Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mazda Protege5

1148149150151152154»

Comments

• iamziamz Member Posts: 542
    While I've been happy with the P5 I'm disappointed in Mazda for ignoring fuel efficiency and for not offering a low cost 5 door. The Mazda3 5-door lists for something like $24k. Way out of my price range.

Sounds like you are looking for exactly what I was looking for. I ordered a Fiesta which should arrive any week now. It's exactly what you are describing. Considering it has many more features than my P5 (traction control, stability control, 7 airbags, 6-speed automatic transmission, electric power steering, and at least 33% better fuel economy just to name a few things), and I'm paying over 3k less than I paid for my P5, I'm feeling pretty good about it. Ford really seems to have improved their quality to the point that I'm expecting the Fiesta to hold up as well as the Mazda.
  • autonomousautonomous Member Posts: 1,769
    Yes, the Fiesta sounds like an awesome product. Thank God Ford decided to bring it over. Do you know what modifications were needed for the US/North American market? My understanding is that the emission controls are different from the European marketplace but I don't know which is more stringent.
    The 33% improvement in fuel economy is excellent! And the price is mighty fine.

So I guess I should check out your posts on the Fiesta site in July!

Congratulations Terry!
    40% of the car was actually changed for the NA market. The main changes were to the front and rear bumpers (they beefed them up to 5 mph crash standards) and the suspension was then stiffened to make up for the extra 100 lbs of weight the car gained from that. The interior is actually all new even though they kept the general look of the Euro model. Ford altered the fuel mapping and engine timing to allow for 87 octane (the Euro Fiesta required 93 octane). And they added a lot of sound deadening to make it quieter than the Euro. The cars are being built in Mexico to keep costs down.
  • rjroosterrjrooster Member Posts: 1
    I just recently had to replace the INTAKE manifold gasket and I believe I have all vacuum lines and sensors hooked up correctly but when I start car the following happens:
    Flashing AT and CHECK ENGINE and a higher idle. Care will not go out of 2nd gear and when I switch to MANUAL shift it will not allow this.
    Leads me to think I have a missing vacuum line or maybe I got antifreeze on a tranny connector during intake removal?

Thanks for any and all help - Randy
    I sold my Protege5 yesterday after owning it for over 9 years. It had 162,711 miles on the odometer. Looking back, it really was a very reliable car. The few problems were the ABS stopped working about 3 years ago, the rear sticky caliper slides, short headlight life, and rust were the only issues. I spent a lot of time fixing the rust on the car over the summer so I hope it stays looking good for the new owner for a few years. He hopes to get about 4 years from the car and I don't see why that isn't possible if he takes good care of it. Kind of a sad day for me.
    edited September 2010
    I sold my Protege5 yesterday after owning it for over 9 years. It had 162,711 miles on the odometer. Looking back, it really was a very reliable car. The few problems were the ABS stopped working about 3 years ago, the rear sticky caliper slides, short headlight life, and rust were the only issues. I spent a lot of time fixing the rust on the car over the summer so I hope it stays looking good for the new owner for a few years. He hopes to get about 4 years from the car and I don't see why that isn't possible if he takes good care of it. Kind of a sad day for me.
    Sounds like you have fond memories of the P5 (and hopefully a ton of pictures). Time to move on to Fiesta time!
    I did take a few pictures over the years. It's the longest I've ever held on to a car so there was ample opportunity to snap a picture or two. ;-)
    edited November 2010
    My 2002 Protege5 is halfway into its 8th year and so here is the updated list of major troublespots:
    1) Tires: OEM Dunlops wore quickly (27 K miles); BF Goodrich Traction T/A tires lasted longer (33 K miles); now riding on General UHP 205/50/16 (great value)
    2) rust around rear wheel wells; after repair in 2005 fortunately no major resurgence
    3) EGR failed; replaced by dealer (at a moderate cost)
    4) Steering rack damaged (at a significant cost); this was likely due to a driving error on my part.
    5) Rear stabilizer links failed (corrected at a moderate cost).
    6) New brakes and rotors (significant cost; this was preventative maintenance)
    7) Radiator replaced in 8th year (moderate cost)
    8) A/C needed repair (moderate cost)

My overall assessment: still a great car but the costs are adding up!
  • carn00bcarn00b Member Posts: 1
    I have my registration with smog due this month and my catalytic converter recently went. That's fine, I'll just replace with an aftermarket.. Okay, that's not super legal in this state. That's fine, I'll just replace with a Mazda catalytic converter. Hmm, apparently I need to pay over a thousand dollars for that (parts alone). Is there any way out of my situation that doesn't involve stupid huge sums of money? I really can't afford to do it the "California way," and would also hate to put my car into non-operation. Any and all advice is appreciated. HELP!
  • mariasmarias Member Posts: 15
    edited March 2011
    I need to sell my mother-in-laws Mazda Protege5 2002 with 73,000 miles on it. The a/c was replaced last year and just paid $500 to have the two O2 sensors replaced. A little rust on one corner of the front hood. What should I really expect to get for it? Looking at dealership's asking prices, it seems that retail is over $6,500 for this car. Carmax has one listed for over $11,000.
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    I'd hop over to our Read World Trade-In Values discussion and see what they think.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

edited April 2011
    Here's the final update for my 2002 Mazda Protege5.

After 9 years and approximately 85K miles, the car has proven to be both a good value and a great ride. It should continue to provide both for many years to come. The main problems of the car were rust (especially around wheel wells), EGR valve failure and premature tire wear. The rust issue can be managed mostly by rust proofing. The tire wear is partly due to the "fun" factor of the car, i.e. not driving conservatively. A pleasant surprise was the amount of equipment that survived as long as it did, including the original exhaust system, the original interior and the original paint.

My nephew inherited the P5 and is enjoying it.

I liked the Protege5 so much that I bought the successor, the Mazda3 Sport.

See you all on the Mazda3 pages!
  • pr5txpr5tx Member Posts: 1
    I've a 70,000 mile 2002 Protege 5 with ac, door lock, and suspension problems. Body/interior wear due to blistering hot sun in TX and the usual hazards. I'm at moment of truth about holding or selling. Advice on either count welcome. What future costs to expect versus what trade in value. Thanks.
    ... 70,000 mile 2002 Protege 5 with ac, door lock, and suspension problems. Body/interior wear due to blistering hot sun ... I'm at moment of truth about holding or selling ... What future costs to expect versus what trade in value.

Considering the recent heat wave, an AC problem would tip me over the edge to selling. Annual repairs for a 10 year old car, I'd expect to be over $1K and possibly closer to double that. On the other hand, at 70K miles there is still a long life ahead for the engine. So, if you can live with the headaches, the P5 should be able to last you several more years. But, if you need an excuse to get a new car, the new 2012 Mazda3 has a more efficient engine and you won't bake like a clam in the heat. ;)
This discussion has been closed.