjustment" for "market value"? I went to check out the stock of P5's at Herzog-Meier Mazda here in Beaverton, Oregon (next to Portland) and saw a hand-scrawled sheet of paper with "AMV: $3000" on it. Can anyone beat that?

BTW, I saw 4 p5's, 3 autos and 1 5 speed.

Erik
    Simply Amazing!

I think the dealers will figure out real quick that it takes a real idiot to pay $3k over MSRP. With prices like that, these dealers will be begging people to buy them 6 months from now when there is no demand.

Stupid, stupid, stupid.

• hkchanhkchan Member Posts: 420
    All it takes is one "real idiot" to sell one car.
  • tocantocan Member Posts: 118
    Thanks for the VERY detailed information on space. I can see that you are definitely a numbers person like me. I must say, though, cubic feet aren't really the easiest numbers to calculate since we measure in feet and inches (at least if we aren't working in metric) not in decimal feet. ;-)

Nomi
    WOW! I still can't believe that American dealers ever get away with this. As I said, as far as I know, in Canada MSRP is as high as things go. You may not be able to negotiate less than MSRP, but I don't believe they charge more either.

Nomi
  • oosmpoooosmpoo Member Posts: 9
    Can anyone give me a list of hatchbacks or any type of sporty car in or around the p5's price range? Right now im leaning towards the p5 but its always nice to know my chioces.
  • aardvark_markaardvark_mark Member Posts: 95
    VW Golf was the first that came to my mind..
  • pocmonsterpocmonster Member Posts: 15
    IRA Motor Group of Danvers, MA, has a silver P5 equipped with an automatic and floor mats only for $17,695. It was raining and getting dark by the time I arrived at the dealership to test drive the P5. I had already test driven two cars in the same price range, the very bland Hyundai Sonata, and an extremely mushy and misaligned Chrysler Sebring, so I was really looking forward to zoom zoom. The salesman drove the P5 up to the front door, and sent me off on MY OWN to give the little car a spin.

All I have to say is that I came back to the dealership with the biggest smile on my face. I know for sure that I want the P5 in bright red. Nothing else can match this wonderful machine in practicality, fun, youthfulness, and reliability. My family has a MPV running perfectly after 4 years. The P5 is truly a driver's machine; it goes exactly where you steer it. The accelerator responds instantly, and brake pedal feel is absolutely perfect. The car does not have a mind of its own like many other cars, but lets you take complete control. And it is a rocket. Even with the automatic, the engine revs pretty willingly.

If I absolutely had to pick out any problems, it would involve the steering wheel and gauge lighting. The red on white is just plain awful and too piercing. And even though the leather three-spoke wheel is a charm to work, it is just a tad too small. Otherwise, the car is full of wonderful workmanship. In my opinion, Mazda is the only Japanese company that truly pays attention to little details. Even the stereo is a wonderful piece of design and works much better than some home systems. Interior noise is kept at a minimum, while the exterior body kit is stunning on this car.

All I have to say is go out and buy one!!! The dealer is charging MSRP, but not anymore, even though all the arriving cars have already been bought.
  • tmundartmundar Member Posts: 70
    The alternatives that I can think of (off the top of my head) that are available right now are: Hyundai Elantra GT (just being released), Kia Spectra, Subaru Impreza Wagon, and the Volkswagen Golf. You might also consider some of the compact station wagons like the Daewoo Nubira Wagon, Ford Focus Wagon, Kia Rio Wagon, Saturn SW2, Suzuki Esteem Wagon, or the Volkswagen Jetta Wagon. If you can wait 6 months to a year, there will be the Ford Focus ZX5, Pontiac Vibe, and the Toyota Matrix. There are even more choices if you don't need 4 doors. Of course, these are all of the choices here in the US, and there might be other choices in Canada.

Some dealerships just put ADM ("Additional Dealer Markup") on all of their cars. I know of a dealership around here that puts $2000 of ADM on all of their Hyundais. It is probably just a tactic to make an uninformed person feel good ("Wow! They took $2000 of the price of the car! I must be getting a great deal!"). And they are supposedly the #1 dealership in the area. *Gag*

Tom
  • focswagongrlfocswagongrl Member Posts: 3
    Hi everyone! I'm so excited about pocmonster's message! This means that more people think the car is great, and I'm not just dreaming! My Pro5 is on order, and should be in this month! I'm getting a black one, w/auto, power moonroof, and side airbags/ABS. It's going to run about $20300, with tax, title, reg. I can't wait for it to come in!

I was thinking about getting the Focus ZX5, (four-door hatchback), but it may never get here. I need a car now. My bf has the focus wagon (hence my name), and I love it, but the Pro5 just bit me hard! Well, I'll see you around!
    It's a lot easier when I can use the CAD system at work to do the hard calculations. :)

But yeah, I definitely need to check out the numbers for myself, especially when the posted information is highly suspect.

My wife needs to put her cello into the back. She'd prefer to not have to lower the seat backs, but she wants to stay in a compact or sub-compact vehicle and doesn't want a minivan or SUV, so I still have a chance at convincing her to make ours a two-Protege family (3, if you count an '89 323 I'm still holding onto). Wish me luck. ;)
  • jstandeferjstandefer Member Posts: 805
    Wow! I can't believe a $3000 additional mark-up on the Pro5!! Our local dealer here in San Diego utilizes their "Bottom Line" no-hassle, no-haggle pricing policy. They sold their first Pro5 at full sticker and it sold right away. It was a yellow one and they had people fighting over it. Now that they have more in, they are now pricing them $500-$600 below MSRP. I bought my ES sedan from them at $14,800 without any negotiating.

Oh no, I hear my Saturn story coming on... OK, here it goes. I was so happy with my experience with them that I quit my job and started working for them. Their pricing was amazing! I sold several 626 sedans for $13,999. They didn't negotiate over any prices... not a single penny! But at those prices, who needs to? They truly believe in making customers for life (which I will be), not making a quick profit! I wish every dealership out there was like them, but alas, dealerships like this are far and few between!

Anyways, they have never marked-up a vehicle above MSRP (except the Vipers, but that's a different story). I would not pay over MSRP for the Protege5!! Find another dealership, even if it's a couple of hours away! I'm sure $3000 is worth a couple hours of your time (unless you're Bill Gates).
  • leomortleomort Member Posts: 453
    over the Memorial holiday. Silver w/ auto. Cargo are looks small, about size of VW Golf (dealer sells both). Wife likes the look of the P5 over the Golf.

Leo
    When I checked out the P5 at Jake Sweeney Mazda, there was someone else there who was comparing it against the Golf 5-door hatchback. She was leaning towards the P5 (esp. since it's cheaper), but wanted to test-drive an auto before making her decision.

Seems to be a trend....
    The first P5 at my local dealer sold right away for MSRP.

They aren't trying to gouge on the P5, since they know it's not a limited-production vehicle. They are marking up the MP3 (to the tune of about $2300 over MSRP). Yikes!

BTW, the subwoofer they put in the trunk of the MP3 eats up trunk space and makes the left side of the pass-through useless. But, if the MP3 fits your priorities, you'd have put in a subwoofer yourself anyway. :)
    I couldn't care less about the subwoofer in the MP3! I want the MP3's handling upgrades and extra performance. Plus, it just looks cool (although, I could do without the rear wing)!

One would think Mazda could have put the sub in an enclosure on either side of the trunk. I use my fold-down seats a lot!
  • focswagongrlfocswagongrl Member Posts: 3
    From what I've been reading and experiencing,the Pro5 is only around $1000 over invoice. How could anyone pay that much? I better check up on mine...
  • traetrae Member Posts: 8
    Is this the same motor as in the ford focus? I was hoping it is because there are a lot of aftermarket parts for the focus, but none for the P5!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11
  • shonnashonna Member Posts: 1
    i want the name and number of your company you work for. i'm in louisiana, but i'm currently talking to someone in fairhaven, MA. the way i want my car, the price is $19,945. can you help me? i have just fallen head over heels for this car for some reason ( usually i have champagne taste).i want floor mats, wheel locks, chrome alloy, moonroof, cd player (not cd changer), dual airbags,automatic. i can't remember what else, that might be it. please help me!!! thank you p.s. the reason i'm not dealing with people here is because they only want to give me $3500 for my car and up north they'll give me $7500. i still owe $5600
    This is NOT the same engine as in the Ford Focus. Most of us are extremely grateful for that fact.

Nomi
  • protegextwoprotegextwo Member Posts: 1,265
    A FORD MOTOR in a Mazda Protege.... sweet mother of all that is good and pure!!! Heck NOOOO!!!! Our beloved, 1999 thru 2001 Mazda Protege's are manufactured in Japan with 97% Japanese part content. The day Ford starts putting unholy Ford parts in the Protege is the very day,...I leave this disscusion! I got to go take a shower now, I feel dirty even talking about Ford in the same post as a Protege.

Respectfully,
    Larry
    So whats the other 3%? :)
    I have heard, 2% Jamican and 1% Bahamian, hehe!!! Zoom Zoom Zoom!!!!

-Larry
    Don't tell Larry that the PCM is made by Visteon, a former Ford spin-off.

Visteon Industry was spun off because there CEO and Board of Directors were tired of Ford Motor Companies low quality control standards. Visteon even changed their name after getting the Mazda PCM contract. They moved there manufacturing facilities to Japan and are now called the Famoj Corporation. ;-)

F ord
    A lways
    M ade
    O doriferous
    J unk

Respectfully,
    Larry
    Mazada will make a 626 hatchback again?

Leo
  • cosmo19cosmo19 Member Posts: 4
    Well first let me say that I'm not a auto industry insider or a prophet, but I think that many companies will bring back mid-sized wagons and hatchbacks in the next few years. Including Mazda. Or at least autos that look like hatchbacks and wagons but called something else like Mazda did with the p5.
    I can tell you first hand that Visteon's production quality remains very low. Also, Visteon was spun off from Ford so that they could gain more of the industry business and not just that of the Ford vehicles. When the Protege began using the Visteon PCM in '99, it was in fact produced in the states. I'm not certain if production has moved to Japan for the later models or not. I believe that the window sticker defines what content is from the US as well.
    I have read many, many reports indicating that Mazda will build a hatchback/wagon version of the new upcoming midsize sedan (they may drop the 626 nameplate). It seems a lot of inspiration will come from the current MX Sport Tourer concept being shown at auto shows. Check it out at Mazda's website. Go to Vehicles on the left hand side of the page, and select Concept Cars.
    I will correspond with you via e-mail on this one so I can get all of the little detais and see what I can do!

BTW, I no longer work for that dealership anymore (accepted a cushy desk job), but I still have very close ties there.
  • tatu1tatu1 Member Posts: 50
    Here's some info from another source about the redesign of the 626, they claim that Mazda will redesign the 626 for the model year 2003....http://www.motortrend.com/april01/mazda/mazda_f.html
    nice article from the link. Looks like Mazda has some aggressive plans for the future. Looks like the Protege will have an optional 2.4l engine? Looks like Mazda is going to rotary engines? what's the advantage? more durable, reliable?

Leo
    I thought the P5 was suppose to have rear disc brakes? Edmund list rear drum brakes. Can any clearify?

Leo
  • SporinSporin Member Posts: 1,066
    It definetely has disks all around.
  • zhenyazhenya Member Posts: 12
    I thought that I'm on Protege5/Hatchback stationwagon discussion, not Mazdas' full line production!. I mean don't take me wrong but I prefer things organized.So those
    that have something other than Protege5 or anything related to it(like aftermarker accessories or parts) please find proper discussion forum.

Thank you.
  • vocusvocus Member Posts: 7,777
    All of us Protege owners and (possibly) future buyers come to these discussions to be friendly, help each other out, and share our experiences. Whether the experience fall under repair, maintenance, or just buying the car, it can be asked here. I am sure if Edmund's had a problem with that, they would make it evidently clear to the users by changing/erasing posts. If that has not been done, then I don't see a problem with it.
    Just for you, I will sign my posts this way:

Protege5 fan
  • nikecarnikecar Member Posts: 460
    yup.. saw 5 of them.. 2 black and 3 silver. I was on my way to Port Canaveral to pick my brother up and passed a car transporter with 4 on it (3-silv, 1-blk) . couldn't make out what it was until I got close.. what a sight... drove next to that truck for a bit to take it all in. sticker said $14K and change (want to say 14.7K) and the total was 17K and change. the last black was at the dealer lot as I passed it that evening.

told the wife and she was jealous.. already thinking of trading hers in.. too bad.. I get the next new car!!!!! *grin*
  • seguyseguy Member Posts: 133
    july motortrend has a snipet about ford tanking the taurus sedan in '04 in favor of a sportswagon. Good move imo, since mondeo should be coming soon to take over sable/taurus slot. And also suzuki is releasing a 5 dr hatch next year also, 2.0 I-4 with avail AWD early next year. Choices keep getting better for the hatch/wagon crowd.
  • lszabolszabo Member Posts: 8
    where did you get the information, that suzuki is releasing a hatch?
    there was a Suzuki 'Xtreme' 5-door at the NY auto show which sounds pretty impressive.. 2.0 220 HP engine, all wheel drive, 17 alloy wheels.. dunno if this is the same one seguy is talking about above..

http://www.motortrend.com/cgi-bin/dynamicauto/ny2001/nyauto.cgi?page=7&NS=aname1&IE=1

• seguyseguy Member Posts: 133
    but the july issue of motortrend said we probably won't see the turbo, hence <150 hp on production version, also less cosmetic stuff than the prototype. But with AWD and a 2.0, looks like VW value that can compete with the matrix/vibe in price, I think I'd like to see it, hopefully it comes out early as in march next year. the july issue also has an article about the vibe, they say it'll be available in Jan '02. I can wait til then, so I hope more hatches make it to the showrooms by then.
    I getting this feeling that Lexus SPortCross, Protege5, Suzuki Extreme. all of them obviously triggered by one concept "wagon with slightly extended wheelbase and sloped back that more of a something ,.........somehting." Now all of this is good as long as more companies will start making them. Curious why?!???????, Simple:
    1) Competition- translates into quality, performance, comfort for best price.
    2) After market parts, accessories - obviously no one will be making after market parts for
    Protege5 alone, but once Bmw, Gmc, Hyundai, Honda, Lexus, Pontiac(mocking), toyota, & finally Mazda will be making them and improvising there be a ton of after market parts, accessories and whatever else you possibly will imagine. By the way saw RX-7
    probably 92-97 fully loaded with
    http://www.carsmart.com/cgi-bin/aucenter.exe?pagecode=auas1

nice site with "exclusive" interior 360 views of various cars shown at the 4 major 2001 auto shows..
    I'm sure lots of you know about this site but I just found it for the first time today and I was looking for an interior 360 degree view of the US protege5 for months :).. Anyhow, as far as production hatchbacks go..

Los Angeles has the 2002(?) Pontiac Vibe and 2002 Mercedes hatchback

Detroit has the 2003 Toyota matrix

Chicago has the Mazda Protege5 (our favorite) :)

and New York has the 2002 honda civic si and Suzuki Xtreme (SX) (concept but close to 2003?)..

sportwagon/hatchback mania alright! :)
  • dantedlpdantedlp Member Posts: 3
    I would like to remove the roof rack from my Protege5 primarily because of the wind noise when I have the sunroof open. I read that there are some "blanks" or "snap-in covers" that are used to fill in the holes after taking off the roof rack. The messages were specifically from tonyreynol and mazdafun contributors. Could you or anyone else tell me where to get these. My Mazda dealer, service manager and even a Mazda rep never heard of such things.
    Thanks.
  • dantedlpdantedlp Member Posts: 3
    First of all I need to thank Edmunds.com for informing me about the then new Protege5 in early April. I just happened to be on that website and saw articles about it. I went to my local Mazda dealer (who also sells Mercedes, BMW, Porsche and Saab--I guess this says something about the class of cars the Mazda comfortably fit in with)
    The Mazda sale manager told me that eleven Protege5 would be arriving around the middle of May. On his list was a silver one with auto, sunroof, ABS brakes and side airbags. He said he would hold that one for me--with no obligation. He called me on Thursday, May 17 with the news that six had arrived--including the one reserved for me. I went to look at it on Friday. He wanted me to take it home for the weekend! I said I would be back on Monday to test drive it.
    On Monday he let me take it home overnight. I knew this was the car for me after only a few minutes of driving it.
    Negotiating a price was next. It listed at $19,195.00. Invoice price was $17,571.00. I asked him how close to invoice price he could get. He said, "$17,571.00!" Needless to say I am now the owner of a 2002 Protege5. I must confess that his wife is my niece. So I know there was somewhat of a family discount given. Then I found out that Mazda had a special financing program at 1.9% for 36 months which I jumped at.
    I stopped in last week to thank him and tell him how much I enjoyed the car. He said they sold four of the five others very quickly and kept one for demo purposes. He also said they are now selling at MSRP.

After two fill ups my mpg has been 26.4 and 28.3 respectively.
This discussion has been closed.