Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mazda Protege5

Comments

• rinarmrinarm Member Posts: 10
    The roof rack "blanks" come with the car. At least the demo I drove had a package in the cargo area with black plastic strips, that the dealer noted were for removal of the roof rack. If their not there, check with the dealer.
  • iamziamz Member Posts: 542
    I went to my car dealer on Friday and saw the P5 in person for the first time. I was very pleased. Pictures just don't reveal how nicely it's lines flow. Very nice!

My sales person saw me and informed me he had just called me to let me know my P5 would arrive sooner than expected (first week of July). He even gave me the VIN# with my name tagged to it.

I will have to pay for the moonroof that comes standard with the ABS/side air bags. But I will still pay slightly under MSRP.(see my other postings)

The dealer still is saying there will be very few (about 200) yellow P5s reaching the states because apparently the car has to be sent through the paint process 3 times in order to get good coverage of the "A" and "D" pillars.

They are dealing on the other colors, but informed me they will be asking $2K above MSRP on any other yellow P5s they can get.

I would never pay that much.

They are giving me the 1.9% financing which makes up for having to pay close to MSRP.

-Terry
    For any P5 enthusiasts that have been also watching the MP3, Morries Mazda has one on their lot. I believe it is already sold but they will keep it around for a couple of weeks to show.

They also have Nicholas Cages' yellow Ferrari for sale. I think they will take around $185K to $199K for it (That would be cash only for a heck of deal like that).

I would have considered it (the yellow Ferrari) but there was no cargo room for my mountain bike, so I'll stick with my yellow P5 instead (that and the fact that the Devil doesn't give you much for your soul anymore). Oh well.

-Terry
  • newcar31newcar31 Member Posts: 3,711
    Are you sure they still have that yellow Ferrari F355? I was at Morries on tuesday and didn't see it there anymore. Dang it, I just got my loan approved and I was going to buy that thing ;) Why did they have that thing anyway? Morries always seems to have those cool non mazda cars on their showroom floor. They used to have a sixties black mustang. Did you see the old school souped up RX7 they have sitting up on the curb? Walser Mazda in Bloomington also has an MP3.
  • mazdafunmazdafun Member Posts: 2,329
    Yes, they come with the car. They are a bunch of black long plastic bits that come inside a clear poly bag. Usually they toss them into the cargo area. Check to make sure some prep tech didn't hide them in the spare tire well or something to "tidy" up the car for show.

If your dealer forgot to give them to you and lost them, they should replace them for you at their cost.
  • orangelebaronorangelebaron Member Posts: 435
    Wantagh Mazda (Long Island) just got a whole bunch of silver and black 5's in auto. The Protege ES seats are among the most comfortable i've ever checked out. Firm, supportive but not hard. And the interior design is just right. Classy and sporty. Too bad the P5 does'nt come in any shade of green.
  • tocantocan Member Posts: 118
    I haven't yet seen any commercials for the P5 (but then I haven't been watching much TV lately) but today's Toronto Star had a 2 page ad for the P5. Other than a tiny notice on a small dealership ad last week, it is the first advertising that I have seen here for the P5.

Nomi
    The Ferrari was stuck back in a corner of their upper level garage area with "Do not touch" signs under the windsheild wipers.

I suppose keeping exotics around entices people to stop in and look.

I didn't see the RX-7 but I was probably distracted looking for the P5s (tunnel vision). I walked right by the MP3 twice before I even noticed it.

-Terry
  • newcar31newcar31 Member Posts: 3,711
    Yeah, but why did they have Nick Cage's Ferrari? Did he trade it in on a Miata while in Minnesota?
  • oosmpoooosmpoo Member Posts: 9
    Anyone know where i can get a insurance quote for the p5?
  • tocantocan Member Posts: 118
    I tried to get a quote from my insurer, and they say they have no information on 2002 cars. When the car actually arrives, they are going to have to come up with something, but it may be temporary until next year when they properly rate the 2002 cars. I assume if you were willing to wait a few days your company might come up with a quote for you. Talk to your agent. (I can't be bothered; the insurance will be what it will be.) In terms of shopping around with other companies, I wouldn't bother until your next renewal, or at least until you have bought a car and they see that they might really get your business.

Nomi
  • nikecarnikecar Member Posts: 460
    tocan Jun 2, 2001 2:00pm

I've seen 4 commericals on the car... and I saw it in person.. whooohooo.. looks nice. man I'm jealous of all the new car folks here.. I want one!!!! waaaaaaa
  • nomiosnomios Member Posts: 6
    I went with netinsurance http://www.netinsurance.com

Got a great deal with CSE. $340.00 every 6 months.

They didnt have any 2002 models, but I just told them it was basicly an 2001 ES with a hatchback...They were cool about it, very easy to work with.
    My salesperson said their buyer flew to California to bid on it at auction. Sounds like a nice job. Fly around to different states, buy exotics and maybe even drive them home (I'm sure they trucked the Ferrari back). The thought of driving a Ferrari from California to Minnesota while collecting a salary sounds pretty good to me.

-Terry
  • brocktoon2brocktoon2 Member Posts: 1
    Hi:

I have been thinking about getting the P5 or a 1.8l Golf as a second car. Took a test drive of the mazda yesterday and was extremely disappointed. In truth I think something must a' been wrong with the car because it was far from being the peppy car 130 horses promise. I was really having trouble keeping up with traffic! I have owned some low horsepower cars before (let's see: Triumph Spit Fire, VW Fox, Honda Prelude 1.8 carb, Chev S-10... all well under 100 horses) but I have NEVER felt a car so unwilling to rev! But then again, I test drove a Ford (mazda) Probe several years ago and recall coming away with the same feeling.

Here's what I felt:

neutral - big time vibrations in the wheel, shifter
    Idle-1600rpm - engine bog
    1600-4000 rpm - power coming on, revs climbing (but slowly)
    4000-4750rpm - car would not rev over this, "seemed out of breath" or overly retarded timing

The salesman said this is the way all Protoges felt! and told me I needed a cold air intake for "10% more horsepower". Car was warm (just came back from another T/D) and had 400km on the clock. Car was 5 speed.

I like the car, but I can't buy it if it's like that. Any ideas? Wrong gas? Tight engine? Computer problem? Firing on 3 cylinders? No check engine lights were on.

Any insight would be appreciated.

Brocktoon
  • theritz2theritz2 Member Posts: 5
    Am seeing some talk about P5 roof racks... We've got a new Red P5 (first one bought in Austin, TX) with the racks installed. The bag with the roof rack plugs was in the cargo. However, nobody at the dealership could tell us how to remove the racks and install the plugs. Had six salesmen trying to do so on their floor demo (using a phillips screwdriver on the crossbars), but they never figured it out!!! Don't want to cause damage to the new car, so does anyone have any experience in pulling the racks off and replacing with the plugs? The owner's manual that came with the car doesn't mention it at all. Any help in that regard would be appreciated. Thanks!
    To anyone considering getting a P5. I too was VERY interested in a P5 until i decided to look up on the Ford Mustang V6 Coupe. I found for the same price as the P5 (give or take $1000) you can get the same features on a Ford Mustang V6 Coupe. The only difference is instead of getting a 2.0L 4cyl 130hp engine, you get a impresive 3.8L 6cyl 193hp engine. I think this car is well worth looking into.
  • hkchanhkchan Member Posts: 420
    "The only difference is instead of getting a 2.0L 4cyl 130hp engine, you get a impresive 3.8L 6cyl 193hp engine."
    That's highly debatable. Protege5 vs Mustang V6 Coupe. 99%+ of the people reading this board would get a laugh out of that. I'll go as far as considering the comparison absurd.
  • pocmonsterpocmonster Member Posts: 15
    the engine is not the only thing you pay for in a car.
    is not the only thing you pay for in a car, thats what makes the v6 mustang so appealing. For under $20,000 (US) you can get it fully loaded including:
    -Air Conditioning
    -Anti-theft system
    -16" Bright Alloy wheels
    -In-Dash 6-CD changer
    -ABS
    -Traction Control
    -Leather Seats + Steering wheel
    And MUCH, MUCH more.
    is not as high as you would think, the V6 is not listed as a sports car (although it obviously is), only the V8+ mustangs are listed as sports cars.
  • atatuatatu Member Posts: 12
    You'll own a Ford, and many of us have vowed to never own another Ford. Yes, I know about Ford and Mazda, but the p5 is made in Japan, it's a Mazda.....
    Thats the difference between me and u, i wount let the company making the car get in the way of me purchasing the most for my dollar (and im canadain so i have to spend my dollar wisely.) And ive read reviews saying the Mustang V6 is very reliable and almost aced its safety tests.
  • rsparrowrsparrow Member Posts: 60
    They're completely different cars!!! One's a 4 door hatchback, the other is a base 2-door. Most people looking at a p5 aren't looking at a Mustang, regardless of price. You're comparing apples and oranges here...
  • vocusvocus Member Posts: 7,777
    I own a 2001 Protege ES, and have been waiting for a couple weeks to check out the P5 in person. Well, I went to Rich Morton Mazda in Pasadena, Md. and they had one P5 in silver with automatic. I only asked to sit in it, since it has the same mechanicals and all as the ES I have already put 7200 miles on (and still love). It's the exact same inside as my ES is, right down to the comfortable driver's seat. I opened the stylish hatch, and surprise! The cargo area only was a small bit bigger than the sedan's already-roomy trunk. Also, even with the back seats down, it didn't seem like there was that much more cargo room in it. I was disappointed that I didn't wait for the P5 before, but now it seems like I didn't miss out on much. Don't get me wrong. I LOVE my ES dearly, from its power to room to fuel economy (consistently average 26 mpg with a heavy foot and automatic). But I expected more of a cargo hauler.
  • protegextwoprotegextwo Member Posts: 1,265
    PLEASE CALL 911, I'M LAUGHING TO DEATH!

-LARRY
    but mazda made the P5 to appeal to "young males" and set it at a price "young males" could afford, these "young males" are who my message is directed towards. Many young males think the P5 is as close to that sporty look and feel that they can afford, i just wanted to let those "young males" know that you dont have to spend what seems like a million dollars to get a relatively high performance sport car.
  • maltbmaltb Member Posts: 3,572
    ...I'd see the day when someone would tell me how great a Ford 3.8L engine is. There are numerous problems with that engine.

And as far as a mustang goes, my question is: Do you only drive in a straight line? The fun factor of the Protege is far greater than the Mustang.

Maybe some Sunday evening when I have absolutely nothing to do, I'll go to the mustang board and tell them how great the Protege DX is.

:)
    You obviously havent driven a Mustang if your going to say its not as fun to drive. You can just feel the power (espicailly with the stick shift) and handling is sweet with the traction control. The P5 wouldnt stand a chance in the fun cateogory either.
  • handydoghandydog Member Posts: 19
    While I do think that comparing the protege 5 with a mustang is a matter of comparing apples and oranges (mustang, 2 doors, limited rear seat, rwd, no hatch), the mustang guy does have a point. If you do not need the particular features offered on the P5, but are just looking for a good,fun to drive, affordable car, there are a lot of options at or below the price of a P5. In particular, you can get some great deals on Acura Integras and Nissan Altimas, not to mention Protege sedans, which are selling at price significantly under a P5.
  • maltbmaltb Member Posts: 3,572
    You are right! If I wanted only certain features, I'd build a racing kart!

And to oosmpoo: What does traction control do for handling? Is it some genie in a bottle that makes a poor performing car magically stick to the road, keeping it level and providing the right amount of feedback? Time to go back to car basics 101.

:)
  • vocusvocus Member Posts: 7,777
    I have a 2001 Protege ES, had a 1999 Protege DX, and also test drove many, many cars before making my decision to buy a second Protege. One of the cars I drove was a Mustang GT automatic. The car had phenominal power. That was about it though. The view out was cluttered, the interior felt claustrophobic, there was hardly any sound insulation, and the seats were very uncomfortable. Four strikes and you're way out. And just to clarify your "young males" thing, I am 22. I prefer the Protege. Case closed.
  • davidb72davidb72 Member Posts: 174
    I have a Miata, and I have a Ford Ranger. Tell you what, you take the P5 and I'll take the V6 Mustang and we'll go to an autocross. I'll embarass you every time. There is nothing wrong with the Mustang's handling. It's not a silly front wheel drive understeering econobox so you have to be a little more involved. There isn't anything wrong with Ford quality either, my Ranger has 111,000 miles on it and I haven't had any problems. It's no racer, 2.3L Supercab, 5 speed, but it starts up and takes me to work every morning. If you are so convinced of the Japanese superiority in building vehicles, I'm sure it applies elsewhere in their society too, maybe you should move to Hiroshima or Nagasaki or wherever the heck they build those things... LOL!!!!
  • jstandeferjstandefer Member Posts: 805
    I too test drove the Mustang V6 and GT before I bought my ES sedan (was 23yo). The Mustang is great in a straight line, but that's about it. The Mustang is definitely not a very happy car in the twisties. You really had to watch that rear end, especially with its live-axle hop on rough pavement. It never felt very stable and it certainly is not tossable.

The shifter has a terribly long throw and has a very clunky feel to the whole thing. It did not make shifting very fun--more of a chore. The 3.8L engine is certainly not a model of refinement and power delivery is great in the low-end, but diminishes as the revs rise. Freeway passing power was pitiful for such high power ratings. Ride quality was decent, but I would expect either better handling for its ride harshness, or a luxury ride for its handling ability, but alas, one gets a harsh ride and poor handling.

The interior is poorly executed with limited visibility, tiny back seats, and a small trunk. Unrefined is the word of the day when it comes to the Mustang. The front seats were terribly uncomfortable and the gauges ridiculously small.

I'm sorry, but the fun-to-drive factor would go to the Protege. Sure, the Protege won't win any drag races, but when the road gets twisty, the Mustang loses and loses big. The Cobra with its independent rear suspension would be a bit different... The automotive press doesn't call the Mustang the best handling car to come from Ford. That honor goes to the Contour and the Focus... both of which the Protege can easily outperform...
    I'd be willing to bet money that a V6 Mustang could easily beat a Protege (5 or not) at an autocross, and it doesn't get any twistier than that... You'd think a Miata would be the perfect autoX car, and mine is great, but I still get beat by Corvettes, Mustang GT, and assorted F bodies. Why? Torque! These guys just slam down the loud pedal and power through the corners, then fly down the short straights. There is a guy in my region that runs a ZX3 and is extremely smooth. He does well, wins his class regularly, but his times can't compare to a well driven GT or F body. And as far as a Protege outhandling a Focus or a Contour??? The Contour maybe, but the Focus has won many accolades for handling, I wouldn't be so sure...

Aside.... I do think that there will be very few people cross shopping a P5 and a Mustang V6 for one simple reason, FWD vs. RWD. RWD is too much of a pain up north here in the winter. I had snow tires and 600 lbs of sand in my Ranger this past winter and was still all over the place. FWD wins out easily in this respect, and makes a lot more sense for the majority of people...
  • pocahontaspocahontas Member Posts: 802
    of our Town Hall Terms of Use.

To those concerned: please be careful about the language you use in our Town Hall discussions. Profanity, and derogatory racial references, will be automatically deleted. If you notice that your post has been deleted, please check your email. You will be sent a copy of the message, along with the details, and an opportunity to re-edit. Thanks for your participation.

Pocahontas
    Host
    Hatchbacks/Station Wagons Message Boards
  • jstandeferjstandefer Member Posts: 805
    ...get into this discussion anyways? Does the Mustang compete with the Protege5? No. The Mustang is a sports coupe while the Protege5 is an economy-wagon. One has two doors while the other has 4... The good majority of buyers looking at the Protege5 will not be looking at a Mustang.

Will a Mustang GT win an autocross event against a Protege? Sure, of course it will. How much does a Mustang GT cost? Around $24k? A Protege? Around $16k? For the difference of $8k, I could modify a Protege to destroy a Mustang GT in an autocross event! How about a Protege5 vs. Focus Wagon in an autocross event? Now that's more of a fair comparison, one which I'm sure the Protege5 would win!

Focus handling vs. Protege handling? Well, in Car and Driver's Small Cars comparison test, the Protege gained 1st place honors, specifically for it's handling and driving ability. The Focus came in third, behind the Sentra.
    I for one will just ignore David and O-Poo. No need to get worked up over posts, we know are nonsensical. If no one responds to them, they WILL go away sooner or later. Who wants to get the dreaded Poco E-Mail? Not me!!! :-)

Respectfully and Agreeable,
    Larry (like malty, a Pro-5 lover!)
    BTW, you make excellent points. Your "how did we" post, put this subject to rest for me. Nice job.

-Larry
  • tmundartmundar Member Posts: 70
    Whether a car is able to beat another in an autocross depends largely on how the course is set up, and the drivers of the cars. I was just looking at some times from a recent autocross from my local Porsche club, and there were several early 1970's 914s (with around a whopping 100 HP) with better times than a 2000 996 (a.k.a. 911) (with around 300 HP).

Could we give this topic a rest? It would make more sense to compare the P5 to my 1994 Saab (which at least has the correct number of doors) than a base 2001 Mustang. Why don't we bring in comparisons to the 2001 Toyota Celica while we're at it? At least the Celica has a hatchback.

Tom
  • SporinSporin Member Posts: 1,066
    Edmunds list the Pro5's competitors as ...

Volkswagen Jetta GLS 4dr Wagon

Suzuki Esteem GLX 4dr Wagon

Subaru Impreza TS AWD 4dr Sport Wagon

Saturn S-Series SW2 4dr Wagon

Ford Focus SE 4dr Sedan

I would also add the Volkswagen Golf 4 door.

Outside of that, the lines get blurry. But no matter how I squint, i still don't see a Mustang in the mix.

Add the Elantra GT (just available) and the Ford Focus ZX5 (not yet).
    on paper you can include the Suzuki.. real world though...... *grin*
  • tmundartmundar Member Posts: 70
    Have you driven the Suzuki? I was surprised with how much I liked the Suzuki when I test drove it. I thought that it would end up on the bottom of my list, but it really ended up somewhere in the middle. I drove the sedan instead of the wagon, though.

Tom

P.S. You can also add the Kia Spectra, and Daewoo Nubira Wagon to the competitor list. I didn't really like either, but my taste in cars is far from the mainstream. I had narrowed my list down to the Mazda Protege5, Nissan Sentra SE, and the Hyundai Elantra GT, but then I decided to look at used cars, and the rest is history. :)
  • aardvark_markaardvark_mark Member Posts: 95
    regarding post #466, my dealer as well didn't know how to take off the roof rack and was afraid to mess with it in the showroom.. Any p5 owners out there have successfully removed the roof rack?

Thanks -Mark
    i haven't driven the Suzuki... everyone I've known that had one complain.

And I've gone on record as not liking the Nubira. if the wagon handles like the car... ugh.
    Don't you like the roof rack?

-Larry
    I posted a few reasons why I thought the Mustang was a pretty good car and all of a sudden you're ignoring me??? LOL!!! I guess that's one way to go through life, just bury your head in the sand every time someone upsets your idea of how things should be... I also posted some reasons why I thought the Mustang probably wouldn't be cross shopped by P5 buyers. I think I presented a pretty open minded outlook on the issue. Can you say the same???
    "If you are so convinced of the Japanese superiority in building vehicles, I'm sure it applies elsewhere in their society too, maybe you should move to Hiroshima or Nagasaki or wherever the heck they build those things... LOL!!!!"
    Is it anti-America to think Japanese cars are built better? Should people who prefer German-engineered cars go live in Germany?
    If the Ford Ranger is reliable, can you name vehicles that not reliable?
  • aardvark_markaardvark_mark Member Posts: 95
    the roof rack is very cool.. but I'd at least like the option of taking it off.. besides I ordered my p5 with a moonroof.. I'm guessing the rack might get in the way of my stargazing :)

ciao
This discussion has been closed.