Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mazda Protege5

Comments

• reitrofreitrof Member Posts: 122
    is 9.2. They tend to use normal shifting, not speed shifting so the time could be less.
  • bartolomeo2bartolomeo2 Member Posts: 4
    thanx for ALL the info. been very helpful.
  • bluong1bluong1 Member Posts: 1,927
    about 6 months ago I used the yellow touch paint to cover few small chips on the hood after washing the car and shaking the little bottle. Now the touch paint turns into orange and doesn't match any more well the original yellow color. Anyone experiences the same? What did I do wrong?

Bruno
  • mazdafunmazdafun Member Posts: 2,329
    Better let Mazda NA know.

I notice the sunrise red on my sedan's touch-up paint doesn't match the baked-on paint from the factory.

Since they're different formulations, it's pretty hard to hit an exact match. As you've witnessed, they will weather differently too, especially with exposure to UV radiation. UV inhibitors (basically, they either reflect or absorb UV light) can lessen this effect, but not eliminate it. You might try polishing those areas as the color change may be only "skin deep."
    I first though the color change is due to contamination with chemistry in the air (C0, C02, humidity, ...) before the paint get completely dry, but UV rays are definitively a suspect.
    I've had to remove and reapply touch-up paint after about 2 years. Small spots tend to pop out a small spot in the center. Larger areas develop a number of small cracks throughout.

Just goes to show that no paint we can put on is nearly as tough as the paint they can bake-on at the plant.

I'm sure that airborne contaminants figure into it as well. I'm just glad I don't work down-wind of a chemical plant. I bet those people get new cars more frequently due to the damage to the paint and exposed metal parts on them.
    >>>I bet those people [who live down-wind of a chemical plant] get new cars more frequently due to the damage to the paint and exposed metal parts on them.<<<

good point, especially if they don't wash and wax regularly the car.

Bruno
  • iamziamz Member Posts: 542
    My touched up spots (yellow also) have not turned orange over time. The UV rays in Minnesota might not be as intense as you get down your way Bluong1. Aren't you in Texas?
    How easy is it to remove the front calipers on our P5s? One of my rotors is warped and I need to replace them.
    Terry wrote: >>Aren't you in Texas?<<

Right on!!! ;-)

Bruno
    Bellow is the old post from Finn who described how to remove the calipers for painting. Hope it helps.

Bruno

>>>praying the calipers is easy. You will have to jack the car up 4 times unless you can manage to get more than 1 wheel of the ground and get the car onto stands. Here is what I did:

1) Loosen lugnuts on tire you are going to remove.
    2) Block opposite corner tire.
    3) Jack car up so the wheel is off the ground. I use a hydraulic jack and then I use the standard jack as a backup in case the hydraulic one were to fail (I don't have jack stands).
    4) Remove tire.
    5) Lay out some cardboard or plastic underneath the car to catch any drips.
    6) You can clean and sand the caliper if you want. Since the car was so new I just wiped the caliper down with damp paper towels and then dried it.
    6) Put some masking tape in the holes in the caliper (kind of a pain) and a little underneath the caliper where the disc is.
    7) Take a whole bunch of plastic bags (like the kind you get from the grocery store or trash bags) and tape them around the wheel well behind the caliper and just under the caliper (it should cover the whole disc). I put the bags all around the back of the caliper so they even covered the rubber portion on the rear of the caliper. Isolate that caliper as best as you can!
    8) Get close and apply the paint. Use short strokes carefully spraying so as not to create a cloud that blows all over. Be sure to work in a well ventilated area. After applying a coat I positioned a fan to blow on it. After it dried (usually <30 minutes) I'd then apply another coat or two filling in the parts that the paint doesn't fill as best I can (there will be these small parts).
    9) Once its dry and you are satisfied, Remove bags and tape and put the tire back on and repeat.

The first time you drive the car just be careful in case you got any overspray on the brake disc itself. You really shouldn't have if you masked it well but any that you did have will come right off the first time you brake (just like the rust always does).

I did two a night. The paint is easy to find and should be at most autostores. I don't remember the name right now but its in a silver can, is 500 degree resistant and comes in a wide range of colors. I think the red I just applied was Ford Red (ha!). It was a close match to the strut tower brace. I applied a more crimson like Universal Red to my 1991 Toyota Mr2 Turbo like 3 years ago and it still looks great to this day, even with infrequent autox'ing which heats the brakes up.
    -Finn<<<
    ....but it looks like Finn never actually removed the calipers. In any case I pulled the calipers off myself just now. Very easy. You just remove 2 17 mm bolts.

So my next question is; Is the rotor held on by rust, or do I need to remove the axle nut? I couldn't tell where the rotor ends, and the hub begins, because of the rust.
  • maltbmaltb Member Posts: 3,572
    Just rust. Only the lug nuts hold the rotor on but you need to remove the caliper before you can remove the rotor.
    That's the answer I was hoping for. :)
  • mnkyboymnkyboy Member Posts: 108
    Its that easy to remove the calipers? Just (2) bolts? I thought it was attached to other components. I want to paint my calipers, but I was thinking about just painting them with a brush. If all I have to do is take the calipers off with (2) bolts, i guess ill do that. Is there a certain way you have to put them back on? What should I be careful for when removing the calipers?
  • thelthel Member Posts: 767
    Local Mazda dealer has a used P5. Silver, AT, moonroof, polished wheels. Don't know the miles but it appears to be in great condition, no paint chips or anything in the front fascia. Does an offer of $13,000 sound in the ball park? Any dealers out there?

On a semi-related note. Does anyone know what the current incentives are on the 2002 Protege sedans. The Mazda website says 0% for 48 months for the 2003's but doesn't say anything about the 02's. The local dealer has a seabreeze green one with a moonroof and spoiler that looks pretty sharp.
  • shriqueshrique Member Posts: 338
    Anybody have bad experiences with the service department at Morries Mazda in MN? They recently had my car for warranty work and managed to take a big gouge out of my airdam in the process. The service manager basically told me that I was lying to him and that He wouldn't give me a loaner but would fix the car.

I'm going to post this in the Protege board as well.
  • audia8qaudia8q Member Posts: 3,138
    You can offer anything you want but I think your number is low...I tried buying two P5's with sport shift, moonroof, chrome wheels and 6500 miles yesterday and they turned down $14K at the auction...remember, that does not include the dealer mark up.
    Sorry about your air dam. Make sure they do a decent job fixing it up.

You can always write the dealership's customer service manager a note.

They're fixing the problem they caused. Too bad they're not going the extra step to minimize your inconvenience.
    For that money I would think it would be better to buy a new one and get the 0% financing. They don't sell many of them around here. The local dealer still has some pre-refresh relics on the lot in colors I don't want.

Audia8q, do you know what, if any incentives are available for the '02 Protege sedans?
  • waydewayde Member Posts: 198
    Has a $2,000 rebate to dealer... My best friend just bought a 2002 ES sedan (white)... and I have a white P5. So, now we kinda have matching cars. Funny to get into hers and feel like I'm in mine :)
    FYI - the rebate to dealer is not advertised - my salesman told us about it (he's great... Morries Mazda in Mpls, his name is Pete).
    I was looking at an 02 off the lot with an invoice price of say $15,000 would it be possible to get it for $13,000 AND get the 0% or is 0% not offered on the 02's at all? Thanks!
    I'm going to paint my calipers also when I put the new rotors on.

The only thing difficult was that the brake line interfered with the upper bolt when trying to fit the socket wrench over it. I had to use a little WD-40 to loosen the bolts (watch your knuckles ;).
    Your going to want to have some way of hanging the caliper once the bolts are out so you don't end up damaging your brake line (coat hanger wire might work). Crank the steering all the way to the left for better access to the drivers side caliper before jacking up the car. Crank your steering to the right for the passenger side.

When you put everything back together make sure you clean any debris off the smooth mating surfaces of the caliper and mount.

Good luck.
    THEL...

There is NO zero percent financing on 2002. It was discontinued on 10/14/02...You waited too long!!!

The program now offers $2000 customer cash as Wayde mentioned.

Rich
    Its not about waiting and waiting for the grass to get greener. I've been considering a 3rd vehicle for about 5 days now. I'm not even sure I want a sedan. I was just curious as to what was being offered on 02's to get rid of them.
    Anybody know of an accessory for the 00-02 Proteges for a rear cup holder that attaches to the end of the center console?

Thanks
    Bruce
  • ashutoshsmashutoshsm Member Posts: 1,007
    Look aftermarket, or see if (using 'other' protege info sources) you can hunt down this Japanese website that sold just such an accessory - although after conversion, it costs something like USD300!
  • defarverdefarver Member Posts: 1
    Is anyone else experiencing an engine knock or rattle at about 2300 rpm, when you first start out in the morning, even in warm weather?
    The dealer tells me that they are aware of this problem, but it isn't hurting anything.
    I believe when you hear a metallic knock, things are going wrong.
    I am also experiencing a problem when you start out. The transmission acts like you are starting in second gear. It used to snap your neck when you punched it from a light, but now it is starting one gear up. The dealer tells me that we have a learning transmission. Sounds like bull to me!
  • protege_fanprotege_fan Member Posts: 2,405
    They have them here in Canada. Goto www.protegeclub.com..there's info there on them, including price.
    Sounds like you have the death rattle...it has to do w/ the VTCS or something like that....to reduce emissions at startup.
  • dsm6dsm6 Member Posts: 813
    Here's some info on the cold engine rattle:

Category: B Piston Engine
    Repair Reference # 3562
    Subject: 2.0L Engine noise with cold coolant temp
    ALL 2.0L between 2001-2002 are affected
    Customer may experience an engine rattle under light to moderate acceleration with engine coolant temps below 149 deg F and engine rpm's between 1500 to 2500.
    Confirm noise only occurs within the VTCS ( Variable Tumble Control System) operation "valve closed" period (when ECT is below 149 deg F)
    This noise is currently believed to be the result of the timing between VTCS plates "opening", and the ignition spark advanc command. This is an operating characteristic of this engine and no repair attempts should be made. Although the noise is present only during cold start up and disappears once the engine coolant reaches 149 degrees F, Mazda realizes that it is an annyance to some customers and its engineers are investigating possible countermeasures in an effort to address customer satisfaction.

As for the tranny problem, sounds like the dealer is feeding you bull. I don't have an auto, so don't know for sure, but I sure don't remember anything about a learning tranny on the pro. Did this piece of info come from a dealer or a service rep?
    I have heard this mentioned before. Something about the computer monitoring your driving habits and adjusting the automatics shift points to your individual driving style. I don't know if it's fact or fiction.
  • jmessjmess Member Posts: 677
    Disconnect the battery for 10 minutes and the computer will have to start in the 1st grade again.

The car shouldn't start out in 2nd gear no matter how smart it is. I don't think the P5 has a snow mode for the auto; generally snow mode would have the car start out in 2nd gear.
    One of my "local" Mazda dealers has an 03 Vivid Yellow with only floor mats. I would like to have a cd-changer which I can get from Mazda. I would also like some other accesories but the main thing I would like to have that would be "difficult" to add on is a moonroof. I suppose I could simply wait around for one to show up like I want (handshaker, moonroof, cd-changer), but I may be open to an aftermarket moonroof. Does anyone have any input as to an aftermarket moonroof?

Also, are there any incentives out for the 03's yet? The Mazda webiste only has info on the 03 sedans and the MPV.
    You can't add a factory style retractable moon-roof. All you can do is have a shop add a pop-up. I would just wait or do a search for what you want on http://www.mazdausa.com
    when I was shopping for my Pro5, dealer wanted to sale me a silver one without moonroof. I told them that there is no question I have a car without moonroof. The salesman told me that they can install an aftermarkett one for the same price than the factory option. I was a little concern about the installation as it could leak if they haven't done correctly.

I couldn't tell you more because I finally bought a yellow one with factory moonroof.

BTW, I prefer a moonroof having a one-touch button and the two buttons swap their places (or combine to one), but it's not really a big deal.

Bruno
    Cross-posted in the Pro Sedans board....

Here's the thread I was talking about:

http://www.protegeclub.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=13536

Here's a snip from a useful post:

The rear cup holders are not, I repeat not $130.00. They can be had for $59.00 CDN. at any dealership in Canada. That would mean $40.00 U.S. It is a 2003 part. Unfortunately it's only available in Canada in Black.

retractable moonroofs can be added...We do it several times a month. In some cases it's even the same brand as the factory installed roof with a longer warranty agaisnt leakage and defects.

Alot of the roofs we have added include more features than the factory roof...like being able to close it with the key in the door and remote..
    what does it cost to add one? Are you using Hollandia roofs?
    depends on the features and size the customer wants.. install is usually around 975. The brands are usually Hollandia and webesto.

I prefer the factory roof because of price but sometimes consumers want a roof in a non roof car and these have been good for us.
    Protege_Fan

Can you get the part number in Canada?

Thanks
    Bruce
    If I get some time today I'll call and ask about it.
    Thanks.
  • vilainefemmevilainefemme Member Posts: 49
    Has anybody found that their CD player is very touchy when it comes to a bumpy road? Just within the past week or so my CD player skips a whole lot. It is a very crappy road (Milwaukee's I-894) and I am mostly playing a burned CD (no scratches) or a store-bought CD (small number of scratches). I thought it might be moisture from leaving the CD in the player over night, so I wiped it straight across to dry it off. That helped a tiny bit for the store-bought CD, but not for the other one. I've been too lazy to check the results from other CDs, but I'm curious to see if this has happened to anybody else.
    I mostly listen to burned CDs in the car. It skips occasionally over big bumps but I think it's still normal. Mine is 21.6k miles.

Bruno
    On the way back from my recent camping/biking trip (300 miles one way), I was cruising around 90mph on Hwy I-10, west of Houston. There were a bmw-330 and Porches 928 which went at about the same speed. I had no problem what-so-ever to keep up with them, even when passing at 100mph is required. Who say this thing is underpowered? It's certainly enough zippy for me.

Bruno
    I think the buffer will help with occasional bumps and short periods of rough road. A lot of bumps back-to-back for prolonged periods will defeat any CD player as the period of skipping exceeds the amount of memory buffer the player has.
  • kizehkizeh Member Posts: 15
    Mine (single CD player) skips and stutters on most burned CDs even when I'm standing still. Never had trouble with real CDs, even when going over railroad tracks or potholey roads.
  • mnkyboymnkyboy Member Posts: 108
    I religously keep track of my MPG every tank. Here is a list since I got my P5

Notice the higest I ever got was 31.3. That was the only time I ever drove my car out of town. These figures are on 87 OCTANE.

My P5 is a stock, manual tranny, with a K&N drop in filter. I installed the K&N filter on 8-8-02.

I drive about 98% city.

Does these numbers look ok? Should I bring my car in to get something checked out?

http://members.cox.net/mazdaprotege5/MPG.gif

Of course, your mileage will vary depending on how you accelerate, stop, how much stop-n-go driving you experience, hilliness etc.
This discussion has been closed.