Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and Earlier - Toyota Highlander Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• terry92270terry92270 Member Posts: 1,247
    I wonder if it might be a good idea for the moderator(s) to add a line in the title, saying please specify :confuse:
  • goldie7goldie7 Member Posts: 7
    Which dealer was offering this? I want the same but with the NV added.

Cheers!
    Deal or no Deal? What do you think?

06 LTD 2WD w/3RD ROW (6932)

FE, EY, HD, LA, LL, NV, TO, VV, Z1

$31,999 after $2,000 rebate + TTL
    Hybrid or not :confuse:
  • desertfox1desertfox1 Member Posts: 80
    FYI - Anytime a poster is saying they are getting a rebate, it is NOT on a hybrid since they are offering 0% financing only.
    Well the problem is, some misuse the word "rebate" when they mean tax credit. ;)
  • desertfox1desertfox1 Member Posts: 80
    :cry: OK - Agreed. Then we also have look for 2k for a "rebate" and 2.6k for a "credit".
    LMAO

Give me a friggin headache! :P
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,720
    Let's just let the members post their prices... I don't think it'll be too hard to separate Hybrid from non-Hybrid....

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

Not Hybrid....
    Uh...so is that a good deal for a non-hybrid? :confuse:
    Not hybrid, but turns out it's for the 6938 model...AWD, not 2WD. So, "better" deal for that?
    Yes, I think so. :)

Check the posts above, because some are getting the Highlander Hybrid Limited for nearly that!
  • eganoppermaneganopperman Member Posts: 1
    I need advice. My lease is ending this month on my 2002 4 cyclinder Highlander. It has about 23,000 and the buyout is
    approximately $12,000. My friend says instead of giving it back to Toyota I should (1) pay for it in cash; (2) not buy an extended warranty; (3) keep it for 2 years and bank about $9,000 in car payments; and, (4) then sell it or use it as a trade in. If I buy it, I'm going to have to pay about $1,000 in sales tax and I don't think I'll go through the hassle of a private sale. Does it make more sense to give it back use some or all of the $12,000 sitting in the bank as a downpayment and get new car with an interest free loan from Toyota? What would you do? TIA. Egan.
    Well, I like to keep a newer car, so I usually sell or trade mine every three years.

Sounds to me like that is what you like as well. For 0% financing, that is what I would do....depending on what you can swing monthly, I would put the absolute least amount down that I could, and take their interest free loan, and purchase a Highlander Hybrid Limited, and then I would be saving another $1,000+ per year in gasoline as well. ;)
  • dzubadzuba Member Posts: 159
    Do either of these vehicles offer Bluetooth?

Comments on the NAV system?
    Thanks
    JBL® 3-in-1 AM/FM Cassette/6-disc in-dash CD
    changer, eight speakers in six locations and in-glass antenna with FM diversity reception

I don't see anything about Bluetooth....

The NAV system is slammin and like a microwave...once you have had one, doing without is impossible.
  • highlandhybridhighlandhybrid Member Posts: 4
    Search for the video on Highlander Hybrid tech at cnettv.com. No bluetooth, or rear video camera.
  • toyoconverttoyoconvert Member Posts: 6
    Our 3 year old Volvo turbo wagon was destroyed last week while parked in an office lot by a poor fellow who had some sort of seizure, left the road and drove 100 feet more before hitting our car at 45 mph. I think he is ok.

We test drove the '06 HL and both loved it! So I made a deal for a leftover on the lot - I think I got a good deal using the info on Edmunds-did I?

06 Limited v6 4wd, 3rd seat
    leather/sunroof/Jbl upgrade/extra airbags/tow prep/floor mats, cargo net/wheeel locks
    MSRP: $35,930.

$30,200. plus $299 Document fee, and $90 registration fee. Sales tax not included. Rebate included.
    Hybrid or not?

At that price you could snag a hybrid. ;)
  • lostcanyonlostcanyon Member Posts: 2
    Toyota Highlander
    4Dr SUV; 3.3L 6cyl 5A;Black
    Front wheel Drive
    option:
    Appearance Package
    8-Way Power Driver's Seat
    Towing Prep. Package
    Fog Lamps
    Daytime Running Lights

Out the door price(after tax & $1500 rebate):US$24,000

I need to make decision now, really appreciate your help!
    Looking at the post above yours, for the AWD Limited, with 3rd row, your price looks good to me..... :)

But I would press them and see if you can get the Hybrid for a couple grand more!
  • lostcanyonlostcanyon Member Posts: 2
    thanks!
    another question: Is AWD only useful in snowing weahter? I just feel like that 2WD SUV is not real SUV. Maybe I am wrong
    SUV = Sport Utility Vehicle. So it is that.

IMO, AWD is better and safer in snow and WET conditions as well, as well as Forrest Service dirt roads. :)
  • forthillforthill Member Posts: 34
    I plan on going to a few local dealers from now until the end of the month to see what they have left in the Highlander inventory.
    I'd be looking for an AWD (or 4WD) 6 cyl Highlander without any navigation package. Basically, whatever they have I am ok with, provided the cost is reasonable. I don't want/need the hybrid vehicle.
    I don't need/want the third row seat, although if the car had it then I would not refuse it. As long as it has leather and a decent stereo system/speakers then I'm good to go. Anything else is ok, although not necessary.

Am I better served at this very moment by getting some quotes from internet pricing services (off the Edmunds site) and the usual TMV/Edmunds pricing before heading off to a dealer (in Westchester county NY) just to gauge what I should be asking? Can I anticipate/expect $2000-$3000 of MSRP for remaining inventory?

Thanks!
    So, you have no interest in saving about $1500, perhaps more each year? :surprise:

That is aproximately what the Hybrid would save you in gasoline. $7,500 over five years is about the same, and usually less, than the premium people pay for the Hybrid. And of course you would also get the Federal Tax Credit. I have seen Highland Hybrids posted here that people have bought, recently, for about $4,000 over the standard Highlander.

The performance details for the Hybrid are no less than the standard, according to the independent reviews.

Most car salesmen will tell you having a NAV package will get you more on resale than one without, essentially rendering it cost-free, so I don't think ruling it out is a wise move.

Read back over the three or four pages preceeding your post before deciding... ;)
    Okay... not everyone wants a hybrid.. for any number of reasons..

This discussion is to report Prices Paid and buying experiences... not to convince everyone they are buying the wrong car.. even if you are sure of it!! ;)

So... let's hear about the prices!!

Thanks,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

I just agreed to buy an '06 Limited (non hybrid)with all factory options except nav and dvd for $30,200 with floor mats, wheels locks and cargo net. MSRP is $35,930. Tax, title, doc prep is extra.

We can't justify the Hybrid because we only drive each car 7,000 miles per year. Maybe I'd save $200 a year at best. And dealers aren't discounting the hybrids much, if at all, because of the tax credit.

Finally, with regards to the NAVI system being great in resale, I believe that is wrong. First, my Garmin Nuvi is better than Toyota at $600. I've used both, I know. And my Garmin goes into rental cars, our other car and I've loaned it out to friends too. I thnk the 3rd seat yuo don't care about is actually a better resale feature than NAVI

Second, if you trade in your car after 4 years, the car is great but the navi may be already obsolete. You might get back $400 of the $2k.

Just my take -
  • maxxladymaxxlady Member Posts: 21
    I totally agree with you!! Not everyone will save money on a hybrid -- I calculated that with the miles I drive, it would take me 14 years to break even. Well, I'll probably have a new car by then....
    I myself will be grateful merely to be alive and in relatively good health by then! Seriously, I think hybrid HL is a good buy for an affluent driver driving a minimum of 15k per year. Most Hybrid calculators I see figure 15k per year miles@$3. per gallon by 10 years.
    Yes, well, environmental concerns should mean nothing, lol. :P
    The reason I put only 6500 miles a year on my car is because I ride my bicycle to work, so LOL to you.
    My response wasnt to you, and I am sorry if it appeared so, but to everyone....price, gas savings and environmental concerns all play a part, no?

Consumer Reports recently wrote:

Several hybrids--the Honda Accord, Lexus RX400h, Toyota Highlander, and Toyota Prius--are outstanding overall packages that score at or near the top of their categories in our Ratings (available to subscribers). Not only do the Accord, Highlander, and RX400h provide moderately better fuel economy than their conventional counterparts, but they also provide notably quicker acceleration. The Highlander and Prius [Hybrids] are among our Top Picks for 2006.
    No argument there - I was just pointing out that from a cost perspective, the HH may not make $$$ sense for many families in the real world. I do not dispute the inherent goodness of hybrids, although I will note that buying an Accord H and getting lower mpg for $30k than the 4cyl $17k model is, well, dumb!

If you are buying merely to be green, there are many other choices as good or better for Mo' Earth, although maybe a bit less cool. Ya don't need a HH - just walk, bike, carpool when you can, combine trips, keep your tire properly inflated and stuff like that and your overall "human mpg" will shoot right up there!

That said, I have no issue with folks buying these and I am happy to suuport you with my contributions to your state and federal tax relief.
    ROFL! :P

I hear you. ;)
  • rbell2rbell2 Member Posts: 180
    I am looking at a '06 Highlander, V-6, 2WD, 3rd Row. It has all the air bags, alloys, sunroof, tow package. The MSRP with no add-ons is $29,994. The best deal I am getting is $25,994 or $4,000 off including the rebate. Am I close to the best deal to be had on this vehicle? Thanks.
    From this post above, it appears so! :)

Toyota Highlander
    4Dr SUV; 3.3L 6cyl 5A;Black
    Front wheel Drive
    option:
    Appearance Package
    8-Way Power Driver's Seat
    Towing Prep. Package
    Fog Lamps
    Daytime Running Lights

Out the door price(after tax & $1500 rebate):US$24,000
  • casnasscasnass Member Posts: 3
    I just walked out of a Toyota Dealer. I am looking for a 2006 Highlander Limited leather pkg etc.... MSRP $34,180. Selling Price $31,850. 59% residual .00275MF with a $1,500 incentive discount. I have the 36/mo lease payment priced at $434 with 0 down. They wouldn't budge $2,000 $449/mo. Is my math wrong or is this dealership crazy? :mad:
    I believe they base their leases on 39 months, and that would be the more advantageous term.

We have this confusion here, as this forum is within the Hybrid forum...you are talking about a Highlander Limited, Hybrid at that price :confuse:
    This forum is not within the Hybrid forum.. But, it is linked to the Highlander Hybrid forum.

This forum resides under Prices Paid: Buying & Leasing Experiences forums.

You may have arrived here through the Hybrid forum, but sometimes a cigar is just a cigar.. ;)

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

Not my bad, kyfdx....in checking the top of the page, this is what I see....

You are here: Forums / Hybrid Vehicles / Toyota Highlander Hybrid / Toyota Highlander: Prices Paid & Buying Experience

I understand what you are saying, but the darn place has lots of posts, not just by me, confused....maybe this is something you Moderators and the Edmunds folks need to make clearer or maybe add instructions/explanation to specify Hybrid or not :confuse:
  • casnasscasnass Member Posts: 3
    This is for a Highlander Limited. Any help is appreciated.
  • taylor35taylor35 Member Posts: 39
    Took delivery this past Saturday of Black '07 HH Limited 4wd loaded with everything except entertainment system. Paid about $500 over invoice on last day of full tax credit (last Saturday) -- they had tried to get in an '06 and couldn't so got the "07 for same deal.

So far it is lots of fun to drive and very comfortable ride. Coming off a Denali XL, so totally different vehicle. Double the gas mileage is nice and it is ALOT easier to fit in the garage!
  • sammyssammys Member Posts: 30
    If I purchase a new Highlander (or any car for that matter) from one dealer and I want it serviced at another dealer they (the other dealer) would legitimately/legally have to service my car correct?
    I seem to remember, and maybe this was years ago, that other dealers sometime would not service a car not purchased from them.

Obviously I want to shop around for the beat deal and if I don't get that deal at my local dealer then I'll buy it where I can and have it serviced locally.

Thanks.
    SammyS
    From an economic standpoint, it makes no difference whatsoever to a dealer, where the car was purchased from. Toyota provides the same dollar amounts to any dealer handling a warranty claim.

In fact any authorized repair facility, one that doesn't even sell cars, will get the same amount for handling warranty work. :)

I have not heard of a dealer not servicing cars not bought from them, and it violates their distrubution deal to do so.
    Just wondering if there were/are any rebates for a non-Hybrid Highlander (2006).

Also, what are people's thoughts on car buying services such as carcash? There is another outfit only in NY called bigbucksauto. Anyone use this service?
    I have a 99 Mercedes ML320 SUV that I want to sell and I can either take a bath by trading it in at Toyota when I buy a new Highlander, or sell it on my own (don't want the hassle), or use a car buying service. Unfortunately, the nearest carcash place to me is 100 miles away in Hartford CT (I live in White Plains NY).

Thanks,
    SammyS
  • cowboy7cowboy7 Member Posts: 16
    I checked out a few places. Manufacturer to customer rebates dropped from $1,000-1,500 to $400 for 2006 non-hybrid HL starting 10/3.
    Ok, I just got back from Toyota City in Mamaroneck NY. They said there is a $1500 rebate for Highlanders until the end of October.

BTW...for a non-hybrid Highlander (base - 6cyl, AWD, options of AG, CF, LF, EH, RL) they would sell for $26,500. The sticker MSRP is $28,914

SammyS
    Credits dropped on Oct. 1st.

Here are the 50% credit amounts for October 1, 2006 through March 31, 2007:

2005 Prius: $1,575
    2006 Highlander 4WD Hybrid: $1,300
    2006 Highlander 2WD Hybrid: $1,300
    2006 Lexus RX400h 2WD: $1,100
    2006 Lexus RX400h 4WD: $1,100
    2006 Prius: $1,575
    2007 Camry Hybrid: $1,300
    2007 Lexus GS 450h: $775
    2007 Lexus RX 400h: $1,100
    2007 Toyota Highlander Hybrid: $1,300
    2007 Toyota Prius: $1,575
    Toyota dealers make a killing in their service dept. Their net revenue and margins are very high and they are not going to turn away work (warranty or not) just because a car is purchased elsewhere.

Only thing you could lose out on is any local specials -- my dealer has free lifetime car washes -- you take the car in anytime and run it thru their stand alone wash. Not a huge deal, but nice to have I guess!