Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mazda Protege5

Comments

• tocantocan Member Posts: 118
    I've been lurking here (and in the sedan forum) looking for information on the Protege5/Sport Wagon, but since I seem to have more information than others, I'll give what I have found. I have posted the same information in both the sedan and the hatchback forums since people don't necessarily read both. Please note that all of my discussion is of Canadian specs; because our market is so much smaller than the US market, we generally have fewer choices.

At the Canadian International Auto Show there were spec sheets available, and my information comes from that, or from the press release announcing the model from the Mazda Canada web site.

http://www.mazda.ca/eng/atmazda/press/press2001protege.html

In Canada, they are calling it the Protege5. Basically, all of the features are the same as the (Canadian) Protege ES plus 16" alloy wheels, rear disc brakes, ABS with EBDF and what they call a rear roof spoiler. The only options available are automatic transmission, air conditioning, and power glass moonroof. It will be available in 5 colours (Sunlight Silver Metallic, Black Mica, Midnight Blue, Classic Red and Sunburst Yellow).

When I took the ES out for a test drive 2 weeks ago, the salesman said that they were expected their first 10 Protege5's in May, and that the Sunburst Yellow was NOT coming in the first shipment. But Mazda Canada has not yet announced MSRP, so I don't know how firm that date is.

It looks from the specs that the Protege5 is shorter than the sedan (4331mm vs. 4450mm) a difference of slightly less than 5 inches. I would really like to know how big the hatch area is with the front seats down (not a volume measurement, I want to know how far it is from the back of the front seats to the hatch) but I haven't been able to get that information.

For those that are interested in pictures, here are a couple of links.

http://www.velocityjrnl.com/jrnl/2002/v2kmdl2446mult.html

http://www.canadiandriver.com/news/010202t-4-11.htm

In Australia this model seems to be called the Astina Sport20. There are lots of pictures here, but the model doesn't seem to be identical to the North American version (the taillights are different, in addition to the fact that Aussies drive on the left). They also seem to have more colour choices than we will have in Canada.

http://www.mazda.com.au/sp20/874.html

I hope this helps. I've been enjoying what I've been reading, and I've learned a lot. Protege owners (at least those who frequent places like this) are very passionate about their cars.
  • qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,934
    I would think that if they were really that close to being shipped that there would be more information available (especially on the mazda site) and there really should be brochures printed by this time.

Anyway, I suspect that its further away. But, I hope not.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

When I started to think about a new car in the winter of 2000 (I was going to buy one last spring) all that my Mazda dealer had on the 2000 Protege was a single specification sheet. (Let me point out that this was a full colour printed sheet, and had almost exactly the same information that the 2001 Mazda brochure has on the Protege.) The 2000 cars were on the lot at the time.

The spec sheet that I mentioned on the Protege5 was exactly the same as that for the 2000 Protege. There may not be a full brochure, since this is the only 2002 model that is out. Have you requested the information from the Mazda US web site? They may have something similar to what I got here.

Another thing I found, I think on the Mazda Canada site as well as others, was that the 2001 cars were in dealerships and being advertised in the newspapers before they updated the web sites from showing 2000 information to 2001. So maybe we are closer than we think.

I'd like to think so. I'm looking forward to being the proud owner of a bright red Protege5, and the sooner the better!
    Yeah. I did request info off the site, quite some time ago, about the MP3, RX8, and 5-door. I also requested for all of this by mail using a postcard that came attached to a picture of the RX8 that I picked up at the Philly Auto Show (unfortunately, NONE of the cars was actually there, I've got to go to NY next month to see them).

Still, I've received nothing. But, then again, not everybody seems to be on top of things. I also requested info about the Z-car and SER-V from Nissan a month or more ago and just 2 days ago received an automated email response that they received my request. There is speedy service for ya!

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• rsparrowrsparrow Member Posts: 60
    The specsheet I have also lists the addition of variable speed intermittent wipers, lockable glove-box, and colored mirrors. Hopefully the 2002 Protege ES will have the same additions.
  • protegextwoprotegextwo Member Posts: 1,265
    Rick, I am not positive, however I think the 2001 Protege Sedan has a lockable glove box. What do you guys think of the colors, that have appeared on the Car Show Mazda 5's? I would love to see them offered in some more traditional Euro sport colors. A racing red, a dark green, and perhaps a dark blue. My 2 cents. I would like to here everyone else's thoughts on the colors offered. ;-)

Respectfully;
    Larry
    Wouldn't the midnight blue be a dark blue? ;-)

Actually they define the colours as 5 youth-oriented colours. I must admit that I haven't been a youth (and never a male youth which is the group that Mazda says they are targetting with this car) for a lot of years.

I, on the other hand, have wanted a bright red car since I bought my first Tercel in 1981. The Tercel didn't come in it that year (the next year they had fire engine red, oh well). Neither of my other 2 cars would have looked right even if they came in red. So I'm happy!

Nomi
  • cosmo19cosmo19 Member Posts: 4
    Silver is the only available color that I will consider.
    I thought the blue offered was the powder/baby blue? Now, I'm not sure I am even describing it correctly. But in some of the pictures posted here, it seemed the blue offered was not very dark?

Cosmo19, I agree so far, the silver seems to be the best color for my tastes.

Larry
  • beanboybeanboy Member Posts: 442
    But only 130HP? 2002 model year, should at least have the Miata motor optional

-Beanboy
    Is that right? I thought it was going to be 150 like the MP3? Still not great, but better. Where did the 130 number come from?

Larry:
    I think that the bright blue car you are thinking of is the MP3. The ONLY pictures that I have seen of the Protege5 are yellow or red. (Except if you play with the colours on the Mazda Australia web site). The colours are listed in the Mazda Canada press release (at least the Canadian ones, but it sounds like the colour choices will be the same in both countries). The blue is very definitely stated as Midnight Blue.

I don't like the look of the car in Sunlight Silver. I played with it on the Australian site, and it just looks too much like the alloy wheels. But to each his own. ;-)

qbrozen and beanboy:
    The Mazda Canada press release that I mention in my posting (#52) is where the engine information came from. The Protege5 has exactly the same engine that is in the 2001 Protege ES (and LX 2.0 for that matter). It will be the 130hp engine. Sorry if that is not what you are looking for, but it is fine for me.

Nomi
    Nomi, thanks for clearing that up. ;-) The midnight blue would be awesome.

-Larry
    Is fine for most folks. But with Mazda trying to get into the spirit of "Zoom-Zoom" and their 155HP Miata claims busted, I would think it would be a priority of there's to get back into the HP race, even at an optional level.

I'm not knocking the car at all, seems to be a great little package and I love the fact wagons are coming back. Just not sure about the Mazda higher-ups making the decisions.
  • maltbmaltb Member Posts: 3,572
    The point is there is more to driving than just getting up to speed faster than everyone else. 130 hp, while not real high, should be enough to get around town and road feel is worth more than power any day of the week.

:)
    C'mon. I mean, handling is great, but speed is pretty damned important. A Geo Metro handles well and has TONS of road feel (I could actually SEE the road through the floor in the last one I was in), but the acceleration would bore a turtle.

I understand that this is quite an exageration compared to 130hp car, but the point is valid. There is something to be said for power. My Alfa Spider is quite slow at 120 hp but you can't beat it for open-top slalom fun. The 5-door sport can't be put in that same category. I wouldn't find a wagon much fun without some real oomph behind it.

I was just talking to my dad last week about how ridiculous the old '72 Ford Country Squire Wagon with a 429cid was. All guts and no glory.

As far as the Metro that I have driven, the handling was piss poor. Mind you, I haven't spent much time in one, but road feel is not about feeling the road. It's about the contact that your car has with the road and the ability to anticipate how your car will move over the road. If I want Geo Metro road feel, I'll stick my foot out the door.

There is something to be said for "middle of the road."

I'm buying a WRX. Its not the fastest. Its not the best handling. And it doesn't stop the quickest. But it gets high marks in ALL of those categories. And that is what its all about. That, to me, is what Zoom Zoom should mean.

I think the 2001 Diablo scored high in those areas as well.

In fact, for the sticker price on the WRX, I'll sell you a Protege 5 that will turn circles around the WRX.

• pocahontaspocahontas Member Posts: 802
    Hopefully Mazda will be releasing more information on the 5 door Sport soon, so we can get back on topic.... ;-)

Btw, has anyone seen the interior features of this vehicle first hand? Any interior pics available yet?

Pocahontas
    Host
    Hatchbacks Message Board
  • hkchanhkchan Member Posts: 420
    It's just a marketing slogan. Everyone has a different set of criteria. Price could be a factor to some people. The WRX should be at least $5.5K more than the Mazda.
    I think we're still talking about the lack of power in the 5-door sport. That counts, doesn't it?

Well, we think the mazda is going to be under $20K, but who knows? The new Axiom was supposed to be $26K fully loaded. Now that turns out to be its BASE price. Go figure.

Well, Maltb. I give up. You're just too full of extremes to be reasonable. I mention a $24K car and you mention a $240K car (or whatever it is). I mention power in a wagon, and you bring up a dinosaur (in age and size) from 1972. Good luck with your Mazda. I'm happy for ya.

that for the price of the Protege 5(under 17k-guaranteed), the car is fair deal. When you compare the WRX at 24k to the P5 at 17k(loaded) we are talking apples and oranges. Don't doubt that I would love a more powerful engine, but the bang for the buck factor is definitely there for the P5.

• pocahontaspocahontas Member Posts: 802
    Also, until Mazda releases some new info for us to talk about... I think we can let just about anything count. That was kinda my point above.

Btw, while we're waiting for more information, some of you may be interested in this discussion: Please introduce yourself! where you can say hello to Tocan: another another Mazda 5 door Sport enthusiast... that's "anxiously awaiting" price information.

Thanks for your participation. ;-)

Pocahontas
    Host
    Hatchbacks/Station Wagons Message Boards
    It can't be both. It started when you mentioned the Metro handled well also. No. The Metro does/did not handle well. Road feel is not equal to feeling the road (bumpy ride). The Protege Sport (or whatever they'll call it) is the same as the ES sedan with a hatch and some interior upgrades. It'll be $1-1.5 K more the ES. The WRX is a big step-up from the regular Impreza.
    Production on the P5 began last month, so expect to see these by summer for sure. I would guess that with some less than exciting product launches that Mazda has had in the past, Mazda is holding out on getting info out there until they are ready to sell.

You can step up to an OBS wagon with 165HP and AWD, should still be able to beat the Mazda in terms of acceleration, and has the most of the things that makes the WRX great.

Okay, I'll admit that I'm a soobie lover. I would just like Mazda to get back in gear and stop having the Miata as a crutch. The TRibute helps, but I still don't understand the zoom-zoom ad with it flying around with Miatas. Let's show people what NOT to do with an SUV, tehe.

As far as the Mazda 5 Door Sport, if they can hold the price to 17K loaded, it will be a decent deal, although it will certainly butt heads with the Focus wagon which incidently has 130HP as well (and no manual in the US), which is something else I don't understand. Shouldn't Mazda and Ford be sharing chassis and engines? Focus certainly has gotten enough good press. Slap on a new body, change the suspension a bit and voila! Mazda 5 door sport. Offer it with a manual and perhaps a slightly higher output 2.0L, and it would be good to go.
    I only said that I was buying a WRX. I didn't mean to imply that it directly compares with the 5-door sport. It is, like you said, in a different price range. If I had to stick with the under $20K cars, then the 5-door sport would definitely be on my test-drive list.

"Its everything" and "its all about balance" is the same thing. You can't be well balanced if you don't take ALL aspects into account. If you accel in one category but are poor in another, than you aren't well balanced.

The OBS is a good comparison. Comparable audience. And the added power and all wheel drive are huge bonuses. And $18,5 keeps it in the neighborhood of the Mazda. I think the Mazda is cooler looking, but looks aren't everything (although they help).

maltb: "Zoom Zoom is not only about 0-60"
    you: "Its everything"

I took it you meant 0-60 was everything. Guess not.
  • leomortleomort Member Posts: 453
    I thought I seen the price at $16,985. But if you want an automatic that's another $800. Isn't the ABS/side air bags a combined option that is another $800? I think the price is going to closer to $18,000 with options most buyers are looking for. Perhaps Mazda will offer rebates and low financing on this vehcile like they did on there other Proteges??

Leo
    They'll probably also want to tack on more if you want the cool ground effects like the show car has. I have a feeling this will get up there in price. We'll see.

hkchan - right, I didn't mean that 0-60 meant everything. Sorry, my fault. I meant that as if to say "zoom zoom is not only about 0-60, it is everything." I was agreeing with maltb and adding to it.

moving on...

The $1-1.5K extra is for the ground effects, body-color mirrors, the different interior and the hatch. There's nothing mechanically different from the regular Protege ES. Since it's heavier, they may need to tune the suspension differently, but that's not a big deal. Yes, we'll see.

If the MSRP is $16,985, then it's $1,450 more than the ES.
    I forgot about the optional casette player for $120.

Yep, those options will add up pretty quick.

Figure with the I options I'd want(automatic, ABS/side air bags, casette player), I could easly hit the 19 grand mark.

Leo
    P5........16,335
    Auto.........800
    ABS..........800
    Cassette......150
    ------------------
    .........$18,085 want one?

Where are these prices coming from? Maybe this was mentioned before, but I can't find it. Can somebody point me to them?

thanks.

Doesn't matter where they came from. If maltb said so, these numbers are correct. Hehe.

maltb, can I assume that I still need to add freight ($480)? So it's "only" $800 (MSRP) more than a regular ES. And it's released as a 2002 model. I may want to get that instead of the ES, but then with no rebate, it's more like $1,500 more.
  • handydoghandydog Member Posts: 19
    Anybody have reliable price info. on the Protoge 5? Hyandui (up?) El antra CT 5-door price info. is out, and those cars should be here in May/June (according to post on the El antra discussion and word from a local dealer). A dealer indicated that the Protoge 5 should be in dealers' show rooms in June/July, but no word yet on prices.

Also, if I go by the Edmunds comparison, and assuming that the hatch versions are comparable to the sedan versions, the Mazda should be a better car. Anyone driven either car much to provide some insight on this? I am thinking of driving the two sedan versions to see if I notice much difference.
    Scroll up three posts.
    Supposedly, the Elantra wagon/hatchback's suspension is firmer than the sedan's.
    I added the destination charge, so say 18.5. not too far of from my 19 grand :) Not a bad guess on my part. not trying to knock the P5 just get a price for comparison shopping. no offense meant or intended.

Leo
    Where are these price figures coming from? I test drove a Protoge AS and it is a very nice car. I am sold on the AS 5-door, but these prices people are throwing around are very high. The 5-door is just a different body style and it seems that the price should be close to the sedan. The roof extends out, but it is also shorter, so I don't think that the body style should make a huge difference. The plastic around the bottom also really should not be a big expense. I just don't see where it should cost $1,500 more than the sedan.
    The P5 at $16,335/MSRP is $800 more than the ES at $15,535/MSRP. The "real" difference is more like $1,500 since there was/is a $750 rebate on the ES. The P5 is a 2002 model. By the time (and if) the P5 has a rebate, the 2001 ES should have an even bigger rebate (close to clearance time for the 2001 model year). Plus the P5 should at least initially command a higher markup from the invoice than the ES, unless you can find a dealer willing to sell one through the S-Plan.
    but, WHERE did that 16,335 price come from???

This question has been asked several times and I haven't seen a response yet.

We've got numbers listed in this topic so far of $16,985 and $16,335. And there has also been many comments that the prices haven't even been determined yet. What is the real answer? And, if you know the answer, WHERE did you get it from?

Thanks

If you don't trust me you can wait and see. After all, you'll know the price before they hit dealers.
    It's more accurate to say prices have not been released to the general public yet. And maltb is not the general public. He'll probably have to kill you if he tells you how he got them. Hehe.
    to cause envy in the hearts of the non-attending. Sounds like you guys had a great time.
    I just got an email from a dealer here in KC who indicated that the tenitive base price was $16,335. Sorry that I doubted you. The dealer also indicated that I could order one now, so they must have a pretty good idea of pricing, availability and such. I am kind of disappointed. Add ABS and the price goes over $17,000, which is getting into turbo Volkswagen land. It is also $2-3k more than the Elantra GT or Focus ZX3 (with similar equipment).
  • poochypoochy Member Posts: 1
    handydog, I got a pamphle from the Vancouver Auto Show over the weekend, and it says ABS and 4-wheel disc brakes are standard. Maybe this is only in the Canadian version??
    Canadian specs and US specs are frequently different. Americans get more options, where Canadians fewer choices. It relates to the size of the market. (But I don't think that anyone has posted real information on US specs.)

Nomi
    I think a better comparison may be the Focus Street Wagon. Comparing 2 doors to 4 doors doesn't work well in this class. When you do that, the MSRP is in Mazda's favor.

Concerning the Elantra:
    Hmmm, Hyundai vs. Mazda? You expect the same MSRP? I guess you would have to expect the same level of quality.

This discussion has been closed.