Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Volvo C70

Comments

• tmarttmart Member Posts: 2,233
    Otis, sorry to hear you've left the group. What did you get as a replacement? Opps, sorry, one can't replace a C70. Also, how did you get 28mpg? :confuse: Most I can get is around 25 :( Around town 16, and I've got the LPT!
  • otisotis Member Posts: 12
    tmart,
    In order to lower our monthly payments about $150, we bought an 05 Mazda6 hatch with the V6/5-speed setup. Now if I could just cram the steel roof into the trunk...
    Funy you should ask about the mpg, as I have always been happy with the C70 LPT numbers. We really don't do any dedicated city driving, so my low of 23 mpg is for mixed driving (city/hiway) and I was able to do that the whole 2 years I had it. I got 28.4 mpg on my drive from GA to NJ but I did have the top up and windows closed for all but 2 hours of that. I would not have been happy with 16 ever...you're not in 3rd gear that whole time are you? Ha ha. I'll be checking back here after the new C70 comes out to see just how great it is.
  • gholbygholby Member Posts: 2
    Need advice on buying a 2004 C70 conv. by gholby Nov 08, 2005 (3:21 pm)
    a friend is offering me his 2004 Volvo C70 11,700 miles. Silver with blue top, perfect condition - $28,000 - what he could get as a trade in.

Is this a fair price?

Thanks

Gard
  • volvomaxvolvomax Member Posts: 5,238
    Good price if it is an HT conv.
    Fair if it is an LT conv.
  • stevekanestevekane Member Posts: 1
    brought my 2000 c70 in for yearly inspection (in nyc) to a local mechanic shop. they hooked it up to the diagnostic computer and it passed no problem. as i was leaving, all of a sudden, the car seemed to have a transmission problem. i would step on the gas and it just wouldn't go or should i say it went extremely slow as if i had the clutch in on a manual shift (this one is automatic). putting it in 2nd or 3rd gear was not much better. say 0-60 in 25 seconds not kidding. the place claimed they had no idea what was wrong "that they hadn't done anything" and that it must be a lingering transmission problem that "coincidently" just happened! ever heard of this. could the inspections computer done this...or thrown off the cars computer for the transmission? thanks for your help.
    Steve,
    My sister-in-law had a tranny problem just like that, but her car was an Infinity I30 (a late 90's model). She had it come and go over the course of a month and didn't like the fact that you could be dangerous in fast moving traffic as well as annoying starting out from a light. She was worried the trans was failing, but when I drove in her car I felt it was some kind of elestronic controller (to the trans). As it turned out, I was right. The trans wasn't "self destructing" - it wasn't rough sounding or driving, it was just not getting the signal to downshift out of top gear properly. Since there was no warranty left she had to get the work done at her own cost buy it wasn't more than $200 I think. If your car is turning the proper RPMs at 50 MPH (for the C70 about 1,800-2,000 RPMs) I would bet this is the same type of problem and not likely caused by an Emmisions Diagnostic Computer. Good luck.
  • chiqui1chiqui1 Member Posts: 1
    i own a 98 volvo c70 and was quite happy with it, until one day suddenly my car stopped suddenly, i had driven the car for a long time after the car cooled down it run again, this is an ongoing problem I had the transmission oil replaced the filter, but the problem persists. help help help!
  • qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,891
    how exactly did it stop? Did the engine stop? or did the car stop and the engine revved freely while the car was in gear?

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• vennyovennyo Member Posts: 2
    I have been using 205/55R-16 94H Proxes TPT All Seasons Blackwall tires (Toyo) for two yers now on my C70 convert. and have had very good performance from them. They are $131. at Les Schwab.

Vennyo
  • vennyovennyo Member Posts: 2
    Saw the new retractable hardtop C70 in the 2006 Seattle Auto Show. They would not operate the top and would not let me see how much trunk space there was. A nice looking car but does the top have problems....hmmm? I like the looks of the older style C70. Not so "Volvo" looking.

Vennyo
    I could see them not wanting to operate it because then EVERYONE would want to see it go up and down and they would wear the poor thing out.

They should, however, have had 2 there, one with the top up and one with it down. Maybe at the bigger auto shows?

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

The cars that you are seeing are pre-production cars.
    The are mostly handbuilt and not as robust as the finished product.
    Wait till the dealer cars arrive and then see how nice the top truly is.
    It is a waaaayyyyy better car than the old one.
  • cabluvrcabluvr Member Posts: 2
    My 98 LT convertible is acting strangely. I can be driving along and the following sequence happens. The BRAKE and ABS idiot lights come on; the odometers go blank; the speedometer goes dead; the automatic tranny acts like it is Wet weather mode. This can go on for a matter of seconds to minutes. It usually repeats the sequence multiple times during the drive.

Any others with this experience? What did you find to be the problem? Thanks.
  • hawk6hawk6 Member Posts: 1
    This is the first time I have been to this page, so I guess I'll start off with a bang. I own a RED '02 C70 Coupe. Picked it up in Sweden and drove it all over the autobahns of Germany (and the rest of Europe)for just under 3 years. :P I believe it may be the last production coupe off the assembly line. Volvo stopped making the coupe in July '02 and I didn't pick it up until Sep '02 (something I'm trying to look in to). Anyway, I can't believe it when I read that some of you are driving your C70's on all season tires :cry: . My car came with Michelin Pilot series Z rated summer tires. 225/35ZR17.. I firmly believe that the Swede's meant for this car to be driven with summer tires (as do most european sports car manufacturers). I have sense had to replace the Michelin tires as the wore rapidly to the outside (dealership said that had been a problem with that particular tire) I now have Dunlop Sport 9000S 235/35ZR17 and I love them. They are the most sure footed tires I have driven on. Dry surface or wet. No problems. Of course the draw back to the summer tire is that you must have winter tires also (especially if you get snow). I have mine on right now. Anyway, I just think you are degrading the performance of the car by putting on the all season. But I guess if you just want to keep the old Volvo "safety first, family oriented, granny car" reputation alive, even with their sports car that was meant to be in your face power, PERFORMANCE, luxury and beauty (all in one), then keep ridin' on the all season.
    BTW, I'm at 37K on my '02, every mile has been mine and I still LOVE IT!! Volvo For Life!!
    One last shot.. Doesn't the '06 C70 look like the S40?? What's with that??
    IIRC, All seasons are the standard tire with 16 inch wheels. That would seem reasonably considering the Swedish winters. My summers,225/45ZR17, were optional.

The '06 is built on the S40 platform. and now all the looks are similar. I personally liked the distinctness of the C70 version 1. From the windshield back nothing was like it.
    The '06 is built on the S40 platform. and now all the looks are similar. I personally liked the distinctness of the C70 version 1. From the windshield back nothing was like it.

-You can say that about the new C70, from the windshield back.
    The old C70 had the S70 front end,w/ a different bumper.
  • hogwild1961hogwild1961 Member Posts: 26
    I bought my c70 new dec 1998...it now has 186k on the speedometer..no problems..still looks brand new get lots of compliments..I have used mobil 1 oil and changed the trans fluid every 7500 miles..I guess it paid off..Volvo for Life!!!! :)
  • vallarta1vallarta1 Member Posts: 1
    Thinking about buying a C70. Have been looking at the 3 series BMW for some time and never really considered a volvo. Would like to hear from C70 owners to get an idea of the dependability of this car. Any input would be greatly appreciated!
  • apolloc70apolloc70 Member Posts: 13
    hi all,
    i have a 98 T5. and one of the headlights burnt out tonight, its the first time it happened in 4 years...
    i find the bulbs i had didnt project well, it doesnt give me enough visibility (compared to my sister's S60)

can anyone suggest any bulbs that would go well on a C70, (considering im looking for road visibility)

much thanks
    abe
    Well, i can suggest to stay away from the Phillips. I bought a set of those for my S70 and they burnt out within a few months. So I went back to stock and just installed an aftermarket set of driving lights instead.

I would suggest trying out the Sylvania Silverstars. I put a set in another car of mine and it improved brightness quite a bit. Unfortunately, I sold the car a couple of months later, so I can't tell you if they would last or not.

• natpt71natpt71 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2000 C70 with the exact set of problems you have listed. We have replaced/repaired speed sensor, ignition switch and connector plate, ground wires and alternator to no avail. Have you had any success with repairing your problem?
    Sincerely, Mike
  • traderagtraderag Member Posts: 8
    I am thinking of buying an aftermarket extended warranty for my C70. Has anyone here bought one that you were happy with the coverage? I have one in mind (suggested by a volvo repair shop here) but want to see if other owners have had any experiences.

Thanks!
  • ClairesClaires Member Posts: 1,222
    Hi, traderag,

You might also want to talk with the folks in the Smart Shopper Forums Warranty Discussions

Need help getting around? claires@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

Tell everyone about your buying experience: Write a Dealer Review

• cabluvrcabluvr Member Posts: 2
    No, I have done nothing since the problem is more of a nuisance than a deterent to driving. I am thinking it is a sensor or controller issue. Having your laundry list of what it is not is helpful when I do talk to Volvo. I wish I had better news for you (and me!). BTW, I mis-typed my model year.... I have a 1999 LT. I suspect I still have the same electronics as any other LT.
  • flgirl5flgirl5 Member Posts: 1
    I am considering buying a 2004 C70. Please tell me about your experience, the pros & cons, etc. Thx.
  • biancarbiancar Member Posts: 965
    Can anyone here who owns a current C70 give an opinion on the large turning radius? Does it make it difficult to park or to do fast avoidance moves in traffic?

I was surprised to see that the C70 has by far the largest turning radius in the category, a bit over 41 feet, as compared to 37 for the Toyota Solara and in the mid 30's for Audi and BMW. Any comments?
    Have not found it to be a problem st all. The difficulty parking, for me, has more to do with rear visibility than the turning radius.
  • 10scoachrick10scoachrick Member Posts: 74
    Actually, I think the turning radius takes a bit of getting used to...compared to our former vehicles(Tribute, S40) and our current addition RX330. Another concern with the turning radius on the C70 is the temperamental steering stops...it is quite easy to 'force' the steering past the stops and this can create some problems--even with careful steering, the C70 whines a bit as you approach the limits. Our V70 has none of these problems and is actually easier to park. This is my second or third biggest gripe about the C70--right there with the cowl shake and lack of rear visibility. Best to try one and judge for yourself. The C70 is a wonderful car in many respects. Good luck!
    flgirl, you will get all sorts of info just digging around this forum. Your best bet is to drive one and judge for yourself. I, personally, would not buy one out of warranty unless it was a tremendous deal...too many potential headaches. On the other hand, I trade my cars around warranty expiration time anyway(did keep a Miata for 10 years but that's a different story). Just don't expect this vehicle to be as solid and quiet as other Volvo models and don't expect to be able to see anything directly behind the vehicle. We really enjoy the C70 but it certainly has its quirks. Good luck!
    You mentioned cowl shake as being a real gripe. What exactly is it and how does it "show" itself? Am assuming it is movement of the dash. My '99 doesn't seem to exhibit it...or I don't know what to look for. :confuse: Mine seems very solid to me.
    Basically, it's a shimmy of the top/front area of the vehicle
    ...particularly noticed when turning over uneven pavement(our neighborhood has plenty of big, flattish speed 'humps' at intersections--no matter the speed, the C70 wobbles and rattles a bit while entering/leaving these) OR it can be noticed on normal pavement with the slightest bumpy corners. The early Miatas had a 'fix' that stiffened the area by connecting the front struts with an anti-sway bar(a similar bar was added to the later Miatas just behind the seats) but I've never seen a similar re-do for the Volvo--would be too complicated, most likely. The looseness transfers to the windows and anything else that's not nailed down...acceptable in a 10 year old Miata but unwelcomed in a new $40K vehicle. Again, this is in the LPT and the stiffer HPT may not be as bad.
    Thanks for the explanation. I, too, have the LPT but haven't noticed wobbles or rattles like that. Occasionally, the CD will skip when going over uneven railroad tracks, but I attributed that to the suspension. Otherwise, she feels solid.
    I'm interested in buying the new C70, but want to compare with the SAAB 9-3 also. At this point it's all conjecture because the C70 isn't at the dealers yet, but would appreciate hearing from past Volvo and SAAB owners as to how their cars held up over time, insurance costs, fun to drive, reliability, etc.

Thanks.

(p.s. - Has the "create a new topic" button been disabled? I didn't see where I could start a new topic for a SAAB vs. Volvo discussion.)
    well, the most obvious difference is the C70 will be a hardtop convertible. That's going to make for a much more quiet and comfortable ride in bad weather.

2nd, I've checked out new and used Saabs and have found their interiors to be absolutely deplorable compared to Volvo. I don't really hear complaints like this about Saab, so maybe its just me (although my wife agreed), but it really feels like an economy car inside. And not even a GOOD economy car.

I thought the same thing about the SAAB interior when I saw it recently at the Washington car show. Maybe not quite so strongly, I thought it was OK but no show-stopper as compared to others in its competitive class. I didn't care for the ugly orangey-red boot cover they showed.

Thing is you see SAABs all OVER the place around here; I figured they must have something going for them if they're so popular.

I really, really liked the C70. It was GORGEOUS and to my thinking, the perfect size - not too big, not too small.

Two things of some concern: will that crazy folding roof be reliable? Hope so, because it takes it miles above the competition, for the price.

And two, handling: sites I've seen have put the turning radius at 41.7'. That is HUGE. Turns like an airplane. Since every so often it is necessary to park, I just wonder how that's going to work out. It's a lot wider than the BMW, the Solara, and the SAAB.
  • blamb3blamb3 Member Posts: 41
    I ordered a Volvo C70 in December, they are saying delivery in March, seems early from what I've been reading. List $43,500 discounted $1,000.00. Flint grey,upgraded dynaudio, heated seats, light grey (granite) leather, 6 speed. Trading in 2003 Saab 9-3 convertible (not the new body style). Saab does not compare well with Volvo and the depreciation on Saabs makes them a poor purchase. There are now 8 or 9 road tests of the c70 on the web - almost all are extremely positive. Usual complaints about front wheel drive cars being cruisers, not sports cars, absolutely no complaints on handling , acceleration etc. I believe the wide turning radius will effect you on u-turns (how often does that come up). Just google: volvo c70 2006 road tests - and you'll have enough info. to make a decision. Reports from the U.K. indicate that the expected resale on the c70 will be better than BMW and Audi convertibles.
    Anyone posting here familiar with the Volvo dealers in Northern Virginia? Between Don Beyers, Fairfax Volvo, or Martens (in Maryland), any recommendations or hints to stay far, far away from?

Also, anyone familiar with Volvo dealers around the Chesapeake or Virginia Beach area?
  • mreelmreel Member Posts: 2
    I'm close to deciding to purchse a used C70 convertible. Any advice on model years - say 01-04 or all they all comprable. Any advice on must have options?
    I recommend the SC901 audio system, with Dolby Surround Sound. Has 400 watts through multiple speakers. My 99 has 14 speakers, two of which are subwoofers in the rear seat backs. Heated seats are nice, even here in Houston, but not must have. A must have is the wind screen. Amazing how well it works. :surprise: Good hunting.
    as far as i know, there are no significant differences in the model years, so just find one you like with the options you want.

'02 saw the addition of stability and traction control standard, and '03 saw a very minor power increase. That's about it.

01, deleted the subwoofers from the Prem sound. Improved chassis stiffeners installed.
    04 Clear headlights and improved taillights.
    mreel, I had an 04 and definitely liked the eggcrate grill and clear lights over the earlier style. My only must have was the wood upgrades (touring package) and optional wood wheel, this really dressed up the interior and I have seen some Volvo leather wrapped wheels wear quickly without extra care. Tmart knows alot more than me, but I thought heated seats were standard (maybe just on the 04's)
    Heated seats may have become standard in later years, but they were optional in 99. A wood wheel would have been nice in 99 too. I've taken care of my leather wheel, but it seems to be loosing some of the dye in certain areas. :cry: :sick:

Volvomax, can the wheel be redyed by the dealer, and if so how much would it cost?
    the steering wheel can be redyed. Should cost less than $100.
  • lulu666lulu666 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2004 volve c70 convertible and was wondering if you can turn off the servic :confuse: e light by hand?
    cheers
    Yes. Compliments of qbrozen:

1) key off
    2) press and hold tripmeter reset button
    3) turn key to position 2 for 10-12 seconds
    4) when "service" light flashes
    5) release button and remove key
    6) done
  • nickscott4nickscott4 Member Posts: 1
    I test drove a black c70 with cream leather interior this weekend. The car was fun to drive. You'll get a lot of stares driving it (a couple driving a BMW convertible stopped to watch me drive by). It felt quite strong and rigid for a convertible. The sound system was clear, even loud but Volvo thought of everything with this car. Opening and closing the top is really impressive. I know it will make people stop in their tracks. The fit and finish of the car is top notch and navigator system works great....the screen can be viewed easily, even with the top down on a sunny day. It is easy to navigate and the buttons to enter information is located on the back of the steering wheel. I really wanted a c70 soon so I can drive it before most people get used to seeing it....or it becomes just another convertible. I loved the car so much I have a fully loaded magic blue with cream leather interior on reserve due around mid-july. i can't wait!
    In today's mail was a letter from Volvo advising the ETS was now covered for 10 years or 100k miles, whichever comes first, and if already replaced, they would pay for it. Has anyone had problems with the ETS?
  • mreelmreel Member Posts: 2
    New owner of a '04 C70 - really enjoying it so far. One slight problem that I thought someone might have figured out - any add-on equipment or ingenuity on how to hang clothes. Getting to and from the dry cleaners is a small problem. Longer business trip where I would have traditionally hung clothes instead of packing is a bigger problem. Any ideas?
    This isn't the answer you're looking for, but I lay the hang-ups in the trunk. BTW, congrats on your new car. Tan Safely! :shades: