Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Jeep Wrangler

Comments

• ike21ike21 Member Posts: 14
    I have been selling Fords and Jeeps for years and if you have the tenacity, you can get a better deal negotiating yourself than a friends and family deal. Its all a hoax yo make you feel warm and fuzzy inside or a way for people to avoid "negotiating" but you are getting a little screwed over. I feed off people who hate the negotiating. Spend 30 minutes to an hour more at the sales table, and you could save 2 to 5 thousand dollars more than Friends and Family.
  • ike21ike21 Member Posts: 14
    NO the Jeep hard top won't work. It goes on but leaks and whistles!
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Even better - after test driving and finding your ride, then find an internet savvy salesperson at a shop that has online inventory and just show up at the dealer to sign the papers. The good ones are figuring out that people want email responses to their quote requests and don't want to hassle with a phone call or a demand to come down to the sales floor to haggle in person for hours.

From talking to people at the home office last week, it sounds like the present rate is two responsive quotes for every five quote requests you do (via Edmunds or one of the other dealer quote services). The other three either never respond or you get a call wanting to know "what can we do to sell you a car today?" Those you ignore. :shades:

Check out the Smart Shopper and Prices Paid: Buying & Leasing Experiences boards for real experiences and this member blog post today was pretty funny - The 5 steps to finding the perfect Car Salesman.
  • roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,356
    Everyone who rides in my JEEP complains.

My wife drives an X3 and her only real criticism of my 1999 Sahara soft top is that it is a little noisy above 60 mph- but she still likes it. I put Bilstein HDs on it- the ride is far from smooth but very well controlled. We've taken it on 200-240 mile day trips with no complaints(well, my son does wish the radio had an auxilliary input...).

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• sedaliasedalia Member Posts: 14
    I am seriously considering buying a well-maintained and cosmetically attractive '01 Wrangler Sport 130K with automatic transmission for my teenager who will use it to communte to high school, take up to the local ski areas, maybe a fishing trip or two in the summer. Other than relatively crappy gas mileage (to a sedan ?) I wonder what kind of "land mines" I might anticipate ? Thanks !
  • wpowellwpowell Member Posts: 125
    This topic has been covered in some depth here, but I'm not sure a search would readily turn it up. Unless you have an exceptionally responsible teenager who also happens to have exceptional teenage driving skills a wrangler is not a good choice in the opinion of most mature owners. Short wheelbase, relatively high center of gravity, quirky handling, spotty crash test results, poor security, etc. make them generally a poor choice for young drivers. They are very popular for this segment for reasons like affordability and image, but I would buy my teen driver something big, slow and stable. Good luck!
  • mac24mac24 Member Posts: 3,910
    ...... relatively high center of gravity, quirky handling, spotty crash test results..

All of which are exacerbated when it's driven around with a bunch of friends standing in the back and holding onto the roll bar.

A popular scenario (or at least wishful thinking) for young male drivers, especially if the rear passengers are female.
  • sedaliasedalia Member Posts: 14
    Well, there are great points there mac24 and wpowell, and I sure do appreciate your kind and thoughtful answers. Still, maybe it's just my mid-life crisis sensibilities that are pushing me towards further consideration of what looks like a vehicle that will have low maintainance costs and start in during our Colorado winter, since it will not be garaged, yet get him where he needs to be without me having to bail him out so to speak...maybe if we just leave the hard-top on and take out the back seat some of those issues can expected to be mitigated. I wonder if there is some formal Jeep training course in which he can enroll near of south Denver ? Most of inquiry would therefore seem to be service-oriented issues on a Wrangler from this year and that many miles?
  • goducks1goducks1 Member Posts: 432
    In that case, it'd be pretty reliable. They'd worked out most of the kinks by that time. I don't think the manifold issue affects post-2000 Jeeps.

It's definitely not the safest car for a teen, but it's not all that fast either so it's not like he'll be driving it 100mph. You'd have to impress on him the high center of gravity and the need to take turns slower than a car. And that increased traction in the snow from 4wd does not include increased braking in the snow. I drove my Jeep all over the Oregon Cascades in winter and it performed like a champ.
  • koolbreeze2koolbreeze2 Member Posts: 252
    I would agree. If you do the Jeep, pay attention to what everyone is saying. It will go where it wants to if "close" attention is not on the road. A slick rain with the wrong tires and it will be a rollerskate. I have had 3 and have lost control of all 3 at least once. It only takes a little speed and the wrong conditions. And thats when I was paying attention. It can be a very unforgiving vehicle (but alot of fun-that's the problem). John
  • hayneldanhayneldan Member Posts: 657
    Saw a pair of decals on the rear window of a Wrangler in Bloomingale, Il. that read " official H2 recovery vehicle" and "official H3 recovery vehicle"
  • wpowellwpowell Member Posts: 125
    Yeah, and I think Mac is the owner of an "Official Wrangler Recovery Vehicle". Conspicuously absent from the sticker list was "H1 Recovery Vehicle" :)
    ;)
    I don't care what you drive - if you aren't getting stuck you aren't playing hard enough.
    Oh you don't have to play hard to get stuck.
    Some people manage without even trying. :)

However, those that off-road regularly are divided into two groups.
    Those that have got stuck, and those that will get stuck!
  • erickplerickpl Member Posts: 2,735
    I've been stuck - I just know better than to get pics of it when it is happening. ;)

-Paul
  • corblimey2corblimey2 Member Posts: 5
    I am considering a sahara 4x4 with manual transmission and would be grateful for input regarding the following:

1) What is the best way to extend the "clutch life". For instance when approaching a red light is it best to engage neutral and take one's foot off the clutch or is it best to leave the car in gear with the clutch engaged?

2) What symptoms does a failing clutch make?

3) is there any role in prophylactically changing the clutch at say for instance 60,000 miles?

4) finally, is it possible to obtain a roof rack for a hard top?

thanks in advance

SAA
    1: Wear on the friction plate is caused when you 'slip' the clutch. So, ease up on the pedal smoothly and quickly as you move off and as you change gear. At all other times your foot should be off the pedal.
    Depress the pedal just before you come to a halt, engage neutral and remove your foot from the pedal while braking to a final stop at the same time.
    All the time your foot is on the clutch pedal, either resting on it or depressing it, the release bearing is wearing.
    Additionally, don't coast up to the light either in neutral or with the pedal depressed, as (a) you aren't benefiting from the control given by engine braking, and (b) you don't have the option of accelerating forward immediately if conditions change for any reason.

2: An engine rpm increase without a corresponding increase in
    ground speed, sometimes accompanied by an unpleasant smell.

3: Maybe...so much depends on variables like driving style and load that you can't guess at clutch life unless you've personally driven the vehicle since new.
    If you need peace of mind for whatever reason, then you'll probably want to inspect it, though remember it makes no economic sense to reinstall an old clutch.

4: Yes...but that isn't a clutch question!
  • corblimey2corblimey2 Member Posts: 5
    Dear mac24

thank you for your advice

corblimey2
    Mac is dead on- as usual. I'd only add that I have a 1999 Sahara with 103K on the odometer and the original clutch assembly is still functioning perfectly- as is the rest of the Jeep, come to think of it... :D

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• mafigueroamafigueroa Member Posts: 2
    I need help on how to replace the spekers,on a 1988 wrangler ,pease help
  • yjbobyjbob Member Posts: 56
    Kind of quiet here lately, but I still like this forum, and I check it often.
    109,000 miles on my '95 YJ - got a date to change the fuel pump & filter in a couple of weeks. Otherwise we keep rolling along quite nicely.
    Hope all is well with all of you.
  • goldpannergoldpanner Member Posts: 6
    Greetings all! I'm new to the forum and I'm actively in the market to buy my first Wrangler. I'm settling in on the 98-03 models, Sport or Sahara. I talked to one owner who told me to buy anything between 00 and 03, because of the beefier manual trans. Anything to that? I'm also quite sure I'd rather have the manual vs. the auto trans, I like to have more control than the auto would offer. I've also decided on definitely getting the hardtop(although, I've seen some really nice soft tops that do appeal). Any words of wisdom for this soon to be proud owner? I do like to get out in it to do some gold panning. I'll soon be returning to the Lake Tahoe area to live and wanted something for any condition. I'd appreciate any comments and suggestions. Thanks and I'm glad I found this forum.
  • Welcome to the group...Gold panning, cool! Fits right in with a Jeep lifestyle so good choice of your next vehicle. Review the posts here from many looking for advice on manual vs. auto and it always comes down to personal preference. Like you said, lots like the total control of which gear gets the power. I was so torn, I bought one of each! :blush: I have an automatic and a manual in the Wrangler Unlimited styles ('05 and '06 respectively). After having the manual for just six months, I'm leaning toward liking the automatic better due to the smooth power on unimproved roads. I seem to concentrate on terrain better and enjoy the view more with the automatic. I tend to be a little "jerky" on the throttle/drive-train as the terrain gets bumpier. The manual just seems more "on/off" in terms of throttling as my foot jostles around on the pedal as things get bumpy whereas the automatic seems to "absorb" those little throttle changes caused by my foot bumping around as the Jeep humps and bumps along. Could be my techique needs improvement, too. ;)

I wish you luck in your Jeep search...I hope it "pans-out"...sorry, I just had to say it. Better yet, I hope you find enough glitter to pay her off or at least buy her new meats or some fun mods. Be sure to show her off here when you get her.
  • mropatmropat Member Posts: 3
    I'm only a short time Wrangler owner and I firmly believe that the Rubicon is the only way to go. I've had mine stuck in nearly bumper deep clay and it's crawled out on its own. The equivilant can be done to a Sport or Sahara if you want to spend the added money on after market parts and installation. As for hard top or soft top, I live in Maryland and with the winters here I have absolutely no need for a hard top.
  • erickplerickpl Member Posts: 2,735
    For your area in Tahoe, a Rubicon makes good sense. The manual transmission was changed from the AX-15 to the beefier NV3550 transmission in later years, so that statement is valid. The manual transmission can be picky offroad, but hand throttles are easily installed to help 'smooth' things out if your foot bounces. I've offroaded some interesting terrain, and I've gotten pretty good at keeping my foot stable. For those rough times, the hand throttle is a good help.

In California, a hard top would be nice for the snow, but you will want something soft for the summer. A soft top or a cheaper safari top would serve you VERY well. It would protect you from the hot sun at elevation (believe me, I know about Cali sun at elevation!), and provide some protection from rain, should you get some when the top is off.

IF you plan to do this w/o any other vehicles, be sure to invest in a quality winch and follow safe practices for self recovery (shovels, snatch blocks, ground anchors, etc). Be sure you know what you're doing and do so safely.

-Paul
    Thanks jimlw2!

I don't have a great deal of trouble with a manual. I cut my teeth on manuals in the deserts of southern Utah and northern Arizona. That's where I discovered how much I liked having a manual in those conditions. Actually fell in love with jeeps when I used to drive my uncles old WWII model all over the Arizona Strip. Believe me, there were places I went that would make even the most hardy of four-wheelers flinch with that old jeep. I think I found her though! An 02 Sport, black with slate gray interior, 2" lift, hardtop and only 49,000 miles on her. I've contacted the dealer and now I have to make the 300 mile trip to check her out. Wish me luck! :D
    A Rubicon would be great mropat. But some of us have to work for a living in Bushworld! ;) I've looked at the Rubicon with great admiration, then came back to earth after the sticker shock. Guess I'll have to do it like you said, ". . .after market parts and installation." That's okay. Seems that's the chosen method from what I've garnered from those on the forum. It let's you form a bond with your baby. :P Kind of like the bond I have with my '65 VW Bus. I still have that thing and she runs like a champ.

Query: With the winters in Maryland, don't you mean you have no need for a "soft top?"
    Thanks for the tranny info erickpl. That's what I was told.
    Your right about the soft top in summer up in Tahoe. How could you not want to ride around topless on a glorious summer day in Tahoe at 80 degrees? However, Tahoe is also notorious for late afternoon thunderstorms that rise up from the Nevada desert, so a safari top is definitely on my list of "must haves." Not to mention, the winch. After being stuck many times in southern Utah without one, the one time I had one on my uncles old WWII jeep, taught me a valuable lesson. I'm sure I'll be seeking you out for info about what type is best when the time to purchase arrives. You may not believe this, but I've got into some pretty incredible places with my '65 VW bus and didn't have a problem. I remember, while serving in the military on NATO exercises in Germany, how the German Army went all over and through the notorious Black Forest mud with those VW vanagons and transports. Really made the American passion for bigness seem trite.
    I just walked out on deal for an 01 Sahara that was in excellent shape. Only 41,500 miles on her and the idiots wanted to quibble over $400 bucks! The pre-approved loan I have has a Loan to Value ratio limit on it and they were $400 over and wouldn't budge. Gawd! I'm so pissed! It was such a good lil baby, too! Maybe they'll come around and give me a call. Geez, car dealers! :mad:
  • carlosarturohpcarlosarturohp Member Posts: 4
    hey you guys, I just sold my 1998 wrangler with manual transmission, and I'm willing to buy another wrangler, what can you sugest me to buy? manual or auto transmission, considerating that I go to the beach and run in the sand, and sometimes also I go to run in mud, I have put in mind 6 cilinders, hard top and air condition, but cant decide if I want manual or auto, please let me know, also I'm going for a 2001 or 2002. please let me know what you all think.
    They met me half way on that Sahara! $200 dollars down and I pick her up tomorrow! Yehaw! Here's a pic of her. :shades:
    Just click on goldpanner above and click on Visit my Carspace!
  • slices17slices17 Member Posts: 35
    Hi,

Just got a 2008 Wrangler X last week and I am thinking of installing running boards or side steps. Don't want to do it myself (I'm gonna mess it up somehow. I know it!). Can anyone recommend a good place in south Jersey (Cherry Hill, Marlton, Medford areas) to get them installed?

Thanks in advance.

Ray
  • deirdrebethdeirdrebeth Member Posts: 2
    I did a combo of both. The "on the lot" sticker said $19,999 marked down to $17,999. The "online sales" sticker said $14,999 - I paid $11,999 minus my trade in. So negotiating is even possible beyond the internet price.

My secret weapon - said "no thank you" and picked up my purse twice. The first got me from the $18 sticker to $14, the second got me to $12. Then saying "no thank you" twice to the finance guy when he offered me the service plan got my interest rate down two more points plus the service plan down a grand (I'm spending a total of $8/month on the bumper-to-bumper plan).

Good luck - just remember to *really* be willing to walk out the door!

ddb
  • drumfreekdrumfreek Member Posts: 1
    My question is this to everyone.....
    I received the TPS Check engine code (as determined by AutoZOne testing). Sounds like TPS because of the skipping feel while driving.
    Changed out TPS and still have light and skip. Do you think I received a bad module.
  • johnwwwatsonjohnwwwatson Member Posts: 1
    Very impressive! Where did you get yours?

I am shopping as well, hope I am as diligent.

john in SoCal.
  • tedebeartedebear Member Posts: 832
    Changed out TPS and still have light and skip. Do you think I received a bad module.

Did you reset the computer and clear the fault code after you changed the sensor? Also, check for damaged wiring to the TPS.
  • yjohnyjohn Member Posts: 32
    I'm looking to replace the vacuum actuator on the front axle of my YJ. The local dealer quoted me $250 for the part, but I also found the 4x4 posi lock system online for $165. Is there a cheaper OE source? Which option should I go with?

Thanks

John
    Ok, you guys have to check out Wantajt's video he just put up on his CarSpace page. It makes me nostalgic for my old CJ-5.
  • fairviewfairview Member Posts: 20
    Good video after I turned the music off.
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    LoL! I muted it too. :)

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
  • dirtninjadirtninja Member Posts: 1
    Im looking to get my first jeep ever and have a soft spot for the Unlimited Sahara with some extras tow pkg, freedom top. I was wondering if the full doors are removeable?
  • miller350miller350 Member Posts: 2
    I have a 95 yj that stopped working ( luckly at home). The electrinic all seem to be working but won't turnover. Hear everything comeon when i turn the key but not cranking. checked the fuses all looked good. Any ideas?
    Any ideas?
    I'd check the following items in order:
    Battery- may have enough power to light everything up, but not enough amps to crank the starter
    Solenoid
    Starter

• gman1259gman1259 Member Posts: 209
    I have a 2004 Wrangler. The dash lights will not light up and the headlights warning signal does not work. I looked for a blown fuss, but could not find one. Anyone have any ideas where to look?
  • miller350miller350 Member Posts: 2
    Battery was fully charged, it was the starter hit it with a hammer and she fired right up

thx
  • goducks1goducks1 Member Posts: 432
    Anyone have a recommendation for a good sand/street tire? My BFG A/Ts are almost wore out and I'd get new ones, but living on the NC coast I don't need something with an aggressive tread anymore. I do need something for the occasional beach drive.
  • eltipoeltipo Member Posts: 21
    Anyone have an idea as to how many 2-door Unlimiteds were built from 2004-2006? I have one and am curious as to how "rare" it is (not that I think it's actually worth anything more because of limited availability). I wonder how it compares on the trail next to a 4-door, hmmm...

Thanks,
  • printzprintz Member Posts: 70
    Not sure who followed my posts, but here's the update....The dealership tried for 2 months to try & fix the roof leaks, Chrysler's own tech. could not fix it)....They've had me in a rental for 47 days......They decided to repurchase the vehicle for the entire purchase price + accessories I had installed)...Recieved the check & did the paperwork yesterday....The only stipulation was that I had to purchase or lease another chrysler product...I leased an 08 Liberty for 27 months, the cheapest lease I could get...

Good luck to all others with the hard top...Maybe I was just the unlucky 1, but do not think so...
  • byredbyred Member Posts: 2
    I am new to forum.Just read the post on a leaky roof on Wrangler 08 Sahara. I looked at a 2007 used Unlimited soft top yesterday and the floor was soaked. Dealer couldn't explain except he stated that all Jeep roofs leak. This was news to me since I had owned a 89 and a 94 both with soft tops and never had a problem. Is this common on the new 07 and 08 Wranglers? Why doesn't Jeep have a solution?