Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and Earlier - Toyota Highlander Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• gowvugowvu Member Posts: 3
    I dont know much about the resale value for a 4X4 over a 4X2; if a 4X4 fetches a better resale value, then I think you have a good deal; if not, then you can definitely get another option installed in the vehicle for the extra money if you go for a 4X2 instead of a 4X4

i spoke to the dealer again today regarding my invoice on the HL 4X2 sport, and he tells me that the best he can offer is $700 over the invoice; i am seriously considering this; no one else has given me such a deal so far
  • cfonnercfonner Member Posts: 1
    Iam in the process of getting the Limited without Nav and Dvd. Best price so far 35.5. Good Deal? Or find lower? SO APPRECIATE THE INPUT!
  • lucky_777lucky_777 Member Posts: 205
    we don't need your spam here, go away.
  • toyo2008toyo2008 Member Posts: 6
    :shades: I got offer for a pretty much loaded 4WD sports HL, $35400, it comes with leather, sunroof, Navagation, JBL, remote start , towing, cold package. Is this a good deal, price does not include Tax and license.
    The $35,400 was quoted for $400 above invoice, ( invoice was about $35000) should I go for it. I am in the Northwest region. thanks
  • edukatedredhededukatedredhed Member Posts: 41
    Well, considering I just paid $35k for my 4x2 that has everything yours does EXECPT remote start, I'd say go for it! ;)
  • ekkiekki Member Posts: 4
    Was in the same position as you sonysw. Was going to buy the Lexus and decided at the last minute to see the highlander in order to rule it out. However, the interior was far nicer and updated than the lexus was ... and i opted for the H Limited with Nav with some extra options for exactly the same quote you got. 36,324. $500 over invoice.

I was quoted 46,200 for the Hybrid, but the limited gain in miles wasn't worth the price difernce. I opted for the non Hybrid Toyota over the Lexus RX happily.
    Thanks for your input, by the way, it also comes with remote engine start too. I think I should go for it, will post my experience after purchase.
  • iluvcars4iluvcars4 Member Posts: 4
    Depends on what options you have got on the vehicle? Otherwise $35,000 invoice price for Sports 4x4 is high. Did you check in KBB or is that what the dealer showed it to you?
  • findmefindme Member Posts: 36
    A dealership close to my home is offering zero percent financing on 08 Highlanders and Siennas for 48 months. Is this something all Toyota dealers are offering?
  • mtairyordgemtairyordge Member Posts: 144
    Hey can you identify the dealer and the city /state?
  • smith1smith1 Member Posts: 283
    Toyota is running a financing promotion on Highlander right now, but it's 2.9/3.9% not 0%....so I'd guess the dealer is at least partially underwriting the 0%. Which means they may not be as flexible on price.
  • mmoreno1978mmoreno1978 Member Posts: 106
    Those rates are only for the Sport and the Base models.

We just purchased a Limited and were given a rate of 6.51% from Toyota. Our FICO scores are over 800.

$665 a month for 60 months with $3K down payment. Every dealer we called said they couldnt match our deal.

We purchased a Limited with Option A. We paid $400 under invoice with a $1000 coupon from Toyota.
  • cmotescmotes Member Posts: 1
    Greetings- Newbie here with silly questions.

I am in the market for a 2007 or 2008 new Toyota Highlander Hybrid with 4x4. Not the limited version. I am looking to lease. I am in Northern California, zip 94131.

I see MSRPs starting at $34K. But all the vehicles I see online and at the dealerships have another $4K of "optional" features loaded on to the MSRP, bringing the base price to $38k. The optional features don't seem optional at all.

My searches online haven't yielded much information on whether you can get this vehicle without the optional features.

What price are people paying for comparable vehicles out there?

Thanks for your answers.
  • edukatedredhededukatedredhed Member Posts: 41
    Hi there! Go back about 7 pages or so and read through to the end. That's what I did a few weeks ago when I was researching prices and got a lot of great information! :)
  • joshuableujoshuableu Member Posts: 4
    Hello,

WHere did you find a $1000 coupon from Totyota? I am picking up a HH Limited this week (all options) for $1,000 over invoice. Is that a good deal?
  • ocautoseekerocautoseeker Member Posts: 425
    Send me an e-mail. I have a contact (up north) for you that will handle your deal with zero BS.

e-mail: ocautoseeker@yahoo.com
  • findmefindme Member Posts: 36
    The dealership is in Louisville, KY
  • boston26boston26 Member Posts: 13
    I am looking to buy a 2008 Highlander Hybrid Limited (MSRP 39,950 + $685 destination = $40,635) with Option C (MSRP $6665) and some accessories. I will give you the exact details on the list of options and accessories so that the forum members can advice me if this price quote makes sense to go forward and buy the SUV.

Option C includes the following
    - Anti-theft alarm with engine immobilizer
    - CFC free rear automatic digital climate control system with integrated multi-functional display and air filter
    - Front CFC free dual zone automatic digital climate control system with air filter
    - Power tilt/slide moonroof with sunshade
    - Rear seat DVD entertainment system with 9-inch display, rear seat audio and two wireless headphones
    - Voice-activated DVD navigation system with JBL AM/FM 4-disc in-dash CD changer, sattelite radio capability, MP3/WMA playback capability, hands-free phone capability via Bluetooth wireless technology and nine speakers including subwoofer in seven locations

Accessories worth MSRP $1602 includes the following
    - carpeted floor, cargo and 3rd row mats, cargo net and first aid kit - MSRP $353
    - exhaust tip, mudguards and crossbars - MSRP $403
    - Emergency Assistance Kit - MSRP $70
    - VIP Glass breakage sensor - MSRP $247
    - Remote Engine Start - MSRP $529

This brings the total MSRP to $48902. The tax (5%) and the registration/ documentation fee $200 brings the total on road price (going by MSRP) to around $51,547.

In sharp contrast the on road price (going by the invoice values) is around $45,310. See below the detailed break up of figures. The offered price after the initial negotiations is $46,000.

Please advice if it is worthy enough to buy or I should shop around a bit more. Thanks much!

REAR SEAT ENTERTAINMENT SYSTEM $1,424.00 (INV) $1,780.00 (MSRP)
    NAVIGATION SYSTEM $2,211.00 (INV) $2,655.00 (MSRP)
    ANTI-THEFT ALARM W/IMMOBILIZER $176.00 (INV) $220.00 (MSRP)
    FRONT DUAL ZONE CLIMATE CONTROL SYSTEM $300.00 (INV) $375.00 (MSRP)
    AUTO REAR AIR CONDITIONING $628.00 (INV) $785.00 (MSRP)
    PWR TILT/SLIDE MOONROOF $680.00 (INV) $850.00 (MSRP)
    PREFERRED ACCESSORY PKG (carpeted floor, cargo and 3rd row mats, cargo net and first aid kit) $235.00 (INV) $353.00 (MSRP)
    CONVENIENCE ACCESSORY PKG (exhaust tip, mudguards and crossbars) $256.00 (INV) $403.00 (MSRP)
    EMERGENCY ASSISTANCE KIT $55.00 (INV) $70.00 (MSRP)
    VIP GLASS BREAKAGE SENSOR $178.00 (INV) $247.00 (MSRP)
    REMOTE ENGINE START $380.00 (INV) $529.00 (MSRP)
  • pkbrownpkbrown Member Posts: 3
    I purchased almost exactly your preferred vehicle in late December and paid $46,028. That was the Costco price ($950 over invoice).
    In addition, the Phoenix dealership was very cooperative, removed tinting that would have been illegal in California, and added (at no charge) an extra pair of wireless headphones and the heavy duty floor mats, again, at the Costco price. The only difference between the car you want and what I have is that my car came with running boards and I did NOT want the little first aid kit (have one).
    I had to fly from California to pick up the car, which the dealership had trucked from New Mexico. At that time, the rear digital climate control was not available in California (don't ask me why!). It took me the greater part of several months to find a dealership that would give me a Costco price and then another couple of weeks to find the car that I wanted, exactly. And I did most of the work finding the car.
    I am happy with the purchase now with more than 2000 miles: averaged 29 on the way home from Arizona and average 27 in my daily driving.
    Thanks very much! I appreciate your input. I will try to ask for the running boards for the no addtional cost.

Just curious... What color exterior and interior did you choose for that price? Does this include the state tax and documenattion fee as well?

All forum members: I would like to hear your experience. Would like to hear from somebody in the north east, if possible.
  • apaoneapaone Member Posts: 18
    Check with Boch Toyota in Norwood. I bought my HL Ltd from them in December. I searched their inventory online first, then sent them an email inquiring on a particular model. They sent a quote along which was $500 over their cost. Somehow Boch's "cost" number was about $500 below KBB invoice (when you add in the Toyota Ad fee of $500), so they were basically offering to sell the HL Ltd at Invoice. The best I found with other dealers was $500 over invoice.

Their offer was so good I didn't even negotiate it further when I went to buy it the next day.
    Very very helpful. I will check with them soon.

Appreciate your advice.
    It seems like none of the major Boston Toyota dealers have hybrid limited with option C (NAV and DVD entertainment) available currently in the inventory. They are not sure how long it will take to special order and get the car I want. Negotiations doesn't make sense in this situation. Its a waste of time for me and the dealer.

I am discouraged and surprised by toyota's planning to meet the US market demand. I might wait until the pilot is out if hybrids are too hard to come by. Atleast, I will be able to compare it with the non-hybrid highlander at that point in terms of performance, style and price before I decide which one to get. Normally, Honda packages the toys (NAV, DVD etc) for a better price especially when you opt for all.

Have any of forum member have had similar experience?
  • beantownbeantown Member Posts: 228
    Never thought I'd see the day when people were forking out almost $50K on a highlander. Just a few months ago, you could easily get a well equipped one with the V6 for significantly under $25K.
  • sonyswsonysw Member Posts: 34
    I think HH hybrid is overprice. Here in CA, they do not want to negotiate at all. They want to sell at MSRP.If I were you I would look at Lexus RX400h FWD hybrid with navigation. It will cost less than HH. I got a quote for $43300 just last week.
  • abelloabello Member Posts: 12
    I just got this quote in Ventura County California

Highlander Sport package (deleted 3 rd Row) 08
    Navigation system + premiumLeather seat package, Home link, heated power mirror, windshield wiper, heated front seat, power tilt/slicde moomroof, tow prep package, 19"5 spokenalloy weels/24555r19 tires safety
    Factory installed accessories: FE EH HJ LP NV QC SR TO
    Port installed accesories CF 3t

MSRP $36,004
    Invoice $31,994
    Cosco program + 550
    Plus Fees

36 Months lease with $1,500 Drive off fees $466 including taxes per month
    12 K per year

On purchase@4.9% 60 month $600 $1,500 drive off

What do you think?????
    $35,000 price includes: Navigation,leather heated seats , 3 row, sunroof, towing, homelink, cold weather , cross bar etc. just no DVD, I saw the invoice, it was $400 over invoice. It's not the basic sports.
    It looks more like a 4 X 2? make sure.
    Is it too high?

Feel free to recommended me a dealer
  • jldavisjldavis Member Posts: 8
    Thanks for all of the great information. I am waiting for the HiHy I ordered to arrive, and will use this information in my negotiations.
    Let me know if you can do better?

I still need to wait a couple of weeks

Thanks
    I just got this quote in Ventura County California

Could I do Better?

Highlander Sport package (deleted 3 rd Row) 08
    Navigation system + premium Leather seat package, Home link, heated power mirror, windshield wiper, heated front seat, power tilt/slicde moomroof, tow prep package, 19"5 spokenalloy weels/24555r19 tires safety
    Factory installed accessories: FE EH HJ LP NV QC SR TO
    Port installed accesories CF 3t

MSRP $36,004
    Invoice $31,994 Cosco program + 550
    Plus Fees

36 Months lease with $1,500 Drive off fees $466 including taxes per month
    12 K per year

On purchase 4.9% 60 month $600 $1,500 drive off
  • tinsytinsy Member Posts: 6
    Thanks for the help. I did sign up for the Platinum care at my dealership.
    7/100,000 for 900.00
    I would not have had the leverage had it not been for this forum. Thank you everyone.

I bought the Highlander Limited 2x4 MSRP 40,300 for 35,300 OTD I felt I had an excellent deal. In my state we pay sales tax seperately directly to the state. So to keep all the paper work in one place it was worth it.

Just curious though, since I can't really detail out everything that was listed on the sticker...such as Extra Mile Pkg D on the dealer invoice. Would anyone have an idea just what I did pay vs. dealer cost?
    It has Navi, JBL, rearA/C-Heat, , power rear door, Pearl White, stainless steel pipe, Power moonroof, sunroof, Heated seats, Vehicle Shield Pkg.P4, Extra Mile PkgD

Thanks for your help. I really like driving the car.
    Tinsy,

It looks like you did real good
    what State are you in?
    Did you finance the car ?
    if so what were the terms?
    Or if you leased what where the terms

Thanks
  • tinsytinsy Member Posts: 6
    I bought in Oklahoma. 5.4% apr was the loan price thru Toyota, which for around here was a good %, the banks were higher.
  • mmoreno1978mmoreno1978 Member Posts: 106
    No. Bad deal. You should be between $300 to $500 over invoice. The coupons were in effect in December until January 2nd.
  • btibetsybtibetsy Member Posts: 2
    Been quoted 34,700 from dealer in IL for Highlander Limited with all options except DVD and Nav. Is that ok? What should I expect to pay for similar setup with the Hybrid version? Thanks
  • darklyte24darklyte24 Member Posts: 3
    I want a Green or Cypress pearl sport 4x4 with option package D.

MSRP 31400+1570$ plus 685 destination charge. then tax and paperwork
    33655 before taxes

guy said he would have to order and gave me a price of 30917$ + 8.25% + 350$ paperwork = 33817$ out the door. since this would be a order, thats the best price he said.

ive been told to ask for 32500 which is about 1k$ less or 500$ above invoice.

guy said he would do something if that was a car in stock. this is in bay area CAlifornia

Current deals are 2.9% for 36 mo and 3.9% for 48 mo.
    with the economy doing bad i think they will lower the rates again..
    darklyte,

e-mail me @ ocautoseeker@yahoo.com, I have a fleet contact at San Francisco Toyota who will make buying your Highlander a breeze! There will no hassle and you'll get just as good of a price if you do infact need to order one. There will be no BS!
  • catdaddylongcatdaddylong Member Posts: 53
    The MSRP is $34,845 and invoice is $30,850 according to the Edmunds web site. TMV is $32,057 here in Little Rock, AR. What would I be expected to pay for this vehicle if I have to order as there are no other Highlanders in the area with the options and color scheme that I want. I do not want to pay for a bunch of options that I do not want.
    I have been running into problems trying to find a Hylander Sport AWD. I want Blizzard Pearl with the Gray leather interior (2 row seating eliminating the 3'rd row). I also want the tow package, power rear door, dual zone AC in the front. I have called a couple of dealers with these details and they get back with a quote on a HL that does not only have these options but with options I do not care to have. When I ask about ordering I had one tell me he could get what I wanted in less than a month but it would not have the tow package. With the tow package it would be 4 to 6 months! Also the quotes I have been getting are about $600 more than the Edmunds TMV for my area. I am going to buy the HL with cash, No trade in. Do the dealers know we are in a recession? I figure when you are going to spend 30 plus on an automobile you better get the options you want. Am I too picky or what? When you shop by phone should I ask for the sales manager? It seems that the salesmen I talk to always have to "get" with their boss. The last two cars I bought was a BMW and a Lexus and they have spoiled me on the car buying experience. When I say I want your best deal, why do I get the feeling they are giving me high ball price, like $1800 over invoice? Should I just give them the TMV price that Edmunds figures and say take it or leave it? Any suggestions to cut through the BS would be appreciated. :confuse:
    First off, throw Edmunds TMV out the door... it's useless!

Second, understand that dealer factory invoices typically include a regional advertising fee called TDA (for Toyota and Lexus). This is why if you view an invoice on Edmunds or KBB, then ask the dealer for his invoice, it's typically higher (most of the time around $400-$500). It's a legit fee that they are charged form the manufacturer and is indeed itemized on the invoice.

Third, not exactly sure what region you live in, but in most competitive markets, a Highlander with the sport trim can typically be had for $250-$500 over invoice.

Fourth, understand that selling cars is a business and most dealer's will never give you their "best price" upfront, especially if you're dealing with a retail salesman who does not have the ability to "desk his own deals." Nothing against a retail guy, but they are simply used to messenger numbers between the desk and you (the customer). It's a waste of time.

Fifth, never ever tell a dealer that you are paying cash for a vehicle. At the very least, tell them you're undecided. Dealer's make a bunch of money on the back-end marking up finance/lease rates and selling a bunch of useless garbage. If you tell them you're paying cash and have no trade-in, they only see one area to make some money, as oppossed to three. Cash is NOT king in the car biz!

Sixth, as for special orders, it really all depends on where a particular dealer gets its vehicles from. Certain plants may have different manufacturing capabilities and thus the reason why your build order may not be approved at the closest factory. Talk to either a Fleet manager or a Sales manager (not an Internet manager) about ordering. Let him know which options you want and let him tell you if it's possible or not. Ask him for a realistic delivery date. Negotiate the price of the vehicle before you decide to order it, that way there will be no surprises when it arrives. You will also receive whatever rebates andd incentives are available at the time you take delivery, Not when you place the order.

Lastly, be courteous, professional and firm in your negotiations, but don't be a jerk or act like a know-it-all. Dealer's realize that people want the lowest price, but they also realize that their bosses want them to hold some gross profit in the vehicle too. So, knowing where the invoice is on your particular vehicle, I'd say start at invoice ($500 below if you want be really aggressive) and work your way up to No more than $500 over, knowing that is still a very aggressive selling price.

Good Luck!
    Thanks for some good info especially about the cash thing. It's a shame we have to play games but I guess buying a car is still not too far from horse trading. I live in Arkansas and I have found that Houston is the port where Toyota's are configured with certain options. I have expanded my search into Texas (Dallas area) as I have bought cars at a much better price than here in the Central Arkansas market.
    I have a question for you. If the invoice price that the dealer has is say $500 over the Edmunds invoice then if you make an offer of $500 over the dealer's invoice, then you are about $1000 over the Edmunds invoice price but you are now real close to the Edmunds TMV price which here in Central Arkansas is about $1200 over invoice for the vehicle I want. The dealers here are quoting me ball park figures $1800 to $2500 over invoice are just a few hundred below MSRP ! Do I just go ahead and say this is what I will pay ($500 over invoice) and if refused just walk out the door?
    I have another question for you. Say you find a dealer that gives you a good deal say $500 over invoice but they are located way out of the way at least an hours drive where as the closest dealer is just 7 miles from your home but they were too high. Would you have any problem buying a vehicle from a far way dealer and then taking it in for service to the closer dealer from your home?
  • lucky_777lucky_777 Member Posts: 205
    You can take your vehicle to any Toyota dealer in the US for service. Dealer will get paid by you for maintenance or Toyota in case of warranty repair.
  • 1headlight1headlight Member Posts: 24
    I am in the Los Angeles area and over the last couple of months (Dec. and Jan) have visited two of what are considered the highest volume Toyota dealers in the county.

What is with the lack of inventory of the HL Hybrid? Searching the online inventory today only 10 HL Hybrids. The flipside - today 110 HL gassers. Hybrids are only 8% of the total Highlander inventory. Inventory around on the HL Hybrid has been basically this way for the last 2 1/2 months.

Some of the dealer sales manager and salesperson responses -

1) Early shipping delays of the Hybrids due to unknown reason.

2) High demand by all dealers for HL Hybrid.

3) Fewer are manufactured thus fewer available.

Well, okay maybe plausible to some degree. This is February 2008. Not September 2007. What gives here?
    Disappointing planning by Toyota. I am also on the same boat. 2 months and still waiting for the right vehicle at the right price. If Toyota wishes to keep "moving forward" with the hybrid drive as a viable transportation mode, they better re-invent their supply chain. I also truly hope that detroit does a good job to be a viable competitor to Toyota in this niche category just so that Toyota do their homework to meet consumer demands and to bring the cost down.
  • ighigh Member Posts: 60
    I am waiting here in the bay area and watched in dismay yesterday the
    Carsdirect.com price go back up to MSRP from 2000 below on the HH.

I think due to the weak dollar and as HHs are exclusively made in Japan,
    Toyota is not making much money on the HH. So the idea is to keep the
    price high by restricting supply but still keep their green image going.
    They are moving production this year to the US. I think supply will only increase after that.

Cant wait much longer. Might have to go for the base model instead of Limited. :(
  • 1headlight1headlight Member Posts: 24
    I was not aware of the manufacturing location of Highlander which for the 2008 model is the plant in Ikeda, Osaka exclusively. As a curious note the Highlander goes by its Kluger model name in Japan and other parts of the world.

As for your comment about moving production of the Highlander to the US, this will take place at the Mississipi plant which broke ground in April 2007. Delivery of the Highlander from this plant will not occur until 2010.

I searched most of the online resources of Toyota, but I could not find any information or comments in regards to production numbers of the gasser and/or hybrid models of the Highlander for 2007 or 2008. Nor delivery timelines

This could be sensitive and competitive industry information?

Wish there were more Kluger Hybrids comin' to town ;)