Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mazda Protege5

Comments

• erics6erics6 Member Posts: 684
    Good deal. I'm looking at selling to my neighbor for $8500.
  • 4thepups4thepups Member Posts: 5
    Unless you know of certain "flaws" and the feedback I read regarding these vehicles, I'd have to say that your neighbor would be getting a great deal... ;)
    Yep. They know I've taken care of it and I could sell it for more on the open market, but they are good neighbors.
  • commanchecommanche Member Posts: 5
    please if anyone here has the automatic transmission ask you serviceman about the repair bulliten.
    some mazdas came out with faulty transmissions and mazda refuses to correct the problem.
    I bought a new mazda protege 5 in 2002 with 5 year 60, 000 mile extended power train warrenty.
    I only have 54,000 miles but the warranty is out over 3 months. my transmission went out last month and the repair bill was $1461.
    mazda knew about this problem and released a service bulliten on this problem.
    I have personally seen the service bulliten.
    my mechanic told me that some front wheel drive fords also have this same transmission.
    so please, if your mazda protege is still under warranty check with your serviceman about this.
    personally this had led me to the decision that I will never buy another mazdfa.
    if anyone has an automatic transmission I hope you don't get stung. my tranny went out at 54,000 miles just after the warranty.
    my mechanic told me that mazda knew about this problem and a service bulliten was realeased. he also said some fords with front wheel drive had this same tranny.
    at 5 years and 54,000 miles this cost me $1461 out of my own pocket.
    I will never buy another mazda.
  • iamziamz Member Posts: 542
    Sorry to hear about your tranny. Any details as to what the problem was? I have a 2002 P5 also and I'll hit 110,000 miles before the end of this week. No problems so far.
    What was the TSB #? I don't see it listed on www.protege.net/tsb.
    actually I think the TSB might be under ford. look for it under ford or mercury villiager. the guy who fixed my tranny said that some of the mazdas used ford transmissions. the ford he talked about was the front wheel drive van...can't remember the exact name of the car. I did see the service bulliten. I made him show it to me. the problem was explained to me to be the seals in the end cover I think. ruined the whole dang tranny. I saved the parts, they are in the back of my truck right now. also I'm looking at the mileage also...53,771. all mazdas weren't equipped with this tranny.
    google "mazda protege 5 transmission problems."
    Ummm... Yeah the 626 used a ford tranny with accompanying problems. I'm pretty sure the Protege did not. Think you might want to investigate further. I had the stick in my 02, but I've never heard of issues with the auto.
    There isn't anything at that site showing problems with the 2002 P5 automatic transmission. ???? Also, the Mercury Villager is a Nissan product and I've never heard of Mazda and Nissan sharing transmissions. I think the service guy has his facts all wrong.

In any case, it is still too bad that your tranny went. You mentioned leaking seals; did a lot of the fluid leak out, and the lack of fluid destroy the transmission?
  • autonomousautonomous Member Posts: 1,769
    For a complete listing of parts for your Mazda Protege (including Protege5 and Mazdaspeed Protege) go to: http://www.mazdaspeedtuning.com/mazdacats/protege.pdf
    link title
    well regardless of the fact, I saw the service bulliten and my bank account saw the $1460 disappear.
    Here are the major maintenance items for my 2002 Pro5 with over 86.5K km (54K miles).

2007: new water pump; new timing belt; fuel induction service ; total: C$1000

2006: new EGR valve; removed rust from rear wheel wells; new summer tires (BFG Traction TA 205/50/16); total: C$1500

Total maintenance costs (including oilchanges); C$3000 ; C$600/year.

General assessment: great car
  • destro3destro3 Member Posts: 1
    Hello everyone I am new to this site I currently have a 2002 mazda protege 5 and all though this seems strage to me someone out there might make sense of it.... I recently put some subs and amp in my car I was in a hurry so I used the factory deck and just wired in the back speakers instead of going throught the deck I asked a few people they said that woule be cool I got the fure on the battery all that fun stuff.... Well two days later my heater stopped working now could they at all be connected or is that just a bad luck on my part the car has around 200 000k is it just time for a new heater...... If anyone could help i woule appreciate it more than you know
  • pciskowskipciskowski Member Posts: 155
    I recently purchased my third 2002 P5. It is a red one with 41K on it. I paid $6,500. Man, I love these cars!
    my third 2002 P5 ... Man, I love these cars!
    Do you mean you have three in your garage or that you've replaced the previous two with this one? Either way, this qualifies more than a love affair ... this is an obsession! :)
    Good deal too if the car is up to spec.
    Nope-three in a row (with a very short unfortunate Camry episode in the middle). I wish I had three in my garage!

It was garaged all the time, so the paint is in really good shape. There is one scrape on the front bumper that the previous owner fixed with touch up paint. It is so minor that I am probably not going to get it fixed, and I am a stickler for those kinds of things. The interior is immaculate.

Yes, I am definitely obsessed with these cars.

I recently spent a week in Bermuda, and there were plenty of 323s running around. It looks really weird without the ground effects and bumpers, and in the other colors besides what we got. Very strange experience.
    41K on it ...paid $6,500 ... in really good shape ... interior is immaculate
    Low mileage, low cost, good condition ... sounds like a homerun to me. Enjoy!
    Yep. Good price. I sold mine earlier this year with almost double those miles for $8500.
    It just got even better. I was looking through the paperwork with the owners manual, and he kept all the receipts, the window sticker, etc. Plus he had an extended warranty with 6 mos left on it that I can transfer for $30. I usually think those warranties are worthless (they cover everything except what broke), but for $30 I can't go wrong.
  • jspainjspain Member Posts: 4
    I need some assistance here. I have your standard FM Transmitter to play my Nano iPOD through my car stereo, and it has horrible audio. I've went through 3 so far and each one has very poor sound quality. From what I've been reading, they're all like that.

I was just told that there's an iPOD adapter where you plug it into the changer port on back of the factory stereo, replacing the CD changer. It plays right through the speakers & not through a radio station.

I checked out Crutchfield.com for this adapter, and they're telling me that they don't have this adapter for my factory stereo for my 2002 Mazda Portege' 5.

Do you know if my factory stereo is compatible for this?
    Is there something else i can do?
    Are there actually good FM Transmitters out there that have great audio quality?

You help is much appreciated!!!
    Thanks!
    Just buy an aftermarket stereo. You can get a decent Pioneer, etc. for ~$150, and the Ipod adaptor is $30. Mounting it in a P5 takes an hour or less.
  • jspainjspain Member Posts: 4
    I just read that there's a chance that my factory stereo has an AUX plug in the back where I can hook up the iPOD.

Have you heard of this?

Thanks for the help!
  • PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372
    It's Tuesday, so that means it's time for our weekly chat session. Meet and greet with some of your CarSpace forums friends and chat about your favorite cars!

The Mazda Club Chat is on tonight. The chat room opens at 8:45PM ET Hope to see YOU there! Check out the schedule
  • jwatsjwats Member Posts: 72
    What should I expect to pay ? What should I offer?

What things should be looked at carefully in prepurchase inspection?

thanks in advance for your help

John
    I just bought an 02 5 spd with 41K and a sunroof, and I paid $6,500. I bought from an individual, and I got a bargain.

You didn't state the condition, etc. Check out the TMV calculator.
  • parksgirlparksgirl Member Posts: 7
    Hey everyone, I'm thinking of buying a used Protege 5, and have looked at a manual '03 with 55 000 kms, that I kinda fell in love with (despite never driving manual before) but is a little out of my price range. They are asking $10900 at the Mazda dealership, I managed to haggle down to $9500 but with their 'Protection Plan' fee still managed to add up to $11500. I'm also going to go look at a '02 automatic with approx 85000 km, he's asking $8900 and is a private sale so I'd avoid the GST. The 03 still has warranty until July. Any opinions assuming both were well taken care of? Any differences I should be aware of between an 02 and 03? Maintenance concerns between an auto and a stick?

Thanks a bunch.

Oh, and the other concern I have is tires, as soon as I get a car I'll be driving from S.Ontario to N.Alberta and thus assume I should get winter tires. I've heard the tires for this car are expensive, can I just stud all seasons? I really have no idea.
    Manual or automatic is up to you. In either case make sure to have the car checked independently (that is by your garage) to avoid cars that have been repaired after accidents or other invisible problems. Things to check on the 03 manual: why is the price so high; what is covered in the protection plan; do you really want this costly protection. Things to check on the 02 automatic with 85K: has the timing belt been replaced (normally done at 96K and worth over $500); what condition are the brakes (could require replacement especially front brakes); is there complete service documentation on the vehicle; are winter tires included. Depending on its condition $8500 might not be a bad deal.

Regarding the tires, for fellow Canucks I would definitely suggest winter tires with separate steel wheels. They are not expensive; my 14" tires and wheels have lasted for the last 6 winters and they are a must have. The original Dunlops wear very quickly; you may want to consider another brand that has a longer life span.

My 2002 P5 automatic has been wonderful and trouble-free.

Good luck and let us know how you fare.
    Thanks for the advice. I've decided to go with the '02 because it stays within my budget. I'm still a little sketch about buying privately but the mechanic said it was solid other than recommending rust proofing it and something minor about the sway bars. He also said that with this make/model he would recommend servicing the brake calipers every year to extend brake life, would y'all suggest this too?

autonomous - you are using 14" tires? Tire rack suggested 15" for winters, minus 1 or whatever. 14" seems small. What brand to you recommend? Tirerack suggested Bridgestone Blizzak WS-60 for the Pro5, I was also thinking Michelin X-Ice cause I might get them on sale at Canadian Tire.

Can anyone tell me the difference between the Bridgestone Blizzak WS-60 or the WS-50?

Thanks again, I will soon be a Pro5 owner with the rest of y'all.
    servicing the brake calipers every year to extend brake life, would y'all suggest this too?
    Mine were done every 18 months & lasted nearly 100K km / 60K miles.

14" tires? Tire rack suggested 15" for winters, minus 1 or whatever ... What brand
    Yes, either 14" or "15" for winter tires. My tire shop said to keep the footprint small; another way of thinking of it is snow tires should be less like snowshoes and more like skates, that is thin and tall. I have BF Goodrich tires on steel wheels; they were a great value at $700 (tax included) for the package. Blizzaks and Michelin X-Ice are both excellent tires (although more pricey than what I paid).
    Is it safe to go from the stock tire size of 195 to a 205?
    Yes.
    Agreed. I drive on 205/50/16 tires.
    Thanks a lot for the advice guys. I am the proud owner of a 2002 Pro 5. I'm pretty much ready to go. Although I've run into a problem with trying to find a block heater for it. The shops are telling me they don't exist for this car. I'm going to be in N.Alberta and it can get damn cold. Any advice? Anybody have a block heater in theirs?
    Anybody have a block heater in theirs?
    When I got mine installed last month the service representative said "you know you're getting the last one in North America". I thought he was joking. It turned out that it was a return that they were planning to discard.
    Ah, Fudge! I guess I should have looked into this beforehand.
    I can personally attest that the P5 will start at -15 F with no problem. Just make sure your battery is good and you are running a fully synthetic oil like Mobil1 in a 5w-30 grade.
  • raceman13raceman13 Member Posts: 12
    Hey I am looking at a P5 with 126,000 miles on it. Is it bad to have that many miles on it?
    Also it's an automatic and I am die hard manual driver. How does it compare to the manual? And are automatics reliable when it comes to tuning?
    It sounds like you should continue looking for a manual P5. They are not that hard to find.
    Some friends of ares are selling there for really cheap. That is the only draw back.
  • camarillobrillcamarillobrill Member Posts: 44
    The manual trans is the way to go with a high mileage unit. Automatic transmissions can be costly to repair/replace. My 02 pro5 has 250k and runs great.....and I have a manual trans.
    Wow. 250k. That is encouraging. I'll admitt that miles like that are becoming more and more common these days on just about all car makes. Have you had any major repairs?
    Well, if you like the idea of mixing lots of dirt in with your oil, you will love the K&N.
    Hey guys (and girls) I did buy that P5 that my friends were selling and it is AMAZING! I love it, regardless of automatic trans. It's a sweet little car!
    Anyway, I was wondering what you guys think of the air intake system K&N offers. I have heard good things about it but I want to get some other feedback.
    Also I was looking at cold air intake systems but someone was telling me that (I live in Florida) thay are not good if you live in a humid climate. Why is that?

Thanks to all who will respond!
    On a less sarcastic note ;-), your P5 already has a cold air intake. Lift the hood and look at that black plastic thing near the front of the hood on the battery side of the engine compartment. It takes in fresh air from your grill and has multiple chambers to allow dirt and rain water to settle out before getting to your air filter. The chambers also reduce induction noise. The engineers went to a lot of work designing that for you. Be happy with that.
    Okay, very good!
    What about performance wise? What do I want to do to about adding hps?
    Has anyone heard about Mazda's warranty extension to 7 years for the EGR valve? My understanding is that in recognition of the extensive number of problems owners are having with failing EGR valves in Proteges (including Protege5) Mazda will compensate for its repair/replacement? I believe there was a service notice to this effect which would be interesting to see.
  • ashleyrae_41ashleyrae_41 Member Posts: 2
    Has anybody installed after market fog lights on their protege5? And if so what do you think? I have a busted fog light and need to replace it and I was wondering if I should stay with stock or if their are better options out there.
    Thanks,
    Ashley
This discussion has been closed.