Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mazda Protege5

Comments

• autonomousautonomous Member Posts: 1,769
    In the current (Sept. 2006) issue of Consumer Reports there is a comparison of hatchbacks (Mazda3, Caliber, Audi3, Saab 92X). Since I had a copy of CR's earlier hatchback review back in 2002 when the Protege5 came out, I found it interesting to compare the specs for the Mazda3 hatchback against those of the Protege5. As you can imagine in most cases the Mazda3 bested the P5 (horsepower, torque, acceleration, transmission ...). But here are a few places where the P5 scored better: the Protege5's brakes stop you in the dry from a 60mph in 126 ft compared to the Mazda3's 129 ft. The P5 weighs nearly 10% less than the Mazda3 hatchback and likely because of a heavier front end the weight distribution is better on the P5. Finally, it is interesting to note that both the P5 and the Mazda3 hatchback average the same 25 mpg.
  • erics6erics6 Member Posts: 684
    Sounds about right. So how did the 3 and P5 stack up against the competition?
    In the current crop of hatchbacks the Mazda3 tops CR's list over the Caliber, Audi3, Saab 92X, Matrix, Vibe, Focus, Malibu Maxx, PT Cruiser, Chevrolet HHR, Prius, and Scion XB. Quite an accomplishment considering some of these vehicles cost thousands more.

The one surprising deficit of all of the hatchbacks tested in the Sept. 2006 issue (i.e. Mazda3, Caliber, Audi3, Saab 92X) is the cargo area! Surprising because that's the one area of a hatchback that one would think that a hatchback would score well.

In August 2002, Consumer Reports recommended the Protege5 even though it came ninth in the list of hatchbacks. The top choice that year was the VW Jetta Wagon.
  • micromikemicromike Member Posts: 2
    Hi All:

I was wondering if someone can please help me out. I have a 2002 Protégé 5 with 5 speed MT, 2.0 L engine, and 52,000 miles. I bought the car used and it has been fun to drive. However, ever since I have owned the car I have noticed that there is an engine vibration that is maximum at about 1200 rpm and decreases at higher or lower. The vibration makes the dome light rattle! The vibration occurs whether the care is moving or not (I can reproduce it in neutral in the driveway) and is not noticeable on the road at high or low speeds (when the car is above 1200 rpm).

Does anyone have an idea of what is causing this annoying problem? Can it be motor mounts or something else.

Thanks a lot for your help.

MicroMike
  • dwryterdwryter Member Posts: 87
    In my opinion the P5 looks better than the Mazda3 with more subtle, cleaner lines. I also like the smaller size (handy when parallel parking), and the fact it's so much quieter. In fact, the Mazda3's excessive road noise prevents me from considering it as the P5's eventual replacement. I would, however, like to drop a Mazda3 160HP engine into my P5. 8^)
  • mazdafunmazdafun Member Posts: 2,329
    I'm partial to the P5 also. I prefer how it looks, and I think it has more rear legroom. There are certain angles from which I think the Mazda3 hatch is really ugly, especially in certain colors that emphasize the clashing lines. Pity, as I have really liked Mazdas (in fact, the only two cars I've ever owned up to now are Mazdas).

Then again, there's nothing out there now that will tempt me out of my '99 Protege (I would've gotten the P5 had it been available at the time....luckily, my wife got one!). I really like the idea of the Fit, but I am not enamored of its aesthetics also. Out of the 5-dr hatchbacks currently on the US market, I like the Rio5 the best in terms of appearance. But its rear seat and cargo area look too small. Oh well, maybe at Mazda's next model refresh....
    My wife's P5's tires are finally due for replacement this summer (she seems to hold the record, having surpassed 50,000 miles on original Dunlops).

She likes them enough to get another set, but the Kumhos are almost half their price!

I think some folks here got the Kumho Ecsta ASX as replacements and had good initial impressions. I'd like to hear long-term reports, please.
  • isseyvooisseyvoo Member Posts: 121
    I'm also interested in hearing about the Kumho impressions. Our 1st replacement tires were Toyo Proxes TPTs. Thought they were great at first, but they became problematic as they aged. Had to have 2 of them replaced under (pro rated) warranty because of bubbles forming in the sidewalls. The Toyos were an expensive mistake. If I can find a dealer in my area it may be Kumho next time if the word here is good. (In particular, how are they in winter weather?)
    I've got the ASX tires. They are okay. I probably won't get them next time.

They are quieter then the Dunlops, but seem to be wearing faster. They wander more, but seem gripper in the corners. Since I've got a set of studded tires, I think I'll pick up a performance tire next time. Maybe some Toyo's.
    Mazdafun, your wife must drive pretty gently to have gone 50K miles on her original Dunlops. And that means she's unlikely to notice the slight performance trade-off I got by going to Pirelli PZeros that are one size up, 205/16 50. After driving 26K miles on them, I still recommend them.

These tires are MUCH quieter than the Dunlops, ride a little softer due to the higher sidewall, and don't amplify every pebble they traverse. And judging by the minimal wear I see at present, it looks like they'll last twice as long as the Dunlops. They are great on wet, too. My original Dunlops had as much traction on wet roads at 26K as a kid's butt on a slide.

One of my Dunlops blew out and I paid $126 to replace it -- then replaced all four tires with the Pirellis shortly after that. So that virtually new Dunlop is taking up space in my garage, along one of the other originals with minimal wear. If anyone wants to stick with the Dunlops, lemme know. I'll swing you a deal you can't resist.
    Yeah, my wife takes it easy on her tires in the corners. The pedals, on the other hand.....let's say we have a disagreement about how heavy her foot is - she tends to jab at them. :)

We switched cars the other day (easy to do since I have the sedan and she has the P5) so I could haul some bulky items, and I noticed her odo is almost at 55,000 miles. From my read on her tires' remaining tread, she could easily exceed 60,000 miles on them. However, when I was taking her car around corners (and it corners better than my ProLX), I noticed the tires aren't as grippy as they used to be. The compound must be different after a certain amount has worn off.

Anyway, I made the mistake of telling my wife that, and she told me to stop abusing her tires. :)
    If it ever rains where you live you should probably replace those tires ASAP. One characteristic of the Dunlops, in my experience, was poor handling on wet roads. Mine would sometimes hydroplane on freeway puddles in heavy rain even when the tires were new. By the time they had about 25K miles on them, driving in the rain required a thrill-seeker attitude. That's why I replaced them at 26K. They still had plenty of tread left, it just didn't help the tires grip. Were I you I'd replace her tires very soon.
  • PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372
    Join us for our weekly Mazda Club chat and meet & greet some of your fellow forums fanatics! ;)

The Mazda Club Chat is on tonight. The chat room opens at 8:45PM ET Hope to see YOU there! Check out the schedule
    Out of the 5-dr hatchbacks currently on the US market, I like the Rio5 the best in terms of appearance.

I agree the Rio5 looks well but it is lacking in several areas (including horsepower). I prefer the Nissan Versa (with its smooth CVT) but not enough to get me out of my Pro5. Something was lost when Mazda improved the Protege5 but on the whole the Mazda3 is a wonderful if imperfect package.
    Hi everyone,
    I thought it would be interesting to hear from everyone out there on their experiences with major maintenance, modifications/upgrades and additions. By major, I mean more than a few dollars, let's say $50+.

Here are mine:

Model: Protege5 2002 automatic 78,000KM (approx. 48,000 miles)

Maintenance:
    4 years of regular maintenance : C$600
    brake calipers serviced twice: C$230
    EGR valve replaced in year 4: C$500
    Rust removed from rear wheel wells: C$280

Modifications/Upgrades: none

Additions:
    BF Goodrich Slalom winter tires + rims: C$700
    BF Goodrich Traction T/A 205/50/16 tires: $C600

Verdict:
    After 50 months still a great car! Keeping it for another couple of years although the Mazdaspeed3 is tempting.
  • cameramattcameramatt Member Posts: 32
    Newbie to the Mazda Protege5 site.

I bought a used, red 2002 Protege5 for my 16 year old Daughter in August. It's a sharp looking and performing car.

It came with the 195/50/16 Kumho ECSTA SPT, not a great tire, especially for the Northeast Ohio winters. Decided to shop for a much better tire for my Daughter's sake.

Decided on the Michelin Pilot Exalto A/S tires.
    Cost me $730.00 for the four plus I'll get an additional $50 off with the Michelin rebate currently for the 4 tires.

Wow! What a difference, the ride is much softer, tires hug the road especially on the turns, less noisier than the Kumho's. I haven't gotten to drive the Protege yet in the rain or snow but I can't wait to see how they perform. If my Daughter lets me drive.
    Has anyone else put these on their Protege?

Currently, I drive a mini-van and my wife drives a Honda Pilot. We both like to drive the Protege, Wow! It feels so sporty, zoom, zoom!
    Welcome aboard!

Michelin generally make excellent tires. Did you get the 195/50/16 V rated ones?

p.s. I believe these are all season tires so if you're concerned about winter driving you may want to consider buying a separate set of winter tires with rims.
    Yes, they're the "V" rated 195/50/16. I looked at winter tires but the performance wasn't that great plus I considered the cost of purchasing four sets of tires & steel rims a factor, so I decide on the Pilot Exaltos A/S, especially for the all-season high performance it offers.

p.s. I added two 60lb sand bags in the trunk for weight in the snow/ice. Has anyone done this or is this overkill for the Protege5?
    I bought the 2002 with 47,500 miles on it and it's very clean inside and out and runs great.
    I run studded winter tires with steel rims on my 02. I've been in a bit of snow with all season M&S. Handling seemed okay. I wouldn't want to try mountains and ice though.
  • iamziamz Member Posts: 542
    The sand bags in the trunk will provide you no benefit being it's a front wheel drive car. Worse case, in an accident (rollover) they could come out of the trunk and cause serious trauma to the passengers.
    sand bags in the trunk will provide you no benefit being it's a front wheel drive

Interesting.
    How would 120 lbs. of sand in the trunk affect the driveability of the P5? Since it is a front wheel drive, wouldn't it help to "balance" the car as most FWD are front heavy? Most seem to be in the 60/40 weight distribution (60% on front wheels 40% on rear wheels)?

On the other hand, my understanding is that in the winter adding weight to the back to offset the heavy front would not be advantageous in many cases since you want the front wheels to grip and go.

Also, driving with an extra 120 lbs. is likely to affect the fuel economy.
    Sand bags are only for RWD cars/trucks.
    Thanks for the input, took the sand bags out and back to the store.
  • iamziamz Member Posts: 542
    Just an update to my post a couple of months ago about my ABS not working. Turns out it was nothing more than low brake fluid. The odd thing is that it wasn't really that low. I had checked the fluid level before and it was at about the mid point between the min and max marks, so I figured no big deal. Well apparently it is. There must be a sensor in the reservoir that is a little overly sensitive to fluid level. After I topped it off the light cleared and the ABS has been functioning normally for a few weeks now.

So, keep your fluid at the max level.
  • PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372
    It's Tuesday so it's time for our weekly Mazda gathering! Avoid the holiday crush at the mall and have a relaxing chat! :P

The Mazda Club Chat is on tonight. The chat room opens at 8:45PM ET Hope to see YOU there! Check out the schedule
  • guyrobguyrob Member Posts: 5
    I just replaced the original Dunlops at 57 K with Michelin Pilot Exalto A/S. I chose a bigger tire, at 205/55/16 91v and must admit they work great! The tires are very quiet and the ride is much smoother and soft. I also replaced all the stablizer links which were causing the car to knock over bumps. With those changes, car rides like new. Has anyone tried bigger tires on their car? How do you like them?
    replaced the original Dunlops at 57 K

If you mean 57K miles, the Dunlops have served you well. If you mean 57K kilometres, join the band of dissatisfied drivers. Last year, I upgraded to BFG Traction T/A 205/50/16 and have found them to be great road handlers and an excellent value.
    It was 57K kilometres, and you're right, they seemed to have worn out too soon. I didn't want to get the same ones, so thought I'd try Michelins. Car manufacturers should put more effort in putting better original tires on their cars, I don't know why they put tire selection at the bottom of their list. Guess it's a cost thing!
    Has anyone test driven the new cx-7? I've seen and sat in it and boy it is one gourgeous hunk of a car! Wonder how it handles..
    Not as well as the P5...
    wow, I'm shocked! It does seem kinda big though so might not be as nimble as the P5.
  • bballabballa Member Posts: 56
    Has anyone regretted up-sizing to 205/50/16 tires when replacing their tires on their P5?
    Has anyone regretted up-sizing to 205/50/16 tires when replacing their tires on their P5?
    Not me. Sixteens are looking more and more tame as new cars come sporting 18, 19 and even 22 inch wheels.
    I am looking at Kumho Ecsta ASX and also the Fuzion HRI or ZRI. Any other recommendations?
    My Kumho ASX's have worn quickly and badly. You get what you pay for.
    If you regularly check the air pressure and rotate every 5k-6k I would hope any of these tires would at least get 30k miles. I have 31k on the stock Dunlaps and could probably get 8k more out of them if not for the pot hole my wife hit the other night.
    I've been driving with 205/55/16 for a few weeks and still loving them and glad I upgraded. Larger tires give a more soft, quiet ride, so if that's what u want then upgrade. If you like a firmer, more road feel ride, stick with as close to original size as possible. But honestly, the larger tires really work well with the P5 and they look good too--but it's up to your taste. Handling is not comprimised with larger tires.
    I did a recent round trip from Ottawa to Montreal (400 km / 320 miles) and was impressed at the 32 mpg average achieved by my five year old Protege5 as it cruised in the 110 km (70 mph) range. There were moments at 130 and beyond but those were reserved for some quick passes. The key is not driving like there is no tomorrow.
  • 4thepups4thepups Member Posts: 5
    Looks to be in imaculate condition, but has just over 80,000 miles on it (all put on between '04 and '06!!). The deal seems fair, though - quite a bit under blue book. Would anyone buy a protege5 with 80k on it??? Please please please respond with opinions!! Thank you all in advance. PS, yes i'm new here! :blush:
    Sure. If it's good shape. My 02 has about 73k and it's been mostly problem free. Most reliable car I've owned.

Get a mechanic to do an inspection and you'll be set to go. I think the timing belt needs to be replaced at 105k. May need some other serving, but the inspection will tell you what needs doing.
    Thanks for your response! I've done a lot of research, talked to alot of people, and this was the one that pushed me over the line of indecision!...don't have it yet, its being hauled from another state. I'm looking forward to seeing it! :D AND driving it!
    Congrats. Actually, my P5 has 78k. It's been a great car although I'm thinking about selling it and picking up a Forester. It doesn't work very well on rough Forest Roads.
    Get a mechanic to do an inspection ...
    Agreed.

4thepups, you may want to have the mechanic check for excessive tire and brake wear. Protege5s can be driven hard by some and need to have their disc brakes maintained regularly. If the previous owner was meticulous in servicing the P5 you'll have one sweet driving machine. Mine is nearing 5 years and feels as good as the day I bought it.
    you may want to have the mechanic check for excessive tire and brake wear

I will be taking it to a diagnostic center to have a complete check-up, and "hardware" will be looked over too. ;) But i was told by the dealer that the tires and brakes have 80% left...so if he's being honest, you're making me feel really good about my decision!! :D
    If you don't mind me asking, what kind of $ deal did you strike. I've seen 02-03's going for $10.5k - $13.5k.
  • nettonetto Member Posts: 12
    I just had my brakes replaced and brake fluids at my local dealer. I can't help feel I got fleeced. I questioned the dealer and the main point was that I'm paying for a Mazda certified mechanic.

I have an 02 P5 with 44k on the clock, it's in great condition and I've always had the dealer work on it.

My question, is it worth going to the dealre for brakes, oils, tires? I'm worried that an auto chain will screw with something. Am I being paranoid? p.s What should 2 front pads, machine drum and oil flush cost? (Approximately) & who would you recommend to go to if not the dealer?

Thanks

N
    Dealer will almost always be more then an independent shop. If you find a good independent, I think that's the way to go. I had my rotors turned and them replaced alongh with pads at my local independent. It was quite reasonable. Seems like it was a couple hundred, IIRC.

I do prefer the 1-hr oil change at the dealer with a coupon over the quick change places. I personally wouldn't trust those quicky places with any of my cars
  • nettonetto Member Posts: 12
    Thanks !!
    had my brakes replaced and brake fluids at my local dealer. I can't help feel I got fleeced. I questioned the dealer and the main point was that I'm paying for a Mazda certified mechanic.
    Try calling a few shops. Ask them whether they use original equipment or aftermarket parts. Ask about the warranty on the parts and labour.

I have an 02 P5 with 44k on the clock, it's in great condition and I've always had the dealer work on it.
    That is a credit to you and your choice of service provider.

My question, is it worth going to the dealre for brakes, oils, tires?
    I find that it's not worth worrying about the small stuff, like oil changes so I do it at the dealership. For larger jobs, I check around. I buy tires from tire shops: they have a better selection and often better prices.

I'm happy that my 2002 P5 has over 50,000 miles (over 82,000 km) on the original brakes (i.e. original pads and no rotor resurfacing). But I'm counting the days ... :surprise:
    just under $8K. and it has ALOT of options, and it has a clean title (had a title check and history check).
This discussion has been closed.